Topic: New John Rhys-Davies Sliders Interview

He talks about how Sliders was the single biggest missed opportunity in his life and that Sliders could be revived. The scripts were mostly gibberish: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/news/ … f-my-life/

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

2 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-02-23 19:28:55)

Re: New John Rhys-Davies Sliders Interview

Jim_Hall wrote:

He talks about how Sliders was the single biggest missed opportunity in his life and that Sliders could be revived. The scripts were mostly gibberish: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/news/ … f-my-life/

Thanks for posting!

He obviously wanted the show to be way more scientific and alt-history like. It just makes me wonder to what degree he appreciated that they did in season 1 and 2, and what he thought of Torme and Weiss' direction of having heart, charm, satire, quirkness to the show.  It did not go in a serious direction much of the time.

Not only that, how would he feel about returning to a show where Torme was the writer? He would be stupid not to. Clearly, Sliders could have been more serious, science based and alt-history like but it also worked very well the way it was implemented - and the creators weren't pure sci-fi guys, both had comedy backgrounds.

It's difficult to know what period within the show he is actually discussing, especially with the 'gibberish scripts' comments, but interesting thoughts none-the-less. He is definitely right about the scope of the show. It had the potential to be massive. Such a shame.

And hell yes to a better written revival / reboot.

He's been saying the same thing for years.  If you read Brad Linaweaver's book he pretty much spells out what his issues were...in 1996!  Tracy has alluded to the difficulties he had with John as well.  I think for sure he soured on the material during season 2.  I suppose he enjoyed the first season scripts, but who knows?  I love JRD, but I think his expectations were a bit overboard for the era of television.  That being said, TV writing is still an insider's club filled with friends of friends and family of family, rather than worthy writers.

His expectations were high for the time, but I think they're doable now. Imagine a Netflix version of Sliders, produced by Ron Moore or Bryan Fuller.

I've always thought that the Sliders didn't necessarily need to slide in and out in one episode. I always thought they could have had multi-episode arcs on these worlds, but the formula of the time wouldn't allow it. Now we have shows like Legends of Tomorrow proving the theory. In the 90's, it would be a different time jump in every episode, but they spent a few episodes in 1975 (or whatever year it was) and it worked fine.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

6 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-02-25 00:40:29)

It's interesting: in the last couple of years, JRD, Cleavant Derricks, Jerry and Torme all have publicly commented in interviews regarding their thoughts on a Sliders revival. Only Sabrina, living abroad, has not said anything on record.

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

It's interesting: in the last couple of years, JRD, Cleavant Derricks, Jerry and Torme all have publicly commented in interviews regarding their thoughts on a Sliders revival. Only Sabrina, living abroad, has not said anything on record.

*Puts on deep voice*

The time is almost at hand...

It's produce-able now in terms of budget and technology.  However, I think John's point was that the writing was short on imagination.  Beyond Tracy's scripts, hard not to agree.  Many of the S2 episodes were guest star driven, with very little science fiction.  I agree completely with Info, a multi-episode arc would make the most sense.  Wouldn't be rushed, you could really develop the story in terms of how different this Earth is. 

SyFy has upped the bar on the production quality IMO of their science fiction shows, especially since NBC took over.  That would be the logical home.  Plus all their stuff is like 13 episode orders, so you would have an easier time getting the actors, wouldn't cost as much, and no need for filler scripts that don't cut the mustard.

It'd be cool if they did redo the show. I could see the second episode being a real mind game. Instead of having something like Quinn's dead father, the characters could see a hundred little things that may or may not be different. It could be a post-sliding psychosis, or they could actually be on the wrong world. They could have to choose to leave based on that uncertainty.

Unfortunately though, I don't see the original Sliders playing large roles in the show, unless they were playing different characters. I think it would be a complete reimagining.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

They could be brought back as themselves at some point easily.  I don't think the exact same characters NEED to be reused.  Could start with a group formed in a different way than the original (whizkid, girlfriend, professor, goofy bystander), although I wouldn't stretch it that, that far.

11 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-02-25 19:13:42)

I don't think everyone here is accounting for the strong bias in the marketplace (by that i mean networks and network executives) against sliders.  It's later seasons had some terrible, cheap 90s tv.  Networks are trying to do adult sophisticated, smart nowadays.  The show has a tainted legacy. They're up against some challenges in getting someone to take it on, though I do think it's possible, and they'd have to have the right pitch / approach.

That's why it would have to be a fresh day-zero reboot - not a continuation (loose or otherwise), with some well-thought out alternate earths and sci fi put back into the forefront.

