1 (edited by tom2point0 2016-03-01 07:23:08)

Topic: Rewatch Podcast

Hey all, I'm pleased to announce a second Sliders podcast! More new Sliders content!

It was Jim and Mr Stargate from the Sliderscast that actually prompted the idea in one of their episodes and then though a series of tweets and "@" mentions there I was linked up with Cory who wanted to do a rewatch of the show and the rest is history now!

It's a bit different than the Sliderscast as far as format goes, as we cover two episodes of Sliders per podcast episode. If you're so inclined feel free to give it a listen and give feedback. Hope you find it enjoyable! Also, the Rewatch Podcast isn't limited to Sliders, rather it's a podcast devoted to rewatch it various shows and movies. Cory will be doing a Star Trek Movie Rewatch on the same feed as well. I'm not involved in that one though.

Just to note: Episode 0 is JUST about myself and Cory, a little insight into who we are. If you're curious about that, then listen in. If not, jump right to episode 1!

http://rewatchpodcast.podomatic.com/

Re: Rewatch Podcast

So, not to embarrass anyone, but the Sliders Rewatch originated as a truly ghastly podcast by Cory and Karen. It was very obvious from the first episode that Cory and Karen loved SLIDERS; it was also very obvious that they lacked the vocal presence to convey that love in a podcast. They are slow, hesitant, overly-deliberate speakers -- and you know, there's nothing wrong with that, but it made for a truly slumber-inducing podcast. I had to stop listening to it for the safety of myself and others -- which is to say I listen to podcasts when driving and Cory and Karen were making me so sleepy that I had to turn them off or risk an accident.

But now we have a reboot with Tom2Point0 and Cory. And I have to say, Tom is that peculiar X-Factor -- that missing ingredient of elusive definition who, injected into the Sliders Rewatch, suddenly amps it up from sedating to spectacular. Tom's commanding vocal presence and sly humour is ideal for podcasts and he bounces off Cory perfectly. Cory is the ideal contrast to Tom's voice; higher pitched and more thoughtful and calculated, and where with Karen, Cory was incredibly dull -- well, with Tom, Cory's voice suddenly becomes earnest and heartfelt and this partnership is just ideal.

I really enjoy the format of two episodes per podcast. I love listening to Dan and Jim and Ian talking for 82 minutes about "In Dinos Veritas" on SLIDERS as a more informal gab-fest between friends, but there's something very crisp, professional and compact about Sliders Rewatch. Neither is better; they're just different products with different aims and the contrast is flattering to both. I particularly like how Cory and Tom have a very affectionately admiring take on SLIDERS, such as noting how Quinn in the Pilot inexplicably points the timer at the sky when seeking to escape a tornado or how Rembrandt's plan to rescue Quinn from the CDC in "Fever" consists of driving up to the building and waiting for Quinn to escape.

They're all done with Season 1 now and they've done a great job. I'm eager to hear them take on Seasons 2 - 5 and I am very pleased to see that this reboot with Sliders Rewatch has become a great success. Congratulations to Tom and Cory. Well done! Fix your website. Oh my God, the dark blue on black is unreadable. (Not that I can talk; it took me a month to fix Sliders.tv because I'd been so distracted by some personal affairs.)

We're so spoiled and lucky. Too killer podcasts.  Twenty years after the debut, fans still get to enjoy this show because of content creators like you all.

Ib, since you did such a great job with your Sliderscast minisode, it's obvious to me you'd do a great job with some spoken essays to contribute as well.  Maybe these shows can feature your perspective... and now it's time for.... yada yada.

Anyway, keep up the good work Tom!

Thanks guys! I truly appreciate the comments! Like I said in episode 0, it's my first venture into this type of podcast. And I'm truly appreciative of Sliderscast for planting the idea in the first place. You're right we are two different styles of podcasts, each one great in its own way. And we welcome any contributions so if you've got anything to add in, send us a recording or email too!

And I'll let Cory know about the website too. Agreed it needs some work. Thanks again! smile

T2

5 (edited by RewatchPodcast 2015-06-23 21:13:40)

Hey Everyone! Cory here. Glad to have you all listening and I really appreciate the constructive criticism and feedback.

As you may know, we have our "Messages from Earth Prime" segment in the show, so if you want to use this message board to give your thoughts on the episodes we're discussing, we'd love to include them on the podcast. We're gearing up to discuss "El Sid" and "Love Gods" tomorrow. As always, you can also email us at therewatchpodcast@gmail.com, join us on Twitter @RewatchPod or like our Facebook page Facebook.com/RewatchPodcast.

I also cleaned up the website that Podomatic generated for us, would love your feedback on anything else we could include (keeping in mind that this is a basic page that comes with our subscription to the service, so its nothing too flashy) http://rewatchpodcast.podomatic.com

I really enjoyed the most recent podcast. I'd politely disagree about the ending of "Into the Mystic." I've always found it haunting, eerie, tragic and logical. The sliders could make it home and not recognize it. There is no way they can ever get home and be sure it's home. I would be interested in better understanding why you guys disliked it; was it badly written? Was it poorly conceived? Did it reflect badly on SLIDERS? I don't think so.

