Topic: Community: Welcome to Greendale, you're already accepted!

http://sliders.tv/bboard-archive/viewtopic.php?id=2

Re: Community: Welcome to Greendale, you're already accepted!

I thought the finale was flippin' brilliant.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I thought embracing the TV concept was really a great way to finish the series.  It allowed them to have some fun at their own expense, and I think it must've been a blast to write and then perform. 

I am really surprised that Troy didn't come back.  There's no way Donald Glover's schedule was *that* busy that he couldn't do a similar cameo to Shirley's, and I wonder if he was a little more disgruntled than the BTS stories implied.

But I thought it was perfect.  All of it.  Well done, Community.

Yeah. I really didn't want this to be the last season. Week after week, I was visiting my friend Laurie, exclaiming that this week was the greatest episode of COMMUNITY ever made. The introduction of Frankie Dart. The crisis room story. The Honda episode. The giant hand episode. The spy movie spoof. COMMUNITY kept hitting new heights of experimental inventiveness. I didn't want it to ever stop. I dreaded the season finale and urgently awaited news of Season 7 --

But then the finale came and it pointed out that Abed and Annie needed lives outside Greendale. That Jeff and Britta might belong there, but Shirley and Troy having left wasn't cause for sadness -- they had to move on eventually. The fact that Jeff and Britta and the Dean and Chang were still at Greendale -- the truth is that they had settled for Greendale, but anyone who didn't have to shouldn't.

And with Jeff and Annie, the show acknowledged that yes, there is a lot holding the characters together. And the fans want to  see them stay together. But the story demands that some of them move on, and so does reality with everyone's six year contracts expiring with this season. I didn't want this to be the last episode. But the finale made me feel like it was okay.

The final hashtag made me miss SLIDERS more than ever.

It was a great season. I also want a season 7 after seeing how good this year was (what other show would do the incest episode?). I hear that there's still a chance for the movie. I guess we'd have to settle for that.

I just don't  think it was an easy show to work on, it was a 30 minute sitcom that took longer to film than an average drama and after a few yeats everyone was burnt out.

At a certain point as an actor you got to move on or you get stuck, most  actors get a decade 10 years from early 20s to mid 30s if they want to have a carrer ot make it.  Sohanging out on a show that went from full season to mid season too amazon show is tough.

most of the cast that stayed around was doing the last 3 years as a side job...

so can blame Glover for  mot wanting tocome back, youll notice none of the replacement actors mzke it more yhan a season.

the finale was ok, the last season again was ok., amazon always had glitches for me yhe finale 4 episodes every commercial break woild reset the sjow then i would have to rewatch that car commercial loop 4 times to fast forward and see anoyher 8 minutes thrn it eould reset again, or die, so maybeim judging it worse  than it  was.

Yahoois the worst video playbavk service that is out their.

Informant wrote:

It was a great season. I also want a season 7 after seeing how good this year was (what other show would do the incest episode?). I hear that there's still a chance for the movie. I guess we'd have to settle for that.

Sounds like the chances are actually pretty high that we'll get the movie.

I'm just not sure if it'd work as a movie.  Even the 3-part paintball episode run together would only be a 66-70 minute movie (at most).  Even a 90-minute movie (which is pretty short these days, even for comedies) would be a 4 or 5 part episode.  Is that too much time?  Would it be enough Community-style comedy, or would it also have to have ridiculous action/romantic subplots just to fill time?

I think the cast would do it in a heartbeat, and I'm sure Harmon would love to capitalize on finishing the #sixseasonsandamovie joke against all odds.  But I'm just not sure it works outside of the idea itself.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I'm just not sure if it'd work as a movie.  Even the 3-part paintball episode run together would only be a 66-70 minute movie (at most).  Even a 90-minute movie (which is pretty short these days, even for comedies) would be a 4 or 5 part episode.  Is that too much time?  Would it be enough Community-style comedy, or would it also have to have ridiculous action/romantic subplots just to fill time?

I would probably introduce a new character. Probably a 19-year-old girl played by Anna Kendrick or Saoirse Ronan who has experienced some unspecified nervous breakdown that caused her to lose out on real college and have to settle for loser college, and set it up as being just like all those mediocre romantic comedies about college students -- except that in this case, the college turns out to be Greendale and Greendale is completely ****ing insane.

Jeff is the Dean. Craig is teaching gender studies. Britta is the school counselor. Annie washed out of the FBI and is now running school security. Shirley runs the cafeteria. Troy returned but lost all of Pierce's money investing in something stupid and is now a janitor and Abed has rebooted himself into a first-year community college student in the belief that he can start again. And our new character finds herself involved in the usual Greendale craziness.

Interesting.  I think I'd go in a different direction.  Go with what the show does best and pick a genre and "Community-ize" it.  I'd pick a "quest" movie.

It's 3 years after the failed season seven.  Greendale is thriving under Dean Pelton (demoting the dean seems cruel, even if someone else would do better and he might thrive in a different role).  Enrollment is up, and it's even annexed City College as a satellite location.  A new study group has taken over the study room, and the old study group is the stuff of legends among the school.

INCITING INCIDENT - something happens and only one person can save the day - Jeff Winger.  But former-professor Winger hasn't been seen in a couple of years.  He left one day and never came back.  To save the school, Dean Pelton and the kids have to go on a quest to find Jeff.  They find Abed in Los Angeles - he's an indie director who is having some success but misses random misadventures.  He doesn't know where Jeff is, but he's happy to join in.  They try to find Annie, but she's away on some important investigation.  They try to find Britta but she's also in the wind.  They can only find Shirley, who hasn't heard from any of them in years.  A list of random characters (Magnitude, Leonard, Garrett, Elroy, Frankie, Buzz, Duncan, etc) are no help either.  Abed wishes the Troy was there, but they randomly stumble upon a normal-acting Chang.  He's become a rich tycoon, and he decides to use his vast resources to help find Jeff.

Chang, Pelton, Abed, Shirley and the new study group keep looking for clues when they realize that the new study group is slowly disappearing as they're getting replaced by the old one (the pop culture guy disappears when Abed arrives, the weird one disappears when Chang arrives, etc).

As they get to Chang's mansion and start using his network of resources, Annie shows up.  The big case was Chang, and he's stolen the identity of someone else.  From then, he starts acting more Chang-like.  They ask Annie to help them find Troy, Britta, or Jeff.  And she's already found Troy!  So they all go to try and find Britta, who they think is the key to finding Jeff.

I don't really have an ending, but in Community fashion, they'd find Jeff instead of Britta....forget about Britta (who finds them instead).  And Jeff and company spend the rest of acts 2 and 3 on an exciting adventure to save Greendale once and for all.  And the original study group is completely replaced and never spoken of again smile

I did not understand anything you just wrote, so I think it must be absolutely brilliant.

I admit, having a new female character serve as an entry point to an existing property is something of a crutch for me.

But. I think COMMUNITY, after six seasons, is designed to take place on the  Greendale campus and that's probably where the movie should be set.

Yeah, I think that'd work too.  Maybe they have to go find everyone and then bring them back for one more adventure on the campus.  But I think the show displayed (correctly) that these guys need to grow and evolve beyond Greendale.  So we shouldn't engineer reasons for them to be back on campus full-time.  A return?  Cool.  Full-time?  No.

Although now I like the idea of a superstar cast as the study group that gets replaced.  Imagine some of the top young actors just unceremoniously getting removed in favor of our cast.  I think Harmon would love that.

I don't think it can be avoided that some of the cast are permanently Greendaled. Jeff, Britta, the Dean and Chang are probably lifers and that's fine. They're adults, they bounced around out in the world and Greendale is where they ended up. So maybe Annie is spending a year teaching a forensics class at Greendale as a working sabbatical and Troy came to campus to spend two days installing a new fire sprinkler system and never got around to leaving and Abed is on campus shooting a college romantic comedy and decides to make our new character the leading role and use that as an entry point to Greendale's craziness.

Why is Britta stuck?  I've never really gotten that, and I think Britta's character was never really developed, honestly.  I think, organically, it makes more sense for Britta to be the one floating around in the world (not Troy).  Heck, it might've made more sense organically for Britta to end up with Troy on his trip.  Gillian Jacobs was fantastic, but I feel like Britta got lumped into this weird gray area where her character was simply a punchline.  Was she still going to be a therapist?  Is she just a lazy bum now?

It would be interesting to see her end up as the next generation's Pierce/Elroy or, god forbid, Chang. 

But outside of that, I see Britta as the type who would move to Europe with no real plan.  Waitress here a bit.  Find weird Europeans to let her crash on their couch for a while.  End up in a civil union with some French con artist until she gets the idea that she needs to go back to school and finish her degree smile

Which is another Dan Harmon-like idea.  Five minutes of exposition saying that everyone failed outside of Greendale, and they're all working to get new degrees.  Hard reboot haha.

My Christmas present to the board:

https://youtu.be/aIGz6mi3JkA

You're welcome.

I had my annual viewing of "Regional Holiday Music". Every year, I think that I've seen the episode so many times that it can't possibly make me laugh as much as it did before. Every year, I am wrong. smile

I can't get over the documentary episode of Season 6. Even watching it now, I keep failing to notice that Abed isn't actually in it; it feels like he's in every scene.