Re: DC Superheroes on TV (CW & HBO Max)

Some more possible foreshadowing tonight.  In the 1980's run of the comics, Thawne kills Iris which eventually leads Barry to snap Thawne's neck and kill him.  Barry stays on the run from the law for awhile, but finally turns himself in and is convicted of Thawne's murder.

The story gets a little convoluted from there (with Barry ultimately proving the jury was brainwashed into convicting him - the true ruling that Thawne's death was accidental), but the end result is that Barry runs away from our time to live in the 30th century.  Shortly after settling there, he ends up sacrificing himself to save all of reality in the Crisis.

Tonight we saw that the 2024 newspaper byline changed; Iris has been replaced by another reporter.  Barry leaves a message decades in the future talking about horrible consequences.  Could they be taking a page from the comics?  Will Thawne kill Iris leading Barry to kill Thawne? Is Barry leaving his message from jail or did he run to the future to hide?  We'll see.  So far I think they've set up some great things only to squander them (such as Cyborg Superman); and that leads me to not get my hopes up.

I really liked the first part (I haven't watched tonight's Arrow yet).  What I liked is that it did feel like an event - not just a crossover.  The previous ones felt like contained episodes of each show with guest stars.  This felt like an episode of "Arrowverse: the Show" - I didn't feel like the show really babied any viewers.  They handled some real stuff (fighting Vigilante instead of just some random dude, Stein meeting his daughter, Diggle finding out about Sara, etc) and I thought most of the meetings were pretty organic and fun.  Cisco working with Ray, Stein reuniting with Caitlin, and the Kara/Barry and Barry/Oliver stuff was pretty cool.

And the aliens are dangerous enough to warrant a team-up but faceless enough that we didn't have to spend much time building them up to be feared/understood.

Now some negatives:

- I don't love much about Flashpoint.  I like that they're taking it as seriously as they should, but whiny Cisco is no fun (like whiny Felicity was no fun).  And whiny Barry is no fun.
- Wally does not work for me.  He throws this pity party for himself because he's not a speedster, and then he throws a pity party when people don't love his powers as much as he does.  Wally West is a great character, and I don't think he's being portrayed very well at all.  He's zero fun, and he's got zero charisma.
-The newspaper article changed to show a different writer, but it still says Starling City.  Does Central City's paper not acknowledge the new name for Star City, does it eventually change back, or was it a mistake?  Also, as a former journalist, that article is horribly written for a hard-news piece.  Writes much more like a human interest fluff piece.  Snapper Carr would never put that in his paper.

I enjoyed it too. My favourite part was when Barry accepts the team leadership position but ends up parroting Oliver's instructions. The part where Mick informs Supergirl of his pyromanic backstory was also hilarious. And it was really great to see Oliver tell Barry to stop blaming himself over Flashpoint. I wasn't entirely convinced by Oliver's logic, but it was worthwhile to tell Barry to move forward.

I'm not sure whether the problem with Wally is the actor or the writing, but something never quite syncs. The character was written in some ways to be a crazy hellraiser, much like the original Colin Mallory was imagined as a flamboyant loudmouth braggart -- but then they hired an actor who plays everything low-key. With Colin, the character was reconceived; with Wally, they played the mismatch and it hasn't lead to something more.

With regard to the Supergirl series, I've seen some complaints on other sites about how her episode was a just red skies story (referring back to the comics - many issues would feature the Crisis on Infinte Earths Crossover banner, but the story inside had nothing to do with Crisis except that the sky turned red).  However, I think this Arrowverse crossover will have more impact on Supergirl than any other series.

In the Invasion era comics, Mon'el had a significant tie to the Dominators; it was his father's sacrifice in protecting people from the Dominator's that inspired Mon'el to become a hero.  Mon'el would later beat back a second Dominator Invasion and seed their metahuman experiments on various worlds so that the Dominators couldn't find them again.  That act would lead to the United Planets and eventually the foundation for the Legion a thousand years from now.

I believe the aliens looking for Mon'el are also Dominators.  And at the end of this crossover, Supergirl is either knowingly or unknowingly bring something back that emits a signal leading the Dominators of her reality to her earth.

Incidentally, the comics version of the Dominator Invasion led to Snapper Carr being abducted and getting powers (the ability to teleport with the snap of his fingers).

The problem with Wally is that he shouldn't be there. They reworked the character to make him Iris' brother, rather than her nephew. He's Barry's age, rather than being ten years younger. In trying to fit him into the show, they removed the context of Wally West and Kid Flash. The name doesn't make sense. He's not a kid. And having someone who is Barry's age, coming into his powers not all that long after Barry takes away the mentor/student relationship.

Two Flashes can't occupy the same space at the same time. It's Informant's Law of Teledynamics. Unless they kill off this Wally and introduce their younger, red-headed cousin (adopted, I guess) who is also named Wally, it just doesn't work. And that would be a little too "Jimmy Olsen" for me.

Nothing against the actor, but the character just never should have been brought into the show. Especially in season 2. Now they have to find a way to get rid of him, because it can't work.

Anyway, I have to say it again: It's remarkable how different the Supergirl character feels on these shows. Ireactions, you generally like Supergirl as a series. Is it just me that sees this shift in context for her?

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Informant wrote:

TNothing against the actor, but the character just never should have been brought into the show. Especially in season 2. Now they have to find a way to get rid of him, because it can't work.

Honestly, I'm much more worried that they'll kill off Barry and make Wally the primary Flash.  Considering what the CW has had to do with the Suicide Squad and Amanda Waller (and considering a Justice League movie is on the way), they might force Barry off the show and go with Wally.

