Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

Well. Let's not go nuts. The stairs on Quinn's house are clearing giving the AI a lot of trouble in the upscale. The Sorcerer scenes suffer badly when there are high levels of light that blow out the character's faces in the highlights.

It is probably fixable and I know Transmodiar will have thoughts, but I'm going to refer back to what Transmodiar said when I told him how terribly my first draft outline of SLIDERS REBORN had turned out -- let's just aim to get matters from terrible to adequate.


I think it's a big deal.  First off, what you've done is a big upgrade.  Second of all, topaz, and other algorithms similar are only going to get better.  If that is in year, what, 3, imagine in 4-5 years what it  will be like.  Maybe it won't linearly get better and maybe it's done 80 percent of its gains.  But I know it's definitely gonna get even better.

When you add some other playing with the colors, saturation etc etc, to the mix (as we know the pilot and first season is a bit "faded") I think something pretty damn superb is possible. 

So yea, I think this opens up the Sliders 2.0 era.   The content can become much fresher and modern.

102 (edited by ireactions 2021-02-23 18:16:50)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

I appreciate that, but I still don't know what this really opens given that these are all files sitting on my hard drive and I only dare upload samples.

Here's the ending of "Gillian of the Spirits" in FakeD.
https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

I appreciate that, but I still don't know what this really opens given that these are all files sitting on my hard drive and I only dare upload samples.

Here's the ending of "Gillian of the Spirits" in FakeD.
https://gofile.io/d/6Ftinm


Yes, but anyone can use Topaz smile    Hopefully it doesn't require 32 gigs of rams though.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

I upscaled the end of "Time and Again World" to 1080p and downscaled it to 720p and played it side by side with the original 720p ending. There was no difference.

**

Don't forget that the GPU is also a factor in AI upscaling. I don't know how essential 32GB of RAM, but without it, I wouldn't be able to do my day job in Photoshop, InDesign, Adobe Premiere and Illustrator while Handbrake and/or Topaz run minimized in the background. My PC would become unusable.

Also, each disc takes about 30 minutes to rip and then 10 minutes per episode to deinterlace each file in Handbrake followed by 9 - 10 hours to enhance the video in Topaz. I don't think it's feasible to ask every single SLIDERS fan to do this and I don't believe Universal will do it -- they could have just scanned the master tapes properly the first time and decombed the digital assets.

But I'll be happy to give them the files when I'm done, although -- I'm not doing all 88 episodes of SLIDERS. I'll just do Seasons 1, 2, and a select few from 3 - 5. Anyone who wants to watch "Map of the Mind" in FakeD will have to do it themselves!

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

I upscaled the end of "Time and Again World" to 1080p and downscaled it to 720p and played it side by side with the original 720p ending. There was no difference.

**

Don't forget that the GPU is also a factor in AI upscaling. I don't know how essential 32GB of RAM, but without it, I wouldn't be able to do my day job in Photoshop, InDesign, Adobe Premiere and Illustrator while Handbrake and/or Topaz run minimized in the background. My PC would become unusable.

Also, each disc takes about 30 minutes to rip and then 10 minutes per episode to deinterlace each file in Handbrake followed by 9 - 10 hours to enhance the video in Topaz. I don't think it's feasible to ask every single SLIDERS fan to do this and I don't believe Universal will do it -- they could have just scanned the master tapes properly the first time and decombed the digital assets.

But I'll be happy to give them the files when I'm done, although -- I'm not doing all 88 episodes of SLIDERS. I'll just do Seasons 1, 2, and a select few from 3 - 5. Anyone who wants to watch "Map of the Mind" in FakeD will have to do it themselves!

Have you checked out the upscale that's someone is doing on reddit?  I'm curious how you think it compares to yours.  I wasn't sure if you started doing this because  you were inspired by what someone is doing over there or if it's just happenstance.

It would be awhile before Universal does this themselves, because of all those resources.  But the great thing is any very committed fan doesn't have to wait on Universal (which clearly has bastardized the quality of this show) to take matters into their own hands and get a legitimately great looking finished product.

I've done upscales on the dvd stuff in the past using lesser tech, and then ran it  on an xbox that further upscaled it, and then used a tv that processed it and took it even further.   It ended up looking really great but it was just like a test of five minutes of footage and I lost the software and the algorithm settings (a lot of time was spent to pick configurations).

