Re: The virtual Season 6 by Sliders.PL

Sliders.PL presents 6x12 „Convergence, Part I” - the first part of the virtual Season 6 finale and 100th episode of the show!

I promised I would answer many unanswered questions - so here they are! smile Please let me know what do you think about my story!

Read the summary >> www.sliders.pl/summary6_12_en.php
Read the description with many details! (and see new Brick Sliders photos!) >> www.sliders.pl/description6_12.php.

Full Season 6 is published here - one episode per week (only one episode left!) >> www.sliders.pl/season6.php

Photos of Brick Sliders by Agata Agl.

http://www.sliders.pl/gfx/odcinki/season6/ep12_04_small.jpg

http://www.sliders.pl/gfx/odcinki/season6/ep12_06_small.jpg

ireactions >> now you can understand why I wanted to introduce the Zercurvians so early in this season, right after the pilot "Slide Effects" wink

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan >> thank you! smile

The Lego is gorgeous. There's a wonderful sense of seeing Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt, Arturo, Maggie, Colin, Mallory and Diana -- all in the same story, all together, all sliders, all legitimate and important and with a place in the SLIDERS mythology.

This is something most SLIDERS fan projects just can't pull off. It's difficult because any story trying to pick up the plot threads of "The Seer" has to address resurrecting the Professor, rescuing Wade, splitting the Quinns, explaining Colin, liberating Earth Prime from the Kromaggs -- and all of these stories are completely separate plots with their own individual core themes and emotional points. Even a resurrected Ernest Hemingway would take a look at this shopping list of tasks to be accomplished in one story and kill himself again.

So "Convergence" does something clever by piggy-backing off "Slide Effects." "Slide Effects" was effectively triggering a system restore on SLIDERS, activating a backup of the original SLIDERS made before the Professor's death. "Convergence" then has original sliders encounter the Season 5 sliders -- and by making it clear that the Season 2 sliders are not the Season 5 sliders but a separate set entirely, "Convergence" is clear that our sliders have accidentally slid into somebody else's TV show and are looking at a version of their lives where everything went horribly wrong.

This is a very neat approach. I have read every Season 6 fanfic and I think "Convergence"'s approach in having the Season 2 and Season 5 casts meet each other as doubles is truly unique among SLIDERS stories, and that's even before the beautiful Lego work.

53 (edited by Cez 2021-01-14 02:05:44)

ireactions wrote:

This is a very neat approach. I have read every Season 6 fanfic and I think "Convergence"'s approach in having the Season 2 and Season 5 casts meet each other as doubles is truly unique among SLIDERS stories, and that's even before the beautiful Lego work.

Thank you for your review smile I'm happy that you like it! I know that I've made things very fast in this episode, probably in real show there should be 2 or even 3 episodes about this story, but I wanted to get all missing Sliders as fast as possible.

In the past I wanted Season 6 to be concentrated on resurrecting the old cast, for example in one episode Arturo would be back, in the next one Quinn, in next Wade... But I've decided that the core of Season 6 should be the rule "every episode = new world, new adventure". That's why I've included explanations of "The Seer" clifhanger at the very end, so it won't take too much time. I wanted to focus on original 4 Sliders but in the same time I wanted to make a closure for the rest. But as you noticed our original 4 Sliders have met only Maggie, Colin, Mallory and Diana (and some other guest stars wink ). The alternative Sliders are searching home, they are somewhere. I think that if in this episode not 8 but 12 Sliders met, it would be probably too much xD

So... wait for the next, the final episode! smile

Many Season 6 writers have tried to resurrect the cast one 'episode' at a time -- and it still doesn't quite work because there's something very artificial about it. It makes sense to have Rembrandt come out of his vortex to find the original Professor who finds a way to return to "The Seer" Earth to split the Quinns.

But then it becomes contrived that the Professor and Quinn can shortly retrieve Colin who quickly reveals that he's a Kromagg-created clone and spy who reveals that the Earth in "Genesis" wasn't the Earth in the Pilot. And that Wade turns out to be alive with her appearance in "Requiem" being a clone as well. There's no rationale for why all these events happen in rapid succession except that they're on the writer's to-do list, but there's also no narrative purpose to having a lot of sidequests with the Season 5 cast when the end goal is to restore the original cast.

"Slide Effects" by Tracy Torme does well to have all the characters restored by Page 1 simply by having time rewound to the Pilot with everyone alive again. And "Convergence" does well to have the original sliders encounter the Season 5 sliders and experience these events at a slight remove where they're learning about an alternative set of sliders and their story.

There's another issue with resurrecting the original cast -- the situation demands an explanation for why Seasons 1 - 2 had alternate histories but Season 3 suddenly had dragons and vampires and Dream Masters and breeder parasites and shapeshifting serial killers. Some aspects of Season 3 can fit into the Season 1 - 2 mythos as advanced technology -- the killer robots and the zombies being genetically mutilated humans -- but Season 3 flat out declares that magic swords and telekinetic vampires and supernatural fogs and immortality-granting slugs are a part of the SLIDERS multiverse. Yet, Seasons 4 - 5 abruptly features no magic at all and insists that any fantasy elements are technological. What's going on here?

