Re: Star Trek in Film and TV (and The Orville, too!)

If it does get axed, I hope someone (Netflix, Hulu, maybe even something like Disney+) picks it up.  It's too good to lose.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

If it does get axed, I hope someone (Netflix, Hulu, maybe even something like Disney+) picks it up.  It's too good to lose.

Yea, I hope so.  I think FOX may have an exclusive with Seth MacFarlane though so not sure what options they'd have or who owns Orville (might be FOX).  Also Fox/Disney own a lot of Hulu, so maybe that'd be an option.

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:
Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Yea, I hope so.  I think FOX may have an exclusive with Seth MacFarlane though so not sure what options they'd have or who owns Orville (might be FOX).  Also Fox/Disney own a lot of Hulu, so maybe that'd be an option.

Seth ironically has almost nothing to do with Family Guy anymore, except the voice acting.  His baby is The Orville.  I'd be shocked if they ax it.

Well, ORVILLE is getting a third season. No episode count as of yet.

Yes!  That's great news.

David Goodman, in an interview, said he felt there had been no consequences for Isaac's betrayal and return in Season 2 and that it'd be a priority for Season 3.

Yeah, I agree.  I feel like that was strange.  They kept talking about the Kaylon, but you're right - they barely even featured Isaac after that.  I wonder if they didn't know where to go with that, or if they didn't want that to take over the whole show.

I wonder if they should've had Isaac sacrifice himself.  The Kaylon could've still been a threat, but they wouldn't have had to deal with the consequences.

I'm betting it's because they had a shorter season than most shows and ran out of time and space to address it. Dan Harmon in his COMMUNITY audio commentaries says that he was always shocked get to the end of Seasons 5 - 6 and realize that he only had 13 episodes and had been so consumed with GI JOE parodies and DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS sequels that he'd forgotten to address Jeff's career as a teacher in Season 5 or tell an Annie-centric story in Season 6.

Awhile ago, I posted about how our world has gone crazy and we desperately need the sliders back. We need Quinn's cool under fire. We need the Professor's wisdom and perspective.

When watching the STAR TREK: PICARD trailer, I realized that while I will always want Professor Arturo to come back, I suppose I could settle for Jean Luc Picard and his diplomacy in the face of savagery, his steadiness when faced with madness, his diligence in response to threat and his ability to find common ground and offer understanding, negotiation and enlightenment that turns enemies into friends and danger into unity and teamwork.

I need the Professor. But I could be alright if our Captain came back.

THE ORVILLE is moving to Hulu! Makes sense. It's an niche product.

Man, the Picard trailer awoke something in me too.  And the inclusion of Seven of Nine was a total shock to me.  I feel like, moreso than Discovery, the Picard people are going to have fun playing in the post-Nemesis sandbox.

I was also shocked to see Brent Spiner, who wanted so desperately to get away from Data in the end.  Although my video buffered a bit at that part so maybe it was a CGI re-creation of Brent Spiner.  He looked otherworldly.

I also agree that Orville to Hulu makes sense.  I'm hoping they can do some fun stuff now that they're streaming-only, and I hope the budget doesn't suffer because of it.

I don't remember VOYAGER. Was Seven acting human and being casual and pleasant by the end?

My read on Spiner: he loves Data. He loves playing him. However, over the course of seven seasons, he aged. It's not noticeable if you're watching the show week to week because Spiner fills out gradually. The lines in his face deepen over the course of a year. The human memory always takes the present day face and puts it on top of your memories unless the changes are sudden like David Boreanaz suddenly thirty pounds heavier on ANGEL (because he was having knee problems and couldn't exercise) or Jerry O'Connell suddenly having a sun-tan and very short hair. This bothered Spiner because even though he was a healthy man, he viewed Data as a childlike figure. He didn't like how he was playing a very innocent, naive character when physically, he was clearly a middle-aged adult. He felt he couldn't sell the character anymore.

Onscreen, Data looks like a man in makeup with very subtle but narrative body language to indicate his artificiality and it's really the performance that makes him seem like an android instead of an actor with an altered skin tone and contact lenses. The performance can always be maintained, but the character benefits from a youthful appearance that Spiner couldn't offer anymore. He felt he couldn't do his job properly and that was why he didn't want to be onscreen as Data anymore.

It looks like PICARD has solved the problem. I have guesses: one is that Data is a CG creation and Spiner is providing the voice in post. My second and more plausible guess is that Spiner is on-set in some form of the makeup with tracking dots all over his face. Then in post, his body is slimmed. His skin is buffed to remove any signs of aging. My third guess is that Spiner's on set so that Stewart can perform with him, and then he's performing the scene again in a special effects bay with a tracking suit and dots to map his expressions and movements to a CG model. My fourth guess is that a body double is playing Data on set with his face and voice replaced afterwards with Spiner's face recorded separately, edited to remove his age and weight and grafted onto the double. My fifth guess is that it's some combination of all of the above depending on the scene.

Data doesn't look realistic, but given that Data is an artificial being, it works for Data to look synthetic.

ireactions wrote:

I don't remember VOYAGER. Was Seven acting human and being casual and pleasant by the end?

I found that alarming as well.  She definitely wasn't that casual.  But depending on when Picard is set, it's plausible that she's had a chance to let loose.  She ends up dating Chakotay by the end so she's definitely embracing a life outside of her role on the ship, but my guess is that once she gets off Voyager and outside of a duty-based environment, she'd loosen up a bit.  Being on Voyager probably felt a bit like being on a Borg cube at times so it would've been hard to fully embrace her humanity (like learning a language in a classroom).  Being on Earth (or wherever she ends up) would be more like learning a language while living in a country that speaks that language.  Her gains would be bigger.

That being said, again, I found it to be alarming.  She definitely hadn't spoken like that on Voyager.

Well, Jeri Ryan is a great actress. I think? I’m hoping this isn’t another Danielle Panabaker situation where I’ve vastly overestimated someone based on a fond memory that’s wrong. Although I have no fond memories of Seven, but the actress seemed good.

ireactions wrote:

I’m hoping this isn’t another Danielle Panabaker situation

lol, what?

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

Danielle Panabaker is an actress I grew up with and I really liked her on THE FLASH. However, Slider_Quinn21 mentioned a movie she'd been in, TIME LAPSE, where she wasn't very good. I watched it and realized that Danielle Panabaker:

(a) has been performing with the same empty-headed, blank stare since I was in grade school
(b) performs the majority of her scenes in SKY HIGH, READ IT AND WEEP and THE FLASH with a scene partner
(c) lacks the ability to carry or lead a scene on her own

She was playing a traumatized woman on THE FLASH, so her vacant gaze worked there, but basically, Slider_Quinn21 ruined Panabaker for me and now, every time I say I think an actress is good when I don't personally know them or haven't recently reviewed their work, I get nervous.