Re: Status Updates!

ireactions wrote:

Oh, I don't know. Informant, here's the first 32 pages. You tell me what I'm doing wrong.

http://freepdfhosting.com/885454a1c8.pdf

ireactions wrote:

Actually, I've worked out a solution. I need to divide the script into episodes and make the episodes like separate chapters of a novel. They'll still be one script, but each segment will have a separate title card. Not a title, I want to keep the "Regenesis" banner, but I'll find a decent quote to start each portion and focus on a specific character or pairing. That way, a 46-page SLIDERS-meets the Marvel Cinematic universe episode can be followed by a lightweight Season 1-esque comedy of mistaken identities, then a David Peckinpah-style detective story, then a pacey science fiction adventure like in Season 2, and then back to the superhero material for the last installment. They'll all, individually, feel like TV episodes.

Informant wrote:

Sounds cool.

Hated the pages, didja?

Well. I decided to reduce the action in the way that Informant advised and got it down to 26 pages. I guess that's okay for a Bondian opening. http://freepdfhosting.com/885454a1c8.pdf

I didn't! Actually, I've been having some pretty bad back pain and haven't been able to sit and do any writing/editing/reading work. I came to open a tab and remind myself to read it, saw your other post and replied to that without mentioning that I hadn't been able to read your pages yet.

I'm working on figuring out a way to be able to do some work, but I haven't found a tolerable way to sit yet.

Informant wrote:

I didn't! Actually, I've been having some pretty bad back pain and haven't been able to sit and do any writing/editing/reading work. I came to open a tab and remind myself to read it, saw your other post and replied to that without mentioning that I hadn't been able to read your pages yet.

I'm working on figuring out a way to be able to do some work, but I haven't found a tolerable way to sit yet.

Not sure if this will help you at all but you may want to check this out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FA5SGG/re … amp;btkr=1

There's also a cheaper version here https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Over-Back-P … 0425087417

That's really interesting. I will check it out. Thanks!

I'm sorry about your back, Informant. Keep us posted.

Anyone remember the movie 13th Floor? It's free on some cable providers now through one of the studio/content owners on-demand channels, and I watched it this weekend.  Pretty good, and has some Sliders-like elements.

So, I sent the outline for the final SLIDERS REBORN to SLIDERS genius Nigel Mitchell like a year ago. But it was written in a thin, vague, general sense without much detail and I found the story a bit lacking in depth, detailing an average day in San Francisco now that it's a city of overlapping alternate realities followed by a big finish. Nigel pronounced that it reached the dizzying heights of good enough, but I knew there wasn't enough material for a screenplay.

Over the course of a year, I added more material to the outline. Subplots. Details of the city and its inhabitants. Side stories and examples. Scenery descriptions. More characters to better illustrate the themes. Anything and everything I might need so that I wouldn't be coming up with ideas on the spot and getting stuck in corners.

Nigel informs me that he cannot make head or tails of this expanded outline, that he can't keep track of who all these supporting cast characters are or why they matter or how they serve the plot or what the hell is going on. And I myself an experiencing something similar -- there's too much material for the script.

As a result, things are being shortened down. A complex chain of deduction is reduced to looking up an address. An extensive car chase has been excised. A complex series of six different mysteries has been reduced to two. It's hell on the editor, but it feels like it's better to have too much than too little?

More isn't always better.  Sometimes it's just more.

Eh - just shoehorn all the excised bits into Part SIX: REGURGITATION. wink

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

pilight is both right and wrong. He's right that more material hasn't made the outline better in that poor Nigel couldn't understand it whereas the thin, vague and general outline was something of which he approved. However, I think it will make the script better. More *is* better from a time and productivity perspective: when writing the script, I'm not short of ideas or content, I don't have to struggle to give each slider something to do or work out how to get from Point A to B. All that material's already there, but some of it might not be present in the script, addressed through scene cuts, throwaway lines and montages. A lot of material isn't making it into the script pages, but it's still taking place off-camera or in a severely shortened form.

I would love for SLIDERS REBORN to go on forever, but I don't have the talent or skill to keep it going, Nigel Mitchell is responsible for nearly every piece of brilliance and cleverness in the stories and I think I'd better quit with an epic series finale while I'm slightly ahead.

Nigel has set me some additional constructive criticism -- he thinks that the bulk of the finale outline is filled with irrelevant and confusing incidents and events. He advises that I turn the end of the script into the middle and get rid of the existing middle.

He could be right. Not sure yet. I'd say that I'm attempting a certain effect -- the "As Time Goes By" effect as well as the DOCTOR WHO effect where the story is filled with throwaway ideas that could each potentially be their own episode, the idea being to show how rich and boundless the SLIDERS concept can be where you can have a superhero movie next to an eccentric dramedy next to a hard boiled detective story next to a father-daughter dramedy. Nigel is the second editor to work on SLIDERS REBORN and the second one to think the story is absolutely crazy and out of control. Nigel is the best SLIDERS writer to ever touch the property. Yes, I know we all like Steve Brown and Jon Povill and Mike Truman and Marc Scott Zicree and Chris Black, but Nigel is the best and if he has concerns, they're worth serious consideration.

I think I'll continue onward as I am, but if the script truly becomes unmanageable, then Nigel's proposal is Plan B. I can't deny that what I'm attempting is completely nuts. The entire project, a SLIDERS revival in the feature film format with some extras, is lunacy. But... I mean, I've been thinking of Ian McDuffie (the Think of a Roulette blog) and his appearance on SLIDERSCAST in which Jim Ford described the plot of "In Dinos Veritas" and Ian remarked: "Everything you said is just insane! Dinosaurs! Truth collars! Poachers! Holographic rangers! And then the poacher got eaten! One of the best parts of trying to explain SLIDERS to anyone is a synopsis. They’re always bonkers. Like a sentient worm that poops the elixir of life."

Maybe that's what's happened with Nigel here, although anyone who dismisses Nigel Mitchell's opinion does so at their peril.

Last year, I bought my mother a Moto E 2nd Gen smartphone. Her very first one ever. She dropped it in water last week. But it's okay! I bought two. I had a feeling she'd need a backup. And on Saturday, I looked around for my mother's next future smartphone and bought another two Moto E 2nd Gens. They're only $90 each. I know Motorola is Informant's mortal enemy, but they've gotten really good ever since Google bought and sold them to Lenovo. They're the cheapest game in town for usable, capable but not top-class smartphones.

The thing that drives me crazy about Samsung, Sony, HTC, ZTE and Huawei is their less than useless, overpoweringly clumsy revisions to Android. The Moto E and Moto G phones were plain Android just as God and Google intended but with one Motorola app (for voice control, motion control and data migration). My mother is not going to be able to wrap her head around Touchwiz or HTC Sense or MIUI fighting Android. The Moto E is no superphone, but it's good enough for my mother's instant messaging and phone calls and the 5GB of storage space is a problem, but not once Marshmallow's adoptable storage adds in 58GB from a microSD. There's a slight performance hit, but it's fine for my mother's limited usage.

That said, I couldn't *quite* bring myself to just hand over the Moto E to my mother without some modifications. The Moto E had no bluelight filter and I had to root it in order to get one working. Motorola's a good brand, although I personally wouldn't want to buy any of their 8GB phones; 16GB of storage plus a microSD should be the minimum.

So, I am on page 50 of the final SLIDERS REBORN script and... I think this is working. But it stands out to me that two editors at this point declared my outlines and plot synopses to be insane, unworkable, umanageable and incomprehensible and quit. Yet, the things that they hated most tend to be rather well-received by the people who read the finished scripts. I'm wondering if (a) I don't outline in a way that communicates stories effectively to someone else (b) if my humour and content don't come through well in summary format and (c) I'm unable to edit my own outlines effectively until I'm actually writing the scripts.

A lot of Nigel's remarks continue to ring true, but I'm following his advice more inadvertently than willfully. For example, he chastised me for not having any scenes where we see the antagonist plotting and planning -- and in order to make certain scene transitions work, I had to cut away to SOMETHING, and I cut away to what Nigel suggested. He said I had too many characters and too many plots, and in the course of writing individual scenes, I have to decomplicate and declutter the story -- and all of that outline material, simply through the course of being distilled into the screenplay format, is being simplified and trimmed to lean efficiency.

