1 (edited by ireactions 2022-09-20 18:36:48)

Topic: Reboots: The Return of Sliders (?), Quantum Leap, and Other Properties

Well this came as a complete surprise!

After quite a extended game of phone tag I finally got a hold Tracy Tormé today at the request of Ireaction (in reference to Ireaction's upscaling project). To be honest I was a little hesitant, I got in touch with Mr. Tormé a several months ago about some lost stories from Sliders and it seemed to be the end of that conversation.

After some thought , I felt like I should lead in with something of more of my own personal interest (no offense Ireaction). When this conversation started, Mr. Tormé seemed different this time, very energized! He said that it was interesting that got in touch with him at this time.

He said that he is having a meeting tomorrow with former Fox Executive to talk about bringing Sliders back. He said that this was the real deal, not just talk or rumors. This meeting is about how to proceed forward with Sliders return. He even said Jacob Epstein would be involved with this meeting! He seemed VERY positive about how this is progressing and suggested that I share it with anyone who was a fan of the show.

I hope everyone else finds this interesting!

JWSlider3

Re: Reboots: The Return of Sliders (?), Quantum Leap, and Other Properties

We're a bit early for April Fools!  ha ha ha!  Was he aware of Jerry's desires?

I'll believe it when I see it....and I hope to believe it soon

Shall I ask Jacob for corroboration?

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

My heart can't take this. Please let this be so!

This is interesting, but I'd point out, we've been here many times. Robert K. Weiss, when talking about a SLIDERS feature film in 2000, wasn't making it up; he just couldn't find studio support. This time, it's the other co-creator engaged in talks. But revivals are happening a lot and if even Punky Brewster can return, so can SLIDERS. That said -- what would actually come back?

A number of people have said they don't want a SLIDERS revival and would prefer a new property about parallel universes. But others have made a point that branding matters; SLIDERS is a brand and a legally dis-similar show about parallel universes would never capture SLIDERS' appeal because the things that made SLIDERS special are protected by copyright.

Could a revival, even with Torme and Epstein, be the show we fell in love with in 1995? The cast is a question. To me, SLIDERS is Jerry O'Connell, Sabrina Lloyd, Cleavant Derricks and John Rhys-Davies. SLIDERS in 2021 would, for me, ideally feature these actors playing older versions of their original characters on an Earth where they never went sliding back in 1995 -- where Quinn failed to create anti-gravity and only manages to open the gateway today at an older age, bringing along our three old friends and then losing the way back home.

But would a studio support that? I don't think so. It's true that THE X-FILES and SAVED BY THE BELL and GILMORE GIRLS and PUNKY BREWSTER all brought back the original characters and actors -- but all those shows had become immortalized with those performers. In contrast, SLIDERS would really be starting all over again -- in which case, a studio would likely want Quinn and Wade in their early 20s and Rembrandt and The Professsor in their early 50s -- hoping to get a good 5 - 7 season run. It wouldn't make sense to re-hire John Rhys-Davies when he himself says he'd only want to do a year or two on a revival.

You could get Jerry and Cleavant. But I don't think you could get Sabrina Lloyd. Sabrina seems to be semi-retired from acting and just not that interested in SLIDERS. I don't think it's impossible that she'd be won back by John Rhys-Davies and Cleavant given her love for them, but she'd likely want to maintain her life in Africa. Would you recast Sabrina Lloyd with Kate Mara?

I suspect that it would likely be a reboot. Corey Fogelmanis as Quinn Mallory, Isabel May as Wade Welles, Levar Burton as Rembrandt Brown and Victor Garber as the Professor. I think Jerry might produce and direct episodes; John might write and produce; Cleavant might write all the original songs with Tracy -- and Sabrina might guest star -- and they could all play the parents of Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo. It's not my favourite scenario, but it seems the most plausible if NBCUniversal and Peacock actually want a SLIDERS revival.

Tracy Tormé made it very clear that he is only interested in the original group, he has yet to reach out to Sabrina (commented about uncertainty as with her living in Africa) but he has be in contact with the others. He has a story idea on how to bring the original group back (as well as explain the passage of time.

Transmodiar, please do reach out to Jacob Epstein. I would love to hear his side of it.

JWSlider3

What a lovely thing to hear from Torme! Thank you, JWSlider3.

Here's one way to bring back the originals at their current ages without alienating a mainstream audience that may not know the show. Matt calls it "the bastard child of Temporal Flux and Transmodiar."

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mp1 … sp=sharing

JWSlider3 wrote:

Tracy Tormé made it very clear that he is only interested in the original group, he has yet to reach out to Sabrina (commented about uncertainty as with her living in Africa) but he has be in contact with the others. He has a story idea on how to bring the original group back (as well as explain the passage of time.

Transmodiar, please do reach out to Jacob Epstein. I would love to hear his side of it.

JWSlider3

Well that is fine and dandy, but only Jerry is really I think "up" for a full-time role.  Cleavant not so sure, and John Rhys-Davies I truly do not expect to see returning full time to television or whatever.  Sabrina obviously we know is not happening.  While I think bringing that group back in some fashion is important, I just don't think it's viable as a project that a network/streamer would sign onto as is.  Not to mention that Tracy himself may not be in the kind of shape to dive back into a full time production.

That being said, obviously I'd be stoked for whatever were to actually go into production.  Tracy I cannot imagine would be able to discuss such things though.  Can't reveal things or negotiations.  Studio wise just about any production company could get involved, but NBCU own the IP as far as I know.  You'd have to go through them.

JWSlider3 wrote:

If Torme is going into a pitch meeting with that kind of demand, it will be over before it even starts.

I've said it before, but I'm really not interested in the further adventures at this point. The show Torme knew and created died in 1996; it's been 25 years. Let another parallel world series emerge without the baggage of seasons 3-5.

I say this as a fan and as one of the keeper of the flames. I love Sliders, but Sliders occupied a very specific place and time in my life that doesn't exist any more. I've got other things to prioritize; that's why you haven't seen updates to Earth Prime even though I've got plenty to share. The audience isn't there.

(That said, was there an audience for a Punky Brewster reboot?)

I haven't written Jacob but Jon Povill is not interested. He's perfectly happy living in Vancouver working on politics and sanding the everloving shit out of his patio. tongue

JWSlider3 wrote:

I believe in what Tracy and Bob created.  I believe it has potential that was never realized.  I believe it deserves a second chance.  But that said, I don’t believe it can pick up like it’s 1995 again and be successful.  A lot has changed; and it’s going to take a broader net to capture the largest audience.

But as I stated before, my answer to this puzzle was Sliders: Declassified.

http://freepdfhosting.com/dbc626c123.pdf

And as far as I’m concerned, Tracy can have the idea if it will help him.  I can help further too; but I know how all of this works, and I understand.  We’re a long way from the days of Gene reading blind script submissions.

I think Transmodiar's disinterest in SLIDERS says more about Transmodiar than it does about SLIDERS. I have made the same mistake myself, conflating my personal feelings about SLIDERS with SLIDERS' worth, value and future.

In pretty much every thread on a reboot or revival, Transmodiar has alluded to how he was/is/will be working on some SLIDERS-esque series; he doesn't want a new version of SLIDERS to compete with his own properties. As Transmodiar's friend and the beneficiary of his generosity and kindness, I sympathize with that and support his endeavour -- but Transmodiar's SLIDERS-adjacent projects really have no bearing what a revived SLIDERS would look like; any SLIDERS fan who wants a revival wants all the aspects of SLIDERS that are under copyright: Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt, Arturo, the timer, random sliding, four civilians thrown together by circumstance to explore a new parallel world every week. That's the brand.

Temporal Flux said that a legally dis-similar SLIDERS-inspired show could possibly be good, but it would never replace SLIDERS for him. I feel the same way too. And for those who don't -- well, as JWSlider3 said, "If you're not interested, don't watch." (Not that there's anything to watch yet.)

Moving on from that -- I agree with Transmodiar when he says that insisting on the return of the original cast is probably a non-starter for any studio. While I am heartened by Tracy Torme's devotion and loyalty to Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John, I don't think it is realistic. SLIDERS is not SAVED BY THE BELL or PUNKY BREWSTER or THE X-FILES, following up on a long and successful legacy. SLIDERS in 2021 can't court only fans; it has to appeal to a general audience and that means starting over. Studios generally don't want to revive a property unless it produces a large amount of content for revenue; how much content could we likely from Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John if Sabrina is retired and John is not keen to do a long run?

I just don't think that Torme's insistence on the original cast is plausible or economically achievable. But I am really touched and moved to hear that it's what Torme cares about most... because when it comes to SLIDERS, that is what I care about most too. Quinn Mallory as played by Jerry O'Connell, Wade Welles as played by Sabrina Lloyd, Rembrandt Brown as played by Cleavant Derricks, and John Rhys-Davies as "Arturo." The second thing I care about most is Temporal Flux's brilliant ideas.

For a long time, I felt a bit... threatened... by the idea of SLIDERS returning. Because I have a place in SLIDERS history. I wrote the last SLIDERS story. I wrote SLIDERS REBORN which is really SLIDERS: THE END, the final adventure for Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo. So I understand that feeling of not wanting a reboot or a revival -- but I've come to decide that, at least in my case, that is selfish and I have let that go. Regardless of what comes next for SLIDERS, I will always be the writer of SLIDERS' twentieth anniversary special which was the ending that was needed for 2015 - 2016.

And Transmodiar -- his work is good. We would all like it. It is not SLIDERS. I feel -- and Transmodiar doesn't -- that his work would be better if SLIDERS were revived; his property would become *his* property instead of being a SLIDERS-analogue. He will always be the person who created... whatever it is that he's creating that I won't discuss beyond his self-posted vagaries -- whether or not his work exists in the same world as a SLIDERS revival.

And Temporal Flux will always be *the* SLIDERS expert and authority on the series even if he made me take that off the DECLASSIFIED title page. And JWSlider3 will always be a very nice person for sharing all this with us. Thank you for that. It was very kind of you.

ireactions wrote:

I feel -- and Transmodiar doesn't -- that his work would be better if SLIDERS were revived; his property would become *his* property instead of being a SLIDERS-analogue.

TV doesn't work that way. The vaguely analogous project you're talking about had traction and a major production company interested in it until "Timeless" was announced. Networks don't like juggling competing premises, even when one is about time travel and the other is about parallel universes.

Yes, I'm selfish - my concept, to me, is better than Sliders. And it has replaced Sliders as my passion project over the years. But I also think Torme is also selfish, trying to reframe a property that with the same old parts. Even if I didn't have a vaguely analogous project of my own to compete for my affection, I would have a hard time caring about Sliders in 2021. People feel the same way about Star Wars and Star Trek, two IPs with vastly bigger fanbases. I couldn't give two squirts about the sequel trilogy and Paramount's multiple new Trek shows register a shrug. I just don't care. That says as much about me as it does about the name brand, and I don't mind admitting it.

14 (edited by ireactions 2021-03-05 11:15:38)

Transmodiar wrote:

The vaguely analogous project you're talking about had traction and a major production company interested in it until "Timeless" was announced. Networks don't like juggling competing premises, even when one is about time travel and the other is about parallel universes.

I'm sorry to hear that, but it wasn't the first story idea you ever had and it certainly doesn't have to be the last. You could always find some other medium for your project if not American serialized television, or you could do something new.

Transmodiar wrote:

Yes, I'm selfish - my concept, to me, is better than Sliders. And it has replaced Sliders as my passion project over the years. But I also think Torme is also selfish, trying to reframe a property that with the same old parts. Even if I didn't have a vaguely analogous project of my own to compete for my affection, I would have a hard time caring about Sliders in 2021. People feel the same way about Star Wars and Star Trek, two IPs with vastly bigger fanbases. I couldn't give two squirts about the sequel trilogy and Paramount's multiple new Trek shows register a shrug. I just don't care. That says as much about me as it does about the name brand, and I don't mind admitting it.

I don't think 'people' are having any trouble caring about STAR TREK and STAR WARS. Your indifference is your own. I suspect it's because you have reached a point many people never do; you are no longer interested in merely consuming content. You want to create your own. You are also expressing dismay for how revivals, reboots and franchises stamp out original creativity in original work -- and that's a very legitimate area of debate.

However, I don't see how Torme is being 'selfish'; he created a series that was mutilated. If he has a chance to bring it back as he sees fit, why shouldn't he try? That said, if he's insistent on rehiring an over the hill and aged leading man, a performer who's mostly doing stagework (until a pandemic hit), a semi-retired English character actor, and an actress who has moved to Kenya and doesn't act anymore -- the odds are not in his favour.

Your work is not better than SLIDERS. No one is going to do a better SLIDERS than SLIDERS. SLIDERS is a simple, beautiful format of conceptual perfection. Quinn Mallory and his friends are lost in the multiverse trying to find their way back home.

Your concept -- which I will not detail -- strikes different notes and has a Transmodiar-brand of simplicity that neither improves upon nor pales in comparison to SLIDERS. They may use some of the same paints and brushes, but they're two very different paintings from two very different people. No one is going to make a better version of Transmodiar's ________________ than Transmodiar's ________________.

I don't know if it'll happen, but it's wonderful to imagine Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John -- today -- standing in that basement set once again.

https://i.ibb.co/0f21RmY/Older-Sliders.jpg

Transmodiar's Worst Nightmare (although it shouldn't be)

JWSlider3 wrote:

WOW, amazing news! smile <3 JWSlider3, are you going to call him in next days and ask about this meeting, please? smile))))

I would be in heaven if I could watch new episodes with original four Sliders! <3

ireactions wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, but it wasn't the first story idea you ever had and it certainly doesn't have to be the last. You could always find some other medium for your project if not American serialized television, or you could do something new.

Oh, I know - and you know I've done many new things. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you can't be too precious about your ideas in the television industry. 

ireactions wrote:

I don't think 'people' are having any trouble caring about STAR TREK and STAR WARS. Your indifference is your own.

Well, I wouldn't say that indifference is not exclusively mine - there are plenty of fans of both franchises that have thrown up their hands and walked away. For "Star Wars," it's because it's a derivative mess; for "Star Trek," the spirit of the franchise has been subverted. I guess I'm unique in that I'm not filled with rage at these developments?

ireactions wrote:

I suspect it's because you have reached a point many people never do; you are no longer interested in merely consuming content. You want to create your own. You are also expressing dismay for how revivals, reboots and franchises stamp out original creativity in original work -- and that's a very legitimate area of debate.

I won't argue with that.

ireactions wrote:

However, I don't see how Torme is being 'selfish'

I will argue with this. If Torme has a chance to get another shot with his property - something that VERY rarely comes along - the last thing he should do is impose a specific course of action during a pitch meeting. Demanding the return of Quinn, Arturo, Wade, and Rembrandt, played by the original actors, is bad jojo and could potentially eliminate the series for the fans that want to see it return. It's the very definition of selfish.

ireactions wrote:

Your work is not better than SLIDERS. No one is going to do a better SLIDERS than SLIDERS. SLIDERS is a simple, beautiful format of conceptual perfection. Quinn Mallory and his friends are lost in the multiverse trying to find their way back home.

And yet the majority of the series, as shot, isn't even the SLIDERS you describe. It's hunting a serial killer, finding a superweapon, killing Kromaggs, and splitting Quinn Mallories. The original conceit got lost around episode 40, and there were 47 more episodes after that. How will that get reconciled?

ireactions wrote:

Your concept strikes different notes and has a Transmodiar-brand of simplicity that neither improves upon nor pales in comparison to SLIDERS. They may use some of the same paints and brushes, but they're two very different paintings from two very different people.

I understand that. My series has superficial resemblances, but where you're working in the television medium superficial resemblances are all it takes to spike a project. Something I developed with Jon Povill vaporized when Hulu's series "The First" was announced (and subsequently cancelled for being shitty). Does our series have anything to do with Mars? No, but there's just enough tangential similarity that it's been tabled.

Transmodiar's worst nightmare isn't seeing the original Sliders. Just have the series start with the original actors who, after living on a parallel earth for 29.7 years, gather to decide whether or not to slide. Maybe Arturo and Quinn have a bead on how to return home after all that time, and they decide to give it a try. And they have a failsafe to return to this world - which, for Quinn and Wade, is more of a home than Earth Prime - in case their explorations fail. And, in the process, they rediscover the love of sliding that prompted their original journey.

It's not tough. I just don't think it will drive a big audience.

17 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-03-05 17:02:35)

What's really interesting in people who did not even want to think about  sliders for most of the last 20-25 years -- john, tracy and even sabrina -- have been recharged around it or are starting to come around.  some of the wounds have healed. 

it's obviously a long shot but happy the old gang is engaged.  and that they are looking back at their creation and each other with the fondness and respect it deserves.  even though getting something done would be a longshot, it would be cool if they collaborated creatively to envision something.  i'm sure eventually we'd hear about it.

Transmodiar wrote:

Well, I wouldn't say that indifference is not exclusively mine - there are plenty of fans of both franchises that have thrown up their hands and walked away. For "Star Wars," it's because it's a derivative mess; for "Star Trek," the spirit of the franchise has been subverted. I guess I'm unique in that I'm not filled with rage at these developments?

I personally have enjoyed all of STAR TREK and STAR WARS in recent years.

Transmodiar wrote:

If Torme has a chance to get another shot with his property - something that VERY rarely comes along - the last thing he should do is impose a specific course of action during a pitch meeting. Demanding the return of Quinn, Arturo, Wade, and Rembrandt, played by the original actors, is bad jojo and could potentially eliminate the series for the fans that want to see it return. It's the very definition of selfish.

Well, I'm a fan of SLIDERS and what I want most is to see Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo as played by Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John. They are the reason I came back to SLIDERS fandom; they are why I wrote six screenplays trying to create an approximation of their performances on paper.

https://i.ibb.co/PjNZcwP/cube.jpg

If someone wants to bring SLIDERS back, these are the faces I want to see. I completely agree that it sounds impractical and unlikely, but I'll assume positive intent and that Torme has a plan of some sort.

I fully concede that Torme's previous plans saw him driven off his own show.

ireactions wrote:

Transmodiar wrote:

And yet the majority of the series, as shot, isn't even the SLIDERS you describe. It's hunting a serial killer, finding a superweapon, killing Kromaggs, and splitting Quinn Mallories. The original conceit got lost around episode 40, and there were 47 more episodes after that. How will that get reconciled?

I'm speaking about the SLIDERS brand concept. Four friends lost in the multiverse. It is effective, clear, straightforward, immediate, simple and beautiful. You are never going to beat the crystalline perfection of that brand concept with some legally dis-similar SLIDERS knockoff and in my view, you wisely didn't try and created something of your own. Transmodiar's _____________ is never going to be a better version of SLIDERS. And SLIDERS is never going to be a better version of Transmodiar's _____________.

Transmodiar wrote:

Just have the series start with the original actors who, after living on a parallel earth for 29.7 years, gather to decide whether or not to slide. Maybe Arturo and Quinn have a bead on how to return home after all that time, and they decide to give it a try. And they have a failsafe to return to this world - which, for Quinn and Wade, is more of a home than Earth Prime - in case their explorations fail. And, in the process, they rediscover the love of sliding that prompted their original journey. It's not tough. I just don't think it will drive a big audience.

Anyone disinterested in SLIDERS' potential revival is absolutely free to not engage with it and do some original work that meets their current interests.

I'll just reiterate my personal fondness for Temporal Flux's and Transmodiar's SLIDERS REDUX which I will continue to update every year.

So what you're saying is... we have different opinions? Perish the thought! I thought we were merged at the brain stem, MALLORY-style! :-D

20 (edited by Grizzlor 2021-03-05 18:45:50)

Let me say that there is zero chance on this or most other worlds that Tracy Torme has any intention of "filling the void" from ANY work done following his loss of input/control on the series.  He's made that clear I think over the years, and normally swears he's never seen most of it either, which I do believe.  When he's quoted as saying "the passage of time," he likely just means to explain what these people have been doing/where have they been for 25 years?  With the stopping off point likely being some point in Season 3, but more than likely simply Vancouver.

Whether the exact story is close or not, I am completely on TF's side of the road on this.  You have to start with a modern day story, and at least a partially NEW cast.  In their travels, the story re-introduces Jerry O'Connell's Quinn, and then whoever else signs on.  You can also establish their 25 year backstory/gap in flashbacks as you go.  The goal is to sell this to an audience that likely has never seen nor remembers the original show very well. 

One scenario I guess would be like The Guardian, where you might reboot with a young Quinn and company, who run into the older versions.  I'm not in huge favor of this though it could work.

21 (edited by ireactions 2021-03-05 22:42:51)

Transmodiar wrote:

So what you're saying is... we have different opinions? Perish the thought! I thought we were merged at the brain stem, MALLORY-style! :-D

I'd argue that you don't have an opinion on a SLIDERS revival as much as an aversion to a SLIDERS revival in general as well as a distaste for any revival of anything, really.

There's a fair point to that. Why do all these old properties keep getting revived? Because they're owned by massive multinational corporations who would rather perpetuate a brand they own lock, stock and barrel. It's endless regurgitation (oooh, there's a great SLIDERS REBORN title).

However, this is a SLIDERS message board. A SLIDERS fan has shared news of a potential SLIDERS revival led by the co-creator of SLIDERS and one of the original producers of SLIDERS with the aim to reunite the original cast of SLIDERS.

