Re: Status Updates!

Okay. At the rate I'm going with the second SLIDERS REBORN script -- writing a scene or two on weekdays, writing large chunks on weekends -- it will be done by next week Sunday.

I was going to send Nigel Mitchell the script -- but I think that might be waiting too long. Part 2 was supposed to come out in June and I think I've integrated Nigel's input regarding the outline as best I can. One of his remarks was that while he could provide me with bits and pieces to add to the story, he was reluctant to suggest specific changes as the story was intricate and he found that pulling on one thread would unravel the whole thing.

I think, for September 30, I will post the first 15 pages of the script just to indicate that it's well on its way to completion despite the laboured development process. I'll have the first draft done by October 3 and I'll give myself a week to go through each page and punch it up, and then post the Part 2 script and the Part 2B novella (already written) on October 10.

Part 3 -- I think I'll reschedule that for a January 2016 release date, in light of all the issues I had writing Part 2.

You sound like me.

I wanted to release book 1 in my series last November. I want to release them every four months, so I need to make sure that the ball is rolling really well before I publish anything. So November came and went. Then March. Then July. Now I'm thinking maybe March 2016... maybe.

I want to bang my head against a wall at this point. That said, I am putting what I hope are finishing touches on book 1 while I wait for editing feedback on books 2 and 3. Hopefully I will be able to start round 1 rewrites on book 4 soon. Book 5 will get difficult, because it was supposed to be a five book series, but book five turned into two books, so now I need to make sure that they both stand on their own. They should, but I might have to reorganize some things.

Please kill me.

But not really, because if I die before finishing this, I might kill myself.

Yes, this I understand.

I'm not sorry for releasing Part 1 when I did. March 22, 2015 was too important a date to miss. However, completing the script for Part 1 a mere three weeks after the outline gave me a false sense of confidence. Part 1 was not terribly plot-driven and there were far fewer clues and setups than were needed for the payoff of Part 2. With Part 2, seemed fine in a general outline (or possible to rationalize) became illogical, nonsensical and incomprehensible when typing out actual scenes with events and dialogue. But it has gotten a bit ridiculous that a June 2015 script is coming out in October.

I wrote a scene today where Rembrandt encounters a double of Maggie who is a secret-agent-action-girl. Well. I think at 48, I have to call Maggie an action-woman. The plot and pacing required that Rembrandt convince this stranger that he is her ally and can be trusted. The means by which I had him do so is questionable in the extreme, but damn it, this had to move along.

I genuinely do not know if it's true to Rembrandt to have him declare that of all the sliders, Maggie is the one he knew best. Or if it's true to say that he knows her so well he can convince any Maggie-double that he's a friend. And also to say that Maggie gave him (off-camera) combat lessons during their two and a half years together. (But surely she would have?) But I think when writing tie-in fiction, you have to take some chances like these in extrapolating this way.

Something I really enjoy about fanfic -- many people have told me about the importance of not being self-indulgent in your fiction. Killing your darlings. Doing what serves the story as opposed to your personal fetishes and obsessions. But fanfic is a place where you can do all that. I was listening to the SLIDERS Rewatch podcast where Tom and Cory were joking about the Elston Diggs character of Season 3, laughing about how this silly character pops up in scripts and spouts expository dialogue to the sliders without any provocation, inexplicably telling strangers about his world and society like he assumes they're interdimensional visitors and need to be informed of what for Diggs would be common knowledge.

And when a scene required a receptionist, I could not resist making that receptionist Elston Diggs while presenting his bizarre expository dialogue as an indication of a compulsive mental disorder.

I posted the first 17 pages of the script on EarthPrime.com. I figured it was time.

I'll try and read it later this week ireactions.

New TV Show on Saturday called Ringer. Have any of you seen it?

Been reading a really good Original Story on Fictionpress.
It is called Mother of Learning. It's really good.
Here is a Link:

https://m.fictionpress.com/s/2961893/1/

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

Okay. SLIDERS REBORN Part 2 is in good shape. I have only the final action sequence left to write. And I need to insert some extra jokes into the earlier pages.

