Topic: EP.COM: New Articles in the Archive from Sci-Fi

Hi, guys. Courtesy of the Sci-Fi Channel, EP.COM has added 16 items to the Article Archive. Included are in-depth interviews with Jerry, Charlie, Cleavant, Sabrina and Kari. Sabrina reacts to the breeding camp, Kari explains why she was so awful to Sabrina and Charlie shares how he got started in acting.

http://earthprime.com/articles/new-arti … i-archives

In 2005, after SLIDERS was put out of our misery, the Sci-Fi Channel was clearing out its offices of unneeded items and quite inexplicably had press files containing every SLIDERS article they could find. Also inexplicably, they boxed up their files and shipped them to Matt Hutaff of EarthPrime.com because he, I dunno, asked nicely. Matt figured he'd get his assistant to scan and retype anything of value.

Ten years later, Matt, still without an assistant, was forced to consider that he had vastly overestimated his future success. However, with The Box taking up valuable space in his garage, Matt realized it was time to ship The Box to a trusted ally who would happily sort through the contents, categorize the clippings, press releases, internal documents, memos, letters and painstakingly retype every single article of value.

Since there was no one like that, he sent it to me some time before Christmas. I sped-read through the contents of The Box and selected 16 items worth sharing -- in-depth interviews with cast and crew and the odd editorial regarding the show. However, I sure as hell wasn't going to be retyping all that.

I ran the pages through a scanner, created a PDF and ran the documents through Adobe Acrobat's optical character recognition software. The results were unreadable gibberish, likely due to many of the articles being faded and low-res photocopies.

Every few days, I'd run the file through another OCR program, continuing to do this for about a month. This weekend, I finally found ABBYY Finereader, which was accurate enough to require only minor corrections here and there before posting. So hurrah!

What stood out to me was how journalist David Martindale seemed to write a lot of SLIDERS articles and interview Sabrina and Kari. It'd be neat to compare notes with him someday and ask if Sabrina or Kari ever had anything off the record to share.

Re: EP.COM: New Articles in the Archive from Sci-Fi

ireactions wrote:

Hi, guys. Courtesy of the Sci-Fi Channel, EP.COM has added 16 items to the Article Archive. Included are in-depth interviews with Jerry, Charlie, Cleavant, Sabrina and Kari. Sabrina reacts to the breeding camp, Kari explains why she was so awful to Sabrina and Charlie shares how he got started in acting.

http://earthprime.com/articles/new-arti … i-archives

In 2005, after SLIDERS was put out of our misery, the Sci-Fi Channel was clearing out its offices of unneeded items and quite inexplicably had press files containing every SLIDERS article they could find. Also inexplicably, they boxed up their files and shipped them to Matt Hutaff of EarthPrime.com because he, I dunno, asked nicely. Matt figured he'd get his assistant to scan and retype anything of value.

Ten years later, Matt, still without an assistant, was forced to consider that he had vastly overestimated his future success. However, with The Box taking up valuable space in his garage, Matt realized it was time to ship The Box to a trusted ally who would happily sort through the contents, categorize the clippings, press releases, internal documents, memos, letters and painstakingly retype every single article of value.

Since there was no one like that, he sent it to me some time before Christmas. I sped-read through the contents of The Box and selected 16 items worth sharing -- in-depth interviews with cast and crew and the odd editorial regarding the show. However, I sure as hell wasn't going to be retyping all that.

I ran the pages through a scanner, created a PDF and ran the documents through Adobe Acrobat's optical character recognition software. The results were unreadable gibberish, likely due to many of the articles being faded and low-res photocopies.

Every few days, I'd run the file through another OCR program, continuing to do this for about a month. This weekend, I finally found ABBYY Finereader, which was accurate enough to require only minor corrections here and there before posting. So hurrah!

What stood out to me was how journalist David Martindale seemed to write a lot of SLIDERS articles and interview Sabrina and Kari. It'd be neat to compare notes with him someday and ask if Sabrina or Kari ever had anything off the record to share.

Terrific, thanks!!

Great! Looking forward to reading them soon! Thanks!

Last month...

LAURIE: "What the heck is that giant box?"
ME: "It's the Sci-Fi Channel's press files on SLIDERS! The guy who runs the Earth Prime site sent 'em to me to look them over. He hasn't found the time to do so in the 10 or 15 years he's had it."
HENRIETTA: "This is the gentleman from Pasedena? How much did that cost to ship?"
ME: "I paid him back his seventy bucks or so."
LAURIE: "You spent SEVENTY DOLLARS for the privilege of doing filing?"
ME: "I've never bought anything SLIDERS related except for the one DVD set for fourteen dollars. So, since 1995, I've spent eighty-four dollars on SLIDERS. How much have you spent on SUPERNATURAL?"
LAURIE: " .................. a lot."

ireactions wrote:

HENRIETTA: "This is the gentleman from Pasedena? How much did that cost to ship?"

Gentleman? wink

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

Yay!!! smile

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-