1 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2017-10-11 09:34:26)

Topic: Blade Runner 2049

Anybody here see it yet?

BR has always been one of my favorite movies, if not the favorite.  I remember watching it on TV as a kid and just being entranced by the world that I saw -- something that was believeable as "real" and yet was so different than our own.  I remember being fascinated by the mix of futuristic, 80s and 40s styles.  It was intoxicating.  I loved the moodyness -- the music, the steady drumbeat of the rain.  I did often find the story to be weak and uninspired.  But of course, Rutger Hauer / Roy Batty saves it at the end.

BR 2049 to me was a monument of a film.  It definitely was built for a BR audience -- not necessarily the general movie goer who may not have had a strong affection for the original.  And as a piece of work intended to honor the original and the audience that was fond of it, I felt they did the impossible.  They lived up to everything a fan could hope for and more.

I give a tremendous amount of credit to Alcon, the production company on that, because they really focused on making a film that would not be a black mark on a title that has such a strong legacy. Had they been focusing on profit only, they would not have given the team all the resources they needed financially to pull of what they did.

That said, the BR audience was never a mass audience. It required you to essentially be a viewer who could watch something to be intoxicated by the visuals.  This is not everyone.  And so this follow up has fallen short at the box office, as the new material was built as a follow up to keep with much of the original.

I think however the film is going to stand the test of time like its predecessor.  And that the audience will keep building for this film.  If there's anyone who has seen the film and/or love the original, I'd love to hear what you think.

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Anyone looking forward to Altered Carbon on Netflix?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/04/net … de-runner/

It's not Blade Runner but has some of its feel.

I watched both movies this weekend (the final cut of the original) and I am blown away by how much I liked 2049. It was a great movie, definitely made for fans of the original, but not in a way that just repeated the original at all. It was new and fascinating to watch. Great movie.

While watching the original, I found myself thinking that Daryl Hannah looked a lot like Cameron from Halt and Catch Fire. Next thing you know, Mackenzie Davis is playing a character in 2049. That was funny.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

The scene where they had Rachel come back was insane! Star Wars got a lot of attention for Rogue One doing something like that, but Blade Runner was a much better execution. I had to look it up and see if they somehow reused old footage or something. If that part hadn't been perfect, it would have blown the whole story beat.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

4 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2018-01-28 22:58:24)

I'm glad someone else here liked the film.  I've never had an experience in the cinema like it, and I'm very confident I never will again.