Re: Arrow / The Flash / Supergirl by Informant

I don't see the problem. Erica Durance and Laura Benanti have very similar builds and if they match Erica's hair to the Season 1 Alura look, it'll work. Erica's aged visibly since SMALLVILLE which should make her look more mother than the teen idol she was as Lois. I think they need Alura or Astra in flashbacks to explain the backstory of the new Kryptonian villain.

My concern is that Erica seems incapable of playing characters who aren't sardonic, self-aware goofballs like herself. When she tried playing the regal and elegant Isis, it was embarrassing. Her attempt to do an Allison Mack impression in a body switch episode was an insult to Allison. Erica is a wonderful performer of her natural persona, but I don't feel she can disappear into a character.

The problem that I'm having with this news is that the audience today is a lot more advanced than they were 40 years ago. On the one hand, this means that people will generally understand that these are TV shows and they'll roll with some punches (Superman appearing on TV and in films, played by two different actors, in stories that are completely unrelated to each other). On the other hand, it means that you really can't pull off a recasting without it being a brutal and jarring transition.

Casting Erica Durance on Supergirl at all is a nice way to show respect to what came before, but it will also have people thinking about Smallville and her Lois Lane nonstop. It would be hard for her to disappear into any role on that show, but it could probably happen over time. In theory. Personally, I think she's still a little too close to the Superman world right now, but that's just me.

Now, using Erica Durance for such a major recast is like a four car pileup of distractions that can't possibly help sell the story. It's like the producers created a diagram of just how rough they could make the transition for this character, and made sure to hit each point.

The thing is, they don't need Alura or Astra. I know that it was probably their ideal situation, but it couldn't work out, and no matter what they were planning, they could have gone another way. Focus on Kara's father this year. Or bring in Lara instead of Astra. Or have Clark convey the story. Or... whatever. This isn't a train that had already left the station and couldn't be rerouted. It was a train that they knew was heading for incomplete tracks, but they decided to go with it anyway. And this is a symptom of a much larger problem with the series, which is why I can't watch it anymore. They don't care about building a world or telling a story. They're not taking any of it seriously. They're delivering some half-assed garbage week after week, which has more in common with a bad Saturday morning superhero series from the late 80's than it does with a primetime superhero series today.

They have access to great, iconic characters that most writers would kill to work with, and they don't even give a damn. It's irritating.

But I'm already done with the show. There's an alternate version in my head, which I hear is going to cross over with The Flash for a musical. It's going to be epic... but still in my head. smile

Informant wrote:

The problem that I'm having with this news is that the audience today is a lot more advanced than they were 40 years ago. On the one hand, this means that people will generally understand that these are TV shows and they'll roll with some punches (Superman appearing on TV and in films, played by two different actors, in stories that are completely unrelated to each other). On the other hand, it means that you really can't pull off a recasting without it being a brutal and jarring transition.

See, I'm partially this.  I don't think I have any visual memory of the previous actress.  So they could've gone out in Vancouver or LA and found a handful of obscure actresses who could've played the part, and I might not have noticed.  By picking an actress that I recognize, they're going to make the change noticeable.  That's the only thing that's weird about it for me.

I don't know if Erica warrants a season-long role as a major villain, but she could play a guest villain (the way fellow Smallville alum Laura Vandervoort played Indigo).  Someone new that she could make her own.

As much as I hate the writing on the show, part of me would love to see Erica's Lois Lane sparring with Calista Flockhart's Cat Grant.

The other option could be that Durance is playing a younger Alura and Astra and they'll use makeup to take a decade off her face.

706 (edited by Informant 2017-07-11 21:26:35)

Semi-related note:

Remember how I mentioned that I was playing around with a Supergirl pilot script because there were times when I was sitting around and I was bored? It started on my phone, but moved to my computer as I was working on other stuff. I dropped it for a while, because I had other life stuff going on, but I picked it back up within the past week or two because I had some free time.

My little dinky pilot project that was just for fun is now at 86 pages (and counting). I think I've taken this too far. smile

http://www.superherohype.com/news/40310 … ard-dragon

Arrow has added two pretty great genre actors as villains - Kirk Acevedo and LOST's Michael Emerson.  I'm pretty psyched.

Don't know how many episodes they've got planned for Legends season three, but a regular season order could see Professor Stein absent from the last half:

http://deadline.com/2017/09/bernadette- … 202162008/

I guess they could potentially get around it by having Firestorm stuck in hero mode and Garber phoning in voice overs.

I doubt they'll be having a full season, with all of the shows that the CW has for midseason. Garber has been on a number of other shows during his time on Legends, so he probably has a flexible schedule built into his contract. Legends is what he does for money in between real jobs.

Legends usually does less than a full order, but they could also have someone "kidnap" Stein and force Jackson to be a "hero without his powers" for an extended period.

Or, like they did with Robbie Amell, they could simply transfer the other half of Firestorm to a new character and kill Stein off.