Topic: Quantum Leap Video / Anyone else notice...

I just noticed Netflix is streaming the show in HD. Wouldn't this bode well for a Sliders HD, I mean surely it couldn't do it any harm. If the special effects were done in standard then of course it further complicates the situation. I just find it amazing they took the time for a Quantum Leap HD. Thoughts?

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

Re: Quantum Leap Video / Anyone else notice...

Interesting. I will have to check that out.

It would be nice if they went through their catalog and freshened up some of their old shows. Sliders is a show that still gets plenty of mentions, so it should be on their radar.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Is it actually in HD? Or is it just a standard definition image that's being played at 720p/1080p?

I have a few blu-rays where it's just a 480p image that's been stretched to a 1080p resolution with a bit of sharpening and recolouring. The image quality is acceptable, but it's like an upscaled DVD. I watch SLIDERS on my HDTV with Cyberlink PowerDVD's HD upscaling.

The software 'smart-stretches' the 4:3 image into 16:9 by stretching the sides of the picture and zooming in slightly so the image doesn't look distorted. The software also ups the pixel contrast slightly so that edges are more jagged and there's more grain on textures. It creates the illusion of slightly more detail by 'roughening' the picture. And the image has a slightly lower-contrast, not distractingly so, but enough to diminish the flaws in the sharpening. It's not actually HD, though. It's just that playing the DVD without the enhancements would offer a slightly blurrier, pillarboxed image while the enhancements make the video letterboxed and moves it from somewhat inadequate to mostly adequate.

Watching an upscaled SLIDERS on a laptop is a pretty ugly experience, but it looks good if watching it in a living room where you're sitting back from the screen.

Also, it looks good in motion, but the screencaps look ugly. All the jagged edges from the sharpening are just ugly.

4 (edited by Jim_Hall 2015-10-18 16:20:01)

Netflix lists it as 'HD' but of course anyone would have to take that with a grain of salt. If someone is more familiar with the show and at least has the DVDs and could do a comparison on Netflix that would help. But I'd be willing to put my money where my mouth is and say this is a true HD transfer. It is in a 4:3 format. I keep trying to tell my followers on Twitter to email Universal to do a blu ray, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility, especially after seeing this Quantum Leap transfer.

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

Just a heads up Quantum Leap and Seaquest DSV Season 1 are being released to blu ray in Australia. Of all things DSV? Surely there is still hope for Sliders.

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog