Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

The whole Trump experience is exhausting.  I am pretty level headed and have a high tolerance for stupidity so I don't have a problem reading comment sections and going Twitter diving to try and understand what people see.  What drives me the craziest is the backwards logic people are willing to use.

Sleepy Joe.  Biden has dementia.  He's so old.  Trump is also old.  Trump took a dementia test for some reason.  And Trump is constantly golfing, either because he needs to de-stress or because he wasn't working hard in the first place.

Tara Reade.  Biden is a rapist.  Biden is a pedophile.  Trump has a whole wikipedia page devoted to his rape accusations.  He has ties to Epstein.  He regularly dates women decades and decades younger than him.

Biden was VP for 8 years.  Why didn't he fix anything?  Trump is in office *now* and isn't doing anything.

I'm sure Biden isn't a saint.  I'm sure Trump isn't actually the devil.  I'm sure there are anecdotal stories that could make both sound like either.  Sure, Biden could've done more in 40 years of service.  But at the end of the day, he at least knows what he's doing and will hire people who know what they're doing.  I watched the entire Wallace interview, and Trump is just a buffoon.  Even when he's making good points, he's a buffoon.

Two different times, he stopped the interview to fact check something he'd said.  Both times he was wrong.  But something was striking about it - he was *so* convinced he was right.  And both times, he inferred that he was *told something* about it.

It's been said many times that Trump doesn't read his briefings.  It's been surmised as well that Trump could either be illiterate or at least functionally illiterate.  My thought is that a lot of Trump's "lies" are actually things he was told by someone that he believed.  I think Trump likes to hear good news and people tell him good news to keep him in a good mood.  Or he reads it on some conservative site and believes it.

Either way, we need a change.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

What it comes down to is, unfortunately, a lot of Trump supporters aren't stupid. Some of them are brilliant intellects. And they admire Trump declaring what reality is without knowledge, information or awareness and when it's contradiction to reality; they want to behave the same way themselves: to declare themselves right regardless of the facts, to declare themselves above self-correction in response to new information. It isn't foolishness as much as a delusional sense of overinflated ego and admiring the biggest ego on display right now. We underestimate the savage, cruel intelligence of a Trumpist at our peril.

**

Biden is a problematic candidate on many levels. But throughout his career, he's shown the ability to get elected through choosing positions that are blandly triangulative enough to be tolerated by a wide enough variety of people, something he's put to use in working with the Sanders campaign on his electoral platform. He's also been accepting tutelage from Obama and it's clear that he's hiring twentysomething speechwriters; that's why all of his Medium posts and public statements recently have him talking like he's Captain America: thoughtul but commanding, principled but emotional, resolute but open-minded, authoritative but protective. I could easily imagine Chris Evans delivering Biden's recent promise of justice and sanction against electoral interference after he takes office. The campaign is good.

How much does it reflect the man? It's probably a reflection of his best qualities while not in any way presenting his true, complicated self: he's not as progressive as most would hope, he was in favour of mass incarceration bills, he's played fast and loose with campaign financing tricks, he's been vicious on drug users, he was in favour of Iraq despite the obviously faulty intelligence, he supported mass surveillance of Americans -- but he's also shown the ability to shift as circumstances change and people need his help. He is willing to change in response to new information and his vision of the presidency is to preside and delgate.

**

We're looking at a very difficult situation ahead of us. Biden is currently enjoying a double digit lead, but that could tighten. Trump's route to 270 electoral votes is near-impossible, but if the race tightens, it could get close. Close is a problem because the pandemic means the vote count will not be instant; it'll be delayed for at least a week during which, if the election is undecided, Trump could open numerous court challenges to try to block uncounted votes or claim electoral votes where the tallies aren't complete.

Nancy Pelosi remarked of Trump declaring he wouldn't accept the results of the election: "Whether he knows it yet, or not, he will be leaving. Just because he might not want to move out of the White House doesn't mean we won't have an inauguration ceremony to inaugurate a duly elected president of the United States. The presidency is the presidency. It's not geography or location. It has nothing to do with a certain occupant of the White House doesn't feel like moving and has to be fumigated out of there." But for this certainty, the outcome cannot be within a few thousand votes. The Democrats can't just win a few points ahead of Trumpism; it's not a victory unless they put it in the ground.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

What does it say that Trump has to have failed SO badly in managing the COVID-19 crisis for Biden to have any shot unseating him in November?

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

While I don't live in America, a good portion of my income depends on the United States having a stable, reliable government with a thriving population in a strong economy. Under Trump, America is alternatively a war zone or a graveyard. Battlefields and fields of corpses are not conducive to business transactions. Trump has proven completely incapable of managing any hardship, crisis or difficulty. It's in my financial interest that Trump be voted out of office with such an overwhelming electoral defeat that he has no grounds to challenge the results beyond bluster and whining.

I would have preferred that the 2020 election unfold as the (relatively) bloodless culture war of Trumpism versus resurgent progressive Democrats like Andrew Yang. Instead, what we have is a catastrophic country of stormtroopers running amok with no way to prosecute their crimes against civilians and a health crisis where the federal government is stealing medical supplies rather than distributing them and insisting that there is no pandemic and banking on magical thinking to resolve the crisis. At this point, only way a strong federal response to the pandemic, to the recession and to the global tensions can be mounted is if Trump is defeated at the ballot box.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Transmodiar wrote:

What does it say that Trump has to have failed SO badly in managing the COVID-19 crisis for Biden to have any shot unseating him in November?

I know you're down on Biden, but Trump was a long shot to win no matter who his opponent was going to be.  We can argue all day about whether Biden is the worst candidate or a boring candidate, but he's *crushing* Trump.  Trump is going to have to work his ass off to get to 200 electoral votes at this point.  If this was Obama, Trump might struggle to get to 100 electoral votes.

I've said this so many times but the math is the math.  The US has had shifting demographics for a long time, and there just aren't enough white conservatives to justify the GOP's insane "only campaign for whites" agenda.  I live in Texas, which everyone would expect would be Trump country and I don't know one (1) person who would vote for him.  I don't even think I know someone who would lie about it and then vote for him secretly.  Polls in Texas are showing Biden up.  I don't think Biden wins Texas, but the fact that it's even in play shows how much trouble the Republicans are in.  Because if the Democrats have Texas, New York, and California, it's over.  Absolutely over.  And that's not only a real possibility - it's a near certainty.

And we can take a shit on polls all we want and point over and over again to 2016 as the main reason, but 2016 was such an aberration.  Things that are one in a million happen once every million times - it doesn't mean that the percentages were wrong if that one time happens first or fifth or whenever.  Yes, the polls were wrong, but they've never been that wrong before or since.

