501 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2017-02-01 15:17:45)

Re: Status Updates!

I've had pneumonia a couple times.  It's awful.  I've been wondering if I should get the pneumonia vaccine since I seem to be susceptible to it.  Although I have no idea what it'd be for since pneumonia is more of a situation than something specific.

A dramatization. May not have actually happened.

IREACTIONS: "A friend of mine said that now that all the first-tier shows have been revived, it's time for second-tier shows like SLIDERS to come back. I said that calling SLIDERS second-tier was an insult to every genuine second-tier show."

TRANSMODIAR: "Hahah!! SLIDERS would be lucky to make it to third-tier! And isn't it weird that people would rather bitch about politics on the Sliders.tv Bboard instead of talking about the massive find that's the 'Raging Quinn' script?"

IREACTIONS: "Isn't it weird that this glorified spec script of generic set pieces is what qualifies as a massive find in SLIDERS fandom?"

TRANSMODIAR: "Isn't it weird that people would rather talk about how shitty the DC superhero movies are rather than read an overelaborate and ridiculously overcomplicated six part series of SLIDERS screenplays?"

IREACTIONS: "Isn't it weird that the biggest fan of SLIDERS will never read that series and the other biggest fan of SLIDERS only read it when he was roped into editing it?"

TRANSMODIAR: "Isn't it weird that you don't even think of me when you're talking about the biggest fans of SLIDERS?"

IREACTIONS: "Isn't it weird that you're a public pariah in the very fandom that defines your online interaction?"

TRANSMODIAR: "Isn't it weird that you're seen as the village mental patient in the very fandom that defines your online interaction?"

IREACTIONS: "Isn't it weird that we're both Big Name Fans in TV show fandoms that nobody actually watches and you and I spend more time mocking the series than its worst critics?"

I will read the scripts when I can!!! I spend my days either writing or reading! My eyes get tired!

You should make an audiobook or radio show.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I've had pneumonia a couple times.  It's awful.  I've been wondering if I should get the pneumonia vaccine since I seem to be susceptible to it.  Although I have no idea what it'd be for since pneumonia is more of a situation than something specific.

This is my first experience with it.  It's bad, but I've had worse.

Going back to the question of whether the Sliders are superheroes, I recently started reading The Evolution of the Costumed Avenger: The 4,000-Year History of the Superhero by Jess Nevins.  It's a fascinating look into the history and antecedents of the modern comic book hero.  Nevins claims the defining characteristic of a hero to be a selfless mission.  I don't think that describes the Sliders, whose primary mission was always to get home.

Going back to my opinion that pilight is a jerk --

I find pilight's view of superheroes toxic in trying to police what a superhero is or isn't, primarily because pilight's views are in terms of defining what a superhero isn't, what a superhero shouldn't be, what a superhero can't be -- and pilight's view is that superheroes (and Sliders) should never be whatever ireactions thinks they are because pilight doesn't like me. pilight is regularly belittling my views despite the fact that pilight shares them.

Because, I dunno, I was critical of pilight's ideas for rebooting Sliders and thought it was absurd to pick up off of "The Seer." Shame on me for looking at stories from the perspective of the average TV viewer! One could argue that Sliders Reborn is then a hypocritical work, except Reborn was made for a diehard audience and the Redux was my pitch for a general audience revival.

When I rambled about how I thought the Season 3 monsters could be integrated into the Season 1 - 2 style of Sliders, pilight told me my ideas were too much like MacGyver, shouldn't be used for Reasons -- but when asked how pilight would use the Season 3 monsters, pilight laid out a proposal that was no different than mine, which means pilight's issue with my opinions is that they're my opinions.

And then there's the tactic of pilight's analysis -- it's wholly in terms of negative definition. Superheroes aren't this. Sliders isn't that. It's anti-creativity; pilight looks at something that exists and subtracts from it rather than adding to it. It's an argument style that isn't about exploring different points of view, but redrawing boundaries so that any opinions from people pilight doesn't like are outside what pilight deems acceptable.

The eliminative method for fiction is destructive. If a character having personal goals (like getting home) disqualifies them as a superhero, then characters who aren't superheroes include Spider-Man (he goes looking for crime to photograph himself doing it to sell the pictures and pay his rent), Iron Man (Stark Enterprises earns money), the X-Men (fighting to survive their own future genocide), the Flash (gets paid by local hospitals as part of an ambulance service), Green Lantern (toy salesman), Aquaman (trying to protect his home from water pollution), Green Arrow (Queen Industries earns money) -- which means that pilight's process of defining superheroes entirely in terms of which ones don't count is so flawed as to be worthless, useless and incompetent.

There is a futile foolishness to declaring that fictional characters should be reduced to selflessness or any one specific trait. Drama is about conflict and if characters are granted only a single characteristic, there are no opposing forces within the character, no contradictions, no points of view. It's a simplistic, clumsy concept of writing characters and stories presented by people who are only ever inclined to tear things down and have no ability (or interest) in building things up.

The only requirement of a superhero is that they have an ability that the characters around them don't. Even superpowers aren't necessary; Batman technically has none, and his power is represented through usually mundane aptitudes operating at peak performance. The sliders also have abilities and advantages in that they are visitors who can sidestep consequences of each world they leave behind, making them free to do things others can't.

The sliders have ideas and perspectives the characters around them lack, matched with the ability to cheat normal narrative rules in that they have experienced madness, horror and death, but the nature of the sliding concept means they can survive anything, even their actors being fired and their show being cancelled.

And, to wrap up the last time I will ever bother to directly address pilight unless I get some apology for all of the above:

• Defining characters in terms of what they aren't is a dead end for creativity and criticism.

• It is a route taken by people who attack other people's ideas because they have none of their own.

• Your means of reviewing fiction is toxic.

• Your approach to analyzing superheroes is ineptly idiotic.

• Your Sliders reboot ideas are terrible.

And also -- y'boring.

ireactions wrote:

IREACTIONS: "A friend of mine said that now that all the first-tier shows have been revived, it's time for second-tier shows like SLIDERS to come back. I said that calling SLIDERS second-tier was an insult to every genuine second-tier show."

TRANSMODIAR: "Hahah!! SLIDERS would be lucky to make it to third-tier! And isn't it weird that people would rather bitch about politics on the Sliders.tv Bboard instead of talking about the massive find that's the 'Raging Quinn' script?"

IREACTIONS: "Isn't it weird that this glorified spec script of generic set pieces is what qualifies as a massive find in SLIDERS fandom?"

TRANSMODIAR: "Isn't it weird that people would rather talk about how shitty the DC superhero movies are rather than read an overelaborate and ridiculously overcomplicated six part series of SLIDERS screenplays?"

IREACTIONS: "Isn't it weird that the biggest fan of SLIDERS will never read that series and the other biggest fan of SLIDERS only read it when he was roped into editing it?"

TRANSMODIAR: "Isn't it weird that you don't even think of me when you're talking about the biggest fans of SLIDERS?"

IREACTIONS: "Isn't it weird that you're a public pariah in the very fandom that defines your online interaction?"

TRANSMODIAR: "Isn't it weird that you're seen as the village mental patient in the very fandom that defines your online interaction?"

IREACTIONS: "Isn't it weird that we're both Big Name Fans in TV show fandoms that nobody actually watches and you and I spend more time mocking the series than its worst critics?"

I'd like to believe this happened.

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

It did happen. Albeit not in one conversation and not in those exact words. I said it was a dramatization, not that it was a complete fiction.

With regards to the cast of SLIDERS as superheroes (and without any interest in responding to the person who re-raised the subject):

There are two ways of portraying Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo that I like to present in writing them. The first is to present them as idiosyncratic dramedy characters, the cast of a quirky sitcom of life and death situations with highly distinctive voices and some truly crippling character flaws that make them hilarious, capable and intensely troubled -- so Quinn is both a hypercompetent scientist and a troubled shut-in whose only friend is his mother; Wade is a relentlessly practical problem solver who finds it easier to focus on other people's problems while ignoring her own needs; Rembrandt is a highly adept social engineer with a completely delusional self-image (either thinking of himself of a superstar when he's not or an inept civilian when he's not) and the Professor is a man of wisdom and intellect who is deeply insecure about his own competence and scientific skills. And when you play up the first halves of the characters, you can tap into their (somewhat mundane) superpowers, but if you want a more grounded story, you use the second halves.

