Re: DC Superheroes in Film (Theatrical and Streaming)

The first Justice League poster released was a picture of Aquaman with the words "Unite the Seven" written on it. So... Who would be the seven?
Batman
Superman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
The Flash
Cyborg
???

People think it is Green Lantern, but I think Henry Cavill is teasing that a little hard if it's supposed to be a mystery.

Black Adam? Dwayne Johnson was cast a long time ago, for a movie that won't be coming out for a while. And they have a Black Adam, but no word on Captain Marvel himself. So... Maybe?

Or it could mean something else entirely, I suppose.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Well, the campaign is now "Unite the League" - I'm guessing there were alternate plans that fell through.  There's rumors that Green Lantern is gonna show up.  Could be Martian Manhunter since he's always been a part of the team, but there's been zero indication of that.

I'd say it's just going to be the six we've seen.

Maybe. But they're not even showing Superman at this point, so you never know! I just enjoy the anticipation. I really like having stuff to look forward to.

Joy. Fun. Happy! Excitement! Excessive positivity!

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

The new trailer is out.  Looks really fun!

I saw it. It looks great. The group dynamic looks really interesting. I like what they're doing with Aquaman. It looks fun, but not like a Saturday morning cartoon. The trailer reminded me that we could see entire armies of Amazons and Atlantians. That could be cool.

It's weird that we all know that Superman will be back, but they're making me very eager to see how and when that happens.

So far, so good.

Joss Whedon is going to direct a Batgirl movie.

Are any of these movies going to explain what horrible thing Bruce did to Dick and Barbara so that they didn't care at all that he went on a suicide mission to kill an invincible godlike hero? wink

This is pretty cool, though.  More Bat-Family!

547 (edited by Informant 2017-03-30 14:55:22)

I wish I could unknow this news. sad

I like Batgirl, but Joss is not the man for the job. Or any job.
He should stick to Marvel.

Informant wrote:

I wish I could unknow this news. sad

I like Batgirl, but Joss is not the man for the job. Or any job.
He should stick to Marvel.

Don't worry.  I'm sure it will be revealed that in her down time Barbara lives on a farm with her wife and two kids.

Close! Since she's based on the New 52, she will have a transgender roommate.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/39423 … -on-new-52

New Krypton series, on SyFy!

https://vimeo.com/213799000

The series obviously takes a lot of its design elements from Man of Steel, which is cool. I prefer it to the floating mystical crystal thing that people have been doing with Krypton for a long time. In terms of story, it reminds me a lot of Caprica. That's not a bad thing. I liked Caprica. I just hope that this is good. Syfy hasn't been knocking it out of the park since their rebranding.

How is he aware of his grandson's existence?  Will there be time travel?  Or is that just for marketing?

Probably just for marketing. Or maybe the series is in the database that Clark found, and his grandfather's voiceover is like Jor-El's image. Intelligent in some ways, but still a recording.

Yeah, I could see that.  I'm hoping they keep it at that....I don't think we need a 3rd version of Superman running at the same time smile

(Unless it's Tom Welling smile )

It would be cool to see Tom Welling show up on a DC show. Not as Clark (though he could be Earth 2 Clark... that'd be interesting), but as someone.

I've also always thought it'd be cool if he showed up on Supernatural, as a hunter. smile

In my head, I've written a Supernatural/Arrowverse crossover a half-dozen different ways.  It always takes place on Supernatural, though.  I think it'd be more fitting there....they've been to our world after all.  Or, at least, a meta version of it.

I can't decide which of the brothers would like a superhero world, though.

(I've taken us way off topic)

http://screenrant.com/justice-league-mo … an-return/

Interesting take on the DCEU Superman.

What's our thinking on the recent "is Wonder Woman getting promoted enough?" storyline in the media right now?  There's a fair share of DC hate, but it's also a bit weird that there hasn't been as much promotion yet.  I forget all the time that it's coming, despite being optimistic based on what we've seen.

At the same time, I also feel like Guardians of the Galaxy kinda snuck up on me.  I've only started seeing cross-promotions and TV spots recently.

Maybe the process is just different than it used to be?  I don't know.

I don't know. I do think people are looking for things to criticize. I've seen product tie-ins for the movies for a while now. The only things that I haven't really seen are internet ads and TV commercials. I have to wonder how useful those things would be two months before the movie is released. Now that we are a month out, I would expect to start seeing things.

But I really have no idea when those ads usually start. When it comes to TV ads,  after a while, you kinda forget about the movie, because it seems like it should have been released already.

There was a sneak peak during Gotham so they're still working on cross-promoting.  They must've heard us!

Interesting thought exercise.

What if Batman/Superman went a very different direction?  I know that's not a unique exercise, even here.  But I was thinking about it, and I think they could've done a story that's unique to both characters on film.  It's way different than what we got, but I think it plays with a bunch of the same themes.

Opening plays out the same way.  Batman sees what happened in Metropolis and is super angry.  Locates the kryptonite and attacks in the first act of the movie.  Clark has been working around the clock to save people, fix his image, etc, and he's caught completely off guard.  They fight for a bit and (insert comic technobabble/magic/whatever), something happens and both heroes are shot backwards.

Clark moves to continue the attack.  Batman steps back in a defensive manner.  Clark stays where he is.  Batman ends up in the middle of nowhere.  For whatever reason, Batman is now superhuman and Clark isn't.

So you have Clark Kent now what he's always wanted to be - normal.  Not only that, but he has this giant weight lifted off him - he's not responsible for everyone anymore.  He can't hear the screams anymore, and he doesn't feel obligated to try and save everyone.  He's still fascinated by what happened, but he has no idea who the Batman is.  He has no idea how the change happened.  He lets himself enjoy the moment - he goes back to work and goes back to Lois.

Bruce, meanwhile, is flipping out.  Now *he's* the alien?  He went up against the alien and won.  Not only did he remove the threat, but now the power is in *the right hands*.  And, yeah, he's struggling with controlling *any* of his powers, but he's Batman. He'll mediate and do tai chi and figure it out.

I just came up with this in the last few minutes so it's not refined, and I don't really have a 2nd/3rd act.  I'm sure Batman would lose control and mess something up when he was trying to fight crime.  And Clark would use his journalism skills to figure out what happened and who Batman is and work to get his powers back after he realizes Batman can't handle them.

But by the end of the movie, Batman would understand what Superman was all about.  He'd know that he's not some crazy alien - that he used his power responsibly and did it better than Batman ever could.  We'd get to see a human side of Clark because that's all there'd be.

And if you ended with Clark's sacrifice, I think it sets up the same way.  Clark's gone, and Batman feels this great pressure to honor him.  And he's had this great power, and now he has to assemble the Justice League because he *knows* he isn't enough to fight all the darkness.

I know that's the kind of movie that Hollywood wouldn't make, but I think it would've been a more natural sequel to Man of Steel (Clark, having accepted himself, now gets what he thought he always wanted) and gives us a different take on Batman who now understands where this part of his life needs to take him.

Not meant to be a criticism of BvS (I'm still in BvS jail) - just an idea I had all of the sudden this morning.

Reactions are out, and Wonder Woman seems to be well liked. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. On the one hand, people say the same about the Marvel movies which usually aren't great. And are they just saying this because they have to support the female superhero?

On the other hand, the movie looks legitimately good. It could just be that this character doesn't already have a dozen other films and series by which the audience will compare her. She could be benefiting from the "fresh" element that drives people to like the Marvel movies.

Either way, I can't wait to see the movie... Figuratively speaking. I will wait a little while to see it, because theaters full of annoying teenagers on summer break drive me nuts. When did parents stop teaching their kids basic theater etiquette?

