Re: DC Superheroes in Film (Theatrical and Streaming)

I can't really argue with your opinion, because you're entitled to it. It is a shame that you don't like it. I think there are a lot of layers to the Superman character here. Batman sees him as a threat. Lex sees him as competition. Most of the people see him as a savior or a god. Some of the people see him as evil or a false god. He sees himself as a failure. Lois and Martha see him as a normal guy, trying his best.

For me, all of that is right there on the screen. I love those layers, especially considering that Superman wasn't the central character. Each point of view is valid, which is also remarkable.

I also think that the movie looked great.

As for the media reaction... I think they wanted the Marvel version of this movie. It is obvious from the articles that they think that comic books are supposed to be light and fun children's stories, which we all know isn't exactly true.
They will love Wonder Woman more than the other movies, because there political reasons to love that movie. Suicide Squad came out of nowhere. The media is trying to damage Suicide Squad now, but I don't know how well that will work. I seriously believe that there was nothing that they could do to make the media like this movie. Even if they made it look like a Marvel movie, they would be criticized for ripping off Marvel's style.

I guess it is what it is. You see one thing and I see another. This movie is like that white and gold dress that everyone insisted was black and blue. smile

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

I find that Informant is half right and half wrong. The part where he's right:

Informant wrote:

This movie, like Superman in the movie, was seen as so indestructible that it became popular to try to destroy it. The movie, by all accounts, is doing well. Warner Bros should be happy. Yet we have "Sad Affleck" videos.

BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN is, for some reason, being painted as a failure. It wasn't. It's on track to make about 278 million in profit. MAN OF STEEL made 300 million in profit. And that's really the concern: Warner Bros. has to wonder why they spent such a massive amount of time and money in order to achieve what will be a rather middling return on their investment.

When your movie costs 410 million in production and marketing, 742 million by the third week of box office is weak when the studio only gets from 50 - 55 per cent of that and then has to subtract the money they spent making and selling the film.

And that's the quandary Warner Bros. find themselves in. To hit the 1 billion dollar box office sweet spot, they need a film that the audience is repeatedly returning to the cineplex to see again and again and again and again -- and that's not happening despite the film featuring three cultural icons in lead roles in a hugely promoted feature film.

When a low budget film like DEADPOOL is outgrossing a giant budget film like BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, Warner Bros. has to consider if they're investing too much in the wrong areas. Currently, their method of investment is a bit like someone buying a private plane to commute two blocks.

Now, where Informant is wrong:

Informant wrote:

Nobody is writing stories about Disney in a panic after Age of Ultron failed to live up to expectations.

!?!?!?!?!

Google AGE OF ULTRON and "failure" and you'll find enough articles to wallpaper an entire city. The fallout from AGE OF ULTRON resulted in the widely reported schism within Marvel Studios in which Kevin Feige wanted Robert Downey Jr. to play a lead role in CAPTAIN AMERICA III rather than a supporting character, Isaac Perlmutter, responded by firing Downey Jr.

Feige declared that numerous production problems and overruns on AGE OF ULTRON had been due to Perlmutter's interference leading to Marvel earning lots of money but also having spent far too much for the earnings they'd won. Perlmutter was demoted to TV and comics, Downey Jr. was rehired and this was the biggest news for superheroes in Fall 2015. Hell, YOU heard it about it -- from me!

Informant wrote:

Nobody is writing headline after headline about how miserable a failure Star Wars was

?!?!?!?!!??!

Why would THE FORCE AWAKENS be considered a failure? 2 billion box office for $300 million in production and marketing.

Informant wrote:

Nobody is saying that Star Wars has thirty different versions released because the studio is trying desperately to make some amount of profit off of the embarrassing franchise.

?!?!!?!??!?!!??!?!?!!!?!!?!??!

STAR WARS is routinely mocked for the endless double-dipping. Fans have raised campaigns urging Lucas to stop messing around with the original trilogy and the Library of Congress declared the SPECIAL EDITIONs to be unwelcome in their archives because they'd been messed with so much.

Fans went so far as to form teams to locate and scan 16mm, 35mm and 70mm prints of the original films, which fan editors then used as source material to re-edit the blu-ray releases to create reconstructed versions of the unaltered films. Every re-release of the films with more inane CG alterations has been met with derision and anger. The universal distaste for the SPECIAL EDITIONS is one of the few (probably the only) things that STAR WARS fans actually agree on. And again, if nowhere else -- you would have read about it here on Sliders.tv! I've been posting about the DESPECIALIZED fan reconstruction project.

George Lucas' motives have also been psychoanalyzed to the last neuron: he grew up struggling to earn money, THX 1138 nearly bankrupted him, he sank the bulk of his millions from AMERICAN GRAFFITI into STAR WARS and was terrified when the film was dismissed by FOX and projected to fail. When it was a success, he invested in a sequel only to be horrified by ballooning production costs. Despite the success, Lucas was determined to avoid risky investments, doing RETURN OF THE JEDI as cheaply as possible and building Lucasfilm as a lucrative film production empire -- only to lose half of his fortune when his wife, fed up with his neglect, sued him in the divorce and proceeded to win and cripple his company for years.

As a result, Lucas became obsessed with squeezing as much profit out of his past achievements as possible due to his paranoia over money. This is the reason for the constant re-releases and why he would only make the prequels when the bulk of them could be filmed on soundstages in front of blue screens. Why did he refuse to hire screenwriters or other directors? He feared they would make things cost more than what he wanted to spend. Pathetic, really.

AND YOU READ ABOUT IT HERE!!!!!!!

*ahem*

You're right about the BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN 'failure' being massively overblown, though. It's not a failure. It's a modest success.

I think, in the end, it's all about expectations.  This was supposed to be a cultural explosion that sent DC into the stratosphere.  It made money (a sh*t-ton of it), but it wasn't what people were expecting.  I think the same applies critically.

I think Informant looks at the Marvel movies and then looks at the DC movies and prefers the DC ones.  They clearly take the material more seriously than Marvel does.  Marvel's costumes are garish and ridiculous at times, and the movies intersect but nothing really matters movie to movie.  Even Civil War, Marvel's attempt to show consequences, sorta pales in comparison to what DC did with BvS.

But I think there's a middle ground between Marvel and what DC is doing.  I think it's possible for these guys to smile without making a joke.  There's a brief second where Wonder Woman smiles in the fight with Doomsday.  And I'm not kidding - it's the most fun moment of the movie.  She's a warrior who hasn't had a fight in a while, and it kinda excites her.  And I'm willing to bet that either Snyder missed it or fought against it because it's the only moment in that movie that feels that way.

184 (edited by Informant 2016-04-14 17:15:22)

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I don't believe that The Force Awakens or Star Wars were failures. I am saying that there are a ton of headlines about BvS that present it as a failure and claim that the studio is panicking, only to have the articles themselves present no such facts. There is an active push to create failure here, which you don't see with other movies. Whenever the release of the extended version of BvS is mentioned, it is in the context of trying to salvage something from the failure.

I may have missed the Age of Ultron articles when they came out, but I don't recall this level of active hate toward the movie.

I think that BvS will be a worthwhile investment (has the marketing budget been confirmed?). In addition to the merchandising that they will earn a ton of money from, the movie sets up a lot of other movies. Warner Bros. might be wise to get smarter with their spending, but the overall products that they have put out have been such a huge step up from Marvel's movies that I think Marvel might be wise to spend more. Their movies don't look good at all. If they are trying to save money by hiring cheaper directors or cinematographers, it shows. Obviously, it hasn't kept them from making money. However, it might limit the long-term appeal of the movies.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Info, do you agree that the DC movies needs a Kevin Feige, though?  Most of the complaints that I've read revolve around the fact that no one is in charge of making sure these movies work together.  So while the Russo Brothers might have final say on Civil War, they still have to report to Kevin Feige to make sure each movie works in the universe. 

