Re: Arrow / The Flash / Supergirl by Informant

I've actually never had bad food there.  They also have endless pizza on Tuesdays (?) which is pretty good. 

Most of them also have a bar area where you can sit back and complain why Batman killed all those people big_smile

Two things about this week's Flash.

1. Seems like Flash wasted a pretty cool character from the comics.  https://www.inverse.com/article/14895-h … -have-been

2. AGAIN, they waste an opportunity to work with Team Arrow.  I know they call Felicity about the dwarfstar material, but Barry has zero powers, and they don't make any mention of asking Oliver for backup.  I know Oliver just lost Laurel, but it would've been the perfect opportunity to call Oliver and the perfect excuse for him to not show up.  Not only would Ollie be able to help protect Central City with no Flash and aid in the rescue, but Barry would also need training to fight as a "normal" person if he's really gonna be the Flash without his Flash powers.

I know I should just let Flash be Flash and not worry about the Arrowverse, but the fact that Oliver is out there.  And those teams not being in contact, when it puts people in danger to not be in contact, is just irresponsible and takes me out of the story.

I agree about wasting Griffin. That is a shame.

I'm not sure where the shows are in relation to each other right now. It's no spoiler that Barry has his speed on the day of Laurel's funeral. So is The Flash currently taking place when Laurel is alive? Or is it taking place in Arrow's future?

Either way, Rip Hunter obviously doesn't return his team to the time they left and now Sara's sister is dead. After all they just did to save their younger selves and their loved ones... Way to go, Rip.

So, about last night's Arrow episode, I have a question.

The character that Madison McLaughlin plays has been spoken of as this big deal by the producers. There was this whole mystery surrounding her and the producers said that no show had ever done anything like this before.

Having seen her on the show, I have no idea what they were talking about. What was so unheard of? I'm confused.

Informant wrote:

I'm not sure where the shows are in relation to each other right now. It's no spoiler that Barry has his speed on the day of Laurel's funeral. So is The Flash currently taking place when Laurel is alive? Or is it taking place in Arrow's future?

That's a really good question.  Did the Supergirl episode take place in that brief part where Barry asks "how long was I gone?" the week before?  That's the time he wore that device he was wearing in the Supergirl episode. 

I always go on the assumption that Flash and Arrow are always at the exact same time they are.  Occasionally, they might be happening at the same time each week, but I assume Laurel died a couple/few weeks ago on Flash.  If Laurel isn't dead on Flash, then it's even more irresponsible not to call Oliver.

I haven't watched last night's Arrow yet so I can't comment on whatever you wrote there smile

Question: is it time for Grant Gustin to put on a little bit of muscle? He is playing a superhero whose body heals at a rapid rate. That means that Barry should put on muscle pretty easily. Obviously, he shouldn't be as bulky as Oliver, but shouldn't he have some muscle? He looks very skinny/scrawny at times.

Question 2: how funny would it be if next season's Arrow flashbacks revolved around Laurel and something she experienced while Oliver was missing?

Informant wrote:

So, about last night's Arrow episode, I have a question.

The character that Madison McLaughlin plays has been spoken of as this big deal by the producers. There was this whole mystery surrounding her and the producers said that no show had ever done anything like this before.

Having seen her on the show, I have no idea what they were talking about. What was so unheard of? I'm confused.

I'd have to read the exact quote to understand - the mystery was probably just so they didn't know she was playing a fake Black Canary to preserve the Laurel death.

But something no show has ever done before?  I can't even imagine what that would be.

And after watching Arrow, I have no idea when it takes place during the Flash.  It's definitely not concurrent.  I'm guessing it happened before Barry lost his speed.

Here is one article. I think I  saw others that were similar, but they all get jumbled after a while.

http://tvline.com/2016/04/27/arrow-seas … ck-canary/

My theory about The Flash is that it takes place at the same time, and it is just another example of why the flash forward story was a bad idea. When you do that, you have to know exactly how it all lines up (like with Lost) or else it doesn't work. This week, we saw those scenes play out in context, but they still didn't feel like they fit. Felicity's emotional state didn't fit. Conversations felt wrong. And obviously, Barry had his speed.

