Re: The X-Files

For anyone interested, looks like the X Files origins books are coming out soon.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/25/x- … y-excerpts

102 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-11-30 16:07:55)

Looks like negotiations for season 11 have hit a snag, and its not clear what may happen.
https://thexcastblog.wordpress.com/2016 … 11-glitch/

Sad, since both sides were originally pretty bullish on it.

Ugh.

First of all, the Fox network is not Fox News. The normal broadcast network has always been pretty liberal. When was the last time they had a conservative show?

I could see Gilliam Anderson giving up on America since she already lives elsewhere. But it is stupid to shun their job becUse they're throwing an election tantrum. I doubt that is the problem

I think k that the episode count is more likely the problem. But I don't see why they couldn't just focus on Mulder and Scully for eight episodes and a new team for eight episodes. Pass the baton. It's not like Mulder and Scully can do the... y'know... younger stories anymore.

I would wait for an official announcement of anything. It's not the first time Gillian Anderson's been misquoted or misunderstood regarding her willingness to return to the series. And given the huge ratings success of the revival, I can't see FOX giving up. Negotiations may stall, availability may delay production, but this is a situation where there's money to be made. If THE X-FILES isn't coming back, FOX and Chris Carter would at least explain why to the press and until they do that, we shouldn't doubt the series' return... even if some of us admittedly think the show was better off on permanent hiatus.

Gillian has been booking stuff like crazy, so I take this pretty seriously.

I would figure the sticking point is in fact the number of episodes.  FOX probably can't do much with just 6, but 13 is likely more amenable to their marketing team.  Can't imagine David or Gillian are all that thrilled about doing the show for that length of time though. 

Look they had to kind of "reset" the mythos, which they did, to some level of consternation.  That being said, I think they could have moved forward again.  To me this was not really the same show.  Same characters and actors, yes, but it wasn't the same.  I don't think it "injured" the legacy of the original run, not nearly as much as the later seasons or the 2nd movie did. 

I would also think that a new team could have come in and picked up the slack.  I assumed that was the plan when they hired Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose.

I like Amell and Ambrose, but it would be too distracting to have the new leads be clones of Mulder and Scully... unless they are revealed to actually be clones... that might be funny.

I have no problem with them bringing in new characters though. Hell, I didn't mind Doggett and Reyes. I just minded that they insisted on making Mulder and Scully the focus of the show, even after both of those actors had more or less left the series. The writers rejected Doggett and Reyes for no reason.

www.universityherald.com/articles/52808/20161201/x-files-season-11-news-mere-logistics-fix-carter-eyes.htm

Chris Carter says the show is coming back.

That's an older quote. At the time, it looked like things were in motion.

The site is just an SEO play.

Ah, sorry. Well, I stand by my position. There's too much money to throw away here. Negotiations may stall, actors may wander, but THE X-FILES is coming back unless Gillian responds to my tweet to tell me otherwise.

111 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-12-01 23:23:36)

ireactions wrote:

Ah, sorry. Well, I stand by my position. There's too much money to throw away here. Negotiations may stall, actors may wander, but THE X-FILES is coming back unless Gillian responds to my tweet to tell me otherwise.

I certainly hope cooler heads prevail, but at the very least, 2017 seems out of the question, and if we get a season 11, it's conceivable it wouldn't be until 2019.

Nice to hear it's still on track, and the delay is in fact Gillian's schedule.  Quite ironic that she's the one with the gigs now, and not David!

Grizzlor wrote:

Nice to hear it's still on track, and the delay is in fact Gillian's schedule. Quite ironic that she's the one with the gigs now, and not David!

Is that being reported anywhere? Because I'm not seeing anything.

If you're referring to something from those SEO sites that do long roundups on its status, that's not really legitimate, and is just old news. There are a number of them that come up when you search X-Files.

Grizzlor is mistaken, sadly. There is no news other than X-FILES scientific consultant Anne Simon reporting that negotiations have stalled.

However, that doesn't mean negotiations couldn't begin again at a later date. And, if nothing else, RussianCabbieLotteryfan has introduced me to the concept of search engine optimization sites and now I will know to dismiss them.

The real news here is that The X-Files had a scientific consultant.

Anne Simon, the scientific consultant, reported on Twitter that she's had a conversation with Chris Carter and she posted, "He is ADAMANT that #TheXfiles WON'T end on cliffhanger!There will be more.Keep the faith!"

So... no details, but Carter is still working on getting back on the air as soon as possible to exasperate Informant and prompt lengthy message board posts from me.

Yep. No x-files for a while.  Very nice.

I saw an article on Yahoo TV and the episode about the were-lizard was voted one of the top 20 TV episodes this season.
for anyone interested..

It seems to be taking on a more British approach... they'll do it, but when they're damn well ready. smile

And I'll probably get excited again, only to have my hopes dashed. If only we could take Chris Carter out of this discussion. Maybe he could retire to Hawaii or go fight climate change with Leo DiCaprio in the arctic... and they could take Matt Damon!

I love this idea!!!

The X-Files Reborn: An Alternate Vision of the 2016 Revival
I have been pondering what I would have done if handed THE X-FILES, a 2016 airdate, six episodes, a TV budget, the return of the original lead actors and nine seasons of unresolved plots building to an alien invasion that was supposed to happen 3 - 4 years previous. Chris Carter wanted to keep the myth-arc going. I think it'd have been better to just end the myth-arc, wrap up Colonization and deal with it in a single episode.

My solution: we start in 2016 with Mulder and Scully just as they were in the Revival: Mulder living alone, Scully a doctor, both of them amicably broken up. Earth doesn't seem to have been Colonized. In my version, Mulder and Scully meet up once a month for lunch. We join them for their latest meetup and they have a weird conversation where Scully talks about how she's so distant from the world of investigating aliens now that she forgets that she believes in them.

Mulder says that believing or disbelieving in them makes no difference anymore. We hint that SOMETHING happened on December 22, 2012 -- and this uninvaded Earth is the outcome.

Skinner calls. He needs help. There's been a series of brutal murders. The killer painted on the walls in the victims' blood, writing ALIEN CONSPIRATOR, HUMAN COLLABORATOR and TRAITOR. Mulder, an 'expert' in alien conspiracies, is rehired by the FBI to look into it and Mulder makes it a condition that Scully's rehired too. They begin investigating.

The victims are FEMA employees, bureaucrats at the Mount Weather military complex, people who worked in the Strughold Mining Company, the Galpex Corporation -- and Mulder realizes: all these people were part of the Syndicate's plan to pave the way for Colonization in 2012. The killer is targeting conspirators whom he hates for selling out the human race.

The killer takes a Strughold Mining office hostage and threatens to blow himself and the employees up unless the conspirators show themselves. Mulder is sent in to negotiate. He tells the killer: the lead conspirators are all dead now. The killer's been pointlessly targeting their support staff. The killer insists that Colonization must have started in 2012, covertly and secretly.

Mulder reveals the truth: Colonization almost started, but then there was a series of accidents involving the time machine from "Synchrony" and an incident related to the episode "4-D" involving several parallel universes colliding with this one.

The end result: planet Earth is out of sync with the aliens' plane of reality. Their spacetime warping invasion ships cannot travel to Earth anymore. Aliens can't touch our planet and we can't touch them. Colonization's cancelled.

The killer doesn't believe Mulder and triggers the countdown on his bomb vest; Mulder successfully overpowers him and locks the killer in a steel vault that contains the explosion and saves the hostages.

Mulder and Scully prepare to leave the FBI and return to their post-X-Files lives only to discover that in the 14 years since they left, there've been a sizable number of new cases with potential monsters of the week.

They realize that even without aliens, there's still plenty for the X-Files to do. And then we move the hell on and just do Monsters of the Week and never deal with god-damn aliens again.