Trump was so bad his whole presidency that no matter who emerged from the Democratic field, he was going to lose.  That's why every single candidate (Bernie, Warren, Biden, Mayor Pete, Klobuchar, Yang, etc) was polling ahead of Trump.  The math was on their side.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

And we can take a shit on polls all we want and point over and over again to 2016 as the main reason, but 2016 was such an aberration.  Things that are one in a million happen once every million times - it doesn't mean that the percentages were wrong if that one time happens first or fifth or whenever.  Yes, the polls were wrong, but they've never been that wrong before or since.

People are scared to tell anyone they’re voting for Trump, though.  We live in a culture right now where using the wrong pronoun in a sentence might get you fired from your job (not to mention social implications).  The step-mother of the police officer who killed Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta was fired because she married the wrong person - she didn’t even say anything.

Regardless of how badly the polls are skewed, you would think the Democrats would want them to show a razor thin race.  If Biden is shown to be 15 points ahead, you will see Biden voters not worry about donating or voting (especially in a pandemic).  It’s just incredibly unwise to encourage voters to be overconfident and lazy.  That’s part of what lost Hillary her election; she skipped campaign opportunities in places like Wisconsin because she was overconfident those voters were in the bag.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I know you're down on Biden, but Trump was a long shot to win no matter who his opponent was going to be.  We can argue all day about whether Biden is the worst candidate or a boring candidate, but he's *crushing* Trump.  Trump is going to have to work his ass off to get to 200 electoral votes at this point.  If this was Obama, Trump might struggle to get to 100 electoral votes.

Let's not conflate the polls; Biden isn't crushing Trump, TRUMP is crushing himself with his grandstanding and draconian actions. Biden is a complete non-entity who knows that if he just sits things out and doesn't make any major appearances or accept any debates, his vacuum leaves Trump flailing in the wind, damaging himself. If Covid wasn't around Biden would be in terrible shape; he's a bully and a hothead, just not as big of one as our Cheeto-in-Chief.

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

And we can take a shit on polls all we want and point over and over again to 2016 as the main reason, but 2016 was such an aberration.  Things that are one in a million happen once every million times - it doesn't mean that the percentages were wrong if that one time happens first or fifth or whenever.  Yes, the polls were wrong, but they've never been that wrong before or since.

TemporalFlux wrote:

People are scared to tell anyone they’re voting for Trump, though.

After 2016, no Democrat or left-leaning person can look at Biden's double digit lead without having flashbacks to Hillary Clinton's lead and remembering how it evapourated on election night. Polls are, in my view, a broad overview. A potential outcome. Yes, Trump's path to getting his 270 votes is difficult and nearly impossible. Yes, Biden's lead is so high that even if the polls are wrong, he's still on track to victory.

Yes, Trump looks done. But so did Biden a few months ago. Who's to say Trump couldn't experience the same reversal of political fortune? Or that the polls aren't misfiring like they did in 2016 and slanted just enough to see Trump win enough electoral votes even if he lost the popular vote? Is it likely? No. It's not likely. But you can't say it's impossible because it happened once and it could happen again if Democrats and Never Trump voters become complacent and think they're simply entitled to functioning government and take it for granted (again).

Joe Biden wrote:

Ignore the polls. We have work to do.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Transmodiar wrote:

Let's not conflate the polls; Biden isn't crushing Trump, TRUMP is crushing himself with his grandstanding and draconian actions.

Agreed.

Transmodiar wrote:

Biden is a complete non-entity who knows that if he just sits things out and doesn't make any major appearances or accept any debates, his vacuum leaves Trump flailing in the wind, damaging himself.

Letting your opponent implode is a strategy. Obama's campaigns were often about being steady and measured and letting John McCain and Mitt Romney self-destruct on their own.

Transmodiar wrote:

If Covid wasn't around Biden would be in terrible shape; he's a bully and a hothead, just not as big of one as our Cheeto-in-Chief.

I'd agree that historically, Biden has been a twit. How about that time he babbled an invitation to take a stand to a man in a wheelchair or described Barack Obama as "clean" as if to imply black people are generally dirty? But... something seems to have changed. For now.

His campaign is impressive. I'm sure it's less that Biden has always been how his campaign presents him. It's more likely that his doctor prescribed the right psychostimulants or his recent college grad speechwriters have found the right font or his speech therapist has given him some new techniques to master his stutter. But something has clicked in his working with Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren on his platform, in his statements warning Russia of a reckoning, in his declaring that the climate crisis is an opportunity to create jobs, in his warning his own wealthy donors that they won't like his tax policies, in his calling shareholder economy a farce.

Whoever handles his Twitter account has distilled his desired public image into a persona of warmth and understanding and I know it's just a PR campaign, but if he could live up to it, this could be something really special. Crisis can bring out the best and worst in us. The campaign presents Biden as someone who is remaking himself to meet the moment and I like it. But I recognize that it is an ideal, not a reality.

I will resume my former frustration at Joe Biden being the Democrat standard bearer after the election. You won't catch me sharing anecdotes of hearsay about Biden's supposed generosity after the election or screaming "fake news" at any of his critics.

1,310 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2020-07-22 14:42:38)

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

TemporalFlux wrote:

People are scared to tell anyone they’re voting for Trump, though.

Putting a sign in your yard is one thing, but an anonymous poll?  I don't know if there's enough people that trend that way.  And if they did, where would they end up?  Would they go as far as to say they're voting for Biden?  To impress some random pollster?  Or would you say undecided?  Or say they won't vote?  Because Biden is usually winning states by higher than the undecided level of votes.

Are Trump voters screwing with the polls to make it look like Biden is going to win?  Maybe.  But I also don't see the point in that.  Because voter suppression works the other way.  Why would fiscal conservatives that don't like Trump that much bother going to vote if he's going to get crushed?  You'd only hold your nose and vote if you thought it would matter.  Sure, the hardcore MAGAs will go no matter what, but how many of those people are there?

Transmodiar wrote:

If Covid wasn't around Biden would be in terrible shape; he's a bully and a hothead, just not as big of one as our Cheeto-in-Chief.

I absolutely agree that Biden isn't doing much to gain votes, but Biden was winning before this all started.  So was Bernie.  So was Warren.  So was Mayor Pete.  So was Yang.  They were all winning.  "Vote Blue no matter who" was and still is in full force.  So whether it was Biden or Popeye or Tony Soprano or John Kerry or Liz Warren or or whoever, the result was trending the same way.