There was a lengthy sequence in Part 2 where something Informant said back on the old-Bboard that stood out to me:

Informant wrote:

I think Quinn would be disillusioned and depressed. Science failed him. His own intelligence failed him. He lost his mother and his home. And no matter how hard he tried to make other worlds like Earth Prime, it never worked. He was a fool to even believe that his Earth was right and all of the others were wrong. And now he wouldn't even recognize home if he saw it.
Today's Quinn wouldn't care about going home. He might care about his friends, if they were still around, but not much else. You'd think that there would be freedom in letting go of home, but there wasn't. It will always be an unanswered question and he will never truly belong anywhere.

And I firmly disagreed in my responses -- but then I wrote a script that pretty much agrees with Informant! Eeeeek!

ARTURO
Mr. Brown, although violence is rarely an ideal solution, perhaps our situation calls for you to have your weapon ready.

REMBRANDT
Got it, Professor -- no wait, I don't got it! Where's my gun?

WADE
I swiped it at the coffee shop. The ammo's in their garbage, the gun's down a sewer. Laurel was way too interested in --

LAUREL
You gotta be kidding me! We're walking into the unknown and you took our only weapon?

WADE
We don't need guns! We have two geniuses, a soul singer that superspies consider one of their own and a whiny teenager. We can't be stopped.

Okay. Part 2's script is complete. But pretty rough. There were lots of sections where I just wrote __________ and focused entirely on writing dialogue. But it's now a process of reviewing and refining what's been written over the next few days. The actual writing is done, so I'd say we're on track. :-)

I just fed the raw text file into Final Draft and with the formatting, it comes out to 130 pages. I'm astonished. I thought this was going to be a much longer and crazier length.

So much better than when you expect it to be long and it comes out at 50 pages. smile

omnimercurial, is that the Ringer that stars Sarah Michelle Gellar? It was on the CW a few years back, but canceled after one season.

I read that RINGER ended on a totally unsatisfying note -- I'm hesitant to get involved in shows that ended on cliffhangers.

I honestly had no idea how long "Revelation" (2) was going to be. I wrote chunks of it on my laptop, but then my laptop became so unacceptably awful that I was compelled to sell it. I then wrote long chunks of it on my iPad. I wrote a bunch of scenes in Google Docs which inserted unnecessary line breaks between every paragraph. I switched to writing in the iOS Pages app which produced corrupted Microsoft Word files. I finally shifted to using Microsoft Word in iOS. But it became clear that I was going to need to do this on a Windows machine because I needed the plot outline next to the script. (Yes, I bought a new laptop after all. Damn.)

Nigel was actually of the opinion that the outline was WAY TOO LONG for one installment. But. I think Nigel was thinking as a novelist (which he is) instead of as a screenwriter. Screenwriting is about the edited highlights.

I also had to really up the font size to size 30 or so so that I wouldn't be squinting at my tablet. And sometimes, I wrote on my home theatre PC with the screen at a healthy distance on the other side of the room, meaning the font must also be large. So I was looking at a 340-page document in the end with no sense of what Final Draft would do with the format and the word-wrapping.

I think it might end up being 150 pages or so because there's a lot of description to add.

Yep it's the SMG Ringer. Sarah Michelle not Sub Machine Gun. smile

Saw the first two eps yesterday. It was good... So far anyway.

The news of a Single Season and a potentially poor ending has me a little worried though I must admit.

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

Ringer was a fun show. It was over the top in a lot of ways, but it was interesting to watch.

Honestly though, I don't really remember the ending. smile

So, we're coming up on flu season. Anyone have measures of avoiding getting sick? I've turned to constant handwashing and using alcohol-based sanitizers as often as possible. I've also started taking a combination of herbal supplements and vitamins and minerals, specifically ginseng, vitamin C and zinc. And I'm trying something preventative as well -- I felt slightly feverish and some throat irritation starting yesterday morning, so I'm going to stay home from work and spend the day gargling salt water, drinking fluids, and see if I can beat this before it starts and turns into some ghastly 2-week experience.

