Topic: DC Movie Universe

Since the old thread is no more...

They've revealed the new Batman costume at SDCC and well... I kinda hate the crap out of it. Where is the armor? Where is the effort? It would look better without the bat symbol on front, but even then, it looks like it's made out of an old vinyl table cloth. I get what they're going for, but I don't need a stylized costume for the movie. I need it to look like something that Batman would actually wear when he is made of flesh and blood.

Maybe it's just a bad picture. Maybe it will look better with lighting and stuff... I hope. Because the Affleck thing was bad enough, they could at least make the costume look cool.

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Ben-Affleck-batsuit-debuts-393x700.jpg

Re: DC Movie Universe

There's a version of Batman in the comics where he's in his fifties or sixties and he's wearing a suit that looks like this with the big bat symbol. I think it's the "Dark night Returns" suit, at least that's what they call it on the Arkham City game. It looks almost exactly like in that game except for the utility belt.

http://thatshortguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/batman-arkham-city-skins.png

Second one from the left.

WAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah that seems to be the inspiration, but it looks ridiculous for live action.

Side note: I really want a Batman Beyond movie.

So, uh, is Batman the bad guy in this movie?

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/assets/4815104/wonderwoman.jpg

Better than Batman. I am curious to see how this movie turns out. I loved the feel of Man of Steel, but this seems much more stylized and Miller-esque. I'm not sure that is a great tone to set for a franchise that will span many movies and characters.

Man of Steel was subdued in a lot of ways. It seemed artistic... Almost Shyamalan-style in some of the scenes. Will this be over the top?

Wonder Woman looks great.

Batman.....meh.  Supermeh.  Bat-meh.  The symbol is gigantic and is way too wide/tall.  I think it looks ridiculous.

There's not a whole lot about this movie that has been inspiring for me.

I kinda agree. Oddly enough, it is the Cavill involvement that gives me hope at this point. I doubted him before I saw footage, and it turned out great.

Here's hoping for the same here.

I'll see it the first day it comes out.  I'll eagerly watch the trailers when they come out.  I'd even love to go to the ComicCon panel next summer for it.

There's so much that could be great.  Bruce and Lex trying to rebuild Metropolis.  Making the carnage in MoS mean something.  Batman up against Superman.  I can almost get behind an older Batman up against a young Superman (although I still think it's the wrong way to go).

But so many decisions they've made are so questionable.  I just need to see some footage for me to feel better.

Exactly.

Going back to MoS, I was skeptical about the casting (partially because of stuff that was happening in the comic books around that time and the push to take away the "American way" part of Superman in the past). When I saw the costume, with the weird stuff on the sides, I was worried. I never minded the texture of the suit, but it seemed like they might be going toward the Tim Burton type extreme Superman style. When I heard that Zod was the villain, I thought that it might be too soon to do Zod and maybe they should keep it more Earth-based... Diane Lane's casting was weird. Amy Adams wouldn't have been my first choice... there was a lot to wonder about.

Then I saw the trailer, and the beautiful shot of young Clark with the cape, with the laundry blowing in the wind. I think that shot alone settled my nerves.

The same stuff is happening here. I have so many doubts, but if they would just show us what they showed people at ComicCon, maybe I would feel better about it. All I need is something that tells me that this isn't too Frank Miller-y. I don't want Sin City or even The Dark Knight Returns, but that is sorta the feel I get from that Batman suit. The Dark Knight Returns was a good read, but it was its own world. It has no place in the proper canon of the franchise.

The ComicCon footage is everywhere.  I've been trying to find the Avengers 2 footage and it's nowhere.  I think WB is allowing the footage to leak to calm nerves or combat Avengers buzz because I saw it several places and haven't seen a blip of the Avengers stuff.

The teaser is about what you'd expect - the only problem is that the FatBat symbol is all over it.  And I'm going to change my stance - I hate it.  The symbol looks awful.

I have to look for that. Hopefully good quality, without anyone's head blocking the camera.

There seems to be one copy that is circulating with this annoying kid who screams when (something) happens.  There really isn't much to it.  It's dark and it's hard (in the video) to tell that it's even Affleck in the Batman costume.  No dialogue.

It's sad but the batman costume guarantees that I will not be seeing this movie in the theater if at all.

Yeah but... the Wonder Woman costume.

:-)

What's weird is that the first image of Superman seems to be from the teaser.  Where the Hell is Wonder Woman supposed to be?  Is part of this movie taking place inside a volcano where Diana has to sword fight?

Judging by the rebar scattered around, I think that is a city. Maybe the ruins of Metropolis?

Interesting.

I don't really have an opinion on the Batsuit or the massive number of characters in DAWN OF JUSTICE. I hope it's good. I'll wait to see the movie before having any thoughts on quality.

To be honest, I don't necessarily come to this with a viewpoint that corresponds to any of yours -- for one thing, I think live action is the wrong medium for superheroes to begin with and would prefer to see them in cel-shaded 3D animation.

DC/Warner Bros. has earned bonus points with this latest news:
https://movies.yahoo.com/news/dwayne-jo … 06881.html

They are back on my good side after that Baffleck casting.

Okay, so Snyder released a better image of the Batmobile.

It looks like the Tumbler, but is anyone else weirded out by the fact that it has a huge f-ing minigun on the front?  Batman hates guns.  So unless this is the Batman Beyond Bruce who'd lost enough of his mojo that he was forced to pick up a gun to save himself.....I don't get it.  And I know that Bruce has put guns inside the Batmobile before (there were guns on the Tumbler, I think - and I think the Batpod had guns on the side), but they're not used as a weapon - it's just to weaken structures before he blasts through them.

I don't know.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but there was something unsettling about seeing a huge gun on the front of the car.

Here's a link to an article and several Batmobile pics....

http://blog.caranddriver.com/new-batmob … crossover/

WAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have to wait and see it in action. Maybe he has bullets with boxing gloves on the tips. smile

Well, I can see it as a source of intimidation, I guess.  I'd be freaked out if I saw that barreling towards me if I were a criminal.  And Batman has certainly done things like that since intimidation is one of his primary weapons.

And like I said, I think guns and bombs and missiles have been a part of every Bat-vehicle used in film.

My concern is the front-and-centerness of it.  Batman is basically sticking a gun in their faces, and it just doesn't seem very true to the character.

My worry level continues to rise.

When it comes to Batman, there have been a lot of questionable decisions made. But with most of the other elements/casting, the news has been pretty good. So I don't know what to think at this point.

I'm wondering if, maybe, Bruce puts the gun on the Batmobile directly to deal with Superman?  Clearly a batarang won't work so maybe he militarizes the Batmobile in an attempt to deal with Clark?

But you gotta think Bruce, especially a veteran Batman, would know that guns were completely ineffective against Superman.  So what's the point?

What if they were bullets made from whatever remained of the Kryptonian ship or suits? Maybe the kryptonite in this universe won't be a green glowing rock.