"Slide Effects" guardedly indicated that all the monsters and such were the result of the Kromagg mixing and matching the experiences of different sets of sliders and warping various details into the version we saw on TV. But one wonders -- why did the alternative sliders experience all these odd paranormal events where the original sliders only ran into Dream Masters and dragons?

Temporal Flux once half-seriously offered an explanation: Logan St. Clair altered the timer in "Double Cross." The timer originally used a laser-gyro system to serve as the geographic spectrum stabilizer, keeping the sliders within two miles. Logan put in a whispering gallery system which widened the range to 400 miles. If I recall correctly: TF suggested that it also widened the multiversal range of the timer; that the multiverse may be arranged in 'stacks' of universes; the Earths in Seasons 1 - 2 were in the same stack and operated on the same scientific principles whereas the whispering gallery shifted the sliders into encountering multiverses in other stacks containing monsters and magic and abominations like Colonel Rickman and Maggie Beckett.

The PVTOnline Season 6 fan fiction embraced this idea wholeheartedly. When the timer switched to the Egyptian timer, the sliders cannibalized the original device for parts to keep the new device working and they continued in the same paranormal stack until after "This Slide of Paradise" when Quinn's repairs to the timer to track Rembrandt and Wade repositioned them within a stack of technology driven parallel worlds.

55 (edited by Cez 2021-01-15 11:56:13)

ireactions wrote:

Temporal Flux once half-seriously offered an explanation: Logan St. Clair altered the timer in "Double Cross." The timer originally used a laser-gyro system to serve as the geographic spectrum stabilizer, keeping the sliders within two miles. Logan put in a whispering gallery system which widened the range to 400 miles. If I recall correctly: TF suggested that it also widened the multiversal range of the timer; that the multiverse may be arranged in 'stacks' of universes; the Earths in Seasons 1 - 2 were in the same stack and operated on the same scientific principles whereas the whispering gallery shifted the sliders into encountering multiverses in other stacks containing monsters and magic and abominations like Colonel Rickman and Maggie Beckett.

The PVTOnline Season 6 fan fiction embraced this idea wholeheartedly. When the timer switched to the Egyptian timer, the sliders cannibalized the original device for parts to keep the new device working and they continued in the same paranormal stack until after "This Slide of Paradise" when Quinn's repairs to the timer to track Rembrandt and Wade repositioned them within a stack of technology driven parallel worlds.

Interesting theory! I've never heard about this.

ireactions wrote:

Wade turns out to be alive with her appearance in "Requiem" being a clone as well.

Why do you think this Wade was a clone? First in "Convergence" I wanted to explain it this way - this Cyberiad-Wade was only a clone and the rest of the Sliders would meet real-alternate Wade some other way, but then I decided that I prefere thinking that Season 5 cast really met Wade. Yes, she was badly wounded, she almost died, but she survived, probably with a lot of scars... The Year Five Journal convinced me that it was real Wade and she didn't die at the end of "Requiem".

https://earthprime.com/year-5-journal/requiem-journal

"The most important provision was that, in the end, somehow the audience must know that Wade is somehow alive and well, perhaps in some kind of altered state."

I didn’t think the Wade in “Convergence” was a clone — but many Season 6 writers have taken that tactic because “Requiem” indicated that Wade’s body had been destroyed but her consciousness was somehow still in existence.

When writing my own SLIDERS stories, I’ve generally decided that I don’t want Wade to be a rape victim and I also have trouble believing that the Kromaggs would have even been able to hold Wade captive for more than a week. This is Wade Welles we’re talking about.

And you and I clearly agree that it’s absurd that the master manipulator Kromaggs would have wasted an asset like Wade by sending her to a rape camp when they had plans for Quinn; they would likely have made her a sleeper agent and returned her to Quinn to spy on him as opposed to creating a clone to pretend to be his brother.

There was a point when Recall and I were hammering out the beats of an alternate season 4, where "Mother and Child" actually resulted in the rescue of Wade. Our version was "Mother and Child" in name only (if that; I can't remember), and the nature of the breeding camps was changed dramatically as well.

The idea was that, instead of it being a place where Kromaggs can get their rocks off, it was a highly technological and sterile facility  where the human subjects were not raped, but were "incubators" of Kromagg children. The women are barely even aware it's happening, since they're in suspended animation/stasis throughout the ordeal. The Sliders stage a daring infiltration of the facility and rescue Wade - but the cliffhanger reveal is that Wade has been successfully implanted.

Successive episodes dealt with Wade struggling to get an abortion on another world while trying to acclimate herself to sliding again. She would have paired off in an unlikely friendship with Colin, who could lend a sympathetic ear to her plight since he was a stranger. Quinn would have to slowly earn her trust again, since she blamed him, in part, for her predicament.

In any case, there would have been no rape. It was clinical, surgical, and showed how little regard the Kromaggs held for humanity. That's the way it could have been on the series as well, but, well... David Peckinpah is a perv!

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

58 (edited by Cez 2021-01-15 14:56:13)

Yeah, in my Season 6 I also rejected a rape. I wanted to be sure that Wade wasn't hurt too much. I've written this:

http://www.sliders.pl/summary6_12_en.php
Wade began her story about how she was kidnapped by the Dynasty from the same prison where Remmy was held. First Wade was transported to the breeding colony, where she met, among others, Christina Griffin. However, she was quickly taken to the next world, because the Kromaggs did not want to make her a slave. They wanted to be careful with her in case they would need her as a bargaining chip against Quinn, who was looking for a way to bypass the Slidecage. She was imprisoned in a cell with good conditions until the plan of bypassing the Slidecage with Quinn's help was lost. Then the Kromaggs decided to use their backup plan. They put Wells in a jar of green liquid as the ultimate weapon called a Cyberiad.

Btw, I've just posted a funny Lego-video about rescuing Quinn and Colin xD >> https://twitter.com/SlidersPL/status/13 … 0557433858 This is the interpretation of my story made by Agata, Brick Lady wink

Eeeeeek, Quinn restored!!!

I have to say, I am deeply disappointed in Transmodiar. I was hoping he would chastise me for saying Wade Welles could not be held captive, saying I have a ridiculously overinflated view of the sliders' abilities.

I always liked Recall and Transmodiar's idea that the commandant in "Genesis" telling Quinn that "once a woman's had a Magg, she can never go back" was just a jibe to upset Quinn and that the real rape camps were sterile, sexless labs (much like my personality at times).

I have always been deeply, deeply uncomfortable with Wade being in a rape camp. The term "breeder camp" is, to me, an unacceptable euphemism because Peckinpah (apparently) couldn't get away with saying "rape" on television at the time. Peckinpah wanted to hurt Sabrina Lloyd by raping her character. When a fan in pre-Season 4 online chat asked Kari Wuhrer how Sabrina would be written out, Kari Wuhrer said, "With some fun and humor: you see, she's good breeding stock."

There is a special place in hell for men who abuse women with rape jokes -- but given that Peckinpah was reeling from the grief of his teenaged son's death and in the throes of a serious drug addiction at the time that would ultimately kill him, I no longer hope that he's in hell. I hope he found peace and found his way back home.

There is a special place in hell for women who abuse other women with rape jokes -- but Kari Wuhrer apologized to Sabrina Lloyd and Lloyd accepted it. Also, Wuhrer found her career take a serious hit when her breast implants malfunctioned and she had them removed, and her career took another hit when she got fired off a soap opera for being pregnant and not being conventionally attractive to the male gaze. Maybe that was her hell and she's served her sentence and been released.

Wade Welles should not have been put in this position, should not have been used this way.

But paradoxically, I also find it incredibly offensive and upsetting to retcon Wade's rape out of the story. I think it is outrageous to say that women need to forget having been raped. And yet, I have done it twice in my own SLIDERS stories: "Slide Effects" declares that the Wade we saw from Season 3 onward was a double -- an amalgamation of 37 doubles -- which indicates one of the 37 Wades was raped, just not the Wade we met in the Pilot and whose adventures we followed for the Tracy Torme years.

Most women aren't going to discover that their trauma and assaults were actually a hallucinatory telepathic prison and also experienced by a double from a parallel universe.

SLIDERS REBORN declares that there were two timelines: one where the original sliders experienced four years of wonderful adventures together, but then Dr. Oberon Geiger's Combine experiment ripped Quinn and all his doubles out of existence and corrupted reality, retroactively altering the past into the version of SLIDERS that we saw on TV with monsters, magic, the invasion of Earth, Wade's capture, etc. -- and then the disembodied post-"Requiem" Wade is reset and restored to her original timeline self, a version who has no memory of the corrupted timeline.

Most women probably aren't going to have reality rewritten around them to excise having been attacked.

I can't defend my writing (and Transmodiar might say I shouldn't, haha). At least "Convergence" indicates that the Kromaggs were just trying to upset Quinn and of course they wouldn't have done anything to damage a valuable intelligence asset like Wade Welles. They would have had far more important uses for her.

In my stories -- I simply did not feel that Wade or the readers would be well-served by giving David Peckinpah's violent fantasies about Sabrina Lloyd any more oxygen. But I do not defend the offensive implications of that decision.

A final word: one of the characters in SLIDERS REBORN is Laurel, Quinn Mallory's teenaged daughter. She's based on my niece, Lauren, and when I was writing SLIDERS REBORN, Lauren assumed veto power over anything and everything involving her character. There was a scene where some men corner Laurel and try to rape her and Laurel discovers she has fighting skills she didn't realize she had.

Lauren told me that she'd appreciate not being put in such a scene because the threat of rape had a weight and horror that was well beyond what my lightweight sci-fi sitcom adventure could portray appropriately. I rewrote the scene so that Laurel would be cornered by men seeking to harvest her organs which turned out to be far more disturbing and suited to the story.