My theory is that the ARROW producers messed up. They filmed the graveyard scenes in when filming the premiere having no knowledge that (a) Barry would lose his speed (b) Oliver would be enduring a betrayal on the team (c) Oliver was dealing with his engagement being called off or (d) who the hell was actually dead.

As a result, when this episode came, they reused the premiere footage and script pages despite the fact that their flash forwards no longer fit the present situation. The simplest solution would have been to reshoot or re-edit Grant Gustin's appearance so that he's seen to walk off camera without indicating whether or not he super-sped away -- there'd still be a continuity error in the premiere, but it at least wouldn't be a reminder.

The flash forwards very much don't fit with the actual context that we're given -- a serious problem resulting from flash forwards done without any idea of what that context will be. The flash forwards have Oliver and Felicity shattered by whatever happened -- vengeful, angry and broken. But what we saw this week was that Diggle was the only one in that state; if anything, Laurel's death has made Oliver and Felicity clear and focused on Laurel's legacy and determined not to sink to the level of their enemies. The flash forwards had Felicity and Oliver vowing bloodsoaked revenge; but the actual present-day episode is completely at odds with that; Laurel's death has made them recommit to the Black Canary's legacy of justice, not vengeance. These are two completely opposing reactions and they don't fit together at all.

As loath as I am towards retcons to repair sloppiness, it would have been best to refilm the flash-forwards so that Oliver and Felicity declaring Damien must die is simply a pragmatic wish to prevent more loss rather than lashing out due to Laurel's death. And Laurel's death is really the team's fault. They had the source of Damien's power RECONSTRUCTED and RESIDING IN AN INSECURE LOCATION KNOWN TO THEIR ENEMIES OH MY GOD HOW DUMB IS THAT?!!?!?!?!?!?

Informant wrote:

Here is one article. I think I  saw others that were similar, but they all get jumbled after a while.

http://tvline.com/2016/04/27/arrow-seas … ck-canary/

Hmmm.  Well the only thing I can think of is that we still don't know enough about the character.  How was she able to use Laurel's device when it was coded to Laurel's vocal cords?  I was thinking it'd be some sort of clone at first.  Was that ever answered?

And I agree with both of you - the writers messed up and then boxed themselves into a corner.  And I guess they sided with continuity over consistency.  Which is disappointing - I want to believe that these guys have a plan, and this works against that.

So I wanted to make a new post for this because it's something that has been bothering me for the last couple of days.  One of the cool things that DC is doing vs. Marvel in respect to TV vs. Movies is the idea of a multiverse.  Agents of Shield and Avengers takes place in the same universe - on the same Earth.  So while Coulson and May are punching Hydra members, Tony Stark could be across town eating a club sandwich. 

In DC, they just said that it all takes place separately.  Clearly the CW stuff crosses over, but this year confirmed that Supergirl is a different universe.  The film universe is its own thing, and Supergirl confirmed that by saying that Barry Allen didn't exist in that universe (when he exists in BvS).

Here's the thing.  Barry Allen exists in three of the four universes we know exist.  In two of them, he looks like Grant Gustin, but in one of them he looks like Ezra Miller.  I know it's fun to have Gustin and company play alternate versions of themselves, but what if they'd decided to play it totally different and have everyone look different on every world?  I've talked about this in sliders conversations, but human conception is the ultimate spin of alternate world roulette wheel.  If a multiverse is real, there's a great chance that someone exists with my name, but there's a very remote chance the he looks exactly like me.  Parents pick names before the birth all the time, but so many variables could affect how someone looks.

Now maybe Earth-2 is just very close to the Arrowverse.  We know the Supergirlverse is a lot different.  And that the movieverse is even different.  I just wonder if the show missed a chance to really explain the whole "Barry is different in the movies than he is on TV" thing.

I don't think the DC cinematic universe is considered to be on the same multidimensional axis (as Smarter-Quinn might put it) as SUPERGIRL and the CW shows. I don't think Barry's tachyon accelerator could take him to the Snyder films' universe -- at least not in terms of the storytelling logic set up so far. When we saw flashes of other dimensions, we saw Melissa Benoist's SUPERGIRL and we saw the 90s FLASH TV series in which Barry Allen looks like John Wesley Shipp -- but that makes TV sense in that Barry in the 90s show was older and would look like the CW Flash's father -- who is also played by John Wesley Shipp. Also, we've met Tina McGee in the CW universe, who was also a character on the 90s FLASH show and also played by the same actress, Amanda Pays. The Trickster, played by Mark Hamill in the 90s show, is again played by the same actor in the CW show.