Which, honestly, would be a disaster.

Informant wrote:

...they removed the context of Wally West and Kid Flash. The name doesn't make sense. He's not a kid. And having someone who is Barry's age, coming into his powers not all that long after Barry takes away the mentor/student relationship.

Two Flashes can't occupy the same space at the same time. It's Informant's Law of Teledynamics. Unless they kill off this Wally and introduce their younger, red-headed cousin (adopted, I guess

Well, they do have a back-up option if they want it - Bart Allen.  Barry interacting with his grandson brings an added dynamic, but it could explore Barry's ever approaching fate if it's played as Bart traveling back to learn from the grandfather he never had a chance to know.

Bart could be interesting, down the line. I just hate that Wally West was wasted. He is a great character when done right.

They really can't kill off Barry and keep Wally. Maybe if Wally had worked out as a character, but it didn't go that way. You'd be taking away a character with charm and chemistry with the rest of the cast, and replacing him with someone bland and lacking in character. I would rather see Jesse take over.

The movie seems to be on shakier ground than the series at this point. Warner Bros better not muck this up.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Well of course they shouldn't do it, but I'm worried that they will.  I read something about Grant Gustin only having a contract through the end of this season, but I can't find that article anymore so maybe I made it up.

After watching the crossovers, I was wondering if they should just have the supporting casts float from show to show each week, while following the leads on their own shows... like you'd have Oliver each week, but he could have Cisco and Felicity by his side, while Barry has Caitlin and Diggle, and then the next week, Barry's undercover with Thea or whatever.

Legends would be the only hitch. It doesn't have one lead, so it would be difficult to add them to the mix.

Informant wrote:

After watching the crossovers, I was wondering if they should just have the supporting casts float from show to show each week, while following the leads on their own shows... like you'd have Oliver each week, but he could have Cisco and Felicity by his side, while Barry has Caitlin and Diggle, and then the next week, Barry's undercover with Thea or whatever.

Legends would be the only hitch. It doesn't have one lead, so it would be difficult to add them to the mix.

Didn't I have this idea months ago? big_smile

Yeah. But seeing everyone together made *me* think of it... and in the end, isn't that all that really matters?

(that was sarcasm, by the way. I'm not that big of a d-bag)

Hahah, I really do think it's the way it should go.  I also think, when Arrow ends, Stephen Amell could sign a similar deal.  Probably not possible since he'd demand "star" money, but it'd certainly be fun for him to continue to pop up in the Arrowverse even after Arrow is over.

And Legends would be a hitch, but not as much as you'd think.  They already do less than the normal shows, and their characters could still float around for 5-6 episodes of the other shows (and, of course, the Arrow/Flash/Supergirl characters could still pop up on their show.

Until they figure out the universe thing, the hardest would actually be Supergirl.  Since they don't seem to have any characters that overlap (notice that Earth 1 and Kara's Earth have a different president).

Maybe they can alter the Dominator transporter technology to create a trans-dimensional tansportation system that would allow easier access to the multiverse. Supergirl, Harry and Jesse could use it to get here more easily, and our team could go to them whenever they wanted.

They could do what Fringe did and create a place that connects all three worlds under one roof...

Or they could set up a Crisis and merge the worlds... but leave most of Kara's behind. I still think she should just be banished to Earth-1.

Well, it'd be easier to rework her show if she was in Earth 1, but I don't know if that's the way to go.  It's fun to have her in the universe, but it causes issues.  I don't think she'd really work on Arrow...she'd make Oliver pretty irrelevant (like how it's hard to do too much Batman/Superman crossover).  She and Barry work well together, and I think she'd actually fit pretty well on Legends.  But even on Flash, she was a bit out of place because she could decimate the whole team on her own.

True... Maybe she can be banished to Earth-2 then smile

I just think that her whole show needs a reworking, from the ground up. James, Alex and J'onn need to go. Winn was the best of the bunch, but he may be a casualty of this overhaul if it's done right.

Or she can find a world with alternate versions of some of these people, but they can be reworked.

TF's idea for replacing Barry Allen with Bart is hilariously bonkers. I love it. Does Grant Gustin play Bart in this scenario? That said, I think if they were going to swap Barry with Wally to adhere to DC's bizarre fiefdom divisions, they'd have done it by now -- and they got Deadshot back on ARROW and Deathstroke's returning too, so the leashes are being loosened gradually.

I didn't feel SUPERGIRL and THE FLASH were particularly different and will default to my opinion that Informant just hates fun. THE FLASH had all of the odd physical spacing issues of SUPERGIRL; the heroes find the President but demand for his release rather than Atom or Firestorm of Supergirl grabbing him and flying away. The 'training' with Supergirl consists of her invulnerably tolerating a barrage of energy blasts and projectile weapons. Barry's superspeed still has him ducking for cover from Firestorm and Heatwave when they should be frozen if Barry's in motion.

There's other writing issues. The President's abduction is played as some sort of strategic coup, but he didn't seem to have much to contribute and it's not like we lost Dumbledore or something. And Oliver at the end says the heroes must contact Lyla Michaels to inform them the Dominators are hostile as though their kidnapping the President didn't communicate that already?

You could drive yourself crazy thinking about these things. These are children's characters. Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin are adorable. Stephen Amell did such a great job playing Grant's big brother in Eobard Thawne's secret man cave. Slider_Quinn21, my second SLIDERS REBORN editor has resigned and declared me to be mentally unfit; would you be interested in being the third?

498 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2016-12-01 16:34:04)

Yes.  I would.  Email me smile

(If you already did, I haven't checked wink )

The Flash is fun. Legends is fun, when it doesn't completely suck. iZombie is fun. No Tomorrow is fun. I don't have anything against fun! I just require that some amount of care be put into the writing and production. The people making Supergirl obviously have more love for Superman than they do for Supergirl.

I did laugh during Supergirl once. I did!

It was when Alex was giving her the speech about how she wanted to make Kara just like her at first, but eventually had to let Kara go and allow her to be her own unique person.

It was a genuinely funny moment on a show about a Superman impersonator. smile

Having said that superheroes are not the place for plot or physical logic and plausibility -- ARROW's installment of "Invasion" is really pushing it. To recount: despite the Flash reporting that Oliver, Thea, Diggle and the Legends were beamed into space and likely aboard a spaceship, Cisco needs to vibe on Oliver's old bow in order to establish that Oliver and the Legends were beamed into space and likely aboard a spaceship. The fact that this spaceship has technology inspires Cisco to try to use a shard of alien tech to break into their communications infrastructure, something that didn't occur to him while at STAR Labs and only comes up when he's in the Arrowcave. Then we have a supervillain of the week established in a rushed flurry of dialogue in order to give the ARROW cast someone to fight and the script's desperation to give the actors their contractually required screentime becomes palpable.

It's painfully obvious at this point that the script has been written around trying to hammer the cast of ARROW into the story while allowing Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin to make limited appearances in a B-plot.

Then we have the antics aboard the spaceship where the Dominators politely leave Oliver, Thea, Diggle and the Legends a conveniently marked exit door from an otherwise impenetrable prison and also have no guards and no countermeasures to at least keep their captives sedated in the event of their leaving the simulation. Then we have them boarding a spaceship that they not only manage to activate but can also pilot despite being faced with an alien navigation system!

Anyway. I still kind of liked it. The fantasy sequences were very strong, although the Photoshop effect of pasting Roy and Tommy's heads on body doubles was very silly and Deathstroke never speaking or taking off the mask smacked of pennypinching. It was fun. It was enjoyable. But I like my superheroes to be a little less overt in their silliness. Just a bit. Honestly, at this point, the only way this episode holds together in terms of plot is if the Dominators let their captives go -- and if Cisco's depression over his brother and frustration with Barry has somehow made him stupider this week.

I watched the rest.  I thought it had a lot of heart.  It was pretty cool that the epic crossover coincided with Arrow's 100th episode, but that episode was much more a love letter to Arrow than a meaningful part of the event.  I actually really liked Wild Dog's anger towards metas, and I could see that being a legit fear among humans.  I actually was a bit upset that he backed off it so much.  Other than that, it was just an interesting episode of Arrow. 

And yeah, there was no Slade and no Tommy or Roy or even Ra's.  But most of the key emotional players were there, and they, at least, acknowledged Deathstroke's significance.  This season has been pretty good about showing how far Oliver has come, and I think it's benefited a bit from reaching back into the history of the show a bit.

The Legends stuff was interesting.  I liked that they actually incorporated a Legends-type storyline in and went back in time, although the execution was a bit weak.  I felt like Oliver's little speech to Kara was bizarre and didn't make a whole ton of sense at the time.  And while the final fight scene was cool, it lost a bit of its muster when you had Oliver/Heat Wave/Vixen/ATOM/etc fighting a handful of Dominators while Barry and Kara took care of hundreds (thousands? millions?) on their own.  That point alone maybe shouldn't have been glossed over.

And I actually really liked the little mini-story about Stein and his daughter.  Pretty sweet, actually.  I like Stein on the show, but I think he needs to go home.  Maybe he can stay on a Wentworth Miller - like contract and guest on some of the other shows.

I think the leads all worked pretty well together.  Melissa Benoist fit right in (and I have such a crush on her).  I actually wouldn't mind seeing her interact with Oliver more - I think they're trying to set something up there (not necessarily romantic).  And with Cisco's device, I'm guessing we might see more interaction this season (besides the Flash/Supergirl musical episode).

It also basically clinches that Supergirl ain't crossing over anytime soon.

I don't think it worked. I agree that it had a lot of heart. It was fun to watch. But there were a lot of obvious production problems that took the shine off the crossover for me. It actually reminded me of the SMALLVILLE finale where the writers scripted a global conflict and then found that when rendering it onscreen, they had to tone it down repeatedly until the visuals seemed marginal compared to the massive scale indicated by the dialogue.

The main problem for me -- the FLASH installment sets up Oliver, Supergirl and Barry as the lead characters for the crossover. But then ARROW immediately sidelines all three of them in subplots and dream sequences to focus on the ARROW supporting cast (the recruits, Cisco and Felicity) and LEGENDS again does the same with Mick, Vixen, Stein, Cisco and Felicity). It's like the writers suddenly discovered that they could not film three episodes of Melissa Benoist, Grant Gustin and Stephen Amell in a week -- so their appearances are prominent in THE FLASH and then their presences are spread out in isolated segments across ARROW and LEGENDS. That, along with budgetary restrictions suddenly reduces a planetary situation to a skirmish on a single rooftop.

Then there's awkward moments like Oliver inexplicably benching Supergirl (almost as though the actress' schedule prevented her from being in the subsequent scene and an explanation was improvised on the spot), street-level heroes winning against Dominators when the 1951 soldiers couldn't to hold them off, the Dominators having had a truce with the United States but inexplicably kidnapping and murdering the President previously in THE FLASH, no attempt to mind control the heroes again -- and it's at this point, I'm reminded of how awkward I found the first AVENGERS movie.

This is something we seem to see quite often in superhero shows when they attempt an Earth-wide threat, but they can't pull it off visually and try to bluff and bluster through it.

THE FLASH has previously pulled off epic-level conflicts by keeping the geography enclosed even as the emotional stakes peaked (Barry versus Thawne with Firestorm and Green Arrow in the mix in Season 1, the race against Zoom in Season 2). LEGENDS' epic finale in its first season spread the team across different locations while fighting henchmen. SUPERGIRL's action used blurriness and distance to suggest rather than show the titantic forces in conflict. ARROW has generally stuck to the street level stuff. But here, they attempted INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE and they seemed to be trying to punch above their weight.

It's funny -- I'm saying over in the STAR TREK thread that shows do not die just because Bryan Fuller doesn't write them, but I longed for the Fuller-technique in "Invasion." With HEROES, Fuller knew that if superfights shown in full would (a) look really lame on a TV budget and (b) didn't actually offer much meaningful content no matter how much fans craved them.

As a result, fights were always extremely brief, seen at a distance or in the aftermath and the focus was always on giving the actors some interesting conflicts to perform against each other with the epic clash of superhumans always blasting off camera and then over by the time we panned across to see it.

But still. I give the DC TV team credit for trying and yes -- there was a lot of heart.

Yeah, I think they tried.  It does sorta remind me of Doomsday, where the writers had this cool idea to do this legendary Superman episode and kept thinking how cool the finale would be....and then it looked terrible.  Or in the finale where he was going to fight Darkseid and it just ended up being Clark beating up Lionel.

The problem with these crossovers is who they can fight that would be reason-enough to bring in the others when they seem to be fighting crossover-required villains all the time.  I mean, Barry is fighting a *god* - wouldn't he need Supergirl's help with that?

If they do one villain, Supergirl would basically be fighting him/her/it herself while Oliver shoots arrows and Mick shoots fire at him/her/it.  It's the problem with Justice League stories - what villain can both Superman and Batman fight?

Now that I think about it, maybe the crossover should've been everyone vs. Kara.  She shows up to visit Barry, and then she gets mind-controlled by whoever.  And, clearly, she dominates.  Flash recruits everyone, and they go off to fight.  End of Flash, Kara kills them all.  Everyone is dead.  End of episode.

Arrow picks up with Oliver in the afterlife.  The episode could basically be the same as it was.  Instead of fighting their way out, Oliver is torn apart from it when he realizes that the Legends have gone back in time to undo the Aberration.  The Legends episode, they find a way to fight the mind-control person instead of fighting Kara.  Save the day.  Kara flees back to her home world.  End of crossover.

Thinking on it -- they probably could have done the global scale fight scenes they'd wanted to do if they'd filmed the sequences selectively. By that, I mean the main action would have been in the STAR Labs command center or the Arrowcave with Felicity, Dr. Snow and Cisco reporting on what was happening around the world. And then we'd get maybe 4 - 5 slow-motion shots of Supergirl, Barry, Oliver, Atom and Firestorm performing the widescreen action -- but the rest would be narrated by the support staff and shown in terms of display animatics. You'd see glimpses of the AGE OF ULTRON spectacle. But, understandably, they wanted to do it in full-form and, also understandably, they wanted to show all the heroes fighting in the same space.

The other problem for which I have no real solution is the scheduling. These shows are all filmed with one episode per seven days, and all four shows are filming at the same time. That's why Barry, Kara and Oliver only seem prominent in THE FLASH and are then reduced and isolated in ARROW and really only return to center stage for the last half of LEGENDS. The only way I see three episodes of the BARRY/KARA/OLIVER SHOW getting made would have been if the WB agreed to commission "Invasion" as a TV movie separate from SUPERGIRL, ARROW, LEGENDS and THE FLASH with production on all four shows suspended in order to film INVASION over a month -- which would push back production and airdates for all four shows significantly.

It's a very difficult situation for production and I really can't blame them for all the issues; they were asked to do a crossover. A big event crossover. Within their existing production parameters. And the sheer impossibility of filming three episodes of Barry, Oliver and Kara in one week are self-evident.

You have to respect the different production teams for getting these schedules worked out. A four-way crossover is insane, even if the Supergirl episode didn't really count.

Taken as a whole, the story definitely had its weaknesses and nonsensical moments. The Flash episode was probably the best of them, while Arrow was a nice aside during the story. The way it was all explained in Legends and setting up the Barry drama didn't really work as an explanation, but overall I think it wad a fun event.

It would make the most sense to film the big crossover as the first episodes of each series, giving them a little bit more wiggle room with everyone. Pretty much just film it over the summer. But that wouldn't be the best idea for flow of story arcs if the plan is to show the crossover as a November event.

I did enjoy it... but it was an interesting failure. A heartfelt, well-intentioned failure. On that subject, Slider_Quinn21 should check his email for script pages!!!

On the whole, yes. But taken separately, I don't think The Flash or Arrow were total failures. Legends was weak, but not the worst episode of the show ever.

Maybe not a failure, but an overall D for lack of cohesive storytelling across all three shows. It was one big event and one big story, but they weren't written as one big story. They were written as three separate stories.

"Fake Wells"... ?

Who is HR?

Is there a chance that "he" is Iris?  He's writing a book, doesn't know any of the science, and is helping Wally train (like in Flashpoint).  Maybe future Barry is hiding Iris as HR to protect her from Savitar?

(Although if Savitar knows she's a fake Wells and no one else does, that wouldn't make the most sense).

And I want to say TF was right....again.

The Flash is really on the ledge here, at risk of falling into an abyss. The time travel stuff, combined with a lot of speedsters, is getting away from them, I think. It's getting a bit messy. The cliffhanger of Barry seeing Iris die didn't seem as shocking as it seemed... done. We've seen the same idea play out so many times on different shows that it's not all that shocking anymore.

I never got a good look at the newspaper article from the future. Does it still reference Queen Industries?

Arrow... This season is still way better than those two seasons that shall forever be forgotten. But there are still things that bother me. The Artemis turn doesn't make sense. She is mad at Oliver for being a killer, so she turns evil and teams up with a guy that kills innocent people all the time, for no good reason? She is pissed at Oliver, so she puts the entire team in danger? They didn't really sell her turning like that, which made me think that she was just undercover... but they never revealed that she was undercover. So this is just how it is? It makes no sense.

Was I the only one waiting for the shocking reveal that somehow, the long lost son in the photograph was in fact Oliver's new girlfriend?

I like the interaction between Thea and Rene. It's funny how he has this crush on her, and she's totally not interested. It's fun chemistry, but I'm not sure that they should pair them up romantically. Just keep it where it is.
The funny part is, the hard-edged street guy who turns into a vigilante crime fighter is EXACTLY her type, despite what she told him.

Anyone else have a hard time understanding Ragman with his echo-y voice?

Informant wrote:

I never got a good look at the newspaper article from the future. Does it still reference Queen Industries?

Not sure, but it still references Starling City.

Wow, Arrow's midseason finale had some legit surprises on a series of shows that have been pretty bad about surprises.  The Evelyn stuff wasn't one because that was spoiled for us, and I don't particularly care about her character.

But Oliver killing Billy?  I was assuming that Billy *was* Prometheus (and he still might be), and tricking Oliver into killing him is a pretty great move.  I'm hoping that Prometheus is someone else because it sorta kills the move if he is Billy.

Then Laurel.  It can't be Flashpoint, right?  Because no one would remember her dying if she didn't really die.  I was thinking it might be Legends that caused her to come back, but it couldn't have been them either, I don't think.  It has to be Prometheus, but I'm not sure how he'd pull that off.

I was sorta annoyed by all the references to Flashpoint and the crossover, though.  I get that they'd probably all still be talking about it, but it felt a bit forced.

I am also confused about Artemis rejecting Oliver for having once been a murdering vigilante by teaming up with another murdering vigilante who also kills civillians and police officers. The actress said in a CBR.com interview, however, that Artemis' motivations would be very gradually revealed and that she had her own reasons for working with Prometheus.

I'm happy to see Laurel back, I hope it makes her fans happy. I didn't object to her death, but I certainly think ARROW is better off with her return given that the fanbase seemed to love this character. Resurrection has been handled very poorly on this show before (Oliver) but also quite beautifully (Sarah) and also very amusingly (Deadshot). Hopefully, Laurel's return will go well. I'd be okay with revealing that Laurel and Oliver faked her death in Season 4 to give her some time to get away and recover with any discrepancies pinned on Flashpoint.

I'm kind of amused by Prometheus appearing on ARROW. Prometheus is a Grant Morrison creation (although the name had been used before) -- he's the child of two serial killers who were killed by the police and he became a supervillain to avenge his parents' death and kill as many superheroes as possible. In the comics, Prometheus' gimmick was that he had a helmet that let him copy, store and upload an infinite number of fighting styles and skills for any situation matched with obsessive research on every superhero he might fight with countermeasures planned for every hero and every kind of superpower. He distracted Green Lantern and shot him, filled the JLA headquarters with bombs that would go off if the Flash's superspeed movements were detected, etc.. Prometheus' true name or identity was never revealed.

ARROW's version of the character hasn't kept the appearance or the voice, but it's kept the obsessive research into our heroes and the ability to anticipate Oliver's every move and prepare twistedly cruel countermeasures for each one. It's a very impressive reimagining of the character; it's retrofitted him for the CW network, tailored him for ARROW, but kept the core characterization that made Prometheus so disturbing -- his insane preparation and horrific tactics.

I'm kind of with Informant that THE FLASH has got too many unexplained and uncharacteristic elements right now -- the philosopher's stone and Savitar and Alchemy come off as magical creatures without the cursory link to the exaggerated science fiction approach of Seasons 1 - 2. However, I'm still enjoying all the characters and the individual episodes, especially Caitlin Snow's arc and the character of HR (even though I would really like for Harry to come back permanently).

Last season, I found the anti-Olicity shippers to be absurd and crazy in their militance against the Felicity character. This year, I find that the Olicity shippers have gone completely insane on Tumblr and Facebook to the point of one crazy person regularly referring to Stephen Amell's wife as "Voldemort" and saying it's bizarre that Amell and Emily Bett Rickards aren't a couple.

... it's unbelievably creepy. As someone who considers himself a fan of the Oliver/Felicity pairing -- I consider all the scenes where Felicity and Oliver to have heart-to-hearts to be Olicity scenes. Maybe it's not romantic anymore, but it's a friendship and a partnership and a highly enjoyable onscreen pairing, albeit a now-platonic one. I thought it really showed the practical sides of both characters where not being a couple didn't mean not being friends and allies.

I am, however, extremely relieved to be rid of all the scenes where Felicity is a perfect superwoman desired by all and to be free of all the Felicity/Oliver angst and fighting plots. I'd rather stick to the same stuff Stephen Amell wants to stick to -- street-level crimefighting plots.

I think the producers have accepted that the Olicity drama of season 4 was a horrible mistake.

This was the same problem as Mulder and Scully. They have great chemistry and work well together, but they shouldn't be a romantic couple. People think that any man and woman who work well together should be a couple, but it can destroy what works about them. Adding that sexual element removes the safety of that interaction. Now there are expectations and duties and it isn't purely about friendship and trust anymore.

We also went from having a three-person core dynamic to a romantic couple and Diggle.

I'm glad that they realized the mistake and fixed it.

I was just watching the "Lexmas" episode of Smallville... Classic episode. Yeah, the series had its issues, but I have to say once again that Supergirl just doesn't compare. Smallville  movies the concept of Superman forward in so many ways, and Man of Steel picked up on that. But Supergirl just lacks so much by comparison. It lacks the heart, opting instead for hollow smiles. It lacks the care. The Character. The chemistry of the cast. The set design. The lighting. It lacks soul. And one thing that the Superman and Supergirl stories need above all else is soul.

It's such a shame. You don't realize how much care was put into Smallville until you step away for a while and then look back at it. The warmth of the show really set a mood.

ARROW spoilers

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Bah, I forgot about Earth 2 Laurel being on Earth 1.  Thanks, spoiler promo!

Yeah, I'll skip the promo. I hear it was super spoilery.

Spoilers

This is... not the direction I would have hoped for. Again, while I was okay with Laurel's death, it is rather cruel to raise her fans' hopes with Laurel's return only to reveal it's a fake-out.

And yet, the promo revealing up front who Laurel is makes me wonder if that in itself as a fakeout; that's a strange thing to give away so suddenly and in the teasers when the cliffhanger was presented as a mystery to be further explored in the next episode.

And now for the anti-Informant perspective on SMALLVILLE:

SMALLVILLE is terrible. Season 1 was okay. Seasons 2 - 7 are an abomination. Seasons 8 - 9 were good (but fan reaction was mixed), Season 10 started out well but crashed hard (and again, mixed reviews). The thing I object to most about SMALLVILLE in Seasons 2 - 7 -- they completely lack any sense of morality and place no value on human life. High school students are murdered horribly every single week; half of Clark's graduating class in high school were either serial killers or their victims.

There is no exploration of the grief, trauma or horror whatsoever -- it's like all these lives that get lost in teasers and before commercial breaks were meaningless and Clark, presumably a heroic figure, has no concern for them beyond a pained expression now and then. The Kryptonite enhanced serial killers on the show kill for the stupidest and pettiest of reasons and are completely brazen and obvious in their assaults, resulting in shallow, empty characters who really only exist for Clark to throw them through a wall.

SMALLVILLE in Seasons 2 - 7 is more like a slasher-horror show and if Clark is a superhero, he is proven by Seasons 2 - 7 to be totally ineffectual. Seasons 2 - 7 are also a mess of directionless, unresolved ongoing arcs that are contradictory, confused and awkwardly aborted. Martha Kent's job with Lionel Luthor vanishes. Clark becoming a super-criminal and returning to Smallville with a more assertive personality is forgotten two episodes after it happened. Lana missing time and becoming a witch is largely unresolved.

The turn from Clark and Lex being friends to being enemies is so muddled and confused that no one can actually point to where it happened. Lex's transition from well-intentioned manipulator to supervillain is so vaguely communicated that it's again missing. The mythology behind the show is incoherent with Jor-El sending Clark to Earth first as a conquerer, then as a saviour, with the inconsistencies blatantly ignored.

Season 8 fixed most of this by putting new emphasis on Clark saving people, Season 9 - 10 did the same. The quality is much-improved with Season 8 - 10 and I would call these final years a very good show, except that Season 10 ended terribly due to cast unavailability (Michael Rosenbaum returned last-minute, Allison Mack was a maybe). But the bulk of SMALLVILLE's episodes are sloppy, needlessly violent, savagely brutal television that not only diminished the Clark Kent character but smeared the Superman legacy as well.

SMALLVILLE is an important forerunner in the history of superhero TV, but it's mostly awful and it's a shame that even the upswing of Season 8 and onwards is diminished by Season 10's closing episodes.

Well, I think Smallville was hamstrung by the fact that it never knew what it was.  It was created when the network was more "teenage love" than anything else, and so the show was dominated by relationship issues.  Clark couldn't worry about his dead classmates because he had to worry about what Lana said or how to get her into his life.  Even when the show moved to a more serialized show with less "freaks of the week", it was more about love triangles than superpowers.

Then there was the rules.  "No flights, no tights" held strong for a while until Clark finally flew in just the fourth season.  Then the "no tights" rule was all that was left, and that seemed to be kept for arbitrary reasons.  When you have Green Arrow and the Justice League essentially wearing costumes, Clark's ever-changing wardrobe of jackets seemed disingenuous.  By the time they finally allowed the suit, they didn't have access to the whole thing so could only show the chestplate or on a mannequin.

Then there were the times when the show wanted to be more than it was.  It had a season building up to a fight with Doomsday until they realized they couldn't do Doomsday.  The same thing happened with Darkseid.  It reminds me a little bit of season 5 of sliders, where the creative team built up to an epic finale but then realized that they were a Sci-Fi show that couldn't do feature film - level CGI work.

I have fond memories of Smallville, and I've recently stuck my toe back in the water when I read a clickbait article about all the heroes that were on the show.  It was essentially the Arrowverse + the DCCU way before its time.  For all the big deal made about "Heroes vs Aliens", Smallville had that many heroes on screen quite a few times.  Outside of Batman and Wonder Woman, they showed just about every DC hero possible from big (Flash, Aquaman) to small (Booster Gold, the Wonder Twins).  From the JSA to the Legion.  The amount of ground it covered makes it look so ambitious for the time, and it's no wonder that the Arrowverse is its legacy.

It's one reason why I'd like to see Smallville brought into the Arrowverse multiverse somehow.  Without Smallville, there'd be no Arrow or Flash or Legends or Supergirl.  There might not be a Gotham or even an Agents of SHIELD.  They showed that superheroes worked on the small screen.

And while the show was a muddled mess, I still love Tom Welling as Clark and Michael Rosenbaum as Lex.

From my POV, SMALLVILLE's problem was never that it was stuck in one genre or the other -- it just had really sloppy showrunners who couldn't seem to plan with or manage their writing staff; the showrunners were often absent and working on film scripts and would return, be keen to push an episode into production, have no idea what work had been done in their absence and would casually order its deletion.

This is why Martha's job with Lionel disappeared, why Lex's cloned twin brother was abruptly assassinated, why Jor-El sending Clark to Earth as a conqueror was forgotten, why Supergirl moving in with Lex was abruptly dismissed. Every time the writing staff set up plots and arcs, the absent showrunners would return, order all development made during their absence be dismissed, be heavily involved in 1 - 2 episodes, and then take another lengthy coffee break. And when the showrunners are this disengaged, it's easy to lose sight of how Clark and Lana can't walk five steps in their school without tripping over the corpse of a student or teacher and this is something that needs to be considered for future scripts.

Like I said, the show had its problems. The writing was a weak point for the show. Their need to elevate Lana to the level of Clark and Lex, but with no idea how they wanted to do it... Was bad. She should have been a waitress.

But the cast obviously loved each other and loved being there. The directors never phoned it in. The set design and lighting were always beautiful... There were a lot of things done really right on the show. And for all of its writing weaknesses, they never sank as low as Supergirl, which is just hollow and poorly made all around.

All four shows were renewed for the 2017-2018 season!

Good news!

Except for Supergirl. Taking up valuable schedule space. Legends should probably be a limited series, during breaks for the other shows.

The episode of Legends this week was fun, but I thought it was silly...even for LoT standards.

I also watched Flash and Arrow.

Flash - Wally still bothers me.  Having fun as a superhero is one thing, but he wants the celebrity.  I think they have Wally's personality all wrong.  Seems more like Booster Gold.

Arrow - Throwaway line but apparently the VP (after the president died in Invasion) was a woman?  And the DA of Star City has "always wanted her autograph?"  It was a weird line.

SUPERGIRL continues to be adorable. FLASH was fun as the team employ a strategy of doing random stuff and seeing what sticks to prevent Iris' death and ARROW explored the team dynamics beautifully with Oliver quietly astonished that Felicity gave the team secret orders ("You give orders now?!") with the show carefully ambiguous as to whether it supports Felicity or not.

I really liked LEGENDS OF TOMORROW, but the ending was so weird. The Legends are running towards the Wave Rider, then Rip inexplicably meanders in the area of the entrance to the ship instead of running up into it before he gets shot. Then Reverse Flash takes him away and the Legends fly away in the Wave Rider, fleeing... Damian and Malcolm with laser guns that clearly can't penetrate the Wave Rider hull.

So why were the Legends in their armored and armed timeship fleeing weapons that were no threat to their vessel? Why didn't they threaten to vaporize Damian and Malcolm unless they convinced Reverse Flash to give up Rip or provided his location? Why didn't they follow Damian and Malcolm back to wherever they would go to rendezvous with Rip? Why didn't they take Damian and Malcolm out if not by killing them, then tranquilizing them and imprisoning aboard the ship in the medical lab under sedation?

Isn't it their job to stop these guys? The show just lost me and the scene of the gang watching STAR WARS together like they didn't basically abandon Rip Hunter, their friend and mentor, was bizarre.

529 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2017-01-31 23:06:18)

Kara's attitude towards Guardian in "We Can Be Heroes" is a little odd, especially after her little trip to Earth One.  She knows that there are humans who are more-than-capable of handling themselves without dying because she fought beside them.  I know she views her villains as bigger and stronger, and on her Earth, only Kryptonians are heroes....but she should know better.  In fact, if they wanted to do some more minor crossovers, this might not be a bad time to send James over to the Arrowverse to work with Oliver's team.  I don't really like James' character so I don't even know if I'd like it.  But it does seem like something that Kara should do.

Seemed like a really odd story note.

lol!  H.R. just said he has a magician friend.   They are dancing all around this.

I did notice that! smile

I feel like the shows are doing better at making this feel like a connected universe.  They don't actually have to use Grant Gustin or Stephen Amell to make it feel that way.  In Flash, they had a fun little cameo in the Catco office, and in Arrow they had Singh with a cool little Flash cameo.  Little things like that can make things pretty fun.

Yeah, it is cool to see the little things.

Legends is a mess though. Their villains remind me of the geek Trio on Buffy, which was horrible. Eobard shouldn't exist, and that is a hard thing to get past. Malcolm still should have died in season 1 of Arrow, and Damien is a mistake of a character that just won't go away. I really like the actor, but the character just never worked.

I like Nate, but I wish they would cancel this show and just have him appear on The Flash. Even Sara's been messed up, which is a shame.

Arrow is a lot better this year. Maybe not the best of all three seasons, but not bad. I like the new characters more than I thought I would. Felicity is a lot better this year too. Though the whole "hacktivist" angle in the last episode made me roll my eyes. A random shady hacker who you found on the dark web hands you a USB drive... Why would you just plug that into your system?

The Flash is still fun. Still not sure what purpose Wally serves, but at least he isn't sucking too much energy out of the show.
I wonder how long it will take them to figure out that they need Vibe to stop Savitar so they can save Iris.

I don't watch Supergirl anymore. ☺

Informant wrote:

The Flash is still fun. Still not sure what purpose Wally serves, but at least he isn't sucking too much energy out of the show.

The last episode made me wonder if Wally is headed for a version of this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--HGJAYXtHHE/Ut0Q6pn-TJI/AAAAAAAAT34/yZAgPykq13w/s1600/Image00004.jpg

With Wally speeding up faster than Barry did, it's easy to see Wally burn out faster too; Wally may end up saving Iris just to turn into a pile of dust directly after.  And now with Barry pushing Wally, you could end up with Joe and even Iris blaming Barry for pushing Wally too hard.

It would also create an irony of sorts - after all, we started this series with Thawne's personal agenda in pushing Barry to get faster; and now Barry is stepping onto that path.  You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

What's happening in that scene?  What's the Flash doing?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

What's happening in that scene?  What's the Flash doing?

That's from the Crisis on Infinite Earths where the multiverse was destroyed by the Anti-Monitor (pictured above), and all realities ended up collapsed into one earth.  Leading up to that, the imminent death of a parallel world was known when the skies turned red.  That's what the future newspaper headline in the tv series is hinting at when it says Red Skies Vanish.

But in the picture I gave, Anti-Monitor was having problems destroying the main DC earth; so he built a special tachyon cannon just to finish them off.  Powered by a single tachyon, the Anti-Monitor has pulled the trigger and Barry is the only person there to stop it; so he pushes himself beyond his limits to catch the tachyon before the gun can fire.  When the other heroes finally arrive, all they find is Barry's empty costume; he burned up his body stopping the cannon (or to look at it another way - his body consumed itself to find the fuel to keep going).  Of course, this was later retconned with the idea of the speed force; but when this story came out in 1985, there was no speed force.  Barry had just turned to dust.

I don't think Wally is going to face the Anti-Monitor; but what I'm wondering is if they're going to play with the idea of Barry Allen's death in that scene.  If Wally pushes himself beyond all his limits and burns too bright too fast...he may find himself consumed in a short but brilliant flash.

That'd be an interesting move, and it could actually be used to improve Wally's character.  What if, in an attempt to go fast enough to save Iris, Wally ends up becoming the Speed Force?  To Barry and Team Flash, Wally is essentially dead.  So it drives a wedge between Barry and the rest of the team, including Joe and Iris.  Maybe Barry goes off on his own for a while to realize what he did.  Maybe he just goes into exile.

Season 4 starts with everyone having dreams of Wally.  Almost like he's haunting them.  Then, all the sudden, Kid Flash starts showing up.  Neither Flash nor Kid Flash have been seen in months, and Metas have been, for the most part, ruling Central City with the cops/ STAR Labs helpless to stop them.  The Kid Flash appearances get the attention of Joe (who's inconsolable) and Iris (who's heartbroken).  And, of course, Barry.

Barry finally finds Kid Flash but it's not Wally.  It's some....kid.  Kid Flash runs away, and as soon as Barry enters the Speed Force, he's greeted by Wally.  Wally isn't dead, but he's trapped in the Speed Force.  He seems older....wiser.  More concerned about saving lives than being a showboat....he's essentially spent an eternity in the Speed Force and has grown into a shell of his former self. 

He discovered someone coming to destroy Central City, and he couldn't make his way out.  But he could send someone who he knew would draw Barry out.  One of Barry's descendants.....Bart Allen.

That could be interesting. Alternatively, they could just ship Wally off to Earth 2. smile

Switching over to Arrow for a sec. I'm not sure that this Dinah Drake thing is the best idea. They made a mess of things with Laurel, first in how they handled her development, then handing her role in the story over to Felicity, and then killing her. Killing her was a big mistake, which they should have known after Sara, but I guess they didn't learn.

So then they tease a comeback that never happens.

Then they come up with a really convoluted way of trying to bring back a Black Canary element (would Dinah be Black Canary, or a whole new Canary?). I don't hate the new character, but the situation is just awkward and weird. What will Sara think? Shouldn't she get to train the new Canary (maybe Sin?). And they already have a two Dinah characters on the show. Now a third.

Like I said, I don't hate new Dinah, but it is a strange road to go down.

Ugh....legends.

I don't know why the show insists on doing some of the things they do.  I get that the show is diverse and they have to give the black people on the show something to do, but sending in Nate and Amaya as newlyweds?  Multiracial marriage was a hot-button topic 50 years ago....let alone 250 years ago.  They're adding unnecessary danger to the mission, especially when they could've easily just had Sara be his wife since she was already there.  I know they're playing with a Nate/Amaya romance, but make Sara the fake wife and add a jealousy element.

And Sara can't name a single colony?  Really??

Yeah, the Nate/Amaya thing made no sense at all. They forced them together in this episode, and then they forced them to have this sex subplot, while their teammates were on the chopping block. It was horribly conceived.

Also, Nata and Amaya don't really work together. Earlier this season Nate had some good chemistry with Sara. It was interesting and natural, and they're such opposites that it just might work. But the show is now insisting on forgetting that Sara is not a lesbian, she is supposed to be bisexual. Except they don't want her to flirt with or sleep with any dudes, because that would be too straight or something. It's really bugging me, because they've started playing her up as this sex-crazed rebellious hero figure while also cutting her potential love interests in half.

And yes, the colony thing was stupid. But then again, I'm still trying to figure out why Jax wouldn't just break a mop handle and stick it in the telescope. If I had a relic that was that ordinary to look at, but super powerful, I would have Gideon make a dozen copies, just to throw off the bad guys.