Can it turn around?  Sure.  Can Biden mess it up?  Absolutely.  But Biden has so many things going for him. The one (1) thing that Trump can brag about is the economy, and it's only going to get worse.  Covid isn't going to get better no matter how much he decides to flip-flop on masks.  The school thing can only backfire on him (if nothing happens, he won't get enough points - if anything goes wrong, it torpedoes him with the middle class).  And Trump isn't going to be able to get the level of crazy momentum he got from rallies because people are going to be just as hesitant to show up as they were in Tulsa.  Biden has BLM rallying for his cause, and Obama is already more active for him than he was for Hillary so I would expect the black vote to be back in play (which helps him in Michigan and Pennsylvania).

Yes, Trump is losing more than Biden is winning.  But ireactions is right, this is the strategy that anyone would've taken.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Five Thirty Eight's explanation for why Hillary lost in 2016 despite all the polling: the race tightened shortly before the election. Hillary was only ahead of Trump by 3.3 points -- but polls are generally off by 2 - 4 points that are conceivably in either direction, meaning Trump could have been (and was) slightly ahead. Five Thirty Eight also points out that Biden has a much bigger lead on Trump than Clinton ever had, 9 - 15 points ahead, which would require a much bigger polling error than even in 2016. Right now, it looks good. But right now is not November.

**

Five Thirty Eight says that there is little evidence for secret Trump voters being widespread. They may exist to a degree, but not significantly. If there were, the polls would have underestimated Trump's support in deep blue areas. This wasn't the case; blue state polls overestimated Trump's voters. Trump's supporters turned out to have been most underestimated in usually Republican states. There was only a 1- 2 per cent gap, not enough to significantly affect results. Trump's upset was due to Hillary's lead eroding to being within the margin of error. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q68gy2ZvuPM

I would welcome this being debunked if it's wrong.

1,312

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

https://twitter.com/nick_ramsey/status/ … 9940897800

Trump attempts to explain how he passed his "cognitive test," making me feel like the principal at the end of Billy Madison.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

I'll put that clip up against any Sleepy Joe video the MAGAs want to throw at him.  I don't think Trump has dementia, but I don't have any idea why he was given that test.  Maybe he asked for it and his doctors gave it to him for a laugh.  If it wasn't a real test, we know that Trump wasted at least (per him) 30 minutes to an hour messing around with a meaningless test.  If it was real, he's either showing symptoms of dementia, Alzheimers or Parkinsons.

1,314 (edited by ireactions 2020-07-23 13:57:52)

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Obama and Biden, sitting on opposite sides of a room, having entered separately in masks, talking about public service in the face of crisis.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1286300138239979527

Beautiful. But it's left-wing propaganda, of course. Just because the propaganda is on my 'side' and calculated to my sentiments, morals and values doesn't mean I should fail to recognize it for what it is.

**

I'm supporting Biden in this election as best I can (as a Canadian) because there's a crisis and we're on the same side. In recent months, I also supported Doug Ford, the premier of my province (basically a Canadian equivalent of a state governor) because we were in a crisis.

Premier Ford, a far right conservative and basically a Canadian version of Donald Trump, proved himself unlike Trump with COVID-19. Ford had the sense to shut his stupid mouth during the height of the pandemic and speak only after public health officials, hospital managers, protective gear manufacturers and federal advisors had fed him the information he was to deliver and the guidance he was to provide.

Now that my province's economy is slowly, slowly reopening, I will resume my usual position of writing angry messages to Premier Ford's office about how he's ending extended benefits to low income workers who were laid off or furloughed, how he's making it easier for landlords to evict tenants and how his insistence on having individual cities set up their mask mandates is cowardice and how his extending his emergency powers is plainly a political grab.

I look forward to resuming my former position of frustration, irritation and dismay with Grandpa Biden after the election. I would rather be contending with him than with Trump.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

If Biden wins, it'll be up to a lot of people to hold him to any progressive ideals he's discussed.  Even if they're not in his cabinet or administration, he's going to need to listen to all the progressives that have helped him get elected.  A man of his age in whatever health he's in is going to need a lot of help, and I'd like to see his administration full of young and diverse people looking to make positive change and undo any harm Trump has done.  We may not expect Biden to get a lot of change done himself, but people he hires can absolutely help.

1,316

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Biden would be hamstrung by a GOP Senate, even if a minority, that would refuse pretty much anything he or Pelosi/Schumer were to propose.  Bernie, Warren, Pete, Harris, Amy, all would have the same roadblock.  The GOP simply isn't interested in government-based social programs, such as child care, education, public healthcare option, etc.  Bernie couldn't get most Democrats to sign his 10% cut to the DoD in order to fund other priorities.  The lobbyists are too strong. 

Ted Cruz is the front runner they say for 2024.  He just said Americans are stuck at home and depressed so they'll vote for Biden.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1286020941672153089

As for Trump, this article really hits the nail on the head.  Trump is simply a man devoid of a soul, constantly bitter, with nothing that interests him besides making people's lives miserable.  He is only guided by the grudges he holds.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi … ty/614434/

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Change doesn't only have to come from Congress.  Change can simply come about from rejoining the Paris Accords.  Helping shift the country towards cleaner energy.  Working with our allies on pandemic prevention and response.  Stuff like that is easily done from the executive branch.  Trump has done next to nothing legislation-wise, but we've still felt the impact of his presidency.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Biden anticipates a slim Senate majority that will require eliminating the filibuster to enact his legislation.

1,319

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Change doesn't only have to come from Congress.  Change can simply come about from rejoining the Paris Accords.  Helping shift the country towards cleaner energy.  Working with our allies on pandemic prevention and response.  Stuff like that is easily done from the executive branch.  Trump has done next to nothing legislation-wise, but we've still felt the impact of his presidency.

Trump has no concept of government, which is why every cue he takes is from the playbook of Pinochet, Castro, Putin, etc.  And yes, Biden would almost certainly reverse most all of Trump's executive orders quite quickly.

ireactions wrote:

Biden anticipates a slim Senate majority that will require eliminating the filibuster to enact his legislation.

I don't think he supports that, but it's not up to him anyway. 

Much of what happens in 2021 IMO will depend on what the GOP refuses to include in the CV stimulus they're currently arguing among themselves about.  The Democratic House bill is $3 trillion but provides funding to just about everything. The GOP draft plan does not.  You're likely to see massive layoffs from state workers, in addition to all the people who've lost jobs in the private sector already, due to completely dead industries.  Those people will be legit homeless by then, especially since the GOP plan does nothing to stop evictions.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Trump's only path to victory is to make incredibly big improvements across the board by November.  Improvements in the economy, in jobs, in housing, in healthcare.  He might need to completely end the Pandemic by November if he wants to win.

