Topic: The King is Back script goes for $402.11 on Ebay!

Wow!

Somebody wanted the "The King is Back" shooting script pretty damn bad! Paid over $400 for it!

Re: The King is Back script goes for $402.11 on Ebay!

Congratulations! I wonder what single item I'd be willing to spend $402.11 on.

Auto body repair work.

I've known people to pay more than that! Just shocked that the interest still remains, when I can't get people on this board (a Sliders community) to respond to a script trade!

I'm not really the archaeologist sort. I don't concern myself with collectibles. I have no desire for Tracy Torme or Jerry O'Connell to autograph any possessions, I don't want a timer replica, I don't need to gather costumes or what-not. The stuff I care about with SLIDERS, I have to make myself or it wouldn't exist at all. I don't speak for any other fan, of course.

ireactions wrote:

Congratulations! I wonder what single item I'd be willing to spend $402.11 on.

Auto body repair work.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/a1b7129c950433c9919f5670c92ef83aa1c682d9/55_344_1971_1183/master/1971.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=ab166fc24298a3d65b21148c434767ba

I imagine the buyer was more interested in the attached production documents (or maybe just a big Del Rubio sisters fan).  My main interest would be in documentation of filming locations; but I got out of that whole game a long time ago.

You sure as hell did!

I can understand the joy and thrill that someone might feel if they were to hold a shooting script that Cleavant Derricks himself held on the Vancouver set. I can appreciate the thrill that someone could feel to hold a Motorola timer. And I suspect that Temporal Flux may experience similar things, but that his pursuit of SLIDERS artifacts and treasures may have had more to do with connecting to the people who acquired these items in the course of their work on the show and could offer not only more items but insight, experience, anecdotes and other information.

I personally don't relate to that, but I respect it. In university, I tracked down first American printings of the HARRY POTTER series, held the handcovers and their beautiful jackets in my hand -- and it meant nothing. I didn't care about the exterior or the weight. I liked the stories. So I donated my mint copies to a children's library and stepped back from collecting anything. As a STAR TREK fan, my happiest possession is not an artifact of any kind -- it's a paperback of THE RETURN, a novel by William Shatner in which the deceased Captain Kirk is resurrected for a 10 novel series of adventures.

Anyway. I am happy that JWSlider3 made $400 and I am glad that someone out there acquired something that they must have really wanted very much indeed and I am pleased that the passenger side of my car has had all the rust removed and been repainted to protect the structural integrity of my vehicle for years to come.

I didn't make Jack shit. I was bidding on it and was surprised that someone out there had old school Temporal Flux desire to possess a script that I normally (of recent) wouldn't see go for more than $35.

The dude that won it is a moderator at that Slidehead Facebook page that you were bashing a couple of days ago. I guess he doesn't need any pressing work done on his car!

I'm sorry. I was confused. I thought you were selling it as I thought you'd previously communicated that you had scripts.

I don't know that the work was pressing, but it was a matter of either paying some money to repair the car between now to 12 months from now or buying a new car entirely in 2 - 3 years' time. (Urgent, important information!)

Well that was the auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sliders-Origin … 3907351346

11 (edited by ArturoVila 2020-05-29 08:15:05)

I'd rather pay $400 for a blu-ray remastering of all 5 seasons, assuming the 35mm negs are still available. The show was likely edited on videotape, which means every episode would need a new wormhole, if nothing else.

(But I'll admit, the actual scripts are a nice piece of kit from the actual productions. Better to be in a collection than in a landfill.)

Amazing that it would fetch that much...  Didn't realize we had enough fans like that to command such a pretty penny.

13 (edited by JWSlider3 2020-05-31 03:55:44)

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:
Amazing that it would fetch that much...  Didn't realize we had enough fans like that to command such a pretty penny.

That's the thing, we don't! But, evidently we have 2!

It reminded me of the old TemporalFlux Sliders passion. It was nice to see someone still has it!

Say, whatever happened with your script exchange? Weren't you working on something with Transmodiar?

ireactions wrote:Say, whatever happened with your script exchange? Weren't you working on something with Transmodiar?

Thanks to your suggestion (through personal email) 2 years ago. Odd you would ask being that you've seen the document that I had that confirms that "Net Worth" was in season 3 lineup, that Transmodiar showed you.

Someone's ALWAYS working on something with Transmodiar. wink

Earth Prime | The Definitive Source for Sliders™

I never actually saw the document. Transmodiar was merely kind enough to mention the “Net Worth” factoid while discussing my latest mental health crisis. Haha!

For those who aren’t aware: TF was of the view that “Net Worth” had originally been a Season 3 pitch entitled “Onliners” and featured Quinn and Wade doubles in the roles of Rick and Joanne and was shelved after John was fired. Writer Steve Stoliar, however, said he had no memory of “Net Worth” being anything other than a Season 4 episode. Producer Paul Jackson had no recollection of anything called “Onliners.” Transmodiar informed me that this was likely one of TF’s few errors, possibly a miscommunication due to a lot of story ideas being communicated verbally but not on any documents that were preserved.

But that didn’t make any sense. Tracy Torme’s notes for Season 3 indicated that he had received a story idea called “Onliners” that he liked and that the Season 3 team might reject; he was going to ask Acclaim to consider producing it. And the script for “Net Worth” has unaired dialogue for Rick where he is familiar with sliding and where Maggie claims to be familiar with Joanne despite having only known her for two scenes — dialogue that only makes sense for a Quinn double and Wade speaking to her own double. The role of Mrs. Montana is also clearly written for Linda Henning.

Transmodiar reviewed JWSlider’s documents which included a mid-season progress report on Season 3 scripts. It included “Onliners,” which had been retitled “Net Worth” and put on hold.

A few years ago, I wrote “Net Worth: The Quinn and Wade Edition,” featuring the original sliders in the story with doubles of Quinn and Wade and Hurley and Amanda Mallory replacing Rick, Joanne, Jack and Mrs. Montana.

http://freepdfhosting.com/5e12f7fac9.pdf

My niece was furious with me for removing Mark Sheppard’s Jack from the episode as she loves that actor in SUPERNATURAL but was placated when I made sure to give him a cameo in my SLIDERS REBORN. Transmodiar was dismayed by how I spent three months working out a solution to how the sliders survived a bazooka aimed at the ceiling of their hotel room and gobsmacked by my having never seen MACGYVER and horrified when I declared that Wikipedia made MACGYVER sound like the greatest show ever and had inspired me to have Quinn find a way to defeat the bazooka. Transmodiar also thought it was unrealistic for the resulting script to feature Hurley and Wade’s parents and sister and to exclude commercial breaks and said it was very obviously fan fiction. He is correct.

a. MacGyver WAS the greatest show ever!!!!!!!!

b. I either never knew about Onliners or it has completely been whisked away from my memory.  I'm intrigued at the concept, especially that along with Heat of the Moment would have made a far better show than the post-Arturo garbage we got in S3.  I really would have loved to see a cranky Linda Henning!

ireactions wrote: TF was of the view that “Net Worth” had originally been a Season 3 pitch entitled “Onliners”

As far as "Net Worth" is concerned I believe TF is correct, I think Tracy himself pitched this story as "Onliners" and it was assigned to Steve Stoliar (who moved forward with his on pitch) then Nan Hagan (I got proof of this one:) then it stalled again.

ireactions wrote: Tracy Torme’s notes for Season 3 indicated that he had received a story idea called “Onliners” that he liked and that the Season 3 team might reject; he was going to ask Acclaim to consider producing it.

This was Tracy's notes for season four not three. I believe "Net Worth" was then "reassigned"  to Steve Stoliar then it was completed.

ireactions wrote:Transcoding reviewed JWSlider’s documents which included a mid-season progress report on Season 3 scripts. It included “Onliners,” which had been retired “Net Worth” and put on hold.

This isn't entirely true. The document didn't include "Onliners" it included "Net Worth" but yes it was put on hold. The reason I believe Tracy assigned the pitch he made himself is that only he has ever referred to it as "Onliners" and he had taken other pitches to the comic such as "Three went Walking" and "The Power and the Glory"

Thanks for the corrections. It makes me wonder if the reason Stoliar had no memory of "Onliners" being the starting point for "Net Worth" is because it was Torme's idea and not Stoliar's.

21 (edited by JWSlider3 2020-05-31 13:39:16)

He says it's his idea, but then again so does Nan. But Torme only took his ideas to Acclaim.

