Re: Star Trek in Film and TV (and The Orville, too!)

SNW is terrific, and the Lower Decks (my favorite current Trek show) was absolutely perfect!

Star Trek was fairly progressive for the 60's.  Uhura was noteworthy just for being a bridge officer at a time when black women on TV were all maids or criminals.  She took the helm and worked at science station when needed.  The show was years ahead of anything else on TV just by treating her as a professional.

Roddenberry did want a female first officer, as seen in The Cage, but the network wouldn't allow it.

I thought the crossover was a lot of fun.  I struggle with the silliness of Lower Decks (although I also love it) as canon.  Boimler seems to know things as if he's a fan of Star Trek (not just Starfleet).  The crossover did a good job of making Boimler's neurotic behavior kinda normal, and that all these people on all our favorite shows might've all just been history nerds that love this stuff like we love Star Trek.

And I'll accept that some of the way-too-specific stuff that Boimler and Mariner reference is because Starfleet has some sort of extreme FOIA stuff going on, and bored lower deckers might read all the crew logs.

is Jerry O'Connell noticably good and funny in lower decks?

His wife Rebecca is decent in the limited SNW I've seen although I guess doesn't offer anything extraordinary.  What do you guys think about her in that series?

545 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-07-25 13:12:17)

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

is Jerry O'Connell noticably good and funny in lower decks?

His wife Rebecca is decent in the limited SNW I've seen although I guess doesn't offer anything extraordinary.  What do you guys think about her in that series?

Haven't watched Lower Decks yet. Although I need to!

Rebecca is excellent in SNW I thought. She really shines in S2 E2: Ad Astra per Aspera.

I am astonished and impressed by Rebecca Romijn's excellence in STRANGE NEW WORLDS. I wouldn't have expected much from her given that she made a living as a supermodel who was painted blue for the X-MEN movies; I didn't realize she was actually a good actress. I had a similar experience with Serinda Swan, a swimsuit model type who put in a ghastly performance as Zatanna on SMALLVILLE but turned out to be incredible on the TV show CORONER. In both cases, I now suspect that when their acting was bad in other productions, it's because they were receiving poor direction from directors who weren't interested in how they performed, only how they posed.

Jerry O'Connell's good on LOWER DECKS, but he's not delivering the jokes as much as reacting to them. His voice isn't recognizable to me as Jerry.

pilight wrote:

Star Trek was fairly progressive for the 60's.  Uhura was noteworthy just for being a bridge officer at a time when black women on TV were all maids or criminals.  She took the helm and worked at science station when needed.  The show was years ahead of anything else on TV just by treating her as a professional.

Roddenberry did want a female first officer, as seen in The Cage, but the network wouldn't allow it.

Gene Roddenberry was not prevented from giving more screentime to female characters in STAR TREK. Judging from the oral history of THE FIFTY YEAR MISSION and the Roddenberry biography THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED, the failures were mostly Roddenberry, and while he may have attributed any and all issues to vaguely defined "executives", this is self-serving revisionist history. Note that Roddenberry never distinguished between studio and network executives and used the term "executives" interchangeably.

Desilu Productions was primarily concerned with getting STAR TREK made for less than what NBC was paying them to make it; NBC was primarily concerned with selling ad time for the commercials during STAR TREK. Desliu and NBC took issue with the Number One character because the actress, Majel Barrett, put in a stiff performance and was clearly hired only because she was having an extramarital affair with Gene Roddenberry. Neither Desilu nor NBC wanted the scandal of that when producing or selling the show, and they demanded that Barrett be fired.

Later, when Roddenberry cast Barrett again as Christine Chapel, Desilu and NBC said that Chapel was to remain a small role or they would fire her again; this is why Chapel got nothing to do. Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) and Janice Rand (Grace Lee Whitney) were both cast with actresses chosen for Roddenberry's romantic interest in them; Nichols had been Roddenberry's former lover and Roddenberry propositioned Grace Lee Whitney (who declined but still had a good friendship with Roddenberry). Roddenberry gave Uhura nothing to do and laid Whitney off to focus more on Dr. McCoy. Every woman on STAR TREK was largely defined by romantic interest towards a man that was unrequited or indulged to their own destruction -- or they simply weren't defined at all.

Some may claim this was network mandate, but this is patently untrue because on STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, Roddenberry repeated the same pattern completely on his own.

In the first season of TNG, Beverly Crusher, Deanna Troi and Tasha Yar were given very little to do and defined primarily by their attractions to Picard, Riker or Data. Denise Crosby (Tasha) had a meeting with Roddenberry where he flat out told her that the show was going to focus on the men, Picard, Data, Riker. "This is the formula for Star Trek and it works. It is not going to change," Roddenberry told her, and being a syndicated show, Roddenberry was not bowing to mandates from the studio or network. This was all Roddenberry because Roddenberry simply had no interest in writing women as people. They existed to love and serve men.

Grizzlor wrote:

I cannot bring myself to watch Lower Decks or Prodigy whenever that comes out.  To me Trek is not slapstick comedy or children's toons.  ST:TAS was I felt mature (for the 70's) and serious.  In fact, I wish someone would reanimate that show using the original audio.

Grizzlor wrote:

SNW is terrific, and the Lower Decks (my favorite current Trek show) was absolutely perfect!

What happened here? My soul will not rest until I know what caused this turnaround of opinion. But I'm glad Grizzlor is enjoying LOWER DECKS.

I've been thinking about "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" and how it alters STAR TREK from fixed dates to a vaguer floating timeline where the Eugenics Wars now happen at an unspecified point in the 'near' future, and explains that this is the effect of Romulan temporal agents attempting to prevent the rise of the Federation and Department of Temporal Investigations agents engaging in counterinterference operations. Unintentionally or not, this actually explains some of the stranger points of discontinuity in THE ORIGINAL SERIES.

THE ORIGINAL SERIES couldn't seem to figure out what century it was set in: "Tomorrow is Yesterday" sets the show in the 22nd century, but "The Squire of Gothos" indicates that it's the 28th century. It couldn't figure out whose Kirk's employers were: Kirk is alternatively working for the Space Central, the Star Service, Spacefleet, Space Service, Space Command, the United Earth Space Probe Agency -- it only solidifies into Starfleet with "Court Martial" (1.14).

In "The Corbomite Maneuver" (1.02), Kirk refers to being from a United Earth and in "The Conscience of the King" (1.13), McCoy says that the Vulcans were "conquered" (presumably by humans), but "Arena" (1.18) has Kirk describing a "Federation" that's only defined in "A Taste of Armageddon" (1.23) as a United Federation of Planets, dismissing earlier portrayals of Kirk representing an Earth-only government and then "Errand of Mercy" (1.27) establishes that Vulcans are part of the Federation as partners rather than a conquered people.

What is going on here, aside from Roddenberry letting other writers replace Roddenberry's Earth-centric intentions with Starfleet and the United Federation of Planets?

"Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" seem to suggest -- unintentionally or not -- that each TOS episode was a fragment of a timeline in flux. Notably, the episodes where Kirk worked for "Spacefleet" and "United Earth" were representing an instance of the timeline where the Romulans succeeded in erasing the Federation.

As the Department of Temporal Investigations rolled back the changes, we began to see continuity begin to solidify more with Starfleet and the Federation, but not entirely and not until the movies. We were seeing history in flux during TOS: a history where Earth's repressive attitudes to women and people of colour and gender identities were unfortunately carried into space, where Earth conquered the Vulcans instead of working with them -- and the original episodes of TOS were a temporal mirage that bears a painterly, sketchy resemblance to the original reality which was likely closer to STRANGE NEW WORLDS than THE ORIGINAL SERIES.

I'm sure it's not what they intended, but it works.

Well that was two years ago, and obviously I gave it a chance.  Prodigy I'm not bothering with.

Grizzlor wrote:

Well that was two years ago, and obviously I gave it a chance.  Prodigy I'm not bothering with.

I had the same thought and Prodigy ended up really surprising me.  I don't even think it was all that kid-friendly at times.  I would say it was about as kid-friendly as the Clone Wars or Rebels?  Which is to say that there are some kid-friendly episodes but it still can get pretty dark.  And there are episodes that are as pure Trek as Strange New Worlds.  In fact, a recent episode of SNW essentially ripped off an episode of Prodigy (albeit a bit more twisted).

Now that's it's cancelled, I'm not going to say you definitely need to watch it.  But it shouldn't be written off any more than Lower Decks should've been written off.  Prodigy belongs.

No spoilers, but airing 2x08 in between 2x07 and 2x09 is....a choice.

Clone Wars/Rebels were sagas though.  I'm sure Prodigy is fine, I just don't have interest. 

SNW followed the crossover with a hard hitting episode about Klingon War veterans and such.

Grizzlor wrote:

Clone Wars/Rebels were sagas though.  I'm sure Prodigy is fine, I just don't have interest.

Yeah, I'm not trying to convince you.  I'm just saying I wrote it off as a baby's show, and it really wasn't that.  If it was a fully-realized show like Rebels or Clone Wars, I would probably try harder.  But it's 20 episodes with an uncertain future - it probably isn't worth your time at this point.

SNW followed the crossover with a hard hitting episode about Klingon War veterans and such.

Yeah and next week is a musical.  I loved the crossover and loved the Klingon episode, but they were such drastically different tones that it was a bit shocking.  And since they aired the crossover early, they aired within days of each other!

I'm not saying it was bad, but it definitely gave me thematic whiplash.

To me, the constant variations in tone and genre make sense to me. Space is a big place with lots of room for many disparate life experiences.

I will say, there is one thing in STRANGE NEW WORLDS that just is not working for me. I don't like Paul Wesley's Kirk. That said, Kirk is a really difficult character to bring into the present day. But Wesley's Kirk seems to fall into a lot of traps.

In terms of casting, Wesley is an excellent choice for Kirk. Wesley's real name is Paweł Tomasz Wasilewski, which he changed to Paul Wasilewski for acting and then changed again to Paul Wesley to fit more easily on a resume.

I've only seen Wesley in two other roles: he played the self-servingly manipulative Lucas Luthor in one SMALLVILLE episode and he played the recklessly self-destructive Tommy on EVERWOOD, both roles where his characters' temperaments were a similar but less heroic variant on Chris Pine's screen presence as Kirk in the 2009 movie.

Actors like Paul Wesley with a roguish mischief and a certain edgy incaution are the model for James T. Kirk, a character whom William Shatner personified as a hypercharismatic leader. Shatner's Kirk is defined by certain iconic identifiers. Shatner's Kirk is hammy yet with a magnetic warmth. Shatner's Kirk is hyperfocused on achieving his goals and is also extremely good at telling people what to do in a way that's amiable rather than controlling.

STRANGE NEW WORLDS has a great actor, but the writing presents Wesley's Kirk with none of that. Wesley's Kirk is written to be apologetic: instead of flat out telling Captain Pike that he thinks Pike's command decisions were timid instead of bold, Kirk self-effacingly says he would probably have done things differently with embarrassment and discomfort. Wesley's Kirk is awkwardly unsure in telling people what to do or what he would do when Kirk was not only confident in declaring his wishes, but knew how to make people feel comfortable with his criticisms.

Wesley's Kirk is also written to be unassertive and unfocused. When on a time travel mission to the 2020s with La'an Noonien Singh, Kirk's attention drifts from the mission of identifying the source of temporal alteration. Instead, Kirk gets distracted by hot dogs, water, sunlight and planetary atmosphere. Kirk is also subdued in his self-deprecation as he tells La'an he urgently craves another hot dog. Shatner's Kirk, while keen to enjoy at least a little of everything that life had to offer, was a man with a mission. Wesley's Kirk is meandering.

The moment where Wesley's Kirk comes off as utterly unKirk-like is in "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow". Wesley's Kirk is aware that La'an is attracted to him and the feeling is mutual. But the script has Wesley's Kirk demure and hesitate, letting La'an make the first move. Shatner's Kirk was not someone who paused before telling a woman that he liked her; Shatner's Kirk would tell women who intrigued him that he was interested in them with directness and without a hint of embarrassment, he also made it clear that if they were to reject him, he'd still be interested in what they had to offer socially.

Shatner's Kirk excelled at telling people what he wanted out of them professionally and personally and telling them what he wanted without uncertainty or hesitation; Shatner's Kirk also excelled at conveying why giving him what he asked would be mutually beneficial to everyone involved. Wesley's Kirk is completely lacking in this natural and good-natured presence of authority.

I'm not sure how much of this is deliberate. Wesley has said that he deliberately didn't want his Kirk to feel like Shatner's Kirk because his Kirk is much younger and much less experienced. But it's not actually up to him. The scripts have made this younger Kirk unassertive and apologetic and hesitant and Wesley has played what's been written for him.

Chris Pine's Kirk was not William Shatner's Kirk either. But Pine conveyed a certain internal mayhem, a reckless streak, a persevering determination and a willingness to endure beating after beating and to do it with a smirk if it would get him a little closer to completing his mission. Pine had an immunity to embarrassment and a tolerance for punishment that came off as a primitive version of Captain Kirk's confidence.

Paul Wesley's Kirk doesn't come off as a young person who could someday become the Captain Kirk of THE ORIGINAL SERIES. His low key demeanor makes him seem more like a younger version of Jonathan Archer with Scott Bakula's humble warmth. Wesley's Kirk doesn't have even a hint of Captain Kirk's friendly competitiveness.

There is some canonical precedent for this. In the first-produced TOS episode with Kirk, "Where No Man Has Gone Before", Kirk is described in lieutenant days as "a stack of books with legs", implying that he was a more cerebral person before his starship captaincies made him more of an extrovert. This line seems to have been a holdover from when the plan was still to have a series with the more bookish Captain Pike of "The Cage", but STRANGE NEW WORLDS may be taking it as written in the same way it has accepted the smiling, shouting Spock of "The Cage" as a less disciplined version of Leonard Nimoy's Spock.

However, if the intention is for the younger Kirk to seem shockingly different from Shatner's Kirk, then it's odd that STRANGE NEW WORLDS was so determined to put Kirk in a modernized version of the iconic gold tunic of THE ORIGINAL SERIES and to visually convey that this is the same Kirk of TOS.

One neat alternative might have been to have the younger Kirk wear the Starfleet blue of the science division or the Starfleet red for operations and engineering -- and emphasize his bookish, intellectual side and his lack of command aptitude; to further emphasize that even in the Romulan-altered timeline, he was only captain of the Enterprise due to lack of personnel options. And then, in bits and pieces, we'd see flashes of Shatner's Kirk, indicating that the journey from being "a stack of books with legs" to a worthy starship captain is a journey with many twists and turns.

I'm not sure why Kirk is being written this way. It could be, of course, that bringing Shatner's Kirk to modern TV is a challenge. Shatner played Kirk in a STAR TREK show that was 60s pop art, produced and performed as televised stage theatre with Shatner's performance being accordingly broad and flamboyant for the elevated and abstract world of 60s sci-fi TV. This performance and this character could not exist in the more subdued, conversational world of STRANGE NEW WORLDS without some retrofitting; the Chris Pine character is just as exaggerated as Shatner but it's played for laughs and with Pine being at odds with the more controlled performances around him.

Wesley's Kirk is written to fit into a more subdued TV show, but in dialing down Kirk's theatricality, the show seems to have lost what made Kirk iconic and special despite having cast a good actor for the role.

ireactions wrote:

TWhen on a time travel mission to the 2020s with La'an Noonien Singh, Kirk's attention drifts from the mission of identifying the source of temporal alteration. Instead, Kirk gets distracted by hot dogs, water, sunlight and planetary atmosphere. Kirk is also subdued in his self-deprecation as he tells La'an he urgently craves another hot dog. Shatner's Kirk, while keen to enjoy at least a little of everything that life had to offer, was a man with a mission. Wesley's Kirk is meandering.

To be fair, Kirk later admits that he is wasting time so that his timeline still comes to path.  He thinks that distracting Singh and not doing anything will preserve his own timeline.

Paul Wesley's Kirk doesn't come off as a young person who could someday become the Captain Kirk of THE ORIGINAL SERIES. His low key demeanor makes him seem more like a younger version of Jonathan Archer with Scott Bakula's humble warmth. Wesley's Kirk doesn't have even a hint of Captain Kirk's friendly competitiveness.

Well, Kirk does destroy a bunch of people in chess for money and then brag about it later.

Of course, I've only seen TOS once and long ago so I'll defer to you.  But one explanation I've read for the difference is that Kirk hasn't yet experienced the tragedy on the Farragut.  I assume this is a good reason even though I have no idea what Kirk would've experienced on the Farragut or why that would make him act more like the way you'd expect him to act.

554 (edited by ireactions 2023-07-31 18:26:51)

The Farragut incident is summarized in the Season 2 TOS episode "Obsession" where Kirk recounts how, as a lieutenant  aboard that ship, there was an attack from a space vampire cloud creature of sorts which killed numerous crewmen including the captain, an incident that left Kirk traumatized and obsessed with hunting the creature down once it resurfaced during Kirk's captaincy of the Enterprise.

"Obsession" was Trek doing MOBY DICK and... it's a savage, brutal, violent episode that is also infamous for its bizarre continuity: five Enterprise crewmen are killed including an ensign played by actor Jerry Ayres and the recurring character of Lieutenant Leslie -- except Jerry Ayres' ensign had previously appeared in Season 1's "Arena" in which he also died there, and Lieutenant Leslie is shown alive and well after "Obsession" in "The Immunity Syndrome". It's one of the strangest points of non-continuity ever in a show that was inconsistent to begin with.

I assume this is all reflecting the Romulan-Federation temporal war.

I don't disagree with Slider_Quinn21's remarks about Kirk in the time travel episode, but I'd note that Kirk's demeanor was more "smug chess club president" than "charming rogue". Also, if Kirk had really been opposed to La'an, he would have simply left her and found somewhere to get frozen in suspended animation until the 23rd century (which is something I thought might occur to the LOWER DECKS team in the 23rd century).

That said, according to Paul Wesley, the massive distance between his Kirk and Shatner's Kirk is deliberate, that he's going by "Where No Man is Gone Before"'s dialogue about Kirk in his youth.

Paul Wesley:

I totally took that “stack of books with legs” line and I actually based my Kirk on that line. I didn’t want him to be a complete stack of books with legs, because that would have been like watching paint dry. But I wanted to incorporate that brainier aspect of Kirk into my version of the character. When we think of Captain Kirk, there's an immediate sort of reaction: we know who he is. Kirk has obviously been established very clearly by not only pop culture history, and, but also, obviously, what William Shatner did in the 1960s. But the key thing is he’s recognizable. There’s a recognizable feeling, and I wanted to do something a little different with that. I thought this was a really good opportunity to start from a different place and watch Kirk build into the character that he’s known for in pop culture history. A lot of that has to do with maybe creating a bit less brawn and a little more brains, for lack of a better phrase. Having him still finding his footing. A little less self-assured. At this point, he’s trying to understand who he is and who he wants to be, and what kind of leader he wants to be. Because, ultimately, he’s not a captain yet.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/t … interview/

That's fine. It doesn't work for me, and I am not sure if it will work out. But I respect that Wesley has thought about it, the writers have thought about it, and they aren't just thoughtlessly missing the mark on what makes Captain Kirk iconic and powerful; they're trying to arrive at that destination from a far distance. I am not sure they can make it.

