Re: DC Movie Universe by Informant

How is he aware of his grandson's existence?  Will there be time travel?  Or is that just for marketing?

Probably just for marketing. Or maybe the series is in the database that Clark found, and his grandfather's voiceover is like Jor-El's image. Intelligent in some ways, but still a recording.

Yeah, I could see that.  I'm hoping they keep it at that....I don't think we need a 3rd version of Superman running at the same time smile

(Unless it's Tom Welling smile )

It would be cool to see Tom Welling show up on a DC show. Not as Clark (though he could be Earth 2 Clark... that'd be interesting), but as someone.

I've also always thought it'd be cool if he showed up on Supernatural, as a hunter. smile

In my head, I've written a Supernatural/Arrowverse crossover a half-dozen different ways.  It always takes place on Supernatural, though.  I think it'd be more fitting there....they've been to our world after all.  Or, at least, a meta version of it.

I can't decide which of the brothers would like a superhero world, though.

(I've taken us way off topic)

http://screenrant.com/justice-league-mo … an-return/

Interesting take on the DCEU Superman.

What's our thinking on the recent "is Wonder Woman getting promoted enough?" storyline in the media right now?  There's a fair share of DC hate, but it's also a bit weird that there hasn't been as much promotion yet.  I forget all the time that it's coming, despite being optimistic based on what we've seen.

At the same time, I also feel like Guardians of the Galaxy kinda snuck up on me.  I've only started seeing cross-promotions and TV spots recently.

Maybe the process is just different than it used to be?  I don't know.

I don't know. I do think people are looking for things to criticize. I've seen product tie-ins for the movies for a while now. The only things that I haven't really seen are internet ads and TV commercials. I have to wonder how useful those things would be two months before the movie is released. Now that we are a month out, I would expect to start seeing things.

But I really have no idea when those ads usually start. When it comes to TV ads,  after a while, you kinda forget about the movie, because it seems like it should have been released already.

There was a sneak peak during Gotham so they're still working on cross-promoting.  They must've heard us!

Interesting thought exercise.

What if Batman/Superman went a very different direction?  I know that's not a unique exercise, even here.  But I was thinking about it, and I think they could've done a story that's unique to both characters on film.  It's way different than what we got, but I think it plays with a bunch of the same themes.

Opening plays out the same way.  Batman sees what happened in Metropolis and is super angry.  Locates the kryptonite and attacks in the first act of the movie.  Clark has been working around the clock to save people, fix his image, etc, and he's caught completely off guard.  They fight for a bit and (insert comic technobabble/magic/whatever), something happens and both heroes are shot backwards.

Clark moves to continue the attack.  Batman steps back in a defensive manner.  Clark stays where he is.  Batman ends up in the middle of nowhere.  For whatever reason, Batman is now superhuman and Clark isn't.

So you have Clark Kent now what he's always wanted to be - normal.  Not only that, but he has this giant weight lifted off him - he's not responsible for everyone anymore.  He can't hear the screams anymore, and he doesn't feel obligated to try and save everyone.  He's still fascinated by what happened, but he has no idea who the Batman is.  He has no idea how the change happened.  He lets himself enjoy the moment - he goes back to work and goes back to Lois.

Bruce, meanwhile, is flipping out.  Now *he's* the alien?  He went up against the alien and won.  Not only did he remove the threat, but now the power is in *the right hands*.  And, yeah, he's struggling with controlling *any* of his powers, but he's Batman. He'll mediate and do tai chi and figure it out.

I just came up with this in the last few minutes so it's not refined, and I don't really have a 2nd/3rd act.  I'm sure Batman would lose control and mess something up when he was trying to fight crime.  And Clark would use his journalism skills to figure out what happened and who Batman is and work to get his powers back after he realizes Batman can't handle them.

But by the end of the movie, Batman would understand what Superman was all about.  He'd know that he's not some crazy alien - that he used his power responsibly and did it better than Batman ever could.  We'd get to see a human side of Clark because that's all there'd be.

And if you ended with Clark's sacrifice, I think it sets up the same way.  Clark's gone, and Batman feels this great pressure to honor him.  And he's had this great power, and now he has to assemble the Justice League because he *knows* he isn't enough to fight all the darkness.