I can only imagine with a topaz upscaled source + a blu-ray player that upscales the content  + a tv with some processing options how good it could look.  It's exciting.  Whenever I have watched the dvds or streaming or comet, the quality makes me feel like I'm watching something from the 70s.  All because of heavy compression, whatever sort of video archiving they've done, and general lack of caring.   This really is a terrific thing for rescuing the footage. 

I'd love for them to rescan the film negatives but there's no way that is happening at this point.  Which irks me because Seaquest got that treatment.  And Babylon 5 just had an upconversion (which looks decent).

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

I’ve had a few chats with NaterTot, but he seemed to be having trouble with any upscaling beyond the Pilot and I haven’t heard from him for over a week. His project made me decide to aim for 720p and not attempt a 4K conversion or even a 1080p. I set my sights on good DVD quality and I think it’s hitting the somewhat low hanging target. I’m currently converting one episode a day and am hoping to be up to two episodes a day by tomorrow and aim to have the entire first two seasons complete by the end of this. NaterTot, however — it’s entirely possible that he’s a healthy, well adjusted human being who isn’t hopelessly fixated on a show from 1995 that faded out of the world like an Unstuck Man.

107 (edited by ireactions 2021-02-23 18:16:41)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

"Prince of Wails" upscaling sample: the sliders provide Prince Harold with the Bill of Rights and Wade is asked to stay on. https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw
I feel I'm neglecting poor Rembrandt, so next is going to be his performance in "The King is Back."

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

I’ve had a few chats with NaterTot, but he seemed to be having trouble with any upscaling beyond the Pilot and I haven’t heard from him for over a week. His project made me decide to aim for 720p and not attempt a 4K conversion or even a 1080p. I set my sights on good DVD quality and I think it’s hitting the somewhat low hanging target. I’m currently converting one episode a day and am hoping to be up to two episodes a day by tomorrow and aim to have the entire first two seasons complete by the end of this. NaterTot, however — it’s entirely possible that he’s a healthy, well adjusted human being who isn’t hopelessly fixated on a show from 1995 that faded out of the world like an Unstuck Man.

It was hard for me to tell looking at his stills vs. your stuff if there was any difference.  Plus, the video in his youtube review -- where he used the footage -- was naturally a bit compressed with youtube's processing, I think.  But it still looked great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=38& … e=youtu.be

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

I believe he's using the same source material, the Universal DVD set. He said that the Pilot looked great after upscaling but everything else looked bad -- undoubtedly because the Pilot does not have the interlacing errors that mar all the other episodes. I only have Seasons 1 - 3 from Universal, but I can confirm that "The Guardian" had the same interlacing error lines across the image that had to be decombed in Handbrake before the upscale in Topaz.

There is going to be a 20 per cent drop in my upscale quality when I switch to Seasons 4 - 5 because I only have Mill Creek for those. However, it'll also be a bit faster because I don't have to deinterlace the DVD rips from Mill Creek. I could buy Season 4 for $20, but I feel like David Peckinpah and Bill Dial's estates should pay me for procuring it. I could buy Season 5 for apparently $150 on DVD, but I would sooner throw that $150 down a drain.

110 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-02-14 08:15:00)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

I believe he's using the same source material, the Universal DVD set. He said that the Pilot looked great after upscaling but everything else looked bad -- undoubtedly because the Pilot does not have the interlacing errors that mar all the other episodes. I only have Seasons 1 - 3 from Universal, but I can confirm that "The Guardian" had the same interlacing error lines across the image that had to be decombed in Handbrake before the upscale in Topaz.

There is going to be a 20 per cent drop in my upscale quality when I switch to Seasons 4 - 5 because I only have Mill Creek for those. However, it'll also be a bit faster because I don't have to deinterlace the DVD rips from Mill Creek. I could buy Season 4 for $20, but I feel like David Peckinpah and Bill Dial's estates should pay me for procuring it. I could buy Season 5 for apparently $150 on DVD, but I would sooner throw that $150 down a drain.


