Re: DC Superheroes in Film (Theatrical and Streaming)

I disagree. A lot of people don't like long movies, but will binge watch a 13 episode season of a show on Netflix. I really think that it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Trying to take a 3 hour movie and cut it down to a 2 hour movie (or 2 1/2) will make the movie weaker. Yes, you could probably cut a plotline here or a character arc there, but that wouldn't necessarily strengthen the movie, it could very easily weaken it.

It all comes down to specific stories. Like with literature... You have short stories, novellas, novels (which can range anywhere from 50,000 words to 300,000+ words) and series. A good writer will know how the story wants to be told and listen to it (says the guy who is currently prepping book 4 of 6, in a series that is still labeled as a trilogy on his computer).

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

I wonder if they could've done something sorta revolutionary and make it into a miniseries of sorts.  Distribute it themselves on their own website.  Then it could've been 4 hours, and people could watch it in episodes. 

I have no idea what it would cost to make that work financially, though.  $20 a viewing?  More?

Problem is you lose the international box office, which is often what Hollywood relies on now to make money.

If they streamed it on their own site, it would probably not make much. They would have to partner with a service to make it work. Even Amazon or Hulu would be iffy. Netflix could work, but they already partner with Marvel.

Nah, they're probably better off the way they did it.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

I mean I guess if they're okay with releasing a butchered movie and then hoping true fans will buy the "actual" version on Blu-Ray.  But you gotta think if Wonder Woman and/or Justice League does the same thing, it's gonna end up hurting the bottom line.

I'd think they'd create a site - not a subscription site.  But just a site with only DC stuff.  You log on and you pay - either a one-time fee to own it or a smaller fee for a one-time viewing (that you could do multiple times).  Blockbusters are probably going to move in that direction, anyway.  They're already creating a system that would allow you to download new films the day they're released (for something like $50).  I've read speculation that movie theaters could go away in the next couple decades as streaming becomes the norm.  DC would just be ahead of the curve.  Multi-billion dollar TV shows smile

And do international audiences not do streaming services?

Releasing a bunch of versions of movies hasn't hurt Star Wars. smile

I do think that they need to just release one version, and they need to stop thinking that they can create better product than the writers and directors. You can't just pull things out without making a dent.

Now, when it comes to Suicide Squad, I'm not sure if the extended cut really changes anything yet, but I didn't think that there was much missing from the theatrical version.

Well, with Suicide Squad, it's almost certainly just the first extended cut.  This one doesn't include the Joker stuff, so there'll be a "Joker's Wild" edition at some point.

I've always expected the Joker stuff to be a bunch of over-hyped nonsense. Jared Leto probably spent hours being all "method" in front of the camera, and they chose what they needed to make the movie work.

I'm sure that there are deleted scenes that were story points at some point, but it was probably edited in a way that built up Harley, rather than the Joker.

I could be wrong, but I think that people are expecting way too much from this Joker footage.

Well, we know the shots exist, and if they weren't in the extended cut (and I read they weren't), then WB will definitely want to make money off them.

I mean, I'm sure that it could happen that way... But it's also possible that the people making the trailer just got access to footage before the film was fully edited and there is no cut with them in there. I've seen that happen with other movies.

I absolutely agree with that.  There probably isn't.  But that doesn't mean that the studio won't want to rerelease next year or prior to Suicide Squad 2 a re-edited cut with the Joker stuff.  It happens all the time.  There've been about 20 versions of Terminator 2 smile

Suicide Squad is a good example, because almost immediately word got out that Jared Leto's role was basically evaporated in the editing room.  This angered a lot of prospective movie goers.  Also, I kind of feel "cheated" by these things.  It's one thing to be Ridley Scott, who always seems to have a "director's cut," because I feel like his movies are complete as they are.  In many cases, they are his own edits, not the studio meddling.  Even as good a movie as Rogue One is, you hear about all these reshoots and edits, and wonder what it looked like originally?  Personally I hope we DON'T see those, because I just feel like those weren't the movie.  George Lucas butchered his films multiple times over.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38786 … r#/slide/1

Why does Flash's costume have huge patches with no red on them?  The armor makes sense (and I like the look) but the big sections of black look really odd to me.  It's like he was halfway done painting his costume and got distracted.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38829 … isnt-great

Sounds like Affleck wants to knock this one out of the park, and he's not going to let DC screw with it the way they've seemingly screwed with other projects.  Good for him....he's been the best part of the DCCU (surprising everyone, including me).

I do respect that... But I wouldn't say that he is the *best* part. Cavill did a great job with Superman and I like what I've seen of Gadot so far. Also, Robbie knocked it out of the park with Harley.

I think that what I'm saying here is, they've all been pretty solid so far.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38958 … e#/slide/1

Left without comment.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38958 … e#/slide/1

Left without comment.

