Topic: Bboard technical concerns and updates

Hi, everyone! Sorry for the service outage! Our former host, Hosting Check, had a service failure that not only took us offline but corrupted our Bboard database. On the advice of a professional web developer, we have transitioned to Dreamhost. The previous Bboard remains visible here as a read-only archive, but due to the database corruption, new posts cannot be made there. To register, please  E-mail ireactions (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll create a new account with a temporary password for you.

Sorry again for the issues. Rest assured that Dreamhost is reliable, stable and that this is a new dawn of Bboard stability.

Re: Bboard technical concerns and updates

Welcome back! I missed this place. Good host choice, we use them for the podcast ourselves.

Hey hey!

Glad this place is running again as I've missed it. smile

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

Thanks! I was worried (again) that this board was gone forever. This is the the 3rd board I've been a part of!

Question, how do I change my user name? I tried re-registering and it won't let me. Sorry I messed it up when I initially registered, and it made my user name my e-mail.

Whoever was able to fix that issue for me.... Thanks!

Thank me by posting lots and lots!

Will do! Thanks again!

Good to see the place back online!

Ex-member

You're a hard man to reach!

ireactions wrote:

You're a hard man to reach!

Sorry about that. I've been out of town with little Internet time and/or access most of the last month.

Ex-member

Where it says you must login or register at the top, the words "register" and "login" don't come up as links. They do at the bottom of the main page though. Anyone else have this issue?

Register and Login appear in the coloured bar -- the third line of text from the top of the page.

Okay, I didn't notice that. I was only looking at the first line at the top left where it says "you are not logged in. Please login or register."

I miss Brand_S. And WrongArturo. And rafproductions. I've done my part in bringing the Bboard back! You people bring them back!

Okay, on the "sliders questions" required to post - are they cap sensitive?  I feel like when I answer a "proper name" question, I have to answer another one, but when I answer an "object" question, it goes straight through.  Should I be answering "wade" instead of "Wade"?

The answers are not case sensitive.

Did this really worry you?

19 (edited by tom.holste 2015-08-04 10:09:55)

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'm glad to see that the forum is alive and well!

(Note: I was formerly known as Wrong Arturo.)

20 (edited by omnimercurial 2015-08-05 05:45:24)

tom.holste wrote:

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'm glad to see that the forum is alive and well!

(Note: I was formerly known as Wrong Arturo.)

Good to see you back!

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

Earth Prime is down due to an error with the database connection. Hopefully Matt is are just migrating stuff to a new server.

Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. Earth Prime? Server? I have never heard of this Earth Prime site you describe, nor does the Internet Archive have any record of such a site. Was this a SLIDERS site of some kind? As far as I know, the only SLIDERS resource sites of significance are the Wikia and the Dimension of Continuity.

Looks like we're back up!

Only because you pointed it out here - thanks! smile

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

You know what I found freaky? When the site went down, it was no longer visible on the Internet Archive either! I spent the day thinking I'd only ever imagined EP.COM.

26 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-01-03 17:14:46)

Anyone else getting an error on EP.com?

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.4.16 (Unix) OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_fcgid/2.3.9 Server at www.earthprime.com Port 80

Matt is switching to a new host.

To be more specific, the site was "switched off" by my host because it was getting an erratic amount of resource usage. I cannot even access the folder containing all the themes/media to download it.

Once I do, I will transfer the site to the new host and cut the cord on the old one. Scrambling to migrate your entire digital presence from one place to the next is a GOOD way to ring in the new year! sad

Transmodiar wrote:

To be more specific, the site was "switched off" by my host because it was getting an erratic amount of resource usage. I cannot even access the folder containing all the themes/media to download it.

Once I do, I will transfer the site to the new host and cut the cord on the old one. Scrambling to migrate your entire digital presence from one place to the next is a GOOD way to ring in the new year! sad

Thanks for everything you do with the site.

While I have you, can I ask, at one point I believe the comics were all available for download. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20110903064 … omics.html

On the current site, it lists each of the comics available for download in CBR format, but only some of them are actually linked.  Was that intentional on your part, or were you not aware?

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

Thanks for everything you do with the site.

While I have you, can I ask, at one point I believe the comics were all available for download. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20110903064 … omics.html

On the current site, it lists each of the comics available for download in CBR format, but only some of them are actually linked.  Was that intentional on your part, or were you not aware?

Okay, it looks like it's back up. Feel free to stress test it and let me know if you find anything wrong.

No, it was not intentional to selectively remove issues of the comics, but I don't have time to re-scan and re-compile them for upload. If someone wants to do that, I'll gladly host them and thank them for their time. smile

I have the comics. I'll restore them near the end of the week when I have some time.

Thanks guys. 

Matt, I'll definitely poke around EP.com to see everything looks good as soon as I get a chance.

Poked around EP a bit, didn't see any problems.

Comics re-uploaded. I lost my copies too, strangely. Ended up having to search some dark corners to find them.

Hi I was once known as Professor Gimli on this board....been years since I checked in.  I'm Slider_Quinn21's Biggest Fan and possibly Slidemania's worst critic. 

Anyway concerning this post I just wanna say that while I don't go into Deviant Art that much these days one person had an interesting Idea that would have put Quinn in the "Professor" role in his imagined "SLIDERS The Next Generation" scenario. 

And if such a thing happened as a continuation in our time,  I'm sure someone out there would have had a clever way and reason to split Robert Floyd from Jerry O'Connel. 

PS:  Hey Slider_Quinn21  If I gave your Season 6 & 7 some minor grammar fixes and some theme openings for Earth 214, perhaps a better reason for Quinn to be mean with Maggie and some other stuff do you think you could add it to your 214 Site?

Bah! Earth214 is over! It's had its time! All the action is over at SLIDERS REBORN now! Earth214 is a dinosaur!

No, I'm just kidding. Earth214 is a charming piece of work, but it was written by a teenager. SLIDERS REBORN is written by an adult who thinks like a teenager. When reading Earth214, I felt that the writing was terrible but the underlying concept, intentions, plots, ideas and overall direction were very well thought out -- it's just that the ability to deliver all that in an engaging, convincing and stirring format wasn't quite there yet. It's like Slider_Quinn21 had the raw talent but needed a few more English classes and maybe some screenwriting software. SQ21 says he's done with 214, but I still maintain that going through and rewriting it -- not the story, but the language and descriptions and dialogue -- would turn it from a charming artifact of youth into something very strong. Earth214 is like a very rough statue that just needs a few more sessions to finish chiseling it into something spectacular.

maxcardun wrote:

PS:  Hey Slider_Quinn21  If I gave your Season 6 & 7 some minor grammar fixes and some theme openings for Earth 214, perhaps a better reason for Quinn to be mean with Maggie and some other stuff do you think you could add it to your 214 Site?

Ah, yikes, I didn't even know this was here.

And I think it's awesome that you've read E214 and had enough interest to think about alternate reasons.  That's freakin' awesome.  I'm surprised it's still out there - I wrote that as a teenager a really long time ago, and there are parts of it that really make me cringe.  But there's also a ton I'm really proud of.

The short answer to that question is no, simply because I don't have access to the site.  Blinker is who always updated the site, and I don't know where he is.

If you want to email me, I'd be happy to talk with you about your changes.  Again, I'd love to hear what you have to think.

ireactions wrote:

No, I'm just kidding. Earth214 is a charming piece of work, but it was written by a teenager. SLIDERS REBORN is written by an adult who thinks like a teenager. When reading Earth214, I felt that the writing was terrible but the underlying concept, intentions, plots, ideas and overall direction were very well thought out -- it's just that the ability to deliver all that in an engaging, convincing and stirring format wasn't quite there yet. It's like Slider_Quinn21 had the raw talent but needed a few more English classes and maybe some screenwriting software. SQ21 says he's done with 214, but I still maintain that going through and rewriting it -- not the story, but the language and descriptions and dialogue -- would turn it from a charming artifact of youth into something very strong. Earth214 is like a very rough statue that just needs a few more sessions to finish chiseling it into something spectacular.

I don't disagree with any of this, and that's actually been my biggest struggle as a writer.  I feel like I have solid ideas but just an awful translation from brain to paper/screen.  I'm working on my second novel, and I love the story but get bored my some of my own writing.  Which is....bad. 

I have a dozen ideas that I absolutely *love* and want to get out there, and I'm considering putting them in a collection of short stories.  I think a lot of them would do better in a full version in someone else's hands, and if I can do some sort of Phillip K. Dick stories, maybe a handful of talented writers can make the next generation of Blade Runner/High Castle/Minority Report/etc.

Not that I'm anywhere near as good or talented or creative as Phillip K. Dick.  But you know, I can dream.

PS - I just checked my email, Ib.  On it.

And, finally, the reason I'm here.  I had to answer the board question about 8 times when I posted in the DC thread.  I had to answer the Wade one about four times in a row.  Did something change or did I have bad luck?

ireactions wrote:

Bah! Earth214 is over! It's had its time! All the action is over at SLIDERS REBORN now! Earth214 is a dinosaur!

Well that all might be true, but at least it wasn't the turd that is Earth 30858 by Slidemania.  It's like the guy thought Peckenpah was an absolute genius at story's and wanted to overboard with the science fictional aspects or what I like to call "Science Fantasy"  Parallel Universes with real Greek gods, two references to Quantum Leap technology, Sliding to previous worlds that they visited in previous episodes of the show all except for home, going overboard with all the sexual, gay, and lesbian content, and every story just got longer and longer and longer to read.  Some other stories long and happily closed he brought back and made the endings more depressing, 10 Sliders at one time which is only ambitious if it's believable and unnecessarily bringing back both Geiger and Rickman, Quinn and Colon's parents live at Epcot Center, THE VORTEX IS PINK, Maggie is Blonde, planet wide epidemics can work at the speed of light with a knife prick, the Sliders start developing "superpowers" and best of all he didn't have the guts to finish his story but we should have seen it coming with all the flashbacks he inserted, not to mention the annoying Mary Sue character he made up known stereotypically as Janine Chen.

However.....I think his Dublian's had some potential if only they would've be harder to kill and more of a threatening backstory about the "Little Green Men"  From outer space.

Though I think now I'm seriously going to check out that SLIDERS REBORN place.

I'm not sure why the Bboard is forcing everyone to answer the questions; I've disabled that for now and I'll watch to see if this leads to more spambot registrations.

As for Slidemania -- meh. It's fanfic. Professional grade writing should be seen as a wonderful surprise rather than a basic requirement. I adore crazy fanfic. These are fans expressing their passion; they may not necessarily have the skill to create an enjoyable product, but the fact that they put their stuff out there is to be admired. Slider_Quinn21's vision of SLIDERS in his series was an extension of the Sci-Fi Channel years but with the original-cast and early-season elements blended with the latter-era sliders and storylines, presenting SLIDERS' tangled web as a beautiful tapestry. Slidemania's vision of SLIDERS was very fantasy-oriented, but any story is conceivably a SLIDERS story.

One favourite fanfic of mine is a sequel to "This Slide of Paradise" where Arturo tracks the gang to the world of animal human hybrids and spends an episode wandering around the forest set of that episode.

The Reviving Sliders thread on this Bboard has hilariously incoherent ideas for reviving the original cast a decade after "The Seer" with positively absurd ideas like a new SLIDERS pilot opening with Wade at long last being rescued from a Kromagg cell with Quinn being split from Mallory shortly afterwards thanks to some convenient technobabble matched with some surprisingly good concepts for gender-swapped versions of the sliders. http://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?id=115 While most of them are terrible, one cannot deny the obvious love for the series that's on display.

I would argue that SLIDERS REBORN is just as foolish and ridiculous as any of the above. The only real difference between me and them -- and it isn't even that much of a difference at all -- is that watching all six seasons of the TV show COMMUNITY has given me an aptitude for taking the absurd and unbelievable and making it sufficiently funny or affectionate that the reader will go along with it because they're charmed by the characters.

I think a truly 'realistic' vision of SLIDERS in the modern era would be Temporal Flux's reboot idea: the sliders, at their 2016 ages, discover sliding and go on their first adventure in an alternate reality where Quinn is in his forties when he makes his first slide instead of in his twenties. http://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?pid=1567#p1567

ireactions wrote:

I'm not sure why the Bboard is forcing everyone to answer the questions; I've disabled that for now and I'll watch to see if this leads to more spambot registrations.

There was one night where I answered questions for literally 30-40 times until I just gave up (since the conversion from Sliders questions to "Hello" and "Earth" questions).  But since that time, it's worked perfectly.  I get questions every couple times, and it's only made me answer one (and on occasion, twice).

I answered 'Earth Prime' and it seemed to accept that

pilight wrote:

I answered 'Earth Prime' and it seemed to accept that

Ha, that's funny.  Well done smile

maxcardun wrote:

It's like the guy thought Peckenpah was an absolute genius at story's and wanted to overboard with the science fictional aspects or what I like to call "Science Fantasy

10 Sliders at one time which is only ambitious if it's believable and unnecessarily bringing back both Geiger and Rickman, Quinn and Colon's parents live at Epcot Center, THE VORTEX IS PINK, Maggie is Blonde, planet wide epidemics can work at the speed of light with a knife prick, the Sliders start developing "superpowers" [...] not to mention the annoying Mary Sue character he made up known stereotypically as Janine Chen.

Suddenly, I'm worried. The finale of SLIDERS REBORN will feature:

• 40 - 50 sliders

• A pink vortex

• A blonde Maggie

• The sliders developing 'superpowers'

• A spunky teenager who is Quinn's daughter

In addition, the story will have the return of:

• The rock star vampires

• The giant radioactive slug

• The underground Morlocks

• The animal-human hybrids

• The super-intelligent snakes

• The pancake parasites

• The fat craving zombies

• The dinosaurs

• The killer robots

• The Dream Masters

• The amusement park that feeds on negative emotions

• The remote controlled cars with laser cannons

• Diana Davis

And the story will be dedicated to the memory of David Peckinpah and will include the sliders running a detective agency like one of Peckinpah's cop shows and a heavily action oriented approach reminiscent of Season 3.

Are you as nervous about this story as I am? God help us all.

Hi everyone. Due to Slider_Quinn21 running afoul of the spambot filter that kept asking him the same questions over and over again every time he tried to post, I have deactivated registration. Please email me at ireactions (at) gmail.com if you want an account and I will make one for you.

In other news, I've installed a mediocre mobile layout for the Bboard so that we can continue to debate politics, SUPERNATURAL, the DC film universe, the Marvel Cinematic Universe while determinedly ignoring each and every item of interest on the much-loathed and constantly derided Earth Prime dot com website.

Is it posssible to disable to the mobile layout when I view the board? I can't tell when the last post was on each topic to see whether there's anything new. (I usually don't sign in unless I'm going to post/respond).

Just set your mobile browser to request desktop mode -- or if you want to know what's new, log in on your browser, click on New Topics and you'll see any threads with unread posts listed.

Oh, if you want to disable the mobile site, you can go here -- http://sliders.tv/bboard/profile.php?se … s&id=2 -- and disable it for your account.