I'm going to throw someone else's hat in and say that the idea for "Onliners" / "Net Worth" / "Net Worth: The Quinn and Wade Edition" actually came from fanfic writer Nigel Mitchell who wrote the SLIDERS novella "Reboot," which is the first published SLIDERS story featuring a computer-driven parallel Earth. Hilariously dated by now, but still splendid, and for some reason featuring Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt, Maggie and Max, an Arturo double introduced in a previous story from the INFINITE SLIDES fanfic series.

https://freepdfhosting.com/f964e65dc9.pdf

ireactions wrote: fanfic writer Nigel Mitchell who wrote the SLIDERS novella "Reboot," which is the first published SLIDERS story

published?

Alright, self-published. Haha!

ireactions wrote:Say, whatever happened with your script exchange? Weren't you working on something with Transmodiar?

I'm curious ireactions, why did you ask this question here and now? You've had my email and you didn't seem to care for the last 2 years. Is it because I made reference to the old TemporalFlux Sliders passion? Did you feel you needed to "put me in my place", expose something TemporalFlux might not have known about?

I am not, as I specified above, all that interested in collectibles and archaeological items regarding SLIDERS. I also wasn't aware that the document regarding "Net Worth" originating in Season 3 came from you, but since you've informed me that it was yours, I would gladly put you in your place -- the place being that you clearly have a lot of interesting material and important knowledge and information regarding SLIDERS. You were/are in possession of important documents that confirmed what Temporal Flux had believed to be the case regarding "Net Worth" being a planned-for-Season-3 story even when the writer of the episode and a producer during Season 3 denied this to be the case. I thank and congratulate you.

I asked about your script exchange because you sent me a message two years ago about scripts and last year, Transmodiar said that "because of you," he was extremely busy, indicating that the two of you were collaborating on something interesting. I've never known Transmodiar to not be working on something interesting.

You also started this thread regarding an eBay sale of a script (which I mistakenly thought to be your sale), so I was curious to know if you'd succeeded in your wish to exchange SLIDERS scripts. If you were able to do this, then I would again like to congratulate you.

It's not that I wasn't interested in your endeavour and its success -- I referred you to someone else whom I thought might help you. But you were interested in a script exchange and I had no scripts to exchange with you; I didn't have anything to contribute. I myself don't have any SLIDERS collectibles (unless you count the Dual Dimension DVD set that I just found behind my bed while I was vacuuming).

ireactions wrote:

I myself don't have any SLIDERS collectibles (unless you count the Dual Dimension DVD set that I just found behind my bed while I was vacuuming).

Let's not forget that giant box of Sci-Fi Channel-era crap I shipped to you. Unless you tossed it in the trash after you scanned it?! :-O

To be fair, I tried to share that information with Temporal Flux, never responded back to my emails or messages.

ireactions wrote:

I never actually saw the document. Transmodiar was merely kind enough to mention the “Net Worth” factoid while discussing my latest mental health crisis. Haha!

For those who aren’t aware: TF was of the view that “Net Worth” had originally been a Season 3 pitch entitled “Onliners” and featured Quinn and Wade doubles in the roles of Rick and Joanne and was shelved after John was fired. Writer Steve Stoliar, however, said he had no memory of “Net Worth” being anything other than a Season 4 episode. Producer Paul Jackson had no recollection of anything called “Onliners.” Transmodiar informed me that this was likely one of TF’s few errors, possibly a miscommunication due to a lot of story ideas being communicated verbally but not on any documents that were preserved.

But that didn’t make any sense. Tracy Torme’s notes for Season 3 indicated that he had received a story idea called “Onliners” that he liked and that the Season 3 team might reject; he was going to ask Acclaim to consider producing it. And the script for “Net Worth” has unaired dialogue for Rick where he is familiar with sliding and where Maggie claims to be familiar with Joanne despite having only known her for two scenes — dialogue that only makes sense for a Quinn double and Wade speaking to her own double. The role of Mrs. Montana is also clearly written for Linda Henning.

Transmodiar reviewed JWSlider’s documents which included a mid-season progress report on Season 3 scripts. It included “Onliners,” which had been retitled “Net Worth” and put on hold.