I also gently disagree with the criticisms of the teaser. Having Quinn wake up would have been a bit flat; showing the eerie image of his own headstone was far more striking and compelling.

I think you guys were bang on about "Time Again and World." The episode is baffling with many scenes providing seemingly vital information that doesn't add up to anything. The plot makes no sense whatsoever with the plan to read the Constitution on pirate radio when the Internet is functional and usable. I liked Cory's humility in saying he was relieved to hear that Tom didn't understand the episode either.

I loved the last podcast. These guys do have great chemistry.

I listened to the original Rewatch Podcast 1st episode and didn't care for it much. I'll give the new format a try, sounds like it's got some good reviews here!

The new format is superb!

Thanks for the comments all! Much appreciated!

As far as Into The Mystic goes, I just never liked the "tribute" to Wizard of Oz. Much as I dislike MOST of the other tributes that end up happening in the series as it goes on. I enjoy the actors and characters but hated the way they tried to cash in on what was going on with movies and such. I would have loved to have seen a REAL episode done where the world was magic heavy. Less campy, less wizard of oz-ish. Maybe incorporating more of the witchcraft/mystical side rather than the smoke and mirrors we got. A world where Arturo would be hard pressed to say it's all explainable by science.

I don't mind the fact that they did get home; I like that actually, but the squeaky gate test to me is a bit too unscientific a test. Quinn and Arturo should realize that if there are infinite dimensions then there are infinite squeaky gates out there. Let's say the gate did squeak  that doesn't mean it's for sure their own home dimension. Given this particular slide though, they only had a minute to figure it out so it's understandable.

I think a neat twist would have been the gate squeaking, them staying, realizing it's then not their dimension, and then trying to recreate sliding so as to control it better. It would have changed the direction of the show for a few episodes as they work to figure out the tech, but would have been neat to have seen. They could have done a Wade voice over saying it's been so many months or years since they got stuck and so on.

Oh and the new episode is up now! El Sid and Love Gods!

Another great job!!  I love Corey's interludes, eg Wade's sassy moments, etc.

The show is great. Just keeps getting better.

I enjoyed the "El Sid" and "Love Gods" podcast too! I wish they were longer; I love listening to Cory and Tom during my commutes.

I don't have a lot to say about "El Sid" as an episode. Cory and Tom did a great job exploring Arturo's morality in that his 'betrayal' does point to a lot of angry feelings towards Quinn. "El Sid," to me, is a well-intentioned misfire. The main problem for me, aside from too little script, is that I don't enjoy seeing the sliders at each others' throats. I understand the show wanting to vary the interaction a bit. They don't always get on. I just found it ugly and unappealing and I prefer it when sliders arguing is played for laughs.

"Love Gods" is a fun action episode with a hilarious concept, but the breeding program makes no sense whatsoever. There is no way a world this developed could fail to develop in-vitro fertilization. The only explanation I can conceive is that the virus affected even surviving men in some way that their sperm cannot retain viability in storage for some reason. God, world-building is so hard.

I'd disagree with Cory and Tom saying that Quinn was in any way enthused about being so in demand. Jerry plays Quinn as completely disgusted and repulsed throughout the episode. This is not a guy who has any patience or enjoyment for being objectified. Quinn Mallory has a sense of the big picture. This is part of why the character is so special to me. As a kid, I was really confused by girls and hormonal impulses. Quinn's frustration throughout the episode clarified things for me; he wants to be liked for the whole of who he is in body and mind. He's not exactly prudish, but losing his father as a boy makes him hesitate to produce offspring he wouldn't be there to raise. I really felt that in this absurd episode, Quinn Mallory was revealed as everything a man should be in relating to women.

Funny how in the two episodes where Quinn probably had sex (this and "Double Cross"), the show puts in some wiggle room!

I really doubt he did in Double Cross.

I was wondering, what equipment do you guys use so it sounds like you're in the same room when you record this - despite being on opposite sides of the world.

My God, Tom and Cory are great on this show! Faith in life restored! Whew, that was close.

Hey all! We included some of your kind feedback on this thread in the new episode! Just giving you all the heads up, due to real life getting in the way, we are recording our discussion of "Gillian of the Spirits" and "Obsession" on the same day we're releasing the episode about "The Good, the bad and the Wealthy" and "As time goes by." If you want to give and feedback (here or send an email to TheRewatchPodcast@gmail.com) then jump in ASAP. Cheers

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

I was wondering, what equipment do you guys use so it sounds like you're in the same room when you record this - despite being on opposite sides of the world.

I can't speak for Cory's equipment but basically we get on Skype, me using my iPhone and ear buds, and then I use a Shure SM 58 mic plugged into a Behringer mixer plugged into my MacMini which I record all I say into GarageBand. Cory's setup is similar I assume as he is recording HIS voice over there. Then I send him my file and he drops the two in together and edits out whatever we need edited out and adds in the music and little fun bits. He's the workhorse of this whole operation!

Quinn does seem off put. He does smile a tad and smirk along with Remy and the Prof however in that one scene. Not as much as Remy and the Prof but there's still some if you watch the police precinct scene. Overall though he's definitely more of the voice of reason and respect. Im thinking maybe at first he just wasn't believing this was actually happening rather than laughing as enjoyment.

ireactions wrote:

I enjoyed the "El Sid" and "Love Gods" podcast too! I wish they were longer; I love listening to Cory and Tom during my commutes.

I'd disagree with Cory and Tom saying that Quinn was in any way enthused about being so in demand. Jerry plays Quinn as completely disgusted and repulsed throughout the episode. This is not a guy who has any patience or enjoyment for being objectified. Quinn Mallory has a sense of the big picture. This is part of why the character is so special to me. As a kid, I was really confused by girls and hormonal impulses. Quinn's frustration throughout the episode clarified things for me; he wants to be liked for the whole of who he is in body and mind. He's not exactly prudish, but losing his father as a boy makes him hesitate to produce offspring he wouldn't be there to raise. I really felt that in this absurd episode, Quinn Mallory was revealed as everything a man should be in relating to women.

Funny how in the two episodes where Quinn probably had sex (this and "Double Cross"), the show puts in some wiggle room!

You know, it'd be interesting to one day have a Rewatch Podcast episode edited by Jim of Sliderscast and to have a Sliderscast episode edited by Cory.

I did notice Quinn reacting with laughter to Rembrandt's jokes?

Interestingly, Jerry and Quinn were completely opposed; Jerry thought the women-only world was awesome, which goes to show how very, very talented Jerry can be.

tom2point0 wrote:

I can't speak for Cory's equipment but basically we get on Skype, me using my iPhone and ear buds, and then I use a Shure SM 58 mic plugged into a Behringer mixer plugged into my MacMini which I record all I say into GarageBand. Cory's setup is similar I assume as he is recording HIS voice over there. Then I send him my file and he drops the two in together and edits out whatever we need edited out and adds in the music and little fun bits. He's the workhorse of this whole operation!

Got it. Makes sense. So you have two recorded audio tracks, you sync them and use skype in real-time to communicate during the recording process.

Hey guys,

new episode is up now for "Gillian of the Spirits" and "Obsession." Please forgive the slight buzzing on Tom's side of the audio, he must have had a loose conductor and I couldn't quite clear it all up. We pride ourselves in audio quality but sometimes these little accidents happen. Hope you enjoy the episode regardless!

http://rewatchpodcast.podomatic.com

Yes sorry about the buzzing, guys! I tried to recreate the recording situation and no buzzing was there that time! A fluke!

tom2point0 wrote:

Yes sorry about the buzzing, guys! I tried to recreate the recording situation and no buzzing was there that time! A fluke!

No problem!

I enjoyed the podcast. Couldn't really hear the buzzing unless I turned up the sound louder than necessary. But even then, it blended in with the sound of traffic during my drive.

I really enjoyed hearing Cory and Tom dissect Quinn's manifestation on the astral plane. They speak of the laws of physics being violated -- I would say the problem is more that the rules seem totally inconsistent; Quinn is intangible to people yet interacts with furniture. That scene with Gillian would have benefited greatly from Quinn sitting on the floor with her. But at the end of the day, I just can't get too worked up over such issues. It's an emotional and heartfelt episode; the flaws are acceptable to me. I laughed at Cory and Tom noting that sixty seconds in SLIDERS seems to be a pretty stretched out period of time and how the vortex has never been consistent in duration.

Also enjoyed their take on "Obsession," especially the dream/flashback sequences. Period acting isn't every actor's strength and it was most definitely not Sabrina's. Also adored them noting Derek's subtle reference to Quinn's jealousy with the polite, "You have your own reasons for doubting me" without specifying the actual reasons. I thought the episode was a really great exploration of how complicated Quinn and Wade have become without pairing them up or not pairing them up.

Regarding Derek Bond's vision -- it's entirely possible that Derek's vision was not of "Invasion" at all or the subsequent destination of the vortex. I mean, "Invasion" starts with Rembrandt having acquired hockey pads and a helmet on a previous Earth; surely Derek wasn't horrified by an image of Rembrandt at a sporting goods store. Derek's vision may have been of something farther in the future (therefore well past whatever episode aired after "Obsession"). Perhaps "Invasion." Perhaps "Paradise Lost." Perhaps "The Exodus" or "This Slide of Paradise" or "Genesis" or "The Chasm" or "The Great Work" or "Please Press One" or "Requiem." Or perhaps he had a vision of Jerry O'Connell's career immediately following SLIDERS.