There's a pretty good site out there that does something similar to topez.  But it does just on photos.  Since it takes so long on one photo, i'm surer it's doing more intense processing than topez, but it gives you a glimpse into what the future may be like for video too (if they can speed up their algorithms).  I did this on a sliders frame (which I've now lost) but the results were really good:

https://jpghd.com/

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Still image adjustment is possibly a way to upscale a standard definition video: by upscaling each frame of the video into a high resolution still, then running a mass filter on all the stills to increase pixel contrast and improve colour, brightness and remove distortions, then reassembling the frames back into a video with the original audio. However, that’s a bit too much for me, this project is something I need to have running while I’m doing other things.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

Still image adjustment is possibly a way to upscale a standard definition video: by upscaling each frame of the video into a high resolution still, then running a mass filter on all the stills to increase pixel contrast and improve colour, brightness and remove distortions, then reassembling the frames back into a video with the original audio. However, that’s a bit too much for me, this project is something I need to have running while I’m doing other things.

Yea.  Well on the jpghd it takes 3-5 minutes for just one still, so you can imagine what a nightmare that would be for 20-30 hrs of programming.  It is a possible glimpse into the future, though the results are really good.

113 (edited by ireactions 2021-02-23 18:16:36)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Rembrandt's concert in "The King is Back" in FakeD HD! https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

Rembrandt's concert in "The King is Back" in FakeD HD! https://gofile.io/d/PfPmtx


Looks great!

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

"Obsession" in FakeD: The sliders react to Wade's marriage proposal from Derek Bond, and Derek invades Wade's privacy. You can see the skin texture on Sabrina's face. https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

116 (edited by ireactions 2021-02-23 18:16:01)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Presenting scenes from the Pilot (or "Into the Vortex," as I like to think of it) in 720p. We have here Quinn meeting Quinn -- and then the ending of the Pilot because I want us all to see the four sliders' silhouettes in high definition followed by that beautiful dinner scene and that perfect toast.

https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

Next: "Fever" at the request of a dear and treasured friend who has done so much for all of us.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Once again everything looks so great.  I still remember the first time I saw Blade Runner in 4k.  It was like seeing it in a new way.  You get used to it after a bit, but the difference is never more clear that first time, when you are comparing to your last recollection of what the content looks like.   So seeing these with such clarity, crispness, particuarly with the closer shots, is like seeing it for the first time.  It's just "different."   There are some of the fuzzy issues you mentioned when the person's face is afar -- I hope eventually the AI works in corrections for that.  But these really are great.

And the coloring on the pilot actually didn't bother me as much.  Only in the hallway scene when they first come back and Quinn's mom greets them.   But it all looks generally great.  It's just terrific that fans can take restoration projects into their own hands when studios will stubbornly, even if understandably, not.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Yeah, it's a shame the upscale can't handle the wider shots, but it's still pleasingly presentable. The fuzziness is a bit distracting to see when studying the video up close, but I just rewatched some of the Pilot on my HDTV and at sofa-seated distance, it's not really an issue.

RussianCabbie and I have been having a bit of a debate. He finds that Season 1 -- and to a lesser extent, Season 2 -- have a very desaturated, poorly contrasted look as though the film or master tapes were not correctly stored. But -- I think it's deliberate. I remember watching SLIDERS being marathoned five days a week on the local SPACE channel in my city. Season 1 had a very grayed out, low-vibrancy look -- which looks to me today as the choice of cinematographer Peter Woeste deliberately choosing a very natural-looking style of lighting.

Vancouver as San Francisco looks unaltered, unmanipulated and therefore very real, even if that reality is a Soviet controlled America or a world where scientists are revered the way athletes are viewed on our Earth. Season 2, with Robert Hudecek taking over, deepened the shadows and slightly raised the saturation a bit, but it was still recognizably Season 1, just more artful in light composition. Season 3, however, had an oversaturated, plastic toy look to my eyes that I found false and jarring.

I think that Season 1 is deliberately low contrast and low colour. Real life doesn't have colour correction. RussianCabbie disagrees and I've given him the details and settings for him to recolour the Pilot and I'll be curious about his results.

My opinion is that SLIDERS looks like it was made in 1994. I think it will always look like it was made in 1994. I expect that a recoloured version of Seasons 1 - 2 will look like it was made in 1994 with some added colour on top to account for the deeper backlighting of an HDTV.