A few years ago, I wrote “Net Worth: The Quinn and Wade Edition,” featuring the original sliders in the story with doubles of Quinn and Wade and Hurley and Amanda Mallory replacing Rick, Joanne, Jack and Mrs. Montana.

http://freepdfhosting.com/5e12f7fac9.pdf

My niece was furious with me for removing Mark Sheppard’s Jack from the episode as she loves that actor in SUPERNATURAL but was placated when I made sure to give him a cameo in my SLIDERS REBORN. Transmodiar was dismayed by how I spent three months working out a solution to how the sliders survived a bazooka aimed at the ceiling of their hotel room and gobsmacked by my having never seen MACGYVER and horrified when I declared that Wikipedia made MACGYVER sound like the greatest show ever and had inspired me to have Quinn find a way to defeat the bazooka. Transmodiar also thought it was unrealistic for the resulting script to feature Hurley and Wade’s parents and sister and to exclude commercial breaks and said it was very obviously fan fiction. He is correct.

We were all wrong - TemporalFlux was wrong, I was wrong, and you were wrong. James has the docs that give a very specific breakdown of what "Onliners" or whatever the hell you want to call it was before it was shelved. And if I ever get the time, it'll likely make its way to Earth Prime. But just so there's no miscommunication, what was designed for season three in NO way resembles what appeared in season four, and it wasn't a simple case of changing the names in the script.

Just like "Raging Quinn" wasn't about Smarter Quinn, it was about a murderous dolphin and Arturo and Quinn beating the daylights out of each other. You live, you learn. TMYK!

Well! This is very interesting.

Recent years haven’t been too kind, and I really no longer care what anyone is doing with regards to behind the scenes material.  Trying to share that type of material was a miserable experience for me. I often felt like I had to spend more time trying to prove I wasn’t lying than the time it took to actually find the material.

Looking back, my real enjoyment with this community was in sharing ideas and theories about the continuity and mechanics of the series that weren’t always elaborated on in the stories.  Filling in the cracks of the series and talking about it with other fans was a rewarding experience, and those efforts are the “detective work” that I’m most proud of.  Ultimately, that’s all I was trying to do in finding the production materials too - I was just seeking to gain a better understanding of the series and what shaped it. 

I’ve come to realize that trivia and possessions really weren’t my goal (though I admit I do enjoy having displays of the production used Egyptian timer, Rickman timer and Slidewave generator in my home).

I don't feel Temporal Flux has any further need to investigate the behind the scenes stories of SLIDERS. However, the degree to which he did investigate was vital and important in the time at which he did it. There was so much madness and insanity onscreen: the series went from Vancouver to Los Angeles. The characters went from looking like normal civilians to magazine models. The action-adventure excess of Season 3 became the stagebound, beige-coloured visuals of Seasons 4 - 5. The final episode of SLIDERS had only one remaining original cast member.

Temporal Flux's efforts brought sense and reason to the traumatic, inexplicable events on SLIDERS. The fans needed Temporal Flux and everything he had to give in that moment and in the moment in which he gave it. And if TF has moved on, well, he has accomplished the most important and meaningful thing; he brought understanding to the incomprehensible.

And speaking for myself and my own journey with SLIDERS, the answers he gave us were put into my SLIDERS fan writing as fictionalized versions of Temporal Flux's truth. The "Slide Effects" script reveals that the events of Season 3 - 5 were a simulation created by a Kromagg who was assigned to control the sliders' minds and came to despise them and their adventures -- just like David Peckinpah.

The SLIDERS REBORN stories declare that Seasons 3 - 5 and the disordered episodes and disappeared guest characters of Seasons 1 - 2 were caused by Geiger ripping all Quinn doubles out of all realities, causing a cataclysmic event across the multiverse that cracked the rules of reality, resulting in monsters, magic, the supernatural -- and says that reality began to break down and implode, resulting in Seasons 4 - 5 all being set in the same locations and interiors and reflecting how reality was beginning to shrink as it collapsed. I got a lot of fan mail applauding these explanations because they felt true and that's because they were the truth -- which Temporal Flux brought to us.

And if there's some area of truth where TF's information was incomplete and where JWSlider3's generosity and Transmodiar's diligence enlighten and clarify, then I look forward to it with appreciation, gratitude and fondness for all three of you.

