51 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-07-07 15:33:17)

Re: Sliders: New DVDs with correct episode order (not blu-ray)

Grizzlor wrote:

upconverted that yourself?   the netflix quality looks awful.

Yea.  The netflix is putrid.  With good source files (like the pilot dvd), as ireactions has said in the past we can get a decent picture using software that algorithmically fakes HD. It fills in empty lines of resolution in going from SD to HD, deals with noise, colors, sharpness, etc.  I have a family member who has done this stuff before and did it for me with this material.

It looks tremendous on an 60 inch tv and was even able to get it looking pretty good projected at 150 inches (but it required my playing it using power dvd's own video enhancement setting).

To get an idea of what a bluray release from Mill Creek may look like, here is Airwolf a show with a similar life of being a mid season show with 3 seasons on broadcast(CBS), being retooled midway through, then spending its final season on cable(USA)with a mostly new cast...
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Airwolf-T … 67/#Review

I think the best way to imagine a SLIDERS blu-ray release from Mill Creek is to put your hands over your eyes and let the empty blackness of nothing fill your sight. It's not going to happen. However, AIRWOLF is interesting in that the 1080p transfer really achieves nothing; there just isn't enough detail in the image to make it worthwhile; I suspect SLIDERS would be about the same.

I am concerned to examine Mill Creek's site and see that they are storing 88 episodes on 15 discs. The previous complete DVD set had all the episodes on 22 discs; does this mean Mill Creek is compressing the video even more than the last release? It's possible the disc count is just preliminary, of course, given that Mill Creek's customer service reps couldn't answer a single question about the DVD.

54 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-07-07 18:58:14)

ireactions wrote:

I think the best way to imagine a SLIDERS blu-ray release from Mill Creek is to put your hands over your eyes and let the empty blackness of nothing fill your sight. It's not going to happen. However, AIRWOLF is interesting in that the 1080p transfer really achieves nothing; there just isn't enough detail in the image to make it worthwhile; I suspect SLIDERS would be about the same.

I am concerned to examine Mill Creek's site and see that they are storing 88 episodes on 15 discs. The previous complete DVD set had all the episodes on 22 discs; does this mean Mill Creek is compressing the video even more than the last release? It's possible the disc count is just preliminary, of course, given that Mill Creek's customer service reps couldn't answer a single question about the DVD.

I was worried about the disc count as well, and it might be a problem (discs cost money and this is a low-margin release for MC so every dollar counts).

However, assuming its dual layer DVDs, and the previous release was not, then it would be like having 30 discs vs. 22.  It will probably be dual layer with 6 episodes per disc, and potentially some extras on a disc with 4 episodes.

There was less speculation over the contents of the fourth and fifth seasons than there has over this cash-grab DVD re-release. tongue

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

These discs are a chance for a home video release to finally get it right with dual layer discs to avoid overcompression, episodes in the correct order, no missing episodes and without packaging so poorly designed that the only sensible response is to return it to NBCUniversal through their front window attached to a brick.

NBCUniversal should be ashamed of the DVD release they put out -- if they can't even put the episodes in the right order, why release it at all?

ireactions wrote:

These discs are a chance for a home video release to finally get it right with dual layer discs to avoid overcompression, episodes in the correct order, no missing episodes and without packaging so poorly designed that the only sensible response is to return it to NBCUniversal through their front window attached to a brick.

NBCUniversal should be ashamed of the DVD release they put out -- if they can't even put the episodes in the right order, why release it at all?

Are you referring to the complete series packaging, or the individual releases? I never got or even saw in person the complete series (with its price tag and lack of incentive to get, I didn't pay too much attention). The original releases were horrid (except season 4). Seasons 1&2 packaging with the floating discs in stirafoam for $80ish was awful- and when I thought it wouldn't get worse - double sided discs in a package where disc overlap for season 3. 4 was just right but 5 could've been better- putting Remmy as the main picture instead of Mallory on the cover, and having release dates for the episodes and an animated menu would've been nice.

What was the original complete series packaging like?

I only ever bought the Season 1 - 2 release and its absurd foam packaging was ridiculous, as was using single layer DVD discs. I read plenty of reviews of the Season 3 disc set which stacked the discs so you had to remove whatever discs were on top of the disc you actually wanted. And the double-siding! How is that acceptable in the twenty-first century? Seasons 4 - 5 were reportedly okay. But there's really no excuse for putting the episodes in airdate order in the original release, or for simply repackaging the existing DVDs at a ridiculously marked up price with all the flaws reiterated.

Anyone else notice TVShowsOnDVD 'some of them coming to blu-ray shows' that well they've all been recently announced to DVD-none to blu-ray.

I'm close to buying another DVD case for the upcoming set. If you take a look at the recent release of Mad About You from Mill Creek it doesn't bode well: https://www.amazon.com/review/reviews-l … B01CIS85YE

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

Jim_Hall wrote:

Anyone else notice TVShowsOnDVD 'some of them coming to blu-ray shows' that well they've all been recently announced to DVD-none to blu-ray.

I'm close to buying another DVD case for the upcoming set. If you take a look at the recent release of Mad About You from Mill Creek it doesn't bode well: https://www.amazon.com/review/reviews-l … B01CIS85YE

Are you suggesting that blu-rays are possibly on their way out? I never bought a blu-ray player of any kind (so never any blu-ray discs either). I figured, even if dvd's become obsolete for blu ray, they can still be played on a blu-ray player.

Hmm, that dvd case doesn't look very promising if they use a similar style. I store my seasons 1-3 Sliders discs in jewel cases due to the poor packaging design. If I would have to for the new series, that's certainly a major reason not to get them.

Jim_Hall wrote:

I thought miami vice and knight rider got bluray?

Not suggesting anything, just if you look at the list they provided they suggested some would come to blu and none have only DVD: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/22066

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

63 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-08-15 21:14:00)

In Germany, a distributor is releasing a Standard Definition of Sliders on Blu-Ray - so the complete series is packaged on just four discs.

The audio has an English option and it ships to the U.S.  It's also about the same price as the Mill Creek Entertainment DVD release.

https://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … derssli-21

It comes out in September, about a month before Mill Creek's release does.

I just can't see watching the show in the "proper order". Sure it's annoying seeing "Summer Of Love" not air after the Pilot but I prefer to have the DVD's in the order that I first saw the episodes in back in the Nineties.
I can barely accept "Invasion" as the season 2 finale (as it was intended) but to me "As Time Goes By" will always be the Season 2 finale.
The glaring problems with the airing order are most evident in the first two seasons.
"Double Cross" should have been Season 3 premiere but I can accept it where it is as Episode 2.

the rest of Season 3 just does not matter.  "Stoker" was aired before "This Slide of Paradise" though "Dinoslide" was intended in that spot and actually makes more logical sense but I'm okay with how this turned out. 

and of course there's the screw up involving that episode where Wade falls into the center of the earth and gets chased by circus freaks.

On one level, I think the idea of watching Season 1 in the wrong order for no reason whatsoever is absolutely baffling. On another, I did get a whole novella out of the wrong order, so sure. I wouldn't want SLIDERS to be immortalized this way, though.

KerrAvon wrote:

I just can't see watching the show in the "proper order". Sure it's annoying seeing "Summer Of Love" not air after the Pilot but I prefer to have the DVD's in the order that I first saw the episodes in back in the Nineties.
I can barely accept "Invasion" as the season 2 finale (as it was intended) but to me "As Time Goes By" will always be the Season 2 finale.
The glaring problems with the airing order are most evident in the first two seasons.
"Double Cross" should have been Season 3 premiere but I can accept it where it is as Episode 2.

the rest of Season 3 just does not matter.  "Stoker" was aired before "This Slide of Paradise" though "Dinoslide" was intended in that spot and actually makes more logical sense but I'm okay with how this turned out. 

and of course there's the screw up involving that episode where Wade falls into the center of the earth and gets chased by circus freaks.

I always suggest that to new viewer who's never seen the show watch Summer of Love after the 2 hour pilot.  After that, they can watch the episodes in the order they are presented on DVD/Netflix/etc. (it makes it simpler than giving them a crazy order (crazy compared to what it's always presented on DVD/Netflix/etc).

I also agree that As Time Goes By is a great episode as the season 2 ending.

So Stoker should air before Dinoslide? I don't recall hearing this before. What is the reason Stoker should air first? Of the 4 Neil Dickson episodes, I never thought that these 2 episodes mattered in the order of airing, as long as they were the 2 middle episodes.

I think it's just the production order that puts "Stoker" earlier. There is no reason "Stoker" needs to be seen before "Dinoslide," but there's also no reason see "Stoker" or "Dinoslide" at all. *shudders*

ireactions wrote:

I think it's just the production order that puts "Stoker" earlier. There is no reason "Stoker" needs to be seen before "Dinoslide," but there's also no reason see "Stoker" or "Dinoslide" at all. *shudders*

Oh ok.

I actually like Stoker. Good cast with 2 That 70s Show actors. Some decent alternate history (love the Joplin reference). Yeah it's got some "what the" moments, but it's entertaining. Decent use of Rickman in a small part.

Dinoslide is ok, I think it's important in the continuity of season 3, but is relatively boring in my opinion.

I do watch Stoker regularly during personal random Sliders episode viewings, Dinoslide not so much.

To me, "Stoker" is another exercise in mutilating a once-great science fiction series into an unprofessional abomination of hackwork and stupidity -- and I am dreading rewatching it. I have to, you see, to finish my final SLIDERS script. I'm putting it off for as long as humanly possible, but the script pages where I must describe the rock star vampires accurately comes closer and closer and I am terrified at the prospect of having to sit through this miserable insult to the intelligence that masquerades as a professional product.

I'm also going to have to rewatch "Dragonslide," "The Fire Within," "Paradise Lost," "The Last of Eden," "Sole Survivors," "The Breeder" and "This Slide of Paradise" and I honestly don't even know if I'll come out of this alive.

Season Three is the worst of Sliders

71 (edited by KerrAvon 2016-08-23 17:06:35)

pilight wrote:

Back in 1999 I actually thought that Season 4 was where the show "Jumped" but after rewatching the DVD's I actually found an appreciation for Season 4. It was at its best with just the three sliders. the first few Colin episodes were not that bad but by the end of the season it fell flat (with The Chasm and Roads Taken being the nadirs of the season)

That being said, I agree that Season 3 IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST. This was when the show  jumped the shark  right after "The Guardian" aired.  Sure there are some roses in this bed of thornes , Dead Man Sliding, Seasons Greedings but for the most part this season came down to a lame attempt to turn a cute quirky Sci fi series into The X Files (FOX's proudest ship in the FOX fleet)

KerrAvon wrote:
pilight wrote:

Back in 1999 I actually thought that Season 4 was where the show "Jumped" but after rewatching the DVD's I actually found an appreciation for Season 4. It was at its best with just the three sliders. the first few Colin episodes were not that bad but by the end of the season it fell flat (with The Chasm and Roads Taken being the nadirs of the season)

That being said, I agree that Season 3 IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST. This was when the show  jumped the shark  right after "The Guardian" aired.  Sure there are some roses in this bed of thornes , Dead Man Sliding, Seasons Greedings but for the most part this season came down to a lame attempt to turn a cute quirky Sci fi series into The X Files (FOX's proudest ship in the FOX fleet)

Totally agree.

These days, I find myself looking at Seasons 3 - 5 as a picture of David Peckinpah's addiction reignited after his teenaged son's death made him relapse after two decades of sobriety.

Season 3 is the cocaine high. Everything's mad and random and crazy and driven by one's basest impulses in any direction -- nightclubs and sex and explosions akin to riding the top of a supersonic train or high-excitement motorcycle chases -- but with an ugly, dehumanizing edge if you look closely where people and relationships don't matter, only the thrill of the drug. People who seem to be a buzzkill get dumped in the trash or blown up.

But then the high isn't enough and the addict wants  drugs that go even deeper into the psyche to feed the need for escape -- the miserable monster movies that were "The Breeder" and "Stoker" and "This Slide of Paradise" are a heroin injection, going into depressants that leave one in a state of euphoric bliss. But in truth, anyone sober looking at the heroin addict would see human body that's little more than a corpse that isn't dead yet.

Then we come to Season 4, where it's now all about combining heroin and cocaine into speedballs, resulting in more euphoria that is, however, socially vacant and emotionally dead; there's no real friendships or relationships through heroin and cocaine. The physicality of the bliss these drugs induce has no emotional love or care or fondness or compassion or heart behind it; the body may feel joyous, but the spirit is deadened and empty, much like Jerry O'Connell's performance.

And then we come to Season 5 -- the drugs aren't for pleasure anymore. The constant anesthetic use has created tolerance and painful withdrawal symptoms in their absence; injecting and inhaling has simply become the joyless routine of "The Great Work" and "Java Jive" and the isolating nature of the drugs has left Peckinpah bleak, adrift and alone, going through the motions without even the extremity that made Season 3 a compelling trainwreck. Season 5 is just filling out the time to get through 18 episodes. Then the show died and David Peckinaph had nowhere left to direct his grief aside from his veins. Shattered and alone, he plunged speedball after speedball into himself until his heart gave out. I have nothing but sympathy for the poor man. Peckinpah and SLIDERS on his watch are symptoms of a terrible disease.

I once pondered where bad TV producers go when they die. Temporal Flux says they go to development hell. Most SLIDERS fans say they burn in actual hell. Informant remarked that regardless of whether Peckinpah is in heaven or hell, what he left behind is many terrible hours of television. Those hours speak to how truly sad, lost and alone he must have been.

Anyway. My final SLIDERS script will be a tribute to David Peckinpah and the ideas he introduced into the show.

Mill Creek finally put up an episode listing for each disc on their website: http://www.millcreekent.com/sliders-the … eries.html. Sadly I believe the DVD case will be nothing other than a mockup of the Airwolf set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rel1RA0n4wo

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

The Complete Series DVD has been pushed back till October 11th 2016. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Slider … ries/22692.

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

If that is the case it will be better than The Shield or King of queens both complete series Mill Creek Releases those where a box that opened into to spindles of 20 dvds with a piece of cardboard holding them in place nothing between the disk, great deals both where in the 30 dollar range for the complete series, but you basically have to repackage them.

Not that Sliders has ever had a good package, outside of season 5, Season 1 and 2 floating dvd's, then my season 3 dvds double sided got scratched up

Well, the wonderful folks at Mill Creek decided to give us episodes half the file size of the old season 1 dvd.  It doesnt look half as bad but is a downgrade.

Of course, the price is fantastic.