Re: Supernatural

I think they should put Castiel in Hell, not as a king, but as a warden. It's supposed to be a prison, after all. He's exiled from Heaven, but could still serve that purpose in Hell, doing work for God. It'd be a good way to go for him, and it would solve a lot of problems. Without Castiel, the rest of the angels really don't seem to care about Sam and Dean at this point.

Charlie... I'm okay with the idea of her *being* in Hell. But making her Queen of Hell would just be highlighting the problem with her character. Nothing she does can be taken seriously. She's hokey and lame and sucks the life out of episodes. She should never, ever return. If they brought her back and not Jo or Ellen, I'd be pissed.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Well, I wouldn't make her a regular character.  Just Queen of Hell and she only makes appearances if necessary.  Outside of that, she keeps demons off their case.

Fine. She can be Queen of Hell... As long as it is never shown on screen.

Or referenced.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Ha, I just think it'd be funny.

I'd still prefer that Heaven and Hell just get closed for whatever reason.  So no angels and demons.  But they've had plenty of times they could've done that and didn't.  So I'm guessing that's not part of the plan.

Who do you dislike more: Crowley or Felicity? smile

Felicity served a purpose at one point. She was light and fun and useful.

Charlie never added anything to Supernatural. She destroyed every episode that she was in. She couldn't even die without ripping off Jenny Calendar's death.

The British Men of Letters idea is still pretty cool to me.  The idea of a network of wards and sigils allowing them to track monsters before they do any damage is pretty sweet, but it sorta reminds me of how Europeans talk about (insert issue) working in their country and how the US could install their system to work better.

The problem is that England is the size of Alabama.  Warding "Every thoroughfare, every bridge, every dock, every airport" in England would've taken years.  It'd take decades in the US, even if they had an army of people doing it.  The British way is unquestionably the better way, but it's not exactly practical. 

I do really like the idea of a high-tech system tracking monsters before they do damage, though.  I'm curious to see how this is going to play out.  I'd love to see what the British MoL plan is.

The premiere was pretty solid. I like that it is human-based and not some vague CGI and the threat of an apocalypse. It is the result of everything thst the guys have done up to this point, which is neat. But I agree that the MoL method isn't as realistic in the US. They would have to have implemented it across Europe in order for that to make sense. I kinda doubt that it was as effective as it was made out to be. I wouldn't be surprised if the Men of Letters higher-ups have been infiltrated. Why else would they do nothing as the world came within seconds of being destroyed on several occasions?

Mary was well written too. She isn't just some kick-ass hunter, she is a complex character. A hunter, but with no love of the life. I could see her story going in a few different directions. I hope she doesn't get killed off. Maybe she could eventually even have another family  it gives the show a chance to expand the Winchester/Campbell family and have a character's life evolve. For some reason, it doesn't seem like they're allowed to do that with Sam and Dean.

I think I dislike Rowena as much as Info dislikes Crowley.  I was sorta hoping Lucifer would kill them both and we could move on.  I thought Rick Springfield did a decent job as Lucifer, though.

And I like that the UK Men of Letters seem to have weaponized the lore a bit better than the Winchesters have.  I think this could be a cool storyline if they do it correctly.  But I bet they make them into villains and show that the brothers' way is the better way.

Mary should open a bar! Like the old Harvelle roadhouse. Middle of nowhere, hanging with hunters without having to be one. I think it would fit her.

She has fit into the show really well. It is a shame that she isn't a regular. I hope we see more of her, without her dying. It's fine to just have her out there, like Jody Mills. She adds some really cool flavors to this mix. Not only are Sam and Dean dealing with Men of Letters vs. hunters, but they're dealing with old school hunting vs. modern hunting.

If I had to guess right now, I would say that the UK Men of Letters aren't as successful as they believe themselves to be. Maybe the organization itself has been taken over. Maybe by the UK Steins smile

Rowena... Y'know, she hasn't been as annoying lately. Maybe because she has actually served a purpose to the plot, or maybe because she isn't pure evil anymore. I certainly don't want her around all the time, but every once in a long while might not be too bad.

Did I really just say that?

Ooh, or Mary could partner up with Castiel. Heaven's Outcasts, coming 2018 to the CW!

Okay, so I got behind on the show last year, and just never had the time to catch up.  I refuse to pay for a DVR so that made it more difficult!  In any case, they put S11 on Netflix last month, and I've binged and caught up with it, as well as the first 6 episodes of S12. 

I really enjoyed S11, I felt like they had the right amount of humor but also danger for the "boys."  It was nice to once again have them compete as simply humans, without the specter of having to save one or the other from some kind of eternal doom.  Just the universe this time.  Rob Benedict was great again as Chuck, with Curtis Armstrong providing a terrific Metatrone.   It was also great to have Mark Pellegrino return as Lucifer!  The Bobby/Rufus episode was fantastic as well.  Ruth Connell and Mark Sheppard once again were great to watch as they bickered.  All credit to Misha for portraying Lucifer as well, did a great job.

Now obviously S12 seems to be centering on this potential fight with the British Men of Letters, as well as the return of Mary Winchester.  It will be interesting to see where it leads, but obviously the gravitas does not equal the previous year's.  One thing I will say is that Samantha Smith, who quite honestly has never done more than spot guest work in the past, has been really good in the character.  I mean, they kind of lucked out in that regard, in that they've brought her back several times to keep continuity.

I agree that Samantha is doing a great job. She fit into the show seamlessly, in a way that hasn't really happened, maybe since Jody was introduced. I hope they keep her around, even if she's not on all the time.

I'll say one thing, I myself have NEVER followed a live action series this long without getting sick of it and praying for mercy cancellation.  So they must be doing something right!

I actually thought the Lucifer storyline has been pretty good, and I thought Rick Springfield did a pretty good job in the role.  I liked that Lucifer is just emotionally distraught and doesn't have a master plan.  I think it's a pretty cool idea for a villain.

This season is still really good overall... but I hated the midseason finale. It had a lot of the same problems as season 7's Leviathan arc.

Supernatural is at its best when they keep it small and personal. The idea of Lucifer taking over the President sounds great when you throw it out there, but it completely falls apart in the execution. Where do you go with that character? What do you do with him? They don't have Washington DC to film in, so they're stuck in some random location. They don't know how to write the President or his staff, so they fumble around. The prayer scene was completely ridiculous. A President might say a prayer, but to have his entire staff kneel before him (and remember, this is normal, not a Lucifer thing) was absurd.

They didn't want to go too political. They didn't want to go too big and have him nuke Canada or something... Basically, they wanted him to be the President because it sounded cool on paper, but he might as well have been any random guy in a suit when it came to the actual story at hand. He's pretty much just another Dick Roman.

And then they had the regular characters bending over backwards to get to the cliffhanger points, regardless of whether or not it made any sense. Why did Sam and Dean stay behind in the motel when Castiel left? Just so they could get arrested.

Even the scene where the Secret Service guys stop Sam, Dean and Castiel on the street made no sense. On what grounds were they being stopped or arrested? Suspicion of driving a cool car? I know we like to think that the scary men in suits can disappear people whenever they want to, but it's not quite that simple. And the Secret Service guy didn't even seem bothered by any of this. He was acting like one of Crowley's demons in suits.

Angels in suits. Demons in suits. Leviathans in suits. Lucifer in a suit... the show does better when people are wearing jeans.

I like that Lucifer was dealt with. I'm not sure it made sense that they couldn't put him into the cage in his vessel, since Sam ended up there, once upon a time. But whatever. He's gone. Cool. The nephilim idea is cool, but I'm not really up for another quickly aging baby bad guy, so I don't really care if we never hear from that storyline ever again. I'd rather see the anti-Christ make a comeback. Where is that kid?

The one good part of the episode was when Crowley blew up Rowena's boyfriend. Who would have thought that Crowley and Rowena would be the best part of any episode?!

That episode was terrible, really painful to get through it.

So after idk 5 years on my HDD, I finally binged the full 22 eps of the Supernatural Anime from 2011!  It's essentially an quasi-alternate take on the first season, created in anime style for and by Japan.  Jared voiced all 22, and he was damn good.  Jensen only did the two-part finale, and he was okay, not great.  The previous actor was very good, but it was a different Dean he created.  Obvious ugh was that Bobby Singer was drawn as a bald, shaven, loud mouth New Yorker or something, while John Winchester, was unshaven, also bald, and pretty much a bad ass.  Strange.  The stories are written mainly by the CW SN team, and were all very strong.  Glad I finally got through them.

Supernatural will be back for a 13th season!

I expected it, but still glad to hear it.

I thought "Stuck in the Middle (With You)" was a really clever episode.  If they're going to end up fighting more yellow-eyed demons, that might be a pretty cool way to wrap up the season.

But what happened to the Colt?  According to the wikis, the gun was last used to try and kill Lucifer.  Did they just lose it after that?