To me, they did something similar with Spock in DISCOVERY, but they did a good job of having enough of Nimoy's diplomatic severity in the writing and Ethan Peck's performance that it was recognizably Spock at a different chapter in his life than TOS. They presented Spock as messy and bearded and on edge and insane, but at the end of DISCOVERY's second season, Spock walked onto the bridge of the Enterprise in the Starfleet blue with his hair trimmed and his beard gone, once again the recognizable Spock. Maybe they should have given Lieutenant Kirk a non-Kirk outfit, maybe a variant on that green wraparound that Kirk sometimes wore.

ireactions wrote:

The Farragut incident is summarized in the Season 2 TOS episode "Obsession" where Kirk recounts how, as a lieutenant  aboard that ship, there was an attack from a space vampire cloud creature of sorts which killed numerous crewmen including the captain, an incident that left Kirk traumatized and obsessed with hunting the creature down once it resurfaced during Kirk's captaincy of the Enterprise.

Maybe the intent is to eventually show this incident and it would explain the difference.  Maybe Kirk isn't assertive enough with his captain about the space vampire (deferring to him) and that blows up in his face.  Maybe he tries to think through a problem and ends up waiting too long and learns he needs to act first.  I'm not sure.

I like this version of Kirk, but I've liked every version of Kirk.  I don't love that we keep retreading this era, and I don't like how Kirk's story ends*.  But I like watching any version of this character and seeing people's interpretations of him.

* I hope Terry Matalas gets to make Star Trek Legacy and brings Shatner back.  It seems like there was some reason they referenced Kirk in the Section 31...museum?

The canon is all over the place, but the feeling is that the Farragut incident already has happened, at this point.  The cloud entity did not damage ships.  Given that young Kirk survived, and the Farragut needing a large scale crew replacement, it would make sense that his time on that ship allowed him to be promoted very quickly, given the loss of many senior personnel.  It might still be a Lt. but as Sam whined, he is the X.O. of that ship.

Grizzlor wrote:

The canon is all over the place, but the feeling is that the Farragut incident already has happened, at this point.  The cloud entity did not damage ships.  Given that young Kirk survived, and the Farragut needing a large scale crew replacement, it would make sense that his time on that ship allowed him to be promoted very quickly, given the loss of many senior personnel.  It might still be a Lt. but as Sam whined, he is the X.O. of that ship.

There isn't actually anything to confirm that the space cloud vampire incident happened before or after STRANGE NEW WORLDS. It's possible that Kirk being the executive officer is a hint; another hint is Christine Chapel in "Memento Mori" saying she served on the Farragut and putting on a remembrance pin for fallen comrades. But it wasn't said outright.

Memory Alpha, the TREK fan wikia, says that the space cloud vampire attack happened in 2257, two years before SNW's Season 2 (2259). But the original STAR TREK never actually provided any specific dates and contradictorily claimed to be set in the 22nd and 28th centuries.

The 2257 date is (I think) a conjectured date, probably provided in THE STAR TREK CHRONOLOGY, a licensed guidebook from Michael and Denise Okuda. But the CHRONOLOGY labels many of the years it provides as conjectural dates, not onscreen dates; STRANGE NEW WORLDS could easily ignore the guidebook and take the position that, with no actual date provided onscreen for the space cloud vampire attack, that it hasn't happened as of Season 2.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Maybe the intent is to eventually show this incident and it would explain the difference.  Maybe Kirk isn't assertive enough with his captain about the space vampire (deferring to him) and that blows up in his face.  Maybe he tries to think through a problem and ends up waiting too long and learns he needs to act first.  I'm not sure.

Well, that would track with the story in "Obsession" where Kirk hesitated to fire phasers on the creature and blamed himself for the deaths of the crewmen. Maybe Kirk realized he needed to work harder to be more convincing and to get people to take him seriously but also amiably.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I like this version of Kirk, but I've liked every version of Kirk.  I don't love that we keep retreading this era, and I don't like how Kirk's story ends*.  But I like watching any version of this character and seeing people's interpretations of him.

* I hope Terry Matalas gets to make Star Trek Legacy and brings Shatner back.  It seems like there was some reason they referenced Kirk in the Section 31...museum?

Well, the hope was to resurrect Kirk at some point in some future production, if not as William Shatner, then as a new actor.

I've never been happy with Kirk's death, but I was very happy with the ten William Shatner novels (THE ASHES OF EDEN, THE RETURN, AVENGER, SPECTRE, DARK VICTORY, PRESERVER, CAPTAIN'S PERIL, CAPTAIN'S BLOOD, CAPTAIN'S GLORY, COLLISION COURSE) which resurrected Kirk after GENERATIONS and kept him in the 24th century with Kirk having adventures between the TNG movies with Picard and Spock and then after NEMESIS before the final book focused on Kirk's first days in Starfleet Academy. To me, this is a disappointment that was addressed and resolved. But not everyone has time to read and enjoy ten William Shatner novels.

I haven't read the Shatnerverse novels, but I love the way they resurrected Kirk.  I would love to see him resurrected in some way and get a proper sendoff.

Hopefully another show is greenlighted.  I know SNW and Lower Decks will continue and they're working on a Section 31 film, but that's the only Trek that's coming once Discovery ends, right?

Currently, PRODIGY is set to return on some other streaming service as post production is nearly complete. LOWER DECKS and STRANGE NEW WORLDS are expected to continue, but it's impossible to say what will come as Hollywood is currently shuttered under a writers and actors strike where they have every reason to strike and every advantage on their side and everything to gain.

I'd be interested to re-read the Shatnerverse novels to see how well they hold up. THE ASHES OF EDEN, for me, is super-awkward because it features a terrifying and self-flattering portrait where Shatner has a 66 year old Kirk fall in love with a 20 year old Romulan-Klingon woman named Teilani. It is creepy and it made me wonder what the hell was wrong with Shatner.

THE RETURN is excellent, showing Kirk basically as Jason Bourne (more the movie than the book), an amnesiac renegade who is convinced that Captain Picard is his enemy. As Kirk hunts down Picard, Kirk trounces Worf in a fight, outdraws Geordi in a phaser battle, gets the drop on Data, and Kirk nearly murders Picard with his bare hands until Riker (of all people!) gets the drop on Kirk. There are also terrifying scenes of Spock, Picard and Dr. Crusher infiltrating a Borg cube, and then a wonderfully revitalizing sequence where Spock uses the mind meld to restore Kirk's true identity and McCoy and Spock have a joyful reunion with Kirk. There's also a real friendship between Kirk and Picard where they feel an instant connection as brothers; there's no experience they haven't shared. The book ends with a final assault on the Borg homeworld, Kirk disappears in an explosion, presumed dead once more, but Picard speculates that the flaming wreckage of the Borg homeworld is a better tribute to Kirk than the rocks that marked Kirk's grave on Veridian III.

AVENGER is... a little laboured and not amazing. The Federation is undergoing a horrific plague that has ravaged humanoids, animal and plant life; replicators no longer have the raw material needed to create enough food and water to sustain civilization. Kirk reappears and is reunited with Teilani, who is extremely long-lived as a Romulan-Klingon hybrid and she is now a century old, looks like a senior citizen human, is hideously scarred from the flesh-damaging effects of the plague. Kirk sees his 20 year old lover now an aged, facially-marred old lady... and loves her just as much as he did in THE ASHES OF EDEN; so I guess that's okay then. Kirk deals with the plague and then retires to the planet Chal with Teilani.

SPECTRE, DARK VICTORY and PRESERVER feature Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Picard and Teilani teaming up with the Mirror Universe version of Spock to take on Emperor Tiberius, the mirror-alternate of Kirk. PRESERVER also features the birth of Kirk's son with Teilani. The infant looks like a hideous infant monster; Kirk is horrified and repulsed. But then McCoy determines that the baby boy is simply a human-Romulan-Klingon hybrid and possessed of a gentle nature and a highly developed brain; Kirk accepts that his son may look strange but is nevertheless his son and names the boy Joseph. (I'm sensing a theme here.) Also, SPECTRE explains that the Borg attack on Earth in FIRST CONTACT was a direct response to the Federation taking out the Borg homeworld in THE RETURN.

CAPTAIN'S PERIL, CAPTAIN'S BLOOD and CAPTAIN'S GLORY feature Kirk going on a vacation on Bajor with Picard (yes, really), discovering that after the events of NEMESIS that the Remans want to adopt the now older Joseph Kirk as their new Shinzon, and that an enemy from Kirk's first five year mission, the Totality, is returning for a second attempt to destroy the Federation. This was pretty solid, although I confess, the whole gimmick of Kirk in the 24th century had been pretty comprehensively explored by the the last five novels, and these three novels were entering the realm of diminishing returns.

The final book in the series was COLLISION COURSE which features a teenaged Jim Kirk who loathes Starfleet after the events of "The Conscience of the King" where Starfleet failed to save a starving colony where Kirk loved before the insane governor ordered mass executions to extend the remaining food supply. Kirk is a criminal hacker trying to reveal Starfleet's corruption to the public; he gets mixed up with a teenaged Spock who is investigating a cover-up in the Vulcan embassy that leads to Starfleet. Both Kirk and Spock are arrested for hacking and breaking and entering; both are inexplicably offered a plea deal: they can enlist in Starfleet Academy as cadets or they can go to jail. They enlist and discover that while there are corrupt elements in Starfleet, there are also heroic individuals, one of whom arranged for Kirk and Spock to be offered their plea deal in order to expose a secret cabal.

This is all geeky stuff, but I felt that the Shatnerverse novels did a good job of making all this dense STAR TREK mythology content extremely accessible and compelling to the average reader who might not necessarily have watched or remembered every single TOS episode. The Shatnerverse books were written for a more casual audience in that regard while still really speaking to a diehard fan audience.

ireactions wrote:

As Kirk hunts down Picard, Kirk trounces Worf in a fight, outdraws Geordi in a phaser battle, gets the drop on Data, and Kirk nearly murders Picard with his bare hands until Riker (of all people!) gets the drop on Kirk.