I know that's the kind of movie that Hollywood wouldn't make, but I think it would've been a more natural sequel to Man of Steel (Clark, having accepted himself, now gets what he thought he always wanted) and gives us a different take on Batman who now understands where this part of his life needs to take him.

Not meant to be a criticism of BvS (I'm still in BvS jail) - just an idea I had all of the sudden this morning.

Reactions are out, and Wonder Woman seems to be well liked. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. On the one hand, people say the same about the Marvel movies which usually aren't great. And are they just saying this because they have to support the female superhero?

On the other hand, the movie looks legitimately good. It could just be that this character doesn't already have a dozen other films and series by which the audience will compare her. She could be benefiting from the "fresh" element that drives people to like the Marvel movies.

Either way, I can't wait to see the movie... Figuratively speaking. I will wait a little while to see it, because theaters full of annoying teenagers on summer break drive me nuts. When did parents stop teaching their kids basic theater etiquette?

Whoa....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v … dy-1006455

Terrible news for Snyder....who I've been hard on.  Just awful news for him and his family.

First, I want to say that this is incredibly sad news for the Snyder family. I can't even imagine what they must be going through, and I hope that I am never able to grasp that level of pain. It's truly horrible.

Second, to address the movie... as Snyder said, it's just a movie. I already see people making little comments here and there about the situation, and it's disgusting how people could use his pain as a way of trolling him.

I don't like Joss Whedon. I don't think that he fits with this franchise. I believe that it's beyond his abilities. I think that he is full of himself. However, I get why they chose him. Despite the spin that many articles are putting on this, Joss won't be "fixing" the movie or making it his own. He will be following a map that was created by Snyder, and will be shooting a few scenes that Snyder wanted added. This is still Snyder's movie. Joss Whedon was most likely chosen because he is already working with DC/Warner Bros. and has been through the process of discussing the overall franchise direction. They need a director quickly, to film a few scenes. There is hardly the time nor the cause to go through a lengthy interview process. Jenkins is probably focused on the release of Wonder Woman, Wan is filming Aquaman, and Whedon was available. He got this job because he was there, and that's fine.

If he does try to make this movie his own in some way, it will be the end of him. This is a job where he is essentially helping out during a hard time, not building his resume.

I agree.  My only fear is that this was already a movie that was a little out of scope.  The tone is already much different from the tone of Batman v Superman, and I assume that wasn't part of Snyder's original plan.  So we might have a movie that's:

Part Snyder-Doing-The-Studio's-Vision
Part Snyder-Doing-His-Own-Vision
Part Whedon-Doing-Snyder's-Or-The-Studio's-Vision

I'm hoping that I'm wrong....that Snyder was always planning on making things lighter and brighter.  That Whedon can seemlessly do things the same way Snyder was going to do it.  The Justice League trailer looked good.  I'm hoping it stays on the track it was on.  I'd really love this movie to be great smile

Justice League was always supposed to be a different tone than BvS. BvS represents a low point for characters, and a lot of desperation. The end of that movie was about finding hope and purpose for Bruce.

I think a lot of people around the internet have been writing fanfic about some behind the scenes drama, and calling it reality. There have been stories about struggling and so many reshoots that the movie has essentially been remade twice, and none of these things have any foundation in reality.

Hey, Supernatural is over for the year. The Flash and Arrow have their finales this week. You know what this means?!

A bunch of free time that can be put toward watching BvS (the extended version) again!

The people that are using this tragedy to make fun of Zach Snyder are horrible.  Movies are movies.  Life is life.  Whether he's succeeded or not, this guy has poured his life into these movies.  He wants them to be great, and he wants everyone to love them.  And now he's really, really hurting.  This is a time when everyone needs to be wishing him well, not continuing to tear him down.

Informant wrote:

A bunch of free time that can be put toward watching BvS (the extended version) again!

It's actually first on my list of things to do!  I'm going to go from 13 active weekly shows to 6 after this week.  I'm moving this weekend, but then I should have more time.

It's going to be weird to suddenly not have a million shows to watch. I'm going to have to learn how to knit or something. smile

Sigh. Alamo Drafthouse has scheduled a women-only screening of Wonder Woman. This is stupid on so many levels and for so many reasons.

We're trying to show that a female superhero can be as appealing as a male superhero for everyone, so making her "for women" kinda defeats the purpose.

