Re: The X-Files

For anyone interested, looks like the X Files origins books are coming out soon.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/25/x- … y-excerpts

102 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-11-30 16:07:55)

Looks like negotiations for season 11 have hit a snag, and its not clear what may happen.
https://thexcastblog.wordpress.com/2016 … 11-glitch/

Sad, since both sides were originally pretty bullish on it.

Ugh.

First of all, the Fox network is not Fox News. The normal broadcast network has always been pretty liberal. When was the last time they had a conservative show?

I could see Gilliam Anderson giving up on America since she already lives elsewhere. But it is stupid to shun their job becUse they're throwing an election tantrum. I doubt that is the problem

I think k that the episode count is more likely the problem. But I don't see why they couldn't just focus on Mulder and Scully for eight episodes and a new team for eight episodes. Pass the baton. It's not like Mulder and Scully can do the... y'know... younger stories anymore.

I would wait for an official announcement of anything. It's not the first time Gillian Anderson's been misquoted or misunderstood regarding her willingness to return to the series. And given the huge ratings success of the revival, I can't see FOX giving up. Negotiations may stall, availability may delay production, but this is a situation where there's money to be made. If THE X-FILES isn't coming back, FOX and Chris Carter would at least explain why to the press and until they do that, we shouldn't doubt the series' return... even if some of us admittedly think the show was better off on permanent hiatus.

Gillian has been booking stuff like crazy, so I take this pretty seriously.

I would figure the sticking point is in fact the number of episodes.  FOX probably can't do much with just 6, but 13 is likely more amenable to their marketing team.  Can't imagine David or Gillian are all that thrilled about doing the show for that length of time though. 

Look they had to kind of "reset" the mythos, which they did, to some level of consternation.  That being said, I think they could have moved forward again.  To me this was not really the same show.  Same characters and actors, yes, but it wasn't the same.  I don't think it "injured" the legacy of the original run, not nearly as much as the later seasons or the 2nd movie did. 

I would also think that a new team could have come in and picked up the slack.  I assumed that was the plan when they hired Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose.

I like Amell and Ambrose, but it would be too distracting to have the new leads be clones of Mulder and Scully... unless they are revealed to actually be clones... that might be funny.

I have no problem with them bringing in new characters though. Hell, I didn't mind Doggett and Reyes. I just minded that they insisted on making Mulder and Scully the focus of the show, even after both of those actors had more or less left the series. The writers rejected Doggett and Reyes for no reason.

www.universityherald.com/articles/52808/20161201/x-files-season-11-news-mere-logistics-fix-carter-eyes.htm

Chris Carter says the show is coming back.

That's an older quote. At the time, it looked like things were in motion.

The site is just an SEO play.

Ah, sorry. Well, I stand by my position. There's too much money to throw away here. Negotiations may stall, actors may wander, but THE X-FILES is coming back unless Gillian responds to my tweet to tell me otherwise.

111 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-12-01 23:23:36)

ireactions wrote:

Ah, sorry. Well, I stand by my position. There's too much money to throw away here. Negotiations may stall, actors may wander, but THE X-FILES is coming back unless Gillian responds to my tweet to tell me otherwise.

I certainly hope cooler heads prevail, but at the very least, 2017 seems out of the question, and if we get a season 11, it's conceivable it wouldn't be until 2019.

Nice to hear it's still on track, and the delay is in fact Gillian's schedule.  Quite ironic that she's the one with the gigs now, and not David!

Grizzlor wrote:

Nice to hear it's still on track, and the delay is in fact Gillian's schedule. Quite ironic that she's the one with the gigs now, and not David!

Is that being reported anywhere? Because I'm not seeing anything.

If you're referring to something from those SEO sites that do long roundups on its status, that's not really legitimate, and is just old news. There are a number of them that come up when you search X-Files.

Grizzlor is mistaken, sadly. There is no news other than X-FILES scientific consultant Anne Simon reporting that negotiations have stalled.

However, that doesn't mean negotiations couldn't begin again at a later date. And, if nothing else, RussianCabbieLotteryfan has introduced me to the concept of search engine optimization sites and now I will know to dismiss them.

The real news here is that The X-Files had a scientific consultant.

Anne Simon, the scientific consultant, reported on Twitter that she's had a conversation with Chris Carter and she posted, "He is ADAMANT that #TheXfiles WON'T end on cliffhanger!There will be more.Keep the faith!"

So... no details, but Carter is still working on getting back on the air as soon as possible to exasperate Informant and prompt lengthy message board posts from me.

Yep. No x-files for a while.  Very nice.

I saw an article on Yahoo TV and the episode about the were-lizard was voted one of the top 20 TV episodes this season.
for anyone interested..

It seems to be taking on a more British approach... they'll do it, but when they're damn well ready. smile

And I'll probably get excited again, only to have my hopes dashed. If only we could take Chris Carter out of this discussion. Maybe he could retire to Hawaii or go fight climate change with Leo DiCaprio in the arctic... and they could take Matt Damon!

I love this idea!!!

The X-Files Reborn: An Alternate Vision of the 2016 Revival
I have been pondering what I would have done if handed THE X-FILES, a 2016 airdate, six episodes, a TV budget, the return of the original lead actors and nine seasons of unresolved plots building to an alien invasion that was supposed to happen 3 - 4 years previous. Chris Carter wanted to keep the myth-arc going. I think it'd have been better to just end the myth-arc, wrap up Colonization and deal with it in a single episode.

My solution: we start in 2016 with Mulder and Scully just as they were in the Revival: Mulder living alone, Scully a doctor, both of them amicably broken up. Earth doesn't seem to have been Colonized. In my version, Mulder and Scully meet up once a month for lunch. We join them for their latest meetup and they have a weird conversation where Scully talks about how she's so distant from the world of investigating aliens now that she forgets that she believes in them.

Mulder says that believing or disbelieving in them makes no difference anymore. We hint that SOMETHING happened on December 22, 2012 -- and this uninvaded Earth is the outcome.

Skinner calls. He needs help. There's been a series of brutal murders. The killer painted on the walls in the victims' blood, writing ALIEN CONSPIRATOR, HUMAN COLLABORATOR and TRAITOR. Mulder, an 'expert' in alien conspiracies, is rehired by the FBI to look into it and Mulder makes it a condition that Scully's rehired too. They begin investigating.

The victims are FEMA employees, bureaucrats at the Mount Weather military complex, people who worked in the Strughold Mining Company, the Galpex Corporation -- and Mulder realizes: all these people were part of the Syndicate's plan to pave the way for Colonization in 2012. The killer is targeting conspirators whom he hates for selling out the human race.

The killer takes a Strughold Mining office hostage and threatens to blow himself and the employees up unless the conspirators show themselves. Mulder is sent in to negotiate. He tells the killer: the lead conspirators are all dead now. The killer's been pointlessly targeting their support staff. The killer insists that Colonization must have started in 2012, covertly and secretly.

Mulder reveals the truth: Colonization almost started, but then there was a series of accidents involving the time machine from "Synchrony" and an incident related to the episode "4-D" involving several parallel universes colliding with this one.

The end result: planet Earth is out of sync with the aliens' plane of reality. Their spacetime warping invasion ships cannot travel to Earth anymore. Aliens can't touch our planet and we can't touch them. Colonization's cancelled.

The killer doesn't believe Mulder and triggers the countdown on his bomb vest; Mulder successfully overpowers him and locks the killer in a steel vault that contains the explosion and saves the hostages.

Mulder and Scully prepare to leave the FBI and return to their post-X-Files lives only to discover that in the 14 years since they left, there've been a sizable number of new cases with potential monsters of the week.

They realize that even without aliens, there's still plenty for the X-Files to do. And then we move the hell on and just do Monsters of the Week and never deal with god-damn aliens again.

Well. We can still do stories where humans find alien tech left behind on Earth during the days when Colonization was being planned. We can have some aliens who were stranded on Earth and do alien stories with them. But we move on from Colonization. We move on, god damn it!

I propose that we pretend that The X-Files Reborn be taken as X-Files canon within the Sliders board community. All in favor?

It is a good solution. Mulder not only speaks this person's language when it comes to aliens, but it could utilize Mulder's oft-forgotten skills as a criminal profiler. It calls for a distinction between someone who rightfully pursues the truth about a conspiracy that actually did exist, and someone who is so obsessed with this truth that they become the threat to themselves and others. Where does Mulder fit on that spectrum? Where does Scully?

And discovering that nobody has been pursuing the monsters of the week for that stretch of time opens the door for Mulder and Scully to recruit and train new X-Files team members.

I like it!

I think when the president is Donald Trump, not sure if they can write anything off the wall enough to be considered an "X-file."

Informant wrote:

I propose that we pretend that The X-Files Reborn be taken as X-Files canon within the Sliders board community. All in favor?

To be honest, I'd rather you canonized SLIDERS REBORN first.

Informant wrote:

It is a good solution. Mulder not only speaks this person's language when it comes to aliens, but it could utilize Mulder's oft-forgotten skills as a criminal profiler. It calls for a distinction between someone who rightfully pursues the truth about a conspiracy that actually did exist, and someone who is so obsessed with this truth that they become the threat to themselves and others. Where does Mulder fit on that spectrum? Where does Scully?

I didn't even think of that! I thought of the killer as representing the alien conspiracy: compelling and splashy but now incoherent, insane, outdated, obsessed with the past at the expense of the future, explosively unstable -- and for the good of THE X-FILES and everyone in it, the alien conspiracy plot is locked in a vault, isolated from anyone it might harm and left to blow itself up as we always knew it would, freeing THE X-FILES to focus on what actually matters.

But yes. All the elements you point out are indeed there. Albeit unintentionally.

ireactions wrote:

To be honest, I'd rather you canonized SLIDERS REBORN first.

Bah. Anyone could have written Sliders Reborn! The X-Files stuff is your greatest accomplishment! I really appreciate the effort that you put into it.

(I'm just going to duck and cover now)

I didn't really think of any characterization for the killer, although I do like yours. I think, also, the killer should have a dated, oversized Nokia dumbphone; a G-Shock wristwatch; cargo pants; a solid gray shirt under a blazer -- all these fashion trends of the 90s. And the killer should be holding that phone and wearing these clothes when Mulder throws him into a bank vault and lets him detonate himself.

I don't know if this is a good way to approach stories.

126 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2017-01-06 16:04:30)

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/remote- … 201953719/

Podcast with a fox exec. 15:38  Talks about unknown status of x-files.

http://tvline.com/2017/01/11/the-x-file … -episodes/

“A lot of conversations are going on. As you can imagine, these conversations are complex. We hope to be able to announce something shortly.” (The exec later confirmed that goal is to order more than Season 10’s six episodes but less than 22).

Good news. Thanks for posting.