33 (edited by JWSlider3 2020-05-31 18:35:37)

TemporalFlux wrote:Recent years haven’t been too kind, and I really no longer care what anyone is doing with regards to behind the scenes material.  Trying to share that type of material was a miserable experience for me. I often felt like I had to spend more time trying to prove I wasn’t lying than the time it took to actually find the material.

Looking back, my real enjoyment with this community was in sharing ideas and theories about the continuity and mechanics of the series that weren’t always elaborated on in the stories.  Filling in the cracks of the series and talking about it with other fans was a rewarding experience, and those efforts are the “detective work” that I’m most proud of.  Ultimately, that’s all I was trying to do in finding the production materials too - I was just seeking to gain a better understanding of the series and what shaped it.

I’ve come to realize that trivia and possessions really weren’t my goal (though I admit I do enjoy having displays of the production used Egyptian timer, Rickman timer and Slidewave generator in my home).

Sorry to hear of miss fortune in the last few years. I can understand about not caring what anyone is doing with the material. I felt like I paid a fortune for what most would consider Bob Weiss' trash (and actually is).

I enjoy finding out about the stories that might have been, a story I enjoy is when I was trying to get in contact with Dorothy Fontana and had to go though Marv Wolfman to do it (almost surreal).

When last we talked you had just acquired the Egyptian Timer and stated that you where determined to the Rickman Timer. I think it's awesome that you got all those Timers now.

I wish you would have just said this in an email, instead of saying nothing. I know a lot of what I talked about in those days never came to pass, sorry things couldn't have been different.

Transmodiar wrote:

We were all wrong - TemporalFlux was wrong, I was wrong, and you were wrong. James has the docs that give a very specific breakdown of what "Onliners" or whatever the hell you want to call it was before it was shelved. And if I ever get the time, it'll likely make its way to Earth Prime. But just so there's no miscommunication, what was designed for season three in NO way resembles what appeared in season four, and it wasn't a simple case of changing the names in the script.

Just like "Raging Quinn" wasn't about Smarter Quinn, it was about a murderous dolphin and Arturo and Quinn beating the daylights out of each other. You live, you learn. TMYK!

Just to clarify -- you are saying that "Onliners" was a separate story from "Net Worth." But in describing one of JWSlider3's documents, you said that the March 1997 status report on scripts specifies four stories that aren't going to proceed, two of which are K1822 (titled Heat of the Moment) and K1811 (titled "Net Worth").

Even if "Onliners" and "Net Worth" were two separate stories, was "Net Worth" still originally a Season 3 episode?

35 (edited by JWSlider3 2020-05-31 19:30:44)

As I said, Tracy is the only one that referred to it as "Onliners".

As of March 20 1997

K1811 "Net  Worth" Steve Stoliar Story assigned 7/2/96 delivered 7/10/96 - In abeyance
K1812 "Adventure in paradise" John Scheinfeld Story assigned 7/16/96 delivered 7/24/96 - Abandoned
K1821 "Slider's Ark" Paul Jackson assigned 10/22/96
K1822 "Heat of the Moment" Tracy Torme assigned 11/1/96

the outline is what was delivered not the script, if it's at the assignment stage it's just a pitch

JWSlider3 wrote:

As of March 20 1997

K1811 "Net  Worth" Steve Stoliar Story assigned 7/2/96 delivered 7/10/96 - In abeyance
K1812 "Adventure in paradise" John Scheinfeld Story assigned 7/16/96 delivered 7/24/96 - Abandoned

the outline is what was delivered not the script, if it's at the assignment stage it's just a pitch

And the K1811 JWSlider has isn't even called "Net Worth;" yes, it involves the internet but it's very very different. As for "Slider's Ark," I asked Paul Jackson about it and he had no recollection of it. John Scheinfeld couldn't recall anything either, per JWSlider.

I believe the outline was called "Sons of Liberty" formally Net Worth.

TemporalFlux wrote:

WHAT?!  Can we see??????  PLEASE!

Grizzlor wrote:
TemporalFlux wrote:

I’ll see if I can get them lit up for a shot.  It’s a bit of pain to get the batteries in the Slidewave device - you essentially have to dismantle the whole thing and put it back together.  Amazingly, the bright camera ready lights on it run off 16 AA batteries.

When I got it from the prop master, he talked about how they had built a couple of them for use in the episode (one being used for the infamous spark scene that injured Jerry).  But it was clear which one I got.  They had taken a script and cut out Jerry’s line for that scene and taped it to the back of the emitter.  lol  It led me to wonder just how many secret places they had Jerry’s lines taped up in the episodes we watch.

JWSlider3 wrote:

Sorry to hear of miss fortune in the last few years. I can understand about not caring what anyone is doing with the material. I felt like I paid a fortune for what most would consider Bob Weiss' trash (and actually is).

I enjoy finding out about the stories that might have been, a story I enjoy is when I was trying to get in contact with Dorothy Fontana and had to go though Marv Wolfman to do it (almost surreal).

When last we talked you had just acquired the Egyptian Timer and stated that you where determined to the Rickman Timer. I think it's awesome that you got all those Timers now.

I wish you would have just said this in an email, instead of saying nothing. I know a lot of what I talked about in those days never came to pass, sorry things couldn't have been different.

To be honest, when I stepped away; I found that I was a lot happier in life.  I just didn’t want to get pulled back into it.  There’s been some times I thought about getting back in (such as 2014 when I walked the Universal back lot in the footsteps of where the show was filmed; and drove from there to walk the streets of San Francisco as they did in the stories) - but ultimately, I’ve tried to keep to just some conversation here.

What helped change my mind recently is that I’m facing a surgery in a few months (depending on what’s happening with COVID).  It’s supposed to be a simple procedure, and the doctor claims it has a high success rate; but you never know.  There aren’t guarantees.  With the same circulation issue, my great grandfather had to have his leg amputated.  My grandmother died on the operating table.  I would like to believe our technology and knowledge has improved since then, and I’m younger than they were; but you just don’t know.

I hadn’t mentioned it, but that’s one of the driving reasons why I finally shared my Sliders: Declassified script recently.  I would say that most probably I’ll still be here for a very long time yet; but there’s a chance I won’t.  For me, Declassified is something worth leaving behind.  And really, sharing it was the only adequate way I could explain why I’ve loved Sliders.  Sometimes you just can’t explain it; you have to show it.

TemporalFlux wrote:
Grizzlor wrote:
TemporalFlux wrote:

I’ll see if I can get them lit up for a shot.  It’s a bit of pain to get the batteries in the Slidewave device - you essentially have to dismantle the whole thing and put it back together.  Amazingly, the bright camera ready lights on it run off 16 AA batteries.

When I got it from the prop master, he talked about how they had built a couple of them for use in the episode (one being used for the infamous spark scene that injured Jerry).  But it was clear which one I got.  They had taken a script and cut out Jerry’s line for that scene and taped it to the back of the emitter.  lol  It led me to wonder just how many secret places they had Jerry’s lines taped up in the episodes we watch.

Well even if you can't light it up, I'd love to see them all as is.  And hmm, are you saying Jerry was a regular Shatner? Ha ha.

PS: Hopefully your surgery goes great, please keep us in the loop.

I'm concerned to hear that Temporal Flux is getting surgery. Without knowing enough about it to comment, I'd say that any day is conceivably our last even without an upcoming surgery with a high success rate but a troubling family history. And while I don't feel you should think that you're marked for death and behave as such, I do think it's important to have goals and ambitions with (flexible) deadlines for increments of progress because, like the sliders and their timer, we always have limited windows of opportunity and should make the most of them. At the same time, we should always be open to seeing new opportunities present themselves. I'm glad you completed and released the DECLASSIFIED script and I'm grateful for how it prompted a lot of thought.

JWSlider3 wrote:

As of March 20 1997

Transmodiar wrote:

And the K1811 JWSlider has isn't even called "Net Worth;" yes, it involves the internet but it's very very different. As for "Slider's Ark," I asked Paul Jackson about it and he had no recollection of it. John Scheinfeld couldn't recall anything either, per JWSlider.

So, the K1811 "Net Worth" of Season 3 by Steve Stoliar is not the "Net Worth" (K2806) of Season 4 by Steve Stoliar?

