Re: Sliders: New DVD with Correct Episode Order, Fan Upscaling Experiments

Tucker wrote:

Probably the more complex explaination is that he knew Kromagg Prime Mrs. Mallory would be an on-going role and if he didn't like Linda Henning, he hired a new actress, while still kept her in that episode to explain her off in a way. But that's giving a little more credit then is needed to Peckinpah.

I have skimmed Reborn. That part of the explaination as far as I understood it was due to the universe being rewritten and stuff. You also included an explaination for the production order vs the airing order. Nice Job.

To be blunt, I don't know if the explanation is actually that strong. Part 4 of SLIDERS REBORN is a transcript of a conversation between a man in a mental asylum claiming to be an interdimensional traveller named Quinn Mallory. A psychiatrist listens to his crazy story. Quinn describes how he had four amazing years of adventures in sliding with Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo -- except in Year Five, they ran into Dr. Geiger's Combine experiment. Suddenly, reality shifted: Quinn found himself trapped in the body of another man, Mallory, Wade and the Professor were gone, Rembrandt's mustache vanished and there was this new slider, Maggie, whom Quinn had never met and didn't know.

Quinn was further confused when Mallory used a holographic memory machine on himself and Quinn proceeded to watch the first four seasons of SLIDERS as we know them in these holographic flashbacks. Quinn was baffled by what he saw: the day of the first slide, March 22, 1995, was now September 27, 1994. His adventures were being shown in the wrong order. The extra sliders of "Luck of the Draw" and "El Sid" and "Love Gods" would instantly vanish between slides. The third year had monsters and magic which he'd never encountered as well as the death of Professor Arturo which Quinn had never seen. The fourth year had the invasion of Earth. "It was like someone had taken my life and infused it with horror and madness," says Quinn. I think this is the part of the story that actually works; it features Quinn effectively watching SLIDERS as though he is a fan of SLIDERS and being upset by the network issues, production problems, cast departures and showrunner changes.

The explanation is later that Quinn's original memories are the original timeline and that Dr. Geiger's experiment ripped all Quinn-doubles of reality which, due to Quinn being an interdimensional traveller, was like tearing load bearing walls out of the entire multiverse. Reality collapsed, resulting interdimensional scar tissue to try to maintain the structure of reality via an altered timeline with a damaged form of Quinn's adventures, a form where the differences from the original were initially small but became more overt as events neared the ground zero point of the Combine disaster. This serves as a catch-all blanket explanation. The story further explains that the multiverse has the capacity to activate a 'system restore' function that's later used to restore the original Wade, and then the original timeline with the Kromaggs expunged from the rebuild.

This is the part where the story starts to make less and less sense because the rules and explanations don't really speak to any coherent or consistent perspective on physical reality.

There's an earlier passage in Part 3 where Quinn says that "all matter is frozen light." Arturo calls this "an absurd oversimplification" and I think Arturo is correct; in reality, light is not matter at all but electromagnetic radiation. However, in the context of SLIDERS, Quinn is correct because Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt, Arturo and everything around them were illuminated diodes on a cathode ray tube television and in the context of SLIDERS REBORN, everyone and everything is composed of pixels on a screen. The 'science' of SLIDERS REBORN is really the science of stories.

The dual timeline argument is not a rational one. Instead, it's emotional, declaring that the SLIDERS multiverse may have been warped and twisted into something obscene and unrecognizable, but it is fundamentally a fictional construct defined by friendship, teamwork, problem solving and the triumph of improvisation and imagination, and that however damaged or broken it may be, Quinn and Wade and Rembrandt and Arturo will always return to save it. The author can only hope that the reader is so won over by the conceit of Quinn watching SLIDERS as a fan and voicing the same complaints of fans that they'll accept the second half of the story.

Just a heads up guys.  There's a DVD AI upgrade enhancer software package normally 200 bucks that is free today.

https://sharewareonsale.com/product-tag … tive-deals

Search dvdfab video enhancer AI on the page.

Sadly, I won't be able to try this software. I thought about downloading it, but ultimately didn't because my gaming laptop is currently upscaling all my DUE SOUTH DVDs to 720p and I can't stop it right now to try a different software. Maybe you could take a run at some of the SLIDERS episodes.

Anyway. Get ready to see clips of Quinn and Wade's first date tonight in FakeD. :-D

ireactions wrote:

Sadly, I won't be able to try this software. I thought about downloading it, but ultimately didn't because my gaming laptop is currently upscaling all my DUE SOUTH DVDs to 720p and I can't stop it right now to try a different software. Maybe you could take a run at some of the SLIDERS episodes.

Anyway. Get ready to see clips of Quinn and Wade's first date tonight in FakeD. :-D

unfortunately, it didn't work on my computer, as I have an older version of Windows.  So no luck.

And one Nvidia graphics card reinstall later, we are back! Presenting Quinn and Wade's first (and last?) date in FakeD: https://mega.nz/folder/Ph5GBYxQ#KAHjapDSD1ReV3kWVSmNAg

ireactions wrote:

And one Nvidia graphics card reinstall later, we are back! Presenting Quinn and Wade's first (and last?) date in FakeD: https://mega.nz/folder/Ph5GBYxQ#KAHjapDSD1ReV3kWVSmNAg

cool

The finale of "The Weaker Sex" in FakeD where Arturo tries to lose an election.
https://mega.nz/folder/Ph5GBYxQ#KAHjapDSD1ReV3kWVSmNAg

There was a huge gap between recent sample updates because -- I'm actually not sure. I updated the driver to my Nvidia graphics processing unit and for some reason, Handbrake lost the ability to do GPU-enhanced video encoding. Instead of using the graphics card, the computer was using the Intel processor which was way too slow for daily encodes. I had to start from the earliest driver available and keep uninstalling and reinstalling each successive driver until I finally found the one that Handbrake could use to access the GPU.

Interesting to see Quinn and Wade have their first date in "Last Days" and then in "The Weaker Sex," Wade is apparently referring to Quinn as her boyfriend and Quinn is drying her hair after a shower. We somehow go from this to "Luck of the Draw" where Wade no longer wants to be romantic with Quinn for reasons known only to Sabrina Lloyd (which is to say, we know why Sabrina Lloyd didn't want to keep the romance, but we don't know why Wade wanted to end it).

It's also noteworthy that despite Quinn and Wade apparently being quite romantic in "Last Days" and "The Weaker Sex," Rembrandt was totally surprised to learn that Quinn and Wade had a romantic date in "Last Days" when it's mentioned in "Gillian of the Spirits."

"Eggheads:" Arturo's first scene with his late wife and Wade's reaction.

"Eggheads" nearly killed me. For reasons beyond me, the Season 1 + 2 Dual Dimension set has Eggheads encoded at an even lower bit rate than all the other episodes in the set. I have no idea why. It's not as bad as the Mill Creek release, but it was still too blurry to upscale effectively. After four attempts, I manage to convince someone with the standalone Season 2 Universal DVD release to rip their disc and send me the file. This version of "Eggheads" was at the same level as the other Season 1 and 2 episodes on the Dual Dimension release, and this was the version I upscaled to FakeD.

Anyway. When writing SLIDERS scripts, I always come back to this scene to hear Arturo say, "Intellectual refinement's one thing. Moral refinement's something different." It helps me get his voice.

Interesting to see Quinn and Wade have their first date in "Last Days" and then in "The Weaker Sex," Wade is apparently referring to Quinn as her boyfriend and Quinn is drying her hair after a shower. We somehow go from this to "Luck of the Draw" where Wade no longer wants to be romantic with Quinn for reasons known only to Sabrina Lloyd (which is to say, we know why Sabrina Lloyd didn't want to keep the romance, but we don't know why Wade wanted to end it).

I would guess perhaps they tried or attempted a romance once more between Weaker Sex and Luck of the Draw but ultimately they (well more so Wade) decided it wasn't a good idea while they were busy sliding from world to world. Plus they wouldn't get much alone time with Rembrandt and Arturo around a lot. I always just thought that she only told the lady at the company that Quinn was her boyfriend even if they never established it fully because it would have been easier to get him a job that way.

It's also noteworthy that despite Quinn and Wade apparently being quite romantic in "Last Days" and "The Weaker Sex," Rembrandt was totally surprised to learn that Quinn and Wade had a romantic date in "Last Days" when it's mentioned in "Gillian of the Spirits."

Well I don't know Remmy but it's possible he saw them being cute together and was secretly shipping them lol. So then when he hears that they had an actual romantic encounter, he's like "yeah my friends are getting together, finally." Their romance in Weaker Sex was also a lot more subtle. All that happened was Quinn drying Wade's hair while they talked to Arturo. There wasn't anything more to it (that we know of).

"The King is Back" finale in FakeD.

Not sure what to say about this one. It is very funny, but music is not one of my strengths. Also, I don't know about Torme's writing for black characters. Some have criticized it as a racist caricature; some have seen it as based on Torme's friendships with musicians. All I can say is that Cleavant Derricks is a wonderful actor and I love how he takes Rembrandt's torment and makes it all funny.

ireactions wrote:

"The King is Back" finale in FakeD.

Not sure what to say about this one. It is very funny, but music is not one of my strengths. Also, I don't know about Torme's writing for black characters. Some have criticized it as a racist caricature; some have seen it as based on Torme's friendships with musicians. All I can say is that Cleavant Derricks is a wonderful actor and I love how he takes Rembrandt's torment and makes it all funny.

There's something I really like about the feel of that episode.  Not sure if it's the directing, production design, wardrobe, cinematography etc but it feels a little..... cinematic?  The way the 80s/90 comedies felt.

I really enjoy it, but I can't speak to the racial and cultural implications. I'm not accusing it of anything; I'm just saying that as a Chinese-Malaysian-Canadian, I am not qualified to say whether or not it is a respectful and appropriate presentation of black culture. I absolutely love this episode and deeply enjoy it, but if a black person wanted to tell me why I shouldn't, I would welcome it, hear it and reconsider whether or not I like it.

213 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-06-28 21:15:04)

ireactions wrote:

I really enjoy it, but I can't speak to the racial and cultural implications. I'm not accusing it of anything; I'm just saying that as a Chinese-Malaysian-Canadian, I am not qualified to say whether or not it is a respectful and appropriate presentation of black culture. I absolutely love this episode and deeply enjoy it, but if a black person wanted to tell me why I shouldn't, I would welcome it, hear it and reconsider whether or not I like it.

yes, it's fair to say it is very troupe-y.  john landis really disliked the Rembrandt character where tracy thought it was over the top political correctness to criticize.

So... is it offensive? Is it not offensive? I don't know what I think. Will you tell me what to think? My copy of WHITE FRAGILITY is not helping me in this matter.

215 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-06-28 21:13:37)

ireactions wrote:

So... is it offensive? Is it not offensive? I don't know what I think. Will you tell me what to think? My copy of WHITE FRAGILITY is not helping me in this matter.

it's not really my place to say either way -- i'm pretty sure there'd be folks within the black community who would laugh at it and folks who would be offended. and the former may be a bigger group of people but if people are really offended, and there's enough of them, then their feelings have to matter, even if outnumbered.

i don't look at the episode with any sort of shame but i think people have a right to have a conversation about it and they should be listened to.  but right now, i have yet to hear of anybody having that conversation around that episode that who are within the black community.  it's obviously very old content and i think that sort of conversation would take place  if it were a new show on a platform like netflix.

"Luck of the Draw": the ending in 720p.

Annie Fish once remarked in their review of "The Dying Fields" that "Life is cruel, and unusual, and completely unfair. So why bother? Why bother feeling? Why bother trying— why bother with anything? You shouldn’t. And this is what SLIDERS is really about. It’s the personification of cynicism. Of nihilism. Of existential horror taken to such a complete extreme as to become completely meaningless."

Part of this is seeded in "Luck of the Draw" where Annie Fish tacitly argues that the logical endpoint of SLIDERS is that all the sliders die horribly because they are interdimensional travellers, but they are interdimensional travellers with no combat training, no resources, total randomness in their journey, a makeshift piece of equipment that facilitates their journey that is unreliable and possibly unmaintainable, and that inevitably, they will slide to their deaths.

But... I don't agree with that. Sci-fi television is all about people beating the odds, not meekly submitting to them. "Luck of the Draw"'s cliffhanger was not borne of nihilism. It came out of confidence: Torme knew that SLIDERS would be back. He knew that FOX would get the last 13 episodes of the original Season 1 order on the air and get the full cost of their fee to Universal realized in ad revenue. It's also why FOX finished the second season of SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES; FOX would have lost money by not finishing out their original order even though the show's ratings were poor.

Torme knew SLIDERS' return would be delayed. That the show might return in a very different form as FOX wanted to 'retool' the show for what would be Season 2. But it would be back. And so, SLIDERS in Season 1 ends with a cliffhanger to keep the show in the viewers' minds and urges them to anticipate its return.

"Luck of the Draw"'s cliffhanger is not declaring that Quinn getting shot is the likely fate of everyone on the show; "Luck of the Draw" is declaring that SLIDERS will return. That the sliders will always come back.

I've decided to attempt another upscale from 480p to 720 on the first season of SLIDERS (Episodes 2 - 9). The results of AI upscaling on the Pilot and Seasons 2 - 5 have been pretty good. While Universal and Mill Creek overcompressed the video files to fit more episodes on fewer discs, underneath the blockiness was film grain in which AI video upscaling could read and rebuild detail, so that from Season 2 onward, you could see the texture of the sliders' jackets and a crisp rendering of Rembrandt's hair and the scar on Quinn's face. The pilot was also scanned at a strong bit rate where the subsequent episodes were overcompressed for DVD.

However, Episodes 2 - 9 of Season 1 seem even further compressed than Seasons 2 - 5. Upscaling on these episodes has yielded an image that remains fuzzy and blurry in stark contrast to the strong results of upscaling Seasons 2 - 5. Compare a shot from the Pilot episode (left). This same shot is used in the credits of the remaining Season 1 episodes (shown on the right). You can see that the image quality is severely reduced.

https://i.ibb.co/85hVhjH/compare.jpg

I'm not sure why this over-overcompression is specific to Season 1's episodes after the Pilot. I can only guess that Universal's home video department compressed the Pilot to a reasonable bit rate only to be told that Season 1 would be released on one disc or two single layer discs. Perhaps that's why the remaining Season 1 episodes were encoded to be so small, only for the home video department to decide to release Seasons 1 - 2 together in one set on higher capacity discs, leading to a higher bit rate after Season 1.

I'm told that the German blu-ray release (all 88 episodes in standard definition on blu-ray discs) has the least amount of compression and is a marked improvement on the Universal DVD releases, and I have been able to buy a used copy off eBay. It will take anywhere from 6 - 8 weeks to arrive by post.

I'm hoping that the blu-ray will contain decent standard definition files for Episodes 2 - 9, or at least files good enough for AI upscaling them to bring them to the same level of video quality as the AI upscales on Seasons 2 - 5.

Let us know how the German version compares to Universal. Not really related to Sliders but I've noticed countries outside of the US get blu ray versions before the United States. Never understood that.

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

Actually, I was thinking that after I've copied the blu-ray files for my upscaling project, I would send the blu-ray set to you and you could review it on your Slidecage blog. :-D

I've been contemplating in the past about getting a set.

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

ireactions wrote:

I'm told that the German blu-ray release (all 88 episodes in standard definition on blu-ray discs) has the least amount of compression and is a marked improvement on the Universal DVD releases, and I have been able to buy a used copy off eBay. It will take anywhere from 6 - 8 weeks to arrive by post.

I'm hoping that the blu-ray will contain decent standard definition files for Episodes 2 - 9, or at least files good enough for AI upscaling them to bring them to the same level of video quality as the AI upscales on Seasons 2 - 5.

great news

It's news. I don't know if it's great because for all I know, the blu-ray quality is the same as the Universal DVD set and unfit for upscaling.

I don't know what to expect. I've never been able to get a hold of anyone who has both the Universal DVD sets and the blu-ray. I did try upscaling the Mill Creek version of "Summer of Love," however, and the Mill Creek video quality is simply too poor for Topaz to rebuild any of the detail. I am a bit worried that the blu-ray version of the Season 1 episodes will be bad as Universal's DVDs.

ireactions wrote:

It's news. I don't know if it's great because for all I know, the blu-ray quality is the same as the Universal DVD set and unfit for upscaling.

I don't know what to expect. I've never been able to get a hold of anyone who has both the Universal DVD sets and the blu-ray. I did try upscaling the Mill Creek version of "Summer of Love," however, and the Mill Creek video quality is simply too poor for Topaz to rebuild any of the detail. I am a bit worried that the blu-ray version of the Season 1 episodes will be bad as Universal's DVDs.

I suppose it's possible, although I think  I've also heard the german dvd-on-blu-ray copies were perhaps better.  Or perhaps I am thinking of the Sliders reruns in germany on NITRO.  Or maybe I am thinking of re-runs on The Hub.

You can email the german sliders site:
http://www.sliders-dimension.de/

here's their review, which translated seems to indicate its a bit better than the dvds
http://www.sliders-dimension.de/DVD/com … cb_de.html

Despite SD quality, the video material looks slightly better compared to the DVDs, especially when it comes to the colors. You can see a slight improvement in contrast with the BD and the image appears a bit grainier and sharper. Especially with the newer seasons, colors are more natural. The DVD, on the other hand, looked slightly muddy and darker. However , a mistake seems to have occurred in the editing of the video material, at least in the episode In the Warlock's Realm . Over the entire term to recognize so-called interlaced strips ( interlaced). So image artifacts when people or things are in motion.

224 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-09-17 17:42:10)

Has anyone ever heard about the quality of the Australian collector's edition release?

https://www.amazon.com/Sliders-Collecti … d=&sr=

I guess since it's in PAL format the frame rate may be stroby..

I'd like to learn more about the Australian release too!

I had a nightmare last night that my grandfather rose from his grave to slap me for buying a standard definition blu-ray set that conceivably has the same problems as the Universal set.

It's unclear which episodes the German site reviewed to compare the blu-ray to the DVDs, so we don't know if the video quality is better or worse or equal.