Since he doesn't know how to do any of that...

What's funny is that Trump's best chance was to do his job well, and he still couldn't do that.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

I've been reading The Bulwark, a site of centrist-conservative columnists (as opposed to Trumpists). They've written two articles on Trump's chances that I've found soothing -- https://thebulwark.com/the-2020-cake-is-almost-baked/ and https://thebulwark.com/newsletter-issue … ds-really/

Their columns point out: most polls have a 2 - 4 per cent margin of error. Trump's 2016 surprise victory was won with a slight edge over Clinton -- about 3.3 per cent -- which was within the range of polling error.

The Bulwark advises that people like me stop being haunted by 2016 and simply look at the objective numbers which are that Trump is grossly unpopular, Biden is 15 points ahead and was six points ahead before the pandemic, Trump has been unable to offer a coherent argument for a second term -- and also, November 3 isn't very far away.

Could there be an October surprise? No. There couldn't. At this point, Donald Trump has been oversaturating the media with his presence for 40 years. At this point, Joe Biden has been a politician for 40 years. We're not going to learn anything about them between now and November 3 that is going to change anybody's mind about them -- so the terror of a 2016 upset is residual trauma with no basis in actual reality.

That sounds good to me, so I'll move on to my next anxiety -- how will Trump exploit the 1 - 2 weeks where we won't actually know who won the election? How will Trump try to use his willingness to throw federal agents into cities to harass and tear gas civilians and, at times, city mayors? Politico says that election day and the weeks to follow could be a disaster for voting, voters and counting votes: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ … orm-372778

1,322

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

It doesn't matter what stunt Trump pulls.  He's lost on nearly EVERY single one.  Each time he tries to go beyond the law, tries to subvert the Constitution, institutions have checked him.  The only one which has protecting him were the GOP Senate, because they wished to retain their majority.  That's over with now, he's radioactive and they are quickly running for the exits.  Plus they can't save him.  Too many of the "swing states" are governed by Democrats (WI, MI, PA).  What is he going to try to do, sue in a half dozen states if he's losing?  On what basis?  There will be parties in the streets all over the news.  Many Republican hardcore insiders have said if Trump cannot turn things around in a perceivable way in the next few weeks, he's toast.  His convention plans are now completely destroyed.  Biden and the DNC have their slate I'm sure largely worked out what they'll broadcast.  The RNC do not know what to do, or where to even have their delegates.  Charlotte and Jacksonville have both kicked them out.  I'm still not ruling out that Donny throws his hands up at some point, and says F this.

1,323 (edited by ireactions 2020-07-24 19:44:07)

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Well, I've said before -- I almost hope Trump will receive a crushing defeat in November and then refuse to leave office, refuse to vacate the White House and refuse to accept the results. I hope January 20 comes and then Trump calls for the US Army to surround the White House to prevent Biden's entry only for them to explain that they're not incurring treason charges for an ex-president and hang up on him. That he demands the Secret Service circle the Oval Office only for them to leave too except for the small detail that remains for a former president. That he forces the officer with the nuclear codes to stay only to realize all the codes have now expired. That he calls for his followers (incels, men's rights activists, Informant, Independent American Party lunatics) to protect him only to find they're disinclined to stand between Trump and the National Guard descending upon the White House.

I almost hope that Trump be yanked out from behind the Resolute Desk by guardsmen and marched out of the building and past Nancy Pelosi who doesn't even glance in his direction. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 … leave.html

But I don't really hope that because I really think America would do better with a peaceful transfer of power.

Barack Obama wrote:

If there's one thing we've learned as a country from moments of great crisis, it's that the spirit of looking out for one another can't be restricted to our homes, or our workplaces, or our neighborhoods, or our houses of worship.

It also has to be reflected in our national government. The kind of leadership that's guided by knowledge and experience, honesty and humility, empathy and grace -- that kind of leadership doesn't just belong in our state capitols and mayors offices.

It belongs in the White House.

Republicans occupying the White House and running the US Senate are not interested in progress. They’re interested in power. They’ve shown themselves willing to kick millions off the health insurance and eliminate preexisting condition protections for millions more. Even in the middle of this public health crisis, even as they’re willing to spend $1 trillion on tax cuts for the wealthy, they’ve given polluters unlimited power to poison our air and our water and denied the science of climate change just as they denied the science of pandemics.

So our country’s future hangs on this election, and it won’t be easy. The other side has a massive war chest. The other side has a propaganda network with little regard for the truth. On the other hand, pandemics have a way of cutting through a lot of noise and spin to remind us of what is real and what is important.

This crisis has reminded us that government matters. It’s reminded us that good government matters, that facts and science matter, that the rule of law matters. That having leaders who are informed and honest and seek to bring people together rather than drive them apart. Those kinds of leaders matter.

Right now we need Americans of goodwill to unite in a great awakening against a politics that too often has been characterized by corruption, carelessness, self dealing, disinformation, ignorance and just plain meanness. And to change that, we need Americans of all political stripes, to get involved in our politics and our public life like never before.

1,324 (edited by Grizzlor 2020-07-24 21:00:16)

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Well ol' Barry speaks the truth.  The problem for Trump is that campaign rhetoric has really been absent as a result of the pandemic, economic collapse, and BLM protests.  He can't go on the road and start babbling off to his supporters, both due to the pandemic, and more importantly, nobody will be there to listen out of shear boredom.  There will be an onslaught online, but many forums like Twitter, Reddit, Google/YouTube, etc. have been clamping down on it.  Facebook of course remains the wild west.  Then you have the Lincoln Project, Meidas Touch, RVAT, VoteVets, etc., etc. all aligned against him and the GOP.  That's not even considering what the DNC will do with ads and outreach.

Meanwhile Trump continues to make the wrong headlines, worsening his political standing with anyone who doesn't have his MAGA yard sign.  All he has are fearmongering tactics.  I've read multiple Republican accounts outside the campaign, who are flabbergasted that he has zero, repeat, zero platform for the "next four years."  What is he selling?  Shouldn't that be a top consideration?  This law and order nonsense will not work out as he hopes.  Meanwhile people's livelihoods have been decimated.  I expect a fully divisive, rambling, incoherent convention speech from him.  I expect a debate disaster where he's repeatedly fact checked and hammered on the head by Biden for "quitting on the American people." 

This guy has become the flashpoint on just about everything.  Violent protests, coronavirus surges, Russian bounties, massive unemployment, I could go on and on.  Even when he shouldn't be in the middle of it, he keeps interjecting himself, misguiding his supporters and haters to take stupid sides and go to war.  I do not see a silent majority of MAGA out there at all, MAGA is loud and whiny and belligerent.  No I believe there's a silent majority of disgust AT MAGA.  A reckoning is coming.  Again, he'll leave, trust me.  If he loses as many predict, Trump will be on the golf courses by Thanksgiving.  I'd say he'd reappear for Inauguration but he won't want to be seen with Obama.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Grizzlor wrote:

This guy has become the flashpoint on just about everything.  Violent protests, coronavirus surges, Russian bounties, massive unemployment, I could go on and on.  Even when he shouldn't be in the middle of it, he keeps interjecting himself, misguiding his supporters and haters to take stupid sides and go to war.

I agree with this.

But to be fair, I think we also inject Trump into everything.  I follow a very select few of what I consider to be reasonable people who are truly conservative/Republicans that are wary of (but not fully against or fully supportive) Trump.  I do this because I feel like I need to at least understand where these people are coming from.  In the age of "block everyone who disagrees with you", I try to at least be educated so I don't start believing that everyone agrees with me.  I think that's how radicalization happens.

And these people get frustrated because people make everything about Trump.  Does he suck?  Yes.  Is he doing a terrible job?  Yes.  But I think we too often drag him into situations that he doesn't belong.  For example, there was a widely circulated video of a great lightning strike behind the Statue of Liberty.  That quickly devolved into Trump.  Trump didn't say anything about it (or maybe he did, I don't follow him) and the event itself had nothing to do with Trump.  And the conservatives I follow were exhausted by the idea that a cool weather shot ended up getting political.  I know there's symbolism there, but I think we need to be enjoying moments that Trump isn't affecting and not making *more* things about him.

The sad thing for us is that I think Trump is actually trying.  Covid is going terrible for him, and unlike BLM, there's no political reason for him to handle it the way he is.  I just think he's in over his head and has no idea what he's doing, and he's surrounded himself with sycophants that don't know what they're doing.  So it's just this circular disaster that he can't pull his way out of.

Biden, for his faults, at least has an inkling of what he's doing.  But more importantly, he can surround himself with people who know what they're doing.  And he's capable of replacing people who don't.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Trump isn't trying. He cancelled his convention because it was clear that no one would attend. He has still taken no direct action to produce protective equipment and supplies or provide a federal response plan or to enact social distancing and use of masks. He has recommended untested drugs, suggested injecting bleach, insisted that the virus will go away on its own even when it's topped 140,000 deaths. He is unwilling to do anything about the pandemic because its mere existence reflects on him poorly and disrupts his delusional world of magical thinking.

Biden has declared that he will not pardon Trump for any crimes committed in office. It's likely that in 2021, a newly appointed attorney general will mount a series of investigations into Trump. He can be charged with criminally negligent manslaughter for his refusal to do his duty, for his insistence on claiming a global pandemic is a hoax against him. He can be charged for campaign finance law violations, for his obstruction of justice in the Mueller probe, and for treason in ignoring Russia setting bounties on American soldiers and attempting to extort Ukraine into providing opposition research on Biden. In the event of an electoral defeat, Trump's immunity to prosecution expires at noon on January 20, 2021, a day he is undoubtedly dreading.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

ireactions wrote:

Trump isn't trying. He cancelled his convention because it was clear that no one would attend. He has still taken no direct action to produce protective equipment and supplies or provide a federal response plan or to enact social distancing and use of masks. He has recommended untested drugs, suggested injecting bleach, insisted that the virus will go away on its own even when it's topped 140,000 deaths. He is unwilling to do anything about the pandemic because its mere existence reflects on him poorly and disrupts his delusional world of magical thinking.

I think he's trying.  I just don't think he knows what he's doing.  All the people in his circle don't know what they're doing.  His son-in-law is in charge of everything, and he has no qualifications.

If he didn't care, he wouldn't have worn a mask.  He wouldn't have gone through with the shutdown.  He wouldn't have done anything.  But he's done enough to show that he's trying but hasn't done nearly enough because he's confused.

In the event of an electoral defeat, Trump's immunity to prosecution expires at noon on January 20, 2021, a day he is undoubtedly dreading.

More reason to think he'll find somewhere to take asylum, and that's where he'll be election night.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Trump's entire staff and entourage are constantly tested, so his wearing a mask is more basic self preservation than any act of decency. And he knows what to do: he went into office with a pandemic playbook, pandemic training, a pandemic office, all left by an Obama administration knowing it was the next threat. He had a phone call with Biden who reminded him that presidents can mandate production of protective equipment and tests. Yet, Trump persists in not doing his job. He's only interested in the attention and notoriety of his role. He is actively trying to prevent increased testing and reporting to reduce the reported cases without regard for the infected. He tried to cut health care during this pandemic. Trump and his enablers view government public service as something to loot and have no intention of serving.

1,329 (edited by Grizzlor 2020-07-25 21:16:41)

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Trump has most certainly NOT been trying.  He made meaningless gestures like enacting the DPA on auto makers to make ventilator parts, but they were already in the process of doing so.  He tried to have everyone take hydroxychloroquine, which continues to be shot down by study after study.  He has spent billions on his vaccine Warp Speed, which won't help anyone for at least a year.  Yes, he signed the stimulus bills, okay, big deal.  Did you expect him to veto???

He insisted on reopening when the data screamed NO.  He has until last week refused to suggest people to wear masks.  He became bored of the pandemic.  He's lazy, he didn't want to hear the bad news anymore, and as Biden snipes, he "quit."  There are people who KNOW how to deal with an epidemic, but he fired or ignored them all.

Now, most countries have somewhat failed on this virus, that's obvious.  The few that continue to "succeed" are mostly in Asia, or are islands.  They have no travel going in or out, and their economies are largely stymied.  They live in a state of constant vigilance.  It might be working for the time being but it's sure as heck no fun.  Trump's administration gambled this virus would, as he said, vanish during the summer.  They figured an economy that was back up running even at 2/3 or 3/4 steam would seal his re-election.  He does not care about the casualties from this pandemic, none in the least.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

You guys are all assuming that Trump is capable in any way.  He's not.  I think he's tried and failed a ton.  I don't think he intentionally allowed any of his business ventures to fail - I think he likes to win and winning means success. 

The problem is that he is incapable.  It isn't that he's not trying.  It's that he's trying and failing.  He gets bad information from bad sources, and everyone around him has either been fired or sucks as bad as he does.  I think he absolutely wants his presidency to be a success.  He wants to be the best.  He wants to be re-elected.  He just doesn't have any idea how to do any of that.