Well. We can still do stories where humans find alien tech left behind on Earth during the days when Colonization was being planned. We can have some aliens who were stranded on Earth and do alien stories with them. But we move on from Colonization. We move on, god damn it!

I propose that we pretend that The X-Files Reborn be taken as X-Files canon within the Sliders board community. All in favor?

It is a good solution. Mulder not only speaks this person's language when it comes to aliens, but it could utilize Mulder's oft-forgotten skills as a criminal profiler. It calls for a distinction between someone who rightfully pursues the truth about a conspiracy that actually did exist, and someone who is so obsessed with this truth that they become the threat to themselves and others. Where does Mulder fit on that spectrum? Where does Scully?

And discovering that nobody has been pursuing the monsters of the week for that stretch of time opens the door for Mulder and Scully to recruit and train new X-Files team members.

I like it!

I think when the president is Donald Trump, not sure if they can write anything off the wall enough to be considered an "X-file."

Informant wrote:

I propose that we pretend that The X-Files Reborn be taken as X-Files canon within the Sliders board community. All in favor?

To be honest, I'd rather you canonized SLIDERS REBORN first.

Informant wrote:

It is a good solution. Mulder not only speaks this person's language when it comes to aliens, but it could utilize Mulder's oft-forgotten skills as a criminal profiler. It calls for a distinction between someone who rightfully pursues the truth about a conspiracy that actually did exist, and someone who is so obsessed with this truth that they become the threat to themselves and others. Where does Mulder fit on that spectrum? Where does Scully?

I didn't even think of that! I thought of the killer as representing the alien conspiracy: compelling and splashy but now incoherent, insane, outdated, obsessed with the past at the expense of the future, explosively unstable -- and for the good of THE X-FILES and everyone in it, the alien conspiracy plot is locked in a vault, isolated from anyone it might harm and left to blow itself up as we always knew it would, freeing THE X-FILES to focus on what actually matters.

But yes. All the elements you point out are indeed there. Albeit unintentionally.

ireactions wrote:

To be honest, I'd rather you canonized SLIDERS REBORN first.

Bah. Anyone could have written Sliders Reborn! The X-Files stuff is your greatest accomplishment! I really appreciate the effort that you put into it.

(I'm just going to duck and cover now)

I didn't really think of any characterization for the killer, although I do like yours. I think, also, the killer should have a dated, oversized Nokia dumbphone; a G-Shock wristwatch; cargo pants; a solid gray shirt under a blazer -- all these fashion trends of the 90s. And the killer should be holding that phone and wearing these clothes when Mulder throws him into a bank vault and lets him detonate himself.

I don't know if this is a good way to approach stories.

126 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2017-01-06 16:04:30)

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/remote- … 201953719/

Podcast with a fox exec. 15:38  Talks about unknown status of x-files.

http://tvline.com/2017/01/11/the-x-file … -episodes/

“A lot of conversations are going on. As you can imagine, these conversations are complex. We hope to be able to announce something shortly.” (The exec later confirmed that goal is to order more than Season 10’s six episodes but less than 22).

Good news. Thanks for posting.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/39475 … ew-project

This sounds like a better idea for season 11 than what we got.

I love that they are doing that. Makes the weight for a new season a bit easier.

An audio book?  Ehhhhhhhh.  At least a video game.

That's cool. I think the Veronica Mars novels were really good at continuing the story, so this could work.

But... I'm not sure why they're setting it when they're setting it. Since it's just voices, they could so easily go back and produce audio books or radio shows that are set during the original run, so they don't have to bend over backwards in order to include familiar (yet dead) characters.

Informant, Slider_Quinn21, RussianCabbie, Grizzlor -- I am mildly irked by your posts in this thread regarding the audiobooks. I spend a lot of time crafting my contributions to this Bboard, many of which were in this thread regarding the IDW published Season 10 - 11 comics. The audiobooks have been announced as adaptations of the SEASON 10 - 11 comics on which I wrote extensively. Despite this, none of you seem to know anything about them even though I've described them in lavish detail in previous posts in this thread.

I am fractionally upset to the point where I shall refuse to talk to any of you ever again for the next thirty seconds or so.

Alrighty then. So, the comic book SEASON 10 - 11 are being adapted into audio productions with the banner title of COLD CASES with the actual actors. This is both interesting and confusing in that the IDW comic books and the FOX revival are completely irreconcilable, yet the press release is presenting COLD CASES as set between I WANT TO BELIEVE and the Revival.

From a continuity standpoint, that's impossible. SEASON 10 had Mulder and Scully rejoining the FBI in 2013; the Revival had them rejoining in 2015 with no reference to an earlier and abortive return to the FBI. SEASON 10 had Mulder and Scully as a settled, permanent couple; the Revival shows them having broken up. SEASON 10 has Mulder and Scully discovering that William Mulder has gone missing and his foster parents have been murdered; the Revival has them believing William is safe. SEASON 10 has promoted Skinner to Deputy Director; the Revival has Skinner still an Assistant Director. SEASON 10 has Mulder and Scully reopening the X-Files in 2013; the Revival has Skinner saying nobody's been in the Basement since the show got cancelled.

The main discrepancy: SEASON 10 treats Colonization as genuine. The 2012 invasion doesn't seem to have happened, but the comics indicate that the invasion has been delayed due to different alien factions warring over who will dominate the Earth. The faceless rebels return; there's buried spaceships, the black oil makes a comeback.

Confirming the Colonization plot is also the revelation that all Syndicate members periodically had their memories and personalities copied into clone bodies to carry on their work should the originals be killed, and a mysterious figure creates a new Syndicate comprised clones of all the deceased members, including the Cigarette Smoking Man. This is impossible to fit with the Revival's reveal that Colonization was a hoax to distract from the Smoking Man's Spartan Virus endgame. In fact, when reading the comics, one gets the sense that the Revival is set in an alternate continuity and it's the comics that take place in the TV show's universe.

This sense that the Revival is not set in the same reality as the original TV show is further deepened in the SEASON 11 finale: Mulder and the mystery man, revealed to be a now adult Gibson Praise, confront each other in the desert. It's revealed that Gibson has distributed the alien-repelling magnetite mineral throughout the Earth, making the planet a decidedly inhospitable place for the Colonists. As a spaceship comes at Gibson's beckoning, reality is briefly ripped open and Mulder sees a glimpse of alternate universes -- and one glimpse shows Scully with her Revival hairstyle and Mulder in his "My Struggle" costume -- determinedly separating the continuity of the comics and the TV show as taking place on parallel tracks.

I really don't know how an adaptation of SEASON 10 and SEASON 11's comic books can serve as a middle chapter that bridges I WANT TO BELIEVE and the Revival. SEASONS 10 - 11 end by declaring themselves apocryphal and offering a gentle finale to the alien myth-arc. That said, audiobook director Dirk Maggs has a history of adapting what seems initially unadaptable. The HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE radio series had finished two seasons and ended on a cliffhanger where Arthur Dent discovers that his friend, Zaphod, had allowed Earth to be destroyed. Arthur stole Zaphod's ship and vowed revenge. The novels, however, had adopted the material from the radio show and then gone well past it with original material that didn't incorporate this revelation or cliffhanger. And then Maggs was hired to do a radio series that would adapt the latter books into the radio format despite the mismatch.

Maggs, clumsily but perhaps unavoidably, declared that the cliffhanger had been a bad dream. In addition, the fifth and final book of the series, MOSTLY HARMLESS, ended on another cliffhanger where most of the characters were killed off and the author died before he could finish it. Maggs adapted MOSTLY HARMLESS faithfully but with an additional end-scene where the characters were shown to have survived.

So, could Maggs do something similar and retrofit his adaptation of SEASON 10 and SEASON 11 for an in-continuity approach? I don't know, because the problem isn't really the comics; if anything, it's the TV Revival that's out of step with continuity. However, SEASON 11's final issue ended the storyline with a reality warping event caused by an alien spacecraft, so I guess Maggs could alter the story to have reality rewritten with the aliens retroactively having never existed and the stage cleared for the Revival storyline... ?

No, I'm familiar with the arcs that you wrote about. I'm just saying that it's odd to have the actors and the opportunity to go back and create some classic X-Files-era stories without a need to respect who is dead or explain what's been happening in everyone's lives. Yet, they chose to set it after the series anyway.

Yea, I was familiar with the existence of the comics (and some of the other X-Files media being put out). wink It's great to see Gillian and David voicing some of these stories.

I'm gonna blame my own idiocy.  I had no idea that the audiobook was the same as the comics, despite reading the summary of both.  I figured it was it's own thing.

I posted the link for ireactions primarily, since he's the one most likely to listen/enjoy the audiobook smile

And 10 is the magic number...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f … fox-996132

Yep!  Supposedly they may try to fit it into the fall, although I don't see that happening.

Hopefully the rush into production doesn't affect the quality.

If anyone had any sense at all, they would have been thinking about stories and scripts before the details were hammered out. Fox always wanted more. We all knew there would be more.

But really, they start filming this summer, when all of the other shows start filming. It isn't really rushed, it is just standard TV scheduling.

It would be nice if they aired it in the fall. It is a good Halloween type show. I just want Chris Carter to observe the writing from a safe distance. Bring back some old writers, but also add some all-star newbies. Bryan Fuller, Eric Kripke, and people like that. Some new writers who grew up with the show would be cool.

And I want mostly stand alone episodes!

Did anyone seriously believe this wasn't coming? I can't speak to the quality of the episodes coming (although them being largely standalone is guaranteed if Chris Carter is running the show), but as long as there is money to be made, THE X-FILES will return. This isn't like the Sci-Fi Channel's pathetic incompetence where they cancelled their own highest rated series.

I don't mind mythology episodes as long as there's thought behind them.  But, yeah, standalone episodes usually have more potential for fun because anything can happen.

I don't think Fox will rush them.  They're doing some revolutionary/bizarre things with their lineup.  They'll probably just air whenever they're done, bumping whatever was going to be on at the time (no matter what that is or where that show is in their airing schedule smile )

142 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2017-04-21 09:09:59)

My hunch is Gillian was holding out on $ and perhaps finally gave in. It took so long for them to get a deal done, and lo and behold they are filming this summer. It does not sound like a "scheduling" thing to me as had been the official word during negotiations.

Yea FOX definitely wanted to do it. With enough episodes and at the right costs.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. From December 2015 to April 2016, Gillian was filming The Fall (a series that she had a prior commitment to). Then she was signed onto American God, which started filming around the time that The Fall was finishing. I don't know how involved she is with American Gods, but her being committed at all would make it hard for them to schedule The X-Files.

So she has really been busy since they filmed the original revival, and since they didn't sign her or David to multi-year contracts right away, she really had no choice but to pursue other work while others worked out the X-Files details. I'm sure that she was negotiating for more money as well, but that goes hand in hand with her being a steadily-working actress.

Nice to hear.

Informant wrote:

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. From December 2015 to April 2016, Gillian was filming The Fall (a series that she had a prior commitment to). Then she was signed onto American God, which started filming around the time that The Fall was finishing. I don't know how involved she is with American Gods, but her being committed at all would make it hard for them to schedule The X-Files.

So she has really been busy since they filmed the original revival, and since they didn't sign her or David to multi-year contracts right away, she really had no choice but to pursue other work while others worked out the X-Files details. I'm sure that she was negotiating for more money as well, but that goes hand in hand with her being a steadily-working actress.

She was booked for The Fall and American Gods for a long, long time, and it still took all this extra time for them to finally reach an agreement on X-Files.