Re: Status Updates!

I usually keep the GPS and Bluetooth disengaged on my phone. It saves battery. But I've locked the  CPU base speed now. As a result, the battery drain doesn't seem terribly severe at all. Three hours on data with full GPS and the Bluetooth connected to both my smartwatch and earbuds and the battery only went down 10 per cent.

FWIW, I was in the Toronto airport on Saturday morning, heading to the Fan Expo downtown, and spotted Jerry O'Connell there reading a script!  Briefly said hello and exchanged pleasantries.  A lot of science fiction is shot there now, so he could be popping up in something soon....

Grizzlor wrote:

FWIW, I was in the Toronto airport on Saturday morning

Don't be coy - you were in town to film Ib's fan fiction extravaganza "SLIDERMAN"

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

Grizzlor wrote:

FWIW, I was in the Toronto airport on Saturday morning, heading to the Fan Expo downtown, and spotted Jerry O'Connell there reading a script!  Briefly said hello and exchanged pleasantries.  A lot of science fiction is shot there now, so he could be popping up in something soon....

That's cool. He films in North Bay, Ontario (for a new series Carter), and I think he commutes back home every weekend, so he's probably in the airport quite a bit.  Did he remember your encounter with him at all for the broadway show? (Once Upon a Sandwich or something?)

Transmodiar wrote:
Grizzlor wrote:

FWIW, I was in the Toronto airport on Saturday morning

Don't be coy - you were in town to film Ib's fan fiction extravaganza "SLIDERMAN"

NEVER!  Only in Vancouver!

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:
Grizzlor wrote:

That's cool. He films in North Bay, Ontario (for a new series Carter), and I think he commutes back home every weekend, so he's probably in the airport quite a bit.  Did he remember your encounter with him at all for the broadway show? (Once Upon a Sandwich or something?)

Ohhhh, I didn't know he was on a new show.  Didn't remember me, he meets thousands of people I'm sure.

Grizzlor wrote:

Ohhhh, I didn't know he was on a new show.  Didn't remember me, he meets thousands of people I'm sure.

A guy with a Sliders t-shirt outside a broadway show?  Seems pretty memorable to me smile  Although you are right, he does meet a ton of folks. 

Carter is a series from Sony that went into production for their international TV channel. It actually got picked up by Bravo not long after. It's a different sort of thing for Bravo to do but Jerry got a lot of exposure and interest from his Live with Kelly gigs, and Andy Cohen seems to love him, so I guess they are taking a chance on it for him.

I've been reading up on the new IPhone X, just to see what they're doing with it. Everyone is referring to it as being completely bezel-less. What am I missing here? The design is fine. It seems like something that Apple fans will like. I think it's cheating to include the notch in the official screen size (that whole section of the screen is now useless for everything except battery status, wifi, etc. It isn't a functional part of the display), but that's just me.

However... The phone has a pretty substantial bezel. It is far from being the bezel-less wonder that some are reporting... It looks like it already has a case on it! Like I said, I'm sure Apple users will love the phone. It's fine. But are we all supposed to pretend that we don't see the bezel?

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/

I dunno what Apple thinks they're getting away with in claiming that this thick-framed phone has no bezel.

I continue to be happy with my Moto G4 on Nougat, which stood in for my DSLR camera last week due to a crisis and acquitted itself rather well. That said, if the Samsung A5 ever drops to a much lower price...

Yeah, I've managed to get some really solid photos on my S4's camera too. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with a newer camera (and the ability to shoot RAW is nice too). My brother and his wife sometimes get a photographer to take pics of their kids, and they're all nice and well shot, but since I know the kids, they look really staged to me most of the time. Whenever I'm spending a lot of time with the kids, I take a lot of pictures (I'm trying to cut back because it annoys them), and their house has really nice lighting in a couple of the rooms, at different times of day. So I get some really, really nice pictures of the kids that have the benefits of the lighting and framing of a portrait, but with the bonus of just whipping out my phone and taking the picture. When I have the DSLR out, the kids just aren't as natural, because it's a big camera.

Okay, so because I have a back injury that's kept me from sitting at a desk and working too much, and a knee injury that's kept me from moving around too much, I've been doing a lot of research on the new iphone since it was announced, and I have to say... it seems like a scam to me. It's obviously the product of a need to update their approach to phones, but failing to meet their deadlines to do so. The result is just weird.

To start with, the display. It is an update, because it's their first OLED display (!!!). However, it is a 5.8 (ish) display, with 458 ppi. For what is considered a huge player in the smartphone field, this is pretty low. To compare, the 5.8 inch (legitimately) Galaxy S8 comes in at 570 ppi. This means that the lines on the S8 are going to be much cleaner. Since you use a Moto G4, I'll add that here as well. It comes in at 401 ppi.

In terms of brightness, the phone comes in at 625 nits. The Moto G4 comes in at 463 nits (based on the info I could find, which is a bit harder than with my two other samples). Now, 625 isn't bad for a phone in general, however, the Galaxy S8 comes in at over 1000 nits, and the Note 8 beats at at 1,200 nits. This means that the Galaxy phones will be much easier to use in direct sunlight.

When it comes to RAM, I think the iPhone will comes with 3GB. The G4 has 2GB. The Galaxy S8 has 4GB, and the Note 8 has 6GB.

In terms of processors, I really don't know how the iPhones function in day to day life, since I don't use one. I imagine that they are solid. This is one area where the iPhone X is supposed to beat out the competition by quite a bit. I'm going to assume that the iPhone is the winner here, though I am having a hard time quickly finding exact numbers right now, possibly because the phone isn't in use yet.

The iPhone X is making a few claims. We've discussed the bezel-less thing, so I won't go there. They're promoting their new Face ID as the replacement for fingerprint scanners. This feature failed on stage during the presentation. Apple tried to gloss over it and explain it away, but it really just failed on stage. That's a problem. The phone was supposed to have a fingerprint scanner, so their failure to put one in there wasn't about innovation, it was about failing to achieve what they were hoping for, and not wanting to get the same kind of crap that Samsung got when they put the scanner on the back of their phones. The lack of a fingerprint scanner is a mistake in every way. The phone also lacks an iris scanner, so the only options are passcode and Face ID.

The notch on top is also worse than I thought it would be. I've heard rumors that they wanted to have all of those scanners and cameras behind the display, so you couldn't see them at all. This makes sense, but is obviously hard to achieve. So... the notch. Now, originally, I thought that they wouldn't use that part of the display most of the time, while watching videos, etc. However, it now seems like the default setting would use the notched-off section of the screen, resulting in a notched-off video, pictures, etc. They're basically putting a thumb over the lens of everything their users look at.

Fast charging! Yay! Except you have to buy both the cord and the power brick separately, increasing the price of your phone significantly. They also have wireless charging now... but their overpriced charger won't be available for a while.

Still no return of the headphone jack, because the refuse to acknowledge any mistake that they've ever made.

In terms of water/dust resistance, the iPhone has an ip67 rating, which means that it can last in 1 meter (3.2 feet) of water for about 30 minutes. Most current smartphones have an ip68 rating, which means that they can last 30 minutes in 1.5 (4.9 feet) meters of water. I probably won't go swimming with my phone, so I don't know if there's a huge difference here for me, but it might mean something to others.

The 64GB base version of the iPhone X is going to sell for $999, with the 256GB costing $1,149. The S8 is available (unlocked) for $724. The Note 8 is available (unlocked) for $929. You also get the fast charger with those phones, and usually some sort of bonus gift like Gear VR or a 360 camera. To take advantage of fast charging on an iPhone, you'd need to pay another $75.

All of the currently Galaxy phones have the option of expanding storage with an SD card, up to an additional 256GB.

The iPhone X is certainly priced as a high-end beast of a phone, but it doesn't come close to the level of the similarly-priced Note 8 in most respects. The Note 8 is supposed to be used as a tool, for work, etc. I don't think the iPhone X is that type of phone. One of it's biggest features is the ability to make yourself into an animated poop emoji. In terms of size and function, the X is more comparable to the Galaxy S8 (no bloody Plus, no bloody Note...), but it's littered with missteps and bad decisions.

The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are improperly named (they should be the 7s and 7s Plus, while the X should be the 8), but they are probably the better bang for your buck when it comes to iPhones this year. Even in those cases, it's not worth upgrading if you already have an iPhone 7, since a lot of those phones have remained the same.

So there you go. I've put far too much time into researching a line of phones that I have never and will never have an interest in using. I wish I could work. sad

In other news, it's possibly that Samsung will release their foldable screen on the next Note! I've been waiting years for the phone that can expand into a tablet! Unfortunately, I'm going to be upgrading a year too soon for that one. Oh well. I guess it'll be first gen anyway, so I'll get to wait until the tech is proven a bit more.

this sort of stuff sickens me so much
https://theintercept.com/2017/09/25/tex … execution/