Again, look back at the Wallace interview.  He legitimately thought that he US had the lowest mortality rate in the world.  No one who knows they're wrong would insist on bringing up the data.  If you get caught in a lie, you don't demand proof.  You move on.  He didn't which means he believed the lie.

I think he doesn't know how to work.  He doesn't know how anything works.  He doesn't understand the problem and so he has no means of fixing it.  So he asks someone dumb like Jared Kushner to fix it for him.  And they either come up with nothing or some ridiculous plan that won't work.  And then he asks Jared for a status update and Jared either lies or makes something up.  And Trump buys it.  When someone says that he's failing, someone tells him that it's fake news.

Imagine that you woke up onboard a Russian nuclear submarine.  Sirens are going off, lights are flashing, and you're all alone.  You get a message that says the submarine is speeding toward a trench and they won't be able to save you unless you turn it around.  You look around and see a bunch of buttons with characters in Russian.  You don't know what any of the buttons do.

If you die, it isn't because you weren't trying.  It will be a failure on your part, but you were way in over your head.  You might pray that someone saves you.  You might frantically press buttons hoping something will work.  You might just sit back and accept your fate. 

And maybe the radio keeps popping up and saying you're doing a great job.  Maybe a button you press turns off the sirens and the lights even though you're still in danger.  You would have no idea.  You're Trump.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

As I’ve mentioned previously, my mom watches these things and then shows them to me.  She doesn’t have a lot in life since my dad died, so I humor her; and we talk about them giving my perspective on what it means which is usually different from her.

The latest video making the rounds is linked below.  I will preface this by saying that I do not believe this man is a prophet.  I think he’s fairly well read and informed, and his dreams are his subconscious unpacking the information he’s collected into his personal logical conclusions.

https://444prophecynews.com/brace-yours … overstone/

Starting with the September dream, I think the school thing is obvious to anyone.  Schools won’t re-open or either they’ll re-open in August only to close after a few weeks due to a massive spike in virus numbers.

The part about the banks is being misinterpreted, I believe.  It could be massive inflation, but I think it’s more likely that the vision signifies implementation of negative interest rates (something Trump has been itching to do for awhile).  Negative interest rates, as their name implies, would force the banks to give out interest (bonus money) to people who take loans; and in turn, stimulate the economy by encouraging people to take out debt.  That “new” money then gets injected into the economy keeping afloat businesses, rental properties, etc.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/i … s-work.asp

But the dark side to this is that it would cause you to lose money if you have it in a savings account in a bank.  For instance, let’s say you have a million dollars in the bank, and you’ve been making ten thousand a year in interest.  With negative rates, you could now be *losing* ten thousand a year if you left it in the bank.

So what’s the man’s dream trying to say?  The roofs being ripped off banks and money flying out.  An action of force causing things to happen the bank wouldn’t want.  September could see a run on the banks as happened at the start of the Great Depression - get your money out before you have to start paying the bank to keep it there.

When this happened in the Great Depression, banks collapsed.  Banks never carry enough money to make good on everybody’s claim if everybody made their claim at the same time; so people couldn’t get their money if they were slow to act.  Their money was just gone.  Remember the bank in “It’s a Wonderful Life”?  That’s what happens except we probably now don’t have that nice, understanding community that George had then.

The November dream is also tricky.  Many are interpreting it to mean that Trump will lose, but I think it means Trump will win or claim to win.  These past few months, we’ve already seen what can happen if passionate flames are stoked, but a Trump victory would turn the dial up to eleven.  This really isn’t about Republicans and Democrats, though - it’s about both manipulating circumstances to get what they want.

The U.N. appearing in the dream?  What could they possibly show up for?  Claims of election interference with both halves of a government saying the other is illegitimate.  Couple this with massive unrest, and the request for help by one half of the US government could invite the U.N. and other countries to intervene.  The world gets to decide which side they think is legitimate and throw in their support.  It’s not an invasion - it’s aid.   Or at least it can be sold that way.

I don’t think the man who had these dreams is a prophet; but I can see how things could easily go down a dark, sideways path.  And to those who say impossible - how much of the past few months did you really think would ever happen?  Anything’s possible. Brace yourself.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

I can't speak to the banking concerns. For the election, I'd brace myself as counting will be delayed by 7 - 14 days at minimum. Trump will use that somehow.

But a lot of the terror that Trump will somehow mount a surprise resurgence to victory is, as The Bulwark pointed out, residual trauma from 2016. There was no silent majority of Trump voters in 2016, just the normal margin of polling error in key states that worked in Trump's favour. This anxiety that what happened in 2016 will happen in 2020 isn't based in objectively observing the numbers and situation which are that Biden was ahead of Trump before the failed lockdowns and is so far ahead now that even a polling error against Biden wouldn't see Trump win again. James Carville Jr. predicted a "Democratic wipeout" that I found arrogant; it now looks plausible.

The fear that Trump will lose the election, claim himself the winner and refuse to leave is also not based in the facts: the military will not take orders from a former president, his security clearances and authorizations will expire, his appointees will be dismissed and his commands will be ignored.

The real danger is that Trump will exploit the delayed results and that will somehow create a situation in his favour despite his perpetual ineptitude and incompetence.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Congresswoman Debbie Dingell says that the polls are wrong. "I don’t believe that Biden is 16 points up in Michigan; that’s a bullshit poll," says Dingell, "and it’s the same people who said Hillary had it in the bag. I worry about polling suppressing votes. I don’t want anybody to think their vote doesn’t matter. I’m seeing lots of Trump signs start to pop up. There are some very complicated issues that Trump is playing to divide this country. He is energizing his base, and we have to energize ours."

NYMag, however, argues that Dingell is voicing trauma from 2016 and not reviewing the numbers objectively, noting that the 2016 polls merely reflected how they cannot predict an outcome if the two candidates are very close with the distance between them falling into normal polling margins of error (which Clinton and Trump were). The polls weren't that wrong, but the conclusions from the polls should have been that it would be a close election, not that Hillary was certain to win because Trump is ridiculous. In addition, Biden's lead is so much larger that he wins even if the polls are wrong; voters in 2016 who disliked both candidates went or Trump or third-party. In 2020, voters who dislike both candidates are, like me, tolerating Biden. https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07 … -2016.html

Vox, however however, observes that polling will not be able to evaluate voter turnout under pandemic conditions. https://www.vox.com/2020/7/27/21324440/ … nnsylvania

1,334

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Some polls are just plain bad, in both directions.  I would focus on things like the RCP (Real Clear Politics) average.  Take Michigan for instance, where polls range from +6 to +12, and RCP's formulated avg. is 8.4.  I ignore that number, instead check out the % for each candidate.  Biden is at 49.6, Trump is at 41.2.  Biden is literally polling at 50%, with TEN 10% of the poll undecided. 