What worries me is that I've seen how Warner thinks in the past.  In order to bolster this failing pile of garbage, they may totally gut the Flash tv series believing that will somehow stop their movie from looking so bad.

I've been worried all season that they're going to kill off Barry and make Wally the star.

I'm fine with delays like this. And I'm fine if they just scrap the movie until the series is over. I prefer this to what we sometimes see, with nonsensical movies being rushed, just because they already announced a release date.

Take the time to do it right, or don't do it. Though I'm sure whiny people in comments sections are taking the opportunity to declare the DCEU dead, and how this is a sign of how horrible they are.

A movie signed a director who then left, then signed a replacement who then left, then has its existing screenplay thrown out in favour of starting over -- that is a movie that is clearly suffering severely from (a) a studio that keeps retooling the product without a clear direction (b) a studio that's incapable of finding a director willing or able to realize that vision and (c) a studio without any confidence in a product and without any idea what that product even is.

MAN OF STEEL had a pretty clear vision of presenting a more physical, visceral Superman. BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN DAWN OF JUSTICE (dear God, that title) and SUICIDE SQUAD, however, seem to suffer from severe second-guessing and cold feelt; BVSDOJ (that title!) and SS were both ambitious films with passionate directors who turned in a final cut -- and then the studio abruptly hacked up both movies. BVSDOJ was re-edited to make it as short as possible, slicing out Superman's character arc and rendering the film incoherent. SS was reshot and re-edited so clumsily that the scene to scene progression of the film is even more nonsensical than the theatrical cut of BVSDOJ.

In both cases, there was a perfectly good movie in the edit bay that was sent to theatres literally cut to ribbons and now it seems to be happening to THE FLASH before it's even begun to film -- except, of course, we have no way of knowing if THE FLASH was ever good or not.

I disagree about Suicide Squad. Ayer insists that there is no super secret cut locked away somewhere. The movie is what it is. I like it.

I disagree about BvS too, but we don't beat that dead horse.

The Flash is a weird situation. How do they make this movie without stepping on the toes of the series? How do they tell the story of Barry Allen in a way that is valid on its own, but doesn't invalidate the series? Part of me has suspected that this movie could be scrapped entirely, because there isn't a huge need for it. It doesn't surprise me that they're having trouble getting it just right. It took how long to get a good Superman script?

I'm not deducting points for this. Knowing when to change course despite the master plan is a sign that someone cares what they put on screen.

This is why I'm been preaching that DC needs someone overseeing all of this stuff.  Not because the Marvel way is the best way but because there seems to be so many arms reaching into the pot on this.

Right now, Marvel has a plan.  It's a plan that Informant hates, but Marvel movies feel like Marvel movies.  Somehow, Ant-Man feels like it's in the same universe as Thor and the same universe as Guardians.  The only questions about Marvel are which movies come next.

DC, whether you like the movies or not, is a mess.  There's been almost no buzz on Wonder Woman, which is weird because the trailers were largely very positive.  There's now talk of DC doing a Black Adam solo movie along with a Shazam movie because they hired a star to play the villain before they hired a hero (who will, no matter what, be a bigger star than the hero).  I've heard more details on the Green Lantern Corps movie than the Aquaman movie (and one is in production and the other isn't supposed to come out until 2020).

They need to answer a question - is Zach Snyder's vision for the universe what they want, or do they need to make a change?  Because everything they're doing seems reactionary.  Man of Steel was good but had flaws so they tried to cover up those flaws and throw in Batman.  But then people were so excited about Batman that they turned the Man of Steel sequel into a Batman movie.  Then people hated that.  So they took a dark movie about villains and tried to make it funny and bright, but then that movie didn't make sense.  So they are trying to make Justice League more fun.  It wouldn't surprise me if reactions to all-black Superman made them do massive re-edits and re-shoots to have Justice League primarily take place in the Kryptonian afterlife.  Life Superman meets Contact.

To their credit, they haven't fired Snyder.  And they seem willing, at first, to let directors do their own thing (which Marvel doesn't really do - they allow directors to color the way they want as long as they color within Marvel's lines).  But if they want to do the joint universe thing, they need the universe to live by a set of rules.  Otherwise, it's not a universe at all.

David Ayers said there would be no extended cut of SUICIDE SQUAD -- and then came the SUICIDE SQUAD EXTENDED EDITION, which seems like the kind of confusion that seems to have infected THE FLASH before it's even started filming.

That's the thing.  Giving directors the freedom to make their version of something is great, but the studio is meddling too much.  I still haven't seen BvS extended edition (nor the one for Suicide Squad), but apparently the BvS one is better.  So it doesn't matter if they're letting directors make their own movies if the studio is going to hack them up.