Whoa....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v … dy-1006455

Terrible news for Snyder....who I've been hard on.  Just awful news for him and his family.

First, I want to say that this is incredibly sad news for the Snyder family. I can't even imagine what they must be going through, and I hope that I am never able to grasp that level of pain. It's truly horrible.

Second, to address the movie... as Snyder said, it's just a movie. I already see people making little comments here and there about the situation, and it's disgusting how people could use his pain as a way of trolling him.

I don't like Joss Whedon. I don't think that he fits with this franchise. I believe that it's beyond his abilities. I think that he is full of himself. However, I get why they chose him. Despite the spin that many articles are putting on this, Joss won't be "fixing" the movie or making it his own. He will be following a map that was created by Snyder, and will be shooting a few scenes that Snyder wanted added. This is still Snyder's movie. Joss Whedon was most likely chosen because he is already working with DC/Warner Bros. and has been through the process of discussing the overall franchise direction. They need a director quickly, to film a few scenes. There is hardly the time nor the cause to go through a lengthy interview process. Jenkins is probably focused on the release of Wonder Woman, Wan is filming Aquaman, and Whedon was available. He got this job because he was there, and that's fine.

If he does try to make this movie his own in some way, it will be the end of him. This is a job where he is essentially helping out during a hard time, not building his resume.

I agree.  My only fear is that this was already a movie that was a little out of scope.  The tone is already much different from the tone of Batman v Superman, and I assume that wasn't part of Snyder's original plan.  So we might have a movie that's:

Part Snyder-Doing-The-Studio's-Vision
Part Snyder-Doing-His-Own-Vision
Part Whedon-Doing-Snyder's-Or-The-Studio's-Vision

I'm hoping that I'm wrong....that Snyder was always planning on making things lighter and brighter.  That Whedon can seemlessly do things the same way Snyder was going to do it.  The Justice League trailer looked good.  I'm hoping it stays on the track it was on.  I'd really love this movie to be great smile

Justice League was always supposed to be a different tone than BvS. BvS represents a low point for characters, and a lot of desperation. The end of that movie was about finding hope and purpose for Bruce.

I think a lot of people around the internet have been writing fanfic about some behind the scenes drama, and calling it reality. There have been stories about struggling and so many reshoots that the movie has essentially been remade twice, and none of these things have any foundation in reality.

Hey, Supernatural is over for the year. The Flash and Arrow have their finales this week. You know what this means?!

A bunch of free time that can be put toward watching BvS (the extended version) again!

The people that are using this tragedy to make fun of Zach Snyder are horrible.  Movies are movies.  Life is life.  Whether he's succeeded or not, this guy has poured his life into these movies.  He wants them to be great, and he wants everyone to love them.  And now he's really, really hurting.  This is a time when everyone needs to be wishing him well, not continuing to tear him down.

Informant wrote:

A bunch of free time that can be put toward watching BvS (the extended version) again!

It's actually first on my list of things to do!  I'm going to go from 13 active weekly shows to 6 after this week.  I'm moving this weekend, but then I should have more time.

It's going to be weird to suddenly not have a million shows to watch. I'm going to have to learn how to knit or something. smile

Sigh. Alamo Drafthouse has scheduled a women-only screening of Wonder Woman. This is stupid on so many levels and for so many reasons.

We're trying to show that a female superhero can be as appealing as a male superhero for everyone, so making her "for women" kinda defeats the purpose.

Discrimination is going to be bad for business. Unless this becomes that theater's "thing". Women only, men only, white only, black only, etc. Maybe safe-zone screenings can be their schtick.

This is just one theater, and has nothing to do with the studio. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be allowed to do it, but it is a stupid move.

Oh, what a shame that there's a space where white men aren't welcome in a world that's almost exclusively for them.

Show me one place that's exclusively for white men. Seriously, one. Just one. And it has to be one that's actually accepted by society, because the KKK headquarters is obviously a different thing.

I'm so tired of this "white men get to do whatever they want and get away with it" crap, because it is crap. We're all supposed to play along with that narrative, just to make other people feel better about themselves, but it's getting old. That said, politically speaking, I fully support the theater's right to have a women only event. I think they should be able to hold whatever events they want, whether or not they offend whatever group they're excluding. Personally, I'm over this giant game of Offense Bingo that everyone is playing. It's reached a point where, in some cases, people are literally dying because people are afraid of offending the people who are murdering them. It's insane.

Sorry. Mini rant. It's been a long week.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about this subject in political terms. I was talking about it in business terms. When you start deliberately excluding groups from your business, for whatever reason, you run the risk of damaging your profits. This is exactly why we don't need laws demanding that bakeries make wedding cakes for gay couples. Because the gay couple will just go give another baker their money and give a bad review to the shop that wouldn't make their cake. That will potentially cost that bakery money in the long run, even from straight couples.

It's the circle of business life.

I know! Informant really suffers the most of all marginalized groups in all the world, constantly having to deal with the absurd notion that people who aren't Caucasian and male are systemically and institutionally mistreated. We really must have a greater understanding of his white people burdens and how much it weighs on him heavily that there could be a women-only screening for a largely male dominated genre and, of course, his financial calculations of the economic fallout implicit in having a movie screening for women.

Sometimes I wonder if you even read what I type.

I'll make this bold, so it will catch your eye and maybe you'll actually read it... I don't care if they have a women-only screening.
Or a black only screening. Or a white only screening. Or a Black Lives Matter only screening. Or a white straight male only screening. I'm saying that it's bad for business, and works against what the film's creators are trying to accomplish in the first place.

You want to know the crazy truth about the world? Everyone suffers. Everyone is discriminated against. Everyone is judged the minute they walk through the door. Just look at your posts about me, making countless assumptions about what you think my life must be like, without actually knowing (or caring to know, really) any facts about the claims you're making. One might even call that... racial/gender profiling? Want to throw in my religion and sexual orientation, just to cover all of our bases? God, my life is easy. Ain't nobody ever had it easier than this guy right here.

Systemic and institutional mistreatment? Such as?

(should we move this to the political thread? Because I feel like we're about to start talking about police shootings, the wage gap and marriage equality. Also, I might press you a little bit on that whole "name one place that's just for white men" subject, because you totally avoided it)

And can I just say how cool it is that we're both being incredibly sarcastic with each other here and it's fine, while that same sarcasm would result in a total meltdown pretty much anywhere else on the internet? smile

I agree. I don't really see movies in theatres much anymore, but I think I will make an exception for WONDER WOMAN specifically for the purposes of talking about on this board.

I'm getting to see Wonder Woman for free (advanced screening) so it's win-win for me! smile

Breaking news: Alamo Drafthouse realizes their mistake in having a single screening of WONDER WOMAN for women and only women. They have come to appreciate that they made a terrible strategic error and have amended it. They're having MORE women only screenings!!! :-D

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 … ening.html

I want a free advanced screening!!! No fair!!!

I really don't go to the theater much either. I used to go to some of the Marvel stuff, usually when one of my brothers was in town. But they're just not worth the time or money anymore. The DC movies have me excited enough to see them in the theaters though, and then I watch the longer versions five more times when they come out on blu-ray.

ireactions wrote:

Breaking news: Alamo Drafthouse realizes their mistake in having a single screening of WONDER WOMAN for women and only women. They have come to appreciate that they made a terrible strategic error and have amended it. They're having MORE women only screenings!!! :-D

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 … ening.html

I wish them the best of luck with this strategy. It would have been funny if they'd scheduled some men-only screenings as a response, but this seem like doubling down on a political battle that nobody really asked them to fight.

All of their crap is overpriced, so I've never gone to their theaters anyway.

The funny part is that a lot of men have purchased tickets to these women-only screenings, and it may be against the law in some states to keep them out based on gender. So this is more publicity than a realistic women-only screening.

