Re: Random Thoughts

I tried a couple of Mr. Robot episodes, but it didn't grab me.

I'm starting to think that my brain is wired backwards. It seems like I don't like the things that everyone else loves, and I love the things that everyone else hates.

Yeah, it's a dense show, and the main character's bug eyes bother me.  But I think it's just so well done.

Question for anyone who watches Black Mirror:

What is your takeaway from the Christmas episode? How do you view the characters and their stories in the episode? My brother and I are having a disagreement about the intended purpose of the episode. I'd say more, but I don't want to sway the conversation. smile

I have a lot of catching up to do on Black Mirror.  If I catch it, I will let you know.

Informant wrote:

Question for anyone who watches Black Mirror:

What is your takeaway from the Christmas episode? How do you view the characters and their stories in the episode? My brother and I are having a disagreement about the intended purpose of the episode. I'd say more, but I don't want to sway the conversation. smile

The Christmas episode is my favorite.

I don't really know what you mean by your question, though.  I feel like the intended purpose is the same as every episode - technology drives us further away from each other, and the "god" of technology has his own, twisted version of justice.

Basically, the question is: How do you view the main characters in the episode, their situations, and the punishment that they face?

The disagreement is in how people are intended to perceive those elements. Is the justice just? Are the characters bad people? Stuff like that. I'll explain it a little bit more later.

It's been too long since I've seen it to get too specific.

I don't think Jon Hamm's character was a very good person, and I liked the way his punishment fit.  He's a good-looking, charming, and suave guy who can't use any of that anymore.  He used people to get by, and he can't do that anymore.  I know he ends up getting a guy killed, but I thought his treatment of the "cookie" was the most damning to his personality. 

The other dude....I can't remember if he kills his father in law on purpose or accidentally.  But I don't remember thinking his crime was unjust.