1 (edited by Surf Dance Chris 2016-03-01 12:30:44)

Topic: Girl Meets World/Fuller House compared to Sliders

Even though the shows are in a mostly different genre (Sliders does have comedic elements), Boy Meets World and Full House come from a similar time period as Sliders, and have been recently given sequel tv shows. They seem to be met with decent success. I was never a huge fan of BMW or FH, but did watch them from time to time. I haven't watched GMW, but did catch some of Fuller House. I have to admit, it was cool to see almost everyone from the show back again. In other ways, it felt more like just a novelty that would wear off and would always just be compared to the original show and never live up to it.

That got me thinking to Sliders of course, and wondering if I really would want a sequel show (one that takes place in the present, using all or most of the original cast, just like the other shows mentioned above). In some ways, of course! In other ways, no. Given the choice, I probably would rather see a reboot of the series or a spinoff with cameos by original cast (like the American Pie DVD movies). I'd still be okay with a tv movie sequel featuring "our" Sliders and what happened to them, but probably not a continuing show. Of course, I'd still watch it anyway.

Re: Girl Meets World/Fuller House compared to Sliders

I kinda like the way The Flash handled this. They cast actors from he original, while allowing new actors to take over the major roles. Then they let us know that the original show did exist, but in a different universe. It respects the original. It allows for the nostalgia, but it doesn't tie the show to what came before.

On another note, I've seen both Girl Meets World and Fuller House and found them both well made. GMW is obviously for the young Disney audience, but Fuller House actually had me laughing quite a bit. I think that I signed up for the nostalgia, but I'm sticking around because I find the show to be genuinely entertaining. It's refreshing to have a nice, clean, family friendly show that is actually enjoyable. Most of the sitcoms out there today are trying to be "edgy" or "culturally relevant", so they come across as aggressively raunchy or overly preachy. You'd expect Fuller House to be preachy with it's morals and family values, but I don't know... it's just fun for me.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Not a FULL HOUSE fan, but I do love BOY MEETS WORLD and would watch it religiously. GIRL MEETS WORLD is... well, if you look at it as a middle-school stageplay that inexplicably has an ABC sitcom budget behind it, it makes more sense than as a serious drama of any kind. It's earnest and the performances are hilarious, especially Ben Savage and Sabrina Carpenter. Carpenter is like Allison Mack; she nails every joke and every scene and comes off as both a terrifying hellraiser and a sympathetically comic figure. Savage can sell ridiculously pathetic lines and he has chemistry with every cast member.

GIRL MEETS WORLD is very... well, it's not a crime to be silly, but it is. Its moralities and lessons are presented with all the subtlety of fishing with dynamite and sometimes, it vastly overplays its hand or fails to argue the point it's actually making. It's a nice show, but it doesn't seem to have one foot in reality the way BOY MEETS WORLD did or as much confidence in its audience to read between the lines.

Is the Lucas/Maya/Riley triangle really a problem for them? Couldn't they just have a threeway?

Aren't they, like, twelve?! Eew!

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Hey, I didn't say they had to have sex, just that they could date as a threeway!

That sounds like a lot of work. smile

There would be precedent in the previous series if GIRL MEETS WORLD presented Riley and Maya as a gay couple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jmgmYdHLxI