Didn't Dean get knocked out when he tried to use the Colt on Lucifer, and it just disappeared after that? I haven't seen that episode in a long while.

I am curious to see how this plays out. Is Mary playing the MoL, or is she really working for them? They made a point of her reading John's journal, so she should have a firm grasp of what the Colt means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGqG0PAtkkg

Dean flies off, but there's never any indication of what happens to the gun.  And as far as I know, it hasn't been mentioned (in the present) since.  It was in the Old West episode, but that was in the past.

I guess Crowley grabbed it. smile

I guess so!  It's just weird that it's been gone so long, considering how important it was.  They had a way to make new bullets, and just because it couldn't kill Lucifer doesn't mean it couldn't kill a lot of other things smile

Did they ever say the four other beings that it couldn't kill?  I'm guessing the archangels...and God?

Let's see... My best guesses... God, Amara, archangels (which I will count Lucifer in with), Death... I'm not sure what the last one would be.

I thought the gun was useless without bullets?  And since when does it glow?  These British men of letters really are lame.  You have Ketch played by a Canadian with one of the worst fake British accents I've ever heard.  The Tarantino style of the episode was also lame.

My niece is a big SUPERNATURAL fan and for the last three years, every time I see her, I ask for no reason whatsoever, "By the way, did we ever find out what happened to the Colt?" until this constant refrain causes her to throw empty soda cans in my direction while shrieking, "For the last time, no!!!!"

She has expressed tremendous relief that this episode will now prevent me from asking her this question ever again.

Grizzlor wrote:

I thought the gun was useless without bullets?  And since when does it glow?  These British men of letters really are lame.  You have Ketch played by a Canadian with one of the worst fake British accents I've ever heard.  The Tarantino style of the episode was also lame.

I think the glowing was just another Tarantino reference (the briefcase that glowed).

The gun was useless without bullets, but after they used the last one (killing Yellow Eyes?), Ruby helped them make new ones.  They used it a handful of times with the new bullets until they tried it on Lucifer and it disappeared.

The Colt's disappearance was always confusing; Dean shoots Lucifer, it doesn't work, Lucifer throws Dean into a tree and then the Colt isn't seen again except in the past. I always wondered: if Dean dropped it, why didn't the boys go back to the field at some point after Lucifer left or was imprisoned and get the damned demon killing gun back? I imagine that a shot of Dean dropping the gun and failing to retrieve it was cut from the episode due to time constraints.

Two years after the Colt vanished in the fight with Lucifer, HarperCollins published BOBBY SINGER'S GUIDE TO HUNTING in which Bobby says Dean dropped the Colt in the field, everyone ran and no one looked back. But that didn't explain why they didn't go back for it later. This loose end was glaring and yet difficult to address beyond the showrunners feeling that the demon killing knife was sufficient and the Colt made things too easy.

Anyway. This new episode neatly resolves the issue: Dean dropped the Colt, and maybe the boys did go back for it, but Crowley beat them there and reclaimed the gun first.

I always assumed the Lucifer or one of his demons grabbed it. It just made sense, so it was never an issue for me. I assumed that it was at the bottom of an ocean somewhere.

The fact that Crowley grabbed it does make sense. It would make for great leverage in Hell.

I never really worried about it because it didn't work against Lucifer, and that's all that mattered at the time.  I don't think it was bad planning....I just think everyone (including Sam and Dean) didn't think it was important at the time.  It was essentially useless for the task at hand so they needed to find something else.

I think ireactions is 100% correct that the writers figured it was too easy to give the boys something that kills pretty much anything, and that's why it wasn't brought up again.

I thought it was really sloppy that the Colt, a critical magical object for five seasons, was forgotten with no fanfare and you can't even tell what happened to it onscreen and a media tie in had to establish that Dean dropped it. It's reappearance in the time travel episode was very nice but the boys not discussing its present day location was a glaring omission. There should have at least been one ADR line about how the field had been solo badly torn up by whatever ritual Lucifer enacted that the gun couldn't be found.

Yeah, it was definitely lazy and one of the few things about Kripke's run that a) Kripke didn't tie up neatly and b) other writing staffs didn't go back and tie up themselves.

I'm sure there's going to be a line about it once the boys find out it's back in the game, but it's gonna be a really late explanation.

The Colt is nothing compared to Adam! They have a brother in Lucifer's cage and they didn't even mention him when they got Lucifer out!

Between the demon knife and the angel blades, the Colt's ability to kill things hadn't really been missed much.