Of course, the screenings are raising money for soulless, corrupt organizations, so the other side still gets to laugh too.

I've been to Alamo, and I HATE IT!  The whole dinner theater thing sucks if you ask me.  People eating smelly, messy food during the film!

Anyway, saw the WW trailer prior to Guardians and Alien over the weekend, and frankly it looks damn good.

Yeah, the sounds of people eating makes me want to shoot myself (I think this is an actual condition with a name, but I forget it), so I don't need more of that in a movie theater. smile

The reviews for WW have been great so far... but all of those reviews also go on about how the other DC movies sucked, so I can't really put much faith in those reviews. Wonder Woman doesn't have the baggage that Batman and Superman have with audiences, and she is an overall happier character, so maybe the movie just has a better chance of pleasing everyone.

Informant wrote:

Yeah, the sounds of people eating makes me want to shoot myself (I think this is an actual condition with a name, but I forget it), so I don't need more of that in a movie theater. smile

I've been to Studio Movie Grill way more than Alamo, but it really doesn't bother me.  I have a friend who refuses to go to those places because of the distractions, but I don't really even notice the other people.  Sometimes the smell of food is a little distracting, but I usually like killing two birds with one stone and getting dinner while I'm watching a movie (instead of one, then the other).

I usually don't go for a movie that I'm excited about seeing or want to pay attention to everything (say, an Interstellar), but for something like Guardians or Wonder Woman....it's fine.  I probably won't be missing anything crucial if I look over to see the server for a second ha.

To me, WW looked good because, at least from the trailer, it seemed to have a story with good character interaction.  Again I liked Man of Steel, but Dark Knight Rises and BVS and Suicide Squad I felt were all very muddy.

I don't have a lot to say about it, but Wonder Woman is great.  It's everything that DC movies need to be....fun and fantastical but still grounded.  Diana comes off as a character who is both insanely powerful but also very real.  In my opinion, it's easily the best of the four DC films, and if they can capture this tone with Justice League then it's going to be a huge success (critically and financially).

I'm also very interested in another Wonder Woman solo film set between this movie and BvS.  I wasn't sure what to make of Gal Gadot before this, and while Chris Pine does a decent amount of heavy lifting in this movie, she's great in the role.

Check it out for sure.

I'm looking forward to it. I find it funny to see people and ads going on about how it's certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Didn't we already decide not to pay attention to that site? I mean, the last Ghostbusters movie was certified fresh too! smile

Of course since I don't have much bad to say about it, you'll probably hate it wink

Probably.

I'm having a hard time with a lot of the reviews, because they talk about lack of coherent plots or characters in the other movies, which immediately makes the review useless.

Just tell me, does it have more to offer than the crap that Marvel's been putting out lately? Doctor Strange and Civil War were horrible.

Well, it's hard for me to say because I liked those movies.  Plot incoherence doesn't typically bother me as much as character incoherence.  And I tend to give Marvel movies a pass because I feel like they know what they are.  DC movies, for the most part, want to take things more seriously (and, in turn, I take them more seriously).  Iron Man's character arc can be more fluid than Bruce Wayne because Iron Man doesn't take things seriously so why should I?

I do think they kept this one simpler than BvS and Suicide Squad.  There are a couple of detours along the way, but it's a fairly one-track plot.  Diana has a goal and works to achieve it.  I think, at parts, it becomes the "Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor" movie, but by the end, you know who the hero is.  The rest of the characters are pretty weak, but it doesn't really matter to me.

I did read a review that talked about how similar the movie is to Captain America: the First Avenger.  And I do think that the second half of both movies are somewhat similar....star-spangly dressed person with opposite sex military liaison goes across a warzone with a band of forgettable mercenaries to stop a German army with a supernatural leader.  I liked Wonder Woman better than First Avenger, if only because I think First Avenger might be one of the 2 or 3 worst MCU films, but I can see it.  Part of the film does feel like it wants to be set in WWII instead of WWI, but it doesn't really hurt anything.  To be fair, I also don't think the movie really takes advantage of the WWI time period...which could've made the movie even more special.

