Topic: Timeless

Anyone else watch this new series from NBC?

I was reading an article about it and was surprised to see a Sliders reference! So cool.

A snippet from theatlantic.com, authored by Spencer Kornhaber.

Abigail Spencer plays the college professor Lucy, roped into a Homeland Security operation mostly against her will and against logic itself—“You’ve got a hell of a reputation: history, anthropology, you’re world class,” the presiding officer Denise (Sakina Jaffrey) explains to her, an unintentionally comic moment of the need for plot movement outpacing the needs of convincing storytelling. Whatever: Get on with the Sliders stuff! The enigmatic zillionaire Mason Lark (Paterson Joseph) has built a time-travel machine but the terrorist Garcia Flynn (Goran Višnjić) has hijacked it for unknown ends. Now, Lucy must team up with the dashing, impulsive special-forces trooper Wyatt Logan (Matt Lanter) and the jittery, idealistic scientist Rufus Carlin (Malcolm Barrett) to follow Fynn and stop him from messing with the past to cause catastrophes in the present.

Probably is more like Quantum Leap.  Have high hopes for this series though.

Re: Timeless

I'll be checking this out.

CW premiered Frequency last night. It's available on demand and streaming

I just watched the pilot. I wanted to like it, since I have liked the work of the show's creators in the past... But it kinda sucked.

The history element was lazy. They kept this running gag about the bad guy wearing pajamas, despite the fact that he wasn't dressed too differently than several of the 1930's extras. Coveralls aren't new.

They kept acting as though the 1930's were mind-bogglingly different, but they over sold it. It wasn't the 1730's. Things weren't all that different in a lot of ways.

I also thought that they went for a lot of the time travel clichés. It just felt flat and lifeless. Like it was copied from history depicted in other TV shows, and wasn't written as real people living in a real place.

Time travel shows can't avoid paradoxes. This show was no different. If A goes back in time and alters it, how does B even remember the original timeline? The trick is to sell us on the story, so we don't care about the logic. In this case, they failed to do that.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

In the past time travel shows (The Time Tunnel, Quantum Leap) never bothered with the paradoxes now we find ourselves causing headaches to think about them.

I watched the Pilot and thought it was okay and showed some promise. Especially the crazy ending involving the differences in the professor's family members...nice twist and it opens doors for where to take the show.

I like the professor and I like the scientist but I cannot say I have a lot of love for the military man. he just seems too cliché and "been there, seen that" about his character.

I will continue to watch the show because for the most part. I liked it.

6 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-10-15 19:41:57)

I really enjoyed the second episode. It was cool going back in time like that, and they did a very good job at making it feel real.

I'm enjoying it. Therefore, it will end up being cancelled, much like Limitless.

8 (edited by KerrAvon 2016-11-02 12:03:38)

I was enjoying the first couple of episodes but these last two got me going. The one about Ian Fleming (historical inaccuracies) and the one about the Alamo.
Growing up in Texas( and San Antonio to boot!) the Texas history was b pounded into us in school Especially elementary and middle. What the history books and the teachers failed to tell us bright eyed school children was that the whole sticking point between the Texas "patriots" and the Mexican government was one word: Slavery.
The Mexican Constitution specifically prohibited slavery and the practice in Mexico. Texas was a Mexican state. Most of the American immigrants were from the South (hell Stephen F Austin was from Alabama and Sam Houston was from Georgia)
Needing the slaves to work the free land and the lazy Americans could not see doing this without slave labor) led to the Americans taking up arms.   Mexico simply had no choice but to put down the rebellion as would any legitimate government.

So all the talk about Texas liberty and freedom by a bunch of asshole slave holders just make me want to barf like a chicken.
Please.

So enough of the history lesson and back to the show: I don't know WTH Flynn's end game was. By preventing Travis from sending out that letter...was that to prevent Texas from breaking off from Mexico?
And that's a bad thing?  Huh?
Consider that Texas eagerly joined the Confederacy and by the 1930's was a top state for lynching of African Americans...not to mention that the place leads the nation in its practice of capital punishment...
Perhaps  had Texas remained a part of Mexico would not have been so bad after all....

Okay, since every other show is on hiatus and I have a lot of free time until the new year, I have been catching up on the series. It really is Sliders-y in a lot of ways. I wouldn't call it great, or even really good, but it is entertaining enough to pass the time. My main problems are:

The lack of historical depth... The series would be a great way of moving beyond the shallow pop culture views of history, and really digging into the less discussed aspects. It would probably piss a lot of people off, since reality isn't quite what people sell the masses today, but it would be interesting.

And also, the huge plot holes. The writers are opting for easy writing and false drama over legitimate character depth and legitimate drama. Characters want to "fix" history, but in stupid ways that anyone with any amount of sense would know is a bad idea. It sucks that Lincoln died, but changing it would probably suck a lot worse.

Watchable show. Not as good as it could be though.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Travelers on netflix from what I've seen so far is definitely worth watching.