Yeah, the Adam stuff is just weird.  Now that Lucifer is out, is it just Michael and Adam trapped?  I know they say Michael has gone insane, but it's weird that God didn't show any concern for Michael either.  Especially when the "bad son" was already out of the cage.

I have a theory that Adam isn't in the cage. In my head, there is a story where the loss of Sam and Adam was eating away at Dean, causing Castiel to attempt to pull Sam out (only getting his body). Castiel's failure only drove Dean into more of a depression, so Castiel did some creative editing and made Dean forget Adam the same way he made Lisa forget Dean. This is why Dean only remembers Adam when he is dead (Appointment in Samarra) and neither Sam nor Dean seem to have any memory of Adam in "Fan Fiction").

Given the state of Sam's soul after a few (Earth) months in Hell, I'm not sure that there would be anything left of Adam to save at this point. However, if he died before he and Sam entered the cage (the way Jimmy died when Castiel was blown up), Adam might not be in the cage at all. Of course, Death made Dean choose between brothers. This would seem to indicate that Adam is down there.

But it's my imaginary story inside my head, so I get to decide that Death was just forcing Dean to make a choice to mess with him (or that Death didn't actually know that Adam wasn't in there, because he hadn't been to the cage since everyone was sent back there).

Regarding the Colt: I now wonder if the writers didn't even mean for the Colt to disappear the way it did. In "Abandon All Hope," Dean is still holding the Colt when Lucifer throws him into a tree, but when Sam goes to Dean's unconscious form, the gun is now under Dean's hand; he's not holding it anymore.

Then Dean regains consciousness and Castiel teleports them away. It's not clear if Dean picked up the gun again before Castiel took him away or not, which left it completely possible that the Colt was simply hidden away in Bobby's house, useless in the fight against Lucifer and therefore not on camera. The Colt could have reappeared at any point in the series in the boy's hands and that would have been fine. The writers seemed averse to even speaking of it, leaving it unclear if the boys even had it anymore until "Frontierland," a season later -- when the boys need to go to 1861 to kill a phoenix with the Colt and have to locate the Colt in 1861 -- which indicates that they don't know where the gun is in the present day.

Is it possible that the Colt wasn't meant to be lost, just unused and put away -- but unclear editing left that uncertain, then the long period of time it went unmentioned made it even more ambigous -- and then the writers conceived "Frontierland" which required the Colt be unavailable in the present day?

Well, my guess is that the Colt played it's purpose in Kripke's version of the show (killing everything it needed to kill), and when it couldn't kill Lucifer, it was discarded.  If you just watch seasons 1-5 (which, in Kripke's mind, is all there is), then it's not really even a plot hole.  Whether Bobby has it, Crowley has it, Dean has it, or it's still in that field....Sam is dead and Dean is no longer hunting.  Who has the Colt isn't important.

So there wasn't a shot of the Colt going missing or a mention of it because it no longer mattered in the 5-season arc that Kripke was telling.  And, as you said, the new writers either didn't know what to do with it, couldn't justify where it was supposed to be (since Kripke left no bread crumbs to follow) or just ignored it because it was too powerful.

I think it's a really interesting conversation.  Do we know if Kripke still follows the show?  I wonder if he's like Torme and doesn't really care anymore, or if he still watches as a fan.  I wonder where he'd think the Colt went.

Either way, it's cool that it's back.  And I wonder if they'll even worry about filling in the blanks.  Will they do a scene re-enacting the attack on Lucifer?  Or do we have all they're going to give us?

The impression that I've always gotten is that People is still part of the Supernatural family. A couple of years ago, he spoke about the chances of developing a spin-off and he was involved with that. And they make subtle references to him on the show. So I think he is still part of the Supernatural family, but I doubt that he plays a super active role. I think of the show as being like a comic book. Head writers come in and tell their story arc, and then hand it over. It is an interesting way to handle it.

It would be interesting if Kripke ever decided that he had another story to tell in the Supernatural world.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Well, my guess is that the Colt played it's purpose in Kripke's version of the show (killing everything it needed to kill), and when it couldn't kill Lucifer, it was discarded.  If you just watch seasons 1-5 (which, in Kripke's mind, is all there is), then it's not really even a plot hole.  Whether Bobby has it, Crowley has it, Dean has it, or it's still in that field....Sam is dead and Dean is no longer hunting.  Who has the Colt isn't important.

!!!!!!