That makes sense, though, right?  Isn't Riker essentially Kirk 2.0?

561 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-08-03 03:32:04)

Ugh. This week it's a musical episode on Strange New Worlds. In general, I hate musicals unless they feature a few specific artists I enjoy (Cleavant, and others). I stopped watching The Simpsons when every episode turned into a musical around season 10. The Buffy musical episode (Once More With Feeling) was the exception, very well done, and was exceptional.

In general, I also have to be in a specific mood with a desire to watch a musical as opposed to a standard episode.

I guess I'll just wait until next week when normal programming resumes.

The voices and music in these types of musicals just don't have the deepness or richness of resonance and musicality I tend to enjoy. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I usually don't like musicals either.  I think the Flash did a decent job with it.  And I actually love the Always Sunny musical episode.

I'll see how this one is.

I thought the musical was well done and many of the songs were pretty catchy.  I always want to complain when I think the premise is pretty silly, but I feel like Trek has been pretty silly this entire time.

Does sliders have an equivalent?

https://youtu.be/Oz1c1xdoUFc

No. There was never a musical episode of Sliders.

The one episode that came close was The King Is Back, but I wouldn't call it a musical, since it wasn't a sing fest from start to finish.

I would watch it, though. I love Tracy's song writing and I think he would make it fabulous.

QuinnSlidr wrote:

The one episode that came close was The King Is Back, but I wouldn't call it a musical, since it wasn't a sing fest from start to finish.

I would watch it, though. I love Tracy's song writing and I think he would make it fabulous.

I love the response and agree with you

However if you click the YouTube video in my post you'll see I was referring to something else lol

QuinnSlidr wrote:

However if you click the YouTube video in my post you'll see I was referring to something else lol

LOL. My fault. I thought it was a supporting video comment...

Anyway...

Yes!! Sliders has an equivalent. Presenting the Professor Maximillian Arturo "Blistering Idiot" Compilation:

https://youtu.be/unIyuBOE3c8

QuinnSlidr wrote:
QuinnSlidr wrote:

LOL. My fault. I thought it was a supporting video comment...

Anyway...

Yes!! Sliders has an equivalent. Presenting the Professor Maximillian Arturo "Blistering Idiot" Compilation:

https://youtu.be/unIyuBOE3c8

ha!

what about "We're from Canada"?

I guess for a musical episode, it was fine, but just not necessary.

Grizzlor wrote:

I guess for a musical episode, it was fine, but just not necessary.

It was absolutely necessary for the storyline with Spock and Christine.

The musical episode features the Spock/Christine breakup and it happens in a shockingly humiliating and horrific manner for Spock, making a public spectacle of how she is leaving him and leaving Enterprise and didn't even tell him that she was departing until nearly everyone else knew -- except it's not totally Christine's fault.

Christine applied for a fellowship and got in, but held off on telling Spock, wanting to break up with him privately and personally, only to be unexpectedly feted in the crew lounge by friends who were present when she first received the news. She isn't happy about the celebration because there's currently a crisis and she hasn't had a chance to speak with Spock.

Spock sees her and asks why she didn't tell him that she is ending her time on Enterprise and their relationship as well. Christine asks to speak privately, but Spock, needing to trigger a song for more data to resolve the musical security crisis, elects to ask Christine to explain herself in the lounge with a large number of crew present to witness it.

Christine proceeds to belt out a lengthy song with dance accompaniment about how the fellowship is freedom and ambition, and the song indicates that Spock doesn't even factor into Christine's considerations except an afterthought comment about how she wouldn't hesitate to ditch him for a great job. It's not that she contemplated what it would mean to leave him, she flat-out didn't spare him a moment of thought.

Spock been humiliated in front of his shipmates, treated as a joke and an irrelevance in the most insulting fashion possible. He has sacrificed his own dignity and self-esteem to save everyone else's. I've followed Spock's career across TV, movies, novels and comics and I think this is one of the most heroic things Spock ever did. Yes, he died saving the crew in WRATH OF KHAN, but in "Subspace Rhapsody", he has to watch Christine crush every hope he ever had for their romantic relationship in public in a mortifyingly embarrassing display for all to see, and continue face his crewmates after that.

Christine is dismissive and hurtful towards Spock. It's only understandable because the music is making Christine say private things in public, and also because in "Those Old Scientists", where she found out from Boimler that the future Spock will close off his human side, confirming that Christine and Spock's romance has no future.

It's understandable that after that, Christine realized she couldn't let her not-to-last relationship with Spock be a factor in her career decisions. At the same time, due to Christine's withdrawal and silence, and due to Spock refusing to go somewhere private to discuss it (for scientific reasons), Spock is humiliated in full view of the crew happily celebrating how Christine is dumping Spock.

It is a grotesque scene. And without the musical situation where Christine is genuinely not able to moderate and control her emotional expressions and Spock is deliberately triggering them to restore everyone else's privacy, Christine would be a complete monster to behave this way. The musical plot device was essential for making sure there was some outside force to justify otherwise unforgivable behaviour.

It's also quite a moment that really demonstrates why Spock is such an icon and a beloved figure of STAR TREK. He will give up his own dignity to save ours. Spock truly is our friend.

Your entire missive on Chapel/Spock was SPOILER rendered moot as a result of the season finale.  LOL

I don't know what you're talking about. My comments were about the Spock/Chapel breakup in "Subspace Rhapsody". Spock and Chapel have some significant scenes in "Hegemony", but they are still broken up in the episode.

Furthermore, the fellowship for which Chapel is leaving is with Dr. Roger Korby; THE ORIGINAL SERIES establishes that Chapel was engaged to Dr. Korby, so STRANGE NEW WORLDS intends to send Chapel to work with Dr. Korby.

But even if they weren't, what was said and sung in "Subspace Rhapsody" is what happened in "Subspace Rhapsody" and Chapel's reasons for the breakup in "Subspace Rhapsody" remain the reasons that she gave in "Subspace Rhapsody".

Given that my comments about "Subspace Rhapsody" are about the events of "Subspace Rhapsody", I don't see what "Hegemony" could do to render it moot; "Hegemony" could have opened with Chapel waking up and describing the events of "Subspace Rhapsody" as a nightmare and my review of the scenes in "Subspace Rhapsody" would still stand as the review of the scenes in "Subspace Rhapsody".

In other news: PRODIGY got an update on its production:
https://screenrant.com/star-trek-prodig … on-update/

There continues to be no news on THE ORVILLE.

573 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-08-13 20:32:46)

Finally able to watch the latest episode of SNW. At last back to real Trek that I can immerse myself in and get away from reality for a while without freaking below average singing or musicals. Ugh.

With everything we're going through after the death of my stepdad, it's the wrong time for a musical and I have zero patience for this artificial "joy" bullsh*t that Trek had to force on us. For the time being (and likely for at least 6 months from now) I will not be watching that musical episode. Or any, for that matter.

I liked the finale.  Very tense.

I will need our Trek historian ireactions to help me understand if we're screwing up continuity too much with this much interaction with the Gorn.  My limited understanding was that Starfleet hadn't really seen the Gorn until Kirk and that the Federation hadn't really interacted with them a ton.

I also struggle to see how this species became technologically advanced, but maybe I'm just not being creative enough.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I liked the finale.  Very tense.

I will need our Trek historian ireactions to help me understand if we're screwing up continuity too much with this much interaction with the Gorn.  My limited understanding was that Starfleet hadn't really seen the Gorn until Kirk and that the Federation hadn't really interacted with them a ton.

I also struggle to see how this species became technologically advanced, but maybe I'm just not being creative enough.

It's not a stretch to think that what we perceive as growls and threatening communication and "Monsters" from the Gorn may actually be attempts to communicate.

But, what do I know...I'll wait for ireactions on this one. smile

To quote Bill Shatner, Get a Life, it's....it's just a TV show!"

I've been battling with people on the trekbbs boards on this, you cannot really expect this writing staff to be connecting everything they do with the minutia of TOS canon.

Grizzlor wrote:

I've been battling with people on the trekbbs boards on this, you cannot really expect this writing staff to be connecting everything they do with the minutia of TOS canon.

I mean...you have to at least try, right?  That's the problem with doing prequels.  It's exciting to have a scary new villain, but it has to fit into what we already know. 

And to be fair, I have no idea if this is a violation.  I haven't seen Arena in a very long time.  I just know that the Gorn weren't mentioned at all in any of the TNG-era shows so the continuity probably isn't super important.  Maybe there's a war and they agree to just have no contact. 

Again, I love SNW.  It's quickly shooting up the list of my favorite Trek shows, and all things considered, it might be my favorite.  But it being Pike and Spoke and Uhura doesn't really add to it for me.  Pike is a great character, but if his name was Lester Fairburn and he was a captain of the USS Knoxville in 2512, it wouldn't really change anything for me.  As I've said, I just want to move the story forward.  And I feel that way about basically any prequel.  You're just asking for trouble when you don't really need it.

578 (edited by ireactions 2023-08-16 09:36:12)

QuinnSlidr wrote:

It's not a stretch to think that what we perceive as growls and threatening communication and "Monsters" from the Gorn may actually be attempts to communicate.

But, what do I know...I'll wait for ireactions on this one. smile

My supposition at this point would be that most of the onscreen Gorn in STRANGE NEW WORLDS are young, infant, feral Gorn with whom the universal translator has no ability to interpret, at least for now. The humanoid Gorn of "Arena" was an adult Gorn, and the universal translator still seemed to struggle until the Metrons stepped in.

Also, we don't know that these feral Gorn or the savage adult Gorn of "Arena" are a representative consensus of all Gorn. Twitter isn't a representative consensus of the human race, after all, nor is Sliders.tv a full representation of all science fiction and fantasy fans.

Case in point:

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I will need our Trek historian ireactions to help me understand if we're screwing up continuity too much with this much interaction with the Gorn.  My limited understanding was that Starfleet hadn't really seen the Gorn until Kirk and that the Federation hadn't really interacted with them a ton. I also struggle to see how this species became technologically advanced, but maybe I'm just not being creative enough.

Grizzlor wrote:

To quote Bill Shatner, Get a Life, it's....it's just a TV show!" I've been battling with people on the trekbbs boards on this, you cannot really expect this writing staff to be connecting everything they do with the minutia of TOS canon.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I mean...you have to at least try, right?  That's the problem with doing prequels.  It's exciting to have a scary new villain, but it has to fit into what we already know.  And to be fair, I have no idea if this is a violation.  I haven't seen Arena in a very long time.  I just know that the Gorn weren't mentioned at all in any of the TNG-era shows so the continuity probably isn't super important.  Maybe there's a war and they agree to just have no contact.

I think that it's fair for a fan to observe that fiction in an ongoing franchise written by numerous creators over decades isn't going to have seamless continuity. At the same time, I think it's a fun game to try to stitch the gaps of continuity back together.

I think the "Get a life" remark might be better applied to those who engage in "battling" about continuity on TrekBBS. I personally like to think that Sliders.tv isn't that sort of community.

In THE ORIGINAL SERIES episode "Arena", the Enterprise crew definitely doesn't recognize the Gorn; the Metrons tell the crew the name of the Gorn. Kirk says in his log, "This is Captain James Kirk of the Starship Enterprise. Who ever finds this, please get it to Starfleet Command. I'm engaged in personal combat with a creature apparently called a Gorn." This doesn't track with STRANGE NEW WORLDS set around a decade before "Arena" where the Gorn are known to the Federation, albeit with few survivors to tell about them. STRANGE NEW WORLDS is not maintaining continuity with "Arena".

However, I'd like to think that here on Sliders.tv, when we discuss continuity breaks like this one and how they might be bridged, we aren't really quibbling about who said and did what in what frame of what episode. We are really discussing storytelling: how stories told by many hands over many decades will have variability in themes and details and interpretations of the mythology, how well those interpretations fit together or don't, and how these interpretations reflect different eras of TV.

"Arena" was written by Gene L. Coon in the 60s and on that 60s production model, the Gorn was an alien made for one episode with a rubber suit made for use in one episode. Writer Gene L. Coon gave zero thought to how the Gorn might recur or what their backstory might be in prequels or what their society or culture or origins could be. They were an enemy for Kirk to pursue, to be imperiled by, to defeat, and to spare. The elaborate rubber suit meant it took multiple performers just to play one Gorn, so the Gorn would not be effective as a recurring foe and this was definitely a one-off. The casting and costuming needed for Gorn are why they didn't return until ENTEPRRISE. "Arena" is so determined to contain the story to a single episode that they introduce godlike beings, the Metrons, to force the story to a conclusion.

The Gorn being different in continuity and approach in STRANGE NEW WORLDS speaks to how modern TV wants to create a mythology and a past, present and future for the Gorn in order to use them across many episodes and make them an identifiable part of this particular show's mythos and iconography.

One possibility for why Kirk in "Arena" didn't recognize the Gorn: the Gorn in STRANGE NEW WORLDS are seen obscured by suits or not fully grown or in a non-humanoid form, feral and wild rather than the fully-grown, humanoid Gorn in "Arena". Federation society didn't have a coherent, consistent portrayal of the Gorn and the Gorn, while public knowledge, weren't widely known or recognized and popular memory simply categorized them as "unknown alien" with the other unknown aliens.

A similar tactic was used in ENTERPRISE: when the Ferengi and the Borg showed up two centuries before Starfleet officially first encountered them, but their races were never identified during ENTERPRISE, and these pre-First Contact contacts weren't recorded. However, this is going to take a lot of having Kirk conveniently being absent whenever the Gorn were an issue, and I'm not sure STRANGE NEW WORLDS can sustain that when Starfleet admirals are bracing for war with the Gorn and the name is known.

The blanket possibility is that the Romulan-Federation temporal incursions, in pushing the Eugenics Wars to later in time, also altered the Federation to advance at a faster rate into space to leave behind Earth's past conflicts. The Federation in this new timeline met the Gorn earlier, so the events of "Arena" will occur with Kirk recognizing the Gorn, knowing of them as the voraciously predatory monsters of STRANGE NEW WORLDS and pursuing them vengefully only to show mercy when realizing that humans have (accidentally) been breaching Gorn territory in ways that (to the Gorn) seem like invasion. The time travel of "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" actually explains pretty much every interseries discrepancy of the STAR TREK franchise.

Again, this isn't something that anyone ever needs to be "battling" over. TrekBBS can be hilarious. Sometimes, TrekBBS will be screaming blue murder over a starship Enterprise that predates the NX-01 and have a heart attack over Christine Chapel being written as a capable career woman who can enjoy casual sex. Sometimes, TrekBBS will insist that Section 31 is totally an official part of Starfleet and insist that no one on DEEP SPACE NINE ever had any specific dialogue that specifically said that S31 was outside the Starfleet chain of command.

The reality is that fans have always had to stitch together discontinuities, often within individual shows themselves. Of all the shows, THE ORIGINAL SERIES has the most discontinuities within itself and with its sequels and prequels.

THE ORIGINAL SERIES can't keep track of what century it's supposed to be. It's set in the 22nd or 28th century. Kirk's employer goes from being United Earth Space Probe Agency to Spacefleet to Space Central to Space Command to Starfleet. Kirk's government goes from being United Earth to the Federation to the United Federation of Planets. Spock's people go from being the conquered Vulcanians to the Vulcans who founded the United Federation of Planets with humans. The Enterprise alternatively has spheres or vents on its back nacelles depending on what stock footage they were using that week.

Part of the fun of STAR TREK, I think, is coming up with increasingly insane explanations for all of this as we eventually get to the altered Klingons and uncharacteristic unreliability of the transporter in THE MOTION PICTURE to World War III being shifted forward in THE NEXT GENERATION. Or Data having emotions and using contractions in TNG Season 1 only to become more machinelike in Season 2.

Then there's "Turnabout Intruder" declaring women can't be starship captains when ENTERPRISE shows the NX-02 captained by Erica Hernandez. Or VOYAGER and PICARD visiting the 90s and 2020s with no sign of the Eugenics Wars or World War III, the Borg Cooperative of PICARD's second season dismissed as the Borg Collective returned. Or DEEP SPACE NINE declaring that Sisko's father is dead only for Joseph Sisko to be alive and well and running a successful restaurant in San Francisco.

This stuff happens. I think "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" is going to be a good continuity patch for decades, explaining why the Federation and Starfleet didn't seem to exist until the middle of TOS Season 1.

But there comes a point when it's more worthwhile to discuss the variations in storytelling and when it comes to continuity. What stands out to me: Gene L. Coon created the Gorn as an inhuman monster: its reptillian appearance makes it impossible to anthropomorphize the design with human expressions. It's designed to look predatory and bloodthirsty. But Kirk chooses not to put the Gorn down as a monster, but instead spare him as a person and try to make peace with the species.

Compare that to the first Kirk episodes of STAR TREK, "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "The Man Trap" where Gene Roddenberry's STAR TREK is about being threatened by monsters whom Kirk and company exterminate with explosives and phaser fire. Roddenberry got distracted by merchandising STAR TREK and Coon took over as showrunner and in "Arena", he completed the transition and changed STAR TREK from being about soldiers in space to peacekeepers in space with "Arena" declaring that the Gorn, whatever its crimes, however frightful it might be, was still a person. So far, STRANGE NEW WORLDS has presented the Gorn as monsters, but the story isn't over yet.

Hopefully, STRANGE NEW WORLDS won't pull a Season 2 DISCOVERY and put everything under a classified non-listing to never be discussed. I think you can only get away with that once and Slider_Quinn21 would argue that you can't get away with it at all.

Anyway. In 2013, there was a STAR TREK videogame to tie into INTO DARKNESS. I've never played it and it's by all accounts an abomination akin to "Spock's Brain", but the commercial advertising it with William Shatner and the Gorn was a delight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hnBp7x2QAE

QuinnSlidr wrote:

Finally able to watch the latest episode of SNW. At last back to real Trek that I can immerse myself in and get away from reality for a while without freaking below average singing or musicals. Ugh.

With everything we're going through after the death of my stepdad, it's the wrong time for a musical and I have zero patience for this artificial "joy" bullsh*t that Trek had to force on us. For the time being (and likely for at least 6 months from now) I will not be watching that musical episode. Or any, for that matter.

There are times in my life when I have felt really upset and hurt, and anything that didn't reflect or accommodate my grief and rage seemed stupid, ridiculous, absurd and nonsensical. It's okay if STAR TREK or a musical is just not what you need right now.

However, I can say that "Subspace Rhapsody" is a rather cynical, downcast episode that is only made bearable through the guardedly optimistic tone of the songs. La'an discovers that her passion and desires crash straight into reality. Spock discovers that everything he was worried about happening and hoping wouldn't happen to him is in fact happening and it happens in the most humiliating way possible. The best that can be said is that Captain Pike was able to shift major embarrassment into minor embarrassment and Uhura got a lot of console hours in. That's not to say you should watch it, but I can assure you that it isn't a joyful episode, but a nuanced one that reflects how life can be pretty disappointing sometimes (and often).

Don't get me wrong - I don't remember enough about TOS to really care whether or not they break continuity.  I get that continuity, especially in that era, is fragile.  And I really don't care enough about any of it to really get bothered.

What makes me a little crazy is that *they seem to care*.  By choosing to do a prequel, the writers/producers/creators care about the continuity.  Otherwise, why do a prequel at all?  For a mainstream movie like Star Trek 09, maybe you do a full reboot with a new cast because you want to reach the right audience.  And you pick the characters that have the most cultural footprint - some random person in Wisconsin or South Carolina is going to know Captain Kirk before they know Captain Janeway or Captain Sisko.  So you pick the most famous characters and hope to get the biggest audience.

But as we've discussed before, there's no reason to do Discovery in the pre-TOS era except for the fact that they wanted to borrow some of the credibility that comes with Spock and that specific era.  But they didn't even really want to do that (maybe Brian Fuller did) because they had new uniforms, new sets, new Klingons.  They were distancing themselves from that era, and they eventually just abandoned that idea anyway.

Strange New Worlds made a similar decision.  I don't know if the Enterprise crew was put on Discovery as a backdoor pilot to a new show, but you gotta think that was part of the decision.  But instead of taking a great cast and making a new show in a new era, they decided to do another prequel.  And this one lent itself to being a prequel with the same uniforms and some of the same storylines.  So they have to care about the continuity because why else wouldn't they just do something new.  They like this era, they like the uniforms and they like the characters.

And when you do a prequel, you're choosing to live dangerously.  When Picard decided to do a follow-up, they can do whatever they want.  They could make Picard a father or bring back the Enterprise D or have Q fight the Borg Queen.  It's all new so it doesn't matter.  If they'd decided to say that Picard was a father for the entirety of TNG and just never mentioned it...that's an issue.

Because, to me, the point of the a prequel is to flesh out the stories that have already been told.  You learn about Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship and it colors the way they talk about each other in A New Hope.  It isn't perfect and maybe the story sucks but that's the whole point of the prequels - to flesh out the story.

If you're just telling new stories in an existing timeline, it's like going back in time.  If you're not super careful, you're going to change something.  It's just too dangerous.

If I ran Trek, I'd make the executive decision that no prequels.  If you go back in time, it looks like the 60s in the TOS era and the 80s/90s in the TNG era.  That's just how it looked.  If you want things to look better, tell a story set in the future.  The model was perfect when TNG jumped forward a century.  Things look better because technology got better.  End of story.

Strange New Worlds is way better than Discovery, and I'm willing to forgive any continuity errors.  I just don't like the idea of retreading if there's no narrative reason to do that.  Strange New Worlds in the 26th century is still a great show.

While I like STRANGE NEW WORLDS-showrunner Akiva Goldsman's work, I feel that Goldsman's use of Section 31 in DISCOVERY and the Gorn in STRANGE NEW WORLDS reflects a lack of creativity.

Why the Gorn? It's a fair question. If Goldsman wanted STRANGE NEW WORLDS to have a primary villain the way THE NEXT GENERATION has the Borg and DEEP SPACE NINE has the Dominion and ENTERPRISE had Brannon Braga -- why didn't he create a new one? Why did he instead choose a one-off villain from "Arena"?

I don't know, but I do notice that Section 31 featured heavily on DISCOVERY under Goldsman. It made no sense for Section 31, established as a black-ops team outside Starfleet, to be presented on DISCOVERY as a generic spy branch within the Starfleet chain of command. It would seem Goldsman wanted the recognition of the name "Section 31" over "Starfleet Intelligence", and if it weren't for the Section 31 name, the spy branch on DISCOVERY would be unmemorable and indistinct.

And with the Gorn, it would seem Goldsman wanted an underfeatured but well-remembered name from THE ORIGINAL SERIES to serve as the STRANGE NEW WORLDS villain, and prioritized the name over any previously established characteristics of the Gorn.

The Gorn of SNW are known to the Federation instead of unfamiliar; they're a quadriped-reptillian variant on ALIENS-style parasites instead of humanoid bipeds, they're nimble and fast rather than strong and slow; they're active invaders rather than defending perceived threats to territory.

It's like Goldsman decided to use the Gorn name for the recognition factor, even when the parasite villains he'd written didn't resemble the Gorn in "Arena" and contradicted the first Federation/Gorn encounter in "Arena". Goldsman's use of "Gorn" was to add identity and meaning to an otherwise generic space-parasite monster that, if given an original name, would be utterly unremarkable.

Goldsman has his strengths and weaknesses. I think he captures the progressive, diverse, peacekeeping tone of STAR TREK and Starfleet as well as Gene L. Coon and certainly better than Gene Roddenberry. I'm impressed by Goldsman's daring: casting swimsuit model Rebecca Romijn (a person not known for her acting) to play the highly intellectual Number One was a baffling choice. But it turns out Romijn is actually a brilliant actress who is spectacular as Number One.

However, Goldsman is not as creative as Gene L. Coon (Starfleet, the United Federation of Planets), Maurice Hurley (the Borg), Ira Steven Behr (the Dominion and Section 31). Goldsman has not created anything as vital as Starfleet, the Federation, the Borg, the Dominion or Section 31... and is instead assigning the names of inventive concepts to extremely generic ideas.

Ira Steven Behr doesn't seem too busy right now. Maybe Goldsman should call him up to create some new villains.

Why a prequel?

From what I can tell, STRANGE NEW WORLDS was not originally planned. Bryan Fuller wanted to do a STAR TREK anthology show that would start before TOS and then time travel into the TNG-DS9-VOY era and then go forward. Fuller wanted to do a neo-retro look to TOS that was going to look... pretty much like STRANGE NEW WORLDS. Then Fuller got himself fired.

Why Fuller keeps getting fired from his own TV shows (DEAD LIKE ME, DISCOVERY, AMERICAN GODS, AMAZING STORIES, THE VAMPIRE CHRONICLES) is probably a post in itself.

According to interviews, Akiva Goldsman (of BATMAN AND ROBIN feature film infamy and FRINGE renown) joined DISCOVERY after Fuller left. Goldsman had agreed to join DISCOVERY sight unseen, simply eager to be part of a STAR TREK show. Goldsman had assumed that this prequel would feature a revamped-retro look on THE ORIGINAL SERIES and feature Captain Pike, Number One and Spock.

Goldsman was baffled to discover that DISCOVERY featured no TOS characters and that CBS had rejected the retro costumes as looking too retro. CBS also demanded that DISCOVERY start shooting. With the clock ticking, Goldsman and the costume designers went with a new variant on the ENTEPRISE costumes because they knew CBS would approve them, grabbed whatever unfinished scripts and napkin-notes Fuller had left, and hurriedly began scripting and shooting. Goldsman wasn't in a position to start over with DISCOVERY, but it would seem he steered the show towards the Season 1 finale in which the Enterprise NCC-1701 rendezvous with the Discovery, the first step in reconciling DISCOVERY with TOS. Goldsman pushed for Pike, Spock and Number One to appear in Season 2, and pitched STRANGE NEW WORLDS, the show he had mistakenly thought DISCOVERY would be.

... why does Bryan Fuller keep getting fired from TV shows? I am trying to think of a way to offer my theory without being sued for libel. It's easier to be frank about David Peckinpah and Bill Dial because they're dead. I think I'll finish my Kirk vs. Riker post first.

I think the anthology show would've been great and a nice reintroduction to Trek.  For me, setting Discovery during the TOS era just makes things so difficult.  I think if Discovery had been set in the 25th century with the spore drive as a brand-new technology, with Burnham as the sister of another (new) famous Vulcan, and the zealot aliens being something else instead of the Klingons, I think the show could have been a tier greater than it was.  And yet, the show kept writing itself into corners that it didn't know how to get out of until it had to jump centuries into the future and force everyone left behind to swear the first two seasons to secrecy.

It's just a mess and it's a mess that wasn't necessary.  Nothing about Discovery season 1 requires it to be set in the TOS era, and if they weren't going to do an anthology series, setting it in a new era is the logical decision.

It doesn't matter, though.  Discovery was set during the TOS era, and it was all sworn to secrecy.  The muddled canon becomes more muddled, but it's fine.  I still watch Discovery (and look forward to its final season) and I still love Strange New Worlds.  Its fun to complain, but that's the heart of it.

ireactions wrote:

In the novel THE RETURN... Kirk nearly murders Picard with his bare hands until Riker (of all people!) gets the drop on Kirk.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

That makes sense, though, right?

I feel Shatner was, despite not being a natural athlete, very good at faking Kirk's physical aptitude for hand to hand combat. In contrast, Jonathan Frakes clearly has a back injury that restricts his movements. (It's also why Frakes throws his legs over the back of chairs instead of lowering himself into them.) In the book, Riker tricks Kirk into a trap.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Isn't Riker essentially Kirk 2.0?

Ah. No. I understand that Kirk and Riker are both men of action in command positions and seem popular with women, but there, the similarities end. Riker's character is underexplored because we generally only see him with his colleagues and he only has a moderate amount of authority over them. Most people associate Riker's character with Jonathan Frakes' warm screen presence.

However, the reality of Riker: he behaves in classist, elitist, manipulative fashion and he exerts emotional pressure on his subordinates, which is everyone on the Enterprise-D who isn't Picard, Data, Worf, Geordi, Crusher and Troi.

We only have a few instances of Riker interacting with non-senior staff, and all are revealing: in "Hollow Pursuits", Barclay is clearly terrified of Riker and Riker is brusque and severe.

In "Thine Own Self", when running Troi's command aptitude test and in an unusual position of power over her, Riker is devoid of instruction or encouragement, completely devoid of empathy, allowing her to suffer and strain and break down.

In "Lower Decks", Riker is condescending, dismissive and cold to every junior crew member as he conducts their performance reviews. Riker has absolutely no regard for anyone who isn't on his level on the Enterprise organizational chart.

Riker is everything that Number One would consider wrong about a command officer and everything Kirk rejects as a command officer. Number One's song, "Connect to Your Crew", is the embodiment of how Kirk treated his staff aboard the Enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l43M1b0fK4

Kirk clearly knew every red shirt's name and was regularly having lunch with his operations and security and science officers in the comissary. Kirk gave orders with a tone of humour and warmth and presented himself as a captain whom any crew member should feel comfortable talking to about anything. Kirk could be severe in a conflict or when dealing with an insubordinate subordinate, but he was a highly affable authority figure.

However, Kirk is a bit of a fantasy figure, coming off more as a not for profit project manager in a peacekeeping organization. Riker, in contrast, is distinctly from the culture of the US Navy where a ship's executive officer, second in command under the captain, is tasked with maximizing the performance of everyone else. Riker's behaviour is not particularly uncharacteristic of real life executive officers: distance and aloofness, emotional unavailability, terrifying subordinates into performing with no interest or regard for their personal hangups. The executive officer's job isn't to be everyone's friend, but to be the whip and boot to the backside. Emotional and psychological issues are not a factor, only labour and results.

I don't hold with that: I think it's a normalization of what easily becomes abuse and yields camouflage to abusers and harassers. Number One doesn't hold with that. Kirk doesn't hold with that. However, executive officers are also people who have to order their subordinates into dangerous situations and sometimes order them to their deaths. Executive officers maintain distance from their people so that they retain the capacity to send their people to die. Kirk's approach to command avoided having an executive officer, just an executive assistant, and Kirk suffered tremendous guilt and grief over his dead crewmen.

Riker, in contrast, probably slept better.

That said, Frakes puts in just enough levity in his performance to suggest: Riker didn't actually like treating his crew members with distance and disinterest, he felt it was his job to make them afraid of him and let Captain Picard be the command officer everyone loved. Riker was sparing Picard by taking on all the tasks that would make a commander unpopular; that's why Riker seemed to do all junior crew evaluations, run all crew aptitude tests and handle assigning all junior crew within Operations.

Throughout seven seasons of TNG and three films, Riker seems totally disinterested in commanding a ship of his own, not becoming a starship captain until NEMESIS. The explanation given is that Riker feels he hasn't learned all he has to learn as the Enterprise first officer and that Frakes' contract was for seven years. But if you wanted to come up with an explanation: it might be that Riker didn't like himself as a commander. He didn't like that he was a harsh master, he didn't trust himself to turn it off when he became a full-fledged captain, he didn't think he could transition to becoming a gentler leader, he didn't think he could assign the role of bad cop to someone else. Perhaps between the Season 7 finale and NEMESIS, Riker found a better way to be an executive officer and then accepted the captaincy of the Titan.

Anyway. Riker isn't really like Kirk. Kirk is a good boss. Riker is a bad boss.

My boss at work is a Kirk.

Interesting.  It's been a while since I've watched much TNG, but I've always thought that Riker's arc was that he was a highly ambitious and high-rising officer who really wanted to be the captain of a ship but who eventually enjoyed being on the Enterprise enough that he maybe got too comfortable and was essentially passed over and forgotten by Starfleet Command.  But it sounds like I'm pretty wrong about that.

As you know, I like to try and re-write certain pre-prestige-TV shows in my head.  I think a modern TNG would've had Riker show up as arrogant and defiant, thinking he's better than Picard and that he should be commanding the Enterprise.  Maybe a season one of constantly trying to communicate with his admiral buddies about open commands.  Maybe even to the point where Picard has to tell him to focus on his current job and not be focused on the others.  Maybe by the time we get to Best of Both Worlds, Riker and Picard are openly hostile towards each other.  And when he finally gets to command the Enterprise and Picard/Locutus wrecks him, it humbles Riker.  He asks a de-Borged Picard to mentor him and things get better.  Then maybe Riker finally gets offered a command and turns it down (like he did on the real show).  And by season 5 or 6, I think Riker should be thrust into command of his own ship and we'd see him grow that way.  Maybe that means Riker leaves the show, gets spun off into his own show, or the show focuses on two ships.

But thank you for your excellent analysis!

Throughout seven seasons of TNG, Riker was said to have turned down command of the USS Drake, the USS Aries, the USS Melbourne, and Q said in VOYAGER that he'd expected Riker to beat out Janeway for captaincy of Voyager. The explanation given is that he felt he had more to learn on the Enterprise, which is meaningless nonsense to justify Jonathan Frakes being on contract.

My head-canon analysis was that Riker felt his niche was handling all the tasks that tend to make a commander unpopular. He wasn't confident about inspiring loyalty.

I don't necessarily know that the William Thomas Riker I describe is the Riker that was intended. It's possible that Ronald D. Moore, Michael Piller, Brannon Braga and Jonathan Frakes would tell you: Riker wasn't normally like that and that my analysis is overinflating outlier examples.

However, my impression of Riker is reflected by most of the STAR TREK novelists I've read from fan favourites like Peter David to William Shatner himself. In THE RETURN, Shatner and co-writers Garfield and Judith Reeves-Stevens see Riker as the 'bad cop'. Riker aggressively questions Spock and Dr. Bashir on the resurrected Kirk and alienates both; Riker is ruthless and tricky in trapping Kirk; Riker is ready to shoot a senior citizen, Dr. McCoy, (on stun) when McCoy tries to defend a violent Kirk. Riker takes on work that others would hesitate to do for reasons of conscience.

As for a more pronounced arc for Riker:

There is a character on the medical sitcom, SCRUBS: Dr. Bob Kelso, the hospital chief of medicine. Dr. Kelso is always prioritizing wealthy patients over poor ones, focused on hospital budgets and actively sabotaging the spirit and comfort of his doctors and nurses. He also tries to prevents doctors from volunteering their own time to treat uninsured patients. He is constantly bragging to his lower-middle class staff about his lavish vacations. Kelso is the villain for the first four seasons, defied by the heroic doctors.

In the fifth season, we see Dr. Kelso shut down a pre-natal clinic for being unprofitable, and then he chooses to prioritize care for a rich patient which causes a poor patient to die. This is normal for Dr. Kelso except Season 5 actually offers his rationale: Dr. Kelso pressures the rich patient for a donation which reopens the pre-natal clinic. Dr. Kelso admits he has spent decades sacrificing the individual patient to save mass numbers of patients; his uncaring bitterness is a facade and defense mechanism.

We also later learn that all of Kelso's lavish vacations are a lie; he's going to medical conferences to update himself on new techniques.

It's unclear why Kelso presents himself so unflatteringly to his staff until Season 6. We learn that Dr. Kelso has been deliberately making it difficult for his doctors to treat uninsured patients to create deniability with insurance companies even as Kelso leaves his doctors just enough loopholes to get away with it.

We also have an episode where the doctors and nurses are distracted from work over arguments about the Iraq War. Dr. Kelso addresses this by discontinuing the employee discount at the coffee shop while sadistically flaunting how he retains the discount himself. The staff instantly set aside all political differences to unite in hatred for Dr. Kelso.

Season 7 retains this softening of Dr. Kelso; he has gone from "evil boss" to "practical realist who accepts all the tasks that make a boss unpopular". We also learn that Dr. Kelso has stayed in his job for far longer than is good for his sanity because he fears his successor could be everything Kelso only pretends to be.

Season 8 has Dr. Kelso retire after appointing an ideal replacement, but he keeps hanging out at the hospital to avoid his wife and enjoy the lifetime supply of free muffins he won in a contest. Without the burden of being the bad cop, Kelso offers grandfatherly advice and medical mentorship. He goes from Riker to Picard.

I assume that Riker, like Dr. Kelso, was someone who had accepted a conscience-taxing job that both felt someone had to do. A job they didn't want to inflict on anyone else, hence Riker refusing every captaincy and Kelso staying on as chief of medicine even when it was making him a lonely, miserable isolationist hated by everyone in his life.

I assume that at some point between Season 7, Riker experienced... something. Something that changed him. I don't know what changed; maybe there's something in those pre-NEMESIS TREK novels that I never got around to reading. Maybe Number One is still alive in the TNG era and sang her song to Riker.

Kirk and Number One do not agree with Riker and Kelso's approach to leadership. I don't either. However, I don't work in a hospital. I don't work in the military. I can't say for certain that their approach isn't needed in life and death situations.

I'll simply note that a lot of the time, the Rikers and Kelsos of the world aren't mistreating their staff out of a strategy to covertly protect and empower their people; they mistreat their staff because they are abusers and harassers.

We should be wary of this myth of the heroic bad boss.

ireactions wrote:
QuinnSlidr wrote:

There are times in my life when I have felt really upset and hurt, and anything that didn't reflect or accommodate my grief and rage seemed stupid, ridiculous, absurd and nonsensical. It's okay if STAR TREK or a musical is just not what you need right now.

However, I can say that "Subspace Rhapsody" is a rather cynical, downcast episode that is only made bearable through the guardedly optimistic tone of the songs. La'an discovers that her passion and desires crash straight into reality. Spock discovers that everything he was worried about happening and hoping wouldn't happen to him is in fact happening and it happens in the most humiliating way possible. The best that can be said is that Captain Pike was able to shift major embarrassment into minor embarrassment and Uhura got a lot of console hours in. That's not to say you should watch it, but I can assure you that it isn't a joyful episode, but a nuanced one that reflects how life can be pretty disappointing sometimes (and often).

Thanks, ireactions! Much appreciated. I'm sure I will get around to watching it eventually.

As much as I enjoyed the Buffy musical I'm not exactly in the mood for that one now either.

Funny how death and loss works, I guess. Things are improving. Slowly but surely. And in phases. Annoying.

587 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-09-10 18:18:06)

Just came across this.  Might be interesting for some trek fans here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCua8w0tBc

588 (edited by ireactions 2023-09-10 18:27:46)

I'm going to ask you not to share any more links to misinformation in this forum.

That YouTube channel is for a notoriously unreliable fraud with the asinine moniker of "Doomcock". This phony, in recent false news, gave a completely untrue summary of INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY where he claimed Harrison Ford's Indy would be erased from history and replaced by Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character. This person couldn't be trust to give a weather report, never mind STAR TREK news.

Furthermore, any news of franchise directions right now is obviously false because of that minor event you might know of called the writers' strike. Regardless, if you're trusting in a news source named "Doomcock", you need a different news source and to reconsider whether or not you have a firm grasp on reality.