Right now, that person is sorta Zack Snyder and sorta Geoff Johns.  But Johns is crazy busy doing about ten things, and I think the common complaint about MoS and BvS is that Snyder doesn't understand these characters.  And even if you think he does, he has nothing to do with Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman or Batman....shouldn't someone be making sure that what happens in those movies matters in subsequent ones?

I don't really have an opinion on that yet, since we don't know how DC's continuity will work out. There are a number of people who are working on the various DC films (Zack and Deborah Snyder, Geoff Johns, Richard Suckle, Charles Roven, Wesley Coller and I'm sure a lot more people that I don't have the energy to look up on IMDB right now).

At this point, it seem that while Justice League will move the story forward, a lot of the other movies will probably take place before BvS. Wonder Woman will probably take place mostly (if not entirely) during WWI. Cyborg, Aquaman and to a lesser degree, The Flash would be strange movies if they didn't tell origin stories. Since we've already seen footage of them in action in BvS, that means that their stories would probably take place earlier. It's hard to say when Suicide Squad actually takes place, but the Batman movie could very easily show us how Batman got to the point where he is in BvS. What happened to Robin and Batgirl? It would be great if Affleck brought Nightwing into that story and maybe ended it with the introduction of Tim Drake.

If most of those movies stand on their own, how much do they really need to work together? They have a team of people working across different movies, so do they need one person directing the whole thing? I don't know. It seems like the Snyders are overseeing the general direction of the movies, but there could be a hundred other people out there, making sure that Wonder Woman doesn't contradict Aquaman.

Would I say that the Marvel model has worked in this regard? No. I don't think the movies work well as one whole creation. I think there are continuity problems between the movies. I think the characterization between movies has been pretty bad. I think there is a huge disconnect between the films and the TV shows that are supposed to take place in the same universe, so DC's decision to keep them separate (yet within the same multiverse) makes more sense at this point. While I think that Marvel has put out some fun products along the way, I don't think that I would point to them as a model of how to get things done.

Yeah, but I think with a project of this size, there needs to be consistency.  If you think Feige sucks at his job, that's fine.  But it doesn't mean that DC shouldn't have that job.  We're talking about dozens of people that have to make one big movie with lots of little parts.  Aquaman can't be funny and cracking jokes in his solo movie and cold and dour in Justice League.  And if the director of Aquaman wants to do that, someone above him needs to be able to tell him that it contradicts what's happening in subsequent movies. 

Because while there might not be much character development in Marvel movies, I think their characters are very consistent.  Thor has been directed by three different directors, but I feel like he acts consistently in all four movies.  I think that's partially the work of Feige.  And there's a disconnect between the MCU and the Netflix shows, but I honestly don't think it's that big of a difference.  I don't think it needs to be as close as Agents of Shield because it's more street level stuff. 

Agents of Shield and Agent Carter are pretty close to the MCU.  They have the same tone and feel.  And they do their best, considering that Downey/Hemsworth/Evans/Ruffalo are never going to appear on TV.

The problem is that Snyder has a very specific color palette that he likes. He's painted Batman and Superman in a very specific way, and if Affleck doesn't follow those same guidelines for his solo movie then it's going to feel unconnected.  Or some sort of elseworld.  If Suicide Squad takes place before BvS, then Batman needs to be angry and murderous and violent.  Because that's what's been established.  If Affleck is sorta jokey and playful to go along with the style of Suicide Squad, it's going to be a problem.

Setting aside any discussion of quality --

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

This was supposed to be a cultural explosion that sent DC into the stratosphere.  It made money (a sh*t-ton of it), but it wasn't what people were expecting.

That's the financial situation as well. Warner Bros. was sure a Batman and Superman film would easily hit 500 million domestic and 500 million foreign within two weeks, likely make at least $1.5 billion by the end of its theatrical run, and leave any competition in the dust. They put nearly half a million (estimated) into the project, expecting to make about $900 million in profit.

But three weeks in, it's made $300 million domestically, $500 million in foreign sales and ticket sales dropped 70 per cent with the second week, and now they'll likely make about $278 million in profit.

That makes superhero movies a lousy investment; they cost half a billion dollars to make and their profit margins aren't high enough to justify the risk and funds especially when sequels inevitably see diminishing returns. Warner Bros. has to ask themselves: why are they spending so much money to earn a 55 per cent return on investment that inevitably gets whittled away by continued costs of operating? In order for the studio to see a significant gain, they need to see a profit of at least 100 to 300 per cent of what they invested.

So, the issue isn't that BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN isn't earning money; it's that it isn't earning money to entirely validate the money that was spent. If BVS had cost $250 million to produce and market, the current earnings would be fine.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I think casting Ben Afflect was likely more expensive than BVS's earnings justify; I'm guessing he was paid anywhere from $30 million to $40 million. The second expense was filming locations -- Detroit and Chicago and Yorkville might have been best replaced entirely with soundstages, Vancouver or Los Angeles, and the use of second unit filming and computer recomposition to create the illusion of the actors being on location, much as HEROES created locations with stock footage and digitally merging it with newly filmed material.

Another insane use of funds was extremely poor preparation that is fairly common to studio films, sadly. They hired Jena Malone and filmed extensive sequences that aren't in the film, so they paid her for nothing and paid the crew to film all those scenes for no reason. At a midpoint in editing, the film had an additional two hours of additional scenes -- not extended moments, but additional scenes -- that were filmed and ultimately not included, which means that Snyder and the producers exercised poor judgement when deciding to spend money filming script pages that weren't used. It really is not difficult to sit down over a weekend, read a script and identify what scenes will likely be cut.

Setting aside any question of quality, all of Marvel's films have been unquestionably profitable and the disappointment over AGE OF ULTRON at Marvel Studios was because it cost more $30 million more than AVENGERS but earned about $100 million less -- it was a hit, but it didn't move the studio to a higher level of financial prosperity beyond where AVENGERS had already put them. It wasn't an improvement, financially. But Marvel movies tend to operate like DC's TV shows -- they're on a budget where even if the earnings aren't spectacular, they're still pretty solid and aren't cause to question the value of the superhero cinema.

I think that's an area where DC's slate could benefit -- they spend way too much money without control, attention or frugality. When Batman is the star of your movie, you don't need to hire a movie star to play him. You don't need to pay for actors and sequenecs that will ultimately be cut. Location filming is wonderful, but this is not the 1990s anymore and the 'bottled' look of SLIDERS on Season 3 - 5 soundstages can now be dodged with craft and skill, allowing a location look for less cost while still having money for Superman and Wonder Woman to fight Doomsday. The movie side could learn some things about cost effective creativity from the TV side.

I do agree that there needs to be some care put into how the films feel and make sure that they don't contradict each other. You can't have a Flash movie that is a completely different world, with outrageous characters and cartoonish sequences. So yeah, they need to make sure that they're on the same page. And there does seem to be effort being put into that, with the Snyders and Johns working with each writer and director. So far, I have no reason to worry about that.

The thing is, I don't think Marvel did that well at all. Thor (the movie) directly contradicts The Avengers (the movie). Black Widow has been passed around the team so much that I'm amazed there isn't more feminist outrage. Especially considering that she not only doesn't get her own movie, but Scarlett Johansson, making her less than every male on the team. Captain America's costumes change from cartoonish in the Avengers movies, to more grounded in the Captain America movies. And yeah, the characters are more or less consistent between each film, but mostly because there isn't much character at all. For most scenes, you could probably swap dialog from one actor to another and nobody would notice. They've retconned the destruction done to New York in The Avengers, making it sound like the Battle of Metropolis, either because The Avengers failed to sell the scope of that event or because they were unwilling to go there, but still wanted to reap the benefits of such an event.
Agents of SHIELD has been held back from telling its stories several times, because it had to set up the next big movie instead, or wait for the next big movie. As a result, most of the series feels like filler and the rest feels like an advertisement for the movies.
Agent Carter avoids the mess by taking place in an entirely different era.

And the Netflix shows, while existing in the same universe, only serve to highlight the weaknesses of the movies. Daredevil's first season put out about 11.5 hours of content on a budget of 56 million dollars and it is a visually more complete production than the movies that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to produce a couple of hours. They throw a ton of money and CG work and A-list actors into those movies, but they don't use those tools properly at all.

I do think that DC could be smarter with their money. I agree that they didn't need an A-list actor to play the part. Jeffrey Morgan probably could have done it as well, for much cheaper (for example). I agree that they could choose their filming locations more wisely... but I disagree about using more stages, Vancouver and Los Angeles. Firstly, because stages and backlots still look horrible. Especially when we have seen them all a hundred times before. But also because Los Angeles and Vancouver are not only too familiar, but for some reason the work that comes out of Los Angeles usually looks a lot cheaper. I don't know why, but if you don't believe me, watch The X-Files switch between Vancouver and Los Angeles.

Vancouver works often enough, but there are other, cheaper options. A lot of the country offers cheaper filming these days. A lot of those states are right to work states, meaning that they don't need to pay union wages for every extra they hire. On top of that, they would benefit from not having the same locations as every other film to ever be produced.

I may be biased, but can someone tell me why The Flash or Cyborg shouldn't be filmed someplace like Dallas? Marvel films a lot in Atlanta, because they offer better incentives than Texas. So I get that part. Either way, I think it'd be cheaper than Los Angeles or probably even Vancouver. I know that we have a lot of very capable people who work here, because I work with them all the time, and just filming in different locations will make those movies feel separate while existing in the same universe. If they film The Flash in the same city that they film The Flash (tv series)... I think that would be a mistake.

I really do hope that we get to see the extra long version of BvS. It bothers me more that the movie had to be shortened so much than it does that they filmed it that way. I want the extended version, and I will pay for it when it comes out on blu-ray. If that version is another two hours long, I will be psyched to spend a day watching it! And if that version costs $10 more than the theatrical version I will grit my teeth and get it (I hate spending money).

Look, I have no reason to think that DC won't be a unified front.  That Batman in BvS will match Batman in Suicide Squad that will match Batman in Affleck's solo film.  I don't think we'll suddenly get Adam West Batman in Suicide Squad because that movie is a little goofier.

I have no reason to believe that things won't go sour.  But I also have no reason to think that they won't.  And I think the problem is that this universe has a tone, and it's Zack Snyder's tone.  And Zack Snyder has a very specific and very unique tone - it's grim, it's dour, and it's muted.  Yes, he takes things very seriously, and that's awesome.  But all his movies are, on one level or another, extremely depressing.  For the most part, these movies don't even end happily.  Watchmen, 300, Sucker Punch, Man of Steel.  Every one of them ends with the hero either dying or walking away from some sort of huge tragedy.  I know you thought Man of Steel was hopeful, but I thought it ended on a really dark note.  BvS ends on a really dark note.

So, honestly, I'd *love* it if Snyder was fired and they went in a different direction.  But I don't think that benefits anyone.  We have to have a Superman who is publicly cold and alien.  We have to have a Batman who is more-than-willing to kill when the situation calls for it.  Because if we don't, we're contradicting what's been established.  And that's more than twisting the narrative so that Thor can end up on Earth with the Bifrost destroyed.  It's more than Captain America's wardrobe or Black Widow's boyfriend.  Superman never smiling is a part of his character across his entire career.  Batman's willingness to kill is something that is a part of his character.

And so if Superman shows up in a Flash movie, he can't all-the-sudden start acting fun and playful.  If Batman shows up in an Aquaman movie and has a chance to kill a villain who's doing harm, he has to take the shot.  And whether 12 people are doing it or one person is doing it, those characteristics have to apply to all the movies in the DCCU or there's no reason to even do a cinematic universe.

I wonder how many people are going to be upset when Suicide Squad isn't an all-out comedy. There are some funny characters in the movie, but I have a hard time imagining most of the characters as being comedic.

I don't view Snyder's style as grim or dour. A little muted, maybe, but only compared to other superhero movies. It looks like a lot of other movies that people wouldn't call grim or dour. It actually feels like a film from the late 80's or early 90's in a way, which is interesting.  The coloring reminds me of movies like Stand By Me or Field of Dreams.

This post is about to get image heavy. Sorry about that.

Compare:
http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/6c1a780d-96b6-4e79-9aba-a8277e48f2ae/9a62f309-422f-43d1-858c-85cbe77981fd.png

With:
http://toyotter.com/wp-content/man-of-steel-43.jpg

or:
http://images2.static-bluray.com/reviews/1433_5.jpg

With:
http://static.srcdn.com/slir/w570-h300-q90-c570:300/wp-content/uploads/Kevin-Costner-as-Jonathan-Kent-in-Man-of-Steel.jpg

For a lot of the Superman scenes in BvS, there is an old school imagery that reminds me of the 30's or 40's. Such as this scene:
http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,h_1080,w_1920/t_mp_quality/af9sw4s0agxov0iigpwj/trailer-breakdown-batman-v-superman-official-trailer-362959.jpg

I don't see it as grim or dark or dour. I just see it as a film, compared to the popcorn movie that people expect something like this to be. Snyder uses light and shadow well. The color balance makes this character seem more real, whereas "traditional" superman always feels like a cartoon:

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/scottmendelson/files/2014/02/superman_returns_22.jpg

You say that Superman is cold and alien, but what is he looking at in this picture?

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,h_1637,w_2460/t_mp_quality/fnzqi32f59gnxocstypl/is-batman-v-superman-pulling-a-deadpool-with-an-r-rated-version-896687.jpg

If I recall correctly, he is looking back at the home that is still burning. He saved the girl, but that doesn't make him happy to see her home burn. That's not cold. That's not alien. How many firefighters do you think would be smiling as they watched that house burn?

I don't think the door is closed on a lighter Superman. What we've seen so far isn't someone who enjoys this life. He is someone who has taken on the task of seeking out the most horrible things he can see on a daily basis, and he has nobody to do it with. He doesn't spend time with people who know what that's like. He is like Batman in a lot of ways, because they're both drowning.

Imagine a police officer in a horrible city, who sees suffering and death on a daily basis, or a soldier in some country where all they do is fight evil that never stops coming at them. How happy would those people be, especially if they were in it alone?

I get the desire to see Superman smile more, or to see more of his happy moments. But we didn't get to see a lot of his personal moments at all in BvS. Maybe we will in the extended version, I don't know. But we didn't see a lot of Bruce Wayne being Bruce Wayne either. People are already complaining about the length of the movie, so what would the reaction be if they added some happy scenes, just for the sake of showing the up side of being Superman in a movie that's mostly about the down side of being Superman? Do we want the scene of him saving a kitten from a tree and handing it to a little kid? Do we want the scene of him saying something inspiring to a teenager who feels isolated? And if we do want those scenes, which scenes do we cut from the movie in order to get them? Because the movie has already been edited down quite a bit.

SMALLVILLE, for all its many, many, many, many, many, many faults, appreciated that the most exciting visual was Tom Welling pulling people out of car wrecks and burning buildings and racing them out of explosions and never had trouble communicating that Clark cared about people.

Location filming will never be matched by HEROES style of second unit and stock footage meshed with soundstage material -- but big budget Hollywood films are getting ridiculously bloated. Television, whether it's THE FLASH or DOCTOR WHO or SUPERNATURAL, have all had to work with budget reductions compared to previous years due to economic pressures. SLIDERS used a lot of neat tricks in Seasons 1 - 2 to make the most of its money; interior sets were often empty studio space with props and set dressing wheeled in and out to turn the space into a hotel, a courtroom, Quinn's basement, a police station, etc..

The people who make big studio movies, however, seem to balk at sober fiscal consideration. Let's rent an entire farm! Let's rent out an entire library for one scene with Bruce and Diana! Let's rent an entire art museum for Lex's reception! Let's rent Old Wayne County Building for the Senate! Creating just enough set dressing for the shots we need!? That's for the peasants who work in TV!

As nice as it is to have these things, a little craft and care could see the movie get by without these things, slim down the budget considerably and we wouldn't be looking at all these grim reports of BVS having little to show the studio for all its spending. Zack Snyder, no matter what anyone thinks of him, is a very experienced and capable director; he could make the best of it.

Okay, well this is probably just my interpretation of Superman, but one of his best powers in my opinion is "super-hope" - he doesn't let all the bad stuff bother him.  It doesn't matter how many times Lex does something bad, Superman always believes in him.  So that's why I sorta visualizing him smiling when he's saving people.  I think he's just as interested in making a connection with the person he's saving as he is about saving the next one.  I don't get that vibe from Cavill's Superman.  If you're right, the weight of the world is weighing him down, and he's letting it affect his work. 

And what's weird is that I don't think it's how he was characterized in the first movie.  I do think there's a lot of hope in Man of Steel (my problem was the ending).  But it does not translate to BvS....which found a way to almost ignore one of the two title characters in two and a half hours.  And what I would've done with the run time would've been to eliminate the entire Lois subplot.  Let Bruce be the only detective, make the hearing about Metropolis...not whatever happened in Africa, and let Lex get caught in the act (which is sorta what happens in the "Communion" deleted scene if I'm guessing correctly where that scene would've fit in).

Throw in a big action piece for Superman and a scene that either explains why Superman always looks so damn sad/angry/upset.

SMALLVILLE, for all its many, many, many, many, many, many faults, appreciated that the most exciting visual was Tom Welling pulling people out of car wrecks and burning buildings and racing them out of explosions and never had trouble communicating that Clark cared about people.

But did they stop everything in the middle of an episode to have a random sequence of him saving people who had nothing to do with the plot of the episode? The problem with Batman v Superman, in terms of this conversation, is that it isn't a Superman movie. Relatively little time is devoted to Clark's point of view. When we do see him, it's more about how others view him. We see Clark in specific moments, reacting to specific events, but we don't see his day to day life. We don't see him fighting a lesser villain that he doesn't stress out over.

The movie is mostly from Batman's point of view. We also get some POV from normal people looking at Superman. There is some stuff from Clark's point of view, but not a lot. Maybe that is a weakness. Maybe the movie should have been an hour longer, so they could dig deeper into his character. I'd certainly love to see more of that character, so I won't disagree with that. But I don't view him the same way you all seem to, so I guess it doesn't feel like quite as big of a gap to me.

The people who make big studio movies, however, seem to balk at sober fiscal consideration. Let's rent an entire farm! Let's rent out an entire library for one scene with Bruce and Diana! Let's rent an entire art museum for Lex's reception! Let's rent Old Wayne County Building for the Senate! Creating just enough set dressing for the shots we need!? That's for the peasants who work in TV!

I agree, but cautiously. Films do spend way too much money. The Veronica Mars movie was made for about six million dollars. Granted, that is with a lot of people working on it as a labor of love, but it is still an example of a movie that still feels and looks like a complete movie, without going crazy with the budget. Most movies today could be made for much less money, and a lot of TV shows do prove that filming on a shorter schedule doesn't mean that it has to look cheap.

That said, cutting too many corners will make movies look bad. A lot can be covered by adding scenery in the computer, but when you stick to sound stages too much, it does feel claustrophobic. And sticking to basic camera angles because you can't afford to get creative will come with a cost as well. So yes, they should reconsider how they do things, but they shouldn't take it to extremes. Some of Marvel's stuff has taken it too far.

Okay, well this is probably just my interpretation of Superman, but one of his best powers in my opinion is "super-hope" - he doesn't let all the bad stuff bother him.  It doesn't matter how many times Lex does something bad, Superman always believes in him.  So that's why I sorta visualizing him smiling when he's saving people.  I think he's just as interested in making a connection with the person he's saving as he is about saving the next one.  I don't get that vibe from Cavill's Superman.  If you're right, the weight of the world is weighing him down, and he's letting it affect his work.

My biggest problem with Superman has always been that those writing him view him as "Superman". They don't think about his motivation, or his inner monologue, or his emotional state, because he's "Superman". Because of this, he is usually a very flat character. He's an ideal, who recites perfect lines of inspiration because those writing him are basing their work on an image that they've had in their head since they were kids.

To me, "super-hope" is more alien than what we have in BvS. To have him fly around as the perfect person, doing perfect things is not something that I have ever related to. And I don't think it's right for the character. He is supposed to be human in every way except for those added powers. He is the version of us that can make a difference. He should feel the way we feel. He should think the way we think. Those writing him should look at his situation, where he comes from, how he grew up, who he loves, what motivates him, and they should write him just as they would write any normal person... except, he can fly, lift things, use heat vision, etc.

Smallville was a huge step forward. I am thinking of writing up a character breakdown of Clark from the point of view of a writer, so I won't get into a lot of that here. But what I see on the screen looks real to me. For the first time on the big screen, I can understand what is going on in Superman's head. I know why it killed him to kill Zod. I know why he was begging Batman to save Martha. I know why he always sees the flood raging on or the fire burning, more than the people who are thanking him for being a god.

And what's weird is that I don't think it's how he was characterized in the first movie.  I do think there's a lot of hope in Man of Steel (my problem was the ending).  But it does not translate to BvS....which found a way to almost ignore one of the two title characters in two and a half hours.  And what I would've done with the run time would've been to eliminate the entire Lois subplot.  Let Bruce be the only detective, make the hearing about Metropolis...not whatever happened in Africa, and let Lex get caught in the act (which is sorta what happens in the "Communion" deleted scene if I'm guessing correctly where that scene would've fit in).
Throw in a big action piece for Superman and a scene that either explains why Superman always looks so damn sad/angry/upset.

I probably would have opened with a sequence of some big heroic event by Superman. His saving the day and everyone cheering.

But, would that serve the plot of this movie? His arc in this movie is about being chased by the darkness. No matter how much he tries to hold back the rushing waters, people still suffer (the flood seems to be a recurring theme, from the moment he gets into the tub with Lois, causing water to overflow from the tub, to the flood victims, to the Jonathan Kent sequence). He killed Zod, which was fully justified and heroic, but it went against every fiber of his being. All he does is feel for people and he tries to save them, but it never stops. He goes from one disaster to another, and no matter how hard he pushes himself, he is surrounded by death.

He wants to fight the darkness. He wants to put an end to it (Batman is the darkness in this scenario), but nobody else sees it the way he does. People suffering isn't headline news, and his view of the world and the people who live in it are outdated.

To me, this is the same Superman as in Man of Steel. But "coming out" doesn't make his life perfect or even good. He hasn't yet figured out how to make that life work, if there even is such a way.

I think his rebirth could be a doorway to that. Having friends and allies who do what he does could make a big difference. He may not feel so isolated. He may be happier by the time we get to the next big Superman movie (I assume that there will be another Superman movie at some point, just like it was always a safe bet that there would be a Batman movie). But I hope they don't make him happier at the expense of the humanity that this franchise has finally given the character.

Well, I don't really think "super-hope" is any more alien than being able to fly.  I don't want Clark to be perfect - but I don't want the world's troubles to get to him.  I want him to be able to see passed the bad to see the good.  When he sees someone....Batman, Lex, whoever....I want him to see the best of them.  To know they can be saved.  Because I don't think Clark's power is just catching people when they fall from a building - it's catching them when they lose themselves. 

And the screenwriter seemed to think that too because the script seems to say that the movie is Superman saving Batman.  That Clark knows that Bruce is a hero, and he wants to show him.  Clark was willing to kill for the greater good with Zod because he felt he had no choice.  He begs Zod to stop, and he realizes that there was no other way.  Zod tells him there is no other way.  And you're right - making that decision kills him.

In this movie, he gives Bruce every chance, and he's willing to die to save Bruce.  It's actually a great follow-up to what happened in Man of Steel because it's exactly what everyone wanted him to do in the first movie.  Find the way to save the day without killing ("If I wanted it, you'd be dead already").  Move the fight somewhere isolated.  If anyone has to die, it should be Clark.  And in the end, it's Clark's humanity that forces Batman to save a life when he's spent the whole movie trying to end one.

And you're a writer.  You have a great sense of story.  If you were able to see that story, then you're better at it than me because Zack Snyder distorted the script until that whole storyline was lost on me.  If he opens with the train story from the prequel comic, for example, then you see this man doing everything correctly to save the day.  To minimize loss at all costs.  Then I'd make a handful of minor changes.  If Snyder really wanted the image of Clark floating over the houses, I'd show that Clark is surveying the damage so he can super-speed everyone to safety without missing anyone (x-ray vision, for example).  I'd show the whole rocket sequence or not show it at all.  When he saves the people in the Mexican fire, I'd have him make eye contact and smile with the person he's saving, letting them know that they're alright.  He'd, of course, be focused on the rest of the people, but he'd make everyone feel at calm.

When Superman faces Batman, I wouldn't make it about threats.  Superman would walk over and make sure the Batmobile is disabled (so no one else has to die). 

"What are you doing?  I know you're a hero.  You've saved Gotham time and time again.  I used to read about it all the time.  What happened?"
"You happened.  You flew in and killed thousands.  I'm going to stop you."
"We're on the same side.  You have to believe me."
"I'll never believe you.  I'm here to stop you."

Clark shakes his head, knowing he can't win this argument right now.  He floats away.

"Do you bleed?  You will."

For the story to work, Clark has to be the protagonist.  But Snyder didn't want that.  So the villain becomes the protagonist, and the whole tone is lost.

I believe BvS is a great movie that got twisted into a bit of a mess.  Still good....but no longer great.

Regardless of quality, I think the economics would indicate that BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN spent too much money on something that wasn't a universal crowdpleaser, and if you're spending $500 million, you have to make a universal crowdpleaser if you intend to get a decent return on your investment. As it stands, BVS is making strong ticket sales, but it's not getting repeated ticket sales; it's not drawing people back to see it again and again and again in the way the audience wanting to see Han and Chewie in theatres a second and third and fourth time took THE FORCE AWAKENS to two billion.

I'm all for artistic expression and stylized storytelling that makes Informant happy, but I'm not sure it's worth a half a billion dollars when $54 million seems adequate for making Informant happy via Marvel's Netflix shows.

ireactions wrote:

As it stands, BVS is making strong ticket sales, but it's not getting repeated ticket sales; it's not drawing people back to see it again and again and again in the way the audience wanting to see Han and Chewie in theatres a second and third and fourth time took THE FORCE AWAKENS to two billion.

Exactly.  I saw Force Awakens and Deadpool each twice in theaters.  I saw BvS once, and there hasn't been a reason to see it again yet.  None of my friends have asked me to see it with them, and I'm not eager to go out there and see it again.  I'm eager to see the extended edition, hoping it'll be a better story with everything thrown back in.

But that's the problem with the movie not being fun.  Movies like Requiem for a Dream and Seven are fantastic movies, but they aren't movies I'm really in a mood to go back and revisit.

Well, I don't really think "super-hope" is any more alien than being able to fly.  I don't want Clark to be perfect - but I don't want the world's troubles to get to him.  I want him to be able to see passed the bad to see the good.  When he sees someone....Batman, Lex, whoever....I want him to see the best of them.  To know they can be saved.  Because I don't think Clark's power is just catching people when they fall from a building - it's catching them when they lose themselves.

The thing is, we have a lot of Superman movies and TV shows. We have a lot of images of Superman being the ideal person. What we don't have are a lot of people building that character as they would any other character that they were writing. From the ground up, trace that character, how he thinks, how he feels. He is supposed to be very human, on an emotional and mental level. That is the point of the character. Despite being an alien with these amazing powers, he is still one of us. He should be written like a person, not a symbol (because, as I said, we already have that version of him in a ton of other adaptations).
That has always been my problem with Superman. Everyone writing him treated him like an alien. The character identified with kryptonians more than humans. He is above us and never one of us. Clark Kent is an act. And the Superman in Man of Steel, and even in Batman v Superman is the opposite of all of that.

I'm not saying that the movie was perfect. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have liked to see more of Clark's life as Superman. Hell, I want another Superman movie sooner rather than later. Down the line, they could even introduce Supergirl and have Clark showing her this world and how to be the best person that she can be, and it can show how far he has come in life. (or Superboy, if they don't wan to step on too many toes, which doesn't seem to bother them with The Flash, but whatever). But I think that this is a valid version of Clark. I think it's unfair to say that Snyder is just out to make things broody and grim an ugly, or that the violence in Man of Steel goes against the nature of the character. I came across one discussion online that pointed to this clip from the Justice League cartoon:  https://youtu.be/6BJ1-trrgqc

Yeah, the circumstances in that video aren't the same as in MoS. They're an idealized, watered down, children's cartoon version. But some of the shots are almost identical to the Battle of Metropolis.

I know what Superman is supposed to be. I know what people expect from him. It's just that I've been waiting my whole life for someone to take him seriously as a character and I'm glad that someone finally did it. I'd like to get my hands on the actual script and see what's on the page, versus the screen. I don't think that it was distorted. I think it just played with the perception of Superman, seeing him through the eyes of various people throughout the movie.

Regardless of quality, I think the economics would indicate that BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN spent too much money on something that wasn't a universal crowdpleaser, and if you're spending $500 million, you have to make a universal crowdpleaser if you intend to get a decent return on your investment. As it stands, BVS is making strong ticket sales, but it's not getting repeated ticket sales; it's not drawing people back to see it again and again and again in the way the audience wanting to see Han and Chewie in theatres a second and third and fourth time took THE FORCE AWAKENS to two billion.

What is a universal crowdpleaser? If we assume that it is even possible for something like that to exist, it would have to be something so devoid of vision and so lacking in depth that the audience would have no reason to think about the movie at all. What movie is both universally beloved and actually good and meaningful? What book, music or painting could even claim such a thing?

I think that you're forgetting a vital piece of information in regards to ticket sales and repeat ticket sales. Young children will not be seeing Batman v Superman or Suicide Squad. A lot of those kids have seen the Marvel movies. My nephew dressed up as Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy for Halloween last  year. My niece will not be dressing up like Harley Quinn... *ever*, I hope.
That fact alone drops ticket sales a ton.  Those little kids are the ones who want to see movies over and over and over. And when those kids can't go, it means that many family outings will be redirected toward whatever cartoon is out at the moment.
Is this a bad thing? I don't think so. The family friendly Superman movies and shows are still out there, making money for the studio. These new movies are being aimed at older fans, and apparently toward fans of the comics, since these are not the mainstream versions of the characters that we have seen on the screen before. These are more like something from the comic books.

Break down Batman v Superman in your head and convert the imagery to comic book art. It works perfectly well. Comic book movies aren't usually made with the same mentality as comic books, but these characters have reached a point where that's possible.

I'm all for artistic expression and stylized storytelling that makes Informant happy, but I'm not sure it's worth a half a billion dollars when $54 million seems adequate for making Informant happy via Marvel's Netflix shows.

I'm still not sure if the marketing budget was ever confirmed. Is it just a rumor or do we know that for a fact?

Either way, fair enough. Though the scale of a Superman movie is going to be bigger than Daredevil. I don't want them cheaping out when it comes to a battle with Zod or Doomsday. They really went for it with these films. They have only used the biggest villains so far. Like I said, I'm sure there's a happy middle ground between a bargain basement movie and what they actually spend on these films. smile

Informant wrote:

I'm still not sure if the marketing budget was ever confirmed. Is it just a rumor or do we know that for a fact?

All estimates, but they seem reasonable to me given the film and promotional campaign. All budgets are estimates in the end. Studios do not release official numbers, but unless they deny the figures, I accept them as being within a reasonable margin of error. The numbers are supplied by production sources and I see no reason to think that Deadline, Collider, Box Office Mojo and Birth Movies Death choose numbers at random.
http://deadline.com/2016/03/batman-v-su … 201726300/

Informant wrote:

What is a universal crowdpleaser? If we assume that it is even possible for something like that to exist, it would have to be something so devoid of vision and so lacking in depth that the audience would have no reason to think about the movie at all. What movie is both universally beloved and actually good and meaningful? What book, music or painting could even claim such a thing?

Looking at the highest grossing films of all time (adjusted for inflation), I think it's probably aspirational inspiration. GONE WITH THE WIND, TITANIC, THE SOUND OF MUSIC and ET speak to the universal human desire to find love and emotional connection, and then survive the pain of losing it. STAR WARS and TEN COMMANDMENTS speak to the universal human desire to find strength, power and ability within one's self. AVATAR speaks to the universal human desire to see new worlds.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do the movie that was BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, just that the size of the audience for a very serious, grim, dark, philosophical superhero film is clearly not high enough to sink half a billion into it. The first Nolan BATMAN film had the same aspirations of serious cinema and it was in no way a box office smash -- but the budget was modest, so the film was a financial success even if it didn't set financial records and it built goodwill through strong reviews and home video sales leading to the superb results of the two sequels.

It's sort of like Yahoo and COMMUNITY. Yahoo lost at least $30 million on it. The audience wasn't big enough for what it cost versus what it earned in advertising. I loved Season 6, but I find it difficult to claim investing in it was a sound financial decision.

MAN OF STEEL had mixed reviews and made 668 million at box office, so to make a sequel that needed to earn 1 billion at box office just to just about break even wasn't the greatest idea. Warner Bros. thought the hype of Batman and Superman sharing the screen would make BVS the most important cultural event in superhero history. Again, without getting into quality -- I think it's clear that BVS is not seen that way by the world at large.

Well, that's the thing.  Marvel movies are fun and stupid and goofy.  But they're for everyone (kids, adults, etc).  So they can be financial successes because a) the audience is larger and b) people go see it multiple times.  We know that there are less people going to see BvS multiple times because the box office numbers dropped big time after the first week.  Everyone that wanted to see the movie saw it the first week, and then the stragglers saw it.

The other problem is that kids cannot see this movie.  There were tons of reports of kids running out of the theater crying.  The movie is too dark, it's too violent, and it has none of the fun of the Marvel movies.  They should've just gone for the R rating because I don't know if they would've lost any of their audience. 

WB probably banked on Dark Knight Trilogy numbers, and this was never going to be that.  It's a Man of Steel sequel with Ben Affleck as Batman added to the cast.  The original movie was divisive, the casting was divisive, and the look of the movie was divisive.  WB got cocky, and they're paying for it.

The next movie probably won't be as big of a budget, and it probably won't get the same level of marketing.  Hopefully they learn their lesson.  Because there's clearly a market for this, but it isn't as big as they thought.

I think Warner is still suffering from the same problem it has for decades - the studio bosses just absolutely don't get this super-hero thing.   And this article about David Goyer probably sums it up:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/25/ … ecade-ago/

This movie was Warner execs throwing their hands up in the air saying they didn't know what else to do.

I can't judge a film based on how much it cost to make. The audience was there. It made a lot of money. The general audience reaction to it has been good. The studio spent a lot of money, but that is really their problem. We don't know what deals they struck or how they balanced it all out. It really isn't for us to try to guess their happiness with how much return they got on their investment. We can judge the audience side of it, and in audience terms, it doesn't matter if the film's budget was huge or small. The audience went, and I think that anyone expecting it to be the biggest movie success ever was dreaming (and I may be guilty there too). It is the sequel to a movie that did well, bit not great. And it is about the billionth time these characters have been on screen. Add to that the fact that young kids can't go... Why would this movie be the highest grossing movie of all time? To comic book fans, it is huge to see these characters together. To random people who don't care, it might as well be Alien vs Predator.

I still say that the bad publicity pushed a lot of casual viewers away, and that had nothing to do with the quality of the movie. The press was out to kill this movie for a long time. It didn't work entirely, bit they left a mark.

TF, that article misrepresented some of the quotes. Snyder wasn't diminishing Goyer's work. He was talking about the process in developing the BvS idea and opening up that universe. I don't remember where I read the original quote, but it is way out of context there.

Informant wrote:

I still say that the bad publicity pushed a lot of casual viewers away, and that had nothing to do with the quality of the movie. The press was out to kill this movie for a long time. It didn't work entirely, bit they left a mark.

Yeah, possibly, but word of mouth usually corrects that.  If casual people loved BvS, they would've told their friends and they would've seen it.  I don't buy that critics have that much power.  I listen to my friends more than I listen to critics.

They can fix a lot of this with Justice League.  I just don't know if I trust Snyder to fix it.  The script can be lighter than BvS, but I don't know if Snyder is the guy to film it.  And even if he is, I wonder if he's already burned through most of his goodwill.

Word of mouth can help, and I don't think that the critics destroyed the movie's chances. But the negative news articles in the months leading up to the release, coupled with the reduced overall audience because the young kids can't go probably drove some numbers down.

These things are usually a machine that runs on excitement. Star Wars is not a great movie and none of the prequels were good. Yet the level of excitement in the press definitely built the audience. I have no idea how the movie turned out because I had to get past my annoyance with the marketing before I could think about seeing it. But the trailer revealed pretty much nothing about the plot, so it isn't like people were excited about that element.

Speaking of wasting money, did you guys see that James Cameron and 20th Century Fox are making FOUR Avatar sequels at the same time.  Did anyone ask for that???

That is such a big mistake. They're looking for a new Star Wars. I haven't heard anyone talk about Avatar in years though. I never even bothered to see it, because it looked like some thinly veiled "lesson" movie. Blah blah big oil whatever.

Well it was a huge movie.  Made a ton of money.  But had zero cultural impact.  I'd want to see the first sequel succeed before I committed to FOUR.

Exactly. A lot of the success had to do with the technology involved. 3D isn't as big as it was when that movie came out. More of the sequel success will revolve around creating a good movie. Was the first one actually good?

Informant wrote:

That is such a big mistake. They're looking for a new Star Wars. I haven't heard anyone talk about Avatar in years though. I never even bothered to see it, because it looked like some thinly veiled "lesson" movie. Blah blah big oil whatever.

You ever see the story of Pocahontas?  Then you pretty much saw Avatar.

Informant wrote:

Was the first one actually good?

It's the most overrated movie of all time.

Yeah, that's what I figured (one response to two separate posts!).

With JK Simmons and now Willem Defoe being cast in Justice League, I'm starting to suspect that we might get Spider-Man showing up at the end of this film's trailer too!

Apparently, Defoe will be a good guy. Beyond that, we don't have much info. Any guesses?

The film definitely has a solid cast. I wonder if they're going right for Darkseid or if they're saving that for Justice League 2? They've been hitting all of the super powerful Superman villains so far. I hope we get another Superman stand alone movie, just so we can see him take down someone like Metallo, who isn't necessarily a "destroy the world!" type of villain.

Well, if it's anything like BvS, it'll be the KnightFall storyline, the Kingdom Come storyline, the Flashpoint storyline, the formation of the Teen Titans, and a lot more of Dark Knight returns all in one wink

In all seriousness, they've said it will be lighter in tone.  Hopefully it's actually one villain and not some sort of obscure alien/robot invasion like Avengers.  What I'd like is for the first part of the movie to establish these guys and their powers.  I want to see what each of these guys can do.  Have a scene where they come together but get defeated because they can't work together.  Then team them up properly to take whoever down.

Maybe Mongul first?  And save Darkseid for the second movie?

No one betting against Jim Cameron's ginormously budgeted gambles has ever won. That said, past performance is not necessarily indicative for future results.

The Jungle Book...

Budget: $175 million (plus marketing)
Total domestic take thus far: $191,477,426   
Total Foreign take thus far: $341,300,000   
Equaling: $532,777,426

Pretty good, right?