Flu Jabs from Dr seem on the Cards for me but we all know the new strains outpace the Vaccines.

Oh the "Fun" of a for Profit Medical System and Pharmaceutical Industry eh?

Phage Therapy is the Answer to Antibiotic Resistance and Obsolescence but it is only an effective System of Treatment on a Large Scale.

Nah. Nothing ever stops me from getting sick, I I just try to get rid of it as fast as possible once I do get sick. :-)

Lots and Lots and Lots of Fluids.

That helps.... A bit.

I am once again behind in posting thoughts on TV shows. Arrow, Supernatural and The Flash premiered. I should get around to posting thoughts on them at some point.

On another note, the delay was caused by the fact that I spent most of last week in the 1960's, working on a miniseries for Hulu, based on the Stephen King novel "11.22.63". It was trippy. Such an awesome experience.

That sounds like a lot of fun! How was the food?

I keep underestimating how long it takes to write something. I finished the first draft of SLIDERS REBORN: "Revelation" last week. But it was a draft where at times, just to get to the next scene, I would write in ______________. Any place where I struggled to describe something, or needed to do research, or required photo reference, I would write in ____________ just to keep moving. I didn't think it would take more than a day to fill in the blanks -- it ended up taking three.

There were also issues that I spotted in the course of writing. In one scene, someone gets tied to a chair. But then I realized this raised a question: where had the rope come from? It became necessary to go back and find somewhere to introduce the rope and then come up with a line of dialogue to explain what it was doing in the scene.

Another difficulty I had was locations. In another thread, Temporal Flux and Matt commented on the location shooting in San Francisco for the Pilot episode, and another poster remarked that no other city has roads like San Francisco's. And as a result, I found myself peering through street-level photos of San Francisco and reviewing a real estate map in an effort to add some sense of the city to the story or at least start with something real and then adapt it into a fictional approximation.

This experience has really been an education in project management for fiction.

Your experience with writing those scripts is why I've always thought that fanfic is a good way for writers to get started. You learn a lot just writing it, and more when you get feedback.

The food was good, but there were a lot of people, so I didn't always get in line early enough to get the good stuff.

I would say my biggest mistake with REBORN was not talking about the plot issues I was having, instead trying to find some technobabble to resolve the issue and only digging myself into a deeper and deeper hole until Matt took away my shovel and threw me a rope ladder.

I would say the most ridiculous and stupid part of REBORN is, well -- the graphics. I mean, creating images of four actors standing next to each other would just be a half-day photoshoot for a real TV production. For SLIDERS, we have to cheat with putting Jerry's 2015 face on his 1995 costume and compositing photos of Jerry, John, Sabrina and Cleavant next to each other. And I did a pretty decent job at first with 100x100 pixel images, but then Matt upped the 'featured image' resolution to 800x300 pixels for the Earth Prime redesign. I actually found some pretty recent photos of Jerry, Cleavant, John and Sabrina, but so far, my efforts to put them in the same image together have been pretty hideous. I'm hoping to get it right for the final chapter.

*closes eyes*

I can't seem to stop editing the "Revelation" script and uploading new versions. I keep spotting typos. Just now, I noticed that I forgot to introduce a character's first name -- only gave his last -- so when the sliders later address this character by his first name, it's completely baffling. I don't know how I would ever be able to release a printed book.

Oh, it is much the same. Until you close your eyes, jump off the cliff and try not to reread the finished product because there is always something that could be fixed.

I am writing a sequel soon. That means going back and reading the original book. I am scared.

Over in the REBORN thread, a reader commented that he was confused by a specific aspect of the "Reminiscence" interlude novella. I reviewed his complaint, added two paragraphs to the novella, and the issue was resolved. So there's also this opportunity to respond to reader feedback and fix things to aid the reader experience.

That can be a dangerous path to go down. Be careful that you don't get caught making revisions after every comment you get. I have a policy of finalizing my books at publication. Aside from formatting issues or other technical flaws, I just end the process. If someone dislikes something (which happens often enough) I just accept it and move on.