There is a certain absurd arrogance to declaring on a SLIDERS message board that SLIDERS should never return because it would be unwelcome competition for one's own creative projects -- such as in 2019 when JWSlider3 shared an article about John Rhys-Davies looking into a revival, and I talked about how my life since age 12 had been a traumatized reaction to the death of Professor Arturo and I'd finally finished that journey with my fan fiction and didn't want to go through it again -- as though SLIDERS were merely an extension of my own ego.

JWSlider3 replied, "You talk about that and make it sound like your father died! And if that's what it was like, then SLIDERS coming back would be an incredible thing -- wouldn't it?"

Two years later, I would like to change my response to that question. Yes, JWSlider3. If SLIDERS came back with Tracy Torme, Jacob Epstein, Jerry O'Connell, Sabrina Lloyd, Cleavant Derricks and John Rhys-Davies, it would be wonderful. And it wouldn't undo or dismiss anything I've contributed; it would be a validation of my belief that SLIDERS is something special and worth seeing again today. If SLIDERS came back, it would be a dream come true.

Grizzlor wrote:

I am completely on TF's side of the road on this.  You have to start with a modern day story, and at least a partially NEW cast.  In their travels, the story re-introduces Jerry O'Connell's Quinn, and then whoever else signs on.  You can also establish their 25 year backstory/gap in flashbacks as you go.  The goal is to sell this to an audience that likely has never seen nor remembers the original show very well. 

One scenario I guess would be like The Guardian, where you might reboot with a young Quinn and company, who run into the older versions.  I'm not in huge favor of this though it could work.

From JWSlider3's account, Tracy Torme is pursuing a SLIDERS revival with the original cast. Not new characters like STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION. Not recast versions of the originals like STAR TREK (2009). It sounds like he is on Temporal Flux's side -- Temporal Flux of 2000, that is, where TF favoured the idea of soft-rebooting SLIDERS with a Quinn-double who discovers sliding at Jerry O'Connell's present-day age instead of in 1994. I understand the branding logic to that: if you don't have Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo played by Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John, is it really SLIDERS? It might as well be PARALLELS.

But I also understand the logistical difficulties of that: hiring the originals means that any chance of a long, successful year run is curtailed by the age and availability of four specific actors, two of whom will not sign up for five to seven years.

I admit -- I am not enthusiastic about DECLASSIFIED as a revival option conceptually in that when I think of SLIDERS, I think of Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John. However, every time I read DECLASSIFIED, I am experentially won over by the charm, humour, warmth and Temporal Flux's uncanny ability to recapture and extrapolate upon the satire and twisted comedy and eccentric tone and spirit of SLIDERS which, in TF's hands, has absolutely nothing to do with Jerry's gravity, Sabrina's earnest screen presence, Cleavant's comic timing and John's bombast.

DECLASSIFIED argues that SLIDERS is bigger than its actors and it's a winning argument. It doesn't seem to be Torme's argument, however.

On a side note, I went to a STAR WARS online forum and posted a complaint that STAR WARS productions are being made, saying this interfered with my ability to do space opera action stories of my own and conceivably sell a legally dis-similar STAR WARS derivative project called INTERSTELLAR SCUFFLES.

I also went to a DIE HARD message board and complained that a DIE HARD prequel is likely to be made as this would conflict with my intention to sell a screenplay or two about a law enforcement officer trapped in a building filled with heavily armed villains that I'm calling LIVE PLIABLY.

I later went to a ROBOCOP forum and issued a complaint that a potential sequel to ROBOCOP would prevent me from pursuing my own project involving a cybernetically enhanced law enforcement officer called SYBER SERGEANT.

I then went to a SHERLOCK HOLMES forum to demand that the next Robert Downey Jr. adaptation be called off as it would prevent me from selling my own Victorian detective series, SEDGEWICK HALL.

Afterwards, I flew out to Los Angeles and skydived into Kevin Feige's backyard where he was meditating and I told him that under no circumstances was he to produce a YOUNG AVENGERS movie because that could prevent me from conceivably selling my own property called TWEEN ANGST BRIGADE.

Shortly after this, I went across town to visit Ta-Nehisi Coates where I told him that I do not approve of him writing a new SUPERMAN movie because that could conceivably prevent me from selling my own Superman analogue in a project called OMNITHEM. I also informed Coates that if he insists on writing a SUPERMAN movie, he is to stay within a narrow set of parameters laid out by me so as not to curtail my efforts to sell my currently unsold, unproduced project.

During the flight home, I noticed on a SLIDERS message board that there was talk of a reboot or revival and I immediately descended upon the SLIDERS message board to declare that there should be no SLIDERS series because that might interfere with me selling a SLIDERS-derivative series -- or I would have except somebody else had beaten me to it.

In continuing with my research, I recently paid visits to the PUNKY BREWSTER, SAVED BY THE BELL and X-FILES forums. I declared that these shows should never have been revived because it deprived me of the chance to introduce the world to my legally dis-similar derivatives, JUNKY STEWSTER, CONDEMNED BY THE KLANG and THE PSI ARCHIVES. I also declared that JUNKY STEWSTER, CONDEMNED BY THE KLANG and THE PSI ARCHIVES were vastly superior to tired copyrights like PUNKY BREWSTER, SAVED BY THE BELL and THE X-FILES.

Shockingly, the response from the fans in those forums were rather condemning, snarling at me that:

(a) These were forums for fans of these shows
(b) These fans were happy about the idea of a long gone series making a return
(c) These fans were interested in discussing the content of a revival of their show, not someone else's hypothetical show.
(d) These fans were not going to be placated by some random on the internet making vague allusions to a similar series that is, for all intents and purposes to a general audience, totally non-existent.
(e) These fans also wondered why someone who only dismissed and disdained their show were even on this forum on the first place.

These fans also informed me that if I wanted to complain about their actual show interfering with my hypothetical show -- perhaps I could discuss it with my mother or my father or my therapist or my wife or, I dunno, start my own thread -- as opposed to inflicting my contempt and disdain upon people sharing their news, happiness and hope about the idea of a revival.

Imagine that.

In another communication, I got in touch with director James Mangold who was hosting a virtual Zoom meeting with various Indiana Jones fans at the time to promote the fifth INDIANA JONES movie.

I told Mangold and all the fans in the meeting that Mangold ought to cease directing INDY5 because it was interfering with my ambitions. You see, I myself had been writing Indiana Jones fanfic during the late 90s and early 2000s and had then spent many years altering my fanfics to replace Indiana Jones with an original character named Alabama Smith which I might not be able to sell if INDIANA JONES 5 were made.

Mangold and his audience were strangely unreceptive, instead asking me: who forced me to spend 10 - 15 years of my life rewriting Indiana Jones fanfic into an legally dis-similar Indiana Jones derivative?  Why did I think it unfair that my derivative might be displaced by the original from which my derivative had been derived? Why was I telling fans of the original from which my derivative had come that my derivative was somehow superior to their original and making such an unprovable assertion? Why was I making such claims to them regarding the superiority of my derivative property in which they had no interest (or even material to review)?

I replied that Indiana Jones was a spent concept and character and that I myself had plenty of Indiana Jones material but had not bothered to update my website, indyfan.com, since 2007 because Indiana Jones was so beneath me as a creator and unworthy of my time and interest and that naturally, I felt that a discussion forum for fans of Indiana Jones was the perfect place to declare my disinterest for the character and to convey how, despite being the person behind indyfan.com, the premier Indiana Jones website online, I don't actually care that much about Indiana Jones and don't even like the character any more and now only view him as a means to promoting my (supposedly) original, legally dis-similar Alabama Smith.

Made a lot of friends that day!

25 (edited by Transmodiar 2021-03-07 11:57:13)

So, congratulations on shitting all over my comments by posting way more thinly-veiled words than I wrote, and have stopped writing?

You just spit out a four-page paper (971 words, 5,705 characters) across three posts to put me in my "place." Kudos!

In other news, I recently complained in a WALKER, TEXAS RANGER forum that the show should not have been rebooted because it curtailed my efforts to sell a legally distinct derivative analogue I had titled PACER: WISCONSIN TROOPER by taking all my WALKER, TEXAS RANGER fanfics and changing all the names and altering the underlying mythology. I then explained that PACER: WISCONSIN TROOPER was in every way superior to a WALKER, TEXAS RANGER reboot. And I humbly proposed that the forum retitle itself PACER: WISCONSIN TROOPER in recognition of my hypothetical project's obvious supremacy.

I now have a legion of Jared Padalecki fans calling for my head and could be a in a lot of trouble, so I'm not able to give your concerns my undivided focus as I'm trying to upscale SLIDERS while temporarily relocating to a bunker in an undisclosed location.

I will also take some time to protest that new NINJA TURTLES cartoon. RISE OF THE NINJA TURTLES has made my own legally dis-similar project, AIKIDO AARDVARKS unsellable. I shall convey my frustration to NINJA TURTLES fans in a NINJA TURTLES forum and see how that goes.

Bye for now!

Well, that was interesting. In terms of putting people in their places -- let me put myself in mine -- or at least the place I want to be:

JWSlider3, thank you so much. It meant so much to me that you made the call that you did and shared what you have here. Maybe it won't go anywhere, I don't know. But you passing on this message is so important and special. You have assured us that the creator of SLIDERS values and misses the show as much as the fans do. You let us know that he is trying to bring SLIDERS back and that if he can do SLIDERS on his terms, it will be a version of SLIDERS featuring Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo played by Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John. Even if this is yet another attempt that fades away like the others, it is truly validating to know that Tracy Torme still cares about SLIDERS and is deeply loyal to *the* sliders. I am so grateful to you for this beautiful gift you have given to all SLIDERS fans.

ireactions wrote:

Well, that was interesting. In terms of putting people in their places -- let me put myself in mine -- or at least the place I want to be:

JWSlider3, thank you so much. It meant so much to me that you made the call that you did and shared what you have here. Maybe it won't go anywhere, I don't know. But you passing on this message is so important and special. You have assured us that the creator of SLIDERS values and misses the show as much as the fans do. You let us know that he is trying to bring SLIDERS back and that if he can do SLIDERS on his terms, it will be a version of SLIDERS featuring Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo played by Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John. Even if this is yet another attempt that fades away like the others, it is truly validating to know that Tracy Torme still cares about SLIDERS and is deeply loyal to *the* sliders. I am so grateful to you for this beautiful gift you have given to all SLIDERS fans.

That is a ditto for me.  Couldn’t have put it better.

ireactions wrote:

I feel the same, thank you JWSlider3! smile

For a long time, I felt that it might be best if SLIDERS didn't return or would be best as an echo in a separate series about parallel universes. My reason for that: I didn't believe Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John could or would return; I expected a studio would want a new cast -- and if the characters were recast, they would effectively be new characters with the same names. Is it really SLIDERS if it's not the original quartet? And if it's new characters who aren't *the* sliders, how is it really SLIDERS?

However, TF presented a few things that made me change my mind and realize I would accept a recasting and new characters (even though that isn't what Torme seems to be pursuing).

Temporal Flux wrote:

For each person, the question comes down to why do you love Sliders?  Is it the characters?  The actors?  The overall concept?  The writing?  Is it the brand? (which includes everything - especially the name).

I think the brand is important because it draws in people.  The fond memory is there labeled as Sliders; and millions of people watched Sliders on Fox.  There is pop culture that can keep it alive in people too (as I’ve noted on this board several times, that little blue vortex still occasionally pops up in shows sending people to other dimensions; and I don’t believe that to be a coincidence).

To give an example of why I feel brand is important, I would cite the original Knight Rider vs Viper.  Both shows feature a man and his super car fighting crime.  Both shows can be considered successful - Viper lasted for four seasons on network and in syndication - Viper made people some money.  But how many of you even remembered Viper until I brought it up now?  I bet you’ve remembered Knight Rider more despite its failed reboots that didn’t respect the brand.

I’m really not interested in some other show that evokes a legally distinct echo of what I’ve loved. It would be extremely hard to capture my heart as a fan; that space is already filled.  I would only be left comparing the pretender to what I loved; and it would likely never live up to that memory.  The same can be true of a total brand reboot; but at least the brand is there to draw you in and give it a chance.

I would note an exception in Orville, though; and I was initially repulsed by the idea.  The only reason I tried it was because of the creators involved, and they didn’t disappoint.

So, what would I like to see with Sliders?  A continuation with new characters that play in the same multiverse as the original series.  It could retain the brand; give the new show room to live and breathe; and leave the door open to occasionally visit the memories as more than a subtle wink.  It would be part of the family and not a stranger at the door.

I would go even farther than that. I would say that the parts of SLIDERS that make it special and worth pursuing aren't just the brand, but legally specific to the brand and cannot be reproduced by a different show about parallel universes.

The concept of being lost in the multiverse trying to find home is so relatable, creating a poignant sense of longing balanced against the joy of exploring a new parallel Earth every week. The plot device of the timer is so perfect as a dramatic ticking clock that's also a prototype assembled in a college kid's basement.

The juxtaposition of two adventurous twentysomethings and two older people in their forties and fifties adds contrast and perspective. The deliberate choice of characters who are civilians heightens the sense of danger and threat. All of this could survive the recasting or new hiring that might be needed to move SLIDERS into 2021 and beyond.

And then, of course, there is the satirical, comedic tone of the show as it pokes fun and societal, political and economical conventions. TF's SLIDERS DECLASSIFIED demonstrated on this is not tethered to Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo; it's in the plotting, dialogue and descriptions and even without the original sliders, TF was able to reproduce the original style.

I am not entirely sure if the brand is tied to the style.

SLIDERS is a truly unique show. It is a very special concept and a very unique brand property. It spoke wonderfully to an audience in 1995 and it could do so again. I really hope that it will be revived.

Transmodiar wrote:

I've got other things to prioritize; that's why you haven't seen updates to Earth Prime even though I've got plenty to share. The audience isn't there.

wait hold on i want to know what the updates are lmao

I'm sure that if he has something to share and has the time and inclination to do so, he will set it up and announce it in a bold new thread.

Torme seeking a SLIDERS revival with the original cast -- obviously, this could easily blow up in his face as studios generally don't want to hire actors who won't commit to 5 - 7 years. They are also not keen on hiring men like Cleavant and John who are near and past their 70s to handle the physical labour of headlining a TV show.

I generally only expect to see this devotion from a crazy, deeply overinvested, highly overzealous and obsessively overcommitted fan... or a creator who may have come through some recent health issues and may be pursuing his dream project like there's no tomorrow because he almost didn't have one?

I really would expect most TV producers to try to get their creation back on the air in whatever format a studio and network would be likely to finance. Torme has apparently chosen another route. It could be incredibly stupid. We may, in time, confer about this and agree that it was the dumbest possible move he could possibly make --

But SLIDERS is Torme's creation. It's Torme's show, it's Torme's mistake to make. If it goes wrong, I'll take the time to be annoyed about it later. But for now, for the moment -- I"m just going to be happy that Torme loves his show and his characters.

I'm going to be touched that he would like to show us who Quinn and Wade would be in their late 40s in an age of near-instant data transmission and cloud computing. Who Rembrandt would be in his 60s amidst iTunes and Spotify. Who the Professor would be in his 70s as higher education has been commodified more than ever.

I know that it is unlikely and it may not happen. But it's really nice to think about it -- and it'd be good to see them again.

TemporalFlux wrote:

I believe in what Tracy and Bob created.  I believe it has potential that was never realized.  I believe it deserves a second chance.  But that said, I don’t believe it can pick up like it’s 1995 again and be successful.  A lot has changed; and it’s going to take a broader net to capture the largest audience.

But as I stated before, my answer to this puzzle was Sliders: Declassified.

http://freepdfhosting.com/dbc626c123.pdf

And as far as I’m concerned, Tracy can have the idea if it will help him.  I can help further too; but I know how all of this works, and I understand.  We’re a long way from the days of Gene reading blind script submissions.

If DECLASSIFIED became SLIDERS 2021, I'd be a very happy fan. I'd love to meet Chase, Gibbs, Reese and be reunited with Bennish. It would be a joy to hear Reese describe sliding as the pages of a book.

It's true that the mid-90s is a long time in the past. Would SLIDERS in 2021 with Torme at the helm be dated and out of touch? I personally think he was ahead of the curve in the 90s and the world has either caught up or is slightly behind.

Just for contrast: THE X-FILES revival had the original cast and creator. But despite returning to air in an age of serialization, Carter insisted on 1994 style standalones and refused to rewrite his staff's scripts to have consistent continuity. Mulder and Scully would go from living together as a couple in one episode to amicably separated the next, urgently searching for their son in one week to not mentioning him next week -- the show couldn't even figure out which cars they drove; in one episode, Mulder was taking rideshares while Scully drove the SUV that Mulder had owned a week before. It was alienating for a serialization-familiar audience.

That said -- THE X-FILES is Chris Carter's creation and these were his choices. I find the results baffling, he even recently did a podcast apologizing for the cliffhanger of Season 11 -- but ultimately, he created THE X-FILES and it was his show to make.

I doubt Tracy Torme has the same power as Chris Carter. But if Torme got the same chance as Carter, I'd feel optimistic about a hypothetical SLIDERS revival being up to speed with the times. Torme as a TV writer seemed a decade ahead of the 90s to me. He wanted to present characters who were misfits before or past their prime instead of aspirational magazine models. He wanted running plotlines and recurring guest-stars and returning villains. He wanted gradually evolving characters and regular conversations about how their previous adventures had changed them. He wanted to replace the Professor with an impostor. He wanted to do LOST-style TV before LOST existed.

Even if Torme is still stuck in 1994 as a teleplay writer, he'd just be normal today.

On casting: I'd be disappointed if what ultimately ends any chance of a Tracy Torme led revival/reboot is Torme refusing to recast the original sliders. But -- I fully respect Torme's (supposed) view that the only SLIDERS that he wants to do is SLIDERS with *the* sliders -- and that doing a show about alternate histories with other interdimensional travellers is a job for somebody else.

I'd personally be okay with Ally, Reese, Gibbs and Bennish becoming The Sliders; they have won me over. They wouldn't replace the originals in my heart, but they stand next to them. I'd be okay with a recast quartet of the originals.

I'm getting the (reported) sense that Torme would not be okay with it. I don't agree with that -- but I would accept it and thank him for the effort in trying to bring back the only version of SLIDERS that he wholeheartedly wants to do.

I'd be excited to see new SLIDERS from him. I don't know if the odds are good. I'm sure Jerry and Cleavant are game. But John Rhys-Davies is 76. Sabrina lives in Kenya.

It seems impractical, but even contemplating the possibility stirs something in me. A longing. A curiosity. Jerry O'Connell is 47 years old. Who is Quinn Mallory at age 47? My personal vision of Quinn is influenced by superhero comic books and acts as an attempt to turn into the swerve of Seasons 3 - 5. It's just fanfic. Torme's Quinn would be the *real* Quinn Mallory and the real Quinn never fought dragons and super-intelligent snakes and breeder parasites and intelligent flames. Who is the real Quinn today? Who did he become? What is he doing now?

It may be crazy for Torme to try to find out. But in 2021, it's a gift to be encouraged to think about it.

I'd be thrilled to see new Torme episodes in 2021. I'm happy to hear that Torme is pursuing his vision. And if it leads a confusing 16 episodes that ends on a cliffhanger like THE X-FILES or if it leads to absolutely nothing due to an insistence on casting -- I'd be disappointed. But I respect that SLIDERS is Tracy Torme's show for Torme to pursue in his way or not at all.

I'd like to think they'd at least try to acknowledge the last two seasons if they're bringing back the old cast.  I'd hate to think Maggie and Colin and Diana and Mallory meant nothing.

My guess is they could get all of the original four for at least a cameo.  Probably all four substitutes as well if they wanted them.  Would any of them sign up for a full series run?  Jerry would.  Cleavant and JRD might.  No way Sabrina would.  Kari, Tembi, and Charlie certainly would.  Rob, probably not.

I think pilight is right about what the cast would and wouldn't sign up for.

I get the sense that for Tracy Torme, SLIDERS ceased to exist after "The Guardian" and, fairly or unfairly, he probably won't take the time to learn about Maggie, Colin, Mallory or Diana in order to present those characters at all. That is the realm of a lunatic fanfic writer (hello).

This isn't realistic given the casting situation, but my guess is that Torme's dream vision of SLIDERS in 2021 is a remake of the Pilot updated to the present day. Slider_Quinn21 once suggested something like that (and I'll embellish it with ideas from TF):

Quinn is a 47 year old who lost his passion for science after failing to create anti-gravity; he became a student loan officer and accountant and hated by students and faculty alike; he's in trouble at work because he keeps blowing off his job to sit in on Arturo's lectures longingly.

Wade is a 49 year old manager of Doppler Computers who failed to become a tech entrepreneur and now miserably hawks smartphones. Rembrandt is a music teacher who failed to remain a star of the musical stage and now loathes the 10 year olds to whom he teaches trombone and he wishes he were dead.

The Professor is exactly the same except older, grayer and much more relaxed -- except when he sees Quinn as he loathes Quinn for abandoning science but not leaving the campus. Wade and Quinn are married but possibly not for much longer as Quinn's halfhearted tinkering with the anti-grav machine in the basement blows power to the block and costs them their house insurance and has Wade serving Quinn with divorce papers the next day.

Desperate to save his marriage, Quinn starts to disassemble the coils, but then he has an idea for a last new configuration. He accidentally opens a gateway. In shock, he passes out. When he wakes up, he discovers that (a) Wade is willing to reconcile with him if they'll go into counselling and that he somehow got their house paid off and their insurance situation fixed (b) Quinn has a new job offer from Arturo as a research assistant in applying engineering principles to the Professor's mathematics and (c) his anti-gravity equipment has been reconfigured into a sliding machine.

Quinn starts to wonder if he's losing his mind or memory only to be approached by a familiar stranger. It is Quinn Mallory. Quinn-2 says Quinn's clumsy vortex drew Quinn-2's slide trail to this world. He says he was sorry to see Quinn's life in such a state and thought he'd help him out with the three hours that he had: save his marriage, sell a few patents for him, get him a job he doesn't hate. Quinn-2 explains sliding and says he has been sliding since 1995 and he warns Quinn to be careful with it.

QUINN-2: "The first five years were rough. I lost Wade, Rembrandt and the Professor -- and getting them all back -- it was a miracle."

QUINN: "Who's Rembrandt?"

QUINN-2: "Maybe you'll find out. There are wonders out there, Quinn. But also horrors you can't imagine. It's beautiful. And it's not for the timid."

Quinn-2 leaves Quinn to his new adventures or to stay home. Quinn begins to work on sliding again and inevitably screws up, getting himself, Wade and the Professor lost along with a passing Rembrandt who just happened to be driving by the house, and the adventure begins again?

Maybe. I know it isn't plausible. But this is a place for dreams. :-)

It would be very easy to set up a situation for it to be just Quinn leading a new batch of sliders if Jerry is the only one to commit.

A couple of grad students are experimenting with wormholes, not 100% sure what they've stumbled on to.  They've been sending "probes", basically just radio controlled vehicles with cameras and microphones attached, then retrieving them a few minutes later.  So far everything that's been recorded has been very ordinary.  A beach, a forest, a park, a basement, etc.  They believe these are images of alternate universes but it's all so mundane it doesn't prove anything.  Then, while trying to bring back one probe they get an anomalous reading from the tunnel.  They assume an animal must have gotten into the wormhole with the probe.  Not knowing what effect sliding would have on a living creature or whether they might be bringing something too dangerous for them to handle they try to shut it down before whatever it is appears.  Just before the wormhole closes a man in his mid 40's comes tumbling out.  It's Quinn Mallory!  But, he's lost his memory of the last X years (we know it was the New Gods For Old nanoprobes, but he doesn't) but he remembers traveling with the original group and goes sliding to find them, accompanied by the students and the accidental addition of a random passerby.

His memory can be cut off at The Guardian, or any other point along the way as needed.  It doesn't even need to be explained to the audience as long as it's made clear it is not a side effect of sliding.  If Maggie is being used he can remember through Roads Taken and the repeat of the accidental passerby can be skipped.  If Diana is being used he can remember through New Gods For Old.

I really love pilight's idea.

I adore the idea of the audience identification point being some students trying to get into sliding, having no idea what they're doing -- and encountering Quinn Mallory.

In fact, perhaps in this situation, the students would be put in mortal peril and they are rescued by a 47-year-old Quinn Mallory played by a 47 year old Jerry O'Connell -- with some memory problems.

I really like Quinn's memory being QUANTUM LEAP swiss-cheesed too. It isolates the convoluted continuity that only a crazy person would care about (hi), but it allows it to come into play if Torme hires Chris Black or Marc Scott Zicree or anyone who might be familiar with those episodes.

The only 'concern' -- I wonder if it might be important for a 2021 audience to see Quinn Mallory as played by Jerry O'Connell discovering sliding for the first time and starting that journey with him (again). But I see how that sense of wonder could be assigned to the new kids. And I recognize that if Cleavant and John and Sabrina would only want to guest-star at most, this could be the way to go.

I wonder what Temporal Flux's DECLASSIFIED would be like if he'd had Jerry O'Connell signed to play Quinn for that fan film.

It sure is nice to read pilight's post and from that imagine Quinn in his late forties and coming back to save us and lead us back into the interdimension.

My expectations are quite low, as plenty of pitches get made that go nowhere.  That said, considering the "rumormongering" was that Torme was in poor health, if it's true he's up and at this now, I think that's great news alone barring anything else. 

@plight, I can assure you that Tracy has literally 0.0000001% of covering anything which occurred on the series once he lost control.  He has never watched any of those episodes, which I do believe.  If you've read his past comments, he's been emphatic on that.  In addition, most of his poking of fun at what was being done occurred during Season 3, such as the infamous Rembrandt in the Navy.  Whether he saw those episodes or more likely, merely read the scripts, not sure.

I didn't discuss this earlier, but Torme was extremely, gravely ill a few years ago and last year had heart surgery.

I didn't discuss it here because it was his private business and it would have been grossly inappropriate to reveal it -- except RussianCabbieLotteryFan informs me that Torme has discussed his health issues in a recent podcast. However, nobody was rumourmongering; someone accidentally mentioned "Torme's illness" and decided not to bring it up again. But Torme really was sick and he has, it seems, gotten through it. I did allude to it above where I remarked that Torme seems to be pursuing SLIDERS like there's no tomorrow, but only because Torme has lifted that veil.

Torme has undoubtedly seen "Rules of the Game" and "Double Cross" and "The Guardian" (haha), he definitely saw "The Fire Within" and "Season's Greedings," and probably "Dead Man Sliding" -- but he switched off eventually, apparently seeing Part 2 of "The Exodus" but not Part 1 -- although I'll note that what he said in his 1997 - 2000 interviews and chats may have changed in the years since then. But it's quite clear that as far as he's concerned, SLIDERS stops with "The Guardian."

Ah well I recalled reading it, but obviously thankful he's doing good.

What episodes or scripts that Tracy read or saw from S3 really isn't relevant.  The only "key" continuity points from that season included the following....

Sliding radius changes (Double Cross), as well as Logan St. Clair introduced.
Arturo is shown to be ill (The Guardian).
Original timer bye-bye, new timer introduced (Slide Like an Egyptian).
Arturo might be cured? (Desert Storm).
Maggie introduced/Arturo dies (The Exodus).
Smarter Quinn returns, laments having given Kromaggs Sliding (The Other Slide of Darkness).

Whether "Wrong" Arturo is dead or not won't matter, as Torme could just "find" the original one lost during PTSS.  The Sliding radius I'm sure makes sense to have as a larger one, but who knows?  Which timer gets used, who cares?  Again I cannot see Maggie/Smarter Quinn/Kromagg origin or anything on Sci-Fi making it into Tracy's notebook, since he didn't do it in the first place.  There's just not much he would have to worry about.

I suspect he would at least review the last half of the show to avoid repeating something they've already done.  They would look very silly doing another Kromagg western or diamond heist or show with living flames.

43 (edited by ireactions 2021-03-12 15:40:16)

I don't know if Torme and a studio would be in a position to worry about even Seasons 1 and 2, never mind 3 to 5. A revival, I think, would have to start from the beginning again: to the audience, the sliders in a revival are the first sliders making the first slide for their first adventure.

If Torme gets his wish to see Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John reunited as Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo as the leads, I think it would have to be a 47 year old Quinn discovering sliding for the first time; a 50 year old Wade struggling to assert herself in a male-dominated tech world; a 67 year old Rembrandt exasperatedly trying to earn a living in music; a 76 year old Professor Arturo stewing that he never received the recognition that his genius deserved.

