Re: DC Superheroes in Film (Theatrical and Streaming)

I mean, I get that he's hard to identify with.....but he's Superman.  That doesn't just extend to strength and invulnerability.  He's confident because nothing can hurt him.  He's had no reason to be scared of anything his entire life.  I know there's physical pain and emotional pain (which Clark *isn't* invulnerable to), but he's also never sick.  He's attractive.  He's smart.  These are things that would've made him popular by itself.

I'm not saying Clark wouldn't have issues.  Because, of course he would.  Like I said, he's still vulnerable to emotional pain.  The head cheerleader turns him down, he gets sad.  He fails a big math test, he gets sad.  He can't afford the car he wants, he gets sad.  These are very human problems that would also affect Clark.

But he's still Superman.  He still can do things that no one else on the planet can do.  And that's terrifying, but it's also gotta be, on some level, really satisfying.  Even if his parents were straight monsters who taught him to hate himself because he's different, he can still do all those things I said he could do.  Even in his drifter phase, he was always employed and got to see the world.

I know I sound like Clark's psychologist, but I just expect his life to actually be better.  There's Elon Musk and there's Clark Kent.  Elon Musk's life might not be that great.  Clark's life, on some level, just has to be pretty great because he lives free of fear.

You'd change lives with Clark in a second, right?  Wouldn't just about anyone?

I don't know if I would. I mean, an irresponsible sneeze could kill someone. That is a lot of pressure that never, ever goes away.

I don't think that Clark's life has to be better than anyone else's. People say the same thing about rich people or pretty people, but it isn't that simple. I watch movies or TV shows and wish that I could switch places with those actors who are living my lifelong dream. But at the same time, I know enough to understand that it isn't that simple. Many of them might prefer my life to their own.

If Superman is human in every way except his abilities, his life shouldn't automatically be happier or better. In many ways, his life just sucks.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Another point about Suicide Squad

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Why didn't any of the members of the squad know each other?  I understand why none of them might know Captain Boomerang if he spent his entire career on the other side of the world.  But Harley and Deadshot worked out of the same city, and it didn't seem like they'd ever interacted before.  Killer Croc also worked out of Gotham and is a major Batman rogue.  I know he probably doesn't collaborate a lot, but they've run into each other, right?

If they wanted some fun character stuff, shouldn't there have been a scene or two where the Squad members talk about previous jobs they'd worked together.  Or at least their hatred of Batman?  Or maybe their hatred of Belle Reve?

They bond over the course of the movie (a little), but there's no indication that they'd ever bonded previously.  Am I taking too many liberties in the comic universe where villains seem to interact with each other all the time?

And I'll read that post after I see the movie too... smile

I don't understand the press. I really don't. The movie is performing well. Despite not being released in China (which earned Civil War over $190 million), the movie is making good money. Audience reaction, as far as I've seen it, has been generally positive. Very few "this movie sucks" comments. I've seen mostly comments ranging from "It was fun" to rather enthusiastic love for the movie. So overall, the movie is doing well in every way except with critics.

Yet, every article I see is about what a disaster the movie is. How DC might have to reboot their whole franchise after this, etc, etc, etc.

So are critics the only people who matter anymore?

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

I've heard way more "word of mouth" positivity than with Batman Superman.  I think people definitely like it more than BvS.  At least the random people I interact with (including a few women at work who were saying they liked it).

I'm excited for you to see it.

I just bought my ticket for tomorrow morning at 11:30. I'm looking forward to it. And then to the crazy Joker edition that will probably be announced for home video smile

I'd prefer a "Joker only appears in Harley flashbacks with additional flashbacks" edition wink

I am going to post my thoughts on the movie before I read any other comments, just so I'm not swayed in any way...

When Suicide Squad was announced, I was a little surprised. I didn't expect a story like this to be turned into a movie, and I certainly didn't expect it to be the third movie out of the gate. I thought it was a little too unfamiliar for mainstream audiences, but it should be a fun group-action comic book movie for those of us who already know most of the characters. I didn't go in with the same expectations that I had for Batman v Superman or Man of Steel, because this isn't one of the heavy hitters. This is a dark corner of the DC universe.

I was right and wrong on these points.

First, I was right that the movie wouldn't be for everyone. Specifically, the people who don't really like comic book stories, but have to sit through them anyway because it's their job to review movies. There's a lot going on in this movie that I'm going to have to Google later.

The movie wasn't as heavy as Batman v Superman. It could afford to be lighter, and it was. It didn't try to be anything that it wasn't. That said, it wasn't a comedy either. It's wasn't cartoonish (though kudos to Margot Robbie for having Harley's mannerisms down). This movie wasn't the Guardians of the Galaxy movie that some people were expecting, and I think that threw those people off.  Harley Quinn is a funny character, but she isn't just comic relief. People expecting her to be all jokes must have been disappointed. I think it's a solid addition to the DCEU. It introduced a lot of elements that will come into play later, and it did it in a fun way.

Some of the criticism that I've seen says that this was just Will Smith playing Will Smith. I expected that, but I was pleasantly surprised to see him tone it down quite a bit. Deadshot wasn't as annoying as I thought he'd be. I didn't mind him in the role at all.

The criticism also (probably led by media reports) says that this was a wildly re-edited movie that didn't fit together as one movie. I disagree with that. I didn't have any problem with the tone of the movie or the overall flow of it.

They say that the flashbacks either gave too much backstory, or not enough. I thought that what we had was good. The only complaint that I have here is that they should have developed Slipknot. Not giving him a backstory or showing his flashback tipped their hand and ruined what could have been a shocking moment.

A lot of people think that the studio ruined the movie by removing Joker scenes. And while I eagerly anticipated the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman, I'm going to have to disagree here. As it was, we got more Joker than I expected. If they added more scenes with him, they would run the risk of his stealing the spotlight in a movie that is supposed to focus more on Harley. I didn't hate this Joker or anything like that, but I didn't need more of him. I can wait for a Batman movie for that, if that's the direction they decide to take this.

The Marvel movies were all connected, but there was also this disconnect between them. Even in Avengers movies, they feel separate from the other movies. Maybe it's just me, but I never felt excited by those connections. Characters who carried over across films weren't consistent with what we'd seen before, and references to past movies didn't feel like anything more than a way of telling the audience that it was all connected.

This felt different to me. When Amanda Waller talks about Superman, it feels like it isn't just something that happened. It's something that continues to happen to that world. The way Batman comes in and out of the movie doesn't feel cheap. The way The Flash comes in doesn't feel like a teaser for his upcoming movie. There is an attention to detail in stories that aren't even on screen. The director talks about the Joker killing Robin, Batman smashing his teeth out, Joker getting the "damaged" tattoo before being sent to Arkham, where he meets Harley... There is a whole world that existed before we came into it and a whole world that is existing off camera. I like that. It's been said that there hasn't been enough thought put into making the DCEU one cohesive whole, but I strongly disagree with that.

One element that I was cringing at during the movie, not because I hated it, but because I was waiting for it to derail the entire movie, was the Enchantress story. I was surprised that they went so big with that side of the DC universe, so fast, and in a movie that most people just expected to be a simple "elite team" action movie. Then again, why would you throw the Suicide Squad at something normal? Her story wound up setting the stage for the big changes coming to that world, but it wasn't so overwhelming that it ruined the movie for me. The real villains of the movie were still in the Squad itself, which was interesting. They could have hammered that Enchantress story into the ground with way too many useless magical fight scenes that meant nothing, but they didn't. Which is good, because toward the end, I was starting to think that this was a better Ghostbusters remake than the actual Ghostbusters remake. The only thing that I wish they'd changed was when Enchantress was showing people their heart's desires... I kinda wished that Harley would conjure up an image of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

The movie isn't my new favorite superhero movie of all time or anything, but it has taken its place with the other DC offerings on my list of strong comic book movies that I will go back to again.

Okay, responding to some of your comments now...

I don't think a lot of these characters would or did know each other. I think it's like with the Justice League, where the villains might eventually know each other, but at this point there isn't a whole lot of teaming up. Deadshot wasn't robbing banks and causing chaos like the Joker. He just took jobs from high-paying clients. I don't think that he and Harley would run in the same circles.
That said, it would be funny to see Harley end up in Arkham and see some of her former patients. Even funnier if she started therapy sessions in there, with her new brand of medicine.

Joker, I don't disagree about. I was surprised to see how much he seemed to care about Harley, since it was more one-sided in the animated series. But again, this movie was about Harley. If Joker comes back in another movie, hopefully they can flesh out his character a bit.

Boomerang and Croc are definitely the backup singers in this movie. I didn't dislike their characters or think that they should have been cut though. Not everyone on the team can have the same level of attention. Sometimes you need a Chekov and Sulu just to make it a team instead of a buddy-cop movie.

Waller has always been an interesting character to me, because I can never tell if she is a good guy or a bad guy. She does some messed up things, but she doesn't usually do them just for herself or her own gain. In this movie, she struck me as a "greater good" character. She has a mission and no interest in deviating from that mission.

El Diablo did turn out to be a more interesting character than I expected.

I don't think that Deadshot really "beat" Batman. Batman didn't have an interest in pummeling Deadshot in front of his daughter.

I'm still digesting the movie, but I can't think of anything that I really didn't like at all.

Informant wrote:

I don't think that Deadshot really "beat" Batman. Batman didn't have an interest in pummeling Deadshot in front of his daughter..

Well, the reason why I say that Deadshot "beat" Batman was based on a couple things - the "fantasy" sequence when Deadshot had killed Batman and the fact that the daughter stepped in at all.  Both of these are written off pretty easily - the little girl couldn't possibly be expected to understand how the fight is going.  She stepped in because she thought her dad was going to kill Batman - not because he necessarily would.  And the fantasy sequence is just that - a fantasy.

But the way that it was shot, Batman looked like he was helpless and Deadshot had him.  Now I know that Deadshot has a "blind spot" for Batman and usually can't kill him (or misses), but that's not presented in the movie.  He's sitting, ready to fire, when the daughter steps in.  I"d assume that Deadshot could've killed Batman there if he wanted.

I don't know.  I know it wasn't a Batman movie, but if they're going to include Batman in a cameo, I want him to be super terrifying.  And he wasn't.

Boomerang and Croc are definitely the backup singers in this movie. I didn't dislike their characters or think that they should have been cut though. Not everyone on the team can have the same level of attention. Sometimes you need a Chekov and Sulu just to make it a team instead of a buddy-cop movie.

I agree that teams need filler, but one of the problems was not enough backstory for a couple of people.  So here's what I would've done to change things.

- No Boomerang or Croc.  No backstory on either buys you 5-10 minutes, and it doesn't really impact the story (someone else just needs to throw the bomb....so we'll say Flagg just throws it himself.  It wasn't like the bomb was heavy or the throw was far).

- Include the entire seduction/corruption of Harley by Joker.  Instead of "she was a doctor and then she fell in love with her patient....show the whole thing.  Batman the Animated Series did a great job with it, and it only took three minutes of screentime.  It explains so much about Harley's character, and I think it would make more sense.

- Like you said, introduce Slipknot with the same introduction as everyone else.  Also include a scene where Amanda Waller is talking to someone about the bombs either being a trick or not really working in earshot of Slipknot.  The assumption being that Slipknot would automatically try and escape on his own, which would be Amanda's plan the whole time.

- Introduce Katana correctly.  She's just sorta tacked on in the middle, and the audience feels less for her.  Include her from the beginning.

- Make Joker less Scarface and more Joker.

- If you want to include Croc, make him show up as a cameo in the sewers scene.  But if you're going to include him, make his scene matter.

- Batman needs to be terrifying in the flashbacks.  Fast, strong, and big.  Batman also needs to meet with Waller on a rooftop or alley in the mid-credits scene.  Not Bruce in a restaurant (pet peeve).

That's just what I would change.  I think that would make the movie tighter and more character oriented.

Argh. Again, Suicide Squad appears to be holding its own, making more on Friday than Guardians of the Galaxy did on its second Friday, get the articles are all about its massive drop and how doomed they are.

What am I missing here?

I dunno. SUICIDE SQUAD's performance is about what I'd expect from a movie centering on villains who are not cultural icons with a cast that's well known but hardly a box office draw. I adore Will Smith, but he's not exactly the box office giant he used to be. I don't know why anyone would have expected it to do any better than it is right now. Looking to SUICIDE SQUAD to be the next STAR WARS is like expecting SLIDERS REBORN to be the next HUCKLEBERRY FINN. It's a smaller movie for a smaller audience.

That said, while the reshoots don't bother Informant, the general consensus is that the film seems to suffer from severe re-editing and that it has schizophrenic pacing and a confused tone.

While I think that a lot of people have perfectly legit opinions about the movie, I think that a lot of the negative comments are also just echoing what the press told people to see months ago. People are saying that the movie sucks without deleted scenes that nobody has seen, and which only exist as rumors at this point.

The funny part about this weekend is that people released early articles about how Suicide Squad flopped in its second week and what a disaster it is... Then the movie surprised them by remaining on top this week, so now they have to release updates that try to paint that as a failure.

374 (edited by Informant 2016-08-13 18:58:32)

Interesting article:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/ … 7b14bc6f4e

I agree with the article to a point, but disagree about there not being a direct negative PR campaign. This machine that goes negative on the DC movies also promotes films like the new Ghostbusters movie a little too much. Whether it is for some sort of professional gain or just politics, I don't know, but I do know that it is dishonest and should be called out. It is the same as my local news that has a nightly report on the trouble that Trump makes and the chaos at his rallies, followed by a story about Hillary Clinton talking policy (never mentioning the fact that the Orlando shooter's father was right behind her at her rally). Unintentional bias is one thing, or just not liking a movie, but when you continuously hammer lies and misleading articles, while whitewashing other stories, there is more going on.

Something that DC is going to have to look out for regarding their movies.  It was brought up on the Weekly Planet podcast (which, yes, has become a regular listening appointment for me), and I think it's correct (for the record, neither hated it but neither loved it).

BvS was 3-hour movie that was hacked to a point where the theatrical version is certainly worse than the extended edition (where you either liked it and love the longer version or you hated the theatrical and at least think the extended version makes more sense).  With the extended edition, you get scenes where character motivations and plot holes are filled in.  Without it, character motivations are blurred, and the plot makes less sense.

With Suicide Squad, I'm hearing a lot of things.  That Croc and Boomerang have more to do in the extended cut.  That Joker appears more and is more "Joker-y" in the deleted scenes.  That character motivations shifting throughout the movie is explained in deleted scenes.  That the full movie experience will be in the extended cut.

And I wonder how many times they can pull off this trick where you're essentially paying to see the movie twice.  You want to watch a hacked-up version of the movie that will make less sense?  Pay your $15 in theaters.  But you want the real movie with all the scenes that make the movie make sense?  Buy the blu-ray.

If DC wants to have "serious" movies with character development, they can't cut out the scenes that make the characters work.  You can't cut out scenes that make characters worthy of even being in the movie. 

And I have to think, again, that it's partially due to lack of leadership at the top.  How does a 3-hour script get approved when they aren't going to release a 3-hour movie?  Why are we getting an entirely new editing company making a completely different version of a movie based on a trailer?  Why are we hyping up a character who's in the movie for 10 minutes and does nothing?  Why have so many members of the squad when only three are relevant?

Johns and Affleck should fix some of these issues, but it's a bit of a mess when they keep having to say "wait for the blu-ray!  that's the real movie!"

With Batman v Superman, I think the studio did get in the way. Early tests showed that Batman was popular, so they upped the Batman element and cut back the Superman element. While I still liked the movie and still thought that this concept was valid for the movie, it wasn't what the movie was supposed to be. So I agree that they just needed to step back and let the people running the movie release the movie that they wanted. Screw the PG-13 rating that they thought would increase ticket sales. Screw the Batman feedback... but this is nothing new for studios. It's what they do. They take great stories and turn them into watered down products all the time.

If you watch the making of Frozen (I saw it on a special that aired on ABC), you will watch the process of taking a promising story with real depth and character and turning it into nothing more than a marketing gimmick. It was a really frustrating special to watch. They tossed the entire movie out the window because they thought of a catchy song.

The Marvel movies are just as guilty of producing this crap as DC ever was. Probably moreso.

So yeah, the problem with BvS wasn't the people making the movie, it was the people releasing the movie. They don't understand the material, so they got nervous. Bad move.

Suicide Squad is something else, I think. I've read descriptions about some of the deleted scenes. I've read about the missing Joker material (which is largely just Leto going nuts on camera, seeing what works and what doesn't). And while it might be cool to see some of that stuff, I don't think that it is the same situation as BvS. I don't think that the movie will be better by giving the Joker too much screen time and taking focus off of Harley. I don't know that we needed more of the romance between Rick Flag and June Moone. I don't know that we need more of the backstories for other squad members. That's not saying that I don't think there are interesting, worthwhile stories to tell here. They're all solid characters on their own. But for this movie and this story, I think we got what we needed. (with the exception of Slipknot. I know Ayer says that he didn't want to invest time in a misdirect, but I think that they could have spared a few more minutes)

Some of the Joker stuff would round out the relationship with Harley and show how abusive and one-sided it really was. There is enough history there for a whole movie (which will probably be explored in the Batman movie and the Harley movie). But for a movie that is focused on telling Harley's story, I'm not sure how proper it would be to tell the well-rounded version of their romance. Harley always sees Joker through rose-colored glasses. He tries to kill her repeatedly and she still swoons over him. Even in this movie, she glosses over his attempts to kill her.

They do need to stop releasing two versions of each movie. They need to let the directors make their movies and release them in theaters the way they're supposed to be. I just don't think that Suicide Squad is the same situation as BvS.

As for advertising more Joker than we got, movies do that all the time. Jared Leto is a big name, playing a well known character in a movie with a bunch of lesser-known actors, playing lesser-known characters. He got a lot of press, even when it was just people noticing that his hair was green, way back when. So they played up that element. It's not really different than Jennifer Lawrence being played up as an equal in American Hustle, when her screen time was probably less than half that of any of the other stars in the movie. Hell, Drew Barrymore was the poster for Scream. That's just how they market.

And the other company making another cut of the movie was overhyped by a rabid press. Alternate cuts and different takes on the material are put together and tested all the time. I think they finally settled on something in the middle. People are just looking for drama where it doesn't exist there.

377 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2016-08-15 12:40:25)

The problem I have with Suicide Squad is needless excess.  In the theatrical version of the story, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc serve almost zero purpose.  In the words of Nick Mason on the Weekly Planet, they're given "odd jobs" to do just so they feel like part of the team.  But like I said, they could be cut out and there's no real effect on the plot.  Someone else throws the bomb.  That's it.  Captain Boomerang only throws three boomerangs the whole movie, and they give him that "camera boomerang" gimmick just so he feels important (they were upset because they're Australian smile )

Joker's "present day" story, in the theatrical version, serves almost no purpose.  If you cut it out entirely, then there's just two effects:

1. Amanda Waller gets on the second helicopter "first"
2. You either have to explain why Harley is separated from the group after the helicopter crash or just cut out their reunion (either of which would work seamlessly). 

Other than that, there's just some text messages.  Joker's role could've simply been in the flashbacks (and if you want a final shot, him breaking her out of prison) and it still works.  You could even have him be "dead" from Batman instead of the helicopter crash, and her surprise that he's alive still works.

If you can cut that much of a character from a film and create almost no plot holes, then the character doesn't need to be there.  And I thought Leto's Joker was boring enough that he could've been cut, and my enjoyment of the movie would've been negligibly affected.

So I'd be counting on deleted scenes to justify the existence of these characters.  If I'm supposed to care about Killer Croc, Captain Boomerang, the Joker, or Katana, it's gotta be in deleted scenes.  Otherwise, those characters didn't need to be in the movie, and the "extended cut" should be versions where they're edited out.  Because, yeah, teams need redshirts, but Slipknot has more impact on the story than Joker/Boomerang/Croc.  And he's barely introduced, and he's in the movie for two minutes.

That's a problem, IMO.

As a side exercise, try to take out someone like Hawkeye or Fury from the Avengers and see what plot holes arise.  Even characters like Maria Hill and Dr. Selvig have crucial elements that cannot be eliminated.  Same with Guardians.  If you want to talk non-comic book movies, even something like Star Trek has a crucial scene for every main character.  Not just participating in a large action sequence, something they're actually contributing to the story.

That's the problem.  Imagine a Justice League movie where Cyborg does almost nothing for the entire plot and can be edited out without causing any plot holes.  It'd be a huge problem.

I disagree about Croc and Boomerang. I think that they helped to flesh out the team and the movie as a whole. They are definitely supporting players, but they did serve a purpose in my eyes. Their presence influenced other characters and events.

Joker, I could have lived with him in flashbacks only. I think that his present day plot added to the chaos of the team and Harley's interaction with other characters, but he could have been kept in flashbacks. That said, Harley's escape plan provided a lot of my favorite beats (hanging from the rope, tumbling on the rooftop, and other moments). Losing that whole arc would be a mistake.

As for the Avengers... I could probably make a case for removing Thor or Hulk entirely. In the Avengers movies especially, the characters are so flat that their lines could probably be swapped around in a many scenes.
I'm curious to see Civil War because Cap and Iron Man are probably the strongest of their characters. It will be interesting to see an Avengers movie without some of the blander characters.

I mean if you got something from Croc or Boomerang, that's awesome.  I know I saw the movie last weekend, but the more time that passes, the less I can remember *anything* relevant that they did.  They make a couple offhand jokes, Boomerang is the one that convinces Slipknot to escape, Croc swims underneath the battle scene (but doesn't detonate the bomb). 

Informant wrote:

As for the Avengers... I could probably make a case for removing Thor or Hulk entirely. In the Avengers movies especially, the characters are so flat that their lines could probably be swapped around in a many scenes.

And this is where I think you're misunderstanding me.  Mis-utilizing the characters or under-utilizing them is different from what I'm talking about.  If you edit out Hulk, you cause plot holes (how did they find the sceptor?  How does Thor get thrown off the heli-carrier?  How does Loki end up unconscious in Stark's tower?).  Thor would be almost impossible to remove without destroying the movie (who took Loki into custody?  how did Loki escape the ship?).  Not to mention there are scenes that revolve entirely around one of those characters (Thor sets up the first intra-Avengers fight, and Hulk is in the middle of the second one).

If you took editing software and literally removed Killer Croc and Captain Boomerang from every ensemble scene and removed any scene where the characters are alone, I really don't think any plot holes are created outside of "who threw the bomb?"  Slipknot escapes because of course he does.  The soldiers take the bomb through the sewers because that was the plan originally.  There's no "video boomerang" but they got intel some other way.

Some dialogue might not make sense, but we're talking about removing entire characters with (and again, I could be forgetting something) almost zero impact on the plot.

Thor and Hulk might be one-dimensional characters and they could probably be swapped for someone more interesting, but you can't edit out their scenes and still have a movie that makes sense.  Croc and Boomerang literally (and I mean that) have almost no impact on the plot and can be removed without affecting anything.

A good recent example is Rogue from Days of Future Past.  She was removed entirely from the plot, and it didn't impact anything.  Her story was interesting and it did add to the plot when she's there, but it was removed without altering the main story.  So, yes, Croc and Boomerang might've done the same.  But for the most part, they're doing so little and contributing so little that there was almost no point in them being in the movie at all.

If you replaced Thor and Hulk in Informant's argument with Black Widow and Hawkeye, it makes more sense? As far as AVENGERS goes, at least.

I don't know that we're talking about entirely different things. You're talking about removing characters and reworking their scenes so that their work is done by someone else. In the end, the story might be tighter. With the Avengers, the problem is that if you take those characters out, you're forced to get rid of a lot of plot points that were jammed into the story and added little to nothing anyway. The problem with The Avengers is that a lot of the movie is made up of fanboy scenes that weakened the overall movie. The carrier scenes make no sense because apparently the big plan is to kindly ask the Hulk to get into his prison cell if he happens to break loose. The inter-Avengers arguments are thrown into the middle the story, detracting from the immediacy of the actual plot of the movie. Removing those fanboy elements would actually make the movie stronger. So while Croc and Boomerang might not add anything special, they don't really detract from the overall plot either. They don't add useless scenes of Captain Boomerang doing nothing in particular, just because it might look fun on camera.

But I guess I shouldn't get into The Avengers again, because it is a rabbit hole. The problem isn't even necessarily the characters, it's the writing. The whole thing is filled with plot holes and fanboy moments, and the actual plot is about three levels down on the list of priorities for the people making the movie.

Back to the topic at hand...

You know how you sometimes add salt to a recipe, not because you want the finished product to be salty, but because a little bit of salt can actually bring out the sweetness in it? I think the same is true for those characters. Croc and Boomerang don't have huge important moments on their own, but the way the other characters orbit around them gives them meaning.

Another example that I could give would be Major Ferris in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. She isn't a major character. She doesn't have a plotline. You could edit out most of, if not all of her lines and there would be no real change to the plot of the movies. However, her just being there on the team adds a different element that would be absent otherwise. She serves to strengthen the foundation upon which the plot is built.

In the Avengers world, I'd say that Hill or Coulson would be along the same lines. They add a little flavor, but removing them entirely and giving their lines to someone else would leave a movie that is more or less the same.

Well, I'm just thinking that characters need to serve a purpose.  "Not detracting from the overall plot" shouldn't be reasons to include characters.  If there's nothing for them to do, they shouldn't have been included.  It might be more realistic for Amanda Waller to put more people on the team than she needs, and it's realistic that all of them wouldn't have time to shine.  But this is a movie., and characters need to have some sort of purpose to the story.  It'd be realistic for Justice League to have the entire Justice League Unlimited roster to fight Darkseid or Steppenwolf, but it's probably not right for the movie.

I mean, again, if you think they added to the story, that's cool.  We're not going to get an SQ21 version where they're edited out so that's not something you need to worry about.  smile

I do hope that Wonder Woman and Justice League are movies where we get the "real" version in theaters.  No more hacked up theatrical releases and "fixed" blu-rays smile

Have they announced an Ultimate Edition for Suicide Squad? I've been looking out for it, but I haven't seen one pop up.

I don't think it's been announced, but people have identified a number of scenes included prominently in the trailers that didn't appear in the movie.  So whether or not there's an extended edition released, there's enough for one down the road.  Whether it's the original Ayer version, the original Trailer Park version, or some sort of version with everything thrown in.

While trying to cast Shazam / Captain Marvel, the guys at the Weekly Planet threw out the idea of Jared Padalecki.  Thoughts?

I could see that. I was thinking that he could be Nightwing, but he might be too old for that.

Ooh, I really like that too.  Padalecki is 34 and Affleck is 44.  That'd work, honestly.  If Bruce started his career at 25 and Dick was a teenager when his parents were killed.

Although I don't know if Nightwing will be in the DCEU.  I bet there's only one Robin and he ends up being Red Hood.

I would like Nightwing to end up in the Arrowverse, though.  I don't know how you do Dick without having the rights to Bruce, but one step at a time.

I think it'd be a shame to finally have a Batman at the right point in his career to include Nightwing and not go there. The way I imagine the upcoming Batman movie would have Dick out on his own after Jason died and Bruce went off the rails. As Bruce attempts to put his family back together (possibly including Batgirl) , we would get the story of how Jason died.

The question is, should Barbara have been another victim of his crusade, and now in a wheelchair? Or should she still be Batgirl?

389 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2016-08-22 22:55:09)

I agree and would love to see Nightwing on screen, but I'm guessing they're going to simplify things.  There was only one Robin, and he was "killed" (apparently by Harley per Suicide Squad).  He'd come back in a Red Hood story.  If Barbara Gordon is alive, she's not Oracle.

I said loooooonnnnnngggg ago that if they're going with an old Batman they'd get to do some cool Bat-Family stuff, but BvS gave *no* indication that the Bat-Family ever existed.  The Robin suit (which was shown but never mentioned in dialogue - "you've been a mess since *whoever* died") is the only indication that Bruce ever had a partner.  No partner in Suicide Squad, and if Harley did kill Dick/Jason/Tim, Bruce is able to control his emotions when he arrests her (the punch aside).

And I'd figure if they were setting up a Bat-Family, there would've been *something* in BvS.  Oracle or Robin or Nightwing offering to help or to bring Bruce back from the darkness.  Either before or after the "Martha" scene.  Maybe a phone call after Superman died to Barbara or Dick or Tim or whoever to apologize for acting crazy since *whichever Robin* died.  Promising to be better.  Even a line where Alfred says something about "you never even call back Master Grayson anymore" in the middle of the movie would've shown how alone Bruce was.

This was a movie at a) focused on Bruce and b) was definitely made with the intention of showing a bigger universe.  They didn't have to have a huge scene where Nightwing shows up - just a line of dialogue to indicate he exists.  Or an Easter Egg suit alongside the Robin one. 

The logical explanation for the lack of anything is the simplest one - Batman had a partner and he died.  No one is helping him because Robin was the only one who did, and Bruce never had another partner.  Alfred doesn't mention him because he knows Bruce would just fly off the handle.

Just my guess.

I hope they don't skip Dick or make him the dead one. I think I read that the suit has been confirmed as Jason's. If they're smart, they'll keep Dick around somewhere. It's easy enough to explain his absence in BvS, since I imagine he isn't interested in speaking to Bruce at the moment.

I think the suit gave us a hint that there is a lot of history for this Bruce, which still needs to be explored. He wasn't just Batman, he was a broken Batman. I think they implied the Jason Todd death, which implies a lot of other history. It kept the door open for the upcoming Batman movie without directly referencing anything specific. I'm definitely curious to see what they do with it. They have a movie that is potentially very twisted and complex here... Not just with Jason dying, but Barbara being shot, Batman going crazy and beating Joker's teeth out... they could even go to the rape storyline with Dick. I mean, they could really tear into the idea of Batman and how is has torn the lives of the Bat-family apart. Was it worth it? Did they do what they wanted to do?

Batman could be trying to work his way back to them and show them what he has been working on with the Justice League. He could try to show them that it's still worth fighting for.

The kicker could be that Dick never really gave it up. Robin might have died, but Nightwing never did. Maybe he's even been working with Oracle. The only one no longer in the Bat-family has been Batman.

I can understand the idea that Dick doesn't want to talk to Bruce or vice versa, but Dick thinks of Bruce as his father.  Bruce thinks of Dick as a son.  I don't think they'd be able to stay silent when Bruce is about to fight Superman.  And if they did, I don't think the silence would last long.  Dick would call Bruce and apologize - thank God that he wasn't dead.  Or Bruce would call and apologize.  Couldn't believe that things went so bad.

These are world-building, character moments that would've really helped establish the world.  My problem with BvS is that I'm still not really sure who Batman is.  We know the crazy, murderous guy that Bruce became, but who was Batman before?  We've had three DCEU movies, two featuring Bruce, and we know almost nothing about him.  How long was he Batman?  Did he have other partners?  Was he retired when Superman showed up?  Did he retire because of Robin or something else?

BvS is a 3+ hour movie, and Batman is the protagonist.  How could they not give us more than we got?

I think that the Robin suit was enough for me. Much more than that and you need a Dick subplot with an arc of its own, or else it is just a long dangling thread, which wouldn't contribute to the story at hand. If it ever wound up in this already massive script, it would be the first thing cut.

You wouldn't need a Dick subplot.  Any line of dialogue in a 3-hour movie would hint at a larger world.  It happens all the time.  I mean, heck, it happens a ton *in the movie*.  We got teases of Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg without any special subplots.  We got hints of Bruce in Man of Steel.  A cool Flash cameo in Suicide Squad.

And it wouldn't have been forced.  We know that Bruce isn't acting like himself.  We know that Alfred is worried about him to the point where it seems like he's about to quit on him.  These are all times when someone (Alfred, probably) could point how history is repeating itself.  Or how people care about him.  Or how he's not in this alone.

Not mentioning anything about it, in my opinion, seems like a conscious effort to say that nothing is there.  Again, I hope I'm wrong.  But no Nightwing casting for Justice League.  And if the Batman solo film is entirely in Arkham then we probably won't get any Bat-Family characters there either.  Red Hood could be coming, but you just need one Robin for that. 

I'm guessing they'll go the simple route and the route that makes most sense to the public.  There was one Robin, Dick Grayson.  He died and then he came back as Red Hood.

I guess we will have to wait and find out. I just really hope that they don't miss this opportunity.

I agree.  But this is the ultimate time for Easter Eggs, hints, etc, and there's just nothing in the three movies to indicate that Batman ever had another partner.  There's a Robin Easter Egg in both BvS and Suicide Squad, but there's nothing else.  And in this age of hints and teases and after credits scenes and ultimate editions, you gotta think they'd throw something in if the Bat-Family was going to be used at all.

I hope I'm wrong too.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v … gue-922508

Looks like Justice League Dark isn't dead after all! Suicide Squad brought magic to the DCEU, which surprised me. I didn't expect it so soon, and I expected it to be eased in before they really went there. But they just closed their eyes and jumped, which will make it that much easier down the line, since magic can be a hard sell, even for people who are willing to accept other comic book elements.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38080 … s#/slide/1

A couple interesting tidbits from this:

1) It provides the first visual evidence (that I've seen) that Harley was involved in Robin's death.  Although it says "accomplice" - she didn't do it (as was previously reported).  Since she's Joker's accomplice, that makes sense.  And based on how she reacted when she found out about Diablo's crime, she might've even been an unwilling accomplice.  Changes things a tad.

2) I didn't notice this, but Jared Leto was second billing in the end credits, ahead of Margot Robbie.  Considering how many scenes were seemingly cut (based on scenes not in the trailer and leaked scene descriptions), that both makes sense from a credits perspective (which were probably made before the movie was completely edited and/or were based on contractual obligations which were signed before the movie was completely edited) and explains why Leto is so upset.  He was signed as second-billing and gets a wandering 10 minutes of screentime.

I forgot to respond to your last post... I will do that when I get a chance.☺

But for now I'm just posting to say that it looks like Deathstroke may be featured in the new Batman movie...

https://twitter.com/BenAffleck/status/7 … 46245?s=09

That looks like a costume test more than any real filming, in my opinion. But it is definitely Deathstroke.

It could still happen, but I was hoping the speculation would be true about Affleck's film being set as an "Escape from Arkham Asylum" type movie.

I haven't seen the video yet, but does it discount the idea that they aren't doing the Asylum movie?  There were a ton of rumors about that.

It could happen, but I wouldn't take many of the plot rumors seriously at this point. Either way, there is a lot of ground to cover for this character, so it should be interesting.

Dang, I was hoping to respond to the post about the Suicide Squad stuff, but it turns out that the video links work no better on my computer than they did when I tried them on my phone. I guess they've been removed.

I will say, I hope Leto isn't as upset as they're making him out to be. This reminds me of Tina Louise saying that she was tricked into signing onto Gilligan's Island because she was told that the show would be about a movie star stuck on the island... The show was still called Gilligan's Island, so she really should have known.

I'm sure that there's a lot of really interesting stuff with Mr. J that was left on the editing room floor, but he obviously wasn't going to be a star in this movie. He is neither on the Suicide Squad, nor the villain that they are trying to stop. There was no way that he was ever going to be anything more than a supporting character, and supporting characters are only used as much as they are needed. If he is very upset about this after having spent so many years in the industry, he really hasn't been paying attention.

Well, the only thing is that he got billing (in the credits that were released) second.  Ahead of everyone but Will Smith.  That doesn't always mean anything, but it does usually mean something.  The example I keep thinking of is Scream with Drew Barrymore, but 1) that was done as a surprise because she dies so early and 2) she's still the final "and" billing on the poster (5th spot).

For Leto to be 2nd billing, he'd either need to be paid the 2nd highest (which is possible even if he's not the 2nd star) or he's the 2nd biggest character.  And, again, just based on material that made it into the trailers, there's enough to think that maybe he was a much bigger character.  Maybe even as big as Harley (Leto is ahead of Robbie, who's easily a top two character in this movie, and she's arguably a bigger star than him).

So maybe they sold him as a big enough force in this movie and in Harley's backstory that he could be 2nd billing.   And if he was sold that, then I could see why he was upset.  If he wasn't sold that, I can't really explain why he'd be second billing.  He both doesn't have that big of an impact on the narrative and doesn't have the screen time to warrant that.

Just watched Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition) again. I still say it's a great movie. With people binge watching 10 episodes of a TV show on a regular basis these days, I don't get the complaint that three hours is too long. I would understand that complaint if they spent an hour retelling origin stories or wasting time needlessly, but I never feel like the story is being put on hold for the sake of fanboy jollies. The development of the plot is steady and always moving toward something important.

That said, it does feel like two movies in a way. By the time you get through the Doomsday fight, the Senate hearing feels like it happened ages ago. That is a good thing. The movie feels big and epic.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38146 … d#/slide/1

Well that would have been a different kind of movie. smile

I don't know. A lot of people obsess over alternate versions and unused ideas, but I don't know what to do with that information.

Well, it's just one of those things.  These types of universes are sometimes built solely on the star power of the star playing a character.  Would the MCU be the same if Tom Cruise had been cast as Tony Stark?  Downey Jr.  has been very willing to do cameos and restructure his contract (granted, for a lot of money) to be the face of the MCU.  Would Cruise have done the same?  If Iron Man is just a sorta standard superhero film, does the MCU even take off?  Everything was sorta riding on that movie, and RDJ was a big part of it succeeding.