That makes total sense. Now that you point this out, I didn't even begin my (ridiculous) habit of randomly asking my niece, "Say, whatever happened to the Colt?" until I got into Season 6. I didn't even think about it until about 5 - 6 episodes into Season 6. I'd forgotten in all this wondering that Season 5 had been conceived as the end.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Either way, it's cool that it's back.  And I wonder if they'll even worry about filling in the blanks.  Will they do a scene re-enacting the attack on Lucifer?  Or do we have all they're going to give us?

I think that Crowley having the Colt -- and having been the one who returned it to the boys before they lost it again -- neatly fills that gap, but I guess they could refilm that moment from Season 5. They did de-age Jensen Ackles once and they've got Mark Pellegrino.

Anyway. I think from now on, I will randomly ask my niece, "So, is Ben really Dean's son?" Hopefully, SUPERNATURAL won't take that away from me.

Two things:

1. They didn't really acknowledge it.  "Where did you get this?" became more about Ramiel than how it ended up with him.  I'm guessing we'll have to use our imaginations.  It's cool that it's back, although I'm also impressed that Sam was able to recite, from memory, how to make the bullets.  I didn't think it was an error....I think Sam probably would remember that.

2. Are we supposed to hate the British Men of Letters?  By the end of the episode, Sam comes around, but I kept thinking the whole time that the BMoL are *objectively* better at this than the Winchesters.  Whether or not that one lady tortured the boys or not, the operation itself seems like an amazing success.  I don't know if they're going for some sort of political angle (the whole "going after criminals" vs "going after terrorists" angle), but I honestly have considered the BMoL to be incredibly effective.  Even the whole bureaucracy thing, where they get really smart people who help the men on the field is efficient.

The only question I have is why it's taken so long for them to come over.  Especially since they can clearly spare the manpower.  It'd be cool if they were fighting their own version of the Darkness or Leviathans or whatever, and they just recently cleaned that up.  Because if they're this good and America was this "Wild West", why didn't they try and civilize the US earlier?

I know they'll probably end up evil or something will be terribly wrong with the way they do things.  If only because I don't think the show wants to be Sam and Dean: Agents of MoL.  But, for now, it's almost refreshing to see hunting done differently.

God the last episode was horrible.  The British MOL are simply awful.  Have the writers SEEN this series before?

Sorta funny Walking Dead reference in this week's episode.  Dean has a barbed-wire-covered baseball bat, and he says "Dad loved this thing."  John Winchester (Jeffrey Dean Morgan, obviously) is now on TWD and famously uses a barbed-wire-covered bat.

Secondary weird note - is it weird to anyone else that the Impala isn't more protected?  I'd think it'd be warded like crazy.  There's only a ward in the trunk, right?

Question - if a werewolf can be "cured" - why can't Castiel do that?

He wasn't contracted for that episode.

I just feel like if curing was even somewhat possible, it would've been mentioned before.  And would be an absolute gamechanger.

Apparently, it isn't a sure thing. Most people would die.

I wonder if she survived because she is a potential angel vessel. Do they have some extra resilience?

Maybe.  It's really weird that Castiel wasn't in the episode.  It would've been nice to have some heavenly insight - not to mention his connection to Claire.

I'm good with Castiel and Crowley appearing less, and people like Claire appearing more.

I agree with that.  This just seemed like a natural place for him to show up, and it was odd that he didn't.

As indicated in the Arrowverse thread, Supernatural stays on Thursday.

In other news, two-part finale tonight.  Or two-episode finale.  I don't know if they're connected or not.

Which means Supernatural vs Gotham.

Sigh. It's been a while since I had a real conflict! I will probably save Gotham for later, since there isn't a whole night of interesting programming on FOX there. Supernatural and Arrow work well together, though I'd swap timeslots if I were in charge. Supernatural is a darker show... Scooby-Doo episode notwithstanding.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/18/supernatura … r-episode/

Wow, that's quite the finale. 

Do we think (SPOILERS) and (SPOILERS) are going to stay (SPOILERS)?  And were you upset that (SPOILERS) so so unceremoniously (SPOILERS)?  I also liked  the surprise (SPOILERS) of (SPOILERS) in the (SPOILERS)?

In all seriousness, I thought it was really thrilling.  And in the penultimate one, I was shocked at how emotional Dean's talk with Mary was.

Still processing my thoughts since I just watched the final two episodes. Here's where I am so far...

Hour one -
I think they could have focused on the MoL story alone and made this the season finale. Having hunters assemble with Sam taking the leadership role was cool. Dean had some powerful scenes too. Overall, I think the Men of Letters story was strong and worked, but they need to learn the method by which Kripke worked within his budget. They try to go too big and fancy sometimes, like with the modern MoL base, and it ends up looking like a 1990's Sci-fi Channel set.
Solid hour.

Hour two -
Honestly, I could do without this whole arc. Lucifer shouldn't have come back. The baby story has been done already. The alternate world looked cheesy.
That said, the setup is really interesting. There is potential for a soft reboot now, since so many crutch characters are gone. I'm surprised that Rowena was killed off camera, but it worked.
I want these deaths to stick, but there were so many of them that it's all begging to be reset. Ideally, next season would have Sam and Dean find a way to save Mary, and then the show would move on. However, I worry that everything that happened in this episode will be a waste of time.

My brother suggested that Mary will interact with alternate versions of those dead characters next season, but I really hope that (like Hell and Purgatory) we don't spend very long in the alternate universe. Hell, I'd rather see Mary end up on the Flash than spend multiple episodes in that world.

Depending on how this goes, the episode was either a huge step forward, or a big waste of time.

Overall, it felt unpolished in parts. Some directing decisions were questionable. Not horrible, but this arc wasn't my favorite.

I was surprised about Rowena, if only because I thought she deserved an on-screen death.  I don't know if it was a scheduling issue or some sort of problem with the actress, but she'd become an important-enough character that it was a bit surprising that she was burned to a crisp off screen (the overkill of her death seemed a bit like the Arturo death in that way).

But if Crowley is dead, there's really no reason to bring her back either.

I do hope that some of these deaths stick, although I also fear that they're gonna bring all of them back.  I really liked Crowley's death.  He's always been a "bad" character that's usually leaned good, and I'm glad he finally realized that.  He's been an antagonist, but he's done about as much good as Castiel (and is just as likely to help, it seems).  To have him sacrifice himself to trap Lucifer is a pretty cool thing.

Cass' death was way too casual to stick.  I wouldn't have minded if the baby had been born (as a baby) and Castiel had left the show to take care of him.  I know they want to do the nephilim storyline, but that could've been something that was in the background.  If this is how Castiel dies, it was almost as unceremonious as Rowena's death.  And I'd leave Mary and Lucifer trapped in that other world, never to appear again.  She gets to be with Bobby, living kickass lives as full-time hunters.  I think that's, in a real weird way, a happy ending for her.

Leaving Mary wouldn't make sense to me. I don't see how Sam or Dean would ever stop looking for a way to get her back, just like they've done for each other a bunch of times. She's family... And not Adam.

On top of that I don't get why they would bring her back, set her up, and then just get rid of her. She is a solid character who opens a lot of doors.

Well, here's my thinking.

Getting her back risks getting Lucifer back.  I know she's family, but that's a huge risk bringing her back.  And, like I said, I feel like it's almost a happy ending for her.  She never really belonged, and she only felt comfortable hunting.  Now that's all she'll get to do.  Bobby seemed like he was at peace in that world (he never asks to come back with them), and I think she'd be the same way.  I agree that she'll probably come back (with Lucifer), and they probably needed a better goodbye if they were going to do things that way (where she chooses to go).  But if this is how it ends, it's probably the happiest of all the endings we got in that episode.

The happiest, maybe. If only because she is still alive. However, she is with Lucifer. How long does she last there?

I do wonder who exists and how, in that other world. Michael and Lucifer needed Sam and Dean in order to go through with their big apocalypse. So, what would their roles be on that other world? Still, I'm not sure that I want to be there long enough to find out.

I do think that Sam and Dean need to work endlessly to get Mary back though. The risk is no greater than when Sam was in the cage. It would be weird if they gave up. However, it doesn't necessarily need to happen in the premiere, since Samantha Smith isn't one of the leads.

Is it just me or did all these season-long plotlines -- Men of Letters, Lucifer's spawn, Mary's detachment -- just get resolved in a very rushed, anti-climactic way? There was no build-up, no rising action. A lot of troubling, random events followed by the hunters storming the Men of Letters installation and blowing it up. Tremendously rushed, anti-climactic deaths for two characters, one of whom didn't even appear onscreen. And before there was any time to absorb that, the nephilim is born and we only glimpse it before the season ends. This didn't feel like a season finale.

It did feel like there were two factions in the writers room - the Men of Letters team and the Nephilim team - each that wrote out full conclusions...and then the show decided to cut both in half and air them both.  It did feel like different seasons.