Topic: Sliders Documentary (no, there isn't one. Don't get your hopes up)

I was just watching Chaos on the Bridge, on Netflix. It details the drama of making Star Trek RNG, mostly in the first two seasons, when everyone running the show was nuts. Tracy Torme is featured.

So it got me to thinking about the discussion that we were having about a Sliders con panel the other day, and I decided that a documentary might be easier. Go to each interview subject and have them tell their story... Probably more likely to happen than a convention panel.

If this could get made, I think it could show that there is still interest in Sliders as well. I have no idea how to convince people to make this, but looking at some of the documentaries on Netflix about different fandoms, I think it is at least possible. Maybe. Someday.

Anyway, go watch Chaos on the Bridge.
Then watch Lost Soul, about the making of the 1996 Island of Dr. Moreau movie. That one is such a strange, insane story. Not entirely unlike how I picture Sliders in my head sometimes.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

2 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-09-18 16:12:42)

Re: Sliders Documentary (no, there isn't one. Don't get your hopes up)

There's a ghostbusters one as well on netflix. I did see the Chaos on the Bridge one you mentioned, and it was good to see tracy in it.

Sliders has been on Netflix for a long time, it must be popular enough on that platform for them to continue to provide it. Maybe Netflix would see the value in producing one for Netlfix, considering so many people must be watching it there.

I think we could get a kickstarter going and then hire a production studio to make it.  I don't know if people would be willing to pay for it, but it'd definitely be an interesting documentary, and I bet you could get most of the key players (except for RIP Peckinpah) to participate.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I think we could get a kickstarter going and then hire a production studio to make it.  I don't know if people would be willing to pay for it, but it'd definitely be an interesting documentary, and I bet you could get most of the key players (except for RIP Peckinpah) to participate.

No offense, but you're living in a fantasy world if you think a crowdsourced Sliders documentary is possible. While everyone I know from the show is happy to bullshit about what they remember, they are also quick to admit that they remember next to nothing about the experience.

That, factored with Torme's illness, the spread of the crew to the four corners of the globe, and the cost of such an endeavor, makes it a pipe dream.

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

I'm usually living in a fantasy world.

Matt Hutaff -- crushing your dreams since 1995!

But clearly, the solution here is to set your sights lower to a more achievable project. The solution is to find an expert on SLIDERS. A figure whom we would all agree is the de-facto authority on the series -- and find some way to offer this person a sum of money -- a grant of sorts -- to fund him while he takes the time out of his life to write a book. An ebook. A behind the scenes tell-all of SLIDERS' production history. A writer friend of mine once described grants such as these as "grocery money" to keep himself while working on projects that had yet to be sold. We would need to offer this individual a grant in exchange for an agreed delivery date and distribution system and he would also need to receive all profits from the publication of the book because he was the one who spent all the time and money and effort hammering behind the scenes tidbits out of SLIDERS production staff and crew members.

But would he do it... ? I don't know. We all serve SLIDERS in our own way; some of us by talking about it, some of us by writing foolhardy 20th anniversary specials that only 23 people will read, and it is arguable that this fine fellow has done his work, put as much of it online as he's willing to and we should ask no more of him.