I don't think networks would be against a Sliders reboot. Sliders had a decent share of popularity during its original run, and continues to make Universal money even today- it's popular enough (outside of us) to warrant the entire series being released on DVD, both as individual seasons and later as a complete series, also had the first 2 season re-released on DVD, and enjoys continued licenses on Netlfix, Hulu and Amazon streaming.

Regarding sliding in and out each episode, I actually prefer it that way. I did enjoy the few episodes that had multiple worlds in one episodes (in addition to bumper worlds), but to have multiple episodes dedicated to one world, I'd rather not have that. Exodus is 2 episodes, and that was a bit drawn out for me. The episodes are an hour anyway, that enough time on an earth for me. I like only needing to dedicate one episode to watching a full story.

I feel like Sabrina would do it if everybody else did it. But I think it would take the combined pull of her three co-stars and Tracy.

Hey, it's good timing, too: the X Files is doing an original-cast reboot, why not Sliders? Even if it was only a mini-series.

*adds a few lines of dialogue to SLIDERS REBORN's final script so that any live-action revival won't knock REBORN out of continuity*

(Just in case.)

intangirble wrote:

I feel like Sabrina would do it if everybody else did it. But I think it would take the combined pull of her three co-stars and Tracy.

Hey, it's good timing, too: the X Files is doing an original-cast reboot, why not Sliders? Even if it was only a mini-series.

She's completely retired from acting and lives in Uganda, Africa.

Every time I turn around, Sabrina is in a different country!

Grizzlor wrote:
intangirble wrote:

She's completely retired from acting and lives in Uganda, Africa.

Well, she did return to LA in 2012 and appeared in an independent film.

I can't see her being involved in a series unless she's done with living abroad (her husband works for the U.N.) but I could definitely see her returning for a few weeks to shoot something for a movie or mini-series if the gang was all back.

2013, actually. It was "The Pretty One".

Do we know for sure she's still in Uganda? I don't think there's been much concrete info for a while now. Last I heard she was in either Uganda or Rome, and she was also back in New York for a while (but seemed to not be enjoying herself). She travels almost as much as Wade does; I think they have that restless spirit in common. More power to her.

But yeah, I doubt she'd be talked into a full series, but she's proven willing to come back for short periods for the right person.

intangirble wrote:

2013, actually. It was "The Pretty One".

Do we know for sure she's still in Uganda? I don't think there's been much concrete info for a while now. Last I heard she was in either Uganda or Rome, and she was also back in New York for a while (but seemed to not be enjoying herself). She travels almost as much as Wade does; I think they have that restless spirit in common. More power to her.

But yeah, I doubt she'd be talked into a full series, but she's proven willing to come back for short periods for the right person.

Her blog is pretty comprehensive of her life's events. I haven't checked it in a while but if she moved again, she'd probably post it there. I believe she was in Uganda, then Rome, then back to Uganda.  Her husband is a U.N. employee and they can get relocated like that.

I think "The Pretty One" was filmed in 2012 - but was released in 2013.

I don't think everyone here is accounting for the strong bias in the marketplace (by that i mean networks and network executives) against sliders.  It's later seasons had some terrible, cheap 90s tv.  Networks are trying to do adult sophisticated, smart nowadays.  The show has a tainted legacy. They're up against some challenges in getting someone to take it on, though I do think it's possible, and they'd have to have the right pitch / approach.

Modernizing and improving a cheaply made series with potential can and has been done.  Did you not see Battlestar Galactica?

Her blog is pretty comprehensive of her life's events. I haven't checked it in a while but if she moved again, she'd probably post it there. I believe she was in Uganda, then Rome, then back to Uganda.  Her husband is a U.N. employee and they can get relocated like that.

I think "The Pretty One" was filmed in 2012 - but was released in 2013.

UN employee, oh so that's the reason!

Modernizing and improving a cheaply made series with potential can and has been done.  Did you not see Battlestar Galactica?

To begin with it was good but turned to Crap mystical slapped together stuff like the FInal Five and Cylon Earth togethr with embracing Ludditeism

You are correct that salvaging a Show can be done as prior to nBSG there was the awful Galactica 1980 which seemed to be BSG's Death Knell until nBSG.

Interestingly though BSG has more similarity to Sliders than you might think.

BSG almost got rebooted in a Sequel/Continuation by the Shows original Creative Drivers but I think the Twin Towers led to Cast being dismissed, BUilt Sets being destroyed etc.

It got a lot further than Sliders under Torme for Season 4 on Sci Fi Channel but hat too nearly happened but sadly no Torme Cast or Sets almost happened before Peckinpah Cursed the Show once more.

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-