Re: Personal Status Updates!

Haha, well as we discussed privately, I hope you find the time to finish up.  I rather liked the last part and look forward to the conclusion.

Are you still excited even after this post I made in the Bboard issues thread?

maxcardun wrote:

It's like the guy thought Peckenpah was an absolute genius at story's and wanted to overboard with the science fictional aspects or what I like to call "Science Fantasy

10 Sliders at one time which is only ambitious if it's believable and unnecessarily bringing back both Geiger and Rickman, Quinn and Colon's parents live at Epcot Center, THE VORTEX IS PINK, Maggie is Blonde, planet wide epidemics can work at the speed of light with a knife prick, the Sliders start developing "superpowers" [...] not to mention the annoying Mary Sue character he made up known stereotypically as Janine Chen.

Suddenly, I'm worried. The finale of SLIDERS REBORN will feature:

• 40 - 50 sliders

• A pink vortex

• A blonde Maggie

• The sliders developing 'superpowers'

• A spunky teenager who is Quinn's daughter

In addition, the story will have the return of:

• The rock star vampires

• The giant radioactive slug

• The underground Morlocks

• The animal-human hybrids

• The super-intelligent snakes

• The pancake parasites

• The fat craving zombies

• The dinosaurs

• The killer robots

• The Dream Masters

• The amusement park that feeds on negative emotions

• The remote controlled cars with laser cannons

• Diana Davis

And the story will be dedicated to the memory of David Peckinpah and will include the sliders running a detective agency like one of Peckinpah's cop shows and a heavily action oriented approach reminiscent of Season 3.

Are you as nervous about this story as I am? Matt thinks I'm completely insane. God help us all.

You already had an entire episode featuring Mallory as Quinn's conscience.  There's nowhere to go but up wink

From the Breeder thread:

pilight wrote:
ireactions wrote:

On the Season 3 monsters in general -- I always figured Quinn and Arturo would whip up some inventive solutions with something of Torme's sense of humour -- such as where the key elements to defeating the zombies, animal-human hybrids, vampires, scarab and robots could be a stick of butter, a jar of aspirin, a tin of peanuts, an insulin kit, cough syrup and a case of golf balls. I've been thinking about this a lot.

Yes, what Sliders really needed was to be more like Macgyver

pilight's sarcastic response hurt my feelings a bit (not that it should stop anyone) because I finished outlining a sequence that has the sliders charging into battle against zombies, dragons, animal-human hybrids, Morlocks, vampires, scarabs, killer robots and the sliders' key armaments are indeed a stick of butter, a bottle of aspirin, bag of peanuts, a flashlight, an insulin kit, some cough syrup and a number of golf balls.

Matt continues to maintain that I'm completely insane on this. I did have to lose the pancake parasites, snakes and the amusement park, sadly. The mini-scoop from "Please Press One" is a maybe.

This ties into yet another question I have for Informant; have you ever had to revise a previous work because your next installment went in an unexpected direction? My issue is that in Part 5, there was a glimpse of the future and that glimpse had a storm of Season 3 monsters attacking the city. However, as I nail down all the details of Part 6, it's become clear to me that a few of the monsters will have to omitted -- specifically the super-intelligent snakes and the pancake parasites (the latter of which already appeared in Part 2, so it's not a snub).

The reason I'm eliminating them -- Part 3 has Quinn briefly reconnecting with the intelligent living flame from "The Fire Within" and Part 6 was originally going to have Quinn defeat the pancake parasites by calling upon the intelligent flame to create a massive burst of fire that would draw in all the heat-craving parasites and cold-blooded snakes and incinerate them but leave the flame too exhausted to contribute more to the fight. I've decided not to do this because... well, there's a certain tone I'm aiming for by using the Season 3 monsters -- a funny, comedic, pleasing, absurd tone of crazy images -- and Quinn burning his enemies to death was not the tone I wanted.

... so I'm going back into Part 5 and removing the lines that specify that the parasites and snakes are coming for the city. It still leaves the zombies and vampires and Morlocks and robots and remote controlled cars that shoot lasers and the animal human hybrids.

Anyway. I'm wondering where Informant stands on this kind of digital chicanery.

Back in the days of movie serials, writers would throw characters off of a cliff and leave audiences hanging until the next installment. Then they'd come back and resolve this impossible situation by rewriting the scene and including an easy out. It was a dishonest cheat because it never really resolved the problem at all. It just made it go away.

My policy is that anything already published is set in stone (story wise. Fixing errors is still okay). If people have already read it, a change is dishonest. Those people probably won't go back and read the previous part, so now they'll just be wondering what's going on.

So... Probably not the answer that you're looking for. Sorry. Plenty of people would revise with no problem. It would just drive me insane.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

I just looked at the script pages where the vision of the future needs to be revised -- I need to remove three words from a monologue. Still, I think you'd be right. However, in my case -- well, I'm doing this for free! I'm not a professional! Hopefully, this won't lead to a MISERY-style situation. *sigh* I think I will hold off on removing the words from Part 5 until I finish Part 6 -- maybe the parasites and the snakes can be briefly mentioned and dispatched.

I'd just like to say it's really cool of you to not immediately dismiss the idea that the Season 3 monsters could be used effectively and in a way that's true to the themes and values of SLIDERS in its first two seasons.

The Sliders shouldn't be "charging into battle" at all.  They're not soldiers.  They need to find ways to defeat their enemies indirectly.  Use their scientific knowledge to undermine the monsters' power or protect people from them.  That's what Quinn and company did in the first two seasons.  They didn't confront the California Health Commission in "Fever", they found a way to diminish its power.  In "The Good, the Bad, and the Wealthy" Quinn did everything he could to avoid direct confrontation.  That's the Sliders ethos for the first two seasons.

pilight wrote:

The Sliders shouldn't be "charging into battle" at all.  They're not soldiers.  They need to find ways to defeat their enemies indirectly.  Use their scientific knowledge to undermine the monsters' power or protect people from them.  That's what Quinn and company did in the first two seasons.  They didn't confront the California Health Commission in "Fever", they found a way to diminish its power.  In "The Good, the Bad, and the Wealthy" Quinn did everything he could to avoid direct confrontation.  That's the Sliders ethos for the first two seasons.

Well, this post of yours makes me feel better. I think you will approve of how this turns out.

pilight wrote:

I don't disagree with anything in this, but wouldn't an extended amount of time sliding eventually "soldierize" anyone?  Not only would they end up getting involved in actual conflicts (which happened as early as the Pilot), but they'd be acquiring soldier-like skills on a daily basis.  They're effectively homeless hobos traveling from "town" to "town" having to scrape enough of a living, but their journey could also be that of a squadron of soldiers who have to get from point A to point B in enemy territory.  Quinn could be anti-conflict, but he'd be eventually forced to at some point.  He'd probably eventually have to use a weapon.  He'd probably eventually have to kill someone.  And then again.

Because it was a 90s show, not much really carried on from week to week, but a sliders reboot now would have to show the physical and mental toll that sliding would take.  They'd have no money and no permanent shelter, and they'd have to be very quick on their feet to get by.  They'd either have to be criminals (Rembrandt stealing from his double) or con men (falsifying or stealing an identity) just to make ends meet.

I don't particularly like any version of sliders where they end up as Navy SEALs, able to take out an army of mercenaries with ease (see The Walking Dead), but they'd definitely become more like an Army the longer they slid.

Maybe most of the worlds they encounter aren't violent like that.  It could be a subtle point of the reboot, that violence isn't a necessary part of civilization and thus the Sliders don't develop those skills.

I don't have a problem with them handwaving the money stuff.  Sliders isn't the kind of show that demands hyper-realism.

Whether worlds are incredibly violent or not, I think that the characters would need to be defensive. If they're not like soldiers, they'd be like spies. They would need to develop skills for different situations, from simply reading a culture for the sake of blending in, to fighting for their survival if necessary.

I think violence, to some degree, is a necessary part of civilization. Many people today don't have to face that fact simply because we have other people doing our fighting for us. But where there are humans, there will be conflict. Where there is conflict, there will be violence. The rest is just a matter of degree.

I'd just like to say it's really cool of you to not immediately dismiss the idea that the Season 3 monsters could be used effectively and in a way that's true to the themes and values of SLIDERS in its first two seasons.

You've read my work, right? Naked zombies. Disgruntled former waiters, attacking Hollywood celebrities who have remarkably good fighting skills... there's not a whole lot that I immediately dismiss. smile

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

pilight wrote:

Maybe most of the worlds they encounter aren't violent like that.  It could be a subtle point of the reboot, that violence isn't a necessary part of civilization and thus the Sliders don't develop those skills.

I don't have a problem with them handwaving the money stuff.  Sliders isn't the kind of show that demands hyper-realism.

Well, I've always wondered why the Sliders didn't bring things with them.  They could each carry a backpack (which wouldn't be too heavy or too cumbersome) full of food/supplies/clothes/toiletries/etc.  There would be times when they'd have to abandon their supplies because they'd need to escape, but it'd make things so much easier.  If they had a few cans of food, some bottled water, some clothes, and some medical supplies (among 4 backpacks), they'd be ready for just about any situation they land on.

Money would be an issue, but it might be easier to slide in the 2000s (with credit cards) than in the 90s (with paper money).

As far as the violence goes, I agree that they wouldn't run into it on most worlds, but it would happen.  If they're homeless criminals 24/7 (and let's face it, they would be), they're going to get into issues with law enforcement and people they're trying to scam.  And if they did land on a world at war, they'd have to participate just to survive.

Real-life sliding would almost have to be drastically different than the way it was shown on the show, but even in a 90s sci-fi series, I think they'd be hardened by the experience.  Maybe not elite soldiers, but they'd acquire military-like skills for sure.

Hey, Slider_Quinn21? Could you check your email? I could use your help with something. Thanks!

As for the thoughts on how the sliders would react realistically to their adventures -- the simple truth is that SLIDERS isn't a realistic series and never has been. SLIDERS attempted to create a realistic *feeling* via cinematography, lighting and costuming, but the psychological fallout of their traumas has always been deflected with comedy or outright ignored whether it's Season 1 or Season 4.

And the only way to real deal with it, in my view, is to simply embrace it. Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo are four people who turned out to have precisely the right mindsets, skillsets and attitudes to not only survive sliding but thrive on it.

The fact that the Professor was always in a fitted suit and Rembrandt always had cash and Wade could get hired by the mayor despite having no credentials and that Quinn never carried luggage is best seen as a metaphor representing their superb aptitude for living as interdimensional nomads rather than a literal portrayal of what it would be like for them.

Okay, I've found a way for Part 6 to match the vision of the future that was shown in Part 5 by including the parasites and the snakes while finding a way to remove them from the big fight so that the sliders don't have to kill them. There will be no need to retroactively amend Part 5. Thanks, Informant.

As for piliight -- I have to say we're of precisely the same mindset. REBORN treats SLIDERS' tangled history the way the way the best legacy superhero comics will celebrate and incorporate all variations of their mythos into a unified supermyth. For the final installment, I wanted to take the sliders on a spin into the superhero genre and while still keeping the sliders recognizably the sliders. I decided to bring in the Season 3 monsters for that purpose and have the sliders fight them.

But I too found that having the sliders engage in physical combat was an inappropriate fit -- mostly because the sliders don't have any physical superpowers; their superpower is vortex technology and all the advantages there and their superheroics would not be killing monsters but in rescuing people and finding some clever way to deal with the monsters using the contents of a Costco. This is why I wanted to take the parasites and the snakes out -- I felt that the solutions to those two monsters were too violent.

I think my use of the words "fight" and "charging into battle" are hyperbolically misleading. The sliders don't have weapons to fight the dragon and scarabs. They have aspirin and cough syrup. It's meant metaphorically; they're working to save the day -- but they're not physically trying to hurt anyone.

Your derisive remark about MACGYVER shook me because MACGYVER's non-violent and scientific thinking was what inspired me, but your later post has made me feel a renewed confidence. If I were having the sliders dress up in masks and kevlar to kill supervillains, it would be a Marvel movie with characters using the SLIDERS names; I really think that this will be a SLIDERS take on the superhero genre and capture the sense that any story is conceivably a SLIDERS story. This can work. Thanks.

I don't object to MacGyver.  It's just that we already have a MacGyver, we don't need another one.

So what you're saying is that there's an episode of MACGYVER where he fights zombies, vampires, animal human hybrids, killer robots and Morlocks? I'm only in the first season; when does he start fighting monsters? I'm looking forward to it.

Funny story. I can't watch McGyver. Every time I've tried watching an episode on Netflix, my father wound up in the hospital. So now nobody in my family is allowed to watch that show. We use it as a threat. smile

ireactions wrote:

So what you're saying is that there's an episode of MACGYVER where he fights zombies, vampires, animal human hybrids, killer robots and Morlocks? I'm only in the first season; when does he start fighting monsters? I'm looking forward to it.

He fights the head of the Dream Masters on MANY occasions.

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

ireactions wrote:

In fanfiction, MacGyver deals with monsters and supernatural creatures all the time.

Once again, pilight, I have to ask: given your contemptuous disdain for my thoughts on how SLIDERS could do monster stories while still retaining its identity, do you have any actual alternatives and ideas for how else SLIDERS could do monster movies? Or would you simply have the sliders be snidely dismissive of the monsters?

ireactions wrote:

Once again, pilight, I have to ask: given your contemptuous disdain for my thoughts on how SLIDERS could do monster stories while still retaining its identity, do you have any actual alternatives and ideas for how else SLIDERS could do monster movies? Or would you simply have the sliders be snidely dismissive of the monsters?

Quinn and especially the Professor would never for a second believe these creatures to be supernatural.  They're living things that abide by the laws of nature.  Find out what's causing them to be the way they are and you'll find out how to defeat them.  If the monsters are intelligent, negotiation may be possible.

So, having been nothing but rudely scornful of my thoughts on the Season 3 monsters and how they could be done well, your proposed alternative is... simply to paraphrase my own ideas back at me but with an extra sentence about negotiation. When it comes from me, it's too much like MACGYVER, but when it comes out of your keyboard, that's absolutely fine.

Clearly, it was a waste of time to take any interest in your opinions since you have none to offer, only sneering derision followed by parroting back the very viewpoints with which you disagreed.

Hey, if there's a series of parallel universes out there that can create hyper-intelligent telepathic Kromaggs, why CAN'T there be vampires? Or life-prolonging mutant worms? Or shapeshifting magical dragons? Once you set the bar to "crazy", all bets are off, people. ALL BETS.

And "pilight," your comments are neither rude nor scornful. Now both of you kiss and make up.

I actually have had this conversation recently with ireactions, but my only issue with monsters is the show's tendency to only feature worlds that seemingly branched off pretty recently.  For the most part, almost every world they featured had humans that evolved the same way as on Earth Prime.  Language evolved the same way as Earth Prime.  People tended to build buildings in the same place looking the same way, and an extraordinary amount of people had sex at the exact same time with the exact same sperm reaching the egg each time.

And it makes sense from a production standpoint.  People are easier to film as....people.  Sets are more easily redressed than rebuilt.

But when you take a step passed that (and you can when filming restraints no longer apply - like in a book/fanfic/comic), you understand that in a multiverse of infinite worlds, *most* of the worlds the Sliders would land on would feature "monsters."  Super-intelligent dinosaurs that evolved freely with no mass extinction would be monsters, but that's almost what happened.  Same with dolphins, rats, and any of the other primates.

An astronomer friend of mine told me about theories that alien worlds could have life that derives from thermosynthesis instead of photosynthesis.  So, yeah, a world with people who die if exposed to sunlight (vampires) is easily possible if you unhinge the show from the constraints of a show.

Recently, Quinn Mallory accidentally stumbled upon yet another remarkable invention. As he excitedly attempted to show his friends, the device went crazy and turned Remmy, Wade and the Professor into children!

With their newfound youth, the trio attended the Emmy Awards and performed for the audience...

https://youtu.be/dj6icFSWB4k?t=1m6s

Informant wrote:

Recently, Quinn Mallory accidentally stumbled upon yet another remarkable invention. As he excitedly attempted to show his friends, the device went crazy and turned Remmy, Wade and the Professor into children!

With their newfound youth, the trio attended the Emmy Awards and performed for the audience...

https://youtu.be/dj6icFSWB4k?t=1m6s

Funny stuff. Damn, Remmy can dance.

There's a reason why the Tops crumbled without the Cryin' Man.

Informant wrote:

There's a reason why the Tops crumbled without the Cryin' Man.

Who are you kidding?  15 number one hits minus Rembrandt.

Slider_Quinn21, check your email for a diagram on my thoughts regarding the multiverse and please provide your usual criticism. Always appreciated.

I will happily make up with pilight once pilight provides a thorough apology. I have extended far more courtesy than pilight deserves, but my patience for pilight is depleted.

When I proposed a method for rebooting SLIDERS with the original cast at their current ages, pilight had nothing but ridiculing remarks for the smallest and most irrelevant of details, but I treated those as constructive criticisms and expressed appreciation for pilight's nitpicking.

I did the same when in the "Breeder" thread, I pondered ways of telling monster movie stories that would maintain something of SLIDERS as a scientifically principled series. Both in that thread and here, pilight scoffed at my thoughts by saying my ideas were simply mimicking MACGYVER. As before, I assumed positive intent and inquired as to pilight's own views on how monster movies might be done. After ignoring the question repeatedly and responding to thank you for his 'criticisms' with no acknowledgement whatsoever, pilight finally condescended to offer pilight's own views on how to do monster movies in SLIDERS --

WHICH WERE EXACTLY THE SAME AS MY VIEWS!!!!

Clearly, pilight is one of THOSE people who respond to any and all ideas from others with uniform dismissiveness because those ideas come from others. In contrast, ideas that come from pilight are somehow superior even when they're identical to the ideas pilight labels as inadequate. I am no longer going to assume positive intent. I am no longer going to assume that pilight has an alternate and opposing point of view to share. I'm instead coming to the conclusion pilight's just an ass and pilight can piss right off. I am done taking pilight's thoughts and opinions seriously.

Informant, I am sick of telling you this, so for THE LAST TIME -- announce it when your books have been released so that I know to buy them!!

And does the curse of MACGYVER for your family extend to the reboot?

I thought I did post about it... Didn't I? It's been a pretty hectic summer. My brain is mush.

Anyway, book 2 is out. Book 3 will be out in November! smile

I'm not risking it with the McGyver reboot. But honestly, it doesn't look good, so I probably wouldn't bother anyway.

The fans have generally derided David Peckinpah for the movie ripoffs. But the truth is that David Peckinpah was totally right about SLIDERS in that David Peckinpah saw SLIDERS as a platform for stepping into different genres beyond alternate history.

The problem was execution in that Peckinpah became fixated on a single genre -- the monster movie -- and permitted substandard writing and production to run the show into the ground. Nobody complained when Dan Harmon went a similar route on COMMUNITY because Harmon was concerned with quality and viewer enjoyment and made his pastiches a loving postmodern homage to horror / espionage / survival action / space opera whereas Peckinpah's pastiches were lazy and witless imitations.

Peckinpah was merely wrong in practice, but his theory was very much in the right direction: he viewed SLIDERS as a multi-genre series that could be absolutely anything. Crime fiction. Romantic comedy. Westerns (he loved Westerns). Naval intrigue. Espionage. Mumblecore. Realtime. Reality TV. Game shows. Alien invasions. War movies. And monster movies. He just got stuck in the last one.

And that's part of why, in my own SLIDERS writing, I happily embrace concepts that I don't actually like all that much. I've tried to embrace every season of SLIDERS; Maggie Beckett was an awful character onscreen, but tap into her militaristic edge and contrast her with how she's a professional while the sliders are amateurs and you've really got something. The multiversal crisis scale of Season 4 can be rendered so long as its done with SLIDERS' trademark humour and absurdity. And the Season 3 monsters should be demonstrative of SLIDERS' limitless range and infinite versatility.

The only fundamentally unworkable concepts in SLIDERS, as far as I can tell, are (a) Colin Mallory (b) the Season 4 Kromaggs and (c) the idea that the vortex can only sustain four people.

I have another question for Informant.

I think that when writing "Slide Effects," I was extremely contemptuous of Seasons 3 - 5. I have tried to not do that with SLIDERS REBORN and gone to some lengths to be respectful. Rembrandt grumbles about the time he had to fight 2D beings and a radioactive worm. Arlo Higgins from "Please Press One" has a cameo as does Crowley from SUPERNATURAL (well, Jack from "Net Worth"). It's all played for laughs, but not in a mean way, I think. For example...

From off-camera, Laurel screams. The sliders rush over to her. Laurel points a trembling hand at a display case. Inside is the lifeless corpse of a man in his mid-twenties slumped against the glass.

WADE: "Deric?"
REMBRANDT: (peering at the case) "That's the psychic guy?"
WADE: "No, the other one! Man. He's looking good!"

Laurel looks ready to start crying.

LAUREL: "The guy's dead! He's been mounted like a trophy! He's -- "
WADE: "It's fine, he's a robot."

Laurel looks relieved.

I mean, that's not dismissive or contemptuous, right? I refer to episodes I hate in humourous way, but not in the sense of saying, "My god, that was so stupid!" but rather, "My goodness, we and the sliders have certainly seen a lot of crazy crap, haven't we?"

But... um, I'm concerned about Colin. The character of Colin has never sat well with me simply because I think Quinn works best as a loner, an isolated only child, and the Charlie O'Connell role may have made Jerry happy but did not serve Quinn at all. However, a reader, Christian T. Chung, suggested that I might address the Colin spy-plot and reveal that he was a Kromagg clone. At this point, Colin is so distant from SLIDERS REBORN's concerns that I couldn't see how it could in any way serve REBORN.

But then came a scene where Rembrandt is doing up the Sliders Incorporated boardroom and he puts up a portrait of Mallory, paying tribute to a comrade and friend who is sadly not with us anymore. It then occurred to me -- wouldn't Rembrandt want to put Colin's photograph up as well? But... I just didn't want Colin on the wall. I don't like him, Informant! I don't want him!!! I have accepted Maggie Beckett, Diana Davis, Mallory, the zombies, the mini-scoops and the pirates, but I don't want Colin Mallory!

REMBRANDT: "Could we get Colin up here too?"
QUINN: "Could we not? I'm still getting over finding out that he came out of a Kromagg cloning farm as one of fifteen replicants programmed to kill us."

I was thinking Quinn encountered that Kromagg cloning farm at some point during the 15 year time gap between "The Seer" and SLIDERS REBORN. But now that I've been expressing the importance of respect and courtesy -- isn't it kind of mean-spirited to bring up Colin just to write the bastard off? And also -- I don't put too much stock in actors, but I'm having trouble imagining Jerry O'Connell being prepared to say this line. I think he would refuse to perform it. Unless John were around to tell him to get his ego out of the way and that this is what he gets for bringing his talentless sibling into a leading role?

A part of me wonders if I can argue that Quinn's dialogue is simply reinforcing the original creative intention for Colin. But let's be honest, that line is there because I hate Colin so god damn much. But then shouldn't I just avoid referring to him at all? At the same time -- if Mallory's portrait is going on the wall, it raises the question of why Colin isn't there. Or do we just decide not to have Mallory's portrait at all? What would Informant do? What would Informant do?!?!

If you're accepting that everything on the show actually happened, suck it up and make it work. I hated a lot of what happened in the final season of Buffy and corrected it in my season 8. It took some work to explain some of that crap away, but it's what you do. You can't rewrite the past.

You could incorporate Collin in a somewhat vague and mysterious way, like have Remmy pause and think that someone is missing for a moment, and Quinn holding his breath, waiting to see if Remmy will remember... Then Remmy shakes it off and moves on.

The problem here is that you create a mystery that you don't intend to solve. You can keep Collin out of your master work, but it would probably require you to write a short story on the side that explains what happened there.

You really have to just give in and acknowledge Collin in your series. But you do get to decide how you go about doing that.

Well, Part 2, "Reunion," which you read, has Quinn going hysterical and shrieking, "I saw this world overrun with Kromaggs! They took my identity! They made me think I had a brother! They took Rembrandt's mustache, Professor! His mustache!" That's as much as I initially wanted to do until suddenly this scene with Rembrandt putting up photos of absent sliders came up.

And I guess, if I am to give in and properly acknowledge Colin, it'll be what I wrote above -- Quinn will have a line indicating that Marc Scott Zicree's plan to reveal Colin as a planted Kromagg clone was realized in the 15 year time gap between "The Seer" and "Reunion." It's either that or ignoring him.

There it is. Thanks, Informant!

From the thread on The Breeder
http://sliders.tv/bboard/post.php?tid=220&qid=4102

ireactions wrote:

Okay, now I seriously have to ask -- what exactly is your problem with SLIDERS REBORN's characterization of Quinn? For reasons I have yet to fathom, you took issue with Quinn in 2015 using sliding to discretely seed the Earth with technology like global wifi while also creating pipelines to rescue human trafficking victims, sneaking medicines into Red Cross supply storages and air-dropping condoms into Africa to fight the AIDS crisis.

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

I guess I just never saw Quinn as selfless as you do. smile   Now, I could see Wade pushing him in the direction of the work you described, if he was madly in love with her and wanted to please her.

ireactions wrote:

So let me get this straight -- the only way a wealthy and successful Quinn could possibly be convinced to engage in altruistic acts would be if sex were a motivating factor?

I said nothing about sex, only love wink Don't you ever dare speak about my theories like that again. *storms out of classroom*

Transmodiar wrote:

What the hell is happening here?

Just some fox executive - torme role playing, that's all. Ireactions wanted the Sliders Reborn showrunning experience to be as authentic as possible.

Transmodiar wrote:

Well, you fail - if for no other reason than you're both putting WAY too much thought into things. smile

It is oddly reminiscent of disagreements between John Rhys-Davies and Tracy Torme. John saw Arturo as a valiant, stalwart, heroic figure of revolutionary outrage -- he wanted Arturo to be the Doctor from DOCTOR WHO. In contrast, Torme saw Arturo as a working class bungler plodding his way through life with his education and body of knowledge obscuring an insecure and deeply troubled personality.

Strangely, RussianCabbieLotteryFan might have liked the alternate SLIDERS REBORN's version of Quinn. In the early stages, there was some discussion that REBORN might be set on an Earth where sliding wasn't discovered in 1994; Quinn then lost his passion for science. Cut to the present: everyone lives as they would had sliding never existed.

Quinn is a fortysomething tax accountant. Wade reviews smartphones for CNET. Rembrandt runs a coffee bar, but his only real joy is open mike nights when he performs. Arturo is writing study guides for lazy high school students. When Amanda Mallory dies, Quinn revisits his basement for the first time in years, finally realizes what he created 20 years ago, opens a vortex, accidentally drags the other three in with him, loses their home coordinates, and the adventure begins again.

In this version, Quinn most definitely would have been a normal person going about his life without much intention or hope of changing the world around him.

The disagreements over this project have been very interesting. Transmodiar's wish was that SLIDERS REBORN be something that NBCUniversal could and would conceivably fund and film if they were inclined to bring SLIDERS back and when you set aside his issues with plotting, characterization, screenwriting and dialogue, that's his main problem with REBORN, and it's a very reasonable one.

And I accept that; I'm more concerned with imagining it happening within the reality of SLIDERS than imagining it being filmed in our reality. I think the screenplay format can mislead slightly in giving the impression that I honestly think this would be the SLIDERS feature film series. I saw SLIDERS REBORN as being SLIDERS' equivalent of William Shatner's STAR TREK novels where he resurrected his dead character and ended up doing a nine-book series meant not for a general audience, but for people who like STAR TREK so much that they buy STAR TREK novels.

Maybe World Killer is the best example to look at. 

World Killer Quinn, like Sliders Reborn Quinn, made a massive error and worked tirelessly to fix it.  But, at some point, WK Quinn got discouraged and quit.  Season 4 (Canon in Sliders, not canon in Sliders Reborn) abandoned the correction of some of his mistakes (saving Earth Prime, rescuing Wade, etc) when he viewed those things to be out of his control.

I think we can say that Quinn is willing to do whatever it takes to fix a problem....presuming that it's a problem he thinks he can fix.  If it's a problem that becomes too frustrating, too difficult, or seemingly impossible, I think Quinn does have the capacity in him to quit.

I don't think that analysis helps either of your cases.

I don't know if you can say Season 4 isn't canon in REBORN when the story features Jack from "Net Worth," Amy from "The Chasm," Wade referring to the events of "Virtual Slide" in the fifth script, and there's also Arlo from Season 5's "Please Press One," Bryce from "Heavy Metal" and Marc LeBeau from "The Seer."

I guess REBORN's argument is that there are *two* versions of Season 4: the corrupted timeline version that we saw on TV and the original timeline version that had Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo enjoying a happier version of the Season 4 episodes.

Quinn's indifference to Wade's loss as seen makes no sense; so in the context of REBORN, what we were seeing was a corrupted version of the actual events and, in some cases, a version of events where Wade's absence was being awkwardly patched by Maggie Beckett as part of the multiversal scar tissue holding reality together after Geiger's cataclysm.

It's possible that within the corrupted timeline, the original timeline and contents exclusive to that timeline were held beyond a temporal event horizon. As a result, Quinn, within the corrupted timeline, would be incapable of observing the oddities until he reached the relative-present in which he was outside of reality and observing events through Mallory's consciousness.

Yeah, that's actually the way I saw it.  It was easier to say that "action hero Quinn" isn't necessarily the Quinn of Reborn.  So it would be unfair to characterize him that way.

However, I feel like my point still stands.  I agree with you that Quinn would very-much be interested in repairing his mistake (or doing his best to make it right) as depicted in Reborn.  But I also sorta agree with RC_LF that Quinn isn't all altruistic since he's shown to have given up on multiple occasions (World Killer being one of the more notable examples but not the only one by any means).

In "World Killer," Quinn-2 believed that he had killed everyone and in thinking that, he didn't believe there was any redemption for him or any way to set things right. When realizing that the Earth's population has merely been displaced, he regains his engagement (and also his arrogance).

As for REBORN -- "Revelation" reveals that the multiverse is dying and Quinn blames himself with his altruism in "Reunion" actually representing his overwhelming guilt, grief, shame and his coping mechanism, so I don't think he's exactly an uncomplicated do-gooder even in REBORN. RCLF actually didn't bother to read past Page 50 of "Reunion" so he missed all that.

Quinn's facade of relentless positivity in "Reunion" was based on his characterization in "Last Days" where even after his double's sliding machine fails, Quinn is convinced to do something positive with what time he has left and cook a meal with Wade and give some comfort to his friend and also "The Guardian" where he reacts to the inevitability of the Professor's death by mentoring his younger self. In "Reunion," he's decided to use what time he has left to make things better as best he can.

That said, for all his abilities, Quinn Mallory is still a slapdash incompetent, emotionally withdrawn, prone to improvising to disastrous effect, a messy dresser, something of a cowardly liar and his idea of a home is a facsimile of the basement in his mother's house, so while he is and ever shall be my childhood hero, he's pretty messed up.

On October 7, Allison Jean Spears tweeted: "Jerry O'connell has crossed me & i'm gonna talk bad about him at every show until he apologizes on Twitter. - @ingridmusic"

Jerry replied, "What did I do?"

I tweeted him, "OMG! Did you depart from a leading TV role and refuse to perform an exit story despite being available to do so?"

He liked my tweet.

For a while, I've been trying to think of something interesting to do with my SomplaceThatIsElse website. The problem is that I don't have a ton of time for things like fanfic these days...

But I had this idea that is interesting to me. I don't know if I have time, but I'm always watching shows or movies and thinking that there was a ton of potential in there, but the creators failed to deliver for whatever reason (Supergirl, Civil War, etc). So I was thinking that it would be fun to actually rewrite some of these projects and try to make them better. There could even be episodes of Sliders that sucked, but could have been reimagined into something good. Then there could be a poll to see if the "better" version was actually better than what was originally produced. And it wouldn't just be me writing this. I could open it up to other writers who think that they could do better than someone else.

It would be a fun little challenge/competition element to add into the fanfic world... but without prizes.

I don't know. It's just an idea. Like I said, I don't really have time to run such a thing. But it'd be fun to see if a bad TV show or movie could have been good in someone else's hands, or if those complaining are all talk.

I think it'd be a lot of fun to do that.  Chaser9 (I think) and I plotted an episode guide for an entire 7-season run of Voyager at some point.  I really like my alternate season 6 of Supernatural.

Would you be interested in such a thing, as a writer?

A dramatization. May not have actually happened.

ME: "So, I was thinking that after SLIDERS REBORN, I'll turn my attention to REDEARTH88."

TRANSMODIAR: "What is that, a video game?"

ME: "It's this unfinished web series about a video blogger who's unknowingly the center of a mysterious espionage operation involving two rogue spies. The fun thing about it is that the vlogger's videos tend to be very dramedy and romcom-esque while the spies' videos are a mix of paranoia and surveillance footage and intense action. I think maybe I could convert the existing vlog entries to blog format, then spin the story in a direction where -- "

TRANSMODIAR: "Stop."

ME: "I'm thinking one of the spies is actually an artificial intelligence developed by -- "

TRANSMODIAR: "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

ME: "What?"

TRANSMODIAR: "Jesus Christ! Would you take a good look at yourself? You are not god damn patron saint of every unfinished story ever shit out there and left to rot. You have wrapped up LONELYGIRL15. You have wrapped up SLIDERS. Now you're doing SLIDERS again -- like once wasn't enough! Stop writing fanfic, you moron. Finish this ridiculous twentieth anniversary special you roped me and Nigel Mitchell and whatshisname Informant into with your dumbass Status Updates thread -- and move the hell on. Why do you spend so much time and energy on writing you can't sell?"

ME: "I think you fail to understand the joy and pleasure of writing a pastiche, of recreating -- "

TRANSMODIAR: "You've done enough recreating! Isn't it time you actually created? SLIDERS REBORN was supposed to be three chapters, now it's six parts, four hundred fucking pages of script, that novella, the posters, that stupid social media campaign -- enough is enough. If you devote your writing skills to fanfic, I swear to God that I will start to hate you. I will have to hate you if you keep doing this."

A dramatization. May not have actually happened.

The upshot of what I want to communicate is this: please don't write ARROW and SUPERNATURAL fanfic. You two have done enough fanfic. If you must write ARROW fanfic, write an original series about a vigilante who throws knives as opposed to shooting arrows and make it so that he spent four years stranded in some insurmountable mountains or in the Arctic. If you must write SUPERNATURAL fanfic, write an original series about two college roommates who are forced to go on the run in Europe fighting cybernetic monsters.

Fanfic is fun, in that you don't have to think quite as much or take it quite as seriously. If I see an error in Buffy Season 8, I shrug and move on. In one of my books, it drives me insane. It is genuinely relaxing to write something that doesn't matter sometimes.

Fanfic could open doors in terms of building a following that could potentially follow you to your original work.

Fanfic is also good practice. I haven't written in screenplay format in years. Writing fanfic could help me get back to that.

Also, I have some really good ideas for Supergirl!

But right now, I have a book coming out in a few weeks, three more to edit and prep in that series, and a whole other book to edit and release after that (this one started out as a Supernatural idea, in a way. So I kinda took your advice!). So I don't know if I will ever have time to write just for the fun of it.

Which leaves my website in a coma. Maybe I can use it as a training facility for people who want to write. Starting with fanfic is a good strategy. I could be like Oliver Queen training newbies!

Thank you for having the courtesy to tone down my original language!

So, earlier, I was angsting about how I didn't want to deal with Colin or write for the character in any way, but his name came up naturally in a scripted conversation where it became necessary to dismiss his existence. But, because I don't want to be a jerk, I've decided that Quinn's Bay Area slide system in SLIDERS REBORN's finale will be named the Cyclotronic Optical Local Interdimensional Network, subtly indicating that while Quinn found out Colin wasn't really his brother at some point between 2000 and 2015, he still thinks of him now and then. God damn it.

You see, nobody ever told me not to take fan fiction too seriously and now I'm in too deep. Don't let this happen to you.

Wow....

I stole that from Steve Jobs and Aaron Sorkin.

STEVE: (to his daughter) "You know what Lisa stood for? The computer, the Lisa, you know what it stood for?"
LISA: "Local Integrated System Architecture."
STEVE: "It stood for Lisa. Colon. Invented Stupid Acronym. Of course it was named after you, are you daffy? Local Integrated System Architecture doesn’t even mean anything, of course it was named after you."
LISA: "Why did you say it wasn’t all those years? Why did you say you weren’t my father?"
STEVE: "Honey...I honestly don’t know. I know I didn’t want to be yoked to your mom  I’m poorly made."

It's one of the weird delusions I find myself facing. Whose feelings would I be hurting by excluding the Colin Mallory character? I dunno. But maybe there's one reader who for reasons beyond me really likes Charlie and Colin and is a little irritated to have Quinn disown Colin -- in which case maybe their hurt could be salved by knowing that Quinn named a computer system after his supposed brother. I mean, who cares? Even I don't care about Colin at all. But my indifference should not be SLIDERS' indifference. Except in saying that, I'm expressing the absurd and delusional claim that my fan fiction is a legitimate extension of the series.

You see what I mean? And you've both been here and come through. Don't go backwards, boys. Move forward and maybe I'll even catch up with you someday.

Hunnh. I never thought I'd say this -- but the new version of iOS works incredibly well on my older iPad Mini 2. I rarely update without ultimately reverting back to an earlier version as new versions of iOS tend to slow things down, and I only tolerated iOS 9 over 8 because I wanted swipe typing. But iOS 10 has shortened all the animations so the tablet actually feels smoother and quicker than before.

With Android, however, I'm still on Lollipop. There's been no stable post-L build for the Moto G 3rd Gen.

Windows 10's finally stablized into a usable OS after a long period of patches and updates. And it's still free, sort of, if you download the assistive technologies version.

I was going to update my S4 with a custom ROM. Unfortunately, it's boot locked, so I don't have that option.

Sigh. I'd love a new phone, but at leasty S4 is still working well after three years.

Maybe I can get a Note 7 for cheap!

I think possession of a Note 7 should see you identified as a suicide bomber at this point. My God, that's terrifying. That said, my dream phone would be a Samsung S5 and if you wanted to move on from your S4, you could probably find one unlocked and cheap off Amazon by now. 16GB of memory, terrific processor and RAM, great screen and the unit is waterproof! I'd snap one up except I have the Moto G 3rd Gen which I haven't destroyed because it's waterproof and I've protected it with tempered glass, and so long as this is working fine, I'll forego any upgrading.

My brother went swimming with his Note 2 a few months ago. He managed to fix it... but then went swimming with it again a couple of weeks later. It didn't survive that one.

He upgraded to a Note 4, which he found on eBay and he seems to really like it.

My two other brothers have an S6 and an S7. My sister in law has the S5, and my father has the S5 Active... I guess we are a Samsung family. So I've had a chance to look them over. Honestly, I loved the Note 7, when I saw it in the store. I think it is a bit poetic that the phone sunk because of the battery, since so many Samsung fans used to love their changeable batteries. It is a shame, because the phone itself is really, really nice.

If I ever do upgrade, I think I'm going to want some of the more recent features, like Samsung Pay. But I don't see myself being able to afford anything like that in the near future, so my S4 will do fine.

I did just set up wireless charging. It is really cool, except I wanted to use it on my nightstand, since my phone is my clock at night. The problem is, the phone stops charging when the battery is full. Then it drops down a percent or two, and starts charging again. When it does, a bright notification comes on the screen and the phone makes that sound that they make when you plug them in... And this continues until you just take the thing off the charger... Which would be fine, if I didn't have the screen on all night so that it could serve as a clock.

But wireless charging is cool during the day. ☺

I honestly don't know what to say about your notification light and battery-full sound effect. Does the Touchwiz ROM offer no way of customizing the notification lights or shutting down the sounds? All my suggestions would be through the Google version of Android letting you modify notification lights and sounds. I set my phone each night to silent until the next alarm that wakes me up. Maybe you should just get an alarm clock.

Wireless charging! The Moto G 3rd Gen can't do it. It's a neat idea. However, I must confess -- I don't really need it. I used to carry around a portable power bank around that could recharge my phone five times fully -- but I recently installed a 2.4 amp USB charger in my car and the forty minute drive from the office to home puts my phone from 80 to 100 halfway in.

One area where wireless charging would have been a great boon -- I have broken the charging ports on nearly all my devices at least once and had to get them repaired. Even now, my iPad Mini 2's charging port is a little loose and I imagine I'll need to call in Applecare soon.

My last laptop, the admittedly buggy and glitchy Asus Transformer T100 Chi, was laid to rest because the charging port broke and could not be fixed. I feel a bit more confident about the Surface 3 because the port looks to be carefully reinforced and the cable's designed to prevent pressure on one side or the other -- but even then, I bought the two-year repair plan.

Your brother seems keen on submerging his phones. To do it once seems like misfortune, but to do it twice seems like predetermined assault on his hardware. That said, it's really inexcusable that any phone in this day and age isn't water resistant. The Moto G 3rd Gen is designed for the impoverished or people who destroy phones so often they have no business spending more than $160 or so and it's waterproof. There's also really no excuse for phones without microSD slots, which is why the Google Pixel line of phones just exasperates me.

The iPad Mini 2's lack of a microSD slot irks me as well, but after every Android tablet in the city proved itself unreliable, I had nowhere else to go. Still, iOS tablets have something Android inexplicably doesn't -- you can hold the narrow-bezeled iPad with your fingers on the side of the screen and the device can distinguish prolonged touches on the side of the screen from actually tapping on it.

In contrast, if your fingers go on the sides of an Android tablet screen, it registers as a touch and you have to hold the tablet without letting your fingers so much as graze the front or you have to wrap one hand around its entire width. I'm astonished Google still hasn't sorted it out, but they seem to have pretty much given up on the Android tablet anyway.

Hey, there's a new build of Marshmallow that works great on my phone! I like the smoother animations. It looks like Google added extra frames. There's also a finally working function for merging your microSD storage with the internal memory which is quite handy on my phone which has a mere 4.53GB of free space once the OS and apps are installed.

On the subject of charging -- for the longest time, I was using a small power bank the size of two chocolate bars to top up my phone occasionally when in a desperate situation. However. Ever since I installed a high amperage USB charger in the car, I've been able to recharge my phone fully during even brief commutes. I gave away my power bank, but I found myself needing one again because my laptop is charged through a microUSB port. I was impressed to find that Aukey has a high amperage power bank that retails for about $17 on Amazon. They've gotten smaller, cheaper and more powerful than my old 2.1 amp power bank.

Hopefully, it won't explode or anything...

I recently replaced my S4's battery for the first time in the three years that I've had it. I took a good look at the old one and saw that it was beginning to bulge. That can't be good.

New battery lasts longer, depending on how much I am using my phone on any given day. This makes me extra upset that it would be difficult to replace the battery in the new phones. It simply isn't realistic to expect me to shell out $600+ every three years for a new phone. It was different when AT&T would give me a great deal with contract renewal. Those days are gone. Sigh.

Maybe I can find an S7 on eBay for super cheap smile

What are the features you want from an S7? The S7 is already missing one critical feature you say you want, a user-replaceable battery. Three years is about average for a battery. I don't expect my Moto G 3rd Gen to last more than two years, but it is an *extremely* inexpensive phone and I bought it open box from a man who met me outside a gas station to sell it to me, so it was even cheaper than that. There are probably decent and affordable phones now with all the features you want, made by companies whose products haven't been declared a terrorist threat.

I actually meant to write "Note 7"... which would have been funnier. Oh well, that joke failed.

I'm a fan of Samsung. This whole thing will pass. People are acting like batteries have never exploded before. It's happened to a lot of different phones, just not on as large a scale. I'm sure they'll be fine with the next generation. Cars are recalled for killing people and those companies never seem to go under.

I really don't need many new features, but if I ever felt a need to update, I'd want Samsung Pay. Which is better than most of the similar features in other phones. But that only started in the S6, and the S6 doesn't have the SD card slot. So the S7 would be the better choice.

I may want a Note though. Bigger, plus a stylus. That's cool. I really liked the Note 7, aside from the whole "blowing up" thing. But if that is a problem with the batteries and not the phones themselves, it's a real shame that they couldn't be easily swapped out with third party batteries.

So, I downloaded a screenplay writing app for my phone. Since I sometimes find myself going an hour or two at a time, unable to get real work done and running out of things to look up online, I figured that I would do some fun hobby writing that I don't have to think too much about.

I've been playing with the Supergirl character. Typing with thumbs is slow, so I haven't written much, but I have almost the whole teaser for my version of a pilot. The Krypton stuff. It's fun to write, because my brain is like interactive TV. I can see the show playing in my head and manipulate it. It's a fun way to shut out all of the other character voices that normally scream for attention.

I don't think I will post it on my website though.

What screenwriting app or program do you like to use?

On my computer, I use Final Draft. They don't appear to have an Android app though, so I'm trying one called DubScript on my phone. It is actually pretty easy to use. It does most of the formatting itself.

Of course, I don't know quite how to get some things done, so I may have to polish in Final Draft later.