Re: Star Trek in Film and TV

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-traile … 1795312040

Trailer ahoy!

I don't know... I get that they have to update the look of the show, but they went out of their way to assure us that this was the Prime universe and not the Kelvin universe, and yet it looks remarkably like the Kelvin universe. The Klingons look like they were changed just for the sake of changing them. They're not improved. They look kinda stupid.

I guess we can't comment on much of the plot yet, but the show has to walk a fine line here, or it will look like another half-assed fan film. I don't get why they feel a need to keep going back to a pre-Kirk era, when they could easily set a series post-Voyager. They've had enough time that they could set up any story they wanted. Open on a debris field, and slowly reveal that it's actually all that remains of Earth! The Federation is in shambles. Numerous enemies are taking advantage of the situation! How do we move forward?!?!

Or whatever.

I also don't know why they keep insisting on going to the Kirk era (it's still during his lifetime).  It's been covered....let's do something new.

I still sorta liked the idea that someone had back in the day about an Alpha Quadrant that's been devastated by an Omega Particle.  So simple space travel isn't simple anymore.  Set it in 2600 so that technology could be improved and no one from the TNG/DS9/VOY era would be alive.

It's also weird that they changed the uniforms again.  Although I guess the TNG/DS9/VOY era showed that they change uniforms like they change underwear at Starfleet.

Just watched it.  It doesn't interest me at all.  If it took place after Voyager, it might, but the look and feel doesn't work for me.

--Chaser9

I'll watch, but as a friend said on Facebook, it's a hot mess.  These producers simply do not understand the predilections of Star Trek fans.  Greatly altering the look of Klingons is a BIG DEAL.

Grizzlor wrote:

I'll watch, but as a friend said on Facebook, it's a hot mess.  These producers simply do not understand the predilections of Star Trek fans.  Greatly altering the look of Klingons is a BIG DEAL.

TNG greatly altered the look of Klingons and is beloved.

107 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2017-05-22 12:45:05)

That's a great point.  If this is successful in bringing a new Star Trek era to TV, then this might become *the* look for the Klingons for a whole new generation.

pilight wrote:
Grizzlor wrote:

TNG greatly altered the look of Klingons and is beloved.

Ehhh, I think you mean Star Trek TMP, but that they still looked reasonable.  These knew ones look absurd. 

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

That's a great point.  If this is successful in bringing a new Star Trek era to TV, then this might become *the* look for the Klingons for a whole new generation.

Hope not.  This makeup is simply too much.  Again this proves how clueless new filmmakers are these days.  They overuse makeup, CGI, camera effects, and the like, all the time.  Tell me how we get a performance like those of John Colicos, Michael Dorn, Christopher Lloyd, Tony Todd, or Robert O'Reilly through that reptilian makeup?  They don't know what they're doing.

They look weird, but let's at least give them the Pilot before we judge too harshly.  And remember, the Pilot will be on regular TV for free smile

There was a rumor a while back, suggesting that these might be some sort of ancient Klingon variant. If that's true, there may be hope. I won't be holding my breath though.

I will probably not watch the pilot right away. I'll just wait and binge the season during a free trial of the CBS thing.

Well, Star Trek has always liked to dance in social commentary and politics; in my opinion, it's what differentiates it from generic space opera.  With that in mind, I wonder if this new Klingon design has a purpose we're not seeing yet.

Looking at contemporary social issues, could the new Klingons be a Star Trek attempt at commenting on Black Lives Matter?  Is the Federation profiling Klingons just because they appear to be Klingons?  What if they were innocent and a misunderstanding leads to war?

I always understood the Cold War allegory with the Klingons, but the visceral hatred that was sometimes shown between humans and Klingons was a step above the flavor of the Cold War.  Discovery could be where they take a stab at explaining that hatred.

In any case, if the new show wants the Star Trek feel, they'll have some level of social awareness.  It may not be in this Klingon change, but it needs to be somewhere.  There's many different ways they could touch on illegal immigration, for instance.  Brexit could be explored as a culture tries to leave the Federation.  There are several avenues.

It could be that the Klingons are in the process of changing from the ridge headed type of TNG (which we saw in ENT as well) into the smooth-foreheaded TOS Klingons.

If they do choose to go with social commentary, I hope they're smart about it. We have a lot of shows preaching at us right now. If Star Trek starts hitting me over the head with Black Lives Matter, I'm turning it off. However, if they want to have a nuanced exploration of racial tension and all that, it could be interesting.

Finding the social commentary on this show might be like combing through hair for lice!  If the trailer has anything to do with it.  These writers nowadays don't know how to do it.  TOS and TNG did it with over the top figures.  Heck look at Sliders, where Tracy and the early writers did it satirically.

TOS and TNG got very preachy sometimes.  Kirk and Picard were both known for making speeches

Deep Space Nine did it best, I think. Those stories are still very relevant, and I talk to people who saw completely different real-world parallels in the show. I can still watch that show without thinking that it's hilariously dated. Even the concept of sanctuary districts doesn't seem far fetched.

Let's not forget that most of the older Trek shows were comprised of theatrically trained actors.  I've never heard of most of these actors, and there's no evidence yet that Jason Isaacs or Anthony Rapp will play as large a role as many of the newcomers.  To me this looks like a very "Enterprise" cast.

I don't know that I agree with that. Looking at the cast list right now, I see some actors who are more famous than others, but many that have been somewhere on my radar for quite some time. The actors that I knew of before this series are:

Jason Isaacs
Doug Jones
Sonequa Martin-Green
Anthony Rapp
Michelle Yeoh
Kenneth Mitchell
Rekha Sharma
Rainn Wilson
James Frain

I think that if I were to look at the Enterprise cast, the most well known actor there is Scott Bakula, and maybe some recurring characters who appeared on other Star Trek shows. With Voyager... I don't know that I'd ever heard of any of them before, though Robert Picardo had already been in a lot of stuff. Kate Mulgrew was well established by then too, but I'd not heard of her.

When it comes to theatrical actors, I don't place them on as high a pedestal as others do. I've seen a lot of stage actors who just can't make the transition to camera work. They're really two different talents. It's like calling someone a "writer", but obviously there would be a difference between a novelist and a lyricist. So the stage work doesn't really matter to me as much as previous screen credits.