Discrimination is going to be bad for business. Unless this becomes that theater's "thing". Women only, men only, white only, black only, etc. Maybe safe-zone screenings can be their schtick.

This is just one theater, and has nothing to do with the studio. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be allowed to do it, but it is a stupid move.

Oh, what a shame that there's a space where white men aren't welcome in a world that's almost exclusively for them.

Show me one place that's exclusively for white men. Seriously, one. Just one. And it has to be one that's actually accepted by society, because the KKK headquarters is obviously a different thing.

I'm so tired of this "white men get to do whatever they want and get away with it" crap, because it is crap. We're all supposed to play along with that narrative, just to make other people feel better about themselves, but it's getting old. That said, politically speaking, I fully support the theater's right to have a women only event. I think they should be able to hold whatever events they want, whether or not they offend whatever group they're excluding. Personally, I'm over this giant game of Offense Bingo that everyone is playing. It's reached a point where, in some cases, people are literally dying because people are afraid of offending the people who are murdering them. It's insane.

Sorry. Mini rant. It's been a long week.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about this subject in political terms. I was talking about it in business terms. When you start deliberately excluding groups from your business, for whatever reason, you run the risk of damaging your profits. This is exactly why we don't need laws demanding that bakeries make wedding cakes for gay couples. Because the gay couple will just go give another baker their money and give a bad review to the shop that wouldn't make their cake. That will potentially cost that bakery money in the long run, even from straight couples.

It's the circle of business life.

I know! Informant really suffers the most of all marginalized groups in all the world, constantly having to deal with the absurd notion that people who aren't Caucasian and male are systemically and institutionally mistreated. We really must have a greater understanding of his white people burdens and how much it weighs on him heavily that there could be a women-only screening for a largely male dominated genre and, of course, his financial calculations of the economic fallout implicit in having a movie screening for women.

Sometimes I wonder if you even read what I type.

I'll make this bold, so it will catch your eye and maybe you'll actually read it... I don't care if they have a women-only screening.
Or a black only screening. Or a white only screening. Or a Black Lives Matter only screening. Or a white straight male only screening. I'm saying that it's bad for business, and works against what the film's creators are trying to accomplish in the first place.

You want to know the crazy truth about the world? Everyone suffers. Everyone is discriminated against. Everyone is judged the minute they walk through the door. Just look at your posts about me, making countless assumptions about what you think my life must be like, without actually knowing (or caring to know, really) any facts about the claims you're making. One might even call that... racial/gender profiling? Want to throw in my religion and sexual orientation, just to cover all of our bases? God, my life is easy. Ain't nobody ever had it easier than this guy right here.

Systemic and institutional mistreatment? Such as?

(should we move this to the political thread? Because I feel like we're about to start talking about police shootings, the wage gap and marriage equality. Also, I might press you a little bit on that whole "name one place that's just for white men" subject, because you totally avoided it)

And can I just say how cool it is that we're both being incredibly sarcastic with each other here and it's fine, while that same sarcasm would result in a total meltdown pretty much anywhere else on the internet? smile

I agree. I don't really see movies in theatres much anymore, but I think I will make an exception for WONDER WOMAN specifically for the purposes of talking about on this board.

I'm getting to see Wonder Woman for free (advanced screening) so it's win-win for me! smile

Breaking news: Alamo Drafthouse realizes their mistake in having a single screening of WONDER WOMAN for women and only women. They have come to appreciate that they made a terrible strategic error and have amended it. They're having MORE women only screenings!!! :-D

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 … ening.html

I want a free advanced screening!!! No fair!!!

I really don't go to the theater much either. I used to go to some of the Marvel stuff, usually when one of my brothers was in town. But they're just not worth the time or money anymore. The DC movies have me excited enough to see them in the theaters though, and then I watch the longer versions five more times when they come out on blu-ray.

ireactions wrote:

Breaking news: Alamo Drafthouse realizes their mistake in having a single screening of WONDER WOMAN for women and only women. They have come to appreciate that they made a terrible strategic error and have amended it. They're having MORE women only screenings!!! :-D

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 … ening.html

I wish them the best of luck with this strategy. It would have been funny if they'd scheduled some men-only screenings as a response, but this seem like doubling down on a political battle that nobody really asked them to fight.

All of their crap is overpriced, so I've never gone to their theaters anyway.