Re: Random Thoughts

With the Mummy falling short at the box office, what are the odds that Universal's "Dark Universe" never gets off the ground?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f … ls-1001345

I learned about this a while ago, but got distracted by life stuff.

Can't wait to see what they do with this! I'm going to need a pineapple (pizza? Or maybe upside down cake), cinnamon pie, and Quatro Queso Dos Fritos!

I forgot to reply about the Dark Universe.

DC/Warner has also been working on a Dark Universe project for a long time and I think there is a lawsuit over the name. If Universal's project isn't making them a lot of money, it may not make sense to fight for it.

Informant wrote:

I forgot to reply about the Dark Universe.

DC/Warner has also been working on a Dark Universe project for a long time and I think there is a lawsuit over the name. If Universal's project isn't making them a lot of money, it may not make sense to fight for it.

The Weekly Planet was talking about this recently, and they were wondering if the "Dark Universe" name was just DC's insurance in case Justice League isn't successful.  Because the proper name is "Justice League: Dark" - and the success of Justice League will probably affect the marketing for the "dark" movie.  If Justice League is successful, DC will want to connect to it.  If it's not successful (or at least not critically successful), then they might want to make it feel separate with a different-sounding name.

I'm still assuming Justice League will be great, and it'll be called "Justice League: Dark"

105 (edited by Grizzlor 2017-06-16 12:33:33)

Hard to say.  I personally thought the trailer for The Mummy was top notch, and I still enjoyed the movie.  However, I understand the public sentiment.  It's not a "Mummy" movie, it's a Tom Cruise movie.  Now I'm a fan of his action work, but I can see how many have probably grown tired of him.  You're not watching The Mummy, you're watching Cruise with The Mummy as background.  IDK, maybe they just should have remade the Monster Squad!

Also, I think it's important to note that Alex Kurtzman probably wasn't the best choice here, despite having a VERY involved Cruise on set.  Goes back to my long-standing criticism of just about everything he and Roberto Orci touch.  Usually vapid trash that makes tons of money, or vapid, boring trash that doesn't.

http://screenrant.com/tom-cruise-contro … -kurtzman/

Hmmm, considering what a mess the Dark Universe seems to be, I wonder if they'll just scrap it.  Cruise's star power could probably keep it afloat, but it seems horribly planned.  They only have one filmed planned, a couple stars attached, and a ton of TBAs.  Shouldn't be too hard to hit the eject button if they want to.

Are there any Blade Runner fans here?

The new video looks pretty cool.  I don't love the cast (Jake Gyllenhaal should have starred) but the new footage has me more excited for the film than I was after the trailer first came out.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/21/blade-r … mentweekly

The movie does look pretty cool. I'm curious to see where the plot goes.

As for casting... I'm not a huge fan of either Gyllenhaal. I think they're both approaching Matt Damon/Leo DiCaprio levels of over-rated. So I prefer Ryan Gosling by far. smile

Informant wrote:

The movie does look pretty cool. I'm curious to see where the plot goes.

As for casting... I'm not a huge fan of either Gyllenhaal. I think they're both approaching Matt Damon/Leo DiCaprio levels of over-rated. So I prefer Ryan Gosling by far. smile

I'm surprised you prefer Gosling. To me, he seems like a choice of the studio to maximize the revenue potential on this flick, but he seems all wrong for the franchise.  Blade Runner takes place in a very gloomy environment. You need someone with some gruff and who can do downtrodden far better. I just don't think Gosling is right for that at all. Gynllenhaal would be excellent, imo, take a look at him in Prisoners.  Which is directed by the guy doing 2049. 

It's too bad though Ridley couldn't come back - he had to do the next Alien which of course bombed.

BR 2049 looks very good, and this comes from someone who isn't a fan of the original.

I guess we don't really have to be for either Gyllenhaal or Gosling. There are tons of actors out there who could have carried the role in another universe. I just mean to say that I like Gosling better. He has a better screen presence and just don't irritate me as much as Gyllenhaal has come to (I did like Donnie Darko and October Sky).

In the end, I just wish that Harrison Ford wasn't so closed off to the idea of returning to one of the roles that made him famous.
(/sarcasm)

I have a feeling that Ford won't be in the movie all that much.  Might just be a minor part towards the end.  All the scenes he's in look like the same set piece, right?

113 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2017-06-23 10:16:49)

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I have a feeling that Ford won't be in the movie all that much.  Might just be a minor part towards the end.  All the scenes he's in look like the same set piece, right?

that's a good point, i didn't think about that. i can't believe they have him wearing a grey t-shirt too.

Well, I think Harrison Ford is happy to reappear in these "soft reboots" / continuations, but I think he doesn't want to do much of the heavy lifting.  It was harder with Star Wars, but I think in this he could be a minor person who provides information from the past and connects to what happened before. 

That's just my guess.  The dude is in his mid-70s so it's hard to expect too much from him these days.

Isn't he signed to play Indy again?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

That's just my guess.  The dude is in his mid-70s so it's hard to expect too much from him these days.

other than crashing planes, yea.

#TooSoon