Re: Jerry O'Connell talks Sliders History and a Possible Reboot

ireactions wrote:

However, we tried that and... well, we hit the problem I described above; the people contributing to the project came to the gradual but inescapable conclusion that they would gain more profit from doing their own stuff. Hell, Matt is constantly advising me to drop the SLIDERS stuff and write my spunky teen girl detective series instead.

Has anyone actually approached Universal proposing books or comics? I know there's an entire publishing arm that has to go with it, but I've found that tie-in works to a property can sometimes be easier to achieve.

Webmaster of the old-school Sliders fan page at Geocities/TimesSquare/1473 (Archive.org copy here: https://web.archive.org/web/20091027062 … quare/1473)

52 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-04-10 15:41:17)

SliderTen wrote:
ireactions wrote:

However, we tried that and... well, we hit the problem I described above; the people contributing to the project came to the gradual but inescapable conclusion that they would gain more profit from doing their own stuff. Hell, Matt is constantly advising me to drop the SLIDERS stuff and write my spunky teen girl detective series instead.

Has anyone actually approached Universal proposing books or comics? I know there's an entire publishing arm that has to go with it, but I've found that tie-in works to a property can sometimes be easier to achieve.

I don't think Universal owns any comic book companies (not in that business), but maybe I am wrong?  Assuming I am not a licensing deal with another party would be the only way.

Lion Forge, that did a bunch of licensing of universal series, a couple of years ago, was the best bet for the comic book route, but I dont think they've been particularly successful.  They had licensed Airwolf, Punky Brewster, Saved By the Bell, and some others.  I'm just guessing they haven't necessarily done well enough to follow up and expand to more series (like sliders).

Some people, including I believe temporal flux, had looked into doing a comic.  The production costs are minimum like 15-20k... art, writing isn't cheap, and it would be difficult to make commercial viable unless you really know what you are doing and its not your lone property.

I don't think the orignal Sliders comic did even all that well either. I've gotten the sense that the sliders audience isn't necessarily the comic book audience either (which seems to be more super hero focused) but perhaps I am wrong about that.

53 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-04-10 15:58:20)

SliderTen wrote:

What I think the true issues are with Sliders is this: It never had enough traction when it WAS on TV to ever get a second thought as a reboot. We have to remember some key things about Sliders:

1. We fought tooth and nail to get season two made. If it wasn't for the email campaign that crashed FOX's servers, Sliders would've joined VR-5 for good.

2. Sliders still was on the bubble for a pickup on season three. That was never guaranteed.

3. Sliders was never a ratings hit to justify much attention. Hence why episodes were out of order for every FOX season and how much the network meddled in it. If Sliders was a hit out of the park, they'd be hands-off and let production handle itself like with X-Files.

4. Scifi made some good strides to get the show back on track but they too never gave the show enough budget or direction to take it to the next level.

Sliders was always the "little show that could" and I still am amazed that we got five seasons. We had to fight for every single one of them. If you look to a much more popular show like Quantum Leap, that STILL has no chance of coming back and that was way more popular than Sliders, IMO.

I want a reboot / reimagining more than anyone and the fact that Jerry is on board is a HUGE plus. However, it's a property that is a bit tarnished due to how it was handled and no major powerhouse to champion it.

All so, so true.

At the end of the day, without someone who holds actual power either at NBC Universal open to the idea of bringing it back, Sliders has no chance.

Eh, there are people with power.  Universal licensing division. They'll license the property to anyone willing to pay enough.  A license wouldn't be all that substantial with sliders (compared to other more top tier properties) because there's just not a lot of demand for the license.

This makes me wonder if the efforts to do something need to be more focused on the business side such as trying to bring it to the attention of Netflix's brass or working to contact Universal and getting their attention. Once someone's eyes are on it, THEN we pounce with a Kickstarter / Jerry / petition / mass movement.

And this is what we have to hope for and try to do.  We have to hope that someone wants to make a pilot or mini series or movie or series with the Sliders brand (a production company, network or studio).  We know basically the only folks who will really look to do that are the creators of the original series or anyone who jerry can convince to work with him on it (and he seems to be looking to the original show creators right now to "drive").

You posted a spectactuler press kit from Season 1.  This is substantial, and can be used as a weapon in our fight. If you watch those interviews here's what's clear:

- The cast loved each other
- The cast was enthusiastic about the project and were very happy with season 1
- They all had a lot of fun working on the show.

This footage can be used to be spliced together to put together highlights.  This is a perfect tool for taking the principals back to that place in their lives and remind them of how they felt and how others felt about them. John gave Jerry one of the greatest compliments a young actor can have.  I think we can use this to help motivate the gang.  If we get something together, I'll probably try to track down Bob Weiss' email and see if I can pass it along to him as well. He's involved with the X Prize Foundation, so this might be possible.

The original SLIDERS comics did okay, but they were hit by across the board distribution problems. The publisher, Acclaim, had a terrible reputation for non-payment / non-delivery created by a previous regime and the new owners and management couldn't break through the wall. Ultimately, the SLIDERS comics sucked for the most part. They were written in a mad rush mostly by writers who marathoned Seasons 1 - 2 in a couple days and drawn by superhero artists who weren't adept at grounded human drama. Changes were made, but before the comics could benefit from them, the entire company shut down.

In terms of marketing -- it would be foolish to try to sell SLIDERS comics or ebooks based on nostalgia. Instead, they should be sold on a brilliant storytelling engine of infinite possibilities. What if it's 2016 and the war on women has been lost? What if it's 2016 and electricity is rationed to individuals? What if it's 2016 and all digital privacy has become non-existent? Aim for an audience interested in science fiction anthology -- albeit an anthology that would feature the same four characters in every story.

Nice insights SliderTen. That just confirms my earlier sentiments. Heck, if the rabid Charmed fans can't get CBS to change their current stance on a fresh Charmed reboot without the originals (all 4 of which have repeatedly stated time and time again that they are onboard to continue the show if CBS were) then Sliders stands absolutely zero chance. And that's still ignoring the way Sliders ended, or the actors' ages, or countless other issues.

Of course, like Ireactions mentioned, any petition or push could just do the opposite and make them churn out some other property with a similar premise ... but there's nothing that could be done about that. The question is how best to get a fan push seen. Charmed fans have a constant media push on facebook and twitter, but they have a large fanbase. Sliders just doesn't.

Perhaps this is all just a wistful dream. It has such a low chance of happening.

IDW would probably be the best comic book company to have do a Sliders comic. They are currently publishing the Back To the Future comic which, as a BTTF fan, is absolutely amazing.
The stories are excellent , the art is great, and it's published on time. BTTF is also owned by Universal.

IDW has done work with other licensed properties as well- Transformers and X - Files, for example. Sliders would be a perfect fit.

IDW also has a big reprint line- maybe they can acquire the rights to reprint the Acclaim books and then take it from there....

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

I was the one who reached out to the ComicCon folks about a panel - a Sliders reunion panel as Grizzlor put it.  I got in touch, heard back, gave them my pitch and am hoping they follow up with interest. I think it's our best chance at getting the ball rolling, the same way that frankly I am not sure X Files would have ever returned if there wasn't a podcast about it from a semi-famous actor and Gillian didn't go on nerdist. These things are incredibly stupid in terms of how they work but it basically took that for a renuion to happen.

Sorry guys, wasn't able to get anywhere with this. I don't think ComicCon has interest. Perhaps the results could be different if it wasn't just a fan reaching out.