Topic: Game of Thrones

we discuss quite a bit of subjects and shows on this board but I never see any discussions regarding an immensely popular show, GOT.
I'm at a loss. There has to be fans out here and on these boards so I'd like to lead you in some discussion.

The show just completed its 6th season and here are my thoughts

First let me say that I thought season 5 was a letdown. aside from the Sand Snakes and any scene with Emilia Clark in it, the season left me just disappointed.
On to Season 6...
I enjoyed it. I felt that they tied up some things, gave closure to some characters, and it was good to see some longtime bad guys get their well deserved violent and bloody deaths.

I understand that they may have 13 episodes left and the producers are planning two short seasons (why not just do a 13 episode final season??)

In the finale I could see that things are starting to wrap. And we say goodbye to some long time characters who were killed off this 6th season. Some glad to see go, others were surprising...

Re: Game of Thrones

KerrAvon wrote:

I understand that they may have 13 episodes left and the producers are planning two short seasons (why not just do a 13 episode final season??)

Well, I think the logistics of filming has become the major issues.  I heard someone on the radio talking about how the cost of the entire first season was about $6 million, and they're now spending $10 million *per episode*.  I've also heard that, because of the vastness of the shoot (where they're shooting all over the world to get the different locales of Westeros/Essos) that they're basically in production the entire year.  So I think they wanted a little simplification of their schedule.  And I can't blame them for that.

My GoT experience has been a bit unique because I started the show late (around the end of the 2nd season), then I caught up, watched the 3rd season live, and *then* I read the books.  Then, starting with season 4, I was one of the people who'd read the books before the show (so I knew about the Purple Wedding, etc).  Then, after season 5, I was back in the dark with everyone else.

If you're someone who really likes the show and wants their experience enriched, I suggest the books.  Around season 4, things really start to differentiate so it becomes an "alternate universe" of sorts, but for the most part, the main story is still the same.  There's some stuff the show does pretty well (consolidating characters), but there's a few things that I really prefer in the books.  And a couple of really fun/interesting storylines that the show has decided to skip/cross over.

Either way, I've become a pretty big fan.

I haven't watched this past season yet, so I can't comment on that.

I do watch the show, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I don't get why it is as big as it is. I think that the cast is excellent and the show is visually beautiful. I just don't think that the writing is very good. It's a fun summer show for me, but not something that I would watch in primetime, during the normal season.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

I just started watching a year ago. I had resisted it for so long, never caring for the genre. I finally started checking them out at the local library and after  Season 1  I was hooked. then I started reading the books. I do not subscribe to HBO.

Recently  I got a free three months of HBO so this past Sunday I binge watched the first 9 episodes and caught the finale Sunday night.

i

OMG! Jon Snow is the son of (Google Google Google)... oh. Wait, doesn't that make him... (Google Google Google)... oh. Still... huh.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Hahaha.  Sorta unfair. tongue

The way I figure it : he is the son of Raegar Targaryen...and Lyanna Stark
that makes him Sansa's cousin
Daenyrys nephew...
Sorry

So the significance of R+L=J has to do with having Targaryen blood so that he can be a dragon rider.  There's still one missing Targaryen (with theories about just about everyone that's still alive being that final one).  What's interesting is that, as far as I know being an avid reader/watcher, it doesn't really change his standing.  He's no more an official Stark or an official Targaryen as he's ever been.  He definitely doesn't have any more claim as the heir to Winterfell (which should still be Bran), and he definitely doesn't have a claim to the Iron Throne ahead of Daenerys. 

The other interesting item is that Bran is the one who knows it through a vision he had.  But even if a kid showed up who claimed to be Bran Stark (remember, most of the people who knew Bran are dead - one of the storylines from the book revolves the Lannisters taking a random girl and saying she's Arya Stark and no one disputes it) said he saw it in a vision, I don't know if anyone would even believe it.  They would believe the one person who was there to witness it - Howland Reed - but he hasn't appeared (in the "present") in either the books or the show.

The vision also leaves things open to change. Was she raped or was it a relationship? Was Jon's father even Raegar?

The story has always been that she was captured.  I think that was known.  What wasn't known was that she was pregnant.  That was the lie.

I think that the reason , Lyanna wanted her child protected as she knew that her former beau King Robert would want to dispose of any of Raegar's offspring both legitimate and bastards as well. Hence the lie that Ned told his wife and children about Jon's parentage.

What should Daenyrys first stop be? To the Iron Islands to deal with Euron Greyjoy and secure Yara's claim to the Iron Islands? Or should she take her elite army and assault King's Landing?  I would dispatch a large host from Highgarden and Sunspear to take Casterly Rock leaving the Lannisters no place to hand their swords...

Let Jon take care of the north, return Edmure Tully to his rightful place at Riverrun and the castle. Clear out the Freys and should any of Walder's grandsons want the Twins, so be it but they must bend the knee to Jon Snow first.

Dispatch one dragon to  take care of the Night Walkers...and Jon having Targaryen blood will ride that dragon to vicitory.