Re: Random Thoughts about TV, Film and Media

I've been an Apple person most of my life (even before it was "cool" to , before Apple stores and when if you were lucky , a large computer store *might* have a small apple section tucked away in the corner). As far as phones, I have the 6, which I'm  keeping until it dies, since my unlimited data will end when I have to get a new phone. These rumors don't sound so great to me.

I wouldn't expect a headphone jack to come back.

Screen to cover the whole surface? Doesn't sound appealing to me.

Fingerprint scanner doesn't matter much to me, and I don't use Apple Pay anyway.

Price sounds like way too much.... I doubt that's right.

So basically sounds like a lot of money for stuff I don't care about (and the lack of something I do care about, a headphone jack).

I'll definitely be keeping the 6 as long as I can.

If I'm paying $1200 for a phone, it's going to be this one:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/360/0713/09/sliders-original-timer-replica-full_360_3dbfc18ff53d6e81403e4ed8388729d3.jpg

TemporalFlux wrote:

If I'm paying $1200 for a phone, it's going to be this one:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/360/0713/09/sliders-original-timer-replica-full_360_3dbfc18ff53d6e81403e4ed8388729d3.jpg

Nice! Is that an original prop?

btw, it is sad to see dimensionofcontinuity.com is no longer with us..

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

It is sad indeed

sad

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

It's still online; it just looks like someone is converting it to a content management system. Be patient, young ones...

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

Transmodiar wrote:

It's still online; it just looks like someone is converting it to a content management system. Be patient, young ones...

good to know!

Why are people mad that Ed Sheeran guest starred on Game of Thrones?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Why are people mad that Ed Sheeran guest starred on Game of Thrones?

maybe because it breaks the fourth wall sort of thing?  It's mixing universes!

I guess.  I had no idea what he looked like, and I wasn't drawn out of the scene because of bad acting.

I don't really know (or care much since GoT isn't exactly tv at its best) but I imagine that it could feel like something that serves friendships and egos more than story. If it doesn't serve the story, it shouldn't be there

As it was... Like I said, I don't care. I don't know if the scene really added anything to the episode, and within the scene, the song seemed a bit awkward. However, I don't think that it was so distracting that it requires a lot of outrage.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Informant wrote:

As it was... Like I said, I don't care. I don't know if the scene really added anything to the episode, and within the scene, the song seemed a bit awkward. However, I don't think that it was so distracting that it requires a lot of outrage.

But they've had a handful of scenes exactly like that in several episodes.  Main characters are always running into people on the road to wherever and seeing what "common people" are talking about.  I think the purpose of the scene was to sorta humanize Arya, who had just slaughtered a room full of people.  I think it's going to pay dividends down the road.

The song was weird, but I didn't think twice about it.  Bands of people sang for entertainment back then.  Even the "it's new" line, while weird, I thought was kinda cool at the time because people would have to create new songs.  Even if Ed Sheeran was playing Edd Shee-ran, a songwriter....well, songwriters had to exist back then.  Maybe this was a guy who wanted to get into songs but was forced to do something else.

People just like to get outraged.

In other outrage news, I saw nothing on my twitter/facebook timeline indicating that *anyone* was upset about the Dr. Who casting.  I saw a *ton* of stuff on my twitter/facebook making fun of people who were outraged about the Dr. Who casting.

Are we just at a place socially where we assume that people are going to freak out about gender/race-swapping, and we're pre-emptively shaming them whether they actually complain or not?

Pretty much. The actress made a comment about people being afraid of her gender, and it just strikes me as an excuse. Now anyone who doesn't like her is sexist. But what about the people who didn't like Capaldi?

This is why I don't like gender/race swapping characters. The people doing it are obviously doing it to make a statement about being progressive or whatever, and they point fingers at anyone who doesn't fall in line. If she is a great Doctor, people will forget that they ever had doubts. If she's not, it's on the people making the show, not on the fans. The actress should have just said "I know this is a big, weird move. I understand people having doubts. If I do my job right, I will prove them wrong."

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

The song was weird, but I didn't think twice about it.  Bands of people sang for entertainment back then.

"Back then" when there were dragons and ice men who animate dead bodies?  lol

Westeros may look like medieval Earth, but it's not.  There are many differences, one of which is apparently the style of music minstrels play.

pilight wrote:

"Back then" when there were dragons and ice men who animate dead bodies?  lol

Westeros may look like medieval Earth, but it's not.  There are many differences, one of which is apparently the style of music minstrels play.

Ha, well, "back then" can also mean "in times when there wasn't anything else to do"

I only started following DOCTOR WHO in 2000 (with novels and audioplays) and I was against gender-swapping the Doctor from 2000 to 2014. In the last three years, however, the show has introduced the concept that Time Lords could change gender and successfully sold me on it.

First, DW introduced a mysterious new character named Missy, a manipulative woman who was collecting the consciousnesses of various deceased characters. Missy is revealed to be the Doctor's old enemy, the Master, renamed Missy after the last regeneration resulted in a female body. And the show demonstrated that Missy was still the Master, the core character was the same, just expressed differently in a new form, which is what regeneration's all about anyway.

Originally, I felt that the Doctor, regardless of being an alien, was conceived as a Victorian era scientist and all the Doctors, when written well, have been written as this original character albeit in a different body. As Steven Moffat says, there's only one Doctor but with multiple faces and you feel different when you've changed your clothes or even just your shoes, so imagine how you feel in a whole new body. But that body, and that personality, was that of a man; a man who liked to show off for young girls and be the older brother and father while occasionally being flirty. The Doctor's relationships with women always made me think of him as someone who would always self-identify as a man.

But then came the Master becoming Missy and the Master as a woman was simply the Master with a different body. There was also the first Capaldi episode where the Doctor's old friend, Vastra, remarked that the Doctor, as Matt Smith, would flirt with women, but it was a facade affected to be understood and accepted as something humans could comprehend, and the idea that flirting with women is essential to the Doctor is set aside when Capaldi tells Clara that he is not her boyfriend.

And then, "Hell Bent" had the recurring Time Lord, the General, regenerate into a woman at which point she remarked that her last incarnation was the only time she'd ever been a man and she was relieved to be free of the male ego. At this point, it became clear to me that the Doctor didn't necessarily have to be a man, that Time Lord characteristics even in male-female relationships could shift without being totally revised in a regeneration; the flirting with women was only a technique seen with Doctors 9 - 11 that Capaldi's Doctor had cast off.

So, at this point, DOCTOR WHO has set up the concept of Time Lord males becoming women, shown how Time Lord characterizations can adjust to female bodies, indicated that it's in no way unusual among them, and also had Capaldi declare that he can't actually remember if the First Doctor was a woman or not and that Gallifreyan civilization is beyond concern for gender differentiation. DOCTOR WHO has done all the work to earn this change for the Doctor and done it carefully, thoughtfully and had the process take place over the course of three seasons and anyone complaining that the show is just doing this randomly out of desperation for ratings has not been watching the show very closely.

Well of any gender/race-swapping, Dr. Who makes the most sense.  It's baked into the idea, and it's a good storytelling idea (particularly since this is The Doctor's first time as a woman).

I just haven't witnessed *anyone* complaining.  But I've seen a ton of people making fun of people who are complaining.  It's just weird to see the satire without the original source.

I think I see more people concerned over the motive for this move than the move itself.

If the driving force behind this decision is that the writers have story ideas that they want to explore, which are best served with a female Doctor, then I don't think most people would mind. However, if this is more along the lines of recent trends which want to tell us that gender is meaningless and men and women are all the same, and we must accept the female Doctor because #equality or whatever... that is just not a good way to approach any character.

Yeah, we've been told over the past few years that this is possible for Time Lords. However, a lot of people have a lot of issues with what's been done with the series, and it would be a mistake to assume that having them oppose this move would automatically make them sexist or whatever. The Doctor has always been a man, and the idea of gender swapping is relatively new in the grand scheme of things. Those who are purists might reject the concept, because it hadn't been established in the show's first half-century of existence.

I do disagree with the idea that the Doctor's flirting was all just a show. The Doctor had a thing for Rose, and a version of the Doctor eventually ended up going off to be with her. We also have the issue of River Song, whom the Doctor clearly loves in a romantic (though not necessarily sexual) way. Of course, having feelings for women (and no men that I can remember) isn't necessarily just a man thing, but it's always gone hand in hand with his being a male. So, will the new Doctor suddenly start developing similar feelings for men? Will she still be drawn to women?

The whole thing is a political minefield, but if they just keep their heads down and tell good stories rather than preach about gender fluidity or whatever, it probably won't matter much.

The Doctor changes personality in each regeneration.  That was established back when Patrick Troughton took over as the Second Doctor.  Changing sexual preference could easily be incorporated as part of that.

I think that ultimately the bigger concern is Chibnall as show runner.

With Moffat, we kind of had an idea of where he would go because of his stories during the Davies era.  Moffat was overall more focused on the big ideas with characters woven into that. 

With Chibnall, I think it's going back more to the overall flavor of the Davies era, and Chibnall will focus on characters first with big ideas secondary or even not present at all (such as his Torchwood episode which was simply the team vs human serial killers - a story that could have been on any generic drama).  And I think it's worth noting too that creators tend to use things they identify with; and given his involvement in Torchwood (I believe Chibnall was de facto show runner of season two), I feel confident we'll see Torchwood popping up again with possibly Captain Jack, Gwen and even Martha (who was part of season two).

In any case, I've been kind of spoiled on the big ideas of Moffat; and I don't really want to go backwards to the Davies years.  Personally, I believe it was the strong leads that carried Davies stories on their shoulders (Eccleston and especially Tennant).  If you remove Tennant's performance, many of those Davies era stories are pretty thin when you look at them through that lens.

So the question becomes, is Whittaker as an actor strong enough to carry the show on her back?  That could be what it comes down to; and it's a tall order.  We'll see; but to be honest, I'm thinking Ill use this as my jumping off point on the show.  I'm just not excited or interested by the casting choice, and it feels to me like an appeasement gimmick more than anything.  They think they're going to up their audience, and that's great.  I wish them well.

Does anyone here watch "The Strain"?  It's in its final season.  It's pretty good....but Zach is the worst character in the history of television.  I literally hate the show every time he's on.

Unfortunately, this is still the case..

Unfortunately, this is still the case..

Now it's completely offline.  Hope the great TF (http://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?id=121) brings it back.

I just saw an ad online for Godless on Netflix. The narrative on the ad sounded exactly like Adra from Other Slide Of Darkness. I had to look it up on IMDb to see if it was her, but that actresss doesn’t have any credits since 2001.

Good catch!

Does anyone watch Mr. Robot?  It's one of my favorite shows on TV right now - really engrossing stuff.  Wednesday's episode was presented as one long take, and it was spectacular.  I don't think anyone shoots TV exactly like Sam Esmail does.

I've been talking about the problems in Hollywood, in regards to child abuse and sexual harassment. It's nothing new, and I'm glad that it is being openly talked about now.

That said, it seems like every person in Hollywood is trying to be a part of some twisted trend, "bravely" telling stories about supposed sexual harassment that we aren't supposed to ask any questions about, lest we be branded enemies to all womankind.

There is a difference between bad behavior, smut talk, and sexual harassment. Being on different sets, and in normal real-world situations as well, I have heard all sorts of conversations that I wouldn't take part in because they're not my style and I find them vulgar. These comments were not exclusively from men, or toward women.

However, I'm a grown-up and I can move on with life without being scarred by smut talk.

The problem that Hollywood has is with genuine intimidation, threats, assaults, molestation, rape, etc. Very real problems. I find it distasteful that many people are trying to claim victim good for themselves and lump themselves in with real victims because they didn't like a dirty joke, or they heard a second-hand story about someone else having something inappropriate said to them.

Victimhood shouldn't be trendy.

150 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2017-11-17 19:12:32)

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Does anyone watch Mr. Robot?  It's one of my favorite shows on TV right now - really engrossing stuff.  Wednesday's episode was presented as one long take, and it was spectacular.  I don't think anyone shoots TV exactly like Sam Esmail does.

It's hard to say I "watch it" because its so dense, it really requires one's full attention to viewing it and taking it in.  So I really only watched the first season (binging it) but I've had the last couple of seasons on in the background sometimes while I'm doing other stuff, typically through on demand.  It's just so beautifully shot, I love the "surveillance" feel and the writing is always interesting even if you don't fully know what's going on.

I did have on that episode you mentioned on live though -- it reminded me a bit of the X-Files one they did on the ship. I actually think I recognized one of the locations (assuming this was shot in NY?) http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-135-ea … 42402.html

I tried a couple of Mr. Robot episodes, but it didn't grab me.

I'm starting to think that my brain is wired backwards. It seems like I don't like the things that everyone else loves, and I love the things that everyone else hates.

Yeah, it's a dense show, and the main character's bug eyes bother me.  But I think it's just so well done.

Question for anyone who watches Black Mirror:

What is your takeaway from the Christmas episode? How do you view the characters and their stories in the episode? My brother and I are having a disagreement about the intended purpose of the episode. I'd say more, but I don't want to sway the conversation. smile

I have a lot of catching up to do on Black Mirror.  If I catch it, I will let you know.

Informant wrote:

Question for anyone who watches Black Mirror:

What is your takeaway from the Christmas episode? How do you view the characters and their stories in the episode? My brother and I are having a disagreement about the intended purpose of the episode. I'd say more, but I don't want to sway the conversation. smile

The Christmas episode is my favorite.

I don't really know what you mean by your question, though.  I feel like the intended purpose is the same as every episode - technology drives us further away from each other, and the "god" of technology has his own, twisted version of justice.

Basically, the question is: How do you view the main characters in the episode, their situations, and the punishment that they face?

The disagreement is in how people are intended to perceive those elements. Is the justice just? Are the characters bad people? Stuff like that. I'll explain it a little bit more later.

It's been too long since I've seen it to get too specific.

I don't think Jon Hamm's character was a very good person, and I liked the way his punishment fit.  He's a good-looking, charming, and suave guy who can't use any of that anymore.  He used people to get by, and he can't do that anymore.  I know he ends up getting a guy killed, but I thought his treatment of the "cookie" was the most damning to his personality. 

The other dude....I can't remember if he kills his father in law on purpose or accidentally.  But I don't remember thinking his crime was unjust.

Okay, so the disagreement...

After watching the episode, my brother said that he didn't think that he could watch the rest of the series if that's what the show is like (he's never seen it before). I asked why, and he told me that different countries have fundamentally different views on what justice looks like. He wasn't comfortable with the way Jon Hamm's character was essentially branded like a pedophile because he whispered lines into a guy's ear, or the way the other guy (and his consciousness in the egg) was treated like a stone-cold killer for snapping, after years of having his mind messed with in the worst possible way. He was pretty much given a child, and then had that child taken away from him, all based on the whims of one woman and her technology.

While I agree with my brother that other countries have severe problems with justice and liberty, which many Americans don't notice because we assume that all civilized countries are like our own, I had a very different take on the episode. It might have come from the fact that I have seen the whole series and understand its themes, but I viewed the episode as a techno-horror story. When someone is able to push a button and block you from their world, or when people have the ability to control what information you're allowed to have access to about your own life, the world becomes a twisted and dark place. People become cold and inhuman, treating people the same way they treat tech, and treating tech no thought or care after working to make it believe that it's alive and can feel.

I certainly don't view Hamm's character as entirely sympathetic or good, but the sentence did not fit the crime (which was essentially just not reporting a crime). And the other guy, I actually did feel sympathy for. I think that he was forced to pay for someone else's misdeeds.

Basically, I viewed the episode as a campfire story about the world that we're creating. I didn't view the police in the episode as though they were intended to be the good guys.

My brother saw it as a reflection of the world that we live in, with the assumption that the show works like most shows, and that "justice" prevailed in the mind of the writers.

Informant wrote:

Basically, I viewed the episode as a campfire story about the world that we're creating. I didn't view the police in the episode as though they were intended to be the good guys.

I'm on your side.  I think it's definitely supposed to be a fear-based (or, at least, a hesitance-based) glance into what our future can be.  It's a "Black Mirror" into the world we envision with further technological advances.  There's only one episode (in season 3) that doesn't really operate that way (it has a positive ending), and only one episode really doesn't work the technology angle as much (the very first episode).

Wouldn't it be great if we could record everything that we see?  Yes!  Except it might drive us crazy and drive away the people in our lives.

Wouldn't it be great if we could preserve people we'd lost prematurely?  Yes!  Except it might creep us the hell out eventually.

Wouldn't it be great if we could punish people with (something technological)?  Yes!  Except it could be abused or lead to unforeseen consequences.

Exactly. It's taking what we already have with social media, and fast forwarding ten, twenty, or fifty years. (actually, this is technology, so maybe three years)

Ever since American Idol started, I've found it strange and disturbing how they can take someone who is a genuinely good singer, with a great personality, and put them through this machine that changes how they look and how they sing, until they are a more generic pop star. It was interesting to see the Black Mirror take on that reality show culture.

Still, I have to warn people that the first episode is possibly not the best one to watch first. Why would they open with that?! smile

The first episode is great in a lot of ways, but it's so much different from the rest of the episodes that it's a hard judge of anything.  I guess it's still focusing on technology in the sense that we're so distracted by the news and being grossed out or whatever....and that's what sets up the ending.  But, still, it doesn't even have the same "feel" that pretty much every other episode (even the 3rd season ones) has.

A lot of people didn't like the "bikes" episodes or a couple of the new Season 3 stuff, but I think every episode they've made so far has had merits of one kind or another.

I'd heard that season 3 was bad, so I was worried going in. I actually didn't dislike it. There was some good stuff in there. I think my least favorite of season 3 was "Men Against Fire". It had some interesting ideas (using technology to distance soldiers from the people they're killing), but it just didn't work for me.

That one might've been the weakest, but I still thought it had a lot of good things to say.  The end might've been a bit telegraphed, but I still thought it had a powerful message.

With Disney buying FOX, what does that mean for.....everything?  I know people are excited about Marvel, but what about the entire FOX network?  What about shows like the Simpsons and Gotham and the Orville and Brooklyn Nine-Nine and the FX shows?

Are these going away?  Some moved to ABC?  What's going to happen?

I haven't read the latest, but I think I once heard that the TV network wasn't part of the deal.

Maybe Gotham can move to the CW and be revealed to take place in Earth 2.

To he real about the whole thing... I don't like it. Disney has turned into a soulless plague that is starting to infect everything around it. They don't make good movies anymore. Their Network is a commercial for their movies, which are commercials for their merchandise. The company used to have passion and soul, but not anymore.

Yeah, the network isn't a part of the deal, but (I think) the TV studio is.  In reading a lot about the television side, the only way these shows make money is if they save money on studio costs (by owning the studio that makes the show).  That's why you always hear "XXXX might be on the cancellation block because they're owned by YYYY studio and so ZZZZ is a cheaper show to keep" at cancellation time.

In that case, *every* show would be owned by another studio since Fox would be a network without a studio.

From what I'm reading, Disney might be inclined to keep shows that work with their "brand" like The Gifted and shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy that are cheap and big moneymakers.  Maybe they could sell off something like Gotham to the CW, but I think that'd kill the feel of that show (you'd probably lose some of the cast and a great deal of the budget).

Apparently this deal might take a year or so to complete, and I feel like Gotham could be ending in the next couple of seasons.  Maybe Disney will let some FOX properties end on their own terms before changing directions.

My worry is about FX - it has produced a ton of stuff in recent years that I've loved, and I don't want Disney to dismantle it.

Legion will still benefit them, right? So I could see that show sticking around. The Americans is already ending (or over? I'm behind). So there's Fargo to think about, yeah. And I don't expect to see Sterling Archer walking around Disney World, taking pictures with kids.

It's a mess. It shouldn't be happening. It's going to end up sucking for us, either by seeing shows and movies canceled, or watching them turn to crap. You're right about Gotham. They'd probably have to move to Vancouver, which would kill the feel of the show, and probably cost them some actors along the way.

I don't like this. But whatever. Disney doesn't realize that it's pushing the industry closer to the end of the big studio system that has ruled the industry since it began. People don't need them anymore, and if all they're going to produce is hollow, soulless crap, they will go away.

Where does Gotham film, by the way?

Legion might benefit them, but it's so weird and out there.  I'd suspect, if they're going to reboot the X-Men, they're going to do things their own way and get rid of whatever Fox was doing.  Which sucks because FOX was actually, sorta, figuring out the X-Men universe.  Yeah, the "main" movies suck, but they're actually branching out and doing some cool stuff. Legion is a trippy drama, Deadpool was a crude comedy, Logan was a violent, gritty western, and the New Mutants is a horror movie.  Say what you want about some of the crap they've produced, but some of their new stuff could be moving the superhero genre in new directions.

Americans is done after this next season, and they've already talked about not doing more Fargo.  Existing shows will either wrap up or find a way to work with disney - what I'm more concerned about is the next idea.  Whether its American Horror Story, the OJ miniseries, Fargo, Legion, The Americans, The Shield, Always Sunny, The League, Sons of Anarchy, etc....FX has produced a ton of great TV.  It took chances on some weird concepts by some great artists, and it's paid off.  If Disney is going to kill it, something else needs to step in and take its place for shows that are great but a little out there.  AMC might get to take some of it, but they think they're pretty artsy.

Yeah, I honestly have no idea what to expect from Disney taking over FX. I think this whole deal is going to be a mess for anyone who enjoys quality TV or movies.

I believe that Gotham films in New York.

Anyone watched Black Mirror Season 4 yet?

I really liked it.  I found this year's stories to be less dark, especially the endings.  Even when there are episodes where people do really horrible things (episodes 1 and 3, for example), justice is served by the end.

Slight spoilers for the final episode - I'm really hoping that it takes place in some weird continuity and isn't actually an attempted to tie the whole series together.  To me, Black Mirror functions the best when they're showing us a different world each week.  I don't want it to be one universe and I don't want it to be our world.  Just close enough to scare us but just far enough away that we can steer away smile

I'm currently watching the season, so I'm not at the last ep yet. So far, it's been pretty interesting.

Did anyone catch the Psych Movie a few weeks ago? I just watched it, and I was impressed by how well they jumped back into the characters and the tone of the series. A lot of revivals have a hard time with that. They didn't skip a beat.

Psych is one of the shows I completely missed when it was on.  I've never seen more than 5 minutes of it.  Seems like something I'd like, but I've never seen it.

It's a great show. Mostly stand alone stories, so not a lot to keep up with.

I'm considering doing a YouTube channel or a podcast, discussing movies/TV/etc. (it could help me build a following for my own work, while discussing the things that I end up discussing anyway!) but I haven't been able to work out the details in my head. A name, or a format. My original plan was to just make videos with on-screen graphics and a voiceover. Then I figured that I could just do a podcast, which is the same thing, minus the graphics. Or I could do the podcast, but release it on YouTube with graphics.

But then I started thinking that rather than, say, one long discussion of Man of Steel (or whatever), I could break those long conversations down into more, much shorter episodes that discuss specific topics. The DCEU is probably good for a ton of episodes, so why limit it to five, right? But those shorter episodes would be better on YouTube than a podcast.

It'd probably be better to have a back and forth of some sort, but I'd be doing it solo, so I'd just have to do my best to express the other sides and try to address them in my own way.

But trying to figure out how to do all of this, and do it in a way that isn't totally hokie, has been driving me nuts. So it'll probably never happen. I'd do it all on a blog, but I've always had a hard time keeping up with a blog, along with all of my other writing.

I'm starting to think that I don't fit into this modern internet world. smile

The hospitals on American medical dramas really give our heathcare system a bad name. I'm trying to watch The Resident on Fox, but they're getting so much wrong. They're having their hospital violate many, many laws, all for the sake of making the healthcare system look bad and create drama.

Trust me when I say, hospitals are not typically this evil.

I will not watch THE RED PILL. I will not watch any more PROJECT VERITAS videos. I will not read any more Ben Shapiro.

................................................. but I will watch and read and listen to and buy anything Informant produces. God damn it.

Loyalty can be a terrible thing.

I do appreciate it!

My stuff isn't usually that political, if that helps at all. Freedom/Hate has some politics, I guess, but it's more about an alternate history/what-if story than it is about hardcore political commentary. Half of the stuff that seems really current is based on things that happened in other countries in the past smile

But yeah, if I do any sort of podcast or YouTube channel, it will be more like my posts here where I review/discuss shows and movies, and writing, but probably not too much by way of politics.

And I think most of my ideas for upcoming writing projects are non-political. I have one book that I wrote years ago that I need to get out, but that takes place in the past, so you should be safe. smile

And... that's it. The world is officially over. Goodnight, everyone. We don't deserve life anymore.

https://youtu.be/doFpACkiZ2Q

I was just reading about the new Death Wish movie, since I remember my father watching the old series of movies when I was a kid. So I checked out the Rotten Tomatoes page, and the difference between the critics reaction and the audience reaction is pretty hilarious. 14% critic score, 85% audience score. So the question remains, what is the point of a critic is they can't relate to the audience?

Informant wrote:

I was just reading about the new Death Wish movie, since I remember my father watching the old series of movies when I was a kid. So I checked out the Rotten Tomatoes page, and the difference between the critics reaction and the audience reaction is pretty hilarious. 14% critic score, 85% audience score. So the question remains, what is the point of a critic is they can't relate to the audience?

The audience is self selecting, they go in already liking the kind of film it is.  Most critics try to compare films with others from different genres and styles, to weigh whether a film-goer who doesn't have a predilection for the kind of film it is would enjoy it.

As for Death Wish, the original and all its sequels were awful and wholly undermined the theme of the book.  I imagine the remake will be in a similar vein.