Topic: Sliders Doc

As much as I loved the 14 minute Sliders doc on the first/second season DVD, I've always wanted to see a more in depth documentary that would dive more into the behind the scenes workings of the show. It was drama after drama from what I remembered and maybe -- now that everyone has been distanced from the show for 17 years -- the people involved could possibly be open for in depth sit down interviews.

I've become a filmmaker and know my way around interview based video projects. I would love to get the ball rolling.

The only way I can think of is simply contacting those who still have a social media presence and go from there. Maybe hitting up some of the actors at a convention or something.

What are your thoughts? What are some questions we've been dying to know the answers to after all these years?

~SliderNum5

Re: Sliders Doc

I would love to see something like this. No idea what to ask that hasn't been discussed here already, but would love to hear all the actors' thoughts and stories (from all 5 seasons). Ideally the 8 main actors of course, but also the actors of the recurring and noteworthy characters- Neil Dickson, Lester Barrie, etc.

Transmodiar wrote:
Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I think we could get a kickstarter going and then hire a production studio to make it.  I don't know if people would be willing to pay for it, but it'd definitely be an interesting documentary, and I bet you could get most of the key players (except for RIP Peckinpah) to participate.

No offense, but you're living in a fantasy world if you think a crowdsourced Sliders documentary is possible. While everyone I know from the show is happy to bullshit about what they remember, they are also quick to admit that they remember next to nothing about the experience.

That, factored with Torme's illness, the spread of the crew to the four corners of the globe, and the cost of such an endeavor, makes it a pipe dream.

ireactions wrote:

Matt Hutaff -- crushing your dreams since 1995!

But clearly, the solution here is to set your sights lower to a more achievable project. The solution is to find an expert on SLIDERS. A figure whom we would all agree is the de-facto authority on the series -- and find some way to offer this person a sum of money -- a grant of sorts -- to fund him while he takes the time out of his life to write a book. An ebook. A behind the scenes tell-all of SLIDERS' production history. A writer friend of mine once described grants such as these as "grocery money" to keep himself while working on projects that had yet to be sold. We would need to offer this individual a grant in exchange for an agreed delivery date and distribution system and he would also need to receive all profits from the publication of the book because he was the one who spent all the time and money and effort hammering behind the scenes tidbits out of SLIDERS production staff and crew members.

But would he do it... ? I don't know. We all serve SLIDERS in our own way; some of us by talking about it, some of us by writing foolhardy 20th anniversary specials that only 23 people will read, and it is arguable that this fine fellow has done his work, put as much of it online as he's willing to and we should ask no more of him.

I would love to see this happen. Even a panel at a festival would be great.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

I agree with, well, myself. (Thank God we have Ib here to regurgitate everything I've ever said.) But at least you're not asking people to pitch in money. So for that, I'll add an addendum to earlier comments: just do an oral history. They're very popular now, it's easier to get ahold of people, and you can edit a book on all this nonsense far easier than construction a 100-minute doc.

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

6 (edited by Informant 2017-02-24 18:40:56)

It probably isn't possible, so I'm just putting this out there for the heck of it, but something like Chaos on the Bridge would be cool. It was a very well made documentary, complete with illustrations.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

7 (edited by SliderNum5 2017-03-01 22:00:33)

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread.

But yeah. I'm not setting my sights on making a doc for money. Honestly, there wouldn't be any money to get really. I'm just a Sliders fan with a lot of video equipment and the knowhow to get the job done.

I'm also going to be traveling around America (aimlessly) in the next month. My job doesn't need me in one location, so why not?

I will have all my equipment, so why not stop somewhere and interview someone involved in the series if they would be willing to talk? I know many of you have a lot of connections to various sources throughout the years.... so hey... look.... I'm willing to do this for free. I just need help.

I just thought it would be nice if someone (and I'm nominating myself) would be willing to sit down with as many people as possible involved with Sliders to talk about Sliders. We've heard/read a lot of in depth stuff here and there throughout the years, but I personally would like it all to be in one place. An "oral history" as Transmodiar said previously.

If anyone thinks this could be remotely possible, please email me at floopydoops@yahoo.com. Yes, thats my email. floopydoops@yahoo.com. Or just respond here.

Thanks!
~SliderNum5

I still live in a fantasy world.

I can certainly ask my contacts, but half of them live in Canada now. smile

I think someone here has Torme's current information; you may be able to get ahold of him. That would be cool, given his health.

10 (edited by SliderNum5 2017-03-02 16:00:04)

Obviously that would be super cool to have a sit down with Torme. I used to chat with him on AIM every now and then, but those days are long gone.

And it would be a great jump off point from there.

I'll just ask him for all of the cast members phone numbers afterwards, hah!

No, but seriously, I'm assuming he lives in LA and I'll be there in the beginning of April.

And hey, even if its just an hour of Torme on camera talking about Sliders, that'd be good enough for me. He seems like a super cool/honest guy that wouldn't hold back on his opinions on where the show went.

EDIT: And I was unaware of his health. Been a little out of the loop as of late. What's going on?

~SliderNum5

SliderNum5 wrote:

EDIT: And I was unaware of his health. Been a little out of the loop as of late. What's going on?
~SliderNum5

I've told you all I know. I saw Paul Jackson last summer and he mentioned that Tracy was sick but didn't elaborate.

If you can elaborate on your plans and general availability, I may be able to help. I don't know what I can do beyond making introductions or donating production materials, but you have more time right now to grind this out than I do, and I'm happy to help. smile

I'm tethered to the east coast until march 17th. After that I'm hitting the road.

I plan on staying with some friends in West Hollywood in the beginning of April and could possibly be there for that entire month.

So... basically... I could be available for torme interview any time in April if he's willing to have one.

Please let me know if this could actually happen!

I don't have his current contact information - someone else would need to set that up for you.

Didn't someone here interview Tracy not long ago?  He's ill?  Damn, not good!

I interviewed him back in 2009. It's been a while. smile

Transmodiar wrote:

I don't have his current contact information - someone else would need to set that up for you.

Alright thanks.

Anyone have any idea where we could get the hookup for Torme's current contact? They could ask for me if they are uncomfortable giving it out to me. Even if he declines, it would at least give me peace of mind that I tried.