Re: Personal Status Updates!

So, Matt protested an aspect of the Wade-roleplaying thread and Wade replied with an image showing her expression. I was rather impressed because intangirble pulled that screencap from UNIVERSAL SIGNS (2004), a near-dialogue-free film about a deaf man starring Sabrina Lloyd.

Another good source of screencaps for Sabrina-expressions is a movie she did called DOPAMINE.

ireactions wrote:

One of my SLIDERS REBORN consultants was telling me recently how he felt so out of place in fanfic writing when Season 4 of SLIDERS rolled around. There he was, working away on his Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo novellas -- and then everything he wrote suddenly seemed stupid, because no matter what adventures he created for them, it'd all end with Arturo dead, Wade in a rape camp, and Quinn and Rembrandt originating not from a world we could consider home but a Kromagg outpost. That it made him feel like all his stories were out of date and worthless because they weren't in touch with what was new even thought what was new sucked.

That's a sad place to be at. To feel like - retroactively, any happiness these characters could have had is stripped from you. This is the extent of the devastation Fox and Peckinpah visited upon the series.

I guess that's why I have a headcanon for Wade and the others after that point. To redress that feeling of inevitable hopelessness, to have life go on. Wade and Remmy escape, scarred but not broken. They found the "real" Arturo back in Azure Gate World. And as for all the stuff with Quinn and Remmy's origins - Kromagg tricks.

And nice catch on Universal Signs! It's a great movie - just watched it recently. A very thought-provoking insight into Deaf culture and sign language, which is an incredibly beautiful and intimate language. Dopamine is a great movie too, as is Hello Lonesome - that one'll make you laugh and cry in equal amounts.

Sabrina's in her element in these little indie movies, I think. She gets to work with people who are passionate about their project, and who are directly involved in seeing it happen, and she gives her all. I imagine that's what Sliders must've been like at the beginning, before everything.

My consultant's name is Nigel Mitchell. You can find his SLIDERS fanfic here:
http://web.archive.org/web/200810101623 … chell.html

His website is here:
http://nigelgmitchell.blogspot.ca/

He's like the Douglas Adams of SLIDERS fanfic. The other writer I really like, Mike Truman, is the Steve Brown of SLIDERS fanfic. (Steve Brown wrote "In Dinos Veritas" and "As Time Goes By," and Mike does the same blend of high concept feeding intense characterization.) I've always thought of Temporal Flux as the Tracy Torme of SLIDERS fan fiction -- he hasn't written much, but his influence is everywhere. I used to suspect that Torme and TF were the same person.

(They're not.)

I didn't really like HELLO LONESOME -- the story was good, but the cinematography was baffling. Important details and props were out of frame, the placement and blocking of actors did not reflect the underlying emotions of the scene, etc.. DOPAMINE was a solid work, but the artificial intelligence plot was very awkwardly represented in the form of a clumsy 3D model. It was a few rewrites away from excellence. UNIVERSAL SIGNS is also very strong, but the soundtrack was very intrusive.

I don't know this for certain, but I get the sense that Sabrina Lloyd is like Robert Floyd -- acting is important to her, but other things have taken priority. Floyd will act for friends now and then if asked; I got the sense that Sabrina was personally acquainted with these filmmakers and would come out of retirement briefly for them before returning to her studies at Columbia and focusing on her daughter.

I've been having some very odd issues lately. Driver updates were messing up my wifi, my touchpad was not controlling the cursor at times, the onscreen display for brightness would get stuck. Older drivers would only partially install, newer drivers would make things worse. Then I started having trouble opening my portable browsers. The culprit has turned out to be, strangely, Avast Antivirus. It was locking down administrative functions and preventing my programs from running and my drivers from loading. *sigh* I've switched to AVG for now.

Hope those who celebrate it had a good Thanksgiving - and those in the UK had a good "why the hell do these people from across the pond eat Christmas dinner a month early" day. (I've been both.)

For my part, I entertained my chosen family - all of whom are at least somewhat familiar with Sliders - by holding up a candy eyeball (left over from Halloween) and proclaiming it to be a "Kromagg after-dinner mint".

186 (edited by omnimercurial 2015-11-27 12:45:13)

You should have put "Seasons Greedings" on the Box! big_smile

Edit:

But yeah Happy whatever time guys and gals. wink

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

Being as Tech upgrades etc crops up in conversation a lot and frankly I feel rather lost.... I thought I would ask if any advice on how I could upgrade my samsung galaxy ace from android 2.3.6 to android 4.0?

I ask as a friend bluetoothed me an apk. And ot says my phone is not a compatable version of android which I assume (hopefully correctly?) means it is too old.

Rassin Frassin Ageist Minimum System requirements.... Why in my day...... *COUGH*

Sorry about that smile

But.... Any help?

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

I'm nervous about telling you what ROM to install without a phone model number. What is it? There's several Galaxy Aces. I had a blue one once.

Or you could consider picking up a Moto G! :-D

I experienced some truly baffling tech wonkiness today that I still find inexplicable. I have an Asus T100 Chi. It's basically a Surface Pro 3 -- but cheaper in most respects. Aluminium casing -- but the keyboard is batteryless Bluetooth. Intel Atom processor with eMMC storage and a mere 2 GB of RAM -- but it's good enough for my purposes. There's no USB port, but there is a microUSB 3.0 port and I bought a microUSB 3.0 to USB 3.0 adapter and plug in a USB 3.0 hub to give myself four USB ports when I need them.

Today, I plugged my wireless mouse transmitter into the hub -- and instantly, the wifi connection cut out. For whatever reason, it was creating interference. Later, a friend had some flash drives and an external hard drive -- both USB 3.0 -- and both weren't detected when plugged into the hub!

I later discovered, much to my horror, that no USB 3.0 devices seem to work properly in this hub and three different wireless mice had the same effect of knocking out the wifi.

