Topic: Lego Sliders

Stumbled across this on a Google search for something else.  Looks like progress is slow if not completely stalled, but just the mock up image is cool to see.

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … fi-series/

Re: Lego Sliders

I did hear about this one a while back... sad it didn't pan out. It could have been a lot of fun.

Also, that is a surprisingly accurate Jerry O'Connell face given the five or so heads they must have had to pick from.

That's a shame.

Not to latch onto the topic, but are there are fan vids, movies or comics out there at all? (Something that isn't a flat out comedy).

There are some French Sliders Fan Vids but without English Translation Sadly.

There were also some Russian Forays into recreating the Vortex in modern SFX which looked promising but I am not sure if a Fan Film got made in the end or not.

It would be cool if the Makers of In the Pirkinning made a Sliders Vid but I doubt it is likely as their passion is more Star Trek and Babylon 5 focused.

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

I know that the alternate dimension concept isn't an easy thing to pull off visually, but I'm shocked that there isn't more fan stuff outside of fiction. Gosh.

Visually is not too hard bar the Vortex.

Photo Manip of Backdrop Scenery like Skyline and View, Costume variety etc.

The slightly difficult part is Props you hold and interact with. Some blue/green screen work with proxy props that can be tweaked in post production is ok but actual physical props are better. Costs vary though too much of either can be risky.

Fan Works benefit from less tightly restricted Time Constraints versus Studio Productions which have set deadlines.

A Fan allots time as and when free and can slowly gather/make props, costumes and produce CGI/SFX.

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

Wish I had the:

• skills

• time

• patience

• money

To do something like that, lol.

But even doing something like a simple fan series (which had no SFX elements) was a massive undertaking. Something like SLIDERS would be beyond me. I seriously feel compelled to do some kind of fan made thing though.

Well the great thing about Fanworks is that Money is not the driving force.

I am a massive Fan of Modded Games. They take a lot longer than Studio made Games but the better Mods rival and sometimes even surpass Studio Games.

These are either Solo Works or Collaborative efforts that show that so much can be done with just Time, Passion and Determination.

Some better examples I can list are:

Stargate: Universe which is a full conversion mod of Command & Conquer 3 that allows an RTS experience both on Planet and in Space set in the Stargate Universe. Play as Tauri, Asgard, Goa'uld and maybe even Replicators.

Fallout: Van Buren which is a Mod designed to give us the cancelled Isometric Fallout 3 intended to be released by Black Isle before they went bust and got bought up by Bethesda.

Twisted Insurrection which is a Stand Alone Mod based in an Alternate Tiberian Sun Era where the Brotherhood of Nod was victorious in the first Tiberium War in the First Command and Conquer game.

Mothership Zeta which is a Bethesda era Fallout Game Mod that has new Environments, new assets, new Characters, new Story Elements and recorded Audio Dialogue.

As to Photo Manips for Background Scenery/Skylines.... Check this out!

http://www.cgsociety.org/cgsarchive/new … _large.jpg

You could totally imagine this as a Picture in an office on Sliders Soviet America or as a background for a News Presenter on TV reporting from Commie New York while the Sliders are watching it in San Francisco in an Electronic Store Window or in a Bar inbetween Sports.

Stuff like this is very doable and builds a more believable and wider World beyond the Local Environs featured on Camera.

I really love World Building and really missed the actual AH background elements of Season 1 & 2 that were more prominent and thought provoking..... Even when they were a little flimsy and weak in S1 & 2 they were fun enough to forgive that where as in S3 that became a rare thing.

Definitely agree that money is definitely not the driving force for a fan conceived project, but it does factor into a heck of a lot of decisions, alongside the product's final outcome and perception. But as long as the drive, passion and commitment is there, anything you piece together as a fan and put out is awesome.

omnimercurial wrote:

As to Photo Manips for Background Scenery/Skylines.... Check this out!

http://www.cgsociety.org/cgsarchive/new … _large.jpg

You could totally imagine this as a Picture in an office on Sliders Soviet America or as a background for a News Presenter on TV reporting from Commie New York while the Sliders are watching it in San Francisco in an Electronic Store Window or in a Bar inbetween Sports.

Stuff like this is very doable and builds a more believable and wider World beyond the Local Environs featured on Camera.

I really love World Building and really missed the actual AH background elements of Season 1 & 2 that were more prominent and thought provoking..... Even when they were a little flimsy and weak in S1 & 2 they were fun enough to forgive that where as in S3 that became a rare thing.

That is really cool! And agree again about the backdrop inclusion to the earlier seasons that I loved as well.

11 (edited by omnimercurial 2015-12-08 09:45:30)

I believe Earth Prime did a Fan Edit of Exodus to try and salvage something from the steaming excrete and did a fairly good job given what there was to work with.

Maybe other Sliders Episodes could receive a Similar treatment?

But maybe instead of Cutting, Cutting, Cutting.... We could add stuff.
Like that Soviet Skyline etc to not just pad out the Episodes but add to them in an enriching way?

We could even look to other Works/Starring Roles by Sliders Cast, Guest Stars etc and add a few more Doubles even if only passing by?
or if the footage is versatile/well suited enough it could be weaved into the plot of the Episode in question in some way?

Zoe Mclellan who played Logan St Clair for example also starred in the Dungeons and Dragons Movie as well as Dirty Sexy Money so the footage from these works could be trawled through either for Double Scenes or maybe even Logan St Clair original herself.... Maybe?

Just an example but you see what I mean anyway.

Maybe we could substitute bad SFX for more modern/believable SFX like the Mega Tsunami in Season 1 could have it's CGI swapped out from the Episode with something like Tsunami Scenes from The Day after Tomorrow or a similar Work?

Some Stuff can be Made original but as it is a non profit Fan Edit I don't see a problem in borrowing Scenes from other Media.

Matt mentioned he was involved in something... is the Lego thing it?

I've long been a proponent of an audio drama as the most feasible method for a fan project (outside of script/fanfic related projects).

13 (edited by omnimercurial 2015-12-08 09:51:27)

Audio Drama with Lego is a good combination! smile

There are some hilarious Lego Command & Conquer Stop Motion Fan Vids with Audio that I highly recommend!

I'll add a Youtube Link in a bit.

Edit: Here ya go!

Tiberium Lego's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slO8oWYx … ata_player

14 (edited by pilight 2015-12-08 10:06:15)

omnimercurial wrote:

Some Stuff can be Made original but as it is a non profit Fan Edit I don't see a problem in borrowing Scenes from other Media.

The copyright owners might disagree.  If you're planning on posting the video where it can be seen, they could take legal action.

Isn't fair use a thing?

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

I've long been a proponent of an audio drama as the most feasible method for a fan project (outside of script/fanfic related projects).

An audio drama would be awesome, or even a very simple motion comic with audio.

Parody and review are covered under fair use -- meaning Sliders Rewatch and Sliderscast are free to produce podcasts with sponsorship and Ian McDuffie is free to charge money for his "Paradise Lost" comic and Mad Norwegian can publish DOCTOR WHO episode guides and reviews for profit. The line gets hazy at fan fiction which is technically a derivative work. Copyright holders do have legal grounds to order that producers of fanfic and fanfilms cease and desist. Warner Bros. shut down the BATGIRL SPOILED with threats of litigation, FOX did the same with an ALIENS fanfilm.

Paramount permits STAR TREK fanfilms and Lucasfilm had no issue with numerous STAR WARS fanfilms. Fan fiction is generally tolerated. Copyrights are viewed as potentially lost unless vigorously defended -- but most studios seem to think that fan fiction poses no threat to their copyrights due to being (a) profitless (b) free advertising. If an audio drama were profit free, I doubt NBCUniversal would object, although they would be well within their rights to shut it down for any reason or for no reason and it'd be a lot of work to hang on the whim of some executive.

Matt's project wasn't the Lego, unless there's something he's not telling me.

On the old-old Bboard, Matt revealed his SLIDERS projects, so I feel it's alright to reiterate what he previously posted. The first SLIDERS project was going to be Tracy Torme's long-awaited series finale to SLIDERS. Tracy contacted Matt back in 2009. Tracy wanted to write fanfic! Tracy wanted to write a movie-length script for SLIDERS that would act as a grand series finale. The officially unofficial finale of SLIDERS, unapproved by NBCUniversal and therefore apocryphal, non-canonical and nothing but some random guy's fanfic on the Internet -- except that it would be fanfic from the co-creator of the series.

Tracy also intended to send it to Temporal Flux at the Dimension of Continuity. Both would have the script. I imagine that Temporal Flux, in his infinite cleverness and daring, would have found some artists to illustrate various key moments of the story and perhaps written some prequels and sequels and missing scenes, the way Marvel blockbuster movies have comic book tie-ins. Matt, meanwhile, would have posted the script and aided in producing an audio drama version with Jerry, Sabrina, Cleavant and John.

Unfortunately, after the 2009 interview, Torme got too busy with various paid projects -- too busy to write fanfic, and the project slowly faded away like a date he could never find time to schedule.

I was told what the story was in bits and pieces and I think I have a full picture of the tale. I will decline to reveal what the story would have been because I would like to let Sliders Rewatch talk about it when they do their podcast for "The Seer" (and, possibly, when they do their podcast for SLIDERS REBORN) and I am going to mercilessly tease information to promote their podcast because. However, Matt has no need to restrain himself. ;-)

I will say that Tracy's story featured Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo (of course).

I'm sorry it didn't happen because I know you would have all appreciated it. On a selfish level, however, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. The fact that Tracy Torme was going to write fanfic and use the format of PDF screenplays inspired me to write "Slide Effects" and eventually SLIDERS REBORN -- if it was good enough for Tracy, why not for me? If Tracy had written his finale story, I wouldn't have written REBORN and I wouldn't have this opportunity to lay some demons to their final rest.

Matt's other project was a spin-off web series for SLIDERS, to be done in collaboration with an amateur (but now professional) filmmaker in England. A series of short films with original characters, set in the SLIDERS multiverse in which sliding is now an urban legend.

While a first season of scripts were completed, only bits and pieces of the project were ever filmed and I don't believe it will ever see the light of day. However, there were periods when I did not believe SLIDERS REBORN would ever see the light of day (well, like 36 hours), so who knows. SLIDERS REBORN was merely delayed due to the writer learning what he jokingly refers to as his craft; maybe the web series is just the same. Matt completed his end of the project by supplying the scripts. I read all of them and they were creative, daring, thrilling and a terrific reworking of the SLIDERS platform. The people who wanted to film it, like Tracy, got side-tracked with stuff that could pay the mortgage. No shame in that.

18 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2015-12-08 17:54:19)

ireactions wrote:

Matt's other project was a spin-off web series for SLIDERS, to be done in collaboration with an amateur (but now professional) filmmaker in England. A series of short films with original characters, set in the SLIDERS multiverse in which sliding is now an urban legend.

While a first season of scripts were completed

That sounds very exciting.

Indeed it does.

20 (edited by Slide Override 2015-12-09 03:47:02)

That's a shame it never materialised. Guess it's back to trawling through the fiction archives.

21 (edited by omnimercurial 2015-12-09 08:38:21)

We could always make our own Lego Sliders?

Either by contacting the original idea person and asking to continue or by making a completely new one of our own creation.

It is a lot easier now too as prior most of such Fanvids involved actual Physical Plastic Figures and Stop Motion but now the Lego Computer Games could allow us to do such a Fan Film like a CG Cartoon.

I've never played any of the Lego computer games, but that would be a nice way to do something.

An audio drama would be really cool, or voice-acting plus some very simple comic animation like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9KDelKdxc

Though extremely basic, it could work quite well for Sliders project, and would allow for some neat background pieces and world building.

Wow that brings back memories.
Used to watch the Tribe back in the day.

Have to say though it kind of Jumped the Shark with the addition of the Technos.

A Tech Revivalist Faction was a good idea but they took it too far.
The Tech was far too advanced.
And if the Technos had that level of Tech then why did they need the scraps that the Mall Rats and the other Locals had?

Daft.

Oh, without a doubt, that was definitely the jumping the shark moment. Yet again, a clear case of a show taking its fundamental core and injecting something into it that just clearly doesn't fit. It wouldn't surprise you to hear of executive meddling / pressure underneath it as well.

OK, this is insanely creative.

VOTE!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/6ad0e06 … d973ec6b0d

This most recent one is quite impressive.

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog