951 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2018-11-01 13:11:00)

Re: Arrow / The Flash / Supergirl by Informant

I'm honestly a little shocked that doesn't seem to be much, if any, conversations between the writing staffs.  Based on their twitter presence, it seems like the shows get along.  But there are many, many times when these shows don't seem to be connected.

I understand not sacrificing quality in terms of a "shared universe", and I understand that's something that these shows have to tread carefully.  This is 80-something episodes a year, and it's a much more daunting task than something like the MCU or the DCEU.  But you're right, there are weird re-treading that the writers have done.  There's also been a distinct drop in the number of overlaps on the show.  I get that they use a lot of resources to do the crossover, and that they want that to feel special.  So if Cisco visited Team Arrow a couple times a season, it wouldn't feel as special when he gets to interact in the crossover.

I always liked those little mini-crossovers, though.  When Diggle would show up on Flash because they needed help from Argus, it was cool.  And I loved Diggle's wonder at what Barry can do.  I get that having Barry makes Team Arrow's job seem a bit redundant, but it boggles my mind that Barry doesn't help more when Oliver is out of commission.  Or Wally.  Or even someone like Cisco or Ralph.

There didn't seem to be many ripples for Team Flash when Oliver was arrested.  I guess the FBI is cool with vigilantes as long as they don't kill?

I get that they want their shows to be their shows.  And maybe its a coincidence that both Barry and Oliver have been to jail.  And that they have future kids interacting on the show.  But it might just be both shows running out of steam at the same time.

We have both of their adult children from the future (and I have to think that if grown William doesn't have some relevance to the current story, it's a HUGE waste of air time).

I don't think flash forwards are a waste of time.  If a decision that Oliver and Felicity makes in the present affects the future, it's cool to see the ripple effects of that.  It could even hypothetically impact what's happening on Flash, since William's story is taking place pretty close to Nora's time, I think?

Speaking of Arrow, the Level 2 stuff could get pretty interesting.  I like that they've had some early season bad guys in prison so far.  I'm hoping to see some bigger names and badder bad guys on Level 2 (and maybe Level 3?).  I'm still hoping for a Supermax situation, especially if they can't do the Suicide Squad.

Although ireactions might know - apparently Lyla disbanded Task Force X when she took over for Amanda Waller?  It's in some comic?  I saw a passing reference to that online.

Team Flash didn't even seem to know that Oliver is in prison. They were wondering about getting his help with Cicada earlier this season.

I believe that Nora is from 30 years in the future, while William is 20. So it doesn't appear to be any sort of joint story.

Is Nora from that far out?  I guess, like ireactions, I'm confused on what Nora's age is.

Did Team Flash say that Oliver couldn't help, or that future Oliver did face him and didn't win?  I remember the latter but not the former.

(I watch a lot of these shows while I'm on my phone big_smile)

Nora told Team Flash that Green Arrow couldn't defeat Cicada, so they decided not to go to Green Arrow. There was no discussion about him being in prison.

I think Nora is 25 years old-ish, from 30 years in the future, but she acts like she's 16. It's all messed up.

The Flash costume... well, they're lighting it a lot better than they were in the first two episodes of Season 5. It's a bit darker. However -- and this is driving me crazy -- the cut of the cowl at the neck-chin line has not been correctly sized for Grant Gustin's body, and it keeps rolling up or hanging loose, and it doesn't suit a character who should have a very clean, streamlined design. And part of this is because they lost the chinstrap and the secure hold it had on Gustin's face.

So, when Dinah was lying insensate on the ground and there was a close-up of a bad guy approaching her with a murder implement, I totally assumed we would cut away to another sequence and we'd next see Dinah wandering into the police precinct making reference to an offscreen rescue from ARGUS.

Is anyone as bemused as I am by Ray Palmer’s character trajectory from aloof, distantly mysterious scientist on ARROW to hapless, awkward goofball on LEGENDS?

The characterization on Legends has always weirded me out.  As Informant has ranted about before, I don't think there's a huge connection between Sara on Arrow and Sara on Legends.  And with Ray, he does seem to be super awkward most of the time.  He's arguably the biggest actor on the show (he did play *Superman* in a movie), and yet I don't know if the show uses him that often.  I was surprised that they even had him in the Atom suit a couple episodes ago.

Legends could/should be a show where under-utilized characters on the other shows get a chance to stretch their wings.  It's why Wally on the team made so much sense.  It's why it might be a good place for Guardian or someone like Curtis or Black Siren or Killer Frost or Elongated Man.

But if they're just going to take characters that exist and make them into something wholly different from what they were on the show they came from, they might be better off creating their own characters (which is what, for the most part, they've done since season 1).

Hey, if they move Black Siren to Legends, there will be nothing left for me to be entertained by on Arrow. I could write numerous fanfic stories about the tiny nose ring that she feels a need to wear whenever she goes all Siren-y this season.

Well, I'm just saying that Legends could be used as a vehicle to showcase her more.  Then return her to Arrow as a hero.

Although I love that the writers of Arrow think that Laurel, with zero experience, could simply work really hard and be a competent district attorney.  I know most of these writers don't understand how 95% of jobs out there work, but she doesn't have any knowledge of the law.  She'd have to work day and night for years to get where she is.  It might've been a stretch for *original* Laurel to get that job.

Oh and I have a theory about the flash forwards - they're taking place in Earth 2.

I was just talking about this with someone, and Legends really isn’t a DC show anymore.  To use this season so far, there is so much DC lore they could be pulling from to populate this magic story:

The Demons Three - Justice League level villains which include their own quest element with the bell, wheel and jar artifacts used to summon and banish them.

Nebiros - the Demon connected to the origin of Blue Devil - a stunt man who becomes magically fused with his animatronic movie costume.

Neron - DC’s version of Satan who focused on offering villains power ups to encourage them to be evil again - a perfect story for Mick Rory to take part in.

Mordru - the timeless Lord of Chaos with a strong connection to the Justice society, the Legion of Super-Heroes and Gemworld (featuring the hero Amethyst).

That’s just off the top of my head.  There is so much they could be doing, but instead we’re getting unicorns and fairy god mothers. At this point, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has as much claim of being a DC show as Legends does.

TemporalFlux wrote:

I was just talking about this with someone, and Legends really isn’t a DC show anymore.

Did anyone else read this and get jealous? Like -- TF is talking to someone about LEGENDS? Someone who isn't US? Who!? Where!? When!?!? Why weren't WE included!??! Oh, wait, we are being included. Okay. Carry on.

ireactions wrote:
TemporalFlux wrote:

I was just talking about this with someone, and Legends really isn’t a DC show anymore.

Did anyone else read this and get jealous? Like -- TF is talking to someone about LEGENDS? Someone who isn't US? Who!? Where!? When!?!? Why weren't WE included!??! Oh, wait, we are being included. Okay. Carry on.

lol

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

ireactions wrote:
TemporalFlux wrote:

Well, he is a guy who dresses up as the Ted Kord Blue Beetle in his spare time, so...

This conversation has taken a weird turn.

I really enjoy LEGENDS because of the cast, and Ray Palmer is my favourite character on the show. I think Brandon Routh is great. What follows is armchair psychoanalysis regarding Brandon Routh, the way I theorized as to Jerry O'Connell and David Peckinpah and James Gunn's inner thinking. It's theory. Don't take it seriously. I said don't take it seriously. Why are you taking it seriously? Stop taking it seriously!

Ray Palmer's character on LEGENDS is one of the high points for me, but there's clearly been a shift from ARROW with Ray almost a different character. Yet, Ray's character rings true for me because of Brandon Routh's performance. Acting isn't about pretending; it's about finding your truth and presenting it in a fictional context, and Ray's trajectory mirrors Routh's.

Routh started out as a jobbing actor who worked on soap operas and tended bar and sometimes played bartenders in soap operas before getting laid off soap operas and just being a bartender. Due to auditioning for shows produced by McG, he managed to get an audition for McG's SUPERMAN and the audition videos were kept when Warner Bros. went with another director. Routh was cast as Superman, his career going from zero to blockbuster. 

The resulting movie was trounced at box office by romcoms and pirate movies. But Routh was told he'd be in a sequel; the movie had done adequately. Then three years passed, his contract expired and Warner Bros. made no move to renew it and now clearly planned to move on from him.

Routh was quietly shattered by this: he had expected the next decade of his life to be acting as the custodian of Christopher Reeve's legacy. He'd thought, at least, that playing Superman would lead to many other offers. But he didn't get any other offers.

He had to go auditioning again and he confessed in a podcast that he was embarrassed at going from playing Superman to TV guest star roles. Routh was depressed, it affected his work. Looking at his acting, it's like he was afraid to make strong, individual choices that might offend anyone and cost him another job (even though he couldn't have done anything differently to see SUPERMAN RETURNS get a sequel). 

You can see an anxiety-depression complex in his work on CHUCK and in ARROW's third season: he's earnest and sincere, but it's the only note he hits, making his characterization wooden. He's afraid to embrace the words and make them his own. He's also extremely low energy; he's not enthusiastic, he isn't impassioned. In real life, Routh was tired; onscreen in ARROW, it came off as Ray being a detached, distant, mysterious scientist, haunted by the murder of his fiancee. At the end of Season 3, he went missing and Season 4 revealed that he'd been trapped in isolation for months.

This led to LEGENDS where Routh's performance suddenly changed, as did Ray. Stepping aboard the Wave Rider, Ray became hyperactively enthused about time travel, adventure and superheroics, diving into situations impulsively and constantly making bad situations worse before learning to make them better. 

His high energy was an irritant to the team; his screwups every week led to Reddit starting what the community termed a "Fuckup Counter" for Ray. He was a handsome hero who made a lot of mistakes and he had to struggle and persevere to triumph and needed a lot of help from his friends. He had no ego; he always accepted responsibility for his errors and took his spot on the chore wheel. It's hard to imagine the suit and tuxedo Ray of ARROW doing laundry on LEGENDS. 

Onscreen, there was no direct explanation for this change, although Routh's performance suggested that Ray's months of isolation had caused him to regress to a more childish state. After all, the ATOM suit had proven to be a damp squib in the tech community; he'd come to rebuild Star City only for it to carry on without him. All this had eroded Ray's previous superiority complex. 

The result is a character I find deeply endearing: an excitable, charmingly earnest and sweet manchild who screws up. A former mogul who's been cut down to size and accepts his diminished stature with a mix of humiliation and grace. And a vastly improved performance from Brandon Routh who has embraced this flawed and lovable character with gusto. Routh is a lifelong gamer and fantasy fan, and he really sold Ray's joy at seeing dinosaurs and the Wild West and the 60s and space.

The real reason Ray Palmer changed, however, is that Brandon Routh changed. By the time LEGENDS started, his son was two years old and Routh realized that his depression over Superman was affecting his family life and career. He accepted that he had to audition for roles; he wouldn't be offered leading parts based on SUPERMAN RETURNS. He came to grips with how he would never play Superman again and he would have to find some other life-defining character to play. He understood that becoming Superman had meant skipping over guest-roles, supporting roles and roles as part of ensembles -- roles he would have to not only accept but embrace to rebuild his career.

As he emerged from his depression, Routh also became obsessed with nutrition, discovering the peculiar beverage that is "Bulletproof Coffee," a grammatically curious name for a combination of grass-fed butter and coconut oil into coffee from mold-free beans as well as a high-protein and fat diet with low carb intake. Routh's physical health went on the upswing, his energy levels ramped up significantly and the once withdrawn and quiet Routh became a manic chatterbox. The LEGENDS writers proceeded to rewrite Ray with Routh's new hypercaffeinated personality.

In real life, Routh is known to never shut up about Bulletproof Coffee leading to the Season 3 joke where Nate only realizes Ray's been kidnapped after a morning has passed without Ray espousing the benefits of this beverage.

Ray Palmer in the third season of ARROW was a deeply depressed person over the death of his fiance just as Brandon Routh was quietly miserable for years over losing his franchise. Depression doesn't always manifest in binge drinking (Jerry O'Connell) or ugly rape jokes (James Gunn) or self-detruction (David Peckinpah). Sometimes, it's just low energy, low enthusiasm, and a low sense of self-worth. And then there's the gleeful joy of a new begnning; just as Routh accepted his career had taken a backwards, Ray became a less mature but happier figure on LEGENDS and took a new path forward.

There's a really strong moment in Season 2 where Ray has to destroy the ATOM suit to save the day and he's trying to help Nate trigger his powers. Ray agonizes that by destroying the suit, he is destroying the only thing that makes him special -- a moment that Routh played with such heartfelt grief and loss, undoubtedly drawing on how it felt when Warner Bros. let his Superman contract expire.

There's also Season 3 opening with Ray, off the Wave Rider, working as an intern at a dating site and being mocked for having once been a big shot in tech. It isn't remotely realistic; Ray Palmer would have still had his profits and savings. But it's *true* -- that is how Routh felt auditioning to play Cop #3 characters after he'd played Superman. 

And that's why I really like Ray Palmer on LEGENDS. Ray is a man who, in losing his fiancee and his company and then the ATOM suit, lost what gave his life meaning, just as Brandon Routh lost what gave him purpose and reason for being when he lost the Superman role. And both men had to rebuild themselves and create new lives. Yes, there are some breaks with strict character continuity, but this character rings true because it's Brandon Routh's truth.

I will never stop being fascinated by ireactions' ability to see so much beauty in something like Ray Palmer.  But that's a really interesting story, and it makes a whole lot of sense.  What podcast did you get all this from?

Also, what is grass-fed butter?

Grass-fed butter means that the cows were grass fed. They usually recommend Kerrygold, which is Irish, I think. It's available everywhere and it's pretty good butter (when I first tried it, I thought it tasted almost like cheese, but I could have been having an off day).

I will admit, I tried a version of the bulletproof coffee because Routh talked about it so glowingly. I didn't spend the billion dollars on the actual brand, or the expensive coffee, but I did some research and tried to figure out how much was legit science and how much was them trying to get people to buy their specific products. Then I tried it for a while...

For me, it was gross. Putting both butter and MCT oil in the coffee was disgusting. Then it became too frothy when I blended it up, so the texture was just greasy froth, and it made me gag. There's some legit science behind the oils and all of that, but I couldn't do it. And while I tried to gag it down for a while, to see if it would give me more energy over time, and make me feel like sunshine and rainbows, it didn't really do that for me.

Maybe there's something to the name brand that I couldn't get in my version. But spending that much money on coffee would probably only make me more depressed. smile

If you want to try a super basic version of it, to get the idea, just put two tablespoons of Kerrygold butter and a couple tablespoons of unrefined coconut oil in your coffee, and blend it all together. The coconut oil isn't quite the same as pure MCT oil, but it's along the same lines.

Now I feel bad for not being able to watch Legends. Despite not liking Superman Returns, I have always gotten the impression that Routh was a good guy and there was no reason for him to not have more success (except he was tied to a horrible movie, which seems to have killed a few careers, especially since the director and one of the stars are tied to some gross sexual crime stuff). I just feel like Routh has been really let down by the writing. He came in on a weak season of Arrow, and then things got even worse with Legends. It's not his fault at all. Just like it's not Caity Lotz's fault that they ruined Sara.

As TF pointed out, Legends doesn't seem like a DC show at all. As I've said before, I get the impression that the Arrowverse writers, for the most part, have no interest in the source material, iconic characters or comic book history. Legends is the worst offender with that, aside from a few times when Arrow writers basically insulted any comic book fans who wanted to see more Green Arrow influence on Arrow.