Batman v Superman (after it's second week, assuming my numbers are right):

Budget: $250 (plus marketing)
Domestic: $260,408,047
Foreign: $422,500,000
Total: $682,908,047

I'm not going to compare movies. I'm going to compare media reactions... For the Jungle Book, I've seen a lot of stories about its huge success and how much people love the movie. Nothing about not fining an audience. Nothing about how much they need to make in order to make up for the cost of marketing. I could just be missing those articles, but I haven't seen them.

So, why the difference? The Jungle Book is a family friendly movie which people will probably see multiple times. It didn't bring in as much money in terms of product tie-ins (based on what I've seen in stores, it's just not as visible as BvS). So if all things are equal, shouldn't the articles be written about how disappointing this big budget movie with a lot of A-list names behind it is?

I'm fascinated by the media portrayal of Batman v Superman. I can't help it. I have nothing against The Jungle Book. It's doing well. But the overall narrative is that BvS failed to connect to an audience and that it was a failure, despite the fact that it did pretty well at the box office (especially for a movie that kids can't see) and actual audience reactions have been favorable. Where is the media coming from? What is their angle? Is a flop a better story?

Per Box Office Mojo

Batman v Superman
3/25-3/27 - $166,007,347
4/1-4/3 - $51,335,254 (-69%)
4/8-4/10 - $23,363,079 (-54%)
4/15-4/17 - $9,028,356 (-61%)

Jungle Book
4/15-4/17 - $103,261,464
4/22-4/24 - $61,538,821 (-44%)

Deadpool
2/12-2/14 - $132,434,639
2/19-2/21 - $56,470,167 (-57%)
2/26-2/28 - $31,115,195 (-44%)
3/4-3/6 - $16,725,929 (-46%)

I don't think the actual numbers are the problem.  It's the drop off, implying that people didn't go back.  Everyone went and saw it week 1, and that was it.  By week three, it wasn't in first.  Last weekend, it was 6th.  It was dethroned by a comedy - The Boss - and has yet to beat it.

Being a success is one thing.  I think everyone thinks it was a success.  But it hasn't really "found an audience" - people saw Daredevil multiple times.  People are seeing Jungle Book multiple times.  And in both cases, people are telling their friends to go see it, and they are.  That isn't happening with BvS.  Everyone went and saw it, and the people that waited didn't go.

Now did the press hurt it before those people could go see it?  Maybe.  But if the media tells me that a movie is terrible but my buddies tell me that it's great, I'll see it.  That's why I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane.  So the media might affect the first week, but the first week was fine.  It's the second week, which I think is a based more on word of mouth, that is the problem.

That doesn't explain the fascination with including their (rumored) marketing budget in with the movie's budget while failing to include product tie-ins with the profits. They're inflating the cost of the movie while deflating the earnings, just so they can make the story sound more grim.

One thing that I think may have hurt return viewing was the announcement of the extended cut so close to the theatrical release. If I see that, I'm not going to bother going to see it in the theater again. I'm going to save my money and wait for the extended "real" version of the movie. I think the movie will do well when it comes to home video.

I don't see how you can avoid bringing up the cost of marketing to explain why BATMAN VS SUPERMAN cost more than its $250 million budget. THE JUNGLE BOOK, with half a billion after two weeks and a 44 per cent drop, won't struggle to turn a strong profit even with a theoretically BVS level marketing and production budget by the end of its theatrical run.

BVS, in contrast, is reported to need to earn $925 million to be considered profitable and it's currently at $850 million after four weeks. This is most definitely not what Warner Bros. was hoping for; the expectation was that this film would earn half a million domestic and half a million foreign by its second weekend and reach 2 billion by week three or four.

I don't think BVS is a failure, but it's not the runaway success that one would have expected a Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman film to be. If the budget had been lower, it would have been superbly successful; as it stands, it's making moderate money.

It's also not really a movie that lends itself to be seen multiple times, I don't think.  I'm pretty sure I've seen every Zach Snyder film, but the only one I've watched repeatedly is, oddly enough, Dawn of the Dead.  I also think, while that movie is certainly grim, that it's his most fun movie.

(I found his filmography, and I saw that he did Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, which I bet is both less grim and more fun than any of Snyder's other films put together.  I don't know.  I haven't seen it.  Leaving in my mistake for reference sake)

When 300 or Watchmen or even Man of Steel come on, I watch a little of it and then I find something else.  It isn't that I didn't like those movies, but they're always so heavy and you sorta have to watch the whole thing to get any enjoyment of it.

(SPOILERS FOR EVERY SNYDER FILM COMING UP).

Yeah, everyone dies in Dawn of the Dead....but you only know that if you watch the post-credit stuff.  And it's a zombie flick.
Everyone dies in 300.
In Watchmen, the bad guy wins and the good guys are okay with it.  The only good guy that isn't is murdered.  And then, possibly, ruins everything by exposing it.
Sucker Punch, most of the girls die, right?  The main girl survives, but she's now by herself and alone.
And in Man of Steel, Superman comes into his own, but he had to murder a guy and be a party to hundreds of thousands of deaths for it to happen.
And in BvS, Superman dies and there's this ominous threat that something is coming and it's up to Batman, Wonder Woman, and three guys we saw on video to save the day.

I saw every one of those movies except 300 in theaters.  I didn't walk out of any of those movies depressed or anything, but they're not the kind of movie that puts a smile on your face.  Most of them are sepia-toned, dark, with this shroud of death covering the ending to each of them.

And so I think they're the type of movie that people watch, a lot of people like, and then that's it.  And while that's fine...it isn't the type of movie (like Deadpool or Avengers) that lends itself to making a ton of money.  And, of course, you don't have little kids begging to go see a movie again because no kids went to see this.

And if Snyder directs Justice League, I think you have to expect the same.  A lot of people will see it opening weekend, and there will be a sharp decline.  At the end of the first month in theaters, it'll be an afterthought.

I still say that we should be asking whether it is successful from a box office perspective, not based on internal numbers at WB.

That said, when did the billion dollar expectation go up to two billion? That was never going to happen.

Once you factor in various product tie-ins, the movie is probably much closer to a billion, if not over a billion. If we are talking about things like the marketing budget, we have to include how much they made from tie-ins because it is part of how it all balances out. But again, that is getting into internal Warner Bros. business, which we couldn't really figure out even if we wanted to. And it is not something that is being done with every movie out there.

There are reports that JUSTICE LEAGUE will be more lighthearted. And I will say this -- regardless of our issues with Snyder, he's a good director. I was not entirely on board with some of BVS, but it was certainly a memorable and striking film. ("Did your parents teach you that you mean something -- that you're here for a reason? My parents taught me a different lesson -- dying in the gutter for no reason at all.") Snyder wanted to be grim and downbeat and he does grim and downbeat very well. And I think that if he wants to be lighthearted and uplifting, he can do that as well.

I don't doubt that.  I think he is a good director.  I actually liked each one of his films, which is hard to say for any director.  I'd have to see the Legend of the Guardians movie to see how he handles lighter material, but I don't think that's gonna happen smile

As for the money -- nobody would spend $500 million dollars if the expectation was to do a touch better than break even. BVS is estimated to need to earn $920 million to be moderately profitable/not a disaster; surely Warner Bros. was hoping to do better than be moderately successful when they invested half a billion.

A lot of the media reports on BVS seem to be drawing on past history, specifically SUPERMAN RETURNS and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN II. Both films had high budgets with extremely optimistic projections. Both films were thought to be the starting point for multiple spin-offs and sequels that were approved well in advance of completion. Both films would, on the surface of it, seem to have been successful at box office.

But both films eventually turned out to be below the studio's needs and expectations; SUPERMAN RETURNS' modest profit and the likelihood that a sequel would earn about the same or less given the mixed reception made WB decide to wait out Brandon Routh's contract and shut down Bryan Singer's sequel. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN II, like BVS, was estimated to need to make $1 billion in order to be considered successful; $770 million and mixed reception likely meaning similar or less earnings for a sequel made Sony decide to shut down all the spin-offs and follow-ups.

And now we have BVS, which would appear to be following the ASM2 track of multiple sequels and spin-offs matched with a massive budget and the need for a near $1 billion dollar earning to be considered a success -- and basically limping its way there with massive drops in ticket sales every week. ASM2 also suffered from a lack of repeat viewings. History appears to be repeating itself --

Except WB is in too deep to cancel their spin-offs, so...

The Spider-Man situation seems to have had a lot of internal politics working against it as well. I think that was about more than money.

Yes, Warner Bros. needs to learn how to use their money more wisely. They need to improve their business model. In that regard, they are not succeeding.

However, if you want to get into the internal numbers and all of that, we need to know how much money the movie made on tie-ins, etc. We need to know every deal that was struck in regards to the movie.

Since I can't audit the company, I can look at the box office. To me, it looks like the movie made about as much as any movie that kids can't go to see.

Informant wrote:

One thing that I think may have hurt return viewing was the announcement of the extended cut so close to the theatrical release. If I see that, I'm not going to bother going to see it in the theater again. I'm going to save my money and wait for the extended "real" version of the movie. I think the movie will do well when it comes to home video.

One question that has been bugging me:

Why didn't WB release the "extended" version?  And why not "re-release" the extended version in theaters?

I'm serious.  Releasing an incomplete, lesser version of the movie seems confusing now that I think about it.  Most movies choose to avoid the R rating, but Deadpool showed that an R-rated film can make just as much (and, so far, more) money than a PG-13 film.  It's true that BvS was able to, for lack of a better term, "trick" some parents into taking their kids to their movie.  If a dad took his three kids to see BvS, that's $30-$45 that they probably wouldn't have gotten if they'd released an R-rated film.

There's also the teenagers who can handle the violence/darkness that couldn't legally pay for tickets to go see the movie with an R-rating.  They might sneak in to see it, but that gross wouldn't go to the studio unless they happened to buy tickets to another Fox film to sneak in.

But if the extended version reviews better, would that scare less people away from the theater?  Would it improve word of mouth?

Because this movie isn't for kids.  So the rating shouldn't be that big of an issue.  The length is a problem (181 minutes) but Interstellar 169 minutes.  The Revenant was 156.  The theatrical version of BvS is 153.  It'd be long, but the theatrical version never really dragged.  I complained it was much too long, but if it fixes some of the major flaws of the film?  If the extra 30 minutes makes Superman more likable?  Or helps with plot holes?

And even if they wanted to take advantage of PG-13, why not theatrically release the extended version now?

There is a rumor that the extended cut may get a theatrical release before the home video release. I guess we will see.

I don't think that it will change anything about Superman though. The perspectives will be largely the same. Unless they edited out Superman POV scenes, but I don't know how much I would expect that.

I think the studio probably wanted cuts for time and rating purposes. While I don't think it would change the tone of the movie, I'm sure that there is some good stuff that was cut. Personally,  I'd love to see the four hour version!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/37289 … ifferences
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/29/ … or-to-exit

Not to pile on the DC movies, but this is why I think DC needs a Kevin Feige.  If one person is in charge of the vision, then there's no confusion when hiring a director.  I know this has happened with Marvel (notably Ant-Man), but two directors leaving in one day is a sign that there's some issues at the top.

Wonder Woman lost its original director too... And you could say that Man of Steel lost about a thousand directors before it was eventually made.

If it were closer to filming those movies, I might be more worried. As it is, they announced a lot of that stuff a long time ago, before there were scripts and real plan in place. It's not like a whole concept is being scrapped, like with the various versions of Superman that never got made.

It's not great, for sure. I just don't think that it's a sign of doom, and I doubt that it has anything to do with the critic reviews of Batman v Superman. This is a big deal. The DC movies don't cheap out on directing style. I'm surprised that a first time director had the job in the first place.

Well this is why I'd want to get someone in charge now.  Suicide Squad is done.  Wonder Woman is almost done.  So with Flash and Aquaman possibly needing new directors, get someone in there now who can be in charge during filming of Justice League and preproduction of the other movies. 

I mean, hiring someone to oversee this stuff isn't exactly a sign of surrender, is it?  And there'd be a million people who'd love to do it, and a thousand who'd be great at it.  This is a monumental thing they're attempting, and if DC wants to make bigger, smarter, stronger, films I'd think they'd need a Feige WAY more than Marvel does.

You're assuming that there is no such oversight. I've seen no indication that they have a hole that needs filling.

I've read the same thing you've read.  That there's a bunch of people filling that role.  That it's sorta Geoff Johns and sorta Zach Snyder and sorta some other people.  But Geoff Johns plate is way too full, Snyder can't be directing everything and also in charge of other stuff.  Also, I think he's the wrong guy tongue

I'm not hating on DC.  I like those characters better so my hopes are higher for it.  And I just think DC/WB is kind of a mess.  Just like Fox is kind of a mess with X-Men and Fantastic Four.  I think Marvel has the advantage of having everything in house (with a monster like Disney backing them) so all they have to worry about is this stuff.

I don't think that the Marvel method works. They aren't cohesive. Characterization, plotting and continuity are weak. If that is because they have one guy leading the show, then it is smarter for DC to have a few people reading the scripts and talking to each other to keep things in line.

The fact is, none of this is really new ground. TV shows have had different writers and different directors for decades. Different shows have different methods of breaking stories or writing them. We don't really know which method DC is using yet, or how well it will work. So far, we only have Man of Steel and Batman v Superman to work with, and those are the same team, because BvS was a sequel (ish). We will know more once Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman come out.

I think the Marvel movies are as successful as they can in presenting the Marvel Universe as a single reality given that all the characters are from completely different genres that would ideally exist in their own world. As for DC -- stepping back from my personal opinions, I think we could all agree that creatively, DC is quite happy with their approach to their universe. WB executives stood up and applauded at the first screening of BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN. They didn't cancel any upcoming movies. They are looking to add a bit more humour. Aside from that, however, they're continuing as planned.

I'm still not sure why it has to be so black and white.  The Marvel way or the DC way.  I think there can be middle ground on all this stuff.  DC could take bits and pieces of Marvel's strategy without admitting that Marvel is better than them.  Just because Feige isn't doing a good job doesn't mean that it's a bad idea or that it would harm DC in any way.

Of course, if that person is ever Zack Snyder....a group of voices would be way better.  Let's at least have non Justice League movies be fun wink

I mean... I agree that there needs to be some person or people who are in charge of these projects, if that's what you mean. Like the Executive Producer of a TV series would do.

But whether that's one person or more, I can't really say which would be better.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-final- … 33263.html

I agree with the one guy who was quoted, saying that the movie was a box office success. I think that the driving force behind the perceived failure of the movie are the critic reactions, which other articles use as the basis for their viewpoint. The actual audience reaction has been far more favorable than what the press has portrayed. I'm not saying that everyone loved it, but it hasn't been the type of hatred that the critics have had.

And the critics probably hate it because they have no clue who these characters are or what type of stories they're capable of, outside of the movies that have come out prior to this one.

BvS was a box office success but didn't perform up to WB's expectations. The initial weekend was extremely strong, but the fall-off in ticket sales was huge.

Right now, between Flash losing its director, Aqua Man's director not sure if he wants to continue, the entirety of Batman's rogues gallery being in the stand-alone film the DC 'franchise' looks like a dumpster fire. WB let the wrong guy create their universe, and now they're desperately flailing about trying to save it. No, you don't have to copy Marvel to be successful (and I'm a long-time DC guy), but you do need to have someone somewhere who loves the source material. Someone has to be able to say, "let's get things going before we 'deconstruct' the universe."

I think Snyder has shown that he has a love of the source material. Everyone is making more drama here than there really is.

I think that while BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN was Informant's favourite movie of the year, the miserable reviews, crashing downfall in ticket sales after the first week and overall negativity towards the film can hardly be dismissed from a historical standpoint even if one disagrees with it from a personal standpoint.