The CW series is set in a parallel version of the 90s universe in which Barry was born at a later date in time for some undisclosed reason. Either this is a parallel universe where Henry and Nora Allen conceived Barry at a later point in their lives, or the cross temporal battles between Eobard Thawne and Barry Allen altered the 90s FLASH timeline into the CW FLASH timeline. This was done partially in tribute to the 90s show (which the FLASH showrunners really like) and partially due to their casting choices; I wouldn't say they conceived the show as an alternate timeline for the previous show, but it's what they ended up making. The only discontinuity is that Iris West's one episode of the previous FLASH show had her played by Paula Marshall who obviously isn't an older or younger version of Candice Patton.

It's a bit like Temporal Flux's idea for rebooting SLIDERS where the original characters discover sliding at a later date in life. And it's a bit like Matt Hutaff's idea for rebooting SLIDERS -- where a cosmic cataclysm altered reality in a way that delayed the inciting incident of the series.

Alternatively -- the Ezra Miller version of the Flash had a different mother or father and it, like Robert Floyd's Mallory, actually a brother of the earlier version of the character but with the same name.

All very interesting ideas. I think the official DC/Warner Bros stance is that the TV shows and movies are part of the same multiverse. They will probably never come together (though that would be an EPIC move on the studio's part) but they like to wink at the thought of a Crisis event somewhere down the line.

I think that the idea of many actors playing one character's doubles would be interesting, but it might be impractical on screen. We look at Grant and see Barry. If you have ten actors all playing a character with the same name, it just becomes different characters turning their head when someone calls that name

Another element of the flash forward that didn't work was the decision to keep the target of Oliver's hatred a mystery. We all thought it was Damien, but the writers didn't commit to that because they wanted options. The scene meant absolutely nothing, because not one word had purpose. It is really frustrating.

215 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2016-04-29 14:39:12)

Informant wrote:

I think that the idea of many actors playing one character's doubles would be interesting, but it might be impractical on screen. We look at Grant and see Barry. If you have ten actors all playing a character with the same name, it just becomes different characters turning their head when someone calls that name.

Oh, absolutely.  And, again, half the fun of parallel universes on TV (be it Sliders, Flash, Fringe, etc) is having different versions of characters played by the same actor.  Seeing a meek and geeky Grant Gustin is fun because we know Barry as being fun and confident.  Same with the other actors.  There's less of a point to having Caitlin be Killer Frost if it's just another actress named Caitlin Snow playing her.

And if ireactions is right about the Snyderverse and the Arrowverse being in different multiverses, then it makes that whole point moot and the Arrowverse would function like Sliders where doubles are identical for whatever reason.

I just picture dialogue like this happening.

BARRY (weary from a fight with Zoom) - Who the Hell was that?

HARRISON WELLS (played by Robert Floyd) - That was Zoom.

CISCO - Whoa.  Who are you, pal?  How did you get passed our security?

HARRISON - I designed it.  I'm Harrison Wells.

BARRY - That's impossible.

HARRISON - I'm Harrison Wells from a parallel Earth.  The same Earth that Zoom is from.

CISCO - But you look nothing like Harrison Wells.

HARRISON - I'm from an entirely parallel Earth based on an infinite number of parallel choices.  You think I'd look exactly like your Harrison Wells?

CISCO (embarrassed and sad) - Yeah.  Kinda.  I guess.

HARRISON - You know how many sperm -

CAITLIN (cutting HARRISON off) - Alright. We're all smart enough to know how that works.  Let's just move on.

I think there is some cool "choice vs. destiny" commentary in the idea that we are fated to exist, but everything that follows is based on our choices. That, yes, every version of Barry Allen is the same person, genetically speaking, but could be entirely different based on experience and choice.

But there is still the oddball world where he doesn't exist (Supergirl's world) or where some other person got his name and life (like the alternate version of Smallville where Jonathan and Martha adopted a human baby and named him Clark).

Maybe the Ezra Miller Barry Allen is from a world where Barry's mother became pregnant with twins, only one did not survive to birth. Grant's Barry would have existed there, but he didn't survive.

I had an exchange for SLIDERS REBORN that I could never find a place to use.

ARTURO: "Ms. Welles! Contact Mr. Calhoun, see if he's familiar with this individual."
WADE: "Which Gomez Calhoun? The TV addicted one or the overparented one?"
ARTURO: "The overparented one. The adopted one left the city to flee his mother again."

I never found a place where the sliders needed to deal with motels, so it never came up.

Is it weird that Legends of Tomorrow opted for an all-CGI (weird looking) giant Ray Palmer as opposed to just using perspective to make him look giant?  It was a cool idea - I just thought his "growing" scene looked really weird, and they could've achieved the same look without resorting to CGI.

Maybe, but the robot that he was fighting was all CG, and couldn't be done quite the same way with a real person in a costume (I really liked the fact that we could see inside it).

The fight didn't look too bad to me. Obviously CG, but really no worse than most movies these days. If they'd had more time, maybe they could have made the movement look more real and heavy.

Informant wrote:

Maybe, but the robot that he was fighting was all CG, and couldn't be done quite the same way with a real person in a costume (I really liked the fact that we could see inside it).

The fight didn't look too bad to me. Obviously CG, but really no worse than most movies these days. If they'd had more time, maybe they could have made the movement look more real and heavy.

I think the fight itself was fine - I didn't want a Godzilla type fight.  I'm just talking about the "growing" scene.  In the fight, you usually couldn't see Ray's face.  In the growing scene, his face was front and center, and it looked like one of those movies like Polar Express.  I was watching on a smaller non-HD TV, and it still looked horrible.  I was just wondering why they decided to use CG there.

Yeah, that part was weird. For a second, I thought that his growing head was going to pop through the helmet or something smile

Some light being shed on why Supergirl hadn't been renewed yet:

https://www.thewrap.com/supergirl-renew … exclusive/

CBS is paying 3 million *per episode* just for the license fee to have the show?!  That's before they pay a dime toward actually making the show.  Yikes.   In today's terms, you could probably make two episodes of Sliders just off that license fee.

Interesting.  I'd like to see the show moved to the CW, but I also worry about how that would affect the show and its budget.  I also wonder what would happen if the move happened - would Kara stay in her own universe, or would she somehow be brought into Earth-1?  Because I imagine there'd be more crossovers, but Barry is the only one who can actually cross over (literally) to her show.

That is a lot of money, for something that really, really isn't worth it. A CW move would be incredibly messy. With Barry, Constantine and Vibe, amongst others, I think a crossover would be easy enough. And plot-wise, cutting the Supergirl budget could be a good thing (get rid of Hank, the DEO, and Jimmy. Calista may not be interested in being on the CW too). Hell, having Kara and a couple of her friends get thrown onto Earth-1 could be the perfect setup. She would even be on a world where Superman doesn't exist.

But I don't know that the move is realistic. The CW would have to want another superhero show. But do they? Most of their shows from this year have been renewed. Where would Supergirl even air?

Well, having cost-assessed BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN as basically letting WB break even, the same perspective applied to SUPERGIRL yields an even worse result. SUPERGIRL's ratings don't justify a $3 million per episode licensing fee. WB either needs to reduce the fee (as they did for CHUCK) to offset the lower revenue in advertising or the show needs a lower budget -- and I don't know if it's even possible. Berlanti has said outright that SUPERGIRL can't be done on a CW budget; the show uses lavish wire rig effects and detailed location filming and intricate fight scenes that require just as much practical work as well as CG. I don't see where costs could be cut; the show is already struggling to render Supergirl. There's a reason why Clark rarely flew or had extensive superfights on SMALLVILLE.

Creatively, I think SUPERGIRL tried to cast too wide a net. As a family show, the content was fine, but the contradictory approach to Kara and her world (she's an adolescent adult who's a glorified intern as a highly placed espionage officer) resulted in a version of Supergirl who wasn't one or the other or much of anything. The result was a character and a show that was internally opposed to each facet of itself and the final product was confusing despite the accessible nature of the stories. I'd like to see a second season, but I really could not blame CBS if they simply couldn't afford it.

