Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe by Slider_Quinn21

I'm still thinking he's not any version of Pietro.  He's someone in disguise.  I've seen the theory that he's Nicholas Scratch, Agatha Harkness' son.  Could still be Mephisto or the Fox Pietro, but I think that's unlikely.

Very possible, but why would an impostor choose a different face to draw attention to his own disguise?

703 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2021-02-22 16:44:58)

In my head, we are overfocused on the idea that Evan Peters is Pietro in the Fox universe. I think it’s more of an Easter egg than anything plot related. I think, if it’s Nicholas Scratch, Scratch is showing his true face. And since no one knows who he is, no one is the wiser

I think if they could make him look like MCU Pietro, they would have. So I think he’s not looking “like someone” - Nicholas Scratch (or whoever he is) looks like Evan Peters in this universe

The biggest hole in this theory is the fact that we saw that brief moment of Pietro with gunshots. It doesn’t fit in my theory, unless it was just a moment of hypnosis to sell the theory.

I suppose that's possible. I look forward to answers. Are you still getting emails at your casual guy email address?

That email might have expired. Let me get a new one and I’ll post it here.

You can just email me at the address at the top of the forum.

Spoilers

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

In my head, we are overfocused on the idea that Evan Peters is Pietro in the Fox universe. I think it’s more of an Easter egg than anything plot related. I think, if it’s Nicholas Scratch, Scratch is showing his true face. And since no one knows who he is, no one is the wiser

I think if they could make him look like MCU Pietro, they would have. So I think he’s not looking “like someone” - Nicholas Scratch (or whoever he is) looks like Evan Peters in this universe

The biggest hole in this theory is the fact that we saw that brief moment of Pietro with gunshots. It doesn’t fit in my theory, unless it was just a moment of hypnosis to sell the theory.

Well, this week, Agatha says that Pietro was a fake who was "possessed" by her, which tracks with Pietro's dialogue sounding more like Agatha's character than the character played by Aaron Taylor Johnson. It's unclear, however, as to the identity of the person with Evan Peters' face and voice as Agatha is dismayed and jealous of Wanda's ability to create living matter and engage in transmutation at will (with these limitations also making it impossible for Agatha to make the impostor look like the Pietro that Wanda remembered).

It was also a shock to see that the Vision in WANDAVISION to date has never been the Vision but a simulacrum of some sort based on Wanda's memories of him with the actual Vision having always been in SWORD's keeping.

There is a really painful, agonizing tragedy to Wanda having experienced a horrific trauma -- the death of her parents -- while watching THE DICK VAN DYKE show. It's something I myself understand. Wanda turned to American sitcoms in her childhood for comfort; they brought her relief from the gunfire on the streets and the hunger and poverty and quiet desperation of her childhood.

This is something I really understand and relate to, having watched SLIDERS during a savagely violent childhood during which Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo brought me a lot of comfort and relief -- until they didn't and the brutal cruelty of the world I knew outside SLIDERS seem to infect the world within the TV show as well.

And I can understand Wanda's wish to retreat within the world that brought her comfort as a child and to effectively write a lavish self-insertion fanfic for THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, I LOVE LUCY, BEWITCHED, FAMILY TIES and MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE -- and to address her grief and loss in this context. However -- and this is very important -- one must use these safe spaces of conceptuality to fully confront one's own demons, regrets, fears and traumas, whereas Wanda has 'written' her fanfic simply to provide comfort and engage in avoidance and denial.

I loved episode 8.  As you described, it was haunting and beautiful and painful.  After assuming that they were going to reveal a greater villain (Mordo, Mephisto, Nightmare, etc), I'm starting to believe that the villain could end up being Wanda.  Maybe she accepts her role as the Scarlet Witch and goes on a rampage that extends into Dr Strange: the Multiverse of Madness.  Maybe having to kill the Vision *AGAIN* is too much for her and she has a breakdown that Dr Strange has to work with her to fix.  I don't know.

But there's so much to cover.  Even if this last episode is an hour of plot (so 1:07+ in total run time), I don't know if they can cover all that we want to cover.  I didn't think that the story was going to end on a true cliffhanger, but now I'm wondering if there's enough time for it to not end on a cliffhanger.

But it's really good.  I'll be happy however they conclude it (knowing that the story definitely continues in Dr Strange 2).

Marvel knocked it out of the park again with Wandavision.  Well done.

As for the aftermath...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

A few dangling threads left, but Marvel often likes to pace themselves and resolve things in time.  Of interest to me, Agent Woo’s missing person was never addressed. Who was in Westview as part of the witness protection program?  You don’t just drop something like that in a story with no plan to resolve it.