It's a decent show so far but I still wonder how long they can drag it out with running after Flynn. In many ways it's like the Sliders running after Rickman minus the brain juice.

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

Yeah, but I expect them to turn that story around any minute now. By the end of the season, he will be an ally. smile

I'm wondering how they're going to reset the timeline. They're using up all of the big moments in history (even when they don't need to), which is going to make it tricky for the writers to not get everything confused over time. So will history eventually reset itself once they wrap up this storyline?

Watched the first 6 episodes today. Definitely some time travel logic plot holes mentioned earlier in this thread, but pretty entertaining otherwise, I'm enjoying it.

Gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the filming on this latest episode about Jesse James. It looks movie quality. Don't know about anyone else but I was surprised Abigail done the shooting this time around instead of Wyatt. The Lone Ranger idea was somewhat lame, since to my knowledge its a fictional character. The racial tones seem unnecessary too about Rufus calling the currently portrayed Lone Ranger a "white dick".

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

Finally watched episodes 13 and 14 today.... show continues to be good!

I think it continues to improve each week.  Was not sold on the team initially and questioned whether a group with such varying backgrounds could become a cohesive team.  I now get the feeling that the 3 genuinely are developing relationships/friendships.  It does not feel forced either.  I liken it to Rembrandt's integration and acceptance by the others.

I agree with you. It has gotten better and now they have raised the stakes. The three have gone rogue after pissing off the NSA. It should be most interesting from this point forward.

My niece described TIMELESS to me and I thought -- boy, TIMELESS sounds like the original show of which LEGENDS OF TOMORROW is a shabby ripoff.

Now that the first season is over, what did everyone think? I loved it, I sure hope it gets picked up for a second season... Although it sounds unlikely from what I've heard.

I'd like to see it renewed. It is nowhere near Kripke's best work. It isn't as refined as his Supernatural stuff, and it would be hard to take Timeless too seriously. However, the show is fun to binge watch once I have a few episodes saved up. Definitely better than Legends of Tomorrow.

Anyone remember Journeyman? I will have to see if that one is available anywhere.

Sounds like it's been canceled by NBC if what I've read today is true. With any luck it'll get picked up by another network the way Sliders did. I'd love to see this show continue.

I haven't watched, but Kripke did say he'd work to get it picked up somewhere else.  Would it work on the CW?  I wonder if he still has enough equity there?

The show had it's problems, but it was a fun way to pass the time. I wouldn't mind seeing it picked up by the CW or Syfy, but I doubt that it will.

WOW!
http://deadline.com/2017/05/timeless-re … 202092878/

It is really surprising that the show was renewed. The process of having fans rally and influence this sort of reversal has really gotten faster than when I was a kid. No letters. No hot sauce campaign. I guess this is good. The faster it happens, the less likely they are to lose actors, etc.

It's weird. I didn't see a new post alert for this thread, so I didn't know about this until I looked at NBC's schedule. I was thinking about the fact that they only had one show that I had any interest in (This Is Us), compared to maybe seven or eight at FOX. Then I saw Timeless listed for midseason and it took me a second to get what happened.

And this was right after I recovered from the shock of seeing The Exorcist on the FOX schedule.

Informant wrote:

And this was right after I recovered from the shock of seeing The Exorcist on the FOX schedule.

Is that show good?

Surprisingly not bad. I'm not sure if I think that it can last many seasons, but the first season is worth watching. They did go a little bigger than necessary though. It could have been a smaller, more subtle story.

Episode 1 of season 2 aired two days ago, I watched it yesterday on Hulu. It’s great to see this show back.

*dont read further if haven’t yet seen it, for spoilers*

I don’t know if I just don’t remember or if it’s intentionally vague as to what’s happened to lead up to this point... Why do they each think the other team members are or might be dead?

This past week’s episode that takes place entirely in the present was excellent. My favorite episode so far, though their time travel rules are a little bizarre.

I wonder if they’ll do an episode taking place in the future at some point?

The series was cancelled last month but announced today, due to fan response, a 2 part series finale is coming this November.

This show’s fan following reminds me so much of Sliders’ fans back in the day. Still can’t believe Timeless fans raised enough money to fly a banner over San Diego Comic Con.

I'm happy for the fans to get closure, but I have to say that I'm not torn up over the show being canceled. They kept hitting historical moments, but it all seemed like shallow, uninteresting takes on history. Sometimes entirely fabricated. As a result, the thrust of the series seemed shallow and uninteresting to me.

I'd love to see a time travel show that really dug into history and explored the different layers and complexities involved.

not sure how many people saw the 'finale' last night but I can't help but think how much the journey of this series is similar to sliders, especially if this movie special gives them the momentum to continue.  It was the no 1 or 2 trending topic on twitter last night, and while that's only part of the picture for audience engagement, it does make a difference to broadcasters as well.

The re-runs are on Hulu, and I think that's Sony's top hope for a pickup.