While I'm flattered to be called a god of this Bboard, I'm going to have to reject such claims. I am in no way a deity even in this tiny realm. My likes and dislikes for SLIDERS are eccentric; even my fanfic isn't really reflective of SLIDERS as much as it's reflective of COMMUNITY with SLIDERS characters. I can speak with some authority on many SLIDERS subjects, but only because Temporal Flux was so very generous in public and private; anything I know about SLIDERS' behind the scenes stuff came from him.

Hi everyone, glad your enjoying the podcast! Our new ep for "Invasion" and "Post Traumatic Slide Syndrome" is up now. And yes, I am aware that I goofed and spent the whole episode referring to it as "Post Traumatic Slide Disorder." I'm clever like that hmm

New segment next week- "Inter-dimensional Corrections"

ireactions wrote:

But at the end of the day, I just can't get too worked up over such issues. It's an emotional and heartfelt episode; the flaws are acceptable to me.

Totally agree with that! Nitpicks are just that: Nitpicks. I don't let it interfere with my enjoyment either.

ireactions wrote:

Regarding Derek Bond's vision -- it's entirely possible that Derek's vision was not of "Invasion" at all or the subsequent destination of the vortex. Or perhaps he had a vision of Jerry O'Connell's career immediately following SLIDERS.

Haha yes, that! We actually discuss that in the newest episode. I had never thought about it before that way, about how Derek may have been looking elsewhen and not the immediate next slide.

Also, wait until next week's episode! We wanted to time things a certain way, so we would end seasons together in one podcast, and so that a certain two parter would be in the same episode together as well, sooooo we have a "very special episode" of the Rewatch Podcast coming up in where we discuss THREE Sliders episode together! 3 for 1! Wotta deal, eh?

Enjoyed the last two episodes. Thanks guys.

Hey guys, we're just sitting down to record the new ep on "Desert Storm" and "Dragonslide" so feel free to give any feedback. We won't get to it now because we're recording but the next ep we are discussing “The Fire Within” and “The Prince of Slides”

Cheers,
Cory

RewatchPodcast wrote:

Hey guys, we're just sitting down to record the new ep on "Desert Storm" and "Dragonslide" so feel free to give any feedback. We won't get to it now because we're recording but the next ep we are discussing “The Fire Within” and “The Prince of Slides”

Cheers,
Cory

I saw a new cast up last night. Looking forward to listening!

I loved the latest podcast.  For whatever reason it was one of my favorites.  Fantastic coverage of The Guardian - one of the all-time great sliders episodes, and completely unique.  Torme got a lot of pushback on it.

I loved the latest podcast.  For whatever reason it was one of my favorites.  Fantastic coverage of The Guardian - one of the all-time great sliders episodes, and completely unique.  Torme got a lot of pushback on it.

Yeah The Guardian was so well done. It's a bit Quantum Leap-ish but that's not a bad thing at all! In fact I am trying to convince Cory that QL should be our next rewatch! wink

Getting set to sit down and discuss The Prince of Slides as well as that utterly amazing, incredibly well-written seminal episode, The Fire Within. Got anything to say about those episodes? Post it here within the next hour!

Sorry for not commenting on your recent podcasts -- when there was no in-thread post about a new podcast, I missed it!

The "Greatfellas" and "Young and Relentless" podcast was strong in discussion but frustrating for me. I don't know why, but the volume kept dropping randomly throughout the podcast. I'd turn up the volume to hear, only for the voice to be booming. Then I'd turn down the sound only to find the volume dropped so low I couldn't hear what Tom and Cory were saying. This was also present to a lesser extent in the "Double Cross" and "Rules of the Game" podcast.

Anyway. I thought it was hilarious that Tom and Cory were so disappointed by the Cleavant/Clinton doubling in "Greatfellas." I always thought it was very well-handled, but Tom and Cory found it obvious, glaring and easily noticeable when Clinton played Rembrandt-1 or Rembrandt-2. I also enjoyed Tom's fixation on Wade-2 in "Relentless." Neither episode is spectacular for me, but there's a lot of fun cast interaction and strong scenes. Tom and Cory noted that "Relentless" seems to have some serious logic and transition issues throughout: Quinn is inexplicably threatened by the unimposing Kyle, Quinn and Wade go from being captive to in control after a commercial break. Torme says the crew was tired during this time as it was the last episode of Season 2 to be filmed.

I enjoyed the talk, but it was *really* annoying at times when the audio would drop out. I'll talk about the next podcast soon. :-)

Oh the audio yesssss we have that figured out. What happened was there was an update to Cory's OS that broke his Skype recorder so we had to come up with a new method which resulted in an aggressive noise reduction filter unfortunately.

But alas all is not lost! Cory went and upgraded the Skype recorder (for an additional fee because everyone's gotta make money) and so the last few episodes should sound like the episodes of old, sounding as if Cory and I are back together sittin in the Sydney Opera House, recording the podcast!

Oh it's episode 15 that you should notice the audio quality return.

And we will definitely be better about posting when the new eps are up. In fact, the newest should be up later tonight. We'll let you know!

Sorry to hear about the tech issues.

Continuing with thoughts on the "GF"/"Y&R" podcast -- I enjoyed Tom and Cory performing the 29.7 exposition scene that was cut from "Summer of Love." They did a fun job of playing the characters and Cory and Tom's impressions of Jerry, Cleavant and John are very funny.

However, this makes me more certain than ever that imitating the actors for a SLIDERS audioplay would be a very bad idea. I'm not saying it's impossible: Robert Floyd can imitate Jerry's voice well and Bob Joles made a career of copying John Rhys-Davies. But at the end of the day, I think a new actor playing these roles would be better off playing *Quinn* rather than imitating Jerry. If Rob found the time to perform dialogue for me, I wouldn't ask him to play Quinn the way Jerry O'Connell played him. I'd ask Robert Floyd to play Quinn the way Robert Floyd would play him. Same thing with Tom and his acting troupe.

The episodes are weekly, posted every Sunday, or Monday as in this weeks, it seems?

The episodes are weekly, posted every Sunday, or Monday as in this weeks, it seems?

Yes indeed every week and usually Monday though sometimes they may have shown up early here or there. We like to keep the weekly format. This way people know when to expect it!

Every once in awhile we may need to adjust if we go on vacation but we have so far been able to keep it going weekly!

ireactions wrote:

Sorry to hear about the tech issues.

Continuing with thoughts on the "GF"/"Y&R" podcast -- I enjoyed Tom and Cory performing the 29.7 exposition scene that was cut from "Summer of Love." They did a fun job of playing the characters and Cory and Tom's impressions of Jerry, Cleavant and John are very funny.

However, this makes me more certain than ever that imitating the actors for a SLIDERS audioplay would be a very bad idea. I'm not saying it's impossible: Robert Floyd can imitate Jerry's voice well and Bob Joles made a career of copying John Rhys-Davies. But at the end of the day, I think a new actor playing these roles would be better off playing *Quinn* rather than imitating Jerry. If Rob found the time to perform dialogue for me, I wouldn't ask him to play Quinn the way Jerry O'Connell played him. I'd ask Robert Floyd to play Quinn the way Robert Floyd would play him. Same thing with Tom and his acting troupe.

Glad you enjoyed! It was a bit of fun we thought we'd give a go! And yeah, probably would be better to have new actors playing their version of Quinn. I wish I had time to devote to an audio play! I barely have the time to get in this weekly podcast! I'm a busy boy these days!

Speaking of being a busy boy, it IS a bit off topic but you're all invited to check out my site www.tom2point0.com where you can hear and see some of the stuff that keeps me busy. I'm a musician and I play several times a month local here in Phoenix. If you're ever around online during one of the shows on my calendar, you can even listen to me live since I stream my shows out to the Internet for others to hear. You can even make requests!

Tonight Cory and I will sit down to discuss State of the ART and Season's Greedings! If you've got anything to say about those episodes, toss your two cents in here and we will try and work it in to the podcast!

Great site.

I love state of the ART - although as i recall it might start getting sort of bad.

Season's Greedings is one of the best sliders episodes for me, and i love the locations.

tom2point0 wrote:

Getting set to sit down and discuss The Prince of Slides as well as that utterly amazing, incredibly well-written seminal episode, The Fire Within. Got anything to say about those episodes? Post it here within the next hour!

You guys really helped me relive the Fire Within. In just a little way, I feel like this podcast (along with sliderscast) have been almost like Sliders returning.  No, it's not new episodes but it allows me to have something new to look forward to every week and to be able to re-engage in the sliders world through a passive entertainment experience.  So thank you.

Hey Sliders Fans!

Our new episode is up! We discuss "State of the Art" and "Season's Greedings" smile

Next week we discuss "Murder Most Foul" and "Slide like and Egyptian" if you have any feedback for us, we'd love to hear from you.

Enjoy the new episode

You guys really helped me relive the Fire Within. In just a little way, I feel like this podcast (along with sliderscast) have been almost like Sliders returning.  No, it's not new episodes but it allows me to have something new to look forward to every week and to be able to re-engage in the sliders world through a passive entertainment experience.  So thank you.

Thank YOU for listening! We really appreciate it! I agree too, when I started listening to the Sliderscast it felt like it was revival as well!

tom2point0 wrote:

Thank YOU for listening! We really appreciate it! I agree too, when I started listening to the Sliderscast it felt like it was revival as well!

I'm lucky to be able to listen.  Thanks to everyone keeping Sliders alive!

My absence was noted in the "Fire Within"/"Prince of Slides" podcast. I have been working on SLIDERS REBORN. Most of my energy for SLIDERS is going there. Had a pretty intense story conference last night, too. :-)

I am gathering my thoughts on recent podcasts, but rest assured, I think the Rewatch Podcast has been excellent.

Okay. I'm jumping ahead a bit -- but I feel I must. At one point during the "State of the ART" podcast, Cory described Eddie Mills (Derec) as doing a good job on DAWSON'S CREEK, playing a devout teenager who romanced the Jen character, whom Cory describes as "a slut."

When hearing that, I paused the podcast and pulled my car over to the side of the road. I hurried into the nearby newsagent and spoke briefly to the man at the counter, desperate to make sure that I was still living in the year 2015.

Putting it simply -- I think we should all be above using such derogatory terms to describe sexually liberated / adventurous women with extensive sexual exploits with multiple partners. We don't deride men for having a range of partners and experiences; why we do with women speaks greatly to how women are viewed as commodities rather than people with their own desires and wishes.

A woman being a terrific human being and a woman being someone who enjoys sex with many different people -- the two are not mutually exclusive. Nor should we ever do anything to say that women with wide and varied sexual histories are to be mocked and looked down upon. This is the twenty-first century, for God's sake.

Now, I don't actually think Cory believes that women who act on their sex drives are damaged goods who deserve neither respect nor consideration. I suspect it's a vocabulary issue; lacking the words to describe women with sexual ubiquity, he used the word slut. It happens. Let's try to be better?

I'll be responding the the podcasts individually when time permits.

50 (edited by RewatchPodcast 2015-09-14 18:28:32)

Hey ireactions,

I by no means meant to offend you or anyone. It was a simple way to describe what the the story line was about. Indeed, we are in 2015, and I believe woman are as free as men to explore their sexual desires and would never refer to a woman in such a derogatory way for doing so.

Please believe me, I was just over-simplifying for descriptive purposes and meant no ill-will or malice by the term. The character of Jen in Dawson's Creek had one of the best (if not the best) story arks over the shows run and is indeed a strong female character.

I apologise for any offence I caused.

Cory

He was referencing a show that's almost twenty years old in which the character he mentions literally arrives on scene because of her slutty behavior. There's nothing wrong with this for two reasons: 1) the dictionary definition is an accurate descriptor (even if it requires a trigger warning) and 2) that's how the show described and explained Jen. That's the whole point - she carries that stigma and spends a ton of the series owning and overcoming it.

We now return to your regularly scheduled discussion on Sliders podcasts.

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

In any case, guess what? A new episode is up! We discuss Murder Most Foul and Slide Like An Egyptian! Go get it!

I'm not going to listen to the podcast now. I'll listen to it during my commute tomorrow. :-) Thank you, Cory.

As for DAWSON'S CREEK -- I dunno! I watched it when I was 18/19 and I was kind of a Puritanical jerk who totally agreed with the show's characters holding Jen in judgement for the apparently horrific sin of having sex. I wonder if, rewatching it today, I'd see it as the authorial voice or merely the judgments of flawed characters. Also, I enjoyed Seasons 1 - 2 a lot, but found that when Kevin Williamson left after that, he took all the humour, fun and wit out of the series. Season 3 was crass and ugly; Season 4 was bland and I never made it to Seasons 5 - 6. Loved the series finale that Kevin Williamson returned to write, though.

Anyway. Matt and I are in that situation that even the very best of friends will find themselves in -- where we must agree to disagree.

tom2point0 wrote:

In any case, guess what? A new episode is up! We discuss Murder Most Foul and Slide Like An Egyptian! Go get it!

Ah, Slide Like An Egyptian. This will be interesting!

Cory and Tom's "Double Cross" and "Rules of the Game" podcast were interesting. The shift from Season 2 to Season 3 is severe. Quinn and Wade are now styled and dressed as models. The show is drenched in Los Angeles glamour and sunlight. There's a heavier emphasis on physical action and eye-candy, as Cory and Tom note from Quinn and Logan nearly being sucked into a vortex and Rembrandt sneaking on top of a bullet train.

I think the guys hit on a neat angle: this could have been good. SLIDERS was never a set, strict set of parameters to be followed. If any story can be a SLIDERS story, why not an action story? "Double Cross" has some strong sci-fi ideas: sliding is presented as an avenue of conquest and a corporate interest, the female-double concept is intriguing and Logan St. Clair is terrific; a vengeful antagonist who is a slider.

Cory and Tom observe, however, that Logan could have easily been an evil scientist; there was no need to make her a Quinn-double. To me, this is another fascinating exploration of the Quinn Mallory character. The Quinn we know is a daring adventurer and a scientist with a uniquely creative mind.

Quinn's creativity is also shown to be amazingly improvisational; the guy thinks on his feet and cobbles together capable solutions to bad situations all the time. It's how he's survived Seasons 1 - 2. All this is tempered with compassion. We don't know where Quinn gained his idealism or care for other human beings -- but Logan represents a Quinn without scruples or morality and she's terrifying.

"Double Cross" is also well-written in many ways. The sliders learn about the resource-drained situation of this parallel Earth effectively. Characters have personality beyond their plot function, from Logan's boss to the alternate-Wade. The scenes are crisp and forceful, the action is exciting and drives the plot and characters. Season 3 of SLIDERS could have been just like this: all the alt-history and world-building of Seasons 1 - 2 -- but with a bit more action and with the LA production.

Which is why "Rules of the Game" is such a trainwreck. It's a complete reversal of the strengths in "Double Cross," and Cory and Tom really notice the severe dropoff in care and craft in the episode. We have a guest-character, Nicky, a fellow survivalist in the deadly game -- and the episode forgets to establish her character's name! Or anything distinct about her or her poor teammates, Frankie and Oscar! It is simply unprofessional for a mass-market TV show to fail to provide a guest-star with an introduction that identifies her or any clear individuality.

The alternate history for "Rules of the Game" is also nonsensical. All sports are banned, so the deathmatch is all that exists to entertain? How is that even enforceable? How does anything in this world work? Cory notes that there are all sorts of fascinating angles for this episode; what do the viewers of this televised game make of the sliders? What is the world outside the game? How desperate must Nicky and the other competitors be to take part in this absurd and suicidal contest? None of it's addressed.

The sliders have some terrific scenes of conversation, but the story around them is a mess. As Tom and Cory note, the passengers aboard the flight simulator are terrified when the plane 'crashes,' yet the story indicates everyone but the sliders would have known it wasn't a real plane. The idea of Rembrandt being a former Navy man is absurd. Quinn letting Nicky's family win the prize is meaningless because Nicky was largely undefined as a character.

The sad thing is that "Rules of the Game" isn't even the worst of this version of SLIDERS, focused on spectacle without concern for content.

"Dead Man Sliding" is a fun episode for me. Like "Double Cross," it merges an action-oriented version of SLIDERS with the Season 1/2 approach and the result is an engaging, visually captivating product. It's fun. The game show murder trial situation is delightfully off the wall. Jerry O'Connell's performance does a great job of distinguishing his double from the normal Quinn. Tom and Cory didn't seem to like Arturo, Wade and Rembrandt angsting about Quinn's situation, but I found the scene heartfelt.

Tom and Cory seemed to have a mixed reaction to Wade dressing up in club girl attire; on one level appreciating it, on another, having trouble connecting it to the mousey Wade of Season 1/2. I thought it worked; after two years, the sliders are used to putting themselves into different roles in order to survive. It's a very sudden jump, of course, but all TV in this era had massive character shifts between seasons to show maturity as episode-to-episode development was impossible.

At times, however, the LA production style causes problems. Perrey Reeves (Taryn the bounty hunter) doesn't convince as a warrior. She's a fine actress, but the costuming puts her in a ridiculous skintight vinyl outfit. The result is that we don't see a character who is a capable hunter of fugitive criminals; it's a Hollywood actress in a revealing outfit.

It also results in a weird visual situation where when Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt, Arturo and all the guest-stars look like stylish models and nobody looks normal, the overall sense of reality is diminished. The Vancouver episodes felt like a physical reality inhabited by all sorts; the LA episodes are creating a reality that's only inhabited by people from magazine covers. Tom and Cory seemed to have fun with this episode, and I did too -- although it would have been better if it had been filmed by the Season 2 team.

I've never seen "Electric Twister Acid Test," but I loved hearing Cory and Tom read message board posts about the fan who adored all the special effects and found them to be the perfect representation of SLIDERS at its best.

"The Guardian" is a great episode and I enjoyed Tom and Cory working through it. Interestingly, "The Guardian" features a massive retcon to Quinn Mallory's backstory akin to declaring that Rembrandt once served in the Navy. Few have ever commented on it. Anyway. Tom and Cory noted it somewhat ridiculous that Quinn wouldn't reveal his childhood trauma to the other sliders. It never bothered me. I couldn't articulate why until Ian McDuffie said it was because the sliders spend too much time together.

I was intrigued by Cory and Tom taking issue with the vortex behaving strangely at the start of "The Guardian" with an unusually smooth exit for the sliders. To me, that was connected to the altered gravity of "The Guardian's" Earth; sliding was an attempt to create a confined gravity field, after all, and the attempt to manipulate gravity was what opened the first wormhole in the show. But maybe that's just me reading into it too much.

The curious retcon of "The Guardian" is this: the Pilot establishes that Quinn lost his father as a teenager (and Jerry plays Quinn standing with Michael in a photo). "The Guardian" says Quinn lost his father at age-11. The reason I think Tracy Torme did this: Quinn's character was scripted as an isolated shut-in without much of a social life. This makes little sense when Quinn is played by an athletic Jerry O'Connell with his full-charisma.

"The Guardian" offers an explanation for Quinn's social awkwardness. He skipped two grades and was physically smaller than his peers; his father's death traumatized him. This is entirely in opposition to the Pilot, also written by Torme -- and it suggests that Torme is attempting to reconcile the actor/character disconnect after the fact. Interestingly, Cory noted that the death of Quinn's father was an unspoken reason for his reluctance to father a child in "Love Gods." Michael Mallory doesn't appear in this episode, but his presence is constant.

I've never seen "The Dream Masters." But I loved listening to Cory and Tom talk about how ridiculous it was that a few guys who could control dreams would have the police running scared and how nobody could possibly be intimidated by a Dream Master. Also loved listening to them read the message board post from the fan who loved the special effects and considered the "Dream Master" to be the pinnacle of SLIDERS storytelling.

So, the "Desert Storm" podcast. Cory and Tom didn't like this episode much, nor do I. It's the spectacle-oriented version of SLIDERS but there is absolutely no energy, no drive, no excitement. The direction and editing of this episode are amateurish and incoherent, and the entire story is just a collection of setpieces pastiching the MAD MAX movies.

Ian McDuffie put it beautifully on his blog, noting that if people want to watch MAD MAX, they'll watch MAD MAX. They won't be interested in a cheap fan-film version that happens to feature the cast of SLIDERS. What's the point? The intense level of indifference within the production is disturbing; this is an episode where Arturo's illness is referred to as a *heart* condition when in "The Guardian," he was getting a BRAIN scan. God damn it.

And finally, "Desert Storm" is a scathing indictment of the LA production team on SLIDERS. A show so incompetent and incapable in its operation that it couldn't even avoid getting people killed. The stunt and safety standards on SLIDERS were so sloppy and lax as to be criminally negligent. Before "Desert Storm," there were constant visitors to the set; after "Desert Storm," production started locking down on visitors in an effort to cover up the circumstances Ken Steadman's death. SLIDERS in Season 3 was so bad that it KILLED someone.

And then we come to "Dragonslide." Oh, "Dragonslide." This is where I really gave up on SLIDERS. Tom and Cory didn't make too big a deal of it, clearly drained by "Electric Twister Acid Test" and "The Dream Masters" and "Desert Storm." But "Dragonslide" is the episode that flat out declares that magic exists in the SLIDERS mythos.

This is simply wrong. SLIDERS lends itself to many kinds of stories, sure. But the core of the show is founded on sliding as a scientific creation. A marvel of engineering. Much of sliding operates on how scientific principles are behind the wonders of the multiverse. And most SLIDERS stories, certainly the strong ones, operate on the sliders appreciating that the realities they visit operate on rules that can be understood and manipulated.

Tom and Cory took issue with the silliness. For me, the issue is abandoning any notion of rules. Within a work of fiction that operates on physics, mathematics, engineering and a loose sense of quantum mechanics, you can still have fantasy elements. You can have psychics and telepaths and present that a somewhat scientific concept from tapping the undiscovered abilities within the human mind. You can have monsters as the product of genetic engineering or cybernetic enhancement. It may be a stretch to call any of this science, but SLIDERS ultimately functions on the idea that the world(s) can be *understood* through reason and rationality.

But when you have people transforming into birds and magically taking over bodies and resurrecting and shapeshifting through spells, you've stepped into a level of arbitrary and, quite frankly, inexplicable fantasy. There is no reasoning or logic to how Quinn can come back to life or why killing Phillip Mallory would damn the villain. There's nothing for the sliders to investigate and understand. It's simply about manipulating meaningless symbols. Swords. Potions. Incantations. And SLIDERS simply isn't suited to this kind of storytelling.

When encountering psychics, the sliders learned the advantages and limits the psychics had and then formulated a plan. When encountering dragons and wizards, the sliders pick up magical objects. It doesn't call upon their intelligence, ingenuity, inventiveness or teamwork. "Dragonslide" also throws away any notion of world-building via an alternate outcome to a historical event. That sort of writing operates on applying logic, reason and extrapolation, and "Dragonslide"'s version of SLIDERS throws all that away in favour of magic.

Magic is a disservice to SLIDERS and its characters, and that's why "Dragonslide" is such an abomination despite being inoffensive as a piece of television.

Anyway. I laughed out loud when Tom and Cory balked at "Dragonslide"'s claim that the Rembrandt of the Pilot was getting ready to move in with Alicia Avo. That's just silly. The Rembrandt of Season 1 was clearly single and not desperate to return home to a lover from whom he'd been unwillingly parted.

"The Fire Within." Dear God, "The Fire Within." As Ian McDuffie angsted, we have here a perfectly workable story about unions and mistreated workers and SLIDERS instead obsessives over a ****ing talking flame. What the ****?! This is Season 3 at its lowest point (for now), abandoning social exploration for special effects. And it's so pointless. TV special effects looked as silly in the 90s as they do now. SLIDERS CGI looks like overpriced cartoons. That ridiculous bullet train in "Double Cross," the pathetic dragon in "Dragonslide" -- why would anyone be drawn in by such sloppy spectacle? The laziness of the production is perhaps best exemplified by the show staging a fire by filming the BACKDRAFT ride at the Universal theme park and using the footage in "The Fire Within." When you read Ian's blog entry on this moment, you can feel the will to live ebbing from Ian's soul.

I laughed myself silly when Tom and Cory dissected Wade's desire to have a baby and their noting how ridiculous it is that the flame can understand the English language and sliding. I will say, however, that despite the clumsiness, I am somewhat intrigued by the talking flame. It's an interesting idea, although "The Fire Within" does very little with it.

Thanks for the reviews, Ib!