Topic: GenCon

So since I saw the board vs real life post, I thought I would mention this subject. I know in the past some of the board members were gamers, but not sure if any are still avid players or even attend Cons much anymore. Just to let people know I am a longtime GenConer. This year will be my 11th year attending and 6th year spending at least half my time in the Writer's Symposium. BTW for any who have no clue what GenCon is, it is the largest gaming convention in the world. Guests this year are Media: Summer Glau, Marina Sirtis,and Authors: Terry Brooks, Chuck Wendig, Patrick Rothfuss, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and a lot more. Also seemingly becoming a regularly is Wil Wheaton.

So just putting it out there if you are attending first time or older-timer, you need any hints, tips, suggestions, help, etc. Just let me know. Basically since I live here in Indy, I know the area very well. And since I have attended all but 1 year it has been here I am definitely experienced.

Jess

Re: GenCon

See if Summer Glau is Cool or Friendly will you?I've heard she is rather Icy. Although a friend of mine who goes to Cons said she just seems shy or reserved when not in character.

Would be nice to get your opinion.

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

Hehehe   I met Marina Sirtis a few years ago at Wizard World New Orleans.  I thought she was drunk; but I went to school with a guy that's worked with her, and he said she's just always like that.  Turns out she was doing a great deal of acting as Donna Troy, and we just never realized it.

Good to see ya around Jessie. smile

Whoa, really? When did Marina play Donna Troy? Was this an episode of WONDER WOMAN or one of the DC Animated Features?

ireactions wrote:

Whoa, really? When did Marina play Donna Troy? Was this an episode of WONDER WOMAN or one of the DC Animated Features?

lol  That's what I get for posting so early in the morning.  I screwed up the name; I meant when Marina played this character:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/8/8e/Picard_with_hair.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/180?cb=20130402225946&path-prefix=en

Summer Glau just seems really reserved to me. It is hard for someone who is introverted to put themselves out there and be entertaining at conventions. I watched a video from a few years ago with the Firefly cast... I think it was DragonCon, but I'm not sure. Everyone was joking around and the cast members who couldn't attend were interrupting by calling the guests' cell phones while they were on stage. It was funny. People started to wonder why Summer wasn't being hounded and she just very quietly replied that she had turned her phone off, which was funny in the moment.
She doesn't do social media. She just strikes me as introverted. It's sad if people really interpret that as icy, because that implies lack of caring or ungratefulness.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Informant wrote:

Summer Glau just seems really reserved to me. It is hard for someone who is introverted to put themselves out there and be entertaining at conventions. I watched a video from a few years ago with the Firefly cast... I think it was DragonCon, but I'm not sure. Everyone was joking around and the cast members who couldn't attend were interrupting by calling the guests' cell phones while they were on stage. It was funny. People started to wonder why Summer wasn't being hounded and she just very quietly replied that she had turned her phone off, which was funny in the moment.
She doesn't do social media. She just strikes me as introverted. It's sad if people really interpret that as icy, because that implies lack of caring or ungratefulness.

Mmmm... I guess Most People are used to Actors and Actresses being Gregarious and Larger than Life in the Old School Thespian way of the Ham.

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

Yeah. It would surprise a lot of people to find out that many actors get into acting as a way of getting out of their she'll a bit. People also confuse introvertedness with shyness, but they are pretty different.

In fact, one reason why I don't go to conventions is because I am kinda introverted and dislike the big crowds. Acting is a totally different feeling.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

That old Phrase about People having One of Two types of Fears comes to mind.
1: Fear of being Alone.
2: Fear of being Swallowed by the Crowd.

Nearly went to the Excel Con in London a few Years back but did not manage.
My friend told me all those People packed in created a rather Ripe and Distinctive welcome Scent.... So yeah, I can see some of the downsides there for sure! big_smile