Others like to keep the door open for revisions, but that would drive me nuts.

Well, he or she wanted me to A) bring back Colin Mallory and B) write a resolution to the Season 4 Quinn from Kromagg Prime/Colin spy-plot storyline. I wasn't going do that. Dear God.

However, he also got confused by an idea I didn't communicate as fully and clearly as I should have. And I think communicating information clearly and effectively is something any reader should expect for their investment of time. I wouldn't change *content*, but I might improve the delivery if possible. :-)

Makes sense. smile

126 (edited by christian.t.chung 2015-10-17 14:34:14)

Oh i didn't want you to make change to the plot because of my comments, I was just sharing my thought. I think you can tell an author a feedback about the plot and asking questions and make comments without implying "I want a rewrite that pleases me", I just wanted specifically what we did : exchange on the subject on this forum.
Still, it was very cool of you to clarify the thing I mentionned.

Sorry if I sounded hostile.

The first draft of "Reminiscence" was not Quinn telling his story to a psychiatrist to explain how Seasons 3 - 5 were resolved. The first draft was Quinn cornering Amanda Mallory in a coffee shop. She wouldn't remember who he was. He would sit her down and tell her the entire story of SLIDERS from his particular perspective.

Matt Hutaff read the draft and pointed out that it was an awkward piece of work indeed. He said it was ridiculous to declare that Amanda would sit with a stranger for an hour listening to a deranged recollection of lunacy. That made no sense whatsoever.

He also said he thought it was silly to try to offer in-universe explanations for why Season 1 episodes aired out of order, why Season 2's additional sliders vanished, why Season 3 had magic, why Season 4 was miserable and why Season 5 didn't have any Quinn-doubles and was constantly reusing the same sets. He thought the methodology for restoring the original sliders was nonsensical and incomprehensible and raised all sorts of questions about the process.

I rewrote the story so that Quinn was now talking to a psychiatrist so there'd be a reason for someone to sit through this story. The information Quinn conveyed, I kept largely the same, but I had the psychiatrist ask *all* the questions Matt raised and had Quinn answer them.

I think this is the way to handle feedback on fiction; if you're clear on the story you want to tell, then use feedback to consider *how* you tell it.

128 (edited by christian.t.chung 2015-10-17 15:05:43)

Well, while you are on the process of writing, yes, I agree you are expected and expecting to have feedback and rewrites from those.
But once the script is finished and "delivered", and all readers feedback...
I don't think there was hundreds of revisions to Harry Potter, but I guess there were hundreds of hundreds of feedback wink once it's printed and released.
Anyway, I'm just saying, I wasn't asking anything in particular except answers to my questions if it was possible.
So as you said me "asking to write Colin and Krommagg plot" to your novella was just untrue, I just asked why you didn't, that's substantially different.
Thank you again for your work.

I'm actually open to making more revisions to "Revelation." I felt I couldn't wait for Nigel Mitchell to give me feedback.  But one thing I find "Revelation" lacked was Tracy Torme's satirical humour. I'm not very good at that; my humour is more about characters snarking and referring to crazy events in the past like the time Wade made out with a robot who happened to have the same name as the last guy she dated.

So, if Nigel wants to give me some alt-Earth jokes to put in, I will probably do that and reupload the file. For future generations. :-)

I have another question for Informant.

Where do you stand on writers copying other writers' ideas? I ask because you were the victim of plagiarism.

"Revelation" doesn't copy dialogue or scenes. But the main plot is that billions of clocks have been randomly dropped across three parallel Earths. No one knows who they came from or why they've been distributed in this way. All the clocks are counting down in perfect sync. And when large scale disasters or wars or epidemics have taken place, the clocks have briefly sped up in their countdown. The populace thinks the clocks count down to the end of the world.

This is clearly 'inspired' by the DOCTOR WHO episode "The Power of Three." That said, "The Power of Three" flamed out spectacularly by completely failing to answer the question of why mysterious cubes had been distributed all over Earth or why an alien seeking to exterminate humanity let his murder machines sit around doing nothing for a year or what his grudge was with humans. I think I gave it my own spin by using countdown clocks and having people react to living under a countdown.

But how does Informant feel about it? Not the story itself -- I'm sure you haven't read it -- but what do you think about drawing on other people's ideas like this?

I felt it was okay since SLIDERS REBORN is free, but I have concerns about the artistic merits of this approach.

ireactions wrote:

This is clearly 'inspired' by the DOCTOR WHO episode "The Power of Three."

I didn't even make the 'connection' until you mentioned it, guess I was too busy enjoying the story.

Great work.

--Chaser9

I haven't read the story yet (I will. I'm just way behind) but if you're not copying the plot or scenes of the Doctor Who episode, I don't think there will be a problem. If you were selling the story, people might comment on the similarities, but a lot of stories are inspired by other stories. I guess it is more about how you make the story your own.

What happened to me was someone taking my thoughts and my words and claiming them as their own. It was unethical from a writing standpoint and the woman who did it will never be hired to write anything because of it (insert evil laugh here). Had she merely written a story that had a similar plot element, I would have been less offended. In fact, I've seen similar plot elements pop up since I wrote my stories. Sometimes it is coincidence and sometimes it makes me stop and wonder. But as long as people are doing something uniquely their own with the stories, it doesn't really matter.

chaser9 wrote:

I didn't even make the 'connection' until you mentioned it, guess I was too busy enjoying the story. Great work.

Thanks, Chaser9!

Informant wrote:

I haven't read the story yet (I will. I'm just way behind) but if you're not copying the plot or scenes of the Doctor Who episode, I don't think there will be a problem. If you were selling the story, people might comment on the similarities, but a lot of stories are inspired by other stories. I guess it is more about how you make the story your own. What happened to me was someone taking my thoughts and my words and claiming them as their own.

But as long as people are doing something uniquely their own with the stories, it doesn't really matter.

Hmm. Well, there are no scenes in SLIDERS REBORN: "Revelation" that resemble DOCTOR WHO's "The Power of Three." With a direct comparison:

Both "Po3" and "Revelation" feature a small, innocuous object scattered across Earth in a quantity of billions. In both stories, the objects are of unknown origin and subjected to intense scrutiny and interest and are part of a plot to destroy the world.

In "Po3," the cubes are inscrutable and implacable. The characters can't take them apart or learn anything about them. The cubes don't actually *do* anything until the third act when they start electrocuting people to death.

In "Revelation," the sliders dismantle the clocks and learn about the internals. The clocks also have sociological impact across the Earth because the countdown to an unknown outcome is disturbing and the clocks are powered by a peculiar power source that can be repurposed for other uses.

In "Po3," the characters investigate the cubes but learn nothing about them and the story is resolved without using any information drawn from examining the cubes.

In "Revelation," the sliders examine the clocks, take them apart, and later apply the knowledge they gathered from the earlier scenes. The explanation for the clocks is tied into sliding.

I dunno. I feel like the main differences are how "Revelation" is 'better' than "Po3" at least in how its mystery-box-item is handled. And "Po3"'s main problem is that it was radically restructured at the editing stage in a way that likely obscured and confused the story, resulting in questions raised and going unanswered (what did the alien have against humans and why was it necessary for the cubes to lie around for a whole year before they started murdering people?). So "Revelation" is not flawed in the areas where "Po3" was flawed. It has its own flaws!

The main conception for the doomsday clocks in "Revelation" was the realization that if the sliders were going to explore three parallel Earths in a single story, all three Earths needed some common element to link them. And I always thought "Po3" was a really great idea that didn't work out too well as aired and decided, "I need a common element, I'll use something like the 'Power of Three' cubes but make sure that my explanation for my McGuffin is directly tied into the sliding concept."

Okay. I've decided to add a note at the end of the "Revelation" script:

The author wishes to thank Chris Chibnall for inspiring the doomsday clocks with his Doctor Who episode, “The Power of Three,” in which billions of cubes were scattered across the planet Earth by an alien antagonist seeking to exterminate the human race by using his cubes as electroshock murder machines.

I also just remembered that "Reprise" was 'inspired' by THE WOLVERINE -- specifically the tag scene in which Wolverine is shocked to find himself facing his dead mentor, the wise Professor, who was last seen vapourized in the third X-MEN movie. Wolverine stares at the miraculously restored and resurrected Professor, looking like he's ready to cry. "How is this possible?" he asks.

"As I told you a long time ago," says the Professor, "you're not the only one with gifts." The scene cuts off before any further explanation is provided.

I would insert a thank-you to the writer in the "Reprise" script, but I actually don't know who wrote the tag scene.

So, I'm continuing to flesh out the general outline for the fifth and final installment of SLIDERS REBORN and -- I don't know if this is the right approach, but I'm trying to do all the tiring things first. Rather than try to come up with alt-history details and location descriptions when writing the script, I'm gathering all that information now for each individual scene.

Rather than struggle to work out a fight scene when trying to get to the end of the narrative, I'm working out the details now. That way, when writing the script, I can simply focus on the fun stuff (dialogue and pacing). I made the mistake of shrugging off plotholes and errors in the outline thinking I'd just fix them at the scripting stage and when I hit a problem I couldn't solve at the scripting stage, I was in too deep to have any perspective.

I don't know if this approach will be more successful than what I was doing before, but what I was doing before turned out to be rather painful in the end. Writing "Revelation" almost killed me.

Hopefully, this will be an improvement.

Looks like the idea of reviving a series with a few 90 minute movie/episodes is a popular one. Gilmore Girls is being brought back by Netflix, for four 90 minute movies.

No point leaving copyrights you own sitting around if you can get some cash out of them! :-)

They keep bringing back shows that don't really need to be brought back. They never bring back the shows that never really fulfilled their potential or had a chance. Better Off Ted. Lone Star. Even Sliders!

Wow. Just wanted to write a quick message to say that I kinda choked up a little when I happened to stumble across this place. Sliders means a lot to me, and it is really heart warming to see so many fans still keeping the show alive through discussions, articles and new content. I last stumbled here years ago, and it is awesome to see it still around. You guys rock.

Welcome to the community. Stick around and join the discussions!

This is a post about Writing.

So -- in SLIDERS REBORN, the date given for Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo's first slide together is March 22, 1995. That's the day the Pilot aired and "Reprise" and "Reunion" were posted on Earth Prime exactly twenty years to the day of that first airing.

"Reprise" also uses the airdate of "The Seer," February 4, 2000, as the date of that episode's events. March 22 is reiterated in "Revelation" and "Reminiscence." The date is significant to the plot. "Revelation" is all about Quinn's darkest secret, the secret of 1995.

Except I just rewatched the Pilot and the date given in the episode clearly puts the day of the first slide as September 27, 1994.

Whoops.

Um. I've been willing to change my work, as indicated in the previous page of this thread. But this one -- perhaps it's stupid, but I have decided to leave it alone and allow SLIDERS REBORN to converge with the real world in this instance. In my vision of the show, we began our journey with the sliders on the same day they began theirs.

Oddly, there's actually an explanation within the "Reminiscence" interlude novella that accounts for why the date shifted. Anyone noticing the error and awaiting an explanation would receive an answer. One that is completely unintentional and yet unmistakably present.

What an error to make for someone who wants a SLIDERS revival project so much he made his own!

Had a pretty intense story conference earlier with one of the editors on SLIDERS REBORN. There is something very comforting about having your work reviewed by someone who is fundamentally against the story you want to tell and isn't won over by your ability to pastiche Jerry O'Connell's performance. An editor who is suspicious of your story's credibility, purpose and plot elements on every level is an editor who is asking tough questions about potentially glaring issues. Some flaws are acceptable. Like choosing real-world dates over in-universe dates. But some questions must have answers prepared, such as why this character does A and why this character wants B and why are they disagreeing?

It is so much better to engage with these questions when expanding a general outline into a beat sheet rather than to engage with them while writing scenes only to realize questions have been raised and you don't have answers, but you have 111 pages already written that make these questions you're not prepared to address glaring and obvious.

I urge all writers to have their material reviewed by someone predisposed to find fault with it. If you're writing detective novels, show them to someone who can't stand such things. If you're writing romance novels, give them to me for review! And if you're writing continuity-based intrigue based on science fiction plot devices standing in as metaphors for disagreements between fans, have someone who finds that sort of writing silly look over your stuff and challenge what you're doing.

I am jealous.

My brother is one of my primary readers. He will do all of that nitpicking and force me to view my work from different angles. But he has been busy lately, so he hasn't had time to read through all of the books that I'm working on, which is setting back my whole schedule. He just read book 2 of 6, so I can work on that. Hopefully he will be able to get to book 3 quickly.

I have another friend who is very blunt with feedback. He wanted my Strange Fall character to be horribly murdered for her stupidity. But that is also valuable feedback. But he is busy as well.

My whole regular team of readers/editors are busy, so I am making incredibly slow progress.

I am pretty much done with book 1 though. Now I can prep it for publication while I edit the rest. :-)

There was once an entire DOCTOR WHO novel written around the fact that "Revenge of the Cybermen" mentioned 12 moons of Jupiter when there are (I think) 63. Possibly one of the most unnecessary efforts ever to explain a minor discrepancy. I mean, next you'll be writing SLIDERS novels to explain why FOX episodes took place in the wrong order.

And now, the recent episode of DOCTOR WHO has presented an in-universe explanation for why the Twelfth Doctor looks just like a previously-seen guest-star who was played by the same actor. I hand over my Award in Obsessive Geekery Towards Unnecessary Explanations to Steven Moffat and Russell T. Davies; clearly, I can't compete and the better men have won.

ireactions wrote:

I mean, next you'll be writing SLIDERS novels to explain why FOX episodes took place in the wrong order.

Says the guy who earnestly asked me if it mattered that his fanfic started the day the pilot aired instead of the day Quinn slid as established in the pilot. wink

ireactions wrote:

And now, the recent episode of DOCTOR WHO has presented an in-universe explanation for why the Twelfth Doctor looks just like a previously-seen guest-star who was played by the same actor.

Hey - spoilers!

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

Transmodiar wrote:
ireactions wrote:

I mean, next you'll be writing SLIDERS novels to explain why FOX episodes took place in the wrong order.

Says the guy who earnestly asked me if it mattered that his fanfic started the day the pilot aired instead of the day Quinn slid as established in the pilot. wink

I actually did write a novel to explain why the FOX episodes took place in the wrong order. Well. Novella. Let's not go (too) crazy.

It's a very fan-oriented sort of thing. I never expect to see that sort of stuff in an actual TV show!

Transmodiar wrote:

Hey - spoilers!

Oh, it's fine. I didn't say what the explanation actually was or why it comes up. It's fine.

Anyone watching 12 Monkeys? Only caught the first few episodes on a recent binge but really enjoying thus far.

Not just a Movie then?

I think I might need to expand SLIDERS REBORN to six installments.

(That agonized wail in the distance is the voice of the EP.COM webmaster who is terrified at the notion of having to talk through another installment of this series over Google Hangouts instead of doing actual work.)

(Oh relax. I just realized that there's a one-year gap between "Revelation" and "Regenesis" and about five 10-page shorts might be necessary to address the time gap.)

(Anyone want to suggest titles beginning with the letters R and E?)

150 (edited by Informant 2015-10-25 15:32:09)

Repurposed
Repose
Rerun
Relive
Rehash
Reconstitute
Redirect
Remix
Resume
Reassemble
Relish
Reverberate
Recognize
Reset
Recast
Revisit

I did watch some of 12 Monkeys on Syfy's site, but it was glitchy and I couldn't finish it. It was good, but I kept getting pulled out of the story.