I just got home and dug up an old USB 2.0 hub. I plugged it into the adapter, plugged the adapter into the laptop -- and this USB 2.0 hub picks up the USB 3.0 devices just fine -- AND the wireless mouse adapter isn't interfering with the wifi.

WTF?!

I had a poke around on some developer sites -- every Samsung Ace ROM out there is underdeveloped and full of bugs. The Ace devices are the sort of low-end Android phone that I wish manufacturers wouldn't sell.

No one should ever buy a phone running Android on a single-core processor with 500MB of RAM and 8GB of internal memory. An Ace with its 4GB is an overpriced, barely functioning dumbphone on Android -- freezing, lagging and perpetually short of RAM and storage space.

The absolute minimum for Android should be 16GB of memory with 1.5GB of RAM and a 720p screen. Any Android phone with less than 32GB should have a microSD slot. 16GB is just enough to install all your apps while using Link2SD to move the app-storage to the microSD while leaving the app APK and cache on the internal memory. (MicroSDs are too slow for running the APKs.)

Thankfully, the market for low-cost devices with these minimum specs is getting better. The 16GB Moto G (3rd Gen, 5-inch screen) meets these standards -- although Motorola released an 8GB version that doesn't. The Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 (5.5 inch screen) also makes my minimum grade -- although Alcatel released a 4.7 model that fails.

The other thing to think about when buying a phone is the accessories -- nobody should buy a smartphone unless they can also find a fitted case and tempered glass screen protector or a fitted case with a screen cover. A smartphone is fragile and easy to drop. And these low-end phones are always lacking protective accessories, meaning they're inevitably maimed if not utterly destroyed. If you can't find protective accessories on eBay or Amazon, don't buy the phone.

These under-16GB Androids have no business being bought and sold. They are incapable of performing smartphone functions well and completely defeat the purpose for which they were made. The Moto G 3rd Gen 16GB is the bare minimum for a smartphone; anything less shouldn't be a smartphone.

You've probably all seen this already, but I just found it - and laughed my head off. http://www.theonion.com/article/sliders … -me--17765

My Mobile Network ee/Orange have been texting me about Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals so I will ask if either of these recommendations is on offer.

Thanks ireactions! smile

I would give you serial number of my Galaxy Ace but from what you are saying it is probably pointless.... Plus I'd have to turn the phone off and on which takes AGES. So i may post it latter but not right now.

On another matter..... I was getting nostalgic for my 90's Sci Fi Kids shows like Tommorrow People 90's Ver, Girl from Tomorrow, Ocean Odyysey (Ocean Girl) etc and was surprised by how much of that stuff was Australian.

Then I saw talk of "My Secret Identity" which you have referenced before ireactions and am curious if it was any good?

I saw the 90's American shows Eerie Indiana and Secret World of Alex Mack but yeah the Show with Jerry O'Connell as far as I know did not air in the UK on Terrestrial UK Channels.

Having given you my minimum standards for an Android smartphone -- there are some additional things that I think are worth a little extra money.

For me, I won't buy a smartphone without a removable battery. The reason for this: now that I've discovered gel cases and tempered glass screen protectors, I'm very confident that my Samsung S3 (2012) will last me many more years. But all batteries degrade over time and smartphone batteries are constantly being charged and discharged until they lose capacity.

Smartphones with sealed batteries (like the Moto G and the Alcatel Idol 3 that I suggested) will eventually lose the ability to hold a full charge or anything close. If the manufacturer has no battery replacement option, then an aftermarket shop may perform the replacement -- but I've always found that such shops do poor work; the phone is dismantled and then reassembled, but the casing or screen may be slightly crooked, the catches and pins will be loose -- smartphones weren't made for surgery.

So, if you're prepared for some extra cost, I'd choose something like the Samsung S5 Neo where you can buy replacement batteries from reputable suppliers like Anker.

Another neat feature I would pay extra money for (but haven't yet) -- waterproofing. Smartphones are fragile, they get dropped and they can get wet. The Moto G I recommended is waterproof which is surprising to see in a budget smartphone. And a battery-removable, waterproof phone like the Samsung S5 Neo is definitely worth the added cost.

And finally -- this feature doesn't necessarily cost money -- but I wouldn't buy an Android smartphone unless it were officially supported by Cyanogenmod. I have very little patience with manufacturer-altered versions of Android; the Samsung version of Touchwiz is like Samsung tried to use Android as a basis for their own operating system and the result is a conflicting mess. Android's simple menus become an overwhelming selection of 30 - 40 toggles and 5 - 6 submenus of vague categorization. Cyanogenmod is the Google version of Android with some added customization options (root access, overclocking, forcing apps to close, button-remapping) and that's the OS I prefer to use.

I'm especially pleased that my Samsung S3 is able to run Android 5.1.1 and will eventually run Android 6.0. Each version of Android has been a performance improvement, requiring fewer system resources with improved memory usage and multitasking. The phone never feels dated thanks to Cyanogenmod's updates.

I liked MY SECRET IDENTITY up to a point, I guess. It is a silly children's show and it is written in an often clumsy, maudlin and over-the-top fashion with a frequently didactic, lecturing tone that can be insulting to its audience no matter what their age. For example, there's an episode where an Evil Company CEO declares that the wildlife in the forest should be killed since they're near extinction in order to build a shopping center on the grounds -- evil is rarely so overt and incapable of basic public relations.

I also got annoyed sometimes with Andrew Clemens (Jerry O'Connell) failing to use his superpowers for no adequately explained reason, delaying and hesitating despite having superspeed to go with the superstrength.