Now, there's a margin of error and maybe some people lie to pollsters, whatever.  There's a second consideration, which is vital.  There are no moderately known 3rd party choices this year, none.  I have no clue who the Libertarian or Green Parties will nominate.  It doesn't matter, they're nobodies, similar to 2008 or 2012 most recently.  That is quite important, because that makes it even more of a binary choice.  For argument's sake, there's 7% undecided in MI avg polling.  Let's give Donny an edge 4-3, and say Biden really is favored around 52-45 there.  So you mean to tell me voter suppression, lying to pollsters, whatever, will erase a SEVEN point edge?  I'm sorry, that simply does not happen. 

Clinton's RCP lead in MI was around 4% for most of the time, but that's with a significant 3rd draw to Johnson and Stein of nearly 7%.  Hillary/3rd party's lost 4% in the final results, with Trump moving up 5.5%.  A big chunk of people either did not bother to vote for Hillary or opted at the last juncture to say eff it and voted for Trump.  The state's electoral results since 2016 have been a 180, totally against Trump/GOP.  That's one state, but there's a consistent scenario in many other states which Biden currently holds leads in. 

Trump has begun to attempt to act like he's serious about the CV-19 and whatnot.  Here's his problem.  He needs to keep that up for nearly THREE months without unleashing utter nonsense during briefings.  The cancellation of the campaign tour is obviously a big help to gaffe-prone Biden, but it's also a plus for Trump.  There's fewer chances for him to go lunatic in a speech since he's got no crowd in front of him expecting red meat.  My prediction is his convention speech is a complete meltdown of vitriol, and that's basically the end of the campaign right there, well before any debate meltdowns.

1,335

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

I have no clue who the Libertarian or Green Parties will nominate

Clearly, since they've both already had their conventions and announced their candidates; Dr. Jo Jorgensen for the Libertarians and Howie Hawkins for the Greens.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Grizzlor wrote:

Biden is at 49.6, Trump is at 41.2.  Biden is literally polling at 50%, with TEN 10% of the poll undecided.

I think there are no undecideds.  In my opinion, the undecideds on these polls know exactly who they're voting for.  If anything, these are the people that are either a) Trump voters who are embarrassed to say they support Trump and b) Bernie Bros and progressives who are too stubborn to admit that they're voting Biden.

I'm sure there's a portion of the population trying to decide which cartoon character they're going to vote for, but at the end of the day, I don't think anyone that's going to vote for Trump or Biden is still deciding.  I think the vast majority of people decided four years ago and nothing that happened in the last four years will impact.

If you think I'm wrong, ask yourself what it would take for you to change your vote between now and November.

1,337

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

The undecideds aren't choosing between Trump & Biden.  It's Biden or smaller party.  Or Biden or don't bother.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Trump tweeted a video of Stella Immanuel advising failed drugs and not wearing masks. Stella Immanuel has also declared that government is run by lizards and that gynaecology problems are due to women having sex with witches and demons in their dreams.

Oh, Trump. Truly the Informant of all presidents.

1,339

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:
Grizzlor wrote:

Biden is at 49.6, Trump is at 41.2.  Biden is literally polling at 50%, with TEN 10% of the poll undecided.

I think there are no undecideds.  In my opinion, the undecideds on these polls know exactly who they're voting for.  If anything, these are the people that are either a) Trump voters who are embarrassed to say they support Trump and b) Bernie Bros and progressives who are too stubborn to admit that they're voting Biden.

I'm sure there's a portion of the population trying to decide which cartoon character they're going to vote for, but at the end of the day, I don't think anyone that's going to vote for Trump or Biden is still deciding.  I think the vast majority of people decided four years ago and nothing that happened in the last four years will impact.

If you think I'm wrong, ask yourself what it would take for you to change your vote between now and November.

I agree with you, though you I actually explained that in my post!  Most undecided's just don't bother to vote at all.  It's true, some don't really want either guy, but there's a massive number who don't want Trump but they want to have another option.  Biden's campaign from day one was to be that "other guy."

pilight wrote:

The undecideds aren't choosing between Trump & Biden.  It's Biden or smaller party.  Or Biden or don't bother.

Those people simply won't vote at all.

ireactions wrote:

Trump tweeted a video of Stella Immanuel advising failed drugs and not wearing masks. Stella Immanuel has also declared that government is run by lizards and that gynaecology problems are due to women having sex with witches and demons in their dreams.

Oh, Trump. Truly the Informant of all presidents.

In the press conference he said he liked her voice, but knew nothing about her.  Aka the Col. Klink defense!

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

ireactions wrote:

...and that gynaecology problems are due to women having sex with witches and demons in their dreams.

https://www.einerd.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/lucifer-crise-nas-infinitas-terras-e1576151021989-890x464.jpg

1,341 (edited by ireactions 2020-07-29 09:09:59)

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Informant is a men's rights activist. To be accurate, he insisted that he was not a men's rights activist, but he encouraged viewership of THE RED PILL, a men's rights activist documentary about how women exploit their victimhood to take advantage of men and the documentary and supported by prominent men's rights activists like Paul Elam (who writes long essays about how women who wear revealing clothing deserve to be raped).

As much as I'd like to laugh at this and move on, it has become very clear that the men's rights activist movement and incel culture (involuntary celibates who have the same views as men's rights activists) have propelled its members towards hate crimes and murders. Two years ago, a lunatic incel named Alek Minassian rented a van and started running over pedestrians. He did it in my neighbourhood a few blocks from my home.

He murdered 10 people and injured 16 -- because apparently, he felt that the best response to not getting any dates was to attack innocents with a vehicle and get thrown in jail. He was angry because women in the world and who passed through his life were not sufficiently servile and submissive. In February, a teenaged incel and men's rights activist in my city stabbed a woman in a massage parlour for refusing to have sex with him. In May, incel and men's rights activist Armando Hernandez shot up opened fire at mall shoppers in Glendale, Arizona  and streamed it on Snapchat, angry that women wouldn't date him.