Also, despite Torme being a UFO obsessive and a STAR TREK writer and Gene Roddenberry's protege, it seems clear: Torme does not like fantasy fiction in SLIDERS. He doesn't want slidetech driven stories; he doesn't want to worry about geographic spectrum stabilizers -- the Pilot is so incredibly, wholly, totally uninterested in the specific mechanics of how the sliding machine works. He is instead very focused on alternate histories, satirical comedy and social commentary. He's never going to think of SLIDERS in terms of the Colin clone arc or splitting the Quinns.

Temporal Flux wrote this guide for how to write a SLIDERS story and I'm pretty sure that it's Torme's playbook as well.
http://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?pid=10285#p10285 

I just don't see Seasons 3 - 5's issues or characters or arcs or considerations being in Torme's playbook for this hypothetical revival and it probably wouldn't be in any hypothetical studio's playbook either. He would probably just start over. I imagine a studio would want him to start over and reboot.

And given that Torme is not insane -- maybe his idea for reuniting the original cast is to pull a STAR TREK 2009; hire younger actors to play younger versions of the original sliders, but use the original actors to play their older selves in flash-forwards or to play doubles on Van Meer Earths where time is ahead.

And regarding the original continuity: if a soft-reboot of SLIDERS in 2021 happens -- maybe it could open the door to SLIDERS audioplays set in 1996 with the original actors.

Torme could dust off his old "Slide Effects" script which resurrects the characters in one episode and rewinds the clock back to before Arturo's death. He can do an alternate Season 3, a replacement Season 3 in audioplays with the original cast and tell the stories he wanted to tell in 1997 but couldn't, write (or commission others to write) the 90s-era SLIDERS stories set in that specific period in the past -- and end his version of the show of that era in that medium on his terms.

Maybe. As Grizzlor says, lots of people pitch lots of things.

He should be disinterested in how sliding works.  We all should be.  As long as it works consistently, the technobabble explanations aren't important.  Star Trek got annoyingly tech-y in TNG and Voyager.  I suspect most fans would have been fine without ever hearing about multi-modal reflection sorting as long as the answer to "Can we beam through the shields?" was the same week to week.

pilight wrote:

I suspect he would at least review the last half of the show to avoid repeating something they've already done.  They would look very silly doing another Kromagg western or diamond heist or show with living flames.

HA HA HA!!!!  I can assure you that Tracy would sooner be lobotomized should his mind ever produce similar concepts!

If Jerry is the only returner and they want to ignore the prior canon, that's still pretty easy to handle.  Make him Professor Mallory and cast three new sliders to adventure with him.  That way you have the option of hooking in to the old show if you want, with the original Quinn being his double who went off sliding 25 years ago.

pilight wrote:

He should be disinterested in how sliding works.  We all should be.  As long as it works consistently, the technobabble explanations aren't important.  Star Trek got annoyingly tech-y in TNG and Voyager.  I suspect most fans would have been fine without ever hearing about multi-modal reflection sorting as long as the answer to "Can we beam through the shields?" was the same week to week.

I don't know about 'should'? Torme has a certain style -- but I hesitate to claim that his idiosyncrasies are strict rules; I'd just expect him to maintain them for his own stories and scripts. Whether or not the audience would approve or disapprove is another question entirely.

In terms of the sliding technology: it was obvious to me as a child that Torme the screenwriter didn't understand how the sliding technology functioned or what it had to do with (anti-)gravity. As an adult, it is obvious to me that Torme the screenwriter didn't care how the tech worked and was more interested in where the gateway took the characters.

One common criticism of the excellent Marc Scott Zicree and his S4 scripts: he did little to no social satire and commentary and was instead focused on the sliding technology. While I wouldn't want every script to be tech oriented, one or two a season is certainly worthwhile. But I also wouldn't complain if there were none.

One common criticism of Torme in Season 1: his scripts strongly profess American exceptionalism and, by depicting all divergences from our world as abberant and dystopian, Torme implies (intentionally or not) that 1990s North America is a perfect utopia and every other Earth has gone wrong. This is something that "Eggheads," "The Weaker Sex" and "Luck of the Draw" quickly dispel with "Eggheads" noting the absurdity of obsessing over sports; "Weaker Sex" noting the arbitrary nature of any gender bias; "Luck of the Draw" noting that overpopulation kills far more than the Lottery's population control methods.

And ultimately, every writer who worked on the show or as a fan has focused on what appealed to them about SLIDERS. Torme liked comedy and social satire. Zicree was fascinated by the sliding technology.

Povill liked questioning the conventions of our Earth. Scott Smith Miller was all about alt-world concepts (not necessarily alt-history). Steve Brown was fascinated by the perceptual nature of reality. Tony Blake and Paul Jackson were concerned with action and banter. Nigel Mitchell liked alt-history and horror. Jason Gaston liked comic absurdity.

Temporal Flux likes comedy and satire but without Torme's fixation on American exceptionalism (hey, I finally found a distinction between the two!) and a more independent, skeptical perspective. Recall317 liked alternate history and lighthearted dramedy. I liked the four sliders.

None of those are right or wrong -- but I expect Torme to be focused on his own interests and not anyone else's.

Torme was into black comedy not science fiction, certainly not to what would have satisfied John Rhys-Davies.  Doubt that has really changed much.

49 (edited by Slide Override 2021-03-18 12:55:42)

If this monkey paw wish really does come to pass, I really do hope that it is a clean slate reboot.

If Nash Bridges can get a revival, surely there’s a place for Sliders

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/nash-bridge … s-revival/

My thoughts exactly!

Queer as Folk reboot ordered at Peacock as well.

The absence of O'Connell was the reason I got bored with Sliders.  His presence will be the reason to start watching again, if that happens.

Fingers crossed.

if they can bring back The Noid they can bring back sliders

Even “The Munsters” is coming back.  THE MUNSTERS!

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/the-mun … confirmed/

56 (edited by Tucker 2021-06-19 15:09:19)

Of all things an old Nicolodean show called iCarly is coming back so we may have some hope for a sliders reboot if all of these things are hitting air. I think what would need to be done though would be for someone to bring it back into the spotlight for a hot second. Maybe they make a Sliders-esque commercial or something, kind of like how they parodied Ferris Bueller for a Dominos commericial.

I talked to Tormé last night. He said that they are still in talks. He said that he written a pilot script that would explain what has happened time wise and  character wise.

He still seems very optimistic about the shows return and wants me share with the forum that things are moving forward.

JWSlider3

JWSlider3 wrote:

I talked to Tormé last night. He said that they are still in talks. He said that he written a pilot script that would explain what has happened time wise and  character wise.

He still seems very optimistic about the shows return and wants me share with the forum that things are moving forward.

JWSlider3

that's awesome!

Well, if every time a show in development resulted in an actual show on the air, we'd have had seven SLIDERS revivals by now. But it really means a lot to me that Tracy Torme would still care about SLIDERS so much that he would try to bring it back with Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo as embodied by Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John. And to know that this specific version of the show is the one he wants to see return. Thank you again for sharing this, JWSlider3.

Well, I would definitely watch it (and buy a Peacock subscription for it if needed).  I support Tracy and hope he can find success!