I enjoyed the first two seasons -- but I strongly disliked the third and final season because the crimefighting angle of the show became diminished to the point where it barely existed, and Andrew would use his powers in maybe 1 - 2 scenes or not at all, and the show became a half-hour teen soap with the fantasy elements largely absent. It bothered me that Andrew's use of his superpowers was so confined, so limited, likely due to budget -- but there were times when he didn't seem superpowered at all.

It's intriguing how Jerry O'Connell's roles have odd similarities to Tom Welling, who also played a superpowered teenager in SMALLVILLE and wore the same clothes as Quinn in Seasons 1 - 2.

EERIE INDIANA, in contrast, was a brilliant children's show that was so intelligent it went over the heads of most adults. It's like a junior version of THE X-FILES except that all the paranormal monsters were meant to be personifications of adolescent trials. The town of Eerie, a magnet for paranormal events, is never explained; the show never provides any reasoning for why ghosts and monsters and supernatural forces are drawn to it -- and on some level, any explanation would lessen the series. The demons of EERIE INDIANA are the demons of growing up. It's a great show and it didn't last nearly long enough. It spawned a thoroughly pedestrian sequel and some extremely mediocre tie-in novels, including one tragic volume that (*sigh*) tried to offer a scientific explanation for why Eerie is eerie. The TV show, in contrast, had a final episode that did offer answers, but the answers were maddeningly obscure. Also, EERIE INDIANA was an incredibly funny show. Beautifully produced and filmed with amazing direction and eccentric touches from producer/director Joe Dante.

I like THE SECRET WORLD OF ALEX MACK a lot -- it's another fun teen superpower show that kept its identity throughout as a series about secrets and adolescence. It's not a life-changer, it's not filled with brilliance or cleverness -- but it's heartfelt and sincere.

Haven't seen the others.

Hmm. I guess -- I would be okay with buying a phone with a non-removable, non-replaceable battery so long as it was on one of those 2-year contracts with an upfront payment less than $75 USD and absolutely no subsequent payments on the hardware. None of those absurd deals where you get a phone for $0 at first but pay $5 - $30 a month afterwards in addition to your monthly bill. Basically, you'd be getting this phone with the understanding that after two years, the battery will be worn out -- but then your contract would be up and you could get another phone at a similar low cost.

I had some $0 options recently after accidentally destroying my Samsung S3. I could get the Alcatel Idol One Touch 3 for $0 or another S3. I ended up going with the S3 because I already had accessories for it, but I guess the Idol 3 would have been fine too. That said, the S3 is a ghastly phone by 2015 standards -- or at least it is until you install Cyanogenmod.

I just got myself a Nexus 5x. I loved the Nexus 4 despite the difficulties of maintenance - as I saw another reviewer say, there's just something about the Nexus phones that has this hard-to-pinpoint appeal.

The "non-replaceable" battery, I admit, is a frustration... but it's not really non-replaceable if you know what you're doing. I'm not sure any phone battery is, really. It just takes a little extra care.

The appeal of Nexus phones, I suspect, is the operating system. It's clean, simple, straightforward and well-organized. Google does a nice job with Android, but manufacturers such as Samsung, Sony, HTC, LG, Xiaomi take Android and change the colours, layout, controls, nomenclature, graphics, fonts, symbols -- often taking a pre-existing operating system and changing it in random, inconsistent, unconsidered ways.

Some post-Google modifications are light and subtle. Sony's Xperia line adjusts the visuals while leaving the layout and controls alone. Some are ridiculously out of control; Samsung takes a simple series of nine toggles in the notifications shade and makes it 30 - 50, and takes a simple scrolling list of settings and turns it into an incomprehensible tabbed list of categories that aren't organized in any decipherable sense. LG has nonsensical tabbed selections in its settings as well. Xiaomi puts all the app icons on the homescreen instead of giving you your choice of homescreen icons and an app drawer the rest of them. And the noises! All the beeps, bleeps, buzzes and dings at every tap. Noisy and distracting.

The Nexus line is a way of getting away from all that nonsense. It's stupid to take an operating system that works just fine and mutilate it on the most superficial level in an attempt to make Android into a completely different operating system when the Android skeleton is never going to be obscured unless the code is used as little more than a raw base, like an Amazon Kindle tablet's operating system. Nexus phones are Android as designed by the Android team. Android that's coherent, consistent and clear.

To be fair -- earlier versions of Android lacked a lot of features that manufacturers had to build in, but there's no need for that anymore, hasn't been since Jelly Bean.

Your link seems to indicate the Nexus 5x battery is very much non-replaceable. And there's no microSD expansion, sadly. The reason I like a microSD -- it lets me buy a cheaper phone but still have lots of storage for multimedia as well as little tweaks where Link2SD shifts the app data to the card while leaving the app on the phone. I bought the Samsung Galaxy S3 twice -- but I installed Cyanogenmod both times. Cyanogenmod is indistinguishable from the Nexus version of Android except there's extra settings available (overclocking, animation frame-rate adjustment, superuser access). I guess I like Samsung hardware with Nexus style software.

I missed out on choosing which Phone I could get under the offer. *sigh*

Got something for free sent to me though so cannot complain too much.

It uses Kit Kat Android ver.

I think I'm going to save up for something like what you reccomended as sadly window of opportunity for ee discount is closed for 6 months upon which time a new offer will be available.

Although it is possible a new unscheduled offer might crop up at some point.

What'd you get?

I thought you would have at least considered this one:
http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/pay- … ct/details -- low up-front cost, low priced plan, waterproof, modern Android, microSD card expansion.

I bought my Samsung S3 for $0 on a two-year contract where I'm obligated to stay with my monthly service until 2017. I don't make any payments on the phone, but if it were destroyed, I could pay off the current balance of $200 or so (it goes down by 12.50 each month until it hits a balance of $0 by the end of my contract) and then get another $0 phone. Currently, the only $0, 16GB contract phone is the Alcatel One Touch Idol 3, which doesn't have a replaceable battery.

So, I'd either grit my teeth and spend $200 on that phone -- or I'd buy something a bit older from local tech shops with a lot of unsold, discounted inventory. I'd probably get something like a 16GB Samsung S2 HD from 2012 for $150, root it and install Android Lollipop. It's hard for me to recommend the aged and discounted option without knowing the market in the UK, sadly. I guess there's the $150 Moto E with its 8GB of memory. I would hazard a guess that 5.3GB of that 8GB is usable and after installing apps, you'd be lucky to have 1GB of free space left and I wouldn't recommend running Android with so little free space.

Given the fragility of phones, I never recommend spending more than $150 on a smartphone, but some people can get the latest and greatest for $150 because they use higher-cost monthly data plans. I never use enough mobile data to justify it, so my $150 tends to put me in the mid-range of the market.

I am not on Contract I"m on Pay as you Go Scheme instead.

Free Handset is Alcatel. Not sure of Serial Number, will check it.

Same size screen as my Galaxy Ace but Battery life seems better.

The Alcatel Pixi 3. Oh. Hmm. Well, it was free.

Out of curiosity, I went to Amazon.co.uk and looked for unlocked phones for less than £100 that are unlikely to blow up in your face or melt or burst into flame.

It also looks like you could get an 8GB Moto E for £90. The Moto E is a decent phone with limited storage, but if you root the phone, add a microSD card and install Link2SD, you can move about 45 per cent of the app files to the microSD and also store all your media files there, which would leave the Moto E just enough storage to run Android well.

ireactions wrote:

The Alcatel Pixi 3. Oh. Hmm. Well, it was free.

Out of curiosity, I went to Amazon.co.uk and looked for unlocked phones for less than £100 that are unlikely to blow up in your face or melt or burst into flame.

It also looks like you could get an 8GB Moto E for £90. The Moto E is a decent phone with limited storage, but if you root the phone, add a microSD card and install Link2SD, you can move about 45 per cent of the app files to the microSD and also store all your media files there, which would leave the Moto E just enough storage to run Android well.

Thanks I'll check that out! smile

Saw another old nostalgic Aussie Kids Sci Fi the other night called Escape from Jupiter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Jupiter.

I think I can add a small revision to my warnings that sub-16GB phones will not turn out well. I stand by that -- Android will constantly need to download software package updates, app sizes swell with each update, and you'll out out of memory errors very quickly. However, if you can root the phone -- and you'll need to find out in advance of buying it if there's a way to root it -- then you might be okay.

Link2SD is an app that requires root access, and once you have it, you can shift a good chunk of your app files to a microSD card and bypass the 8GB limitation. The Moto E can be rooted. However, if you can't find anything about root access for a sub-16GB phone, you shouldn't buy it.

Currently, my apps use 4.27GB of space, but I've been able to put 2.27GB of that onto the microSD card in the phone. I don't play games, so I could probably manage on an 8GB phone with it's 5.3 GB of storage if I had to -- so long as I had the option of using the microSD. Without it, and on 5.3GB, I'd probably be hitting out of memory errors.

203 (edited by omnimercurial 2015-12-07 05:37:18)

Sounds frustrating. I hope I am successful in navigating it all.

Was reading up on The Tomorrow People's 70's, 90's and recent version as of 2013 and read a Fansites Author whose Passion for The Tomorrow People m
felt very much in line with our Shared Passion/Fondness for Sliders.

Here is a Link: http://www.effdee.demon.co.uk/new%20TP% … hy/why.htm

I'd love to read what She thinks of the 2013 Version but sadly she has not updated recently. sad

I never saw the 70's version and I'm aware my nostalgic fondness of the 90's reboot makes my preference for it over the 2013 version slightly biased but I feel justified even so as so many opportunities in the newest were squandered in terms of Plot, Characterisation etc.

Here is a wiki Link on the Different versions. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tomorrow_People

Sure some of the acting in the 90's one is shocking but they are Child Actors.... What is 2013's excuse considering how old/mature the Actors playing Teens are?
A really good Actor with Comic Timing Skills named Danny John Jules was in one Ep so there was some pretty good Acting here and there.

Have you seen the three iterations made for TV ireactions?
Have any other Sliders Fans here seen the Three in order to buld a balancesd view or Preference?

There are also some Audio Plays akin to the Dr Who lost years continuation Stories, which also attempted to bridge the 70's and 90's Shows despite their differences.

Here is a Youtube link to the first 2 Eps of the 90's Series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIY7m_xP … ata_player

omnimercurial wrote:

The Tomorrow People

I absolutely adored the 90s incarnation of The Tomorrow People. Back in the day, I was just devouring any form of media that contained the concept of the next stage of human evolution - which is right around the time that I started seriously getting into X-Men - and is obviously why I (albeit initially) lapped up Heroes. Teleportation, Telekinesis and Telepathy; I just loved the idea of these kids discovering these powers and trying to protect the world, regardless of how cheesy it was - but it was a children's show and it was a product of its time. And gosh, forget Peter Petrelli, Adam is cool as hell, lol.

I later began researching the show and discovered that it was based off of the original 70s incarnation. Though I have watched several serials, I could not take to it for various reasons - the main one being that it was designed specifically to be a competitor to Doctor Who. But that was what put me off of it. There was too much technology and space travel and all kinds of shenanigans, whereas the 90s version (don't get me wrong here - we've got alien pods, an egyptian deity, and a megalomaniac cereal mogul on the loose) but it felt more broadly grounded and I felt an attachment to the situation and the characters.

My dislike of the latest incarnation is well documented so I'll try and keep it brief. It made everything that I loved about The Tomorrow People and made it extremely bland and dull.

Everything from the poor acting, to the generic Jumper teleportation and telekinesis effects, to the soap opera 'whose bed is she going to sleep in now' love triangles, to the complete unlikability of the characters or what they were even striving for. And I hated how every TP was basically evil. Every single new one every week was evil. One of the things I loved about the 90s version was that everyone had their own unique spin on their powers. Adam was a fantastic teleporter because he has been doing it the longest. Megabyte could access computers. Ami had visions and once accessed some serious telekinetic ability when she was under control. But all the characters in TP, aside from the main who could stop time, had nothing that made them stand apart. And the whole chosen one / promised land story was just so boring.

I just didn't like it. I really wanted to because of my past love of the show, but like my issues with Parallels, they took the basic concept of the show but forgot to include the heart, the characterisations, basic plot development, and ultimately, believability and association. I felt no affinity for these characters, the story or their situation. None, at all. I do blame the CW for a lot of influence on what had the potential to be an awesome show. It could have turned out completely different on a different network, but that's the cards dealt I guess.

I attempted to piece together an audio drama reboot production of The Tomorrow People, but stopped when the CW reboot news came about. Now it's kinda killed a lot of my love for the show.

Wow! You have managed to pinpoint most of my own gripes/criticisms of the 2013 bland offering! smile

I implore you not to let the awful USA reboot sour you on the 90's version.
I feel similar about Series 3 of Sliders which wounded me and have so far not been masochistic as to inflict S4 & S5 on myself.

I hold S1 &S2 of Sliders too dear to my Heart to allow Peckinpahs Faux Pas that followed to diminish them and I hope you can compartmentalise the different iterations of The Tomorrow People while using 2013's ver as a map of what to avoid.

I for one would be very excited to see/read any Fan Material you have regarding either a 90's continuation or Reboot done right!

I think the 90's will always be my favourite ver even if I see the 70's offerings but I can see some things of value that could be looted/borrowed from it even if only as broadening material and inspiration.

206 (edited by omnimercurial 2015-12-07 06:34:07)

Pyrokinesis, Psychic Healing or Phasing are Elements which could be introduced and mesh well with as in Canon some Individuals having greater aptitude in one skill compared to others.

They all get the Ability Package but some are weaker and others stronger in their own area.

There is a sad lack of The Tomorrow People Fanfiction out there too.
I did read a good 11 Chapter Stargate/TP 90's ver Crossover fic over on Fanfiction.net but it is sadly unfinished.

You are so very right when mentioning Heart and Optimism, Pluckyness, Curiosity etc.

2013 was so unremittingly bleak while masquerading as Deep and Edgy... *sigh*

I absolutely hated Ultra's Anti Power Technology it was bullshit pardon my language.

A.I. I could just about stomach but only just.... as experimental tech.

Sure Indoctrinated/Blackmailed/Traitorous/Greed driven TP's working for the Man/Alphabet Soup group/Black Op is possible but all that Tech? NO!

They might want to research, contain and control TP's but from a narrative point it is boring and takes away the mystery of these powers and people if they already know it all and can use said countermeasures.

The so called threat TP's pose is non existant if you mass produce those Power Jammers and distribute them everywhere.

OMG, you haven't seen the rest of Sliders? yikes  I do see some real gems and value in bits and pieces of the latter seasons, but 1 & 2 was where it was at for me personally before I felt that the main concept of the show just got eternally skewed.

Definitely agree that elements could be taken from both the 70 and 90s version in a new reboot. I haven't searched for TP fiction but that's sad to hear that there aren't that many. It's as annoying as the current conversation we're having about a lack of Sliders fan endeavours outside of fan fiction.

And lol! I didn't even get to the power jammers! Oh don't get me started on that (but you quite eloquently put up all the issues with that technology).

Yeah it was bull..... *ahem* sorry, nearly fell into that profanity trap again.

The 90's ver dabbled in anti TP tech but it was experimental, unsafe and based on theories that could affect normals too.

The idea was to interfere with either Spatial Perception, Balance etc to disorientate and incapacitate/restrain.

And that's yet another reason why I prefer the 90s version. Everything was experimental and no one had been able to realistically capture one of the TP before, or even confirm the full range and scope of their abilities.

There was one part in the Premiere for Season One that was a little shocking related to that which was not in the Unaired Pilot.

Even now I am divided on it.

The Scientist who is played by the same Actor (Now well known in the UK for his role in Medical Drama/Soap "Holby City" as a Surgeon) in the Pilot and Episode One explains he used the experimental tech on a Tomorrow Person prior to the Talent Show Location use of it and KILLED HIM because it was not finished being tweaked. Quite casually and slightly embarassed said "There was not much left of the poor Chap".

On the one hand that addition added some genuine menace and dramatic tension but it was also pretty dark and unpleasant.
I sort of like it but also dislike it. Strange eh?

ME: "I would never roleplay as Quinn. I would never try to be him -- I could only fail."
MATT: "You are roleplaying as Quinn. That's what SLIDERS REBORN is."
ME: "I am not. I'm roleplaying as Dan Harmon if Dan Harmon were a fan of SLIDERS and NBCUniversal inexplicably gave him the series and 15 million dollars to do three SLIDERS movies."

I wonder how much SLIDERS REBORN would actually cost to film. DOCTOR WHO is on about 2.25 million US dollars per episode and the most expensive thing in REBORN hundreds of thousands of small digital clocks flying through the air and flying into the vortex. I guess there's the location filming (Vancouver) and the shopping mall that's been converted into an impromptu art and creativity studio and the giant pillar of digital clocks. But SLIDERS' greatest asset is Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo sitting around bantering. That's the greatest special effect ever made. The finale is going to become like the climax of a superhero movie, however -- less MAN OF STEEL superfights and more SMALLVILLE-style supersaves, however. I would be curious to see someone estimate the necessary budget for this someday.

The weird thing is that TV shows can work wonders with a couple million dollars, but the same exact thing on the big screen would cost hundreds of millions. The system is flawed.

I named my book! I know that people will hate the name, but I decided that I don't care. I just haven't officially told the public the name yet, so stay tuned for that. At least that one small part of my stress headache is gone!

Actually, for some reason "Time Again and World" keeps popping into my head as I try to figure out how people will respond to my title. smile

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Yay, new book coming from Informant soon!

I updated Android on my phone to a new version of Cyanogenmod. And now the phone turns on every time I take it out of my pocket or if the phone is screen down and I flip it over.

Is that a good thing?

My brother installed a custom rom, and his screen went black whenever the phone was active. Something with the proximity sensor. There was no way to answer or end calls. I think he worked something out though.

I'm thinking that I might enter this first book of my series into the Kindle Scout program. If I do and it gets enough votes, I could end up being published by Amazon, which would get me some money right out of the gate and hopefully some more promotion as well. But the question is, could I get enough votes? I guess we'll see. If not, I just publish like I normally do.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Before installing a new ROM, I back up the current install.

The phone turning on when coming out of my pocket is definitely helpful, but I found that it was something of a battery drain. The light sensor was left on even when the screen was off, in order to detect a change in light level (like coming out of a pocket or being flipped from screen down to screen up). It's cute, but it's not necessary. Good luck with the Scout program! You've got my vote!

I've found a way to convert all my SLIDERS REBORN scripts to ePub. It's easier for reading on a phone, but the script format is obliterated. In script format, you have:

QUINN
                                Do what you have to do, Remmy --
                                just get back here in time for the
                                slide!

WADE
                                (protesting)
                                Quinn!

REMBRANDT
                                (warmly)
                                Quinn!

Quinn nods encouragingly and Rembrandt turns and follows after the Maggie double, leaving the sliders behind.

ARTURO
                                How can you encourage that
                                blundering trauma victim to venture
                                off alone into an unknown world?

QUINN
                                You realize that of all of us,
                                Rembrandt's the longest-surviving
                                slider and the only one who didn't
                                die.

And in ePub, you get this:

QUINN: Do what you have to do, Remmy -- just get back here in time for the slide!
WADE: (protesting) Quinn!
REMBRANDT: (warmly) Quinn!

Quinn nods encouragingly and Rembrandt turns and follows after the Maggie double, leaving the sliders behind.

ARTURO: How can you encourage that blundering trauma victim to venture off alone into an unknown world?
QUINN: You realize that of all of us, Rembrandt's the longest-surviving slider and the only one who didn't die.

I guess I could learn to love it.

Can you send me one of the scripts in script format? I'd like to see if some of my Kindle publishing brains could work out that problem.

I usually convert to mobi rather than epub, but the tools that I use might be able to do both.

All the scripts are at www.earthprime.com/reborn in PDF, unless you're looking for a different format.

Part 4 is the only one that isn't a script.

The ePub conversion is done via my new screenwriting software, Fade In. I don't love the lack of quotation marks; I feel like they add a clarity to what text is spoken and what text is description.

From offscreen, Laurel screams. The sliders rush to her. She points fearfully at a display case. It holds the lifeless corpse of a man in his late twenties.

WADE: "Deric?"
REMBRANDT: "What? This is the psychic guy?"
WADE: "No -- the other one! Man. He's looking good!"

Laurel looks ready to cry.

LAUREL: "That guy -- he's dead! He's been mounted like a trophy! He -- "
WADE: "It's fine, he's a robot."

Laurel looks relieved.

I feel like the lack of quotation marks there results in a lack of clarity.

Hmm... I will see if I can work with a PDF. If not, I can try working with a doc or rtf type file. They are usually easiest to play around with.

Plain text version of "Reunion" with layout
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uasb7gtjqo1p … t.txt?dl=0

Plain text version of "Reunion" without layout
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a661ezyn774k5 … t.txt?dl=0

I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Okay, I've been working on it. Going to send you some private messages now.

So, I think I might have to reconsider my opinion of minimum resolutions for Android phones. I just bought a Moto E (2nd gen) for my mother. I was setting it up -- rooting it, installing Cyanogenmod, setting up a firewall, transferring app storage to microSD storage -- and the 4.5 inch screen is 960x540 pixels, which I declared to be too low. Given how accident prone my mum is, I felt it best to stick to the $100 range for a smartphone and I knew I could get around the 8GB limit with my superuser technqiues -- but the screen actually looks pretty good. 4.5 inches doesn't really require the 720p minimum I advised. That said, unless you're comfortable rooting phones in order to shift app storage to external memory, I recommend you get 16GB of storage minimum because 4 - 8GB just isn't going to be enough for a full Android install with apps.

I was so impressed with the Moto E that I went back to the dealer and bought another one for myself. This is a pretty good phone for someone who can bypass the 8GB limitation and primarily uses a phone to read blogs, web articles and ebooks and respond to instant messages. I wanted my mum to be able to text on a large and clear screen, but I didn't expect such capable, responsive performance with unskinned Android and really nice build quality as well. I think I'll give my superphone to my niece.

I had a similar experience this past week where I realized that Coke Zero costs 16 per cent the price of Red Bull and supplies largely the same amount of caffeine.

I finished setting up my mother's new smartphone today. With aggressive use of Link2SD, the phone now uses only 806MB of the 5GB partition, and that's with a full complement of apps (tools, social media, web article readers). The apps take a a few extra seconds to start up than they would if the DEX and LIB files were running off the internal storage, but they function smoothly once they've started. I don't usually install DEX and LIB files to a microSD card as they tend to crash or run slowly (or at least they do on my Lollipop running Samsung S3), but the Moto E's processor and RAM seem suited to doing this.

I'm kind of amazed that this $100 Moto E phone is doing what would usually cost you about $300 or so off contract. I was expecting to be completely out of space once all the social media and messaging apps and a small number of games were installed; instead, this phone can do everything a flagship can -- it just needs a little longer to start up.

ME: "I have a question and I need you to take it seriously."
MATT: *weeps openly*
ME: "Try to imagine that we are filming SLIDERS REBORN for real as I imagined it -- that inexplicably, SLIDERS as it aired had and maintained a huge audience right to 2015  but rights issues prevented a revival until today."
MATT: "Hahahahhahahahahahaahhahaah!"
ME: "Yahoo paid for REBORN in a round of media investment they would come to regret, okay? Kari Wuhrer is hired to play 20 - 25 or so Maggie doubles throughout the five-part series. Dan Harmon is writing the scripts."
MATT: "Aaugggggggggggggggggh!"
ME: " ... do we address how/why Maggie's breasts are suddenly smaller?"
MATT: "I almost just shot snot out of my nose."
ME: "Why did every single one of her doubles get breast reduction surgery?"
MATT: "If it's critical for continuity, just have her wear fake tits in her shirt."
ME: "I had a dream where Sabrina Lloyd showed up at my doorstep to demand we not do that."

I guess the simplest route -- REBORN takes the view that the Earth in the Pilot had a Maggie Beckett double that we never met. And all the Maggie doubles are variants on that Earth Prime Maggie. So maybe the Earth Prime Maggie never got breast implants.

225 (edited by intangirble 2015-12-22 21:39:39)

Alternatively: they always were that small. Only as seen through the distorted, deranged vision of Barnette and Peckinpah were they ever anything else; a folie a deux, if you will.

One suspects that a military sort such as Maggie would opt for a compressing sports bra anyway.

Another thing Matt and I were debating -- I genuinely believe that Quinn Mallory is the greatest fictional character of the twentieth century, a pop culture icon who stands next to Indiana Jones, Spider-Man, Mr. Spock, Batman and Luke Skywalker. Or would if not for the fact that SLIDERS became a complete and total joke. Matt says that it's cute that I think that, but it's not remotely reflective of reality. But I genuinely think of Quinn as a superhero.

First, he has a distinctive silhouette and a costume that makes him recognizable from every camera angle. The moppy hair and Jerry O'Connell's build make him stand out in shadow, as does the pose of him holding the timer. The flannel and jeans are as memorable as any superhero uniform. Next is his secret origin from the trauma of his father and the desire to create something incredible that ripped a hole in reality, followed by a series of experiences that, combined with innate abilities, gave him a distinct set of superpowers: he possesses superhuman intelligence that allows him to resolve the plot in a very short number of pages, and he also possesses extensive knowledge of individuals and their private and personal details as gathered across thousands of encounters across the multiverse.

And also, Quinn has some severe social handicaps but also a limitless sense of compassion for the weak and a fierce sense of morality. This is a wanderer across time and space who is also a social crusader driven by an insane desire to oppose tyranny and injustice in every form he finds it. He also contains some incredibly complex philosophical complexities. Quinn is a gambler and risktaker who causally leapt into a hole in the air, but he is also a seeker of truth who is angry, suspicious and defiant of authority for its own sake.

I think his defining moment as a truthseeker is in "Luck of the Draw"; he is unwarmed by creature comforts, unimpressed by luxury and has no patience for trite platitudes and establishment fictions. He demands explanations and answers where most people would just sit back and sip the free champagne. This is a hero who believes in the power of knowledge to liberate, to guide and to vanquish the cruel and wicked.

(But he's still a messy dresser, a clumsy eater, a socially awkward isolationist whose megawatt smile conceals a lonely and secluded personality, a ridiculously guilt-driven egotist who blames himself for every single one of the world's ills and whose inability to maintain relationships has left him living in a basement for the last 15 years with his mother being his only social contact. He also hasn't had a date since 1996.)

This is a hero who is in some ways absolutely invincible, at least on an intellectual level. But this is also a hero who is incredibly vulnerable because at the end of the day, that limitless intellect is within a human shell and Quinn is as physically susceptible as anybody else. It's not difficult to write Quinn into situations that force his back against the wall, but it's also not difficult to adjust the situation to have him resolve the issue very quickly as the story demands it. His superpower is ultimately the writer's superpower; the ability to shift the story in illogical, irrational and unlikely directions that are made convincing through the device of Quinn's intelligence. And that's what makes this character unique, special, distinctive, invincible, immortal and eternal. Sherlock Holmes. Dr. House. Horatio Hornblower. James T. Kirk. Quinn Mallory.

Matt thinks that's just nuts.

Just been reading this.....  http://www.geekofalltrades.org/stories/buffyverse.php

Bizaare to say the least.

The Writer seems to be trying to Shoehorn Sliders and Brimstone into Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Quinn from a Reality where Gillian of the Spirits events went wrong.

That Pre Christianity Shamaness who tricked the Soul Hunting Detective.

And a Blank Business Man Character from Buffy.

Randomly, I have to say that watching "Love Gods" after knowing Wade's canonical fate is a very surreal experience. To see the whole breeder camp thing be used as the basis for such a lighthearted episode - and they never called back to it, to how Quinn and Remmy (well, mostly Quinn) might have felt while they were in there.

This whole show is so detached from itself, at Fox's insistence.

Well...it's been a long while, everybody.

Where do I start? I believe the last time I was in here, I had just moved back to San Diego, CA from Little Rock, AR. Got busy with two jobs, applying (or trying to) writing programs, and self-publishing (my four book DARKCHILDE coming out some time early next year).

Due to all of that, my Sliders fanfic spinoff site ALTERNATE SPIN went on a long hiatus. But I admit that I hate leaving things unfinished so it has been on my mind as of late. Getting internet access at the home to the point that I can play catchup on a lot of genre tv shows (I'll make over to the HEROES REBORN thread eventually...is there still a TV Season thread here?) has also factored into me coming back from my 'slide.'

I still see a few of my favorites here. How you all been?

Happy sliding. Merry X-mas!!!

PS. Also a big fan of the TOMORROW PEOPLE. You are not making me scared to watch the reboot. lol.

Stuslide
SLIDERS: ALTERNATE SPIN
www.angelfire.com/ky/sliderspinoff
"Just think of the possibilities."

Wow! I'm a big fan of your Site! Glad you have rejoined us Orrible Lot over here! smile

I have to say the idea of your Fics being continued made me Squee a little.... How shameful.... big_smile

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on 2013's Tommorrow People too!

Maybe you could do a blow by blow episodic review thread?

intangirble wrote:

Randomly, I have to say that watching "Love Gods" after knowing Wade's canonical fate is a very surreal experience. To see the whole breeder camp thing be used as the basis for such a lighthearted episode - and they never called back to it, to how Quinn and Remmy (well, mostly Quinn) might have felt while they were in there. This whole show is so detached from itself, at Fox's insistence.

How about in "The Fire Within" when Wade expresses the desire to have a baby?

Or even the pilot and "Double Cross" and "Season's Greedings" and "The Exodus" highlighting her affinity for computers...

Welcome back, Stuslide. Always nice to see a familiar name return.

Oh God. It's been pretty rough around here as computers go. Windows 10's latest round of updates left my home theatre PC a stuttering mess (it would boot only to a flashing blue screen that could have triggered an epileptic seizure) and my laptop can't even log on anymore.

I'm reinstalling Windows 7 on the HTPC. The laptop only ever ran Windows 10. After I reset Windows 10 on the laptop, I'm going to turn off Windows Update entirely -- security fixes are pointless if the computer isn't usable after the updates. I'll schedule myself to try Windows on Microsoft's terms in six months' time. Windows Vista was slow and Windows 8 was ill-conceived with it's nonsensical touch interface crashing into a keyboard+mouse setup, but Windows 10 is by far the buggiest, most error-prone version of Windows I've ever used.

So, I went to a Q&A session on Saturday where actress Tatiana Malasny was answering questions and a lot of the questions annoyed the hell out of me. Half of the questions weren't questions, just the person describing their theories on what Malasny must think, going on for 3 - 5 minutes with their attempt at mind reading and then expecting Malasny to, I guess, let this person put their words in her mouth?

"With this project, you must be trying to say that you're not just someone in science fiction projects, you can do a lot of other things too and you want people to see................. " The other half of the questions asked were questions that could be answered with yes or no. "Did you enjoy ______?" "Do you like ___________?"

I don't know what it is about being handed a microphone that turns people into either rambling POV pushers or polar questioners. I wish that, at such sessions, there could be little cards distributed on how to form effective questions or some guidelines projected on the screen. "Avoid asking questions that can be answered with yes or no." "Please phrase your question in 2 - 3 sentences." "Please restrict your remarks to questions rather than statements."

I was at the Captain America panel at Wizard World New Orleans this past weekend, and I got a chance to ask a question to the stage full of just about everybody from Chris Evans to Jeremy Renner to the Russo brothers.  I know that these panels are expected to be softball questions; more entertainment than substance, and I thought I had a decent one based on an old Cap What If story where Cap ran for President.  I wanted to ask if Chris and Anthony Mackie would live out the old story and join the presidential election as running mates given that it's back in style for celebrities to run for president these days.

I made the mistake of leading off with the words "presidential election", and Mackie jumped out of his chair and started screaming at me "No!  No!  No!  You are *not* asking this question!  Just go!" as he pointed at the door.  I was laughing my head off about it and kept trying to finish the question, but he was just adamant and frankly angry.  I don't think he ever did actually hear what my question was; he wouldn't stop screaming until I finally walked away still laughing.

So inadvertently, I added something interesting to the panel after all.

That is insane. But quite an amusing question!

I think there have been two attempts to tell stories of Captain America running for President that made it to print, but altered shortly before publication so that Cap wouldn't actually run and the storyline would be aborted.

I remain fascinated by the idea of using my Windows 10 laptop as a tablet. Detach it from the keyboard to read webpages and ebooks and comics, reattach to type. So far, however, I've spent more time trying to fix this thing as a tablet than I have using it as one. The battery life was awful and needed third party software to create an appropriate power plan so as not to drain the cells in four hours (it now gets ten).

The app store crashed and the E-mail software locked up and the operating system has had to be reinstalled twice and Windows Update has had to be sabotaged to keep it from regularly bricking the unit.

The Kindle app for Windows is hopelessly slow, the Facebook Windows app is an unreadable abomination and I've had to make do with equivalents from the Chrome web store. Yes, that's right -- the only way this Windows 10 tablet works effectively is to raid the Chromebook domain. The mouse needed four separate driver reinstalls before the touchpad would function properly, the attempt to use USB 3.0 created so much wifi interference that I had to go back to USB 2.0 AND the touchscreen keyboard is pretty much unusable.

Occasionally, the screen stops rotating regardless of the orientation. And tablets should be instant-on, but this one takes about 25 seconds to boot and another 15 to log in. This laptop cost $500. My aunt bought a Surface Pro 3 with dock and stylus for $2000 and she has had all of the problems mentioned above.

... but I dunno. I feel like, because I've spent more time fixing this than using it, maybe I haven't given it a fair chance. But I have the feeling that trying to use a Windows 10 tablet as a tablet is simply going to consist of constantly trying to fix it before putting the screen back onto the dock and accepting this is, was and ever shall be a laptop and only a laptop.

My Birthday today! o_O wink

Happy birthday Omnimercurial!

Belated Thank You! smile