As we've had these discussions more and more, I look back to the MCU's start.  Iron Man is the best of them (and might still be), and the rest of the phase one movies are pretty meh.  Incredible Hulk is all but forgotten, Iron Man 2 is very pedestrian, the first Thor is fun but fleeting, and I already talked about First Avenger.  The universe didn't really "work" until the Avengers, and then (in my opinion), the movies started to feel connected and fun.

I think Wonder Woman is the best film of the DCEU.  If Wonder Woman is the DCEU's "Iron Man" and the rest of the pre-Justice League movies end up being equatable to the MCU phase one.  If that's the case, the DCEU will still be in phenomenal shape.

Maybe... but can you really say that the Marvel movies started getting better after The Avengers? Iron Man 3 was just bad. Thor 2 is a movie that I know I've seen, but usually can't remember. I guess you could say that Winter Soldier was okay, but Civil War was an incoherent mess. Really, if you took Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and possibly Ant-Man out of the picture, the whole franchise would be a disaster. That's two and a half movies out of fourteen or fifteen, right?

I do expect people to like some of the DC movies more going forward. They'll probably not like Justice League (and if they do, they'll praise Joss for fixing the movie), but Aquaman, Batman, The Flash, Cyborg... there are so many flavors to choose from here, so I expect people to find something that the like in the bunch. I just hope that Warner Bros doesn't feel a need to dumb down the DC movies in order to please Marvel fans.

590 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2017-06-01 14:45:56)

I mean, maybe I'm not watching these movies right, but I think they have gotten a lot better.  Thor: the Dark World is a pretty forgettable movie, but I actually really enjoyed the others.  Iron Man 3 isn't a great movie, but it's probably the movie that tried the hardest to be something else (it might have failed, but I really thought it was an interesting experiment in superhero films).  Winter Soldier, Guardians, Ant-Man, Civil War (I really liked it), Dr. Strange (repetitive, but again, I thought it was fun), Guardians 2....these are the best movies and all better than most of Phase One.

If I had to rank the movies....

Iron Man (Phase One)
Captain America: Civil War (Phase Three)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Phase Two)
Guardians of the Galaxy (Phase Two)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Phase Three)
The Avengers (Phase One)
Ant-Man (Phase Two)
Iron Man 3 (Phase Two)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (Phase Two)
Dr. Strange (Phase Three)
Thor (Phase One)
Iron Man 2 (Phase One)
Captain America: The First Avenger (Phase One)
Thor: The Dark World (Phase Two)
The Incredible Hulk (Phase One)

I still think Iron Man is the best movie all around, but it's the only one in my top 5 from Phase One.  Outside of Avengers (which might be too high on my list, but it's got a lot of re-watchability) the rest of Phase One is in my bottom 6.

For me, the DCEU is:

Wonder Woman
Man of Steel
Suicide Squad/BvS (I can't decide which one I liked more...I should probably rewatch both...Wonder Woman really made me want to rewatch BvS)

But I'm not even sure how I'd fit the DC films into my Marvel rankings because I feel like it's rating apples and oranges.  That's my point, though.  Marvel makes really good popcorn films that I legitimately enjoy.  DC hasn't really mastered their formula yet....but it took an entire phase of "meh" movies for Marvel to get theirs right.

Agreed. I generally try not to compare the DC movies to Marvel movies, because they are so different that it's silly to compare. And you also have several decades of DC movies and shows with these characters, so that is a whole other layer to consider.

What I'm loving about the DC franchise so far is the lack of a formula. Each movie feels like it's own film, whereas the Marvel movies have taken the approach of fitting everything into one big picture. That has hurt Marvel more than helped, in my opinion. But again, they are doing what they do.

