Topic: Mystery Science Theater 3000 coming back to life

It's already made it's goal, so we're getting at least 3 new episodes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ms … gbackmst3k

I still remember the good 'ole days of "Caption This!" on the Sci-Fi Channel site where they would put up screen caps from the live tv feed and anyone looking at it could write a one liner about the cap like on MST3K.  We had a lot of fun with that.  smile

http://slidersweb.net/blinker/capped/index.htm

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000 coming back to life

Wow.

It feels like yesterday that I logged into the Sci-Fi Channel chat room and people were bemoaning the cancellation of the show.

Just a week left on Kickstarter. It was cancelled around the same time as Sliders. Maybe if this ends well a Sliders reboot Kickstarter will appear?

I'd love to see a MST episode where they do a Sliders episode...

Paradise Lost, Slither would be good candidates I think

And here we go again:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ms … emoremst3k

Tracy should consider a Kickstarter for Sliders.  Might be a dud, but worth a shot.

I guess the problem is the ownership as Torme, I imagine, only owns at most 10 per cent of the show.

8 (edited by JWSlider3 2021-04-08 08:38:14)

TemporalFlux wrote:

Tracy should consider a Kickstarter for Sliders.  Might be a dud, but worth a shot.

I have wondered about for audio drama (like Big Finish) versions of Sliders possibly a lost episode sorta thing with all of the original actors.

JWSlider3

jese they raised like 2m in a day.  yet as a show on netflix, thte numbers werent good enough to warrant renewal.  there sure is a lot of passion behind this show for a series that doesn't seem to have a ton of broad appeal.

And they did it again by raising even more money than last time - 6.5 million.

It’ll be coming back with 13 new episodes

TemporalFlux wrote:

And they did it again by raising even more money than last time - 6.5 million.

It’ll be coming back with 13 new episodes

wowwww

I've been reading more about the history of MST3000 and apparently, creator Joel Hodgson didn't own the rights until a lengthy collaboration and co-financing agreement with the DVD distributors who agreed to work with him to purchase the rights for a crowdfunded revival. I'm not sure this is a viable route to a SLIDERS revival; NBCUniversal has shown no inclination to do anything with SLIDERS, but I can't imagine a multinational corporation selling off one of their assets because just owning it allows them to claim it has a certain value that they can use to inflate their supposed worth and therefore extend their credit.

It happens sometimes, of course. Marvel nonsensically sold off the film and TV rights to the Hulk, Spider-Man, Daredevil, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four because they couldn't fathom financing and producing their own film and TV shows. I can't see NBCUniversal failing to have learned their lesson from other people's mistakes.

Also, I don't know if crowdfunding would produce enough to pay O'Connell and Davies their rates. Derricks hasn't been acting a lot even pre-pandemic; I think his earnings from Seasons 4 - 5 alone would have been sufficient for him to retire on if invested well and spent thriftily, and Lloyd seems to be living off her SPORTS NIGHT savings and investments herself. Crowdfunding might be sufficient for an audio drama, but again, there's that pesky rights issue.

If NBCUniversal has no interest in reviving Sliders, but other people in power are interested, I feel like they might sell of the rights. If the show were to come back, I probably see it being on Netflix or Disney+.

O'Connell might be okay with doing the show on a crowdfunded salary, but Davies would most definitly want a much bigger settlement. Derricks and Lloyd would probably be difficult to get if the show were to come back, but that is another story altogether.

But all in all, I don't think crowdfunding is the way to go to bring the show back. Sliders has a small fanbase, and of that small fanbase, there is an even smaller number of people who would give their money to Kickstarter for the possibility of the show coming back.

If Sliders is revived as an audio drama, there's almost no money needed. Just enough for the actors and audio equipment and can be hosted on any podcast website. But I don't think Sliders would be revived that way. Sliders is a pretty visual show. I'm just not sure how well it would translate to audio format. Plus, it's a very small medium that I don't think the actors would be interested in doing.