It's frustrating when there are elements of a project that I really want to enjoy and support, but other elements that make it impossible.

This is the podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW5jbG1Ydcc -- although I downloaded it as an MP3 using the y2mate.com YouTube to audio site.

I think combining fat and caffeine is a pretty effective way to start the day. The typical American diet is overly dependent on carbohydrates and sugar which are taxing to break down for energy with most of it being stored as fat whereas fat can be burned more directly for fuel (which is why high fat, low carb diets tend to work for weight loss). That said, I dunno that it HAS to be Bulletproof's products -- I just dissolve unsalted no name brand butter in my grocery store brand coffee. It works!

Maybe it'd be better with just the butter, since that's kinda like putting cream in coffee. The oil and butter together was just too much for me. It could have been the brand that I was using, or something like that. Coconut oil would probably be nicer, with the coconut flavor (still present in unrefined oil, but not in the refined oil)

In theory, I can see how it would work. Like you said, it would be used for energy pretty easily. For me, it just didn't do much. I might be a difficult case though. I'm always tired and drained. I'd love a solution that gave me tons of energy and focus.

That sounded like I'm in the market for drugs. I'm not. smile

https://www.superherohype.com/news/4273 … ver-teaser
https://www.superherohype.com/news/4274 … ver-teaser

Spoilers for the crossover if anyone cares (and I don't think anyone does).

So that's a little disappointing.  I was hoping that we'd be fully immersed in a "what if?" scenario where Barry grew up and became the Green Arrow and Oliver got the Flash powers.  I was looking forward to a fun-loving Stephen Amell and a dark and brooding Grant Gustin.

Instead, it seems like it's a body switching movie.  Which is going to be fun for a couple minutes and then (potentially) a big mess.  The crossover has been fun every year so I'm still looking forward to it, but this is not the way that I would've gone with it.

972 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2018-11-15 09:49:08)

The shows have made more references to Gotham City and a couple indirect references to an Earth-1 Batman.  I hope that, at some point down the line, they let Batman on the show.

Although if they don't, I like thinking about an Arrowverse Bruce Wayne who is either too focused on Gotham to worry about reaching out to the other, more-well-known heroes, or someone who just doesn't have any interest at all in reaching out.

I prefer to think of Batman as someone who has kept himself aware of the Arrowverse and has decided that he doesn't want to be involved, due to creative differences. smile

I have always kind of imagined Gotham as taking place on Earth 2 though.

Informant wrote:

I have always kind of imagined Gotham as taking place on Earth 2 though.

It'd have to be a prequel to Earth 2 because Barry has Bruce on speed dial in the present.

New theory: Iris blocked Nora's abilities because Nora would age rapidly without the blocker. Nora removed the blocker on her own and began age rapidly. She is actually only 17 years old.

Otherwise, she is out-millennialing the millennials with her childish behavior.

The Nora stuff is sorta driving me nuts.  She's a fairly interesting character, but understanding her timeline is a bit of a fake-out since we know it'll be erased at some point.  The future where Barry is gone forever is probably not happening.

Jon Cryer has been cast as Lex Luthor. I haven't seen the show since season 2, so I barely know Lena. I know enough to remember that she isn't in her 50's, as her brother will now be. Also, Brenda Strong played his mother. She doesn't look like she could have a 50-something child.

The casting on Supergirl continues to baffle me.

Crazy.  I actually didn't consider that, but the ages are weird.  But I'm sure Jon Cryer can play early 40s.

More details have emerged about the Crossover, including confirmation that Barry and Oliver are doing a body-switching movie, essentially.  I maintain it would've been more fun if we were simply watching a story where a carefree Oliver Queen ended up as the Flash and events led to Barry Allen becoming the Green Arrow.

They've also directly answered the Batman question.  Apparently Batman has been gone for three years, and he's still regarded as a potential urban legend.  Oliver doesn't believe he exists.  Barry does.  So it's possible he showed up around the time Barry got his powers, but he didn't stay long enough to meet anyone and now he's "gone."