That is one reason to have a Kevin Feige role.  Someone to defend movies against the studio, if nothing else.

The problem with the Marvel plan is that while they all look alike, none of them look great. The movies are shoved through production and into theaters, oftentimes without any thought or effort put into them. They are sloppy and make no sense, but they all look the same. That's really because they are poorly directed, with basic quickie tv shots, rather than the care that you'd normally expect in a large scale film.

The Marvel plan doesn't work. It makes a sh!T-ton of money, but so does McDonald's. That doesn't make it food.

The studio interference with BvS was a mistake. I agree with that. I think the movie was fine edited, but works better whole. So I probably won't watch the theatrical version again.

Suicide Squad was a whole film in the theater. I haven't watched the extended cut yet (today maybe) but from what I understand, it is a basic extended cut with a few extra minutes that don't greatly alter the film. So I don't think Suicide Squad really fits into the same box as BvS.

I think people are looking for drama where it doesn't exist. Aquaman is in pre-pay toon now and we probably won't see anything from it until ComicCon. Even then, it will be a tease. We know who the villain is and who will be in the movie. There isn't much more that can be reported.
Wonder Woman has a lot of good buzz going for it, but we already have "mysterious inside sources" creating the negative narrative that will eventually become the reviews that will undoubtedly be written three weeks before anyone sees the movie.

While this Flash news is another big headline, it is neither surprising nor really unusual.

In the end, people will complain that the DC movies are horrible while they I didn't that Marvel really knows how to get it right. All of the movies will get low Rotten Tomatoes scores while all of the Marvel movies will get high scores. And we will be having this same discussion about the Cyborg movie in a couple of years.

But you know what? When I went to buy the Suicide Squad at Best Buy, the woman checking me out smiled and said that she'd just watched it the night before and how much she liked it. Then when I went back to get some money back because the movie was on sale a week later, the guy in customer service's eyes lit up when he saw the sale price because he was excited to own the movie. The people I interact with seem to like these horrible messes of movies that nobody is supposed to like. So Rotten Tomatoes doesn't matter. The people who try to declare doom and gloom in the comments section of every article don't matter. The journalists with their mysterious sources don't matter. Some people will like the movies, and some people will spend way too much of their lives telling us how much they hate them.

446 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2017-01-27 10:50:47)

Okay, but I don't even think we're talking about a quality issue.  Take the Marvel quality completely out of it.  What Marvel has is a singular person at the top who is protecting the brand.  If Disney had wanted to edit Captain America mostly out of Civil War because people loved Iron Man, it would be Kevin Feige's job to make sure that didn't happen.  No one was there to do that for Batman/Superman, and it ended up, frankly, making Superman's character look terrible.  If the extended cut had been released, maybe there wouldn't be so much hate for the character, and there'd be more buzz for the universe.

And again, if the studio isn't meddling, directors can make their own movies.  Aquaman can be Aquaman instead of DC Cinematic Universe Episode 6.

I think part of the problem with Warner Bros is that they are way too reactionary.  So instead of following a roadmap (like Marvel is doing), they keep reacting and changing the plan.  Is the universe supposed to be gritty and realistic?  Is it supposed to be a dark examination on what it's like to be a hero?  Are we okay with people dying or not? 

And the problem is that I don't think anyone's sat down and analyzed the rules of this universe.  Man of Steel didn't make any indication that any superhumans existed.  And, yet, we now know that Batman had been around for a long time when Clark was growing up.  We know that Crocodile men exist.  That the US military was assisted by a magical Amazon goddess in World War I.  A costumed hero shouldn't have been as big of a deal as it was.

Then there's Batman.  We're led to believe that Batman is well known and has had most of his career.  But Clark refers to him as "this bat vigilante in Gotham" - it makes him sound like Knox in Batman '89 where Batman has *just started* and no one knows who he is?  He'd already been driving his tank around at least two US cities....people would know who he was.

If DC wants to go against the grain, fine.  If they want their movies to be connected in a universe but otherwise separate, that's great.  But if it's a universe, the universe has to make sense.  And they currently have three movies that feel like they're in very different worlds.  And BvS doesn't even seem to make sense from scene to scene because that world is so confusing.  Not to mention, we have three movies and the only likeable protagonists are the bad guys in Suicide Squad smile

We have to stop comparing DC and Marvel. Marvel is flawed because they put out crap. That isn't a working model. It isn't a good model. It isn't a model to aspire to. There are what, a dozen Marvel movies, plus multiple tv shows? And how much of them are actually good? Maybe five good movies, if we're generous? One really solid TV show? It makes a lot of money and people seem to have a good time with them, but it isn't something to compare every other comic book movie to. Having one guy running things doesn't make their universe cohesive. The supposedly connected tv shows really aren't connected. The characters appear in movies together, but usually don't have consistent personalities or character arcs. They can't seem to decide how they want to approach Captain America's costume, so the tone of it shifts from movie to movie.

It is easy to compare these studios and their movies, but the reality is that they're not doing the same thing. We really shouldn't be holding them up next to each other.

I don't find the DCEU to be as inconsistent as you do. It doesn't contradict itself as much as you imply. Batman was around, but the not super visible or well known. And I don't think the costume was what shocked people about Superman. It was the flying alien with laser eyes element. Wonder Woman was probably never known very widely a century ago.

Okay, but you can think Kevin Feige does a bad job and still use that model.  That's like saying that Avatar is a bad movie so movies shouldn't have directors.

I think Suicide Squad implies that Batman is very-well known.  He's not working in the shadows...he's openly driving down a major street in a gigantic Batmobile.  No one is freaking out about it so it must be something that has happened before.  Harley Quinn was arrested, partly, for the murder of Robin.  She's not arrested for "the murder of Jason Todd" - it's Robin.  So Robin must be known by local police.  I mean, heck, Deadshot's daughter moves to protect Batman.  She's a child, and she knows enough about Batman to know that he's a) a man and b) a good guy.  If Batman isn't known, wouldn't she want her father to try and protect her from this creepy Bat monster?

The problem is that Batman is Batman when it serves the story and he's obscure when it serves the story.  When they're making Suicide Squad, they needed someone to say "wait, Clark Kent doesn't even know who Batman is, and he's a reporter in the city across the river.  Shouldn't he be working more in the shadows?"  Instead, the films are filmed completely separately, causing continuity errors across the movies.  So Clark just looks like an idiot for not knowing the vigilante who's been active in Gotham for 15-20 years.

I don't think it was implied that Clark was unaware of Batman. He was just getting more concerned with Batman because Batman has started getting particularly brutal. They didn't talk about Batman in Man of Steel, but there was nothing to contradict Batman. I don't reference World War II every day, but it is still a very big reality. (And there was a subtle hint at Aquaman in MoS, they say)

So yeah, I don't know the whole Batman story in this universe. That is for the Batman movie to tell me. I don't have a problem where it is now.

As for the Marvel model... If we are holding that up as an example of how to make things cohesive and all work together as one machine, I would disagree. I don't see what Feige is doing that is working. Honestly, I'd rather have a bunch of movies that I like individually but have issues working together than have a bunch of movies that don't work separately or together.

Haha, forget about Marvel then.  The model I'm talking about is the "way any large organization works" - which is to say

Guy at the top
                     /          |        \
               Part 1    Part 2    Part 3

Someone needs to be in charge of everything - either deflecting studio interference or making sure the movies follow some sort of cohesive plan.  Otherwise, you go with the "X-Men model" of several movies all contradicting each other.  X-Men, in my opinion, is what can happen when you have too many cooks.  You end up with a collection of odd, incoherent movies that are only tied together by their association with each other.

I don't really care if they tie these movies together.  As far as I'm concerned, they can all be separate movies and then join for a Justice League movie.  The problem is that *they* seem to want to do it as a joined universe, with Flash having two cameos so far and Batman appearing in both Suicide Squad and (allegedly) Wonder Woman.  So as long as they are going to do connections from movie, I'd hope that someone is making sure that there aren't wild contradictions from movie to movie.

That's all I'm saying.

Informant wrote:

I don't think it was implied that Clark was unaware of Batman. He was just getting more concerned with Batman because Batman has started getting particularly brutal.

He calls him "the bat-vigilante in Gotham."  It reminds me of character of Alexander Knox from Batman 89 ("Mr. Dent, I love that tie. We were discussing the pros and cons of winged vigilantes. What's your stand?" and "Lieutenant, is there a six-foot bat in Gotham City?").  The difference is that, in Batman 89, Batman is a myth.  In BvS, Batman has been pretty public for a long time.  Perry White calls him "The Batman" - so people know his name.  Clark seems to understand that Batman is real - he's not a myth in Clark's eyes.

And Clark doesn't mention a change in Batman.  He says "He thinks he's above the law" - not "he's changed.  Now he thinks he's above the law" - Clark is implying that Batman's always thought he was above the law.  Or, at least, Clark's never been a fan of Batman's.

What's crazy is that they'd never run into each other before.  Gotham City is seconds away from Clark.  I think Clark would view Gotham as being part of Metropolis so under his protection.

(I still think it would've been fun to make Clark a fan of Batman and sorta sad to see what he'd become.  I think that could've been a fun way of humanizing Clark).

Right. But we are assuming that this didn't exist with DC movies, when there were probably a number of people involved in making the movies work together. I know you think their system (whatever it was) failed, but I haven't seen any major flaws or continuity errors so far.

Basically what I'm saying is, I don't know what their system is, but there doesn't seem to be a problem so far.

Fair enough. smile

Watched the extended cut of Suicide Squad. Overall, it doesn't change the film. Most of the changes were typical cuts of a line here or a moment there. Some scenes get to breathe a little more, but this isn't like BvS where the cut completely changes the angle of the movie.

The Joker/Harley relationship got a little bit more time. Harley was still the star, but there were some new beats in there.

Better than that was a little more material with Harley getting into the other squad members' heads, showing her psychiatrist background and proving that she isn't just crazy. She had a little bit more depth here.

There was other stuff, but as I said, this isn't like the BvS situation. There is no new storyline. No Slipknot intro, unfortunately. I could swear that the part where the Joker pushes Harley out of the helicopter was slightly different, but I may be misremembering the theatrical version.

I'm very much in the minority on this -- the internet at large takes the view that the SUICIDE SQUAD extensions didn't make much difference -- but I found the theatrical cut really confusing with Deadshot alternatively being a remorseless killer caring only for himself to someone willing to help Rick Flag out, having no idea what Killer Croc brought to the table, no sense of whether Harley Quinn was crazy or capable or what, a really clumsy switch where the mission suddenly shifts from taking out a target to a rescue mission or Flag being totally contemptuous to the Squad and suddenly counting on Deadshot's help. There were too many ambiguities that seemed unintended and a constant sense that a clarifying scene was lost to poor editing.

The extended version's additions smooth out almost all of my issues; Deadshot and Flag make a deal onscreen as opposed to Harley saying they must have off camera; Killer Croc's strength and resilience are established visually; there's a build to the twist in the Squad's mission; Flag tells a story about his feelings for June that mirror Deadshot's feelings for his daughter and Harley gets a full character origin at last via an added flashback with additional scenes to indicate her clinical psychology skills.

The movie would have benefitted from a Slipknot intro (although I understand Ayer saying he felt it was a waste of time) and some explanation of Katana's role, but I found the extended cut a much stronger product than the consistently baffling theatrical version. No one agrees with me on this; however. Those who liked SS feel the extensions make no difference; those who hated SS find they now have more to hate.

Hmmmm....I think that's really it.  I haven't seen either extended version, but if you're right, both movies would've benefited from being released with their "true" versions.  And that's a studio problem.  Snyder made the movie that he wanted, and it was butchered.  Ayer made the movie he wanted, and it was butchered.

That's why I'd like someone to work to protect the integrity of these projects.  Snyder couldn't do it.  Ayer couldn't do it.  Whether you like the movies or not, the Marvel movies are what they are.  You don't have to wait to buy an extended edition of Civil War to understand why Peter is at the airport battle.  You don't have to buy a Black Panther edition because he was edited out of the final film. 

I just think DC suffers from a lack of planning.  They're the studio equivalent of starting to film a script before it's complete.  If you look at Marvel, they have their ducks in a row.  There's a roadmap of what movies are coming, when, and how they'll tie together.  Their "phases" build to something, and they tie together in ways that are easy to understand.

DC's future slate is a mess because their plan is reactionary.  There's Wonder Woman and Justice League.  Aquaman is in preproduction.  Will there be a Flash movie, or are they going to wait to see how Flash goes.  Is the Batman solo film going to happen?  Is there going to be a Man of Steel sequel?  There's now going to be a Black Adam movie - does that go before or after a Shazam movie?  Is there even going to be a Shazam movie?  What about the Deadshot movie?  The Gotham Sirens movie?  Suicide Squad 2?  Where does Justice League 2 fit in?  Green Lantern Corps?  Is Cyborg still getting his own movie?

The problem is that the studio is bothered by everything.  Early returns on Batman made them drastically change that movie.  Early returns on the Suicide Squad trailers caused major re-editing of that movie.  So are future movies going to depend on what movies come out and how they're received?  Is that the correct way to do it?

I agree that BvS was altered in a reactionary way, and it shouldn't have been. People are still complaining about Snyder's work, but his movie was actually really good. To be clear, I did like the theatrical version of BvS, and I could easily fill in a lot of the blanks and connect a lot of the dots on my own. i just think that the extended cut is an easier movie to watch and follow, with less work required by the audience.

I disagree that it's a pattern or a problem with the overall slate. Suicide Squad was not the same problem as BvS. Most of the cuts were the types of cuts that you see with any movie. In my opinion, some of it is worth having in there, but none of it really changed my view of the movie. In fact, when the movie was done, there were maybe two scenes that I could think of that were changed and I had to look up the rest of the differences because I couldn't figure out where the extra 13 minutes were coming from. Obviously, ireactions has a different opinion on that. I guess it's just one of those things that comes down to personal taste.