I am going to try to rewatch the DC movies this weekend. BvS especially. Then we can discuss with it fresh in our minds.

Okay, I have a couple semi-spoilers questions.  Neither really spoils anything in the movie, but it spoils ideas in the movie.  If you don't want to know anything, stop here.

1. Can Wonder Woman fly?  She doesn't in BvS, and there's a couple times in Wonder Woman where she *kinda* (?) flies?  None of the other Amazons could, seemingly.  Can she fly in modern comics?  I know she flew in the DCAU, but I also know she had an invisible plane.

2. Is Steve Trevor a one-and-done character?  The sequel is supposed to take place after Justice League.  Whether or not Steve Trevor lives through the film, he's an adult in WWI.  Does he sorta become the Agent Carter of the DCEU, where maybe he comes back in dreams or old age makeup?  Or do they move on to a new love interest for Diana (Bruce Wayne?)?

In the current comics, Wonder Woman is kind of a mess.  However, the New 52 presented a Diana who could not fly; but during the course of her series, she was scratched by a feather of Hermes and gained the ability to fly.

I haven't seen the movie yet; but from what I'm reading, it seems like they're going with her 1950's power of being able to glide on air currents.  It's something akin to Jerry O'Connells ability to levitate in "My Secret Identity", but he had no movement unless there was an outside force propelling him.  With Wonder Woman, the strength of her jumps provide the initial boost for that.

Someone help me out. I was just looking at boxofficemojo.com and comparing numbers to see how Wonder Woman is doing. To me, it looks like the weakest of the DCEU openings, but the headlines are calling it a box office smash and the savior of the DCEU. Am I missing something, or is this more about critics than numbers? I'd say that it could have been about when it opened, but Man of Steel opened around the same time and seems to have made a bit more.

I'm not trying to say that WW isn't a success. It is. And I haven't seen it, so I have no opinion on the movie itself. I'm just trying to understand the headlines. I honestly don't know if I'm missing something, so I'm not being sarcastic about it.

SPOILERS

TemporalFlux wrote:

In the current comics, Wonder Woman is kind of a mess.  However, the New 52 presented a Diana who could not fly; but during the course of her series, she was scratched by a feather of Hermes and gained the ability to fly.

I haven't seen the movie yet; but from what I'm reading, it seems like they're going with her 1950's power of being able to glide on air currents.  It's something akin to Jerry O'Connells ability to levitate in "My Secret Identity", but he had no movement unless there was an outside force propelling him.  With Wonder Woman, the strength of her jumps provide the initial boost for that.

There's nothing in the movie that makes things clear at all.  It's obvious that Amazons cannot fly.  In fact, they're not all that superhuman - not bulletproof and fought evenly (?) with a bunch of World War I soldiers.

It's hard to tell if Diana is bulletproof.  She's never shown to be shot, and it's hard to tell if she's deflecting every bullet or not.  She seems like a stronger/faster version of regular Amazons.  She's shown to be able to jump higher/further than other Amazons, but if she can fly early in the movie, she doesn't know it.

In her fight with Ares, *he* can definitely fly.  Later in the fight, she either absorbs his flying ability or learns to fly.  And the final shot of the movie is her jumping miles (?) away.  It does seem more like a long jump than flight, but it's really hard to tell.  There's no mention of air currents, but it's possible that she and Ares were doing something with air currents.  Even when he flies, it's more floating.  She's definitely floating, but it's hard to tell if it's something she's doing, something she's absorbing from him, or something the "electricity" from Ares is doing.

It's not important (and I don't think she can fly), but it's just something that's been bothering me since I saw it.

Informant wrote:

Someone help me out. I was just looking at boxofficemojo.com and comparing numbers to see how Wonder Woman is doing. To me, it looks like the weakest of the DCEU openings, but the headlines are calling it a box office smash and the savior of the DCEU. Am I missing something, or is this more about critics than numbers? I'd say that it could have been about when it opened, but Man of Steel opened around the same time and seems to have made a bit more.

