Topic: Sliders boarding house?

I was discussing the show with a friend recently, and I mentioned reading somewhere that, in early development of the series, Tracy Torme was going to have the characters' home base be a boarding house. Eventually, of course, they just found lodging in the Dominion Hotel.

However, when I tried to find the article that originally mentioned that online, I came up empty. I don't think I'm imagining things, but it's one of those obscure details that might only have been mentioned once.

Can anyone else point me to an article that mentions what I'm talking about? Or am I just nuts? smile

Re: Sliders boarding house?

I do remember that mentioned as an early outline; don’t think it made it to script form.  I also seem to remember it was part of a chat with either Torme or Weiss, so chat transcripts would need to be checked too.  Earth62 still has many of those:

http://www.earth62.net/transcripts/chattranscripts.htm

I've read some notes from Weiss that said they (he and Torme) had planned on the Mallory house was a motel or boarding house, but that was very early on (well before the pilot script phase).

If I remember correctly, the idea was that members of the boarding house got sucked into the vortex and Rembrandt (or another incarnation of him) was among them. The vortex would not have traveled outside the house.

JWSlider3 wrote:

If I remember correctly, the idea was that members of the boarding house got sucked into the vortex and Rembrandt (or another incarnation of him) was among them. The vortex would not have traveled outside the house.

Ahhhhh, that would have sucked!

Ahh, there we go! It was in the Weiss transcript:

Question: Were there other character designs left on the drawing board? Were there any characters changes before filming the pilot?
RK Weiss: The story was originally set in a boarding house with some other folks.

Question: Can you expand on the boarding house early story?
RK Weiss: Not in this forum. But there were more characters who lived there and got sucked into the original slide. Too many to service.

http://www.earth62.net/transcripts/weiss03dec99.htm

Thanks, TF, for the idea to search there! (And thanks to everyone else for the other comments!)

It was really interesting to see how the concept developed in those early days, there was even a note as Doorways being possible competition.