Extended cuts, unrated cuts, special editions, etc... it's been done with all kinds of movies, for a very long time now. It's a way for the studio to attract DVD sales from people who have already seen the movie. It's not always about restoring the movie to the way it was intended to be seen, or the director's true vision. Sometimes, it's just about finding material that was edited out for whatever reason, but could still serve a purpose. Most of the the Suicide Squad material could have been left out, with no significant change to the movie, in my opinion. but "Two minutes of bonus material!" is not very exciting when they print it on the back of the box.

We can argue the merits of the Marvel strategy again... do you want to? Because Civil War wasn't fit for the screen, nor were most of their movies (count the number of Marvel movies, and then subtract the ones that really shouldn't have been released as we saw them). DC could put out crap because it's on the schedule too, but that doesn't mean that they should. Having a plan isn't the same thing as having a good plan. And being unwilling to alter the plan as you get into the thick of things doesn't make anyone smarter.

But seriously, why do we keep comparing these movies? Is it just because we've been told that there is a big battle between the two universes that are totally different in most ways and aren't even competing for the same audience? Where is this narrative coming from? Are we ever forced to choose between Supernatural or The X-Files? Do we ever have long conversations about which self-righteous Oscar nominated movie should have been more like the other self-righteous Oscar nominated movie (neither of which made anywhere near the profits either the Marvel or DC movies, by the way). What is the point of comparing.

And also... why *was* Spider-Man in the airport battle scene? The stupid kid decided to go and battle people that he knows are good guys, because the guy who is hitting on his disturbingly-hot aunt told him to? It made no sense!

Again, I'm willing to take "quality" off the table as far as Marvel and DC are concerned.  I don't want to compare how they're doing as much as I like *what* they're doing.  They have a plan, and they have a guy in the middle who acts as an intermediary between the studio and the creative side.  You can say that Feige's doing a shit job, but not that he *has* a shit job. 

The only time we've even heard of instability in Marvel projects was Ant-Man, and Ant-Man was a pretty unique situation because it wasn't designed to fit in the Marvel universe.  Wright ended up leaving the project, and Ant-Man still ended up being a fun little movie.  You don't hear about in-fighting and massive re-shoots and editing coups and stuff like that.  They make a movie, and they release it.  No one ever complains that they didn't get to make the movie they wanted, and there's never any special editions or director's cuts to "fix" the theatrical release.  Maybe they just hire the type of people that won't complain or the type of people that know how to tow the company line.  No idea.  But there's been two movies in the DCEU (it's hard to count Man of Steel since it wasn't designed to be anything but its own thing), and the studio has messed with both of them.

You can talk about both those movies being great on their own, and I'm sure there are millions of people who agree with you.  But it sounds like if they'd just released the extended versions of both movies, they'd have been received better.  So it's not Henry Cavill's fault for being a bad actor or Zach Snyder's bad vision or David Ayer's schizophrenic pacing.  It's a studio that desperately wants a powerhouse cinematic universe, and they panic every time someone says anything borderline negative.

If you think WB is playing all their cards correctly....then I just don't have a good response for that smile

Informant wrote:

And also... why *was* Spider-Man in the airport battle scene? The stupid kid decided to go and battle people that he knows are good guys, because the guy who is hitting on his disturbingly-hot aunt told him to? It made no sense!

To be fair, Tony Stark is probably the biggest celebrity in Peter's world, and Peter is naive.  Most of Iron Man's victories are public and big (saving the President, saving a ton of people at the Stark Expo, winning wars overseas between Iron Man and Iron Man 2, etc), while Captain America's victories are more subtle and small-level.  Mostly because Captain America sells himself in the same way as Tony does. 

I look at it, oddly enough, like Superman and Batman.  Tony is essentially Superman to Peter - very open and in the light with big, flashy victories under his belt.  Captain America is essentially Batman - winning a lot of battles in the shadows and his humility comes off as mysterious.  So if Superman came to a 16-year-old hero and said "Batman is out of control - will you help me stop him?" I think most kids would smile

I'd have to disagree. Peter is supposed to be pretty brilliant. The fight between heroes was in no way justified in the movie, and I think it would have served that character better if they had Tony approach him and Peter just laughed at the absurdity of it all. The airport scene was one of the worst action pieces in the MCU, because it is such large-scale nonsense that it is completely absurd.

Captain America isn't really subtle. He would have been in every history book about WWII. Peter would have grown up thinking of this man as THE ultimate American hero. A legend. I don't think he would have easily turned on that. It'd be like someone agreeing to take down Abraham Lincoln. It'd take a bit of 'splaining to wrap someone's mind around that.