The same with the DCCU.  What if Jesse Eisenberg had played Jimmy in BvS, as was the original plan?  What if they'd hired the fan's idea of Bryan Cranston as Lex?  If Lex was a better villain, would BvS have been better received?  Would Lex have a bigger part in the MCU (would they have had time to add him to, say, Suicide Squad)?

Same thing about Affleck.  He's basically going to be in every DCCU movie because he's been so well received.  But what if we got 2003 Daredevil Affleck as Bruce Wayne?  Or if they'd cast a young unknown (which would've been my idea) and that actor dropped the ball?  Would Batman have still made the cut of Suicide Squad?  Would he be cameoing in Wonder Woman?  Probably not.

Stuff like that is interesting to me.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38157 … f-the-dceu

Hopefully "no connective tissue" doesn't mean it's not part of the universe.  Even if there's no other characters or interactions, I don't see a point in having a selectively connected cinematic universe.  Forcing a Bruce Wayne cameo is stupid - just flat-out saying it's a different universe would be just as stupid IMO.

Informant wrote:

Have they announced an Ultimate Edition for Suicide Squad? I've been looking out for it, but I haven't seen one pop up.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38333 … e#/slide/1

Ah. I guess it makes sense, since people have been talking about the deleted stuff. I just hope that they don't add stuff that was taken out for a good reason. We shall see!

I'm excited to see the movie again either way.

I still haven't seen the BvS extended edition.  Or the Killing Joke animated film.  I'm behind on a lot of stuff.

Dude... You have to watch the Ultimate Edition. It is a complete movie now.

While I did like the theatrical cut, I think WB was absolutely wrong to cut the movie the way they did.

We are getting a Suicide Squad sequel, a Harley Quinn spinoff called Gotham Sirens (with Megan Fox possibly as Poison Ivy?), and a Deadshot sequel.

Suicide Squad must've been a much bigger success than I thought.  I'm also entertained at the idea of Informant having to praise Megan Fox's work as Ivy wink

You know... Megan Fox really pulled off her role on New Girl. I'm not as horrified by the thought as I might have been at one point.

The question that I have in regards to Sirens is, who will the hero of the movie be? Yeah, Suicide Squad proved that you can have a movie about villains, but you'd think that in this scenario there would have to be a hero for them to face. Batgirl? Black Canary? All of the Birds of Prey? That might be cool, actually.

Megan Fox is an interesting person. One generally assumes that women who get lots and lots and lots of plastic surgery are vain, superficial creatures fixated largely on how they look and how others respond to how they look and are not possessed of any intellectual pursuits with creative ambitions, much like Kari Wuhrer in the 90s. But Megan Fox was actually an aspiring comic book writer and artist who approached several sub-DC/Marvel level comic book publishers (Top Cow, Wildstorm, Cliffhanger, Aspen) on numerous occasions with proposals and pitches. Fox failed to break into comics and fell back on acting and modelling. Is the world poorer without Megan Fox written and illustrated comics? I do not know, but God knows the comic book world needs more women in creative roles.

416 (edited by Grizzlor 2016-12-17 15:47:33)

I watched BvS the other day, it was terrible.  Zack Snyder is awful.  I really enjoyed Man of Steel, so this was a huge letdown.

As for Megan Fox, not a fan of her acting, but she's usually pretty nice to fans, so that's a plus in my book.

Grizzlor, did you watch the theatrical version or the extended cut?

I think that Megan Fox got a bad reputation for the way she handled herself when Transformers came out. She was cast in sexy roles that focused more on her body than her acting, but acted like she wanted to be taken seriously and was above it all. But whatever. She was young. She is funny on New Girl and seems geek friendly. She might be cool.

I saw whatever was on HBO On Demand, which I imagine was theatrical.  Frankly I can't imagine an extended cut making it any better.  I've never watched a "newer" cut that improved anything that much.  I thought Affleck was terrible.  Again, I didn't want this movie.  I wanted a sequel to Man of Steel.  I thoroughly enjoyed Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, etc. in their roles.  I personally DETEST the team up films.  Avengers, Civil War, now this, I think they're all garbage.  You have to trade story and character for action, because you have too many damn big name characters.  X-Men have been enjoyable, but they exist in a separate universe where they have functioned film after film.  I'm looking forward to GOTG 2 and Ant-Man sequel, but not the team up movies they'll appear in.

The extended version does a better job with some of that. The theatrical version turns Superman into a character that we see from everyone else's point of view, but not really his own. The extended cut restores his point of view, turning him into a proper lead in the movie. It gives him a whole plotline and character arc that was downplayed in the theatrical version.

I enjoyed both cuts, but I doubt that I'd ever go back to the theatrical cut. It isn't the movie that was intended, it was the movie that the studio demanded because they wanted it to be a certain length. In the extended version, you have Superman pursuing Batman and Batman pursuing Superman in a much more balanced way... and you also have information that makes you understand why they would be going after each other. Every character ends up looking better.

But yeah, I still want a proper sequel to MoS too. Fortunately, it is in the works. I just hope that they don't listen to all of the critics and turn a really good Superman into another Christopher Reeve rehash.

Not for nothing, but if you can't make a good, complete movie in 110 minutes, you failed as director.  Wish someone had control like that over Peter Jackson, it *might* have made his movies watchable.  Snyder had 153 minutes and couldn't do it!  I don't know if I could bear a THREE hour cut!  Ha ha ha.  I suppose I'll have to give it a shot, though I loathe buying blu-ray's.