However, it's kind of helpful to have a vast and massive outline because it gives me a lot of raw material and a clear chain of logic for why events are happening and what is causing them even if all the details aren't shown as explicitly as in the outline. I'm starting to wonder if my editors' uniformly negative responses to my writing are less the content and more the initial delivery system.

This is why I hate outlines and blurbs. I write novels. It takes me 100,000 words (give or take) to fully convey the story that I want to tell. Then I'm asked to take that story and condense it down into a paragraph that will fit on the back of a book cover. It's madness!

We tend to tell people the landmark ideas that we want to put in there, but not the spirit of the story or how the idea is supposed to feel emotionally. Outlines and blurbs leave out everything that makes us relate to stories.

I think that's definitely a part of it. But I also think that maybe I lack certain skills in communicating my story summaries and also neglect certain elements of storytelling. You've read the first two SLIDERS REBORN scripts; the 4-page prequel and the first 95-page script. The script has a teenaged girl going into Quinn's abandoned basement to drink and experiencing an interdimensional phenomenon to kick off the story.

The original outline gave no explanation for why the girl goes into Quinn's basement. She's just there because... the writer wanted SLIDERS REBORN to begin in the same place as the Pilot. The first editor told me off for failing to include basic motivational reasoning -- but there was a bit of overlap in that I'd started writing the script by the time he sent me that criticism.

When writing the script and distilling the ideas and concepts into actual pages in a screenplay, I realized I needed an explanation for why the girl goes into the basement. I decided to give her a drinking problem. And then I wrote that element into subsequent scenes -- and it's an element that is nowhere to be found in the outline. It was only when writing the screenplay that I realized it was needed. So, if I'm omitting such critical information from outlines and don't even realize they're needed until scripting, it's probably difficult for any editor to envision the final product based on the initial synopsis.

ireactions, I've been really busy the last few days.  I'm going to look at your pages tomorrow smile

I think that's just how writing works. TV writers create beat sheets, with a scene by scene outline of what they're planning to do, but things happen in the actual writing of the story that can change that plan. When you have the idea, you're looking through a telescope at the world that you're thinking of visiting. You can describe it, but usually just in broad terms. Once you get into actually writing the story, you are living with those characters. You have their exact words, and the exact feeling of the moment. You're on that world, and that's when you figure out how cold it is and whether or not you need a jacket. You can't always know what the story needs until you are inside of it. I think that's pretty normal.

You've read Strange Fall, right? That story started out as satire, commenting on the absurdity of YA vampire romance stories. The idea was simply to have a teenage girl meeting a zombie in the woods and decide to go with it because it's what teenage girls are supposed to do in those stories.
Then I write the first sentence of the story, and every element of that world changed. It was still basically the same idea that I'd seen from a distance, but it looked very different up close. It turned out to be sad and desperate, but hopeful in a way that only revealed itself to me in the writing process.

I don't think you're as bad as you think you are. Some people just don't outline, or don't outline well. I usually don't write out a full outline for my stories, because I find them useless once I actually start writing.

I think STRANGE FALL is Informant's very best book yet, although I haven't finished the FREEDOM HATE series. (I did buy them all, though.)

And no worries, Slider_Quinn21. Just know that the fate of the multiverse, Sliders Incorporated, San Francisco and Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo rest partially in your hands. Bwhahaahahahahahahahahaahahah! Sorry.

Oh Godddddd. I just wrote dialogue for Charlie O'Connell and I HATE Charlie O'Connell.

As I said, I decided to grudgingly name the Sliders Incorporated slide system for San Francisco the Cylcotronic Optical Local Interdimensional Network in order to (reluctantly) pay tribute to Charlie O'Connell. When writing the script, it seemed wasteful to not have Quinn use the system a bit more, so I added a voice interface and now Quinn has to say "Colin" the way other people say "Siri" or "OK Google" -- and I hit a page where it felt reasonable to have the AI respond to Quinn.

... so. Charlie O'Connell has things to say. In SLIDERS REBORN. God damn it. I hate Colin.

ireactions wrote:

I think STRANGE FALL is Informant's very best book yet, although I haven't finished the FREEDOM HATE series. (I did buy them all, though.)

Much appreciated.

As for writing for Collin, I get where you're coming from. When I was doing fanfic way back when, I had to write for Kennedy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Talk about an annoying, useless character. smile

I'm writing some more scenes now and the Colin artificial intelligence is proving to be a magnificent shortcut to speed through exposition and get information to the sliders. I have come to love Colin and adore him. Charlie O'Connell's toneless voice is perfect for an inhuman, robotic AI.

Slider_Quinn21 has been reading my script pages. It's a new experience for me. With the previous installments, editors read the outlines, but nobody (had time to or could bear to) read the finished scripts before they were posted online.

Something hilarious he observed -- he said that my Arturo dialogue seemed grossly overdone, too many big words, which I found really funny. I like to think that I've internalized all the characters' voices. But the truth is, after each script, I have to take a day to rewatch four episodes of SLIDERS ("As Time Goes By," "Last Days," "The King is Back" and "Eggheads") and then I go through the scripts and rewrite all the dialogue with the actors' deliveries and mannerisms recently in mind. At this point, my Arturo has become a caricature of a caricature. Damn it.

Nigel cautioned me that my outline as he read it would result in a thousand page script. I'm at page 90 or so, I'm on the verge of the final action set-piece and the conclusion. I think I should not have sent him the outline that I sent him. It was not an outline. It was a rambling stream of consciousness resource document. What I should have done, instead, was convert the outline into a proper beat sheet and apply all the truncation/shortening/editing/streamlining that I'm doing now as I write the script and then he could have reviewed it properly. This would be very important to apply to my next SLIDERS script except I don't think that I will write one. :-)

I'm happy to report that I have completed the first draft of the final SLIDERS REBORN script. It's 144 pages right now. I'm going to give myself until December 30 to review, edit, take Slider_Quinn21's suggestions into account and also rewatch some SLIDERS episodes and redo all the dialogue so that my caricatures will become more accurate pastiches of the actors. But we're all set for a December 31 rollout! I can't believe we're here.

Congrats!

As I make final revisions, I find that while I experienced a crazy, manic, joyful glee while in the process of writing the last SLIDERS REBORN script, I'm now reading my own work and my eyes keep glazing over the descriptions because I already know what I'm about to read. I'm ready to post it now. The only reason I'm not -- I am waiting for my editor's notes on the last 40 pages of so of the script and will make final revisions and then immediately post it. But I don't feel like I have anything left to put into it myself.

I guess I'll get started on some original work. The day the last round of notes arrive is probably the last day I'll spend working on SLIDERS fan fiction.

I'm considering taking a break from the internet. It has just been insane and frustrating lately. Fake news, bickering, whining... And I'm not taking much away from it that is positive anymore.

I'd probably have to make exceptions for work and anything that I can stream without a browser, but I may eventually need to step away from it for a while. The internet used to be educational and fun. Now it's like hanging out in never-ending slums. It's depressing.

This site doesn't count as slums, of course. I'm just taking about the internet in general.

Have you considered blocking websites that are an impediment to your mental heath and well-being?

I'll be sorry to see you absent. I'm relieved that I finished SLIDERS REBORN before you left and got as much advice out of you as humanly possible. The DC TV show thread won't be the same without you. If you must leave, do you think you might dispatch an understudy or a successor or a surrogate to keep us from getting lonely until you return?

When outlining SLIDERS REBORN, one of the three editors on the project protested how I kept splitting the sliders up into separate groups of two throughout the plot, saying it made no sense to split the sliders apart when the point of the story was to reunite them. While I made some effort to keep the quartet together in the scripts -- for the last installment, the sliders are constantly apart because the plot requires it.

However, between writing the fourth and sixth installments, I'd bought a Bluetooth earpiece that is now almost surgically attached to my ear -- and so all the sliders in my scripts have earpieces. As a result, even when the sliders are separated by distance, they are in constant communication, their conversations never stop and even when they are not in the same room, they are still together. Modern technology solved the problem.

I wish I had an understudy in life. smile

I think that for now, I might just go internet light. And internet diet, if you will. Skip news (which isn't worth much anyway) and maybe cut out social media, but allow low-stress sites like this one. I'm a writer, on a computer for hours at a time... it's hard to not research stuff. It's just been getting way more insane lately. And by "insane", I don't mean what we do here, where we have a pleasant conversation and everyone disagrees but ultimately gets along just fine. No, I'm talking about people who are losing family members because of the post-election hysteria. It's gotten completely irrational, on a very large scale. I generally don't do politics on my private, personal Facebook page, so I observe a lot of what people I know say. And I see some normal people who are usually pretty nice and rational, posting things about how they can't be friends with anyone who voted for Trump because of this or that (usually based on false news stories or things they don't understand, not Trump's actual d-bagginess). It's a shame. There is absolutely no desire to understand the other side of any issue, so they just create these monstrous images of their "enemy", so they can justify the ugliness and the hate that is consuming them.

And even for stupid things... There were images released for the Justice League movie. But I can't get excited about it, because every article and every comment revolves around this notion that DC is doomed and everything is horrible, and there is no way to recover and misery, misery, misery. I don't get what would be so hard about letting people enjoy the movies they like without going insane over it. I don't tear into every Star Wars fan I see. I've discussed the Marvel movies, but I'm not on some active mission to tear down any shred of enjoyment that people might get from them. It seems like the pop culture machine has turned hating those movies into the cool trend. The movies themselves have little to do with it at this point... another situation where facts and details aren't as important as feeding the fire. Meanwhile, Disney could release a movie that is nothing but a chimp eating a banana for two hours, and the world would cheer them on as long as it had "Marvel's" or "Star Wars" before the title (don't get me wrong, there may be examples of good work from each franchise, but there are also definite weaknesses that nobody cares about).

Seem like the internet as a whole is becoming more about destroying anything good that someone else has. But this board is nice. We disagree, but we discuss. I don't get what is so hard about that. Maybe I just don't get the team mentality, where you are undyingly loyal to something, regardless of what it becomes.

Sorry. Ranting.

Social media is more politically extreme because it's dominated by younger people, and younger people tend to have a less nuanced view of the world.

Maybe, but I'm seeing it from fully grown adults too. People that really don't have the excuse of youth.

(I was going to say that I was never such a pig-headed youth, but I think that a couple of people around here might do a spit-take and destroy their monitors if I said such things)

Avoiding those sites made me more productive... In a way.

I hacked my NES Classic and added a bunch of games. Now I have about 50. I will be doing more, but I just wanted to see if I could do it. I've heard that someone got an SD card working with it. If that happens, I will have pretty much all the old NES games smile

Just to bring the discussion on relating to people over the internet back to SLIDERS...

I spent various periods of January 2015 to December 2016 writing SLIDERS REBORN with three different editors who called me completely insane at different points. I had a fundamentalist view of SLIDERS (that it's all canon, all 88 episodes are best integrated into a grand tapestry of infinite storytelling possibilities) to which they were fundamentally opposed (they advised a straight reboot). The great thing about having had three editors is that I can talk about them bluntly without indicating which of the three to whom I refer.

One editor described my writing as a clumsy and witless collection of empty set pieces unleashing the Season 3 monsters for no good reason whatsoever and when I explained that they served as metaphors for mental illness, he told me I was clearly well-acquainted with the subject matter and remarked that Hong Kong slapstick comedy and superhero movies had melted my ability to tell stories.

One editor kept rewriting my dialogue, feeling that my desire to imply and indicate through context and action was ineffective and didn't communicate emotion well while observing that my scientific exposition was an impenetrable fog. I would read this editor's suggested revisions with horror where my subtext was simply text and I would wonder if I'd spent so long inside my SLIDERS bubble that I had lost the ability to explain anything to anybody.

One editor told me that that my writing was an overstuffed shopping list of story elements that would result in an incomprehensible, unreadable story and characterized my outline as "an unworkable beat sheet of nonsensical stream of consciousness written by a crazy person."

One editor would offer opinions in an oddly deferential manner -- which is to say he would provide a positive opinion, and then when forwarded fan mail with negative criticism from other readers, would promptly reverse his opinion to match the criticism.

I certainly don't excuse myself from all the difficulties here; my outlines were often a list of unstructured ideas and very difficult for any editor to review. However, at various points, I found myself telling each of the three editors that their job was not to take my story and replace it with their own; their job was to share with me how they felt my story could be told effectively and engagingly.

(This was hard for them because my outlines often left it frustratingly unclear what my story even was.)

Anyway. When their ideas added clarity, depth, points of interest and meaning to a celebratory tribute to all five seasons of SLIDERS and created warmth and joy and love and wonder for the characters and their world, I worked them in. When their ideas were caustic or insulting to SLIDERS or diluted the happiness and thrill of having Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo back together, I declined to use them.

When they called my story incomprehensible and told me to just do a continuity reboot and rewrote my dialogue, I set aside my frustration and tried to grapple with what was confusing and find a way to simplify; when they called me and my material crazy, I would ask myself if the plausibility were an issue or if the madness could be communicated within the tone of the writing to enthuse the reader.

I tried to take the very best of what they had to say, not dwell too much on that which was unhelpful or paralyzing, while accepting that sometimes, people aren't always going to communicate with you in the terms you personally would find ideal and if I couldn't deal with that and do my job, SLIDERS REBORN would have sat unfinished on EP.COM forever.

Informant wrote:

Disney could release a movie that is nothing but a chimp eating a banana for two hours, and the world would cheer them on as long as it had "Marvel's" or "Star Wars" before the title (don't get me wrong, there may be examples of good work from each franchise, but there are also definite weaknesses that nobody cares about)

It's not that they don't care, they are just willing to overlook the problems because of the elements they enjoy.  Fans nitpick Star Wars films to death.

If you can't enjoy media in spite of its flaws, what are you doing posting here?

ireactions wrote:

I tried to take the very best of what they had to say, not dwell too much on that which was unhelpful or paralyzing, while accepting that sometimes, people aren't always going to communicate with you in the terms you personally would find ideal and if I couldn't deal with that and do my job, SLIDERS REBORN would have sat unfinished on EP.COM forever.

True. But when it comes to the real world and real consequences, with real facts and real details, keeping your head down and letting things roll off your back is less productive.

pilight wrote:

It's not that they don't care, they are just willing to overlook the problems because of the elements they enjoy.  Fans nitpick Star Wars films to death.
If you can't enjoy media in spite of its flaws, what are you doing posting here?

To be clear, I'm not having a freak-out "Leave Brittany alone!" moment. I'm just burned out, frustrated by the willingness to believe lies because they say what you want, and a complete lack of scale when it comes to disagreeing with people. Suddenly, anyone who didn't vote for Hillary is a KKK member, a rapist, a murderer, a fascist (and most people who use that word don't even know what it means), and whatever other negative words people can think of, and you are completely unworthy of life, much less talking to.

That is not rational thought. It is not productive. It is insane. Balls-out crazy. It's the most intolerant, hateful, ugly people calling other people intolerant, hateful and ugly... And that would just be laughable if it weren't coming from news outlets and other supposedly sane people. This is crap that kids say, it isn't supposed to come from adults!

So yeah, I'm burned out. I'm a facts and details guy who loves discussing and debating with people who don't agree with me, because I'm capable of respecting people who aren't exactly like me. This insanity is, to me, like forcing a germaphobe to lick the floor in a hospital. But I'll get over it. Probably sooner rather than later.

This board isn't really like that though. We discuss differences and debate topics, but usually in a more rational, grown-up way. We may argue, but I genuinely don't think that anyone here wants to resurrect Hitler or rape anyone. I have never gotten the impression that anyone here thinks those things of me.

To use the Star Wars example... It is one thing for fans to debate details of the movie that they all love. I think it is something else for someone to wave off the idea of criticism because they think the movies are perfect and if you disagree with that beliefs, you are an ugly human being who isn't worth talking to.

I think the discussions about comic book movies have especially gotten close to that point. Those discussions sound a lot like political debates at times. Critics will praise the one they want to love, blind to any weaknesses, and they will rip into anything that challenges that beloved franchise in any way.

The reality is, some people like Marvel, some people like DC. Both have made pretty good money. Both have made movies that solidly appeal to their audience. The success of one doesn't really harm the other. There doesn't need to be a winner or a loser, but a lot of people are in a battle mindset. They can't just let people like what they like, they have to make sure that nobody likes the other one.

Like I said, it looks a lot like a political discussion at times, which is odd.

Informant wrote:

True. But when it comes to the real world and real consequences, with real facts and real details, keeping your head down and letting things roll off your back is less productive.

I don't know if I recommended "keeping your head down," but I do champion "letting things roll of your back" in addition to "doing whatever it is you need to do" in both the fictional world and the real world.

It only works in real life if you're not willfully ignoring facts, just for the sake of continuing to hate someone. In real life, letting fantasy outweigh reality doesn't lead to good things. I do tend to smile and ignore people that I know when they say crazy things, but watching them go insane over something that they're essentially made up in their head is frustrating. An the more frustrating part is that I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I could show them video proof that proves that they are wrong about X, Y or Z, and they would refuse to absorb that information. They would deny it, and then forget that it existed as soon as it wasn't right in front of their face.

It reminds me of the Ben/Glory thing on Buffy, in a way. smile

Once again, you seem to be discounting / ignoring the central part of my philosophy, which is not tuning out what you don't want to hear or engaging in self-delusion or prioritizing fantasy -- but not letting that which is distressing and upsetting prevent you from making efforts to accomplish your goals, whatever those are.

Yeah, I get that. Like I said, I'm not having a breakdown or anything. I'm just tiring of specific topics and mindsets. Easily avoided for a little while.

I'd love to see if I could go completely low-tech for a while and swear off of cell phones and laptops entirely, but that isn't realistic while I need to get work done.

I should say, your philosophy isn't very different than what I usually do. In normal life, I usually take things in, shake my head and then move on with my life. But it's just gotten harder to ignore the crazy, so I wanted to limit my exposure for a while.

Okay, avoiding didn't work. Just can't be done.

I just have to take a deep breath and not let the crazies get to me.

The Earthprime.com webmaster informs me that SLIDERS REBORN is the third most visited section of the website, coming in behind the home page (#1) and the Season 3 episode guide (#2). That's right. Twenty years later and Season 3 is still stabbing me in the back. Damn you, Season 3!

(But thank you to everyone for all the page views and the TV Tropes page and the plugs.)

About a year ago...

ME: "I miss posting on Sliders.TV so much! I keep writing up long posts and just saving them in the cloud!"

TRANSMODIAR: "Do you feel better now that you've admitted it?"

ME: "It's been really hard ever since the moderator banned me from Sliders.TV."

TRANSMODIAR: " ................... YOU are the moderator."

ME: "Yeah, I needed a time-out."

Two months ago...

ME: "You know, it's hard to keep going with SLIDERS REBORN when the first editor and now the second have told me the exact same thing -- that my story is crazy and unworkable and that I am insane."

TRANSMODIAR: "You'll prove 'em all wrong!"

ME: "But you were the first editor."

TRANSMODIAR: "Yeah! I know!"

ME: "But I can respect that you both gave up on the project because you understandably didn't believe in it."

TRANSMODIAR: "Hey, don't confuse giving up with never starting."

Two days ago...

ME: "Hmm. All in all -- between your intolerance for implausibility, Nigel's world-building skills and Slider_Quinn21's typo-spotting and troubleshooting with the prose, you all made the perfect editor."

TRANSMODIAR: "Cool! It's good to know I'm thirty three per cent of a man."

My iPad Mini 2's charge port is broken. I am trying to figure out if it's worth repairing -- by switching all tablet stuff over to the Surface 3 and seeing how well it goes!

... the wifi keeps switching off and on again. I feel like I spend more time fixing Windows PCs than I do using them.

So the touchscreen keyboard on the Surface? It's awful. The spacebar/isn't/wide/enough. I keep hitting the slash key instead. And weirdly, the keyboard + touchpad Touch Cover -- it randomly loses connection with the tablet at times. It occurs to me that in all the time I spent using the iPad, I was never dealing with random, time wasting glitches where software designers and hardware engineers' problems were suddenly my inconvenience.

But the Surface screen is really big. Everything pops! And when the Touch Cover does work, I type a heckuva lot faster than I ever could on an iPad. And the speakers are front facing so the sound is very strong when I'm watching a show. That's importan

The keyboard stopped working again just now. And now I seem to have lost the cursor.

The flu is no joke

pilight wrote:

The flu is no joke

Turns out, not the flu

Did you get a flu shot?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Did you get a flu shot?

Yes, but what I have is pneumonia