After "Fever" encodes, I'm going to do "Virtual Slide" and "World Killer." And good news: the Mill Creek DVDs have a very grainy look for all Season 4 - 5 episodes. It looks ghastly onscreen, but the AI will be able to treat the grain as detail to extract and enhance for an upscale even as it deblocks the flaws.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Some of those looked really great.  Frankly I didn't think the quality on the Comet TV web feed was that bad, while the Peacock isn't great.  It's really down to the bitrate on a lot of these.  If they had released a BluRay it would be perfect.

Any chance you can upscale "Cry Like a Man?"

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Grizzlor wrote:

Any chance you can upscale "Cry Like a Man?"

https://gofile.io/d/2xMqIW

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

"Virtual Slide" is still in the process of upscaling. I had a brief look at it and I have to say, the grainy Mill Creek release is upscaling rather nicely, although I felt a jolt of fear and panic when the software paused on the opening titles on a frame of Kari Wuhrer that was taken from "The Breeder."

I wrote the upscaling software designers an email and asked if there were some enhancement algorithm that would replace Kari Wuhrer with Sabrina Lloyd in any and all SLIDERS episodes. They said they'd look into it and get back to me.

122 (edited by ireactions 2021-02-23 18:15:49)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

"Fever": The final faceoff and Wade's awakening

"Virtual Slide": the finale. https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

Very interesting comparison between the distinct visual tones of Season 1 and Season 4 where Season 1 seems to be filling in a lot of bare studio space with extras and set dressing whereas Season 4 is either using the same standing set and backlot over and over again or is simply bare.

"Fever" is from the Universal DVD. "Virtual Slide" is from Mill Creek, but the image quality doesn't seem that different to me thanks to the upscaling having more to work on the Mill Creek set once we get to the last two seasons. It looks to me like the new post production company for Seasons 4 - 5 used a different film-to-video process -- or Seasons 4 - 5 used 16mm film that was transferred to tape. Either way, it created a level of graininess that remains even after overcompression, grain that the upscale can treat as texture.

123 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-02-17 09:40:22)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

"Fever": The final faceoff and Wade's awakening: https://gofile.io/d/zULVOv

"Virtual Slide": the finale. https://gofile.io/d/lYT0xn

Very interesting comparison between the distinct visual tones of Season 1 and Season 4 where Season 1 seems to be filling in a lot of bare studio space with extras and set dressing whereas Season 4 is either using the same standing set and backlot over and over again or is simply bare.

"Fever" is from the Universal DVD. "Virtual Slide" is from Mill Creek, but the image quality doesn't seem that different to me thanks to the upscaling having more to work on the Mill Creek set once we get to the last two seasons. It looks to me like the new post production company for Seasons 4 - 5 used a different film-to-video process -- or Seasons 4 - 5 used 16mm film that was transferred to tape. Either way, it created a level of graininess that remains even after overcompression, grain that the upscale can treat as texture.

Well I have to say I am very impressed with that mill creek upconvert.   You're right, there's something natural about the grain deposited throughout the image.  It does look like you're watching film.  I think it's a tad noisy for my tastes... maybe 40 percent less would be optimal... but it does give the picture a palpable feel and harkens back to more of a movie image.  Overall, really looks great.

edit: oops I realized I was watching with the adjusted windows media player settings I had privately mentioned.  I reset them now.  Still a big upgrade from Mill Creek!

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

I'd say Virtual Slide looks better than Fever.  But that's not a surprise.  The season 4 episodes always looked pretty decent to my eye, whether it be universal dvds or mill creek's.  The season 1s (and 2s to a degree) are where I have found it most lacking.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

I’m only guessing, but “Fever” to me looks deliberately dark, dingy and desaturated to present its vision of a diseased world. It also looks like it was shot on 35mm film and then transferred to videotape. 35mm film creates a crisp, clear image but loses a lot of detail in reducing it to a standard definition format.

In contrast, “Virtual Slide” is being made to look bright and warm regardless of whether that’s appropriate for the story, and it looks like it was shot on 16mm film before the tape transfer. 16mm film can be detailed, but it has less than half the image information of 35mm and is also extremely grainy. This graininess has remained on the master tapes, survived the digital scan and severe overcompression which the AI can use well.

That said, I don’t think “Virtual Slide” looks ‘better’ as much as it looks conventional, but that’s a matter of taste.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

TF posted a screencap of "Prince of Wails" in another thread. Compare it to the upscale and note where the AI struggles: onscreen text that's blurry is unreadable even after upscaling.

http://www.slidersimages.com/1c/1c151.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/XsQvb1x/Prince-Of-Wails-5-1-50x-960x720-alq-10-mp4-snapshot-18-23-502.jpg

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

TF posted a screencap of "Prince of Wails" in another thread. Compare it to the upscale and note where the AI struggles: onscreen text that's blurry is unreadable even after upscaling.

http://www.slidersimages.com/1c/1c151.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/XsQvb1x/Prince-Of-Wails-5-1-50x-960x720-alq-10-mp4-snapshot-18-23-502.jpg


There's no rescuing some of that text.  Maybe give it the Star Wars CGI / George Lucas treatment.

Nice to see the big difference in quality between the two images though.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

There's no rescuing some of that text.  Maybe give it the Star Wars CGI / George Lucas treatment.

Nice to see the big difference in quality between the two images though.

At least we did get a glimpse of what was intended through Phil Gough (who was responsible for making most of the paper props in season one and two):

https://iili.io/fWvGPp.jpg

The actual prop master was Don Buchanan, and Phil put his face on the money being thrown around during the Robin Hood montage. Another detail that just doesn’t come through with the resolution we have.

https://iili.io/fWvEVR.md.jpg

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Very cool TF!

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

That is pretty awesome! Thanks TF!

JWSlider3

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

On the subject of the upscaling endeavor, is there a way to (in essence) rotoscope the foreground images and upscale them apart from the background? I think that might eliminate the waxyness of the background.

I think one of the Star Wars despecialized blu ray editions do something similar.

JWSlider3

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

JWSlider3 wrote:

On the subject of the upscaling endeavor, is there a way to (in essence) rotoscope the foreground images and upscale them apart from the background? I think that might eliminate the waxyness of the background.

I think one of the Star Wars despecialized blu ray editions do something similar.

JWSlider3

i think ireactions is gonna kill us  tongue

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

It would be quite an undertaking, but I feel it would be a more true High Definition end result.

134 (edited by ireactions 2021-02-23 18:15:32)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Rotoscoping sounds interesting, but I'm afraid I'm too busy to do anything other than plug and play solutions. But I'll be happy for other people to build on this.

Two FakeD clips today: "World Killer" with Quinn versus Quinn and "Double Cross with... well, I guess it's technically Quinn against Quinn again. https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

135 (edited by ireactions 2021-02-23 18:15:26)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

"Season's Greedings": The Punchening. This is how I've always thought of the scene where Quinn assaults a mall manager for no good reason whatsoever. It also has an ending that Tracy Torme loathes.

I still kind of like it. https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

His punches have the power of KICKS.

Why does Torme hate the ending of Season's Greedings? What a grump!

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

He told me he hated it for being everything he didn't want SLIDERS to be: formulaic, predictable and safe with the sliders saying good-bye to everyone and triggering the vortex offscreen to save a few bucks and sliding out, without any sort of closing commentary on consumerism or debt or anything thought provoking that would prevent it from being forgotten five minutes after watching it. He also hated Quinn punching out the mall manager like "GI Joe." (I didn't understand the reference then and I still don't.)

I still kind of like it.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:
Grizzlor wrote:

Any chance you can upscale "Cry Like a Man?"

https://gofile.io/d/2xMqIW

Thanks!  Do you have the copy that doesn't have the credits scrolling, to upscale?

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Where would I find that?

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

https://vimeo.com/42207203

Good luck cleaning THAT up!

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

The plug and play won't do anything with a 320x240 video other than make it look like a watercolour painting in motion, sadly.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

HD scenes from "Dead Man Sliding" (Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo corner Quinn-2) and "Prince of Slides" (Rembrandt faces off against Rembrandt & Quinn Mallory apparently knows how to swordfight now -- which could be part of Quinn's sports obsession except there was no fencing gear in his room in the Pilot).

https://gofile.io/d/7MIbW5

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

HD scenes from "Dead Man Sliding" (Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo corner Quinn-2) and "Prince of Slides" (Rembrandt faces off against Rembrandt & Quinn Mallory apparently knows how to swordfight now -- which could be part of Quinn's sports obsession except there was no fencing gear in his room in the Pilot).

https://gofile.io/d/7MIbW5

once again, all look great!