I have no idea what you are thinking posting this link here. I don't know if it's related to that vague post of vagueness you put in the political thread. But this is not a place for fake news and fraudulent reports and misinformation.

589 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-09-10 19:30:03)

ireactions wrote:

I'm going to ask you not to share any more links to misinformation in this forum.

That YouTube channel is for a notoriously unreliable fraud with the asinine moniker of "Doomcock". This phony, in recent false news, gave a completely untrue summary of INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY where he claimed Harrison Ford's Indy would be erased from history and replaced by Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character. This person couldn't be trust to give a weather report, never mind STAR TREK news.

Furthermore, any news of franchise directions right now is obviously false because of that minor event you might know of called the writers' strike. Regardless, if you're trusting in a news source named "Doomcock", you need a different news source and to reconsider whether or not you have a firm grasp on reality.

I have no idea what you are thinking posting this link here. I don't know if it's related to that vague post of vagueness you put in the political thread. But this is not a place for fake news and fraudulent reports and misinformation.

A pop culture commentator I follow, who is a big trek fan, said it echoed how he felt.  It had to do with Star Trek, and so I shared it here for people who follow star trek in case they might be interested.  It really wasn't much more complicated than that.  As for the veracity of the report, I don't know if it's true or not.  Studios are still operating internally, and I am pretty sure they could engage with producers.   Regardless, it was posted here because it was what I thought people with an opinion on trek may or may not find interesting as far as the kurztman debate and how Paramount is handling the trek franchise.

As far as my post in the politics thread you referenced, it had nothing to do with that, and though it might have felt vague, it was not intended to be that.  It was an observation I felt like sharing, summed up.  Brief yes, but not meant to be vague or meaning more than what it said.

The absurd "Doomcock" made a splash claiming he'd learned from test screenings that DIAL OF DESTINY would erase Harrison Ford and replace him with Phoebe Waller-Bridge who would take over the franchise. Since that was very much not the story of DIAL OF DESTINY, it's time to put a pin in "Doomcock" and treat his 'news' as precisely what it is: inflammatory lies made up to get short-term attention for web traffic and ads and crowdfunding. And we should not be linking to misinformation or referring to it as a "report".

Again: he calls himself "Doomcock". He presents himself to the world as "Doomcock".

591 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-09-10 19:41:42)

ireactions wrote:

The absurd "Doomcock" made a splash claiming he'd learned from test screenings that DIAL OF DESTINY would erase Harrison Ford and replace him with Phoebe Waller-Bridge who would take over the franchise. Since that was very much not the story of DIAL OF DESTINY, it's time to put a pin in "Doomcock" and treat his 'news' as precisely what it is: inflammatory lies made up to get short-term attention for web traffic and ads and crowdfunding. And we should not be linking to misinformation or referring to it as a "report".

Again: he calls himself "Doomcock". He presents himself to the world as "Doomcock".

I was not familiar with the account, but if there's something I post that you don't think should be on here, always feel free to delete the post.   It won't bother me if you do so if you don't think it adds value.

592 (edited by ireactions 2023-09-10 20:16:07)

I am relieved by your response.

I think comment on misinformation is valuable and prefer that we leave the post and link.

Alex Kurtzman is certainly leaving STAR TREK at some point. You could say that about anyone working on any series: they will be leaving at some point. We don't need to use a voice-deepening vocoder and put on a metal mask and call ourselves "Doomcock" for that.

We are living in a world that has a greater density of information and therefore misinformation than ever before. Misinformation is only going to get worse with artificial intelligence text generation. I know that STAR TREK non news is not a big deal, but if I were in the misinformation game, I'd probably start with niche science fiction for training and work my way up. I don't think any of us can stop it, but we should be hypersuspicious of news where the supposed journalist hides behind a mask to talk about a TV rocketships and laser guns.

I don't want to click on that link so can someone tell me what the (false) rumor was?

The rumour was that Alex Kurtzman is leaving STAR TREK because CBS/Paramount are rebooting the franchise and upsetting Kurtzman, which this YouTuber presented as fact. This is nonsense: Paramount is in no position to discuss rebooting STAR TREK or have anyone write or perform in a reboot because all writers and performers are on strike.

I mean, I suppose it will be true eventually. Every franchise Kurtzman has ever worked on has continued after he left it, so yes, Kurtzman will someday leave. Every franchise gets at least soft-rebooted at some point, so yes, STAR TREK will someday be rebooted. I could say that Slider_Quinn21 is going to go to bed at some point in the next 24 - 48 hours, but stating the obvious and inevitable doesn't mean I have secret sources who have infiltrated Paramount or Slider_Quinn21's life.

The ridiculous "Doomcock" presented these inane ramblings in his usual fashion: against a greenscreened backdrop of what looks like a supervillain's headquarters, ranting with a voice-filter to deepen his tone, all while wearing a ridiculous costume with a metal mask that is obviously based on the Marvel Comics character Dr. Doom whom this person obviously reveres.

That's something I should point out, actually: Victor von Doom, Dr. Doom, is clearly "Doomcock"'s role model. And Dr. Doom is a narcissistic, bitter mind in a mutilated and wilted body. Doom's entire life is an endless quest for adulation and attention. Dr. Doom is a jealous, miserable soul: Reed Richards warned Doom that his experiments were unstable, Doom ignored Reed and Doom's experiment blew up in his face and scarred him. Doom's response was to declare that Richards must have tricked him, sabotaged him, been threatened by him. Then Doom devoted his life to inane supervillainy, propelled by sheer force of jealousy. Victor von Doom is the pettiest, vainest, smallest person in the Marvel Universe depending on a stupid outfit to look bigger than he is.

Victor von Doom is "Doomcock"'s role model and I think that says a lot.

595 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2023-09-12 07:45:28)

Hmmm.  Also Star Trek has *already* rebooted less than 15 years ago.  The reboot just didn't outlast the regular continuity.

Now, I do think Star Trek has a problem, and I do wonder if a reboot should be on the table.  And the problem, of course, stems from Discovery.

Right now, Trek is currently operating in several different points in time.  Strange New Worlds is set in 2259.  Lower Decks is in 2381.  Prodigy is in 2383.  Picard is in 2401.  Discovery was set in 2256-2259, but is now in 3190. 

The weird, slightly different timeline in Lower Decks / Prodigy / Picard is awkward but fine.  The two animated shows allow for younger versions of TNG-era characters, and they play around with continuity a bit anyway.  The way I see it, we have a prequel in SNW, we have some silly stuff with Lower Decks and Prodigy, and Picard is set in the present.  Any future show, I assume, will be set in the 2400s.

But Discovery kinda messes with that thought, at least in my head.  Please note that I already have a strange opinion on continuity so this probably isn't an issue for most people.

Discovery is set in the 3190s.  You could argue that Picard is in the present and that Discovery is in the future.  But the way I see it, they're *all* prequels to Discovery seasons 3-5.  Why are they prequels?  Because unless Trek is going to wipe out Discovery with time travel, it's as far forward as we can go.  And we know that the Federation was in tatters but it's coming back together.  And as far as we know, none of the key planets have been destroyed since Romulus.  So  if there's a storyline in Star Trek: Legacy where Earth is in danger, we know it's fine in the future.

Now we can all say that Earth was probably fine, even if we didn't have Discovery.  Most shows don't destroy Earth.  But we don't *know* that.  With Trek, Earth survives another 800 years after the "present".  The Federation and Starfleet does too.  We know what happens with unification.  We know about the Burn.

Just like in a prequel, there could be a threat that Kirk could die in Strange New Worlds but we know he lives.  Some of the tension, however much might exist, is gone.

So I wonder if "the present" needs to be 3200 now.  Maybe they allow for "prequels" in the 2400s while the TNG-era cast is still alive.  But in the mean time, we march forward in the only era where there's still "a final frontier?"

Or you reboot and the whole thing is a clean slate.

My solution to the issue of DISCOVERY's 33rd century setting being a problem:

I think all it takes is one line from one Department of Temporal Investigations agent saying that Mirror Georgiou returned from a "potential future timeline" and that is done and dusted.

Also, given STRANGE NEW WORLDS' "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" explaining pretty much every discrepancy in THE ORIGINAL SERIES and between TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT/DSC, and SNW's loose attitude to TOS continuity, I don't think they're that fussed about it.

I don't know what STAR TREK is going to look like aside from a SECTION 31 movie and another season of STRANGE NEW WORLDS and one last season of DISCOVERY. I don't think Paramount-CBS knows either and won't so long as writers and actors are all on strike.

Was Picard less successful than the internet made it seem like?  I thought it was quite the phenomenon, and I would've suspected that they'd want a follow-up from Matalas.  But there's been no word, despite massive fan interest.

Of course, I have no idea how the "Trek on Streaming Only" model works.  Maybe it's more expensive than the money it makes.  Maybe they do just want to try movies again.

My understanding is that their slate and budget was pretty full with STRANGE NEW WORLDS, DISCOVERY and LOWER DECKS, and given the streaming model having hit upper limits of subscriber growth, they were looking to let aging shows clear off their slate and just not replace them for awhile. And then the writers strike and actors strike happened, so the lack of plans remains a lack of plans.

I think that makes sense.  I guess it doesn't make a ton of sense to overwhelm the service with too many Star Trek things at a time because subscribers aren't giving you any extra money for extra content.  I guess the optimal model is to have one Star Trek show running at all times so that no Star Trek fan ever unsubscribes.

With Picard done and Discovery ending, hopefully they can get Legacy going before Matalas moves on.

I try not to stress too much about canon and continuity.  Think of the Enterprise crew in the same way you think of the Knights of the Round Table.  Lots of different people can lots of different stories with these characters in this world.  Maybe the details will sometimes conflict but as long as Kirk is charismatic, Spock is logical, McCoy is emotional, and so on it will fit in the mythology.