Well, it's more about expectations. Batman vs. Superman was supposed to do Avengers-like numbers, and came up about $40 million short on opening weekend (and terrible word of mouth cut its legs out from underneath it). Suicide Squad got terrible reviews, but the $325 million gross domestically exceeded most reasonable expectations (i.e., the people that either thought it would open to $150, or the ones that thought it would have to do at least that to be considered anything but a flop).

Wonder Woman, on the other hand, was a bit of a wild card. Would people (read: the assholes that harass women for being women that dare to do male things, etc.) go see a woman super hero? Would the baggage from the other DC movies drag it down? Most people seemed to be thinking $80s, so to wind up at $103 million when the dust settled is pretty impressive. Plus, those great reviews should give it the kind of legs the previous entries haven't been able to have. In fact, you can already kinda see it since it's basically doing the same numbers for the first Monday and Tuesday that SS did ($27.4 to $26), with the handicap of doing it in early June, when a lot of schools are still in session compared to SS in August. BvS was in that $27 million range for that first Monday/Tuesday as well, despite both of them opening well higher than WW.

I guess. To me, it just looks like the DCEU is performing consistently. WW will probably end up making about as much as MoS. That's pretty good. It's weird that the DCEU appears to be doing really well, but there is a constant need to portray BvS and SS as failures, even though they weren't. Critics didn't like them, but that doesn't appear to have stopped the movies from being successful. They're also doing really well in home video sales.

pilight wrote:

Would people (read: the assholes that harass women for being women that dare to do male things, etc.) go see a woman super hero?

I don't understand where this thought first came from.  I think people are generally drawn to people that look like them (which is why women-led shows like Nashville and Scandal draw more women and African American-led shows like Empire draw more African Americans).  After that, it's more about theme (which is why women watch The Bachelor (1 man, many women) and the Bachelorette (1 woman, many men) equally more than men).

That's why there's a need to race-swap and gender-swap...to make these movies more universal.  But, at the end of the day, if you like superheroes, it doesn't/shouldn't matter whether it's a black woman kicking ass or a white woman.  And I think, for most people, that's the case.

People like to blame the studios for not taking more risks, but my problem with that is that the studio isn't there to take risks.  The studio isn't there to advance the cause of women or minorities.  They're there to make money.  A white male hero draws white males (who are used to seeing heroes that look like them) and minorities/women (who are used to seeing white male heroes).  A black female hero might draw more women and minorities (who actively seek out someone who looks like them), but it might alienate white men (who are used to seeing white male heroes).

My belief is that it's a small percentage of people.  But to make up for a small percentage of white male users (let's say 1%), they'd need a whole lot of people who don't usually see those types of movies to show up.  In simple black and white numbers, that doesn't make sense.

It's the same with toy companies.  Toy companies would *only* make Black Widow figures if that's what would make the most money, but they replaced Black Widow with Captain America because studies showed that it'd make them more money. 

That's really it.  Now they're still shortsighted because Wonder Woman is going to get girls more interested in superheroes and comics, leading to future dividends (more women will go see Justice League, for example).  Black Widow action figures might not sell as well as Captain America figures in the short term, but if they get a number of little girls interested in action figures then it should also increase the number of Captain America figures that are sold.

The problem is that shortsighted is the name of the game most of the time.  Most careers live and die by what's next, and if you spend too much time planning, you die.  It's why James Cameron's 4 Avatar sequels seems so bizarre nowadays when the idea of a movie getting 4 sequels is really, really common.  It's just the idea that someone has faith in 4 movies at the same time.

I think the draw to this WW film is that, for the first time since probably Dark Knight, a DC film has a decent script.

Rewatched Man of Steel today. Now, I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, but MoS remains the best superhero movie ever. It really is one of my favorite movies overall. Beautifully show. Great character work.

Awesome movie.