144 (edited by ireactions 2021-02-23 18:15:14)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Watch David Peckinpah's beautiful "Murder Most Foul" conclusion in HD -- and also check out the gorgeous effects work in "The Alternateville Horror"!

https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

The plug and play won't do anything with a 320x240 video other than make it look like a watercolour painting in motion, sadly.

That stinks!  Honestly the ones I'd most like to see upconverted are the low res BTS stuff. 

This may require more technical tweaking than PnP but I've seen nice results from 320x240/15fps stuff upscaled using DAIN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS4JNfnEEcA

146 (edited by ireactions 2021-02-23 18:15:00)

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Rembrandt's date from "Asylum" and Maggie visits the Maggie museum in "The Return of Maggie Beckett," upscaled to HD: https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

I upscaled some select scenes from "California Reich" and "Slidecage." "Slidecage" stands out to me -- it was the first time Temporal Flux and I really talked about SLIDERS and he told me how Quinn was seriously out of character in this scene due to Jerry O'Connell's poor performance. It was the first time I really thought to question the onscreen product and view it as a constructed product rather than an objective TV reality.

Also, thanks to Cez who has recommended a hosting option.

https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

Rembrandt's date from "Asylum" and Maggie visits the Maggie museum in "The Return of Maggie Beckett," upscaled to HD: https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw


ireactions wrote:

I upscaled some select scenes from "California Reich" and "Slidecage." "Slidecage" stands out to me -- it was the first time Temporal Flux and I really talked about SLIDERS and he told me how Quinn was seriously out of character in this scene due to Jerry O'Connell's poor performance. It was the first time I really thought to question the onscreen product and view it as a constructed product rather than an objective TV reality.

Also, thanks to Cez who has recommended a hosting option.

https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw


Everything looks superb.

When the Freaks & Geeks blu-ray was done, they actually went from 4:3 to 16:9 because the stuff in the film scan was good enough to use.  Looking at these upscales -- particuarly of the later seasons -- the only thing that's holding them back from looking like something shot in the last 10 years is probably a 16:9 frame.

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

I asked Cez (of LEGO SLIDERS fame) if there were any scenes he'd ever wanted to see in HD and he said he'd like the "Stoker"' scenes of Wade because of her singing. I swore at him and invoked a blood curse upon him to be attacked by electric bolts fired from a magic guitar for daring to ask me to do this.

Here are the Wade scenes: https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

Look, he did LEGO SLIDERS. He earned this.

Although, to be fair, I've actually rewatched "Stoker" a few times. It's a dangerous and deadly practice, but there's a sequence in SLIDERS REBORN where Quinn-2 summons the Season 3 monsters to attack San Francisco. While Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo are busy with dinosaurs and dragons and zombies and whatnot, Quinn's daughter Laurel is menaced by the rock star vampires.

I had to rewatch "Stoker" to describe Morgan as "a tall gentleman in a velvet suit jacket and a high necked shirt with a cravat. His crisp cheekbones frame a predatory smile" who looks like "a reject from a Victorian romance novel." And to describe Harker as "a sunglasses-wearing man with bleached and frosted hair, a dark leather duster" and a "feral snarl in his glee" who "looks like an escapee from an 80s rock concert." They feed on Laurel but poison themselves in doing so because she injected herself with pureed garlic before that.

I actually don't know if the human circulation system would work that quickly, but I was originally going to have Laurel defeat them with high intensity sound until Transmodiar reminded me that the rock star vampires are rock star vampires. Transmodiar suggested using sunlight, but I pointed out that Harker kills the music critic during the day, then wondered if maybe "Stoker" had forgotten about using a day-to-light filter for the shots. "Filter!" Transmodiar chortled. "When a show stops caring, they don't care about time of day!"

This episode made me really upset and angry when I rewatched it for SLIDERS REBORN and I remain somewhat comforted to have written a scene where the vampires are dispatched by some spices in a kitchen.

150

Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

ireactions wrote:

I asked Cez (of LEGO SLIDERS fame) if there were any scenes he'd ever wanted to see in HD and he said he'd like the "Stoker"' scenes of Wade because of her singing. I swore at him and invoked a blood curse upon him to be attacked by electric bolts fired from a magic guitar for daring to ask me to do this.

Here are the Wade scenes: https://mega.nz/folder/5E1WnZxJ#Zgg_4d2jHZTolIin-iSevw

Look, he did LEGO SLIDERS. He earned this.

Thank you! xD