See, I don't really know what, if anything, Captain America accomplished in World War II.  The first Cap movie is one of the, if not the number one, weakest movie in the MCU.  To the public, I think he'd have been mostly a cartoon character (and for the most part, he was).  I wonder what, if any, part of his mission against the Red Skull was even publicized.  He participated in both the Battle of New York and the Battle in Sokovia, but he was a minor, street-level player in both of those.  Tony Stark and the Hulk were taking down the big ships, and I'm guessing they would've gotten all the glory.  And if he got any credit at all for what happened in the Winter Soldier, I'm sure he layed low-enough that he wouldn't have gotten a parade for it.

Peter might be brilliant, but he's a kid.  Kids are impressed with flashiness.  Peter is fascinated by technology.  Iron Man would be cool, and Captain America would be lame. That's just the way I'd expect for him to look at it.  Plus, Tony was able to convince adult Peter in the comics - kid Peter wouldn't stand a chance smile

Captain America was a media tool for America in WWII, as far as his first movie goes. Regardless of how many of his actual missions were made public, he was the face of the war effort. It'd be like Peter signing up to go kick Rosie the Riveter's ass. Hell, there are a few high profile people from the 30's or 40's who were huge racists or possibly even Nazi sympathizers, who would still probably make someone hesitate before signing up to try to kill (but not "kill"... but kill) them, based on media spin and name factor alone.

Back to the DC/Marvel thing for a sec... The Marvel movies reshoot things regularly. It is part of the schedule for their films. It is pretty standard for any film, really. That's why I don't get why everyone freaks out when DC does it.

We have also seen comments from Marvel directors. The Iron Man movies in particular had their troubles. Thor's movies had director/actor issues as well.

I would say that despite Marvel having just as much internal strife as DC, there is a clear creative voice directing these decisions whereas DC has only recently chosen its film creative director (Geoff Johns of THE FLASH). Before that, DC's power seemed oddly divided; various Warner Bros. suits coming in and going out, directors who controlled one film but with no say in the franchise. Even now, we have seen nothing from the film division with Geoff Johns' voice as all three films released to this date had all creative decisions made pre-Johns.

I find the DC movies to be a muddy mess. I found Marvel's to be the same for their first run of movies. THE INCREDIBLE HULK was edited down to a taut action movie, but it was disappointingly shallow. But IRON MAN was a critical and commercial hit, setting the stage for a superb run straight to AVENGERS. THOR was good. But IRON MAN II, CAP1 and AVENGERS are two of the most confused movies ever made, constantly blowing its own characters' to set up plot points or characters to be on the team in AVENGERS. There was too much emphasis on selling AVENGERS instead of selling Iron Man, Captain America and even Thor.

Marvel gets ridiculous praise for spending all this time and effort setting up AVENGERS when it diluted the individual movies so badly. But after that, the movies swing upward for me; the struggle to introduce the characters was painful and obnoxious, but once the movies could treat them as old friends we already knew, they took more chances on variations of style. Shane Black's absurdist comedy IRON MAN III is a gulf away from the edgy paranoia of WINTER SOLDIER, the mythic wonder of THOR II, the goofy charm of GUARDIANS, etc..

So, for me, Marvel started out the same way DC is starting; a launch fraught with nervous second guessing and selling The Franchise instead of The Film. Maybe they'll do as well as Marvel did for me once all the characters are established.

Now Affleck is no longer directing the Batman solo film.  All indications seem to be that the movie will still happen, but it's another concerning sign.  I still think the studio is meddling too much.  Affleck and Johns seemed like the perfect group to put together a solo Batman film (which would, I think, be the easiest success to pull off), and Affleck has been the brightest part of the DC universe.  The fact that he's decided to leave makes me think that the studio was meddling too much, or their timeline wasn't right.

Affleck has, in recent weeks, seemed irritated by questioning about the Batman solo film.  He keeps saying he won't do it until it's right, which is the way to do it, but I wonder if the studio got impatient.

I'm not one to defend DC's handling of its films, but it may just be a case where Affleck decided that it was too big a job to star and direct in a film like this. He's done a fine job wearing two hats in other situations, but a Batman film, particularly one that's going to be made in this universe... it's going to be all any director can handle. Or maybe he hates the script and doesn't want to have anything more to do with it than he's contractually obligated to do. Hopefully, that's not the case.

Well, that's the thing...he's still writing the script as far as I can tell.  So if he hates it, it's his fault.  He's mentioned that he wants the script to be perfect so maybe they're green-lighting it before he's satisfied with it, and he doesn't want to fully engage in something that he doesn't fully believe in.

Either way, it's sad because the solo Batman movie was the one I was looking most forward to.  I think Affleck gets the character, and he's become a really great well-rounded filmmaker.  The fact that he won't be involved in every aspect is really discouraging.

I think you're reading way too much into this. Affleck will still be producing, starring and writing the movie. He's not leaving. He is just not directing. Why? Because directing a movie like this will take up a lot of time that Affleck probably doesn't have right now, with his work on making and promoting the Justice League movies, and his work on other projects, which includes producing and acting (possibly some writing, I don't know). He also has young kids and I assume that he wants to see them from time to time.

He's not directing, but he is still very involved in shaping that project. It's not a sign of lack of interest or anything else. Directing is a lot of work that he probably doesn't need to take on if he doesn't have to. This project will only get made if he is happy with the way it's turning out. It wasn't even a part of the original plan.

Even if it's not an indication of anything, Affleck would be the best director since Nolan to direct a superhero film.  Affleck and Wan are significantly superior directors to anyone who's done a (redacted) movie.  Even if it's not a big deal, it's still to the detriment of the movie.  There's a very small chance they'll be able to get a better director.

Maybe, but how many big budget, CG-heavy action movies has Affleck directed? Granted, I haven't seen "I Killed My Lesbian Wife, Hung Her on a Meathook, and Now I Have a Three Picture Deal at Disney", but of the Affleck movies that I have seen, nothing really comes up to that level. It's a very involved process for someone who is used to going out, shooting the scenes and editing them together. Even if they made a stripped down Batman movie that was less CG and more practical stunts, it would probably be pretty involved.

I hear that Joss Whedon is available!

LOL. Just joking. He's insane now.

Well, Nolan made the Dark Knight like it was Heat.  I'd be interested in seeing Batman meets the Town.  The guy who is doing the new Planet of the Apes movie is apparently the front runner.  If Affleck is still involved in every other area, I have confidence that he'll get someone good.

I think Informant's right -- Ben Affleck hasn't quit THE BATMAN since he's still writing the script. He just won't be yelling "Action" or "Cut." (Hey, Informant, in this digital age, do they still yell "Cut and Print"?)

They do. "Print" is just a way for them to say "Mark that one as the best option" at this point, even though they're going to review every take anyway, and possibly cut several together.

There are probably a lot of ways that the process could be modernized and simplified in this day and age.

Pardon my ignorance here, but how do these contracts work?  If someone is signed to direct something, are they able to leave any time before production actually begins?  What about writing? 

My eventual question is this: we know Affleck is under contract to play Batman in X number of films.  And that, at some point, he was signed on to star/write/direct.

If he quit the project (which, I know, he didn't do), would he get paid for all three?  Two of the three?  None? 

(Acknowledging that I'm coming at this as the Resident DC Pessimist)

Because I'm wondering if he stepped down as director because it's the one thing he could step down from?  He can't/won't quit as a star, and he's already basically written the script.  So DC is going to pay him for the script, and you gotta think he's okay with that.  But if he's soured on the project or the process, is this the easiest way out while still maximizing his earnings?

It's hard to say. Some people are offered pay or play contracts where regardless of whether they fulfill their obligations, they are paid for their contract. Some people are paid for their ongoing role in project development as a producer and then receive additional payment during the course of performing additional roles (writer, director, actor). I imagine that even if Affleck isn't directing the script, the director would be a hired gun following Affleck's vision but assuming the burden of labour for that role.

He is still producing, so I'm sure that he will be quite involved with the big picture elements. Each job may have been a separate contract, I'm not sure. They have different unions though, so probably.

Contracts are usually pretty breakable in Hollywood, unless someone gets really pissed.

I'm just hoping Affleck is still heavily involved.

I can't believe I think that, but I do.

478 (edited by Informant 2017-01-31 22:30:03)

“Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.”
-- Ben Affleck

Of all the jobs that he was doing, I think directing was probably the best choice to let go of. He obviously can't not act in the movie. Writing it allows him to get his thoughts across as clearly as possible. Producing gives him a voice in how that vision is presented. Directing is an incredibly important job, but it's demanding as well. He can let go of deciding on camera angles and still have his story told.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38990 … t#/slide/1

SHH says that Affleck didn't write the latest version of the script either.  Read into it what you'd like.

Again, it's nothing really unusual. I might sound like a DC cheerleader by repeating this line so much, but most of this stuff that looks really dire when you write articles about it are pretty standard practice. Most scripts, whether they be film or TV, eventually get looked at and tightened up by another writer. Sometimes those changes are used, sometimes not.

This is the guy who worked on the Justice League. Maybe he was going through it to make sure that everything flowed well enough. Maybe there were scenes that weren't quite what they needed to be. Who knows? A draft doesn't need to be a complete overhaul. It's just the latest pass... And there will even be revisions during filming. Possibly even after filming.

Now, if this were a page one rewrite after Affleck stepped down as director, it might look a little worse (though I imagine that any new director will make changes). But they had someone who is already part of their DCEU look over the script. Happens every day on TV shows.

So much press has been given to the fact that Affleck is working on writing the script that it will be turned into a circus if anyone else's name is added to the script. I find that odd.