Most recently, in New Jersey, we have Roy Den Hollander, another angry, self-identified men's right activist who broke into the home of federal judge Esther Salas and shot and murdered Daniel Anderl, Salas' 20 year old son. Hollander joined the movement after his marriage to a Russian mail order bride ended in divorce. He wrote angry, semi-autobiographical novellas expressing hatred towards women who were not sufficiently subservient to him. He filed numerous lawsuits against nightclubs for ladies nights and against Columbia University for having a women's studies program. He wrote angry editorials on men's rights websites calling for men to take up arms against women. He was angry with Salas' work on one of his frivolous lawsuits and charged into her home with a gun, murdered her son and then shot himself.

My country is declaring that assaults and murders from men motivated by hatred of women will be charged and tried as acts of terrorism. The International Centre for Counter-Terrorism has identified male supremacist terrorism as a rising threat.

Now, is my old sparring partner likely to pick up a rifle and start shooting at random people because he subscribes to men's rights activist beliefs? No idea, certainly hope not -- but I want it on the record that I recognize that we had in our midst someone who supports and spreads the dogma of what is now recognized as a terrorist movement. The time to be contemptuously amused by men's rights activists is over.

It can no longer be dismissed, ignored, forgotten, set aside or go unremarked upon. It must be identified, called out, confronted and condemned. Practitioners of these violent beliefs must be noted, reported and prevented from harming others and charged if they do to make it clear that civilization will not tolerate their monstrosity.

These aren't just aggrieved men with poor social skills. These men subscribe to a belief system that inspires random and savage murder because they are being denied the ability to treat women as possessions to be taken at will. And one of them murdered people on my doorstep because women recognized his toxic personality and wisely steered clear of him.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

You know, it is interesting.  The next Federal Reserve meeting is September 15 and 16.  If negative interest rates were to be implemented, that’s the last chance before the election.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Calendar marked. Let's keep watch.

**

William Barr appeared before Congress and his obvious dedication to acting as Trump's personal fixer while claiming he serves the country when he only serves his client is outrageous.

Biden has infuriated me since I was old enough to read a newspaper, but in this recent cycle, he keeps saying what I want to hear. "The attorney general is not the president's lawyer," Biden declared. "The attorney general is the people's lawyer." Asked whether he'd pardon Trump for any crimes committed in office, Biden replied, "It's hands off completely."

**

It is foolish to have too much faith in a politician. Whether Biden makes true change or will remain a centrist isn't even really up to him; it depends on whether or not Democrats can gain a Senate majority and then eliminate the filibuster. But I read Biden's climate change plan, listened to his speech on how America can "Build Back Better" and -- it brought tears to my eyes to hear this 78 year old man declare that America can protect the planet and prosper economically and that the path to creating eco-renewing infrastructure, zero-pollution energy, ecologically sound homes and clean energy by 2035 will bring Americans good wages with a solid standard of living -- I mean, I know it's not his plan.

I know that it's the work of many, many economists and ecologists and activists. But it is a good plan because it speaks to both the need to save our world and the need to earn a living; "Build Back Better" is inspiring because it declares that both needs can be treated as one and the same; that we can save ourselves and get a satisfactory paycheque from living up to our responsibilities. It inspires me. Presenting environmental efforts as both a winning both as an ecological and an economical proposition -- yes. This is America. This is what America is supposed to be. I don't even live in America and I'm proud that this country would produce this plan.

But Biden has to win first. And he has to win huge and get the Senate on his side. I'm worried that Barr will use his federal mercenaries to interfere with the election. I'm almost certain he will.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Trump tweeted inferring that he'd delay the election.  Something the Constitution is fairly clear that he cannot do.  It's a very desperate move that shows he knows he doesn't stand much of a chance.  It's looking very bad for him in Florida, and if he loses Florida, he essentially needs to win Arizona, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin.  He's losing all those states too.

Trump's best chance is to hack into the election records and physically change votes.  I don't think there was any evidence of that in 2016.  He can stifle mail in voting and throw out voter eligibility, but it would need to be on a massive scale (10-15% of the total voters in the country).  And it would need to be vastly more successful than anything he's been able to pull off in the last four years.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

White House staffers have anonymously revealed that there has been no administrative preparation to try to change the date of the election. Republican House and Senate members have either uniformly rejected the idea that Congress will attempt to change the date of the election or not been quoted in any news outlets if they do support it.

It wouldn't work to keep Trump in office anyway. Even if the election were delayed, Trump's final day of his first term would be unchanged as set by the Constitution. I can't say what's going on in that wheezing engine that's Trump's brain, but even his supposed allies are against him on this one, and without their support, it's nothing more than the whining self-pity of a man who should start thinking about where he wants to move his stuff by January 20.

That said, it's pretty funny as Biden declared that Trump was going to try to delay the election and contrive an excuse to do so and various Trump staffers called Biden crazy and delusional for saying Trump would do what he just did. But it doesn't matter. As an unnamed Biden campaign administrator said:

The President has no message, no rationale for a second term, only tactics of distraction. We have ignored it. We do not care. We see it as totally a flailing, losing campaign.

1,346

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house- … 23670.html

White House scrapped a national CV-19 plan because the spring infections were primarily in blue states, and they thought they'd get away with blaming those Dem Governors for it.

1,347

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Today, the White House condemned Hong Kong delaying their elections saying it "undermines the democratic processes and freedoms"

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

The United States' moral authority has become such a joke.

**

Politico asks: why aren't Republicans supporting Trump's desire to delay the election? Aren't they looking at being routed in the Senate? The answer: a delay in the election benefits them only not at all. They are preparing for elections on November 3 and have budgets, campaigns, plans and preparations that would be wasted if delayed and Trump is already dragging their poll numbers down. Siding with him at this stage wouldn't help them in their own re-election bids. In addition, even though Democrats look set to retake a Senate majority and hold a House majority, most Republicans are safe in their seats -- but might not be if they were to support a delay to the election. And even if they did support it, the Democrats hold a House majority and will never agree to pass a new law to change the date. Republicans know trying to alter the election date is a waste of time and offers no gain for them.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ … ump-389753

1,349

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Out of the blue, Trump approved $765 million dollar loan to Kodak so they could start making ingredients for pharmaceuticals that are presently made cheaply overseas.  Stock price of course doubled, then tripled, making certain people millions.  Then it came out today that one of the drugs they will focus on....Hydroxychloroquine.  Jesus H. Christ, the corruption simply never ends.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ … ngredients

Worth noting: Among the drugs Kodak initially will focus on will be hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug that Trump has repeatedly pushed as a coronavirus treatment but that scientists say can cause harm.

Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Well, if they're all in on a drug that doesn't treat COVID-19 while providing many painful and deadly side effects for no benefit whatsoever, they can go right ahead. Trump is probably taking a palliative dose at most.