And this leads into the second way of handling SLIDERS' cast: presenting them as iconic, legendary figures of infinite potential and limitless possibilities propelled by a boundless storytelling engine -- and the neat thing about SLIDERS is that they can be both those iconic characters and the shambling, clumsy human beings we met in the Pilot.

Temporal Flux, years ago, came up with a superhero story where a superhero character used vortex technology in order to lift heavy weights, instantly transport to different positions for combat purposes, to manipulate gravity for transport or propulsion or as a weapon. Sliding does have application as aggressive and defensive weaponry.

And finally, SLIDERS is an innately multi-genre series where you can plug the characters into any kind of story: legal drama, horror, romcom, espionage, space opera, a workplace dramedy, mumblecore, standup comedy -- I'd love a SLIDERS cookbook of recipes from alternate dimensions and a SLIDERS self-help book with chapters alternating between characters writing them. The superhero story is one of many genres the sliders could visit. Any story is conceivably a SLIDERS story.

I can be a bit obsessive compulsive about my gadgets. I put tempered glass on my smartphone and put a plastic case around it, thinnest I can find on eBay or Amazon. My tablet is sheathed in a matte anti-glare protector and a bumper case. My Surface 3 laptop is protected in the same way -- except the plastic shell case cracked in the upper right and left corners. Given that both corners cracked, I think it’s a design flaw in the case. There aren’t a lot of other Surface 3 case options. The kickstand’s hard to encase without impeding.

The only other case options for the Surface 3 besides this flawed design that’s prone to breaking is the full body skin -- a transparent and protective film that can protect devices from scratches (but not impact damage), is very expensive and after a few months, it starts to peel off at the edges which makes it kind of a ripoff.

Anyway. I bought a three dollar zipper sleeve for the laptop. It’ll protect it during travel. I imagine the laptop will start sustaining scuffs. I accept it. At least the screen’s protected.

Informant wrote:

The new Samsung Galaxy is coming out soon and I need to save money for one, because my S4 is slowing down. So that, and maybe some marketing for my books to reduce the stress level... Then I can promise to pretend to have fun for a while.

I cannot in good conscience support the purchase of Samsung's overpriced, overdesigned, overly incendiary products, and I say that as someone who bought the Samsung Galaxy S3 three times. There was a time when to get a decent Android phone, you had to spend $700 - $800 USD; that's simply not the case anymore.

You can get a 1080p, 5.5-inch Android phone with 16 GB of storage, microSD and a clean version of Android in the Motorola G4 for $180 off Amazon. (I'm using one now.) You can get a 5.7 inch LG Stylo 2 Plus or a Sony Xperia XA for $200. You can get a BLU Life One X2 Mini with 64GB of memory and a 5-inch screen for $180.

Once you're at 1080p, you can't really distinguish between that and higher resolutions on a phone sized screen, all these 'budget' phones have the gyroscope and compass sensors, so the only thing you get for all the extra money is Samsung Pay. Is that really worth it?

I'm a Samsung fan. I've had other brands, but found them incredibly frustrating. I finally stopped messing around with other brands when I had a Motorola and they released an update that wasn't stable and made the phone unusable... Then they stopped supporting the phone and wouldn't respond to customers who wanted their phone to be functional again.

I've had my S4 for about four years now, I think. Something like that. It is starting to get a bit slow and glitchy, but that could be because I'm constantly adding new technology, like watches and smart home  technology. Overall, the phone has lasted quite a while, despite not being kept in any sort of case unless my niece or nephew are around.

I want the S8. Yeah, I want Samsung Pay, but I could get that with a refurbed S6 or S7. I want the better camera. The new AI which is supposed to be really good (Alexa has spoiled me). I want the 6.2 inch screen of the S8 Plus, despite the smaller frame. I like the rumor that you'll be able to plug into a monitor and use  a the phone like an Android computer. I'm not saying that I will necessarily get an S8, but I want one. smile

I hate that providers have taken away the option of free or reduced-price upgrades, because cell phones are ridiculously expensive now. If I go for a cheaper option, it will probably just be an older Samsung.