Here is an interesting theory:

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainmen … explained/

Peter did seem amused when Monica called him Boner (almost like it wasn’t his name).

I really liked it too! I was a bit confused as to who Billy and Tommy actually were, however -- but the series hit some strong notes of adjustment and acceptance in its closing scenes. I know who Billy and Tommy are because I am a huge fan of the YOUNG AVENGERS comic book series, but I wonder how that will play out in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There is a lot that's left open-ended with the Vision's fate and TF has pointed out one clear thread to be followed up on later.

I liked how the series observes that while the Vision may or may not be in 'circulation' again, Wanda's time of rest and respite in Westview must end in order to free the people and in order to conclude an untenable situation of conflict and danger. The quiet acceptance of the inevitable was heartfelt and Elizabeth Olsen played it beautifully.

Still kind of worried about the kids.

I’ll have to do a re-watch at some point.  It occurred to me today about the heart on the calendar in the first episode.  Wanda and Vision can’t remember what it means; but later in the series, we find out that Vision gave Wanda a map with a heart marking where their future home would be.

The heart was the first reminder of the truth seeping in from the real world.  It’s those little details that just really make a project amazing.

I was also really impressed by how the sitcom scenes didn't just apply a filter and crop the image; they actually used period-equipment to film the black and white sequences for their pastiches of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and BEWITCHED.

I also liked how Slider_Quinn21 was at least somewhat correct that we were overfocused on Evan Peters' casting (or at least I was).

I thought it was a lot of fun.  I'd pretty much determined that they weren't going to do anything too crazy, but I do think they left a couple of loose threads (the witness protection missing person and the engineer) were a bit odd.  I thought a Reed Richards cameo was more likely than a Mephisto, but the story was just a lot more centralized than people were expecting.  Which I was totally okay with.

I'm looking forward to Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

I liked the premiere of Falcon and Winter Soldier. I think it was a good setup and I like seeing the personal lives of Sam and Bucky.

But Tony wasn’t paying the Avengers? WTF, Tony?

Anyone else watch it?

I saw someone make an interesting observation.  Vision (who was just a few years old with questionable legal rights) was able to buy a residential plot, but Falcon can’t get a bank loan.  Of course, Vision was also essentially Tony Stark’s son.

Falcon is good so far, but I wish they had followed the comics and tackled the issue head on (and they still might).  In the original 80’s story, the Commission on Superhuman Activities determined that America wasn’t ready for a black Captain America, so Falcon was passed over.  I think that’s as relevant now as it was then.  Falcon is certainly a better choice than John Walker, and that highlights how judgments can’t be made on race.

It’s amazing how the stars aligned overall on doing this story again. John Walker was a product of the Reagan era; and now he’s a product of the Trump era.

Yeah I assume that’ll get mentioned as early as episode two. I think they wanted it to be Sam’s decision before giving the government’s reasoning

I saw this online but I think they had an easier explanation. Sam was legally dead so he has no money. Maybe the money he would’ve gotten vía Stark went into some sort of account that was frozen when he died. And Tony, having given up hope of fixing the snap, donated that money to help people affected. So maybe Sam just had zero dollars and would be in worse shape than his sister with no more Stark money to fund being the Falcon.

Alan Sepinwall brought up that post-Snap life probably wasn’t considered and that’s why it seems like such a mess so far. It’s easy for Feige and Co to maintain continuity at a high level, but when you dig into daily life, it’s much harder

Black Widow is delayed again

pilight wrote:

It will be the last delay, though.  Now that they’re also releasing it as a premium on Disney+, the theatrical release is an afterthought in Disney’s mind.

TemporalFlux wrote:
pilight wrote:

It will be the last delay, though.  Now that they’re also releasing it as a premium on Disney+, the theatrical release is an afterthought in Disney’s mind.

IOW the same strategy that made Raya and the Last Dragon a huge disappointment.  It seems clear that Disney is trying to keep Black Widow from being too successful.

How exactly is a movie studio supposed to release a film to cineplexes in a pandemic?

The only people who would see it are people eager to become infected with COVID-19 and die. Suicidal customers don't offer repeat business should they succeed in killing themselves.

Spoilers for Falcon and the Winter Soldier

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I really hope that John Walker doesn't end up a bad guy.  I really like Wyatt Russell as an actor, and I would love if his character stays heroic (even as an antagonist to Sam) and ends up just being US Agent.  I know it's probably going to end up where he takes Super Soldier serum and goes crazy, but I hope that's not the case.