Deadline has put up a more in-depth article on Supergirl's renewal issues:

http://deadline.com/2016/05/supergirl-s … 201750208/

They were expecting a California tax credit, and the credit was denied.   As a result, they produced in California for zero financial benefit when they could have been in Vancouver getting a tax credit there.  That's where the talk of moving the show to Vancouver has come from.

If Supergirl survives through a move to Vancouver, I'm betting on a significant retooling that will probably shed some cast.  There would also likely be some cast or recurring additions because you only get that Canadian tax credit if you use a certain percentage of Canadian actors in your production (not necessarily main cast).

The question is whether they will pull a Sliders season two and try to ignore or gloss over the season one cliffhanger so they can just dump Supergirl and a couple of her cast into the Arrowverse.  Kicking Supergirl out of her universe with no way home would be the quickest and cleanest way to explain all the missing cast (especially the likely event that Calista Flockhart would not be interested in going to Vancouver - she's too big of a character to ignore unless you did a "stranded away from home" approach for Kara).

Well, my question would be whether or not they'd still set the show in National City.  National City is clearly Los Angeles which is clearly not Vancouver.

If its me, I don't think it's a huge deal to get rid of some people.  If they send Kara off to the Arrowverse or another city, I think the show could do some good.  I don't really know who the show *needs* to get rid of, but a smaller, more intimate cast could probably do the show some good.

The thing that annoys me is that there are plenty of other incentives to get around the country. It doesn't need to be LA or Vancouver anymore. I would love to see some new scenery. But that would make it harder to do crossovers.

I wonder if the Flash crossover was done to get ratings, or to establish a multiverse for this type of situation

Well, FRINGE seemed to transition from New York City to Vancouver reasonably well. Certainly, the show will *look* a little different, but modern colour correction and lighting advances by leaps and bounds with every day; in this day and age, Season 3 of SLIDERS could have looked more like Vancouver.  But personally, I too, would like to see SUPERGIRL moved to wherever Informant does his extra work and then he could be our inside man on the show.

I'd love if Supergirl filmed in Dallas.  The only regret about my trip to Vancouver last December was that I *COMPLETELY FORGOT* that they filmed all these shows there.  I could've watched Flash film about six blocks from my hotel on the night I had nothing planned.  I'd absolutely go watch filming of a show.

Unfortunately, Texas has cut their incentives program. We have fewer shows now, but every once in a while, they really go out of their way to woo a show.

As much fun as it would be to work on it, I doubt they'd pick Dallas. Still, there are a lot of cities that would look and feel unique, and we always see the same three cities used on TV. It gets old.

Wherever they move, they should embrace it. If they try to pretend that everything is the same for Kara, it will be more awkward.

Wait, I just realized something....how are people supposed to binge watch the Arrowverse?  Honestly.  Netflix has Arrow and Flash, and I assume it will have Legends of Tomorrow once next season is up.

But it has to be watched in the order it aired - individually - or entire parts aren't going to make sense.  Or, just as bad, things are going to be spoiled.  And I don't just mean the crossover specials where the plot of Flash is resolved on Arrow.  But there are clear spoilers for Flash and Arrow on Legends of Tomorrow.  If you don't watch the three shows one episode at a time in the order they aired, I really don't think the shows will make their intended amount of sense.

And I don't think anyone would think to do that.

This is why I stopped reading comic books. smile

With comic books -- well, I was recently reading WITCHBLADE, THE DARKNESS and its assorted crossover mini-serieses which include FIRST BORN and ARTIFACTS as well as its spin-offs, ANGELUS and the ongoing ARTIFACTS. I would read WITCHBLADE until the ads or the letters page informed me that there was a crossover. Then I would switch to reading THE DARKNESS and read until I was synced up with WITCHBLADE. Then I'd read the crossovers, then move back to reading WITCHBLADE until I hit the next crossover at which point I'd double back and continue with THE DARKNESS until arriving at the crossover again. Sometimes, I didn't read things in the right order but would only realize halfway in and I would start over again at the crossover point and get it right this time.

Well the problem with the Arrowverse is that it isn't synced up.  You'd need to watch the first two seasons of Arrow, then start alternating between Arrow and Flash.  Then halfway through season 4 of Arrow and season 2 of Flash, you'd need to start working Legends of Tomorrow in.  Because, again, you'd get spoilers for each of the shows if you don't do it that way.

And I don't know if there's a great roadmap to do that except to just look up original airdates.  And I don't know anyone who'd be interested in doing that.

It's easily done when you're watching in real time, and there's not so many connections that they can't be viewed individually.  But if I was Greg Berlanti, I might have Netflix offer an "Arrowverse" binge where you watch in the correct timeline order.

Of course, even watching by airdate wouldn't necessarily work as we've seen that Arrow and Flash aren't even synced up now.

I don't know what the filming schedule was like, compared to Arrow's. Does anyone know if Savage's comment about Laurel was supposed to reference her death, or was he just randomly threatening family members again?

It is weird to me that nobody on The Flash has reacted to her death. Obviously, they will reference it at some point, but it is still weird. A part of their extended team died. When Buffy died, Willow showed up on Angel to tell people.

If Caitlin was being held hostage, Barry was powerless, Zoom was on the loose and the city was vulnerable, it would have been the perfect time to drop that bomb. One more thing to add to the list, driving Barry or even Cisco to lose it for a minute. But of course, Barry being powerless would kill that continuity. Man, what a mess.

1. I did think the reference to Laurel was supposed to be about her death.  I thought I read that it'd be referenced on LoT, but I don't think that was it. 

2. I think Flash is behind, but again, there needs to be more communication between the teams.  I don't think there's any reason, especially if Flash is *behind* Arrow, for them not to have called Team Arrow to help while Barry is powerless.  I know they want to handle it, but it's horribly irresponsible to not at least call.

I was thinking the same thing about Diggle, not calling Barry or any of the other people they know, when Andy was hunting them. I mean, his baby was in danger!

Maybe I will assume that he tried, bit it wasn't an option.

Well, I know they can't have help every week, but they should at least be talking about it.  I mean even name-dropping Roy as an option is something they should be doing.

It's just weird when Barry is running around with no powers and Team Arrow is going on vacation the same week.  I know they aren't synced but it's still weird.

I'm sorta tired of the openings to the Berlanti shows.  Do we really need to be reminded who the main character(s) is/are in all these shows?

It is part of the comic books. The thing with TV is, it takes up valuable minutes that could be better spent watching Felicity cry about her relationship with Oliver... On second thought, let's keep the openings. smile

I'm seeing more and more articles about the decline of Arrow. I wonder if the writers will actually pay attention to this and reevaluate their work, or if they will continue to exist in their own little bubble, where they cling onto one group of internet fanatics and go out of their way to write to that one specific group.

If they don't make things better, next year is a natural ending point for the series. The end of the flashbacks.

Or they just start doing flash forward every episode! I mean, they flashed forward twice this season and it worked out awesome!

It's official. Supergirl is headed to the CW next year. Don't ask me where they will have time on the schedule. Maybe they will go half a season and then swap with Legends?

Well, I'm sure CW will cancel something.  They could pair it with Flash or pair it with Legends. 

It almost certainly means Calista Flockhart is gone.  In fact, most of the cast seems sorta "LA" and I don't know if if they'll make the move either.  Or if the cast will be able to afford to move them.

Like we've been saying, a cast pruning and a soft reboot might not be the worst thing in the world.

Given the Vancouver move, I'm betting this will be basically a new Supergirl series.  They won't be transporting many (if any) existing sets; not all of the actors will transition; may not even keep some of the writers and producers depending on if they were LA residents who don't want to move.

It will be interesting to see how they handle it, but I don't see them keeping it separate from the Arrowverse any longer; and the easiest fix for the entire thing would be to strand Kara in the Arrowverse away from her friends, family and life.  Could actually be an interesting turn to give new life and direction to the series if they handle it right.

One interesting way to handle it would be Rip Hunter finding Supergirl floating unconscious in the time stream.  They could actually use her on Legends first and then make her second season basically a spin off of Legends.  Supergirl season two could then explore how she ended up floating out there.

I'm sure they'll be able to get most of the cast for guest appearances if they need to (Calista basically did the show as a favor anyway) but yeah, they should just throw Kara into the Arrow universe, which will only help the show. Having her exist in a world with Clark but without showing Clark just didn't work.

They will probably want to keep as many as possible, but I don't think that Calista will go for good. Chyler has a young family, so she is out. Mehcad... I don't know. Jeremy is a New York actor anyway, right? So he might go. David, I don't know. But even of he leaves, Martian Manhunter could go. I just don't think that two alien superheroes are needed on the show.

So, they could just make her a stranded alien from another world again, or they could send her to the future, to work with the Legion.

The writers could remain the same, since they all work from LA anyway. I always thought that writers should live closer to their shows, so they know the area that they're writing for. But that will probably never happen.

I would prefer to see SUPERGIRL continue as it has, albeit with fine-tuning the series a bit so that its contradictory elements aren't so contradictory. The massive budget cut that will result from shifting to the CW network? I'd handle that by having at least one-third of the season be Supergirl-light episodes in the way Superman was usually a cameo role on LOIS AND CLARK. Nothing wrong with focusing on Kara Danvers instead of Kara Zor-El for a few weeks at a time.

As for the problem of the DEO and CATCO being two separate and contradictory entities -- I'd merge the two where the DEO starts using CATCO as a cover for its operations and none of the CATCO employees notice that their workplace has been unknowingly re-purposed into an information center for spies. I'd shift Winn into working at the DEO full-time and put Jimmy in a CATCO outpost in the city as a crime reporter, and have him supporting Kara in the Supergirl-lite stories while Winn and Alex feature heavily in the Supergirl-centric adventures. This would also allow for hiring the the supporting actors for 13 episodes a year instead of the full 22 the way SMALLVILLE would handle cast.

If Mehcad Brooks has to leave, send him back to Metropolis and have him return occasionally as a guest-star. If Callista Flockhart can't stay on full time, I'd like her to be running her empire from afar and to be a constant voiceover/cell phone presence -- maybe she's just globe-trotting but literally phoning in her work. If Jeremy Jordan doesn't stay, have him hired by the DEO on a secret mission. If Chyler Leigh can't be retained, have her searching for Dean Cain offscreen. If David Harewood doesn't make the jump to LA... well, he's the god-damn Martian Manhunter; he can have a different face.

But yeah, I guess you could have Supergirl fall into the ARROWverse as well.

The problem with Kara just falling into the Arrowverse is the fact that Barry already did that, and they got him back in the course of an episode.  Now, oddly enough, they could go the Sliders route where Kara is transported but can't find her way home.  So she stays in the Arrowverse until they can find a way to send her back to *her* Earth.

One thing they could do is have Barry go get her for help and then not be able to bring her back.  It could be a background story on Flash, allowing for Barry and Kara to have crossovers (since they're great together).

But she'd definitely want to go home, and just stranding her on a parallel universe isn't the best way to start a show.  I mean, I guess Harry and Jessie are doing it, but at least they have each other.  Now I guess it could be Kara and someone else from her show so she's not too upset about it, but it'd still be odd.

249 (edited by Informant 2016-05-13 08:33:16)

Shocking twist on Legends, and for Wentworth Miller. Spoilers below.
So, Snart sacrificed himself for the team. But the way he did it left the door open for his return. It is now being reported that while Miller will not be a regular on Legends next year, he has signed on as a regular across all of the DC/Berlanti shows. So he will be on Legends, The Flash and maybe even Arrow and Supergirl.

They say this is the first time that a contract like this has happened. I wonder how his name will appear in the credits.

Probably use something like they did with John Rhys-Davies on Sliders and Michael Shanks on Stargate; there will be some kind of minor adjustment to make the name stand out such as "and featuring Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold".  It's really not as important with the Berlanti shows, though - there are no opening credits.

As for Legends, I still think we're going to get a kind of reset button next week.  The characters on the Waverider will probably become a paradox that exist outside of time or something.  As a result, their original selves before the time trip will still exist in present day as though nothing happened, but the Waverider crew will go on as characters with no home to go back to because there's a version of them already filling that space.  It would help explain why they stay stuck with Rip instead of going back home once Savage is dead.