Is "Sliders' Ark" most definitely a separate story from "The Exodus"? The title is reminiscent of John Rhys-Davies' pitch for the sliders landing on a doomed Earth and helping to evacuate who they can and debating whether to bring artwork or food supplies and similar conundrums as reported by Sarah_Slider. And "The Exodus" was ultimately scripted by Tony Blake and Paul Jackson.

TemporalFlux wrote:

What helped change my mind recently is that I’m facing a surgery in a few months (depending on what’s happening with COVID).  It’s supposed to be a simple procedure, and the doctor claims it has a high success rate; but you never know.  There aren’t guarantees.  With the same circulation issue, my great grandfather had to have his leg amputated.  My grandmother died on the operating table.  I would like to believe our technology and knowledge has improved since then, and I’m younger than they were; but you just don’t know.

I hope the surgery goes well and that you pull through with flying colors. My mother-in-law just recently died after a years-long struggle with multiple system atrophy, and took my father-in-law with her. Don't want to see anyone sick or hurt, and I'm confident you'll be around for a while.

ireactions wrote:

So, the K1811 "Net Worth" of Season 3 by Steve Stoliar is not the "Net Worth" (K2806) of Season 4 by Steve Stoliar?

They share so little DNA it's not worth trying to compare them. It's like TOSOD and Raging Quinn sharing the same P-code; sure, there's an evolution from one to the next, but there's no connective tissue.

ireactions wrote:

Is "Sliders' Ark" most definitely a separate story from "The Exodus"? The title is reminiscent of John Rhys-Davies' pitch for the sliders landing on a doomed Earth and helping to evacuate who they can and debating whether to bring artwork or food supplies and similar conundrums as reported by Sarah_Slider. And "The Exodus" was ultimately scripted by Tony Blake and Paul Jackson.

Yes, because "Exodus" was on the same spreadsheet as "Sliders' Ark".

One of the heaviest burdens in life is to unknowingly labour under a misapprehension. We should always be grateful when someone alerts us to and relieves us of that.

For a long time, I thought that Rick Montana and Maggie Beckett's odd dialogue in the "Net Worth" script were due to the characters having been swapped in for Quinn-2 and Wade, so I'm glad and grateful that Transmodiar and JWSlider3 have been so kind as to provide a correction.

Transmodiar cautioned me during the writing of "Net Worth: The Quinn and Wade Edition," saying, "I urge you not to put any more time into 'Net Worth' than Steve Stoliar did," noting that the writer of (*snicker*) "Paradise Lost" may not have been attempting his magnum opus in Season 4 and that the oddities of his script are likely because it was a less-than-impassioned effort.

That said, Stoliar did an excellent job writing his memoir of his time as Groucho Marx's assistant AND did a nice job on Season 5's "A Current Affair" AND seems like a fundamentally decent and friendly person.

Anyway. "Net Worth: The Quinn and Wade Edition" is plainly not in any way a picture of the Season 3 story as planned. That said -- even if "Net Worth" as scripted for Season 4 had been intended for Season 3, it still wouldn't have been like "The Quinn and Wade Edition." As Transmodiar pointed out, teleplays in 1997 had commercial breaks, didn't have banter between characters sheerly for the joy of having the actors interact, wouldn't have brought back Wade's parents and sister and Hurley in roles that depend on remembering who they are and probably would not have attempted to pastiche John Rhys-Davies' onscreen presence in the script itself.

But. I still think it's a neat exercise to transplant the Season 2 cast into a Season 4 adventure and imagine John Rhys-Davies on the Universal backlot, dodging laser fire made on a Sci-Fi Channel budget and to imagine "Net Worth" with Quinn and Wade doubles in the Rick and Joanne roles and to ask: does putting the original sliders in a latter-era adventure turn it into a SLIDERS story? When I first posted it, I would have said yes.

Today, I concede that the answer is no. While every story is conceivably a SLIDERS story, a SLIDERS story is not necessarily this story in that DECLASSIFIED has revealed that SLIDERS, to be on-brand, needs that peculiar mixture of social satire and witty commentary and careful nuance that observes and inverts. "Net Worth" is ultimately about a physical and technological conflict, not a societal one and putting Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo into it makes it a solid story about the sliders without making it a